Forum Settings
Forums

What anime started off strong, but went downhill until it became bad?

New
Jun 2, 2023 9:27 AM
May 2023
The first one that comes to mind for me is Horimiya. It was very fun at first, but after the MC (can't even remember his name) cut his hair things somehow became boring. It's not the thing that triggered it but after that point in time it just wasn't interesting anymore. I finished it but now I can barely remember anything from the show, apart from the fact that it was mediocre. 
That's my opinion, if you liked Horimiya it's fine
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 2, 2023 9:35 AM
May 2023
Doppop said:
 Babylon takes the cake in that regard.

And thanks for telling us this is your opinion, we wouldn't know otherwise.
This is the internet, better safe than sorry xD
Jun 2, 2023 9:40 AM

Dec 2021
Yeah, I sorta felt the same about Horimiya too actually. Probably one of the most underwhelming ‘glow-downs’ I’ve seen haha.

For me, it’s probably Death Note :P
Jun 2, 2023 10:31 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
For me, almost all anime is like this except those which main focus lies on comedy. There are a lot of anime that starts interesting and even funny in some parts and then just turns into dogshit. 
Maybe it's because it's about to end and has a very obvious plot and ending or they have like skipped a lot of content or something like that.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Jun 2, 2023 10:41 AM

Feb 2019
In/Spectre, I genuinely thought it was gonna be one of my new favorites when it's started but it was a total slog to get through
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Jun 2, 2023 10:45 AM

Dec 2018
Naruto and Naruto Shippuden are best examples of this. Naruto had filler hell for well over a year near the end of the series and Naruto Shippuden fell apart sometime after Naruto vs Pain.

Jun 2, 2023 10:51 AM
May 2023
Azuchi said:
For me, almost all anime is like this except those which main focus lies on comedy. There are a lot of anime that starts interesting and even funny in some parts and then just turns into dogshit. 
Maybe it's because it's about to end and has a very obvious plot and ending or they have like skipped a lot of content or something like that.
I am not lying when I say I entirely forgot how Horimiya ended. It was that forgettable despite having a nice premise xd
Jun 2, 2023 10:54 AM

Jan 2021
Nanatsu no Taizai, even if you don't count the animation and focus only on the story, as even the manga massively went downhill after the Meliodas vs Escanor battle and it just seemed to get worse as it went on.
Jun 2, 2023 10:55 AM

Feb 2020
Sabikui Bisco and Tenkuu Shinpan for example.
Jun 2, 2023 11:00 AM
Jul 2021
Death note comes to my mind first. Also another , TR
Jun 2, 2023 11:17 AM

Feb 2023
Neon Genesis Evangelion tended to decline in quality as it went on, particularly after Asuka showed up. But it did start to improve a bit again in the final few episodes.
Jun 2, 2023 11:25 AM
A Monster

May 2018
Wonder Egg Priority started out as one of the best anime and then at the end it went sour and plopped
"Never Give Up Without A Fight" By Zuko
Jun 2, 2023 11:50 AM

Oct 2021
No idea why Horimiya is highly rated. I thought the same and dropped it.
Jun 2, 2023 12:08 PM

Apr 2023
Shocked that people unironicallx say DN, like bad as in worse than average anime bad? Thats hard to argue i feel like.

Anyway, SAO.
Jun 2, 2023 12:42 PM
Jan 2022
Definitely the first season of sword art online, the first half of the season was great, and then the second half was trash.

Jun 2, 2023 12:48 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Oshi no Ko.. I wonder if every anime started with a 90 min movie, will they all be popular

Jun 2, 2023 12:48 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
@SaltyCookie_ yes same, I didn't even bother to start it

Jun 2, 2023 12:55 PM

Aug 2022
The simplest answer for me is Revolutionary Girl Utena, myeh. We went from a good first arc, to a repetitive and oddly irrelevant second arc, to a pretty awful but at least still vaguely interesting third arc, to an ending that wasn't even close to worth the build-up.
Jun 2, 2023 1:05 PM

May 2012
a lot of anime has strong first 3 episodes as that is what determines whether if a viewer will stick to the show.

to me, the one should be mentioned is:
1. enen shouboutai (fire fighters or whatever their english name is) the first 3 episodes main sell point is their action animation and frames which is well done. however, further into the anime the animation dropped and their attention to detail is turned into mush. and as a franchise as a whole, their plot, story, and characters is not really, well, hot. the villain is boring. some main characters felt like just a filler and not original. and the plot is cliche and predictable.

2. tate no yuusha (shield hero) as they try to sell edgy dark hero. it has strong start as the mc is still getting introduced. how he experienced hardship and treated unfairly. how he suffers. but then, when the first trial has passed, the story gets too repetitive, and the character's lack of foundation starting to show. heres basically what they did: make the mc as edgy as possible. i imagine to appeal to the audiences. tbh, even redo of healer did this better. to make matters worse, the action is absolute dogsh*t, and the build the world too complex that i doubt even the author understands it.

3. ansatsu kyooushitsu (assassination class) i dont remember why, but i never managed to finish second season. it just got boring. i believe the character development is okay to say the least. the premise is unique

4. kimetsu no yaiba (demon slayer) i guess? entering the swordsmith arc, the anime doesnt feel the same. they exaggerated the part they were good at (visual.) although tbh I only watched the 1st episode lol
if you want good story, read novel. if you want good graphic, read manga. anime is beyond that.
Jun 2, 2023 1:32 PM

Jan 2017
Darling in the Franxx.  It fell off the cliff towards the end.
Jun 2, 2023 1:42 PM

Dec 2019
SAO started off with one of the best and most grasping first episodes of any 2010's anime I've seen, not even joking. It set up SAO like it was going to be this really long and epic journey across 100 floors, the possibilities were endless. It was hype as fuck, likewise the second episode was also damn good, delivering further on the hype. The third episode was where everything started falling apart, with the following episodes getting noticeably worse and dropping the quality down even further. Pointless timeskips that ruined the "long epic journey" expectation, pointless character-focused episodes that detracted from the main story / appeal and felt like filler (with the exception of Asuna), bullshit moments in its writing, fuck things went to shit. The only thing keeping the hype train alive was the first episode, but then Aincrad just... ended. If that wasn't bad enough, then we get to... ugh, Alfheim. Motherfucking Alfheim. The ball is dropped HARD. Really, REALLY hard. The Fairy Dance arc is a ridiculous, painful slog to sit through. Honestly the lowest point this series has ever reached (season 2's Gun Gale / Phantom Bullet stoops almost as low in my opinion).

It sucks, because this series had such massive potential right from the get-go (I like Alicization though). Thankfully, Progressive exists and is genuinely awesome. A far cry above the original story.

AOT also comes to mind. Starts off with an exhilarating, dare I say incredible first episode, and continues in a relatively solid quality for the rest of the first season. The second season places more emphasis on the mystery aspect of the show, questions begging to be answered and viewers left wondering. The third season and its second part are also damn good, introducing a strong political theme into the mix with historical references here and there (whether the latter was just edgy bullshit however is up to you XD). Where things go bad is the fourth season. After a bullshit timeskip (because those are always a good sign) the series quickly descends into a mess of edgy bullshit until eventually the quality of the writing takes a nosedive into shit and the story ends in a conglomeration of diarrhea-- there's no defending this ending, period.
Jun 2, 2023 1:49 PM

Aug 2018
Most of my low-rated anime. I'd have dropped them otherwise. Strange Dawn is one of the most tragic cases. First episode is super cool, the two girls are portrayed fairly realistically; they're not likeable people at all, so there's plenty of potential for them to grow. But something went horribly wrong with the production of this show and it ended up completely butchering whatever potential it had. First episode felt like an 8 or 9 but ultimately I gave it a 3/10. A terrible show, please do not waste your time on this.
epidemia78Jun 2, 2023 1:52 PM
Jun 2, 2023 2:19 PM

Aug 2018
Some example's that pop first in my head:

* Jujutsu Kaisen
: first half was pretty enjoyable. The second half however...
* Gurren Lagann: Fun untill the peak episode that's episode 8. Probably don't have to explain why.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Jun 2, 2023 2:27 PM
Oct 2021
KamijouToumaIB said:
Darling in the Franxx.  It fell off the cliff towards the end.
THIS! thought it was gonna be so good but just felt so corny toward the end…
Jun 2, 2023 2:54 PM

Jul 2022
Agree on Horimiya. I liked the characters but once the MCs got together - which happened fairly early I think - the subsequent episodes were essentially mini ovas on the side characters. I don't really know how it ended either. My biggest takeaway was the awesome OP. That said, I'll probably give the next season a try anyway. 

Oshi no Ko, Gurren Laggan and Koikimo all come to mind as well. 
Jun 2, 2023 3:07 PM

Dec 2020
Definitely Welcome to Demon's School. The first 4 to 5 episodes were peak comedy, but from then on it just slowly became incredibly boring or even obnoxious at times. A shame because I really loved the start of the show, but it was all downhill from there.
"Those words are meant for those that dare defy god's final warning... An epigraph of their stubbornness"
- Maho Hiyajo (Steins;Gate 0)
Jun 2, 2023 3:24 PM

Jan 2019
Blue Exorcist and Soul Eater definitely. For Soul Eater it's especially sad that it turned out that way because, even if it does get a true-ending reboot, there's no chance that the director would replicate the goofy but aesthetic animation style of the original. Although it's definitely an improvement technically, the flashy and smooth animation of Fire Force just doesn't seem fitting.
Jun 2, 2023 6:10 PM

Aug 2020
Babylon, Ousama Ranking and SaiKano. Maybe KnY too but s3 has been decent so far (i'm only 3 eps in tho).

ryo-san said:
Oshi no Ko.. I wonder if every anime started with a 90 min movie, will they all be popular
is it true that ep 1 is THAT good and the rest are just THAT bad? Coz i'm actually considering to watch it.

sora2eugene said:
ansatsu kyooushitsu (assassination class) i dont remember why, but i never managed to finish second season. it just got boring. i believe the character development is okay to say the least. the premise is unique
no you're right. It's quite boring even in the final episodes.
Jun 2, 2023 6:14 PM

Feb 2021
TanyaTheEvill said:
Wonder Egg Priority started out as one of the best anime and then at the end it went sour and plopped
I second this. I went bleeeh passed episode 6. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jun 2, 2023 6:16 PM

Oct 2018
Shingeki no Kyojin is the biggest example

First and second season good
Third season bad
Forth season hospital wastes

@TRC_Randy I'm going to give my fecal opinion on Oshi no Ko. Firstly, the first episode is not really an episode, it's a movie. It has the structure of a movie, and the way the story unfolds is different from the structure of serialized episodes. This movie has a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end. If I'm not mistaken, it covers almost 10 chapters of the manga, which is why the movie format was chosen.
That being said, the movie is really good, but the rest of it doesn't reach the same level. It's not bad, but it falls below that. I would rate the movie, or episode 1, as a 9, while the rest falls between 6 to 7. The production quality is also very good.
As I mentioned, this is just my shitty opinion. I recommend watching the movie, and if you like it, continue. But I don't believe the level is maintained afterwards.
PhosphophyllitaJun 2, 2023 6:25 PM
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jun 2, 2023 6:19 PM

Mar 2013
Happy Sugar Life had an interesting premise and a surprisingly strong setup, but it went overboard with the introduction of its numerous antagonists that took its focus away from Satou; honestly, I am thinking the series would be better served as a limited series of 6 episodes instead of the full 12 we go.

Death Note was great until the Yotsuba arc. It was not awful after said arc completed, but for what many consider the best half of the series, the arc that brought us onclusion to the fight between L and Light is surprisingly mediocre.

Neon Genesis Evangelion was a series that stayed afloat due to its characters, but it was not until late in the series when it became apparent that its narrative regarding the angels had no future plan to noty only resolve the the overarching conflict, but in a way that brought out the best of its character aside from maybe Shinji and Kaworu. Taking Asuka out from the narrative entirely was one of the worst decisions this series has ever made.
PeripheralVisionJun 2, 2023 6:23 PM
Jun 2, 2023 10:51 PM

Oct 2020
I don't think anyone's mentioned Fena but I'm not surprised. Fena Pirate Princess had a super promising first episode but it sort of just meandered and dragged viewers along until nothing made sense 
The ending was so rushed and unsatisfactory
Jun 2, 2023 11:18 PM

Jun 2021

• Rising of the Shield Hero - Pretty simple, but great premise with interesting characters to follow. However, after the MC restored their reputation, it became yet another generic Isakei. Well, maybe not super generic, but definitely a far cry from what hooked me in.
  • Darling in the Franxx - This one is pretty obvious if you've seen it.
  • Quintessential Quintuplets - Was one of the greatest harem rom-com out there until the manga tried to speedrun the ending. The movie that adapts this speedrun just made the flaw stand out even more.
  • Death Note - Controversial opinion here. But Death Note was only fun up until the girl obsessed with Light came in. I'm not saying it's her fault, but it made me realize that the show is just one super drawn-out game of cat-and-mouse that just uses every detective show scenario it can think of. Once Light temporarily gave up his Death Note and lost his memory, it immediately became extremely boring to watch.
  • Sankarea - Threw away its potential for a dramatic horror romance to pander to the Harem RomCom demographic.
  • Sword Art Online - The first arc was pretty fun and had its moments. It definitely wasn't perfect, but it was a lot better than whatever the show became going into Arc 2...
  • Horimiya - Pretty much for the same reason as you. The main couple became extremely boring and dull somewhere halfway through the show.

There's probably more that I can't think of. But for me, these are the biggest offenders of "what could have been" just based on the large difference in my opinion from the first to the last episode.
I like apple pie. I also like gaming. Man's two greatest inventions.

Jun 2, 2023 11:31 PM
Apr 2019
For me. Oshi no lo definitively. Ch 1 was 10/10 but the rest was meh
Jun 3, 2023 12:03 AM
Mar 2022
Tokyo Ghoul went downhill after s1,
S2 was mid and rest was garbage
Jun 3, 2023 12:10 AM

Jan 2014
@TRC_Randy

I definitely wouldn't say it got bad, but Oshi no Ko is an anime that starts of REALLY strong but after what's basically a movie quality 1st episode both in length and quality, the anime became boring and and even forgettable. As someone who has been watching it weekly it's somewhat of a chore to watch. Probably mostly because the male MC is very unlikeable
Jun 3, 2023 1:09 AM
John Titor

Jul 2017
Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo: it started as a hilarious yet interesting story by Mari Okada. Watching the POV from the girls about sex and growing-up stuff was a very nice experience... until the final episodes, which became a ridiculous train-wreck.

Carole & Tuesday: Watanabe's world building was gorgeous and the characters were promising. The show didn't deliver the hype it produced in the first episodes, giving us some generic 2-cour soap opera instead.

Demon Slayer: Excellent premise and state-of-the-art animation to go along with. But, the moment you fall asleep through the fighting scenes, precisely, in a battle shounen, you know something's wrong.

Vinland Saga s2: Well, this one hasn't finished yet and I'm sure the final episodes will be spectacular. But, up until now, I include it in this category. It started like a big Hollywood production or like those biopics that always win most of the Oscars. The world building and the characters' development was almost perfect. But the pacing became slow, and some episodes in it was even slower... then you even had whole episodes about dreams and hallucinations. Even now that the fights started they are always interrupted by a flashback, a long dialogue or yet another hallucination. The season would have been great with a single cour. A wonderful series ruined by its blatantly slow pacing.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Jun 3, 2023 1:25 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
@TRC_Randy I absolutely agree with @DoctorWasabi word to word... That's all

Jun 3, 2023 1:36 AM

Dec 2015
Ionliosite2 said:
Nanatsu no Taizai, even if you don't count the animation and focus only on the story, as even the manga massively went downhill after the Meliodas vs Escanor battle and it just seemed to get worse as it went on.
Wholeheartedly agree. I didn't really pay attention to the animation, just noticed it wasn't as good, but that didn't really matter. I loved the characters and the world, but the story just got dumbstered by the end. Endless powerups that actually made this show seem as some sort of shounen parody. Felt really sad about it. Maybe the sequel will redeem the series, but it might just repeat all the problems NnT had.
Jun 3, 2023 1:38 AM
Apr 2022
RENT A GIRLFRIEND
BUNNY DROP 
DARLING IN THE FRANXX

Jun 3, 2023 1:51 AM

Mar 2021
MHA was pretty decent back then....

Also the first episode of To Your Eternity was actually a masterpiece, but with each episode that show brought a new low untill becoming more or less garbage

𝓜𝓪𝔂𝓫𝓮 𝔀𝓮 𝓽𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓭 𝓽𝓸 𝓵𝓮𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪𝓼 𝓶𝓾𝓬𝓱 𝓶𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓼 𝓸𝓯 𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓼𝓮𝓵𝓿𝓮𝓼 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓮𝓪𝓬𝓱 𝓸𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓫𝓮𝓬𝓪𝓾𝓼𝓮 𝔀𝓮 𝓴𝓷𝓮𝔀 𝓸𝓷𝓮 𝓭𝓪𝔂 𝔀𝓮 𝔀𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭𝓷'𝓽 𝓫𝓮 𝓽𝓸𝓰𝓮𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻 𝓪𝓷𝔂 𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓮
Jun 3, 2023 1:56 AM

Sep 2018
In a single season, I would say...

Yuri is my Job - One character has ruined the show for me
Shingei no Bamahut: Virgin Soul - Was enjoying until the pathetic romance took over
Super Cub - Started off nice enough, then the advertisement side of things really took over
Dagashi Kashi - Same thing
Teppen!!!!!!! - The shitty manzai act really grew stale quickly
Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai. - One of the stupidest ends I've ever seen, shitty tonal shift mid way
Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! - Interesting enough in the beginning, but became a slog, like I was watching a lecture
My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! X - Bakarina and Keith become insufferable
Ryman's Club - Shitty melodrama and backstories took over and the badminton was also trash at the end

Many more tbh...

Jun 3, 2023 1:57 AM

Mar 2015
Wonder Egg Priority. What a tragedy that was.
Jun 3, 2023 2:40 AM

Aug 2020
@Phosphophyllita @DoctorWasabi @ryo-san thanks yall. I suppose i'm gonna watch it still but with a moderate expectation.
Jun 3, 2023 3:49 AM

May 2012
SAT_KUMAR said:
Also the first episode of To Your Eternity was actually a masterpiece, but with each episode that show brought a new low untill becoming more or less garbage
yeah. the premise is interesting, and the story is too. until the 1st arc i think. or until there is someone dead. after that, his development slowed down and it gets boring. tbh, i think its more suited for a single movie rather than a tv series.
if you want good story, read novel. if you want good graphic, read manga. anime is beyond that.
Jun 3, 2023 4:31 AM

Sep 2020
SaltyCookie_ said:
No idea why Horimiya is highly rated. I thought the same and dropped it.
Apparently the anime was too fast-paced and the manga is better, but I feel the same way as you. It was just underwhelming and I'm not sure how the manga would fix that.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Jun 3, 2023 4:32 AM

Sep 2020
SAT_KUMAR said:

You talking about the first season? I thought it was consistently good until the last arc. The second season was a downgrade overall, but It was still enjoyable to watch.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Jun 3, 2023 4:34 AM

Sep 2020
Timz0r said:
Some example's that pop first in my head:[i]

* Gurren Lagann: Fun untill the peak episode that's episode 8. Probably don't have to explain why.
Don't remind me! It's crazy how much of an impact K had on everyone.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Jun 3, 2023 4:46 AM

Sep 2018
Teirayo said:
In/Spectre, I genuinely thought it was gonna be one of my new favorites when it's started but it was a total slog to get through
Honestly, season 2 was great. I also though that season 1 was hard to get through, but imo almost every single arc from season 2 onwards (including the manga) is actually really good
Jun 3, 2023 5:00 AM

Dec 2007
So I liked Bleach way back at the beginning.  Basically until just as Ichigo saved Rukia.  From that moment on it felt like the show has just been dropping off a never ending cliff.  I wouldn't say it started off that strong, but I was interested to see where it'd go and found it enjoyable enough, but man did it not manage to hold my attention after.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What are male yuri fans called?

emryuu - 4 hours ago

10 by traed »»
4 minutes ago

» Does complexity made an anime better? And what is your favourite complex anime

niknasr - 11 hours ago

14 by Gashadokur0 »»
5 minutes ago

» Why do yaoi shippers get upset when their ships don't happen in shonen?

Cestlavie_ - 9 hours ago

38 by BlueMaho »»
28 minutes ago

» Any other Retro Anime watchers only?

Iron_Leopard - 9 hours ago

23 by KitsuFrost »»
29 minutes ago

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day?

RedTea33 - 10 hours ago

25 by RioAl »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.