Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 14, 9:31 AM

Nov 2011
Lol, I thought that octopus thing looked like Ikalgo from Hunter x Hunter. Well, it's amusing seeing the cast going over the Mendou's place.

Ataru can't keep his hands off of Sakura but looks like he actually had to deal with a ghost girl this episode. Funny how he always get dragged into something by another girl in this show. Their date was actually quite fun and seemed enjoyable for the both. Good for them.
Mar 14, 9:36 AM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 14, 10:15 AM

Dec 2021
Whoa, is Ataru actually changing a bit?

Mendo hasn't been at school for about a week. Ataru, Lum, Shinobu, and Ten went to Mendo's mansion to see him, but he refused to meet them. When they sneaked in and approached him, they found a flower-shaped "octopus" on his head. Meanwhile, a girl named Nozomi wants to go on a date with Ataru. Sakura says that Nozomi is a ghost who can only ascend to heaven after a date with Ataru. Suddenly, a girl in a gown appears in front of Ataru.

Poor Mendo had it rough. An octopus on his head and Ataru swinging a hammer at him – spooky stuff. The whole octopus obsession in the Mendo family is weird. This episode should wake them up. Anyway, onto the last date. It's a classic, and David Pro made it even better. Probably my favorite from season 2. If only Ataru behaved like this more often. Though, to be fair, he's not always polite. He can be a bit of a flirt, but deep down, he's usually nice to girls, including Lum. This episode, even for a comedy, was kinda sad.

You surprised me, Ataru. Maybe if Lum turned into a ghost, you'd treat her better. Lol.

Mar 14, 11:02 AM
Sep 2015
Another strong episode. The ghost story is touching but the most interesting thing is that Ataru and Lum are subtlely getting closer, you're not gonna notice unless you pay attention to them a lot.
Mar 14, 11:09 AM

Feb 2021
Akamaru means "red circle"
11:06 夢日記 (yume nikki) - dream diary

Nozomi means "wish; desire; hope". A nice name.
What did she say at 20:12? The lip movements don't match "thank you" (arigatou) or "I love you" (suki). Must be something else.

The second half was actually so wholesome and bittersweet T_T
Mar 14, 11:26 AM

Feb 2019
Wait, if Akamaru has no physical form how was Mendo sister able to paint it lmao? Logic aside, nice silly start to the episode. The highlight of the episode was definitely Nozomi and Ataru’s date though.

I love when they have these more serious moments for Ataru where he actually acts like a normal human being. Yea, things started out in usual Ataru fashion with him flirting with Nozomi and being thirsty, but as the date progressed he really did start empathising and having fun with her culminating in that fireworks scene that was pretty emotional.

Nozomi wasn’t able to find peace in her life, but in her final moments with Ataru she finally felt content and could pass on. Even someone as dense as Ataru appreciated it and didn’t want to take the gifts off she gave him. Couldn’t help but get a little emotional in this one. Seeing Nozomi self esteem gradually get boosted was so sweet..

This season has been banger after banger. David Prod understood the assignment
Marinate1016Mar 14, 12:04 PM
Mar 14, 11:29 AM

Jan 2018
Man, they're dropping bangers after bangers.

Last Date was one of my most anticipated episodes and I'm glad it was done so well. I read somewhere that Rumiko Takahashi wrote this chapter after one of her editors wanted her to write a story that depicts Ataru in a more positive light. This chapter became one of the fan favorites and also the favorite of Takahashi and some of her editors.

People hate Ataru for his girl-craziness and for giving almost zero attention to Lum. I understand that to an extent. But he's slightly more complex than that. Stories like this one show that Ataru does in fact have some good in him and his regular attitude is more or less a result of his horrible luck and people treating him like trash.

But his date with Nozomi proves that he's a much nicer guy than what most people give him credit for.

Funnily enough, this structure of helping a deceased person move on to the afterlife is the basis of Rumiko Takahashi's 5th major manga series, Kyoukai no Rinne. You can find the basis of almost every later story of Takahashi in Urusei Yatsura.

If I have one complaint for this episode it's that the episode is too damn short (I'm talking about the second part here). I wish the Remake also adopted the later style of the 80's anime where each episode was one full story. If they ran out of material they could've just done what the 80's anime did and made up original content instead.

Next episode they're going to adapt a chapter that was never adapted before. I hope the Remake will adapt more unadapted chapters.
Mar 14, 1:10 PM

Jan 2012
Yeah, I actually really enjoyed both of the manga stories they adapted this week when I read them late last year. The spooky artwork was fun in the Mendo story, but Ataru dating the ghost girl is up there with some of the most emotionally satisfying stories in the entire series, and definitely one of the character's finest moments. :)
Mar 14, 2:32 PM
Feb 2020
This franchise is mostly a romance gag comedy, it knows it and it owns it. But damn, it can really tug your heartstings if it wants to.
Mar 14, 2:39 PM

Nov 2016
I'm a sucker for these ghost stories and this was a lovely one with Ataru actually being a decent guy.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 14, 3:09 PM
Jan 2024
I really liked the second part of the episode when I saw that Ataru became fond of the girl.
Mar 14, 3:12 PM

Jan 2021
It's the second or third time that Urusei Yatsura makes me cry this season...this is being even better than S1
Mar 14, 3:50 PM

Jul 2020
Well the first half was rather random with Mendo having octopus troubles. Pretty fun but nothing too special. The Last Date though was a surprisingly heartwarming and slightly touching segment. It somewhat reminded me of a visual novel with the music and diary reflection. I was glad that Ataru gave the girl happy last memories (even if he had to suffer through the heat in order to do so). It was a nice reminder of his positive side that we have been seeing more and more of lately.
Mar 14, 4:35 PM

Sep 2011
the bit with the octopus was one of my least favorite in the series and the one with the ghost was one of the best

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 14, 5:01 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh yeah, definitely happens when you have an octopus on the head.
The ghost story was actually touching :o
Mar 14, 5:46 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
That second half was really lovely. Not only was Ataru being nice despite being flirty, he genuinely seemed concerned for Nozomi and gave her the date she simply couldn't have. No interruptions, no annoyances, just a really nice time ignoring how everyone thought he was talking to himself and how tangible the objects she held were.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Mar 14, 6:32 PM

Apr 2022
was initially the first slow episode of the season during the bit with mendo's octopus, i wasn't too into it, but turned out pretty good with the ghost girl part. lum was surprisingly okay with ataru rizzing her up, but he was still pretty nice for enduring that much even though he did kinda fold. still hit me and that was a really nice ending to it, thoughtful ataru is a walking dub.
Mar 14, 7:19 PM

May 2015
Urusei Yatsura was very sweet and wholesome this week. We got double the ghosts too! Ataru is a champ for using his superhuman endurance to help a girl pass on by wearing her knitted winter clothes in summer.
Mar 14, 7:26 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to Embient
Akamaru means "red circle"
11:06 夢日記 (yume nikki) - dream diary

Nozomi means "wish; desire; hope". A nice name.
What did she say at 20:12? The lip movements don't match "thank you" (arigatou) or "I love you" (suki). Must be something else.

The second half was actually so wholesome and bittersweet T_T
@Embient I interpreted it as "aishiteru masu", came here to find if anyone else thought the same actually
Mar 14, 7:28 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
We got a ghostly episode on our hands this time, first with the ghost of Mendou’s octopus and then with Nozomi in the 2nd half, both very different stories tho. The Mendou one was pretty good, I’m glad they put in the gag I remember laughing at where Ataru was raising the hammer behind Mendou as he was being shit talked lol, and then later he used it again in regards to the ghost octopus, a simple gag but very funny. And I also remembered the little guy being in Mendou’s pillow and that it reminded me of a weird story I read in school lol.

Now the first bit was nice, but the Nozomi stuff in the 2nd half is where the real goodness is, I remember loving the original episode and I think it was done very nicely here, of course there’s things missing as always like the gag where Cherry gets threatened with a gun but it was great overall. Ataru being hot as fuck in those winter clothes in the summer heat is still hilarious, and the ending still hits as Nozomi and Ataru look at each other as the fireworks shine around them, and it’s another great showing of the good side of Ataru and it’s one of the reasons I loved this episode. Now I know already mentioned things being missing, but this is also one of those times I miss the original’s OST, it makes this hit even harder, but it still exists so we now have both versions of this greatness to enjoy.
Mar 14, 8:18 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to brubrubrubru
@Embient I interpreted it as "aishiteru masu", came here to find if anyone else thought the same actually
@brubrubrubru That's not natural Japanese, and she only said three or four syllables, so this is too long.
Actually I think it's "sayonara"
Mar 14, 8:25 PM
Dec 2022
Bro that Nozomi voiced by Iwami Manaka is perfect for feels

goddamn onion ninja and bittersweet ending
Mar 14, 10:11 PM

May 2019
Phew that was yet another great episode from this season especially the second half, the feels. That was a nice addition in which they add Mona Lisa portrait but with octopus face lol. The second part with Nozomi is easily one of the best story in Urusei Yatsura and the remake nailed it. It was hard to holding back the tears from watching Nozomi having her date with Ataru. This chapter also sells Ataru's character as a multilayered romcom protagonist. Despite of being a pervert idiot and sometimes a jerk, deep down he is a kind hearted and determined guy. Even with bad luck and bad things that thrown at him, he still smiles and lives his life to the fullest. Still hope they would add caterpillar chapter too one day.

0451 said:
I read somewhere that Rumiko Takahashi wrote this chapter after one of her editors wanted her to write a story that depicts Ataru in a more positive light.
One of her editor thought that beside Lum there must be someone out there that also loves him, that's why Nozomi's story was written.

I really like how they add ghoulish highlight on Nozomi and also the snowglobe near the end. It looks like Ataru and Nozomi there, so cute. Next week we have gossiping flowers episode with Ran, that would be really fun.

Mar 15, 1:35 AM

Jul 2017
Mendo, having lost one of his octopuses and not been attending school for a week, Ataru, Lum, Ten and Shinobu came to see him. The reality...is that the octopus, Akamaru, has infiltrated his head, though to the others, they only see it as a ghost. That's where Sakura comes in for her spiritual services, and it did not take until he was found beneath the pillow thanks to Ataru, because of its adventures, for the coworker to fade into obscurity.

The sick girl who noticed Ataru from afar in the hospital, she wants to try dating him for once, and Sakura is only the messenger for her request to Ataru. A date with a ghost instead, Ataru takes Nozomi into account as someone who will not go to the afterlife without her first and last date with him. But her presents of all Winter clothings puts Ataru on the spot, and whatever, Ataru's a real gentleman this time, going through an endurance session this partially is one, and a happy, but sad date for two.

If only he treated her better, ghost or not.
Mar 15, 2:43 AM
May 2023
This might be the first episode where Atari didn't get shocked.
Mar 15, 2:54 AM
Aug 2023
Love this episode
Mar 15, 2:57 AM
Nov 2020
Ataru can be sweet when he wants to as shown in this episode. I’m really enjoying the subtle changes in Ataru this season.
Mar 15, 3:37 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Must take a lot of time trying to create a unique name for the octos. But being haunted by a transparent octo though thats one for the books. As last requests go a date with the boy that you fell for sure was an interesting one. Sad that the girl in question ended up passing on xmas day though. Having the fireworks display as the climax for the date really was the best way to end it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 3:53 AM

Aug 2020
NO NO!!! Who put heartwarming sad storyline in my chaotic comedy show??
Mar 15, 7:22 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to Embient
@brubrubrubru That's not natural Japanese, and she only said three or four syllables, so this is too long.
Actually I think it's "sayonara"
@Embient ah shit, i guess it's "aishite imasu" and i've been hearing it wrong.

after rewatching the scene a few times, i agree it's probably "sayonara" since her mouth is more rounded during the second syllable.
Mar 15, 7:32 AM

Aug 2017
A very nice episode that shows that Ataru also has his good sides. He's not a bad guy, even though he often seems to be. He just loves too many girls at the same time and is a little too exuberant and honest about it.

Marinate1016 said:
I love when they have these more serious moments for Ataru where he actually acts like a normal human being. Yea, things started out in usual Ataru fashion with him flirting with Nozomi and being thirsty, but as the date progressed he really did start empathising and having fun with her culminating in that fireworks scene that was pretty emotional.
This episode shows that he can definitely have a caring streak. He could have pulled off his usual Ataru act here, where he looks at other girls during the date or jumps on them to kiss them - but Ataru behaved completely correctly towards the girl. In no way did she exploit her love or force her to do anything. That was very, very mature of him.👍

I don't want to leave it unmentioned that Lum also behaves in an absolutely exemplary manner here. No brazzing, no electric shocks, no interfering, just a silent observer. I also liked how Sakura and Cherry take on an almost caring role here.

0451 said:
I read somewhere that Rumiko Takahashi wrote this chapter after one of her editors wanted her to write a story that depicts Ataru in a more positive light. This chapter became one of the fan favorites and also the favorite of Takahashi and some of her editors.
The chapter is truly one of the most heartwarming. Mangakas are often very critical of their own works and themselves are the biggest critics, so the fact that Takahashi herself is satisfied with her works reinforces the quality of the story even more.

0451 said:
If I have one complaint for this episode it's that the episode is too damn short (I'm talking about the second part here). I wish the Remake also adopted the later style of the 80's anime where each episode was one full story.
As far as length goes, I'm quite happy with 10 minute episodes. It's pretty close to the manga chapters, which are usually around 15 - 16 pages. The 80's version often had a lot of embellishments and artificially lengthened some chapters. Let's take the earmuff-story from a few weeks ago as an example. The chapter ends with Cherry putting on his earmuff and everyone present being swapped. The 80's version then has another 10 minutes in which Ataru and Ten are swapped together in Sakura's body and later Ataru's family. I think the short, tight ending in the reboot is much better than stretching out the same gag for another 10 minutes. Especially given the limited number of episodes in the reboot, I'd rather accept a few shorter Episodes, but more chapters.

In relation to today's story, I actually think the 10 minutes are a very good narrative trick because it shows how much too short the beautiful things in life can be and Ataru would have liked to have spent even longer with the girl.✨

R.I.P. Nozomi, she'll always have special place in the fandom's heart🙏

A very touching story, also with the graving visit at the end - I'm always happy when the "Maybe I should turn into a ghost too" gag comes at the end of the chapter, which lightens the tearful mood a bit.🥲

Oh, and we also had the Octopus story. It gets a bit lost under the ador of its partner episode. I also found the Octopuse's presence check and how Mendo chases Ataru around his room very funny. The octopus in the pillow was pretty cute and laughing together at the funny ending really made you laugh along.

IzanaSolos said:
This is point where I regret the limited number of episodes of the reboot. In the last few weeks we have had several episodes in a short period of time in which Atarau behaves in a very human and endearing manner (Language Barriers, The Cow, Ibana and last but not least today's episode) - in the manga there are many, many chapters between these individual stories in which Ataru simply behaves like the usual complete jerk. I might not have packed the more serious chapters so close together in the reboot, because that would give the impression of character development that didn't happen so quickly. But that's the crux of the matter with the limited number.

Next week we'll see the funny Urusei Yatsura nonsense again, and I'm particularly looking forward to the flower episode. Also the fact that the opportunity is being used again to film an unadapted chapter is also a reason to be happy😊
Mar 15, 8:34 AM

Feb 2020
This episode is very cute 🥹

Now I want to date a ghost girl
Mar 15, 10:12 AM
Nov 2022
AtaruGOD

Ataru being the best male lead, nothing new 🚬.

The first part with Mendo and the octopus was very "Xd", however the second part with Nozomi was very wholesome, I really didn't expect it, (noting that Ataru behaved properly during the entire date with Nozomi).
Mar 15, 10:12 AM
Nov 2017
What the hell dude, that second half really got to me. ToT
Mar 15, 11:09 AM
Sep 2018
Damn we got a wholesome story with tentacles going missing and an emotional one with ghost girl trying to fulfil her wishes with Ataru ❤️
Mar 15, 3:53 PM

Aug 2022
Weak episode........
Mar 15, 6:22 PM
Dec 2022
the second part of this ep hit hard. It hurt me. I loved every second of that pain.
Mar 15, 6:23 PM
Jun 2021
Late date part of the video was great, got me tearing up. so good to see ataru in a kinder light and personality and its always good seeing sakura in an episode :)
Mar 15, 10:28 PM

Dec 2021
I forgot how fucking good the original episode was here. God that second half, I needed to see that again, so badly. I'm so glad it got remade. 10/10 remake of the original, literally the same thing that made me love anime in the first place. And for once, I'm gonna say it, the soundtrack here made this hit harder than the original.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Mar 15, 10:45 PM
Jan 2023
That was actually a p wholesome episode 🥲
Mar 15, 11:07 PM

Jan 2018
lumjulian said:
A very nice episode that shows that Ataru also has his good sides. He's not a bad guy, even though he often seems to be. He just loves too many girls at the same time and is a little too exuberant and honest about it.

Marinate1016 said:
This episode shows that he can definitely have a caring streak. He could have pulled off his usual Ataru act here, where he looks at other girls during the date or jumps on them to kiss them - but Ataru behaved completely correctly towards the girl. In no way did she exploit her love or force her to do anything. That was very, very mature of him.👍

I don't want to leave it unmentioned that Lum also behaves in an absolutely exemplary manner here. No brazzing, no electric shocks, no interfering, just a silent observer. I also liked how Sakura and Cherry take on an almost caring role here.

0451 said:
I read somewhere that Rumiko Takahashi wrote this chapter after one of her editors wanted her to write a story that depicts Ataru in a more positive light. This chapter became one of the fan favorites and also the favorite of Takahashi and some of her editors.
The chapter is truly one of the most heartwarming. Mangakas are often very critical of their own works and themselves are the biggest critics, so the fact that Takahashi herself is satisfied with her works reinforces the quality of the story even more.

0451 said:
If I have one complaint for this episode it's that the episode is too damn short (I'm talking about the second part here). I wish the Remake also adopted the later style of the 80's anime where each episode was one full story.
As far as length goes, I'm quite happy with 10 minute episodes. It's pretty close to the manga chapters, which are usually around 15 - 16 pages. The 80's version often had a lot of embellishments and artificially lengthened some chapters. Let's take the earmuff-story from a few weeks ago as an example. The chapter ends with Cherry putting on his earmuff and everyone present being swapped. The 80's version then has another 10 minutes in which Ataru and Ten are swapped together in Sakura's body and later Ataru's family. I think the short, tight ending in the reboot is much better than stretching out the same gag for another 10 minutes. Especially given the limited number of episodes in the reboot, I'd rather accept a few shorter Episodes, but more chapters.

In relation to today's story, I actually think the 10 minutes are a very good narrative trick because it shows how much too short the beautiful things in life can be and Ataru would have liked to have spent even longer with the girl.✨

R.I.P. Nozomi, she'll always have special place in the fandom's heart🙏

A very touching story, also with the graving visit at the end - I'm always happy when the "Maybe I should turn into a ghost too" gag comes at the end of the chapter, which lightens the tearful mood a bit.🥲

Oh, and we also had the Octopus story. It gets a bit lost under the ador of its partner episode. I also found the Octopuse's presence check and how Mendo chases Ataru around his room very funny. The octopus in the pillow was pretty cute and laughing together at the funny ending really made you laugh along.

IzanaSolos said:
This is point where I regret the limited number of episodes of the reboot. In the last few weeks we have had several episodes in a short period of time in which Atarau behaves in a very human and endearing manner (Language Barriers, The Cow, Ibana and last but not least today's episode) - in the manga there are many, many chapters between these individual stories in which Ataru simply behaves like the usual complete jerk. I might not have packed the more serious chapters so close together in the reboot, because that would give the impression of character development that didn't happen so quickly. But that's the crux of the matter with the limited number.

Next week we'll see the funny Urusei Yatsura nonsense again, and I'm particularly looking forward to the flower episode. Also the fact that the opportunity is being used again to film an unadapted chapter is also a reason to be happy😊

I disagree. I watched the original anime first and there was no way to tell which content was "filler" and which ones weren’t. If someone didn’t tell me that a part of an episode was filler then it was almost impossible to notice them (there are some exceptions like Episode 78).

After reading the manga, it became more obvious which parts were fillers and which parts weren’t for obvious reasons. But reading the manga only made me appreciate the original team's works more. They often took the simple premise from the manga, developed it, and made it more insane which was always a treat to watch.

Going back to the earmuffler episode, yeah, it does drag a bit after you watch it for the second time after reading the manga. But you can't tell me the ending of the episode is worse than the one in the remake. It's hilarious. The Remake version doesn’t hit the same even tho you know it’s more "accurate". That goes for a lot of these episodes.

I do understand the criticism tho. There are some episodes in the original that weren’t as good or overstayed their welcome. Some even changed the story too much and became worse like the OG Miss Tomobiki Episode. But for the most part, the anime original content was great.

Take the Nozomi episode for example. The original episode 157 was much longer because there were more scenes with Nozomi enjoying the world. She comments about seeing moving things for the first time in a train since she spent most of her life stuck in a hospital bed. For her things like riding an elevator was also a new experience. The date with Ataru also felt like a proper date since it was longer. The Remake version felt too short as it basically glossed over everything. The OG anime enhanced the story by adding these things.

The opening of the episode is also longer in the original. The Remake version is short and gets the job done. It has modern animation but it’s not as beautiful as the old one.

One thing I did like in the Remake version was that they slightly tweaked the ending. That made the story much better. It makes me wonder what other changes or additions they could've made if they had the same amount of time as the original.

Obviously the original anime could make these types of changes because it didn’t have to worry about running out of episodes as the series was still on-going at the time. I know the Remake doesn’t have that luxury.

Personally I would've liked more quality episodes than a higher quantity of episodes. Maybe asking for every episode to have only one segment/story would've been too demanding. But certain stories like How I've Waited For You, Since Your Parting, and Last Date could've greatly benefitted from being stand-alone episodes instead of being the "Part B" episodes.

If you watch closely you can see that David Pro did make quite a few changes to the story that sets it apart from the manga. But I think they can't go all the way because of time constraints. The approach of trying to adapt as many stories as possible holds back David Production to reach their full potential in this adaptation.
Mar 16, 12:00 AM

Dec 2022
damn that was so beautiful Ataru the legend deserves recognition from the make-a-wish foundation
Mar 16, 12:35 AM

Dec 2012
Reply to gannoncannon55
damn that was so beautiful Ataru the legend deserves recognition from the make-a-wish foundation
@gannoncannon55 so true bestie
Mar 16, 1:53 AM
Oct 2019
Mendou Octopus shenanigans hilarious as always..

But god damn the second part got me emotional..
Sickly girl who actually likes Ataru? and she already dead...
What the hell
Mar 16, 4:59 AM

May 2015
The ghost girl was so cute and her story was very emotional, sad we won't see her again...
Mar 16, 8:47 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to 0451
Man, they're dropping bangers after bangers.

Last Date was one of my most anticipated episodes and I'm glad it was done so well. I read somewhere that Rumiko Takahashi wrote this chapter after one of her editors wanted her to write a story that depicts Ataru in a more positive light. This chapter became one of the fan favorites and also the favorite of Takahashi and some of her editors.

People hate Ataru for his girl-craziness and for giving almost zero attention to Lum. I understand that to an extent. But he's slightly more complex than that. Stories like this one show that Ataru does in fact have some good in him and his regular attitude is more or less a result of his horrible luck and people treating him like trash.

But his date with Nozomi proves that he's a much nicer guy than what most people give him credit for.

Funnily enough, this structure of helping a deceased person move on to the afterlife is the basis of Rumiko Takahashi's 5th major manga series, Kyoukai no Rinne. You can find the basis of almost every later story of Takahashi in Urusei Yatsura.

If I have one complaint for this episode it's that the episode is too damn short (I'm talking about the second part here). I wish the Remake also adopted the later style of the 80's anime where each episode was one full story. If they ran out of material they could've just done what the 80's anime did and made up original content instead.

Next episode they're going to adapt a chapter that was never adapted before. I hope the Remake will adapt more unadapted chapters.
0451 said:

This just makes it sound like you dislike the manga.
その目だれの目?
Mar 16, 3:49 PM

Aug 2017
0451 said:

I disagree. I watched the original anime first and there was no way to tell which content was "filler" and which ones weren’t. If someone didn’t tell me that a part of an episode was filler then it was almost impossible to notice them (there are some exceptions like Episode 78).

Ah, so you watched the anime before the manga. That is probably a completely different perspective. I read the manga all the way to the end before I saw a single episode. Therefore, when I saw an episode, I knew exactly what was in the manga and what was original content. For me, the manga was “the original sacred text” and the anime was more of a supplement.

For people who come from the anime corner and have "grown into" the "Urusei Yatsura" universe, it's probably a completely different way of looking at it, because they were familiar with the original anime content from the beginning - not like me, who only knew the manga from the start.

I often find the original scenes from the 80s version very funny, but they're not something I expect in the reboot. The reboot is more of a kind of "advertisement" for the manga/series itself in order to make it accessible to a new generation - a kind of appetizer, so to speak.

The manga chapters are short. Usually 15 - 16 pages. Some chapters can be read within 2 - 3 minutes if you are a fast reader and they are not so text-heavy. The reboot does a good job of adapting the manga chapters as closely as possible. It's not always 1:1, but it's suspiciously close to the original manga pacing. And since I come from a manga background, I don't miss much in the reboot.

But I certainly understand that many people here probably come from the 80s anime rather than having read the manga first. If I had seen the 80s version first, the reboot would probably seem short to me too. But from a manga reader's perspective, the pacing actually works quite well. It would look different if they cut things out of the manga, but that's hardly the case, apart from a few sentences.

But that's just the thing with the limited number of episodes. If the anime was so popular that they made a significantly higher number of episodes, I would have loved episodes with original content - maybe even entire original episodes like in the 80s. Although I don't know if there exists an anime with original content episodes nowadays in the 2020-ties. But since they have to cut the whole thing down to 46 episodes, I'm happy with them adapting the manga as closely as possible.
Mar 16, 4:36 PM

Jul 2022
The 2nd part of this episodfe "Last Date"
Was kind of touching.
I enjoyed it! (I felt sad for Nozomi)
Mar 16, 8:15 PM

Jul 2016
Damn, finally a girl who wants to date Ataru and treats him well... and she's fucking dead 😭

Anyways, wish the segment with Nozomi had lasted the entire episode. First half with Mendou having tako problems kinda ruined the overall tone of the episode in retrospective.
Mar 16, 8:29 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to lumjulian
0451 said:

Ah, so you watched the anime before the manga. That is probably a completely different perspective. I read the manga all the way to the end before I saw a single episode. Therefore, when I saw an episode, I knew exactly what was in the manga and what was original content. For me, the manga was “the original sacred text” and the anime was more of a supplement.

For people who come from the anime corner and have "grown into" the "Urusei Yatsura" universe, it's probably a completely different way of looking at it, because they were familiar with the original anime content from the beginning - not like me, who only knew the manga from the start.

I often find the original scenes from the 80s version very funny, but they're not something I expect in the reboot. The reboot is more of a kind of "advertisement" for the manga/series itself in order to make it accessible to a new generation - a kind of appetizer, so to speak.

The manga chapters are short. Usually 15 - 16 pages. Some chapters can be read within 2 - 3 minutes if you are a fast reader and they are not so text-heavy. The reboot does a good job of adapting the manga chapters as closely as possible. It's not always 1:1, but it's suspiciously close to the original manga pacing. And since I come from a manga background, I don't miss much in the reboot.

But I certainly understand that many people here probably come from the 80s anime rather than having read the manga first. If I had seen the 80s version first, the reboot would probably seem short to me too. But from a manga reader's perspective, the pacing actually works quite well. It would look different if they cut things out of the manga, but that's hardly the case, apart from a few sentences.

But that's just the thing with the limited number of episodes. If the anime was so popular that they made a significantly higher number of episodes, I would have loved episodes with original content - maybe even entire original episodes like in the 80s. Although I don't know if there exists an anime with original content episodes nowadays in the 2020-ties. But since they have to cut the whole thing down to 46 episodes, I'm happy with them adapting the manga as closely as possible.
lumjulian said:
The reboot is more of a kind of "advertisement" for the manga/series itself in order to make it accessible to a new generation - a kind of appetizer, so to speak.

The problem with this approach is that Rumiko's manga lacks the fancy animation of David Production. I've tried reading it after enjoying both the old and new anime, but it feels like too much of a downgrade. 🙁
その目だれの目?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 6

36 by LuisSV23 »»
Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - May 30

32 by LuisSV23 »»
Yesterday, 11:54 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 19 Discussion

Stark700 - May 23

37 by LuisSV23 »»
Yesterday, 11:53 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - May 16

48 by Softhenic03 »»
Jun 8, 3:46 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - May 9

36 by Softhenic03 »»
Jun 8, 2:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.