Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 12, 8:10 PM

Aug 2017
I've had my fair share of recommendations, and some of them ended up being the hottest garbage I could ever experience.

In some ways, the fact that I got recommended such anime, almost made me want to completely stop talking to one person.

But I gotta ask... what are some of the WORST recommendations you got from other people (such as your friends)?

For me, one of them is Kyochuu Rettou, which I'll admit... is a neat idea and was pretty gruesome, but it didn't really go to the levels that I was hyped up for, and thus... I was sorely disappointed by the end.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 12, 8:34 PM

Aug 2022
Being a video gamer (as my profile pic implies), I was recommended to watch Gamers!

And oh boy, it felt like I was scammed. The gaming aspect of the show was little more than window dressing. Take away the gaming stuff, and barely anything would change. If anything, I agree with folks who said the series should be renamed from Gamers! to Misunderstandings!

JaaShooUhh said:
For me, one of them is Kyochuu Rettou, which I'll admit... is a neat idea and was pretty gruesome, but it didn't really go to the levels that I was hyped up for, and thus... I was sorely disappointed by the end.

I watched that movie in both sub and dub. If you ask me, the dub voice actors knew they were in a cheesy direct-to-DVD monster movie, and said "f*ck it". This is one of those rare instances where the dub made the movie into "so bad, it's good" territory... at least in my book.
Jun 12, 9:14 PM

Oct 2010
being disappointed is part of the fun in recs, you never know what you're getting into so it's exciting. Worst rec I ever get is musoku tensei, 2 of my pals were saying it's the best thing ever and the spice level is off the charts, turns out it's just your usual moe blob isekai where nothing happens. I don't think I ever saw character designs so ugly than here.
Jun 12, 9:55 PM

Oct 2013
@Catalano Mushoku Tensei has more and more things that I have issues with as it goes on, but being a "moe blob" show isn't one of them. I'm not even sure it's "moe" enough to be considered one.

Anyways, mine is Higarashi. You want to talk about a bore fest...Literally the only thing I remember is the fingernail scene. But I kept watch hoping anything else would grab me. I ended up wishing it had gotten a dub similar to Ghost Stories, because it's the only way it would have been even remotely interesting.
Jun 12, 10:27 PM

Jun 2024
Sorely disappointed with Hoshiai no Sora.
Jun 12, 10:47 PM
Nov 2020
If you are looking for disappointments you can always watch That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime and Overlord they are even highly rated on MAL so the disappointment is compounded by the realization that MAL is literally filled with trashy Isekai watchers now who have the media literacy of a 6 year old.

Jun 12, 11:05 PM

Feb 2020
Probably Lucky☆Star and Upotte!!
Jun 12, 11:09 PM

Feb 2024
Naruto series
I had a friend who talked alot about Naruto and its epic moments and its characters and so and so and my expectations skyrocketed
I want my watchtime back, even staring at wall would have been better
Jun 12, 11:34 PM
Aug 2021
Reply to AshuAmbrose
If you are looking for disappointments you can always watch That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime and Overlord they are even highly rated on MAL so the disappointment is compounded by the realization that MAL is literally filled with trashy Isekai watchers now who have the media literacy of a 6 year old.

@AshuAmbrose Whaterver u say, those 2 are in my favs, so I never believed them to be garbage.
in recent times, like current airing s3 of TTIGRAAS is low-mid, I admit, but Overlord? Never was for me, and never will be too. I even rever to him as my lord.
Guess every1's taste differs.

Coming back, the worst one definitely has to be Liar Liar, if u guys were there, u'd know that this one anime was so hyped to be a mix of COTE and NGNL. This made me get the stakes for it high, and it didn't even stand up to half of it.

Other bad ones would be Cautious Hero and Fruit of Evolution
Jun 12, 11:41 PM

Apr 2020
https://myanimelist.net/anime/40397/Maoujou_de_Oyasumi?q=sleeping%20princess&cat=anime

One of my friends recommended this to me and he told me that it's one of the funniest comedies he has seen. I ended up falling asleep from episode one.
There are only two anime who did that this and My home hero and for sure I didn't fall asleep because they were calming.
Jun 12, 11:56 PM

Sep 2016
JaaShooUhh said:
what are some of the WORST recommendations you got from other people

Komi-san, someone recommended it in the Koe no Katachi forum, but the 1st episode already made me cringe so hard that I dropped it right away.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 13, 12:03 AM

May 2021
I watched Tokyo Revengers off a recommendation from a friend a while back. I had never seen a "delinquent" themed anime at the time so I was semi interested to see what it was about. Yeah, no. Ended up hating it. Perhaps an unpopular opinion as the database has it rated at almost an 8. I could not get invested in it whatsoever. I was able to finish it at least, but it definitely took a good push from my friend to keep me watching.
Jun 13, 12:10 AM

Dec 2021
If I say Angel Beats, well... honestly, nobody's actually gotten mad at me over mentioning how "nothing" it was. My sister said it was one of the most important anime to her, so I was a bit disappointed by it feeling like a whole heap of nothing. I'm going to be honest, it wouldn't have been any better if it was longer either.

I guess also Taiho Shichau zo, which despite looking promising ended up being really uninteresting for me. Someone here, please convince me that the TV series isn't as bland as the OVA so I can stop procrastinating on it.

EDIT: That second paragraph was a genuine request. I want to know ahead of time if the TV series is in any way better than the OVA.
Daviljoe193Jun 13, 11:21 AM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Jun 13, 12:11 AM

May 2018
"some of them ended up being the hottest garbage I could ever experience"

Sasuga otakutachi! Gomi no aji dakara.

Like even when some people like the same show, they do it for different reasons, it's kind of natural to disagree about entire titles.

Recommending stiff is a tricky business and as far as I can tell, everybody is blatantly disregarding any type of objectivity, fair game and personal approach. We are just shoving our favorite titles in the faces of random newbies disguised as "gateway anime", "a must see" and "anime classic"...which is creating a bias about what the entire media is. The battle/sport shounen fans being to blame the most of course.

PS
I stopped taking recommendation seriously many years ago, but before that, somewhere around the 00s I got baffled by some highly praised titles.

Dragon Ball - the supposed ultimate action adventure was about an annoying kid being a jerk to everyone, also the animation was cheap and the story was dragging out unnecessary. So I waited and waited for Dragon Ball Z, which was the actually praised one...turned out I liked the previous show better.

Evangelion - it was praised to me as being better than Akira or something, but visually wasn't as impressive and worst - as content was an incomprehensive mess of unlikable and unrelatable characters. Still not sure what its point is "Everybody is unlikeable jerk, even you! Don't you recognize yourself in Shinji?" or maybe "Here's a bunch a cringe characters, hate watch them for fun!".

Ghost In The Shell - OK, it's a great movie, but you need some context for the franchise or maybe to watch beforehand some Mamoru Oshii movies like Patlabor and Patlabor 2 to get used to its style. Without context it's a confusing experience.
alshuJun 13, 1:37 AM
Jun 13, 12:45 AM

Jun 2019
86 was pretty damn disappointing. It was sold to me as a deeply political mecha anime, but it turned out to have close to no mecha and the most nothingburger politics.
Jun 13, 12:46 AM

Feb 2021
Why Kyochuu Rettou? I completely read the manga and like it. I read Dai Kyochuu Rettou by the way and also like it.
Jun 13, 1:27 AM

Jul 2021
watch citrus its so trash i didn't remember anything about its story 2 months after i finished it all i remember is being bored and the anime being shit

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jun 13, 2:28 AM

May 2021
JaaShooUhh said:
I've had my fair share of recommendations, and some of them ended up being the hottest garbage I could ever experience.

In some ways, the fact that I got recommended such anime, almost made me want to completely stop talking to one person.

But I gotta ask... what are some of the WORST recommendations you got from other people (such as your friends)?

For me, one of them is Kyochuu Rettou, which I'll admit... is a neat idea and was pretty gruesome, but it didn't really go to the levels that I was hyped up for, and thus... I was sorely disappointed by the end

Off the top of my head

- Don't Call It Mystery (manga)
Someone thought this would be a good one to get me into josei since i like psychological mysteries... they unfortunately didn't take into account i hated 7 Seeds, which is by the same mangaka as DCM

- Shinsekai Yori
A secret santa gift, on paper something i should've enjoyed a shit-ton, in practice it has elements i loath, a quick look at the stuff i dropped at a 1 would make this obvious
The funny thing is... this was actually a back-up gift cuz they thought i might not like my main gift Tokyo Revengers, which ended up becoming one of my favs xD

- Assassination Classroom
My cousin recced me this... it's not bad overall, just has a certain character i wanna beat the shit out of, i was expecting this character to be one of the villains of the series considering her behaviour, and if that was so i would've probs continued the series and enjoyed it quite a bit, but turns out she made a very nonsensical turn over a new leaf

- Mars Red
Was sold to me as a very exciting thriller... i was board out of my mind after just 1 ep.

So is Kyochuu Rettou the anime that made you wanna stop talking to the person who recced it?
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Jun 13, 2:30 AM

Mar 2023
People told me that AOT and LOTGH were peak fiction. But i was so bored from watching it.
Jun 13, 3:00 AM

Sep 2018
JaaShooUhh said:

I'd never do that. Everyone's taste is different and the way it works isn't always that clear, some seemingly minor things can affect your enjoyment way more than you might think.
Jun 13, 3:41 AM

Aug 2012
A lot so far. One such anime is also my most hated anime of all time: Yasuke.

More recently, I found ItaKiss to be rather underwhelming despite the praise it's received.
Jun 13, 4:04 AM
Oct 2013
I don't think I have ever take someone's recommendation seriously and only watch it because of them alone. Not really as per the title but, I do have certain recommendations that's on point with the outcome that they desired like how Gibiate is hot garbage and how Mushoku Tensei WN end up to be my favourite LN of all time, that I have to take a year to let the feelings of finishing the webnovel sink in. Well, it's like when you have finished what you think is a masterpiece and everything you read or watch after seems cannot satiate that hunger to have that similar level of quality and feelings.

Edit: thinking back, demon slayer and tensura probably got me disappointed the most due to sheer praised they received.
niknasrJun 13, 4:23 AM
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Jun 13, 4:08 AM
✦⋆𓆩melily𓆪⋆✦

Aug 2020
Reply to Mayahuel
Sorely disappointed with Hoshiai no Sora.
@Mayahuel Umm, you're joking right???? It's literally so good...
Jun 13, 4:08 AM

Apr 2021
I'm the one who normally gives out recommendations so i can't really think of any. Maybe my friends have some hehehe
Jun 13, 4:21 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to Jahra
86 was pretty damn disappointing. It was sold to me as a deeply political mecha anime, but it turned out to have close to no mecha and the most nothingburger politics.
@Jahra as someone who likes the show, it has politics but I won't call it political at all, the politics are pretty bare bones and only ment to help discuss the theme of realistic vs idealistic vs pessimistic points of view... Saying that politics is a selling point of the series is bizzare
Jun 13, 4:21 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to Jahra
@Jahra as someone who likes the show, it has politics but I won't call it political at all, the politics are pretty bare bones and only ment to help discuss the theme of realistic vs idealistic vs pessimistic points of view... Saying that politics is a selling point of the series is bizzare
Jun 13, 4:28 AM

Feb 2024
"What are some of the WORST recommendations you got from other people?"
Deadman Wonderland maybe? Absurdly terrible show, but I couldn't drop it cuz of that girl.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jun 13, 5:04 AM
Mar 2024
Jujutsu Kaisen.
And no, it's not me trying to be contrarian, but rather it's just a type of shonen that I didn't enjoy. I actually prefer series that slow the pace down, and JJK was too "fast" for me. And the amount of people glazing it certainly didn't help, but it ended up being a very disappointing show for me, and I couldn't even really enjoy the visually impressive fights in S2 simply because the whole time I was just confused and thinking "am I actually supposed to care about any of these?"
And the manga was even worse. It's the first shonen manga that I dropped more than twice; I even got through the entirety of Seven Deadly Sins without dropping it that much. Visually and narratively, lots of stuff just felt too WTF to me for me to enjoy it at all.
Jun 13, 5:08 AM

Aug 2017
Reply to DigiCat
JaaShooUhh said:

For me, one of them is Kyochuu Rettou, which I'll admit... is a neat idea and was pretty gruesome, but it didn't really go to the levels that I was hyped up for, and thus... I was sorely disappointed by the end

Off the top of my head

Someone thought this would be a good one to get me into josei since i like psychological mysteries... they unfortunately didn't take into account i hated 7 Seeds, which is by the same mangaka as DCM

- Shinsekai Yori
A secret santa gift, on paper something i should've enjoyed a shit-ton, in practice it has elements i loath, a quick look at the stuff i dropped at a 1 would make this obvious
The funny thing is... this was actually a back-up gift cuz they thought i might not like my main gift Tokyo Revengers, which ended up becoming one of my favs xD

My cousin recced me this... it's not bad overall, just has a certain character i wanna beat the shit out of, i was expecting this character to be one of the villains of the series considering her behaviour, and if that was so i would've probs continued the series and enjoyed it quite a bit, but turns out she made a very nonsensical turn over a new leaf

- Mars Red
Was sold to me as a very exciting thriller... i was board out of my mind after just 1 ep.

So is Kyochuu Rettou the anime that made you wanna stop talking to the person who recced it?
@DigiCat nah, just one of the bad recommendations I got.
Jun 13, 7:24 AM

May 2021
Reply to JaaShooUhh
@DigiCat nah, just one of the bad recommendations I got.
@JaaShooUhh So which one was the so bad you almost stopped talking one?
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Jun 13, 8:05 AM

Mar 2020
Deadman Wonderland and Angel Beats sucked so hard, I just wanna ask the creators wtf were they on? 3/10 and 4/10

I keep suggesting full metal panic! the show is great and the manga is absolutely the greatest thing ive ever read especially Sigma. but everyone ignores it cause it has mecha and thats not hip any more to new gen of veiwers.
Jun 13, 10:15 AM

May 2021
Reply to enigmasauce
Deadman Wonderland and Angel Beats sucked so hard, I just wanna ask the creators wtf were they on? 3/10 and 4/10

I keep suggesting full metal panic! the show is great and the manga is absolutely the greatest thing ive ever read especially Sigma. but everyone ignores it cause it has mecha and thats not hip any more to new gen of veiwers.
@enigmasauce Full Metal Panic is pure awesomeness! And that's coming from someone who's not a big fan of mecha
Jun 13, 11:02 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to DigiCat
JaaShooUhh said:

Off the top of my head

- Shinsekai Yori

- Mars Red

DigiCat said:
- Shinsekai Yori

I checked your dropped list now and I still would never have guessed. I see you don't like Elfen Lied either, but a lot of people don't like that show as much.
その目だれの目?
Jun 13, 11:17 AM
Sleepy

Feb 2023
What timing. Just completed Hana to Alice: Satsujin Jiken after it was recommended by a few people on Aku no Hana's entry. Shit sucked, animators spent as little effort as I did trying to look at the damn screen.
Jun 13, 11:39 AM

Oct 2016
I think Kakegurui and Angel Sanctuary, though there were more like indirect recommendations of sorts.
Jun 13, 12:20 PM

Aug 2021
Senko san was not bad, but not as remotely as entertaining as Kobayashi's Dragon maid
Jun 13, 12:40 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to 7_3
What timing. Just completed Hana to Alice: Satsujin Jiken after it was recommended by a few people on Aku no Hana's entry. Shit sucked, animators spent as little effort as I did trying to look at the damn screen.
@7_3 Hana to Alice can't be low effort animation, because it was rotoscoped just like Aku no Hana, that's why it's in the recommendations.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 13, 1:10 PM

Dec 2020
Reply to AshuAmbrose

@AshuAmbrose
Bro you gave tensura a 7 what are you talking about?
Jun 13, 1:11 PM

May 2021
Reply to Lucifrost
DigiCat said:
- Shinsekai Yori

I checked your dropped list now and I still would never have guessed. I see you don't like Elfen Lied either, but a lot of people don't like that show as much.
@Lucifrost Now i'm curious how you came to this conclusion :3
Jun 13, 1:13 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Daviljoe193
If I say Angel Beats, well... honestly, nobody's actually gotten mad at me over mentioning how "nothing" it was. My sister said it was one of the most important anime to her, so I was a bit disappointed by it feeling like a whole heap of nothing. I'm going to be honest, it wouldn't have been any better if it was longer either.

I guess also Taiho Shichau zo, which despite looking promising ended up being really uninteresting for me. Someone here, please convince me that the TV series isn't as bland as the OVA so I can stop procrastinating on it.

EDIT: That second paragraph was a genuine request. I want to know ahead of time if the TV series is in any way better than the OVA.
Daviljoe193 said:
guess also Taiho Shichau zo, which despite looking promising ended up being really uninteresting for me. Someone here, please convince me that the TV series isn't as bland as the OVA so I can stop procrastinating on it.

I'd say the one thing is that a bunch of regular characters that never show up in the OVA appear in the TV show, so that diversifies the cast quite a bit. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same; I always looked at the OVA in retrospect as the first 4 episodes of the TV show anyways (even the DVD sets treat it like that).
Jun 13, 1:19 PM

Mar 2021
After hearing how well written and funny Maison Ikkoku was while reading around, I wasn't impressed.

Also Fate/Zero, especially the first season which bored me to tears.
Jun 13, 1:25 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to DigiCat
@Lucifrost Now i'm curious how you came to this conclusion :3
@DigiCat
I wouldn't say I came to any conclusion. I just don't see how it's obvious you wouldn't like that anime.
その目だれの目?
Jun 13, 1:47 PM

May 2021
Reply to Lucifrost
@DigiCat
I wouldn't say I came to any conclusion. I just don't see how it's obvious you wouldn't like that anime.
@Lucifrost For example, you've watched Elfen lied, Made In Abyss, and Shinsekai Yori, would you say they have similar ways of dealing with certain themes?
Jun 13, 2:19 PM
Mar 2024
Re zero season 2 is a big big one. Massive massive downgrade from season 1. Re zero was my favorite anime until season 2. Even the producers said it was badly received. There is gundam ibo, gundam 00, witch from mercury. Also people said tensura. Spy x family, mha, konosuba megumin spinoff
Jun 13, 2:57 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to DigiCat
@Lucifrost For example, you've watched Elfen lied, Made In Abyss, and Shinsekai Yori, would you say they have similar ways of dealing with certain themes?
@DigiCat
I suppose I would, but I don't think they're equally good. There's a chance you could have liked just one.
その目だれの目?
Jun 13, 3:38 PM

May 2021
Reply to Lucifrost
@DigiCat
I suppose I would, but I don't think they're equally good. There's a chance you could have liked just one.
@Lucifrost I mean yes, they're all different in tersm of how good/bad they are objectively, but there's a pattern in my dropped list where specifically anime that deal with certain topics in a certain way all get a 1, sugesting i really can't stand that type of depiction
Jun 13, 3:45 PM

Jan 2021
Monster probably, it is praised as some great psychological drama but it fails in all accounts (including its cartoonishly evil and poorly written antagonist that is Johan) and the ending just tells you that you wasted your time because it tells you something you should have guessed 70 episodes ago. In retrospect, I should have expected it, seeing how the first person who recommended it to me was a friend in school when we were like 12 years old even if I didn't watch it until some years after that.
Jun 13, 5:45 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to DigiCat
@Lucifrost I mean yes, they're all different in tersm of how good/bad they are objectively, but there's a pattern in my dropped list where specifically anime that deal with certain topics in a certain way all get a 1, sugesting i really can't stand that type of depiction
@DigiCat
That makes sense, but I still don't understand what those specific topics are.
その目だれの目?
Jun 13, 8:22 PM

Apr 2015
Attack on Titan, I watched, like the first or second season and that was it. I just don't see how a show about people fighting giant naked people and getting eaten by them is something I'd like.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jun 14, 5:58 AM
Nov 2020
Reply to Akuya
@AshuAmbrose
Bro you gave tensura a 7 what are you talking about?
@Akuya The only reason I did that is because the novel readers kept on insisting that "the 3rd season is where Tensura reaches its peak!!!", "It's finally happening!!!", etc. So believing them I gave this show a decent rating thinking that all of this build-up would finally be worth it when season 3 came out and now that it is out I am finally realizing I should never believe what an LN reader tells me EVER. But I will give them the benefit of the doubt and watch this season to the end before I finally drop this thing and adjust my ratings.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What makes an ISEKAI enjoyable for ya?

JaaShooUhh - Jun 9

40 by phokingbeast »»
21 minutes ago

» If all the characters in your Favorites (profile) were put in Boxing rings, which ones would win their fights?

IpreferEcchi - 2 hours ago

5 by KodomoKomodo »»
24 minutes ago

» What anime girl's underwear do you wanna buy?

Catalano - 6 hours ago

13 by MadanielFL »»
28 minutes ago

» Which characters can be shipped with almost anyone?

IpreferEcchi - 29 minutes ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
29 minutes ago

» What adds value and devalues anime to you?

JaaShooUhh - 8 hours ago

14 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.