Forum Settings
Forums

Would you still watch anime if Crunchyroll closed down?

New
Feb 29, 5:55 AM
Aug 2013
Hi, I was thinking since funimation and a lot of popular anime sites closed / no longer exist anymore it raised the question for me what would happen if crunchyroll the biggest anime platform closed down.

What would everyone do?
Have you thought about backup options already because it could happen one day?
and would you still watch anime or would that be the final act that makes you quit anime?
~AnimeDownUnder~

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 29, 5:57 AM
Jan 2017
i would be surprised if 90% of the people on here use crunchyroll
Feb 29, 6:11 AM

Feb 2020
I never use Crunchyroll anyway, so...
Feb 29, 6:15 AM

Dec 2021
Plenty of legal services still exist, and the morally grey places to watch anime will probably exist for however long the planet continues to exist for.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Feb 29, 6:30 AM

Sep 2016
Toss some goody-goody principles overboard and hoist the Jolly Roger.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 29, 6:37 AM
Aug 2013
Reply to Daviljoe193
Plenty of legal services still exist, and the morally grey places to watch anime will probably exist for however long the planet continues to exist for.
@Daviljoe193 aren't crunchyroll the ones that sub the anime or was that funimation? so if i'm correct, since crunchyroll own funimation and it's the same thing if they both closed down that would affect grey places too because there's no subs anymore except for really bad fansubs probably.

And a lot of these legal services, they don't have many anime on them if you're referring to hidive or netflix
~AnimeDownUnder~

Feb 29, 6:41 AM

Mar 2021
AnimeDownUnder said:
Hi, I was thinking since funimation and a lot of popular anime sites closed / no longer exist anymore it raised the question for me what would happen if crunchyroll the biggest anime platform closed down.

What would everyone do?
Have you thought about backup options already because it could happen one day?
and would you still watch anime or would that be the final act that makes you quit anime?

If Crunchyroll closed down no one in the west would be able to watch a majority of Newly released Anime streaming anymore. Pirated streaming and even torrent sites directly get their Anime directly from officially licensed platforms such as Crunchyroll. Unless another platform like HiDive or someone else came around to take over all the Anime currently licensed to Crunchyroll, it would become exponentially harder to almost impossible for quite a lot of Newly released Anime to even make it to Western audiences in a timely manner.

Would I personally quit watching Anime? I would say no. It would be just like things use to be for me for most of the 2000s where a majority of all anime I would consume back then I was simply buying on Official physical copies. Which is not really that much different for me today where I still buy Anime on Official physical copies just to collect.
ColourWheelFeb 29, 12:40 PM
Feb 29, 6:52 AM

May 2019
I don't use Crunchyroll anyway, so...
Feb 29, 6:54 AM

Nov 2011
I don’t use Crunchyroll anyway. I would carry on watching using Hulu, Youtube (through official channels) and TVer.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Feb 29, 6:58 AM
Dec 2022
As if I've ever used Crunchyroll in the first place.
Feb 29, 7:00 AM

May 2022
Even though most of the illegal websites are ripping their files off directly from crunchyroll websites; netflix, adn and hidive are still there; Even Disney+ tho the prospect of giving my money to disney makes me nauseating.
Feb 29, 7:02 AM

Feb 2021
Of course, there will be another groups and people who translate the series, no problems at all.
Feb 29, 7:08 AM

Jul 2021
given how in the 3+ years of me watching anime i've never once used CR. yes i would still watch it. you can get the episode directly from the japanese tv from some sources and there are always people who translate it and create fansubs so it will be no problem at all. it might even be better as fansubs are better than the origianl subs we are getting these days.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Feb 29, 7:58 AM

Jun 2017
It would be sad if all crunchy rolls disappeared, but I guess I'd find myself some other snack to eat while I watch anime.

Feb 29, 8:03 AM

Jan 2021
As long as there are pirate sites on the Internet, I will keep watching them.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Feb 29, 8:25 AM

Oct 2013
Fuck Crunchyroll. Pirate websites supremacy.
Feb 29, 8:41 AM

May 2021
Realistically if CR shuts down, its probably because no one watches anime anymore. There must be a reason for that, though, so it's hard to say the consequences.
Feb 29, 8:45 AM

Jan 2009
sure with how popular anime is im sure there will be another legal streaming service anyway
Feb 29, 8:45 AM

Apr 2018
yes of course, i don't even use Crunchyroll anymore, I use Animepahe, Gogoanime, and 9Anime, of course with adblockers to prevent pop ups. If were to be in Japan, Niconicovideo is the site to use to watch anime, there is a specific mode of NicoNicovideo that is for anime , but it's japan only.
Feb 29, 8:47 AM
Apr 2013
Who or what is crunchyroll? Can you eat that? Don't you just mean springrolls?
Feb 29, 8:50 AM

Aug 2011
I watched anime way before Crunchyroll existed, and I'll probably watch anime long after CR is gone. Nothing lasts forever, so I'm sure that CR actually will be gone someday.

It will probably mean that fansubs will become a necessity for a lot of shows again (since most torrents and pirate streaming sites currently get their subs from CR and similar legal sources), and that would mean going back to longer waits and questionable subs for many seasonals. And since most of the old fansubs groups are long gone, there would probably be a period of time where a lot of new anime didn't get subbed at all, as new groups formed and figured out what they were doing. Even once things settle down, we won't be getting decent same-day subs for practically everything anymore. A lot of stuff would be partially subbed and then dropped, or only ever get poor quality subs, just like things used to be. I wouldn't be excited about that, but that's how it was before simulcasting became a thing. We'd have no choice but to tolerate it.

I'm surprised to see how many people seem to think that things wouldn't change for them at all if CR shut down. No matter where they actually watch anime (unless they're sticking strictly to other legal sites that aren't related to CR), a lot of the subs they watch still probably come from CR. And if there's no CR, it could mean that streaming anime in general is no longer as lucrative, so those other services may also shut down, or in the case of general streaming services like Netflix or Hulu, at least stop licensing so much anime. It's only because of CR and similar sources that we can watch virtually every modern anime with decent subs, the same day it airs in Japan if we want to, without even having to think about it.
palm-treeFeb 29, 12:28 PM
Feb 29, 8:53 AM

Dec 2015
Never used CR in my life as it doesn't cover my native language + it's hell expensive + free sites are more usage friendly and have good video players.
Feb 29, 8:53 AM

Feb 2021
If Crunchyroll and every other legal site shut down, then pirate sites would be severely affected, yes they could rely on JP TV rips and fansubs, but those usually have lower video quality since they are riping them from TV, and they also take a lot longer to come out, compared to CR which only takes 1 hour after the TV broadcast.
Fansubs can also be incosistent, I've seen many examples of groups dropping shows in the middle of it.

The reality is that pirate sites rely on CR more than anyone else for anime and subs.
Feb 29, 8:55 AM

Jan 2016
I've been watching anime since before crunchyroll or similar streaming platforms existed, so yes
Feb 29, 9:00 AM

Oct 2022
I came from a time when we could watch anime on youtube, so yes.

I actively use Crunchyroll, it is easier to use on my Xbox, and I dont have to deal with the abusive pop ups some places put on their webs. But I have to go "alternative" from time to time, so I would do it again if I had to (mainly because of censorship... i honestly cant believe Crunchy roll put censor anime when uncensor stuff is available).

It is still cool to see how Crunchy roll made Anime more common among people, for better or worse.
Feb 29, 9:05 AM

Oct 2023
I never Watch Crunchyroll But Piracy sites Is Just Better Anyway
Feb 29, 9:11 AM

Oct 2017
I watch most of my stuff of DVD and Blu Ray so it would actually have some impact since Crunchyroll bought FUNi and Rightstuf, so it probably would affect the Blu Rays of series that are licensed by Crunchyroll
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Feb 29, 9:20 AM
Aug 2013
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
I watch most of my stuff of DVD and Blu Ray so it would actually have some impact since Crunchyroll bought FUNi and Rightstuf, so it probably would affect the Blu Rays of series that are licensed by Crunchyroll
@LSSJ_Gaming yeah exactly, and a lot of anime dvd's were from madman which funimation also bought and then when funimation went down they took down all the business they acquired too like madman
~AnimeDownUnder~

Feb 29, 9:24 AM
Jul 2017
The life of a pirate is ever so sweet.
Feb 29, 9:47 AM

Oct 2017
Reply to AnimeDownUnder
@LSSJ_Gaming yeah exactly, and a lot of anime dvd's were from madman which funimation also bought and then when funimation went down they took down all the business they acquired too like madman
@AnimeDownUnder
Oh god I didn't even think about how bad it is outside the US. The consolidation affects a bunch more places like you said with Madman and other international distributors that were acquired by the companies that Crunchyroll gobbled up. I know Crunchyroll is a bit infamous for just not distributing content that they have the rights for in certain regions (especially in Europe) so it's really no wonder piracy is so common in this community when the official legal distribution is a nightmare
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Feb 29, 9:49 AM

Feb 2022
Would you still watch anime if Crunchyroll closed down?

yes lol of course. fuck all those bastards over at crunchyroll

I love watching anime illegally
Feb 29, 10:15 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to Scavendgarr
Fuck Crunchyroll. Pirate websites supremacy.
@Scavendgarr This is both true and ironic at the same time.
Feb 29, 10:49 AM

Apr 2015
Bold of you assuming most people use Crunchyroll lol

i just acquire recently because it is easier for me to watch on phone and it was cheap. But i still get most stuff on seven sea.
Feb 29, 11:45 AM

Sep 2007
Reply to palm-tree
I watched anime way before Crunchyroll existed, and I'll probably watch anime long after CR is gone. Nothing lasts forever, so I'm sure that CR actually will be gone someday.

It will probably mean that fansubs will become a necessity for a lot of shows again (since most torrents and pirate streaming sites currently get their subs from CR and similar legal sources), and that would mean going back to longer waits and questionable subs for many seasonals. And since most of the old fansubs groups are long gone, there would probably be a period of time where a lot of new anime didn't get subbed at all, as new groups formed and figured out what they were doing. Even once things settle down, we won't be getting decent same-day subs for practically everything anymore. A lot of stuff would be partially subbed and then dropped, or only ever get poor quality subs, just like things used to be. I wouldn't be excited about that, but that's how it was before simulcasting became a thing. We'd have no choice but to tolerate it.

I'm surprised to see how many people seem to think that things wouldn't change for them at all if CR shut down. No matter where they actually watch anime (unless they're sticking strictly to other legal sites that aren't related to CR), a lot of the subs they watch still probably come from CR. And if there's no CR, it could mean that streaming anime in general is no longer as lucrative, so those other services may also shut down, or in the case of general streaming services like Netflix or Hulu, at least stop licensing so much anime. It's only because of CR and similar sources that we can watch virtually every modern anime with decent subs, the same day it airs in Japan if we want to, without even having to think about it.
palm-tree said:

It will probably mean that fansubs will become a necessity for a lot of shows again (since most torrents and pirate streaming sites currently get their subs from CR and similar legal sources), and that would mean going back to longer waits and questionable subs for many seasonals. And since most of the old fansubs groups are long gone, there would probably be a period of time where a lot of new anime didn't get subbed at all, as new groups formed and figured out what they were doing. Even once things settle down, we won't be getting decent same-day subs for practically everything anymore. A lot of stuff would be partially subbed and then dropped, or only ever get poor quality subs, just like it things used to be. I wouldn't be excited about that, but that's how it was before simulcasting became a thing. We'd have no choice but to tolerate it.

Same and agreed here as that's more or less how I watched anime before legal streaming/simulcast happened.
Feb 29, 12:10 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
If there would ever be a birth of STEAM of Anime with BD releases. (full quality, uncensored, finished product) . CR is early access/beta version of Anime pretty much. Then I would gladly start collecting all my favorites there.
Feb 29, 12:13 PM

Mar 2016
What kind of question is this? A lot of people watched anime BEFORE Crunchyroll was even a concept, me included. So yes, I would.
Just an avid anime watcher of 18 years, not much else I could say about myself (that I don't want to reveal, of course, just ask if you wanna know more!)

"So...look up, face forward, toward your chosen horizon and just...walk on." - Noah, Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Feb 29, 12:37 PM

Nov 2023
Obviously. I don't support shitty streaming sites anyway
Feb 29, 1:16 PM

Nov 2019
There were anime (to watch) before Crunchyroll, so there are after the fall of such shite. You must have lived under the rocks not having known such fact.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Feb 29, 1:18 PM
Oct 2019
if Crunchyroll closes I will not get angry or complain because their service is too expensive for what they offer in LATAM and I know some websites that release translate chapters of any anime of the season way faster than crunchy.

So no, I won't stop watching anime even if Crunchyroll is wiped off the face of the earth.
Feb 29, 1:28 PM

Jul 2021
I barely use it anyway. Sometimes its missing shows i want to watch so i cant use it. So yes i would still watch anime without Crunchyroll.

Feb 29, 1:31 PM

Jul 2014
Yep. Illegally streamed and pirated all my anime before Crunchyroll made its way to South African shores so I have no qualms about using less scrupulous methods of watching stuff.
Take care of yourself

Feb 29, 2:32 PM
Oct 2019
Yes, because I don't care about Crunchyroll. I mainly use Aniwave anyway.
Feb 29, 3:22 PM
Apr 2022
I don’t use Crunchyroll so I’d be perfectly fine if they closed down.
Feb 29, 3:41 PM

Apr 2018
Out of all the anime I've ever watched, I can confidently say that less than 1% of it was viewed through Crunchyroll, and I haven't touched the service in half a decade at this point... so, yes, I think I would do just fine without its existence.
Feb 29, 4:00 PM

Mar 2021
I have never used Crunchyroll, nor do I plan to in the future, so I have no problem with it being closed.

Even if it is no longer available online, I can still watch it on TV broadcasts... I just think it would be a hassle to watch one episode every week or every day.

Feb 29, 4:25 PM

May 2015
Well considering I don't use them now...
Feb 29, 4:28 PM

Oct 2014
I mean, I don't use Crunchyroll anyway. Subs might take a bit longer to come out if Crunchyroll was out of the game since they are the biggest anime licensor and fansubbers often won't bother with anything that's already translate. Licensors have access to the Japanese scripts before anyone else does so they can get things out faster than you can get stuff pirated, but I'm sure if CR was out of the game the other streaming sites would probably fill that hole anyway.

Having your biggest competitor leave means it's free range for everything they had exclusive rights to, so your Hidive, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime, etc. would probably try to snatch those up. I'm sure they'd also all be trying to convince all the previous CR subscribers that their service is the one to switch to, so there could be a momentary uptick in licensor spending. Would be an interesting situation, but far from a disaster.
Feb 29, 8:01 PM

Jul 2021
Zimmu said:
Realistically if CR shuts down, its probably because no one watches anime anymore. There must be a reason for that, though, so it's hard to say the consequences.
+1.

If Crunchyroll shuts down, it would mean that the anime industry has shifted so much that it would be unrecognizable to us. Can you imagine Netflix shutting down? Could people from the 90's imagine Blockbuster Video shutting down?

If it does shut down tomorrow due to some extreme mismanagement or freak accident... I'm sure some other company would quickly step in. There's too much money at stake, they won't just leave it on the table. There are competitors even today (in NA at least), like Netflix and Hidive.
Feb 29, 10:27 PM

Apr 2020
Being in Asia, I won't be affected. Pretty sure it'll just go back to how it was before last year's Fall season when CR finally decided to include us in the simulcast game: Bilibili would just be the most stacked Anime library again with Netflix, Dinsey+, Prime, iQiyi, and YT official distributors Muse Asia and Ani-One Asia airing whatever's left they can license.
-+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+- -+=<(8)>=+-
Feb 29, 10:38 PM

Sep 2008
it'd be really hard to watch anime if crunchyroll died. I'd have a constant erection, it'd be hella tiring to fap nonstop.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

38 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » The most overrated characters that everyone loves ( 1 2 3 )

Lizz_Aleister - Dec 1, 2020

118 by KitsuFrost »»
22 minutes ago

» What time in a day do you enjoy watching anime the most?

Rinrinka - 1 hour ago

9 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
24 minutes ago

» What are the most iconic anime scenes

Gashadokur0 - May 29

11 by _YaoiShotaIncest »»
27 minutes ago

» What does your waifu expect of you?

SgtBateMan - 10 hours ago

19 by Stomiks »»
54 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.