Forum Settings
Forums

Digitalization of the modern world and anime

New
May 6, 6:11 AM

Apr 2012
Although we still live in a time when anime entirely dedicated to the Internet and technology like Lain or Jelyfish are quite rare and original, I couldn’t help but notice that more and more characters are actively using the Internet, various gadgets and technologies, although 5-6 years ago embedding communication in LINE in "Tsuki ga Kirei" seemed unusual and revolutionary. To such an extent that if before I always held back a chuckle when the characters mentioned the local equivalent of YouTube or Twitter, then after a whole series of shows from the 20s, it became as commonplace as mentioning McDonald's or Amazon. We even expect the first full-fledged anime about Vitubers in one of the coming seasons.

So, how do you feel about the gradual increasing digitalization of everyday life and, accordingly, the depiction of this in animanga? Do you want more of that, or would you rather see the characters' lives more similar to life before the active use of the Internet?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 6, 6:16 AM

Dec 2015
I don't mind it, even if it's in extreme level for parody/main plot reasons. If the life of characters living in nowadays is depicted of how life in nowadays look like than there should be even more scenes of Instagram, Tik Tok, Youtube, Facebook [messenger] or other social media/sites like that.

Not sure but I have heard Line quite a lot of times in anime [can't tell which is the oldest with this], there's now Youtu.... NewTube in Viral Hit, Jellyfish which broke everything showing off the Vtuber, OBS live streaming, Discord server chats and a real Capcom game gameplay and stuff like that. Usually anime just show a little glimpse on the site main menu etc.
May 6, 6:22 AM

Sep 2016
Never paid attention to digitalization in Anime worlds and I also don't care because it's not the reason I watch Anime.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 6, 6:23 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Zettaiken
I don't mind it, even if it's in extreme level for parody/main plot reasons. If the life of characters living in nowadays is depicted of how life in nowadays look like than there should be even more scenes of Instagram, Tik Tok, Youtube, Facebook [messenger] or other social media/sites like that.

Not sure but I have heard Line quite a lot of times in anime [can't tell which is the oldest with this], there's now Youtu.... NewTube in Viral Hit, Jellyfish which broke everything showing off the Vtuber, OBS live streaming, Discord server chats and a real Capcom game gameplay and stuff like that. Usually anime just show a little glimpse on the site main menu etc.
@Zettaiken These two shows still stand out from the total, as their premise is directly dedicated to this. For example, Viral Hit explains the nuances of video platforms, while Jellyfish talks a lot about the work of illustrators on the Internet. You can also remember Oshi no Ko with a whole arc about how a character was canceled on Twitter due to a scandal during the filming of a web reality show (damn, looks like Doga Kobo really decided to take memeiness to new heights). But I couldn’t help but notice how the most ordinary romantic comedies or battle shonens characters constantly refer to each other’s Twitter pages or love for streamers.
May 6, 6:38 AM

Jul 2013
It does not matter because we ultimately get NTHE...
May 6, 6:41 AM

Jun 2010
I think authors are catching up with time, even though they may be living in the previous century. Depending on the setting or era of a series, the use of digital gadgets and technologies should be and will be more often in ages to come. In sci-fi and fantasy series, there are also scenes, gadgets, machinery, equipment and even knowledge and skills that are not within our era or simply reflect the future. For example, gundum series started in 60s/70s by which our technology had not been discovered or reached the stage of advancement yet. However the series was widely accepted and became popular. On the other hand, if a series is set in a historical era, then the use of modern technology may not be so appropriate.

All in all, the premise of the geographical setting is important so that a series can portray the story and plot line, and properly presented.
May 6, 6:43 AM
Dec 2021
Very interesting question. I think it all comes down to how well they handle it and the genre. I have nothing against characters using apps like YouTube, Twitter, etc. and them being mentioned. Quite the opposite. Those little mentions help the world building and make me connect with the characters if I know what they’re talking about. If I don’t then it just goes straight over my head. For example in Isekai the often have these menus with their stats that they can pull out. Since I don’t play video games I don’t really care about those.

I’d also appreciate that if they integrate commonly known apps they don’t change the name to something too unserious. I feel like that harms the immersion.

May 6, 7:08 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to ProGoddess
I think authors are catching up with time, even though they may be living in the previous century. Depending on the setting or era of a series, the use of digital gadgets and technologies should be and will be more often in ages to come. In sci-fi and fantasy series, there are also scenes, gadgets, machinery, equipment and even knowledge and skills that are not within our era or simply reflect the future. For example, gundum series started in 60s/70s by which our technology had not been discovered or reached the stage of advancement yet. However the series was widely accepted and became popular. On the other hand, if a series is set in a historical era, then the use of modern technology may not be so appropriate.

All in all, the premise of the geographical setting is important so that a series can portray the story and plot line, and properly presented.
@ProGoddess So you think that such things should have appeared more often in anime a long time ago?

@Eleben That is, for you this is more an element of immersion and character development than the wow effect of “actual tags”?
May 6, 7:11 AM
Dec 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@ProGoddess So you think that such things should have appeared more often in anime a long time ago?

@Eleben That is, for you this is more an element of immersion and character development than the wow effect of “actual tags”?
@RobertBobert immersion, yes. Character development, no.

May 6, 7:13 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Eleben
@RobertBobert immersion, yes. Character development, no.
@Eleben So, the fact that a character likes Twitter will tell you that he is a social/trendy person, but will not affect his development in any way? I meant personality development, not character development as part of a story.
May 6, 7:22 AM
Dec 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@Eleben So, the fact that a character likes Twitter will tell you that he is a social/trendy person, but will not affect his development in any way? I meant personality development, not character development as part of a story.
@RobertBobert ah, ok. It definitely helps me to understand what kind of person the character is. Like in your example where they’re using twitter it'd add to the depth of the character.

May 6, 7:25 AM

Feb 2024
I don't like gadgets in anime, because I watch it with voice-over translation and they rarely translate text on phone screens. Apart from that, I don't mind.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 6, 7:27 AM

Apr 2018
I am indifferent to it, in sci-fi works decades ago I saw characters doing something similar using machines and devices that would probably have a similar function to what we use today. And also how current adaptations come from works from a few years ago, it is normal that you can see works with a more "current" setting because it is easier to write something based on your time than to write something from the past on which you probably depend on your anecnotic experience or to carry out an investigation to avoid the major inaccuracies (or at least present a clear basic idea to the public). And much more complicated to invent a lore of the future that is not a recycling of others.
RachibaMay 6, 7:31 AM

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
May 6, 7:53 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to LoveYourSmile
I don't like gadgets in anime, because I watch it with voice-over translation and they rarely translate text on phone screens. Apart from that, I don't mind.
@LoveYourEyes Yeah. It's hardly intentional, but I find it funny that these days the characters are always reading things like that out loud.
May 6, 8:12 AM

Nov 2019
I think it is a welcome addition, it beats having bland buildings (in the way of scene design where a parody fast food chain wcdonalds could replace mcdonalds) or similar (prop design where a mobile device with a pear replacing an apple phone) It probably depends of the context of the anime too, comedy and slice of life anime make use of this to liven their moods.
May 6, 8:13 AM

Jul 2023
I liked seeing 2chan references in Steins;Gate and Zankyou no Terror (They mention Tor in this one as well)
May 6, 8:42 AM

Jun 2017
Nothing wrong with it in principle. It can be used well, to give another nuance to interactions between characters, convey information in an alternate way, for comedy, etc.; and it can be used badly, as a lazy or unimaginative way of presenting dialogue (because let's face it, the effort required to animate LINE messages is minimal). But that is just saying that it's like any other narrative device used in the medium: all depends on how you use it.
It's also more realistic. Especially if you are introducing young people in the 2020s, who rely on social media for 80% of their interactions according to a survey that I just made up: it would be unrealistic not to show them immersed in the digital world.

May 6, 8:44 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Tirinchas
Nothing wrong with it in principle. It can be used well, to give another nuance to interactions between characters, convey information in an alternate way, for comedy, etc.; and it can be used badly, as a lazy or unimaginative way of presenting dialogue (because let's face it, the effort required to animate LINE messages is minimal). But that is just saying that it's like any other narrative device used in the medium: all depends on how you use it.
It's also more realistic. Especially if you are introducing young people in the 2020s, who rely on social media for 80% of their interactions according to a survey that I just made up: it would be unrealistic not to show them immersed in the digital world.
@Tirinchas According to surveys, 80% of young people’s communication now takes place online?
May 6, 8:50 AM

Jun 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
@Tirinchas According to surveys, 80% of young people’s communication now takes place online?
@RobertBobert Yup. And according to my calculations, these last three posts on MAL have increased that figure by 0.000000013%.

May 6, 8:57 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Tirinchas
@RobertBobert Yup. And according to my calculations, these last three posts on MAL have increased that figure by 0.000000013%.
@Tirinchas Well, if communication between teenagers and young adults looked like this in anime, then half of the anime would look like those mockumentary films about the ghost in the Internet.
May 6, 11:05 AM

Oct 2017
I don't mind media in general reflecting the modern era. Sure, it may start out as a bit jarring at first, but a s time goes on it becomes a bit of a time capsule. Look at Jojo Part 8 which took place during its year of release in 2011 and took 10 years to finish serialization. By the time it ended sure it felt "modern" but the tech they used wasn't exactly what we use today, so by the time part 9 came out in 2023 and started mentioning a lot of modern tech, music, and even stuff like COVID it did feel a bit shocking since the book was kind of stuck in 2011 for the past 10 years, but it quickly just feels normal. It definitely adds a level of relatability for the time of release, but definitely quickly becomes a time capsule with how rapidly evolving our global culture is in terms of tech, music, fashion, slang, social values, political issues (to an extent), and so much more. I definitely do enjoy seeing it as it can be really nice to kind of encapsulate certain elements of a specific time period that was contemporary to the time of the original release of the work. Sure, it can make a series feel "dated", but in a way that can work to the benefit of the story and worldbuilding. The Persona 3 Reload and Persona 5 video games also do this really well by stylizing their text message system menus to feel era appropriate with 3 having a more flip-phone aesthetic and using era appropriate language and email compared to 5's modern phone design language and use of SNS. It adds a level of realism for the time and grounds it to the time period. Elements like modern or era appropriate tech should 100% be used if you want to immerse your reader/viewer/player in a story and world
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
May 6, 11:06 AM

Jul 2021
RobertBobert said:
So, how do you feel about the gradual increasing digitalization of everyday life and, accordingly, the depiction of this in animanga? Do you want more of that, or would you rather see the characters' lives more similar to life before the active use of the Internet?

I would like to see more of this in anime, because I'm not sure if anime and manga have tackled this topic seriously.

I've seen commentary that the recent film Everything Everywhere All At Once is an attempt at depicting our existence in the age of infinite content and social media, and I agree. There are so many ideas, information and overall "noise" out there that it can be terrifying and numbing; we're presented with freedom to do anything and become anything we want, but that doesn't necessarily make us happy or help us get the simple stuff in our lives right.

If there's already good anime that actually talk about the internet/"digitalization" in this manner, beyond topics like online fame or VR gaming, I'd love to hear it.
May 6, 12:16 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to perseii
RobertBobert said:

I would like to see more of this in anime, because I'm not sure if anime and manga have tackled this topic seriously.

I've seen commentary that the recent film Everything Everywhere All At Once is an attempt at depicting our existence in the age of infinite content and social media, and I agree. There are so many ideas, information and overall "noise" out there that it can be terrifying and numbing; we're presented with freedom to do anything and become anything we want, but that doesn't necessarily make us happy or help us get the simple stuff in our lives right.

If there's already good anime that actually talk about the internet/"digitalization" in this manner, beyond topics like online fame or VR gaming, I'd love to hear it.
@perseii I'm still not sure what it's called, but in marketing there is such a thing as the "curse of choice." When you receive too many offers and opportunities that are interesting enough for you, it simply overwhelms you and blocks you, actually preventing you from making a choice. Well, you know, like when, as a child, there are good films on several channels at once and you cannot choose without consequences.
May 6, 12:48 PM

Mar 2018
What's the name of the anime about Vtubers that will be airing in one of the coming seasons...?

I'm kind of curious....
May 6, 12:51 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to DoruCatana
What's the name of the anime about Vtubers that will be airing in one of the coming seasons...?

I'm kind of curious....
@DoruCatana https://myanimelist.net/anime/54284/VTuber_Nandaga_Haishin_Kiri_Wasuretara_Densetsu_ni_Natteta?q=VTuber%20Nandaga%20Haishin%20Kiri%20Wasuretara%20Densetsu%20ni%20Natteta&cat=anime This is an LN adaptation, so the show promises to be a pretty authentic experience.
May 6, 1:26 PM

May 2021
RobertBobert said:
Although we still live in a time when anime entirely dedicated to the Internet and technology like Lain or Jelyfish are quite rare and original, I couldn’t help but notice that more and more characters are actively using the Internet, various gadgets and technologies, although 5-6 years ago embedding communication in LINE in "Tsuki ga Kirei" seemed unusual and revolutionary. To such an extent that if before I always held back a chuckle when the characters mentioned the local equivalent of YouTube or Twitter, then after a whole series of shows from the 20s, it became as commonplace as mentioning McDonald's or Amazon. We even expect the first full-fledged anime about Vitubers in one of the coming seasons.

I think it simply reflects the times, Dr. Stone mentioning twitter is the same as Digimon mentioning dial-up internet to me
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
May 6, 1:36 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to DigiCat
RobertBobert said:

I think it simply reflects the times, Dr. Stone mentioning twitter is the same as Digimon mentioning dial-up internet to me
@DigiCat Digimon mentioned dial-up?
May 6, 1:47 PM

May 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@DigiCat Digimon mentioned dial-up?
@RobertBobert Yep, the movie does

Also fun fact, in Digimon Adventure 1999 they start their journey on file island (computer file) while in the remake Adventure 2020 they start in cloud continent (google cloud)
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
May 6, 2:49 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to DigiCat
@RobertBobert Yep, the movie does

Also fun fact, in Digimon Adventure 1999 they start their journey on file island (computer file) while in the remake Adventure 2020 they start in cloud continent (google cloud)
@DigiCat For some unknown reason, I always forget that the entire franchise is based on geek culture. Although if I remember the old show correctly, you were constantly reminded of this.
May 6, 4:22 PM
Aug 2018
I still want to see flip phones and massive, bulky TVs in my anime. There's a certain charm to it.
May 6, 4:24 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Tamasul
I still want to see flip phones and massive, bulky TVs in my anime. There's a certain charm to it.
@Rhae Do you miss the Japanese love for such technology? :D
May 6, 4:28 PM

Oct 2013
I don't mind it. In fact, I like it, because it makes anime more relatable. Times change, technology advances, so it's obvious that people in anime with modern setting will use stuff typical to our real world (social media, smartphones, etc.).
May 6, 5:58 PM

Aug 2020
Nothing in particular but just storytelling wise during the scenes where the characters are texting on their smartphones i'm actually not very interested in seeing them tapping the thing and having to read their messages one after the other on my own especially if the scene is solely focusing on that particular device and doesn't transition elsewhere. It's not a bad thing but it surely makes the scene one dimensional and boring to watch.

Btw, how many versions of Google are there in anime? I remember one in Steins;Gate
May 6, 6:17 PM

Feb 2021
I feel old. Anime from 10 years ago, obviously, mention messaging or texting a lot, but newer ones mention LiNE, instagram, twitter and youtube instead.

Another example of this is how 10 years ago, when a character has a smartphone or has just bought a new one, they specifically say "sumaho" or "smartphone". Now they just say "keitai" or "phone". Goes to show how the things that only some people with privilege had has now become common things almost everyone has.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

May 6, 6:35 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Yuu_Kanzaki
I feel old. Anime from 10 years ago, obviously, mention messaging or texting a lot, but newer ones mention LiNE, instagram, twitter and youtube instead.

Another example of this is how 10 years ago, when a character has a smartphone or has just bought a new one, they specifically say "sumaho" or "smartphone". Now they just say "keitai" or "phone". Goes to show how the things that only some people with privilege had has now become common things almost everyone has.
@Yuu_Kanzaki At first I wanted to joke about how you reminded me of a time when a cell phone was the sign of a yuppie Wall Street businessman, but then I realized that joke would have revealed the dinosaur in me...oh yeah.
May 7, 9:07 AM

Jul 2021
RobertBobert said:
I'm still not sure what it's called, but in marketing there is such a thing as the "curse of choice."

I've heard of "analysis paralysis". I think the term is more to do with thinking pattern, but it definitely results in indecision.

It would be interesting to have an anime explore what role the internet plays regarding this problem and how this is simply the way we live our lives now.

Paranoia Agent suddenly comes to mind. While it's not very focused on technology, the show spotlights the different kinds of pressure people are living under, especially in the insanely fast-paced, competitive and demanding world we live in.

I'm not asking for a copy of Paranoia Agent, but I would appreciate it if more anime engaged with the internet/social media/digitalization topic in that fashion.
May 7, 10:17 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to perseii
RobertBobert said:
I'm still not sure what it's called, but in marketing there is such a thing as the "curse of choice."

I've heard of "analysis paralysis". I think the term is more to do with thinking pattern, but it definitely results in indecision.

It would be interesting to have an anime explore what role the internet plays regarding this problem and how this is simply the way we live our lives now.

Paranoia Agent suddenly comes to mind. While it's not very focused on technology, the show spotlights the different kinds of pressure people are living under, especially in the insanely fast-paced, competitive and demanding world we live in.

I'm not asking for a copy of Paranoia Agent, but I would appreciate it if more anime engaged with the internet/social media/digitalization topic in that fashion.
@perseii This is not quite the same, since we are talking about analysis, and not about the breadth of choice in general, but it’s close, yes.

Could you clarify which arc you are talking about? I don't remember the show in detail, only that it criticizes the infantilism and cynicism of modern (at that time) Japanese society.
May 7, 10:20 AM

Jul 2013
Who cares about digitalization.???..it totally does not matter because we get NTHE.
May 7, 11:03 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@perseii This is not quite the same, since we are talking about analysis, and not about the breadth of choice in general, but it’s close, yes.

Could you clarify which arc you are talking about? I don't remember the show in detail, only that it criticizes the infantilism and cynicism of modern (at that time) Japanese society.
RobertBobert said:
I don't remember the show in detail, only that it criticizes the infantilism and cynicism of modern (at that time) Japanese society.

I don't remember it very well either, but in the first episode I remember the character designer getting pressured by the marketing firm to follow up a popular mascot with another one.

Not saying Paranoia Agent was commenting on the internet (only very indirectly I think), but that it tried to comment on "modern society" while still telling interesting and atmospheric stories.

(I should really watch that show again sometime)
May 7, 11:30 AM

Oct 2017
Bring back flip phones in anime dam it. They were the best days or maybe I'm old and have rose tinted glasses for that era.
May 7, 12:19 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to perseii
RobertBobert said:
I don't remember the show in detail, only that it criticizes the infantilism and cynicism of modern (at that time) Japanese society.

I don't remember it very well either, but in the first episode I remember the character designer getting pressured by the marketing firm to follow up a popular mascot with another one.

Not saying Paranoia Agent was commenting on the internet (only very indirectly I think), but that it tried to comment on "modern society" while still telling interesting and atmospheric stories.

(I should really watch that show again sometime)
@perseii Well, I may be transferring my perception of Satoshi Kon to this particular work, but I've always found his industry-rare stance as a critic of kawaii and escapism for escapism's sake in Japanese pop culture intriguing.
May 7, 12:20 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to BeastyAnimefan
Bring back flip phones in anime dam it. They were the best days or maybe I'm old and have rose tinted glasses for that era.
@BeastyAnimefan And also sports cars in the style of Miami Vice and an incredibly warm synthpop soundtrack? :D
May 7, 12:27 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
@BeastyAnimefan And also sports cars in the style of Miami Vice and an incredibly warm synthpop soundtrack? :D
@RobertBobert I'm talking early 2000s not the 80s but the 80s was a vibe it's own right
May 7, 1:36 PM

Sep 2018
I embrace modernity, the rare times I see it. Most anime are behind the times since they're adaptations of source materials that came out years before.
May 8, 6:25 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to BeastyAnimefan
@RobertBobert I'm talking early 2000s not the 80s but the 80s was a vibe it's own right
@BeastyAnimefan Do you miss the early 00s with their limbo between the edgy 90s and the glam of the millennium?
May 8, 9:40 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
@BeastyAnimefan Do you miss the early 00s with their limbo between the edgy 90s and the glam of the millennium?
@RobertBobert I love that transition period where everything was still edgy but better quality sort of 2006 to 2010ish
May 9, 2:38 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to BeastyAnimefan
@RobertBobert I love that transition period where everything was still edgy but better quality sort of 2006 to 2010ish
@BeastyAnimefan Yeah. The beginning of the 10s was still close, but from the middle things somehow changed sharply in a more dubious direction.
May 9, 2:59 AM
Mar 2017
I prefer historical stuff when Japanese used swords
and magic ( in fantasy ) so …. It doesn’t bother me but it’s not a theme I’m interested in , I quite prefer their old phones too !

I think I’ll hate it if characters started asking each other for their Insta users lol , hopefully anime never reaches that …
May 9, 3:06 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Yonahim_Zz
I prefer historical stuff when Japanese used swords
and magic ( in fantasy ) so …. It doesn’t bother me but it’s not a theme I’m interested in , I quite prefer their old phones too !

I think I’ll hate it if characters started asking each other for their Insta users lol , hopefully anime never reaches that …
@Yonahim_Zz Well, anime has already passed the phase where everyone asked for emails and connected each other to LINE, lmao.
May 9, 3:26 AM

Jul 2021
idk i likr when animes are set in pre-smartphone era with button phones

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How stylish is your favouite character?

SgtBateMan - Jun 9

18 by dreamingneon »»
3 seconds ago

» Recommendations of Disappointment

JaaShooUhh - Yesterday

35 by Entity72 »»
45 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you think that hype is a bad thing?

fluffycow17 - Apr 20, 2022

46 by GinInYourJuice »»
1 minute ago

» your most favorited favorite character vs. your least favorited favorite character ( 1 2 3 )

bucciest - Oct 26, 2022

110 by Serafos »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime recommandations for a first-timer

WickedFM - 6 hours ago

14 by old_geezer »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.