Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Konosuba: An Explosion on This Wonderful World! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 3, 2023 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
Well they weren't kidding about showcasing the magic of explosion into this show/episode.

For what's worth, we do get an episode with a lot more action and attitude. I actually enjoy the colorful dialogues in addition to the humor even in a serious episode like this. It also tests what the cast has learned from school with their magic against those monsters. A shoutout also to Yunyun for having the courage and determination to work her magic.

May 3, 2023 9:27 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Komeko really is adorable and totally fearless. Though helping out the demon to unseal the seal was a bad idea. But man she sure has some confidence in her. Still YunYun showed well the talent she had as a mage. Megumin's unleashing of her first explosion though was damm awe inspiring. Looking forward to seeing how Megumin and YunYun fare in the next stage of their travels.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2023 9:27 AM

Jul 2017
Komekko meeting a demon of the Dark God Wolbach's right-hand man Host, she's unafraid at the slightest, and instead of it appreciating the oyakodon brought to him, he let Komekko have it instead.

Megumin's house in tatters, and the first notice of Komekko being nowhere to be found, with Chomusuke being captured by the demons, Megumin's lack of rebuttal overshadows that of trying to locae her younger sister ASAP. Instead, she is found facing a pack of monsters, and Megumin has to do the impossible: execute explosion magic, which Yunyun is already ready to save Komekko and find the rest. With Yunyun adept at lightning magic, Megumin feels like she's quickly falling behind, and with the encouragement from Komekko, Megumin decides to act how she wants.

Though the sisters came back, Yunyun is unafraid to lay down her rivalry with Megumin, and with the advent of many monsters incoming, it's definite that wherever Chomusuke goes it'll attract. Worse still, Yunyun is down for the count, and like it or not, Megumin has to deal her explosion magic sooner or later...and the answer's actually been there all along: in her report card to utilize all of her magic points for this one defining moment, just like the magic wielder that she saw when she was young, now taking into full effect. And what an EXPLOSION it was, all those hard work to blow up the monster "chickens" in the sky.

The magic ball foretelling of her adventures with Kazuma and Co., of course it's time to tell of the ages as both rivals graduate from Red Crimson, and Inky finally got the iconic Chomusuke name from forming a pact with it as her familiar.

The start of adventuring as they know it, this is the starting point.
May 3, 2023 9:32 AM
May 2022
They brought back the best OST
May 3, 2023 9:34 AM

Feb 2022
This was the best episode so far. First the humor with Komekko and later Megumin got Explosion Magic made me goose bumps all over!
May 3, 2023 9:37 AM

Feb 2021
‎I remember the scene with Yunyun learning Intermediate magic to save Komekko was a flashback either in the main series or in an earlier episode of this spin-off... I don't quite remember because I watched them at the same time.
I always have to remind myself that Megumin is actually a genius. And now it turns out that Komekko is too!
Megumin's first EKKUSUPUROOJON!!! It indeed felt really satisfying.
May 3, 2023 9:42 AM
Sep 2021
It was a great wonderful explosion.
May 3, 2023 9:58 AM

Jul 2011
Yunyun is too good for that blessed world.

That Explosion made me shed a tear.

Foreshadow of the the capable party members.

May 3, 2023 10:01 AM

Jun 2019
Yunyun and Megumin's friendship is beautiful. Komekko is the most adorable little sister anyone can have. So precious. Finally got to see the first EXPLOSION from Megumin. That was so cool. Finally, they graduated and Megumin's future was... LOL. Funny. Chomusuke has been named.
May 3, 2023 10:06 AM

Jan 2019
The show has been quite underwhelming so far so I'm glad Yunyun and Megumin finally got some time to properly shine.

May 3, 2023 10:12 AM

Mar 2010
I like how they blurred the magic ball. Megumins little sis is gonna be one hell of a gal when she gets older, i'm willing to wait no chomo ofc.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 3, 2023 10:14 AM

Jan 2018
Yes! Megumin's first explosion! Ngl, I got goosebumps at that part. Never thought I'd feel that while watching Konosuba, a show that's mostly goofy with almost no seriousness.

Chomusuke is named! She was the dark goddess all along?! But I guess it makes sense.

Megumin and Yunyun graduated. I thought the rest of the series would also take place in the school but I was wrong it seems. Wonder what type of adventuring they'd go on to in the remaining episodes. Excited.
May 3, 2023 10:28 AM
Sep 2022
best episode out of other eps until now, I wonder what Soketto-san saw in the future
May 3, 2023 10:28 AM

Dec 2020
Komeko really is for her age she is not show fear about this demon and she help him lol.
Yunyun learns advanced magic to help Megumin and now she feels jealous about yunyun that was so funny.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

May 3, 2023 10:30 AM
Apr 2021
WOOOO EXPLOSION
WOOOOOOOOOO LETS GOOOOOOO
May 3, 2023 10:40 AM

Feb 2019
Last two episodes done a great job of bringing Megumin to life and making me understand and emphasise with her character. Still got Aqua and Darkness over her, but she’s not someone I really hate anymore.

Her first explosion was really cool to see. And we get Chomsuke’s official naming. Nice to see Yunyun shine in the episode as well!
May 3, 2023 10:52 AM

Mar 2013
Finally an explosion episode! Nice!

When your little sister is actually the culprit... lmao

The cat is really cute but Megumin is mishandling her too lightly. Careful!
When she put the cat inside her bag,
I thought it was too cute to be true.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
May 3, 2023 11:01 AM
Jun 2020
I'm happy they kept Host's seiyuu from Fantastic Days game. Can't wait for Ai Fairouz showing up in this spin-off.
May 3, 2023 11:07 AM
Mar 2023
Wow, so the event referred to in the OVA happened, Megumin finally used explosion magic, Komekko got a big role and Chomusuke got her name? And her entire fate in the main series got referenced? And it all happened in one episode?

This is perhaps the greatest episode of the show so far, I absolutely loved it. Everything about it is just perfect.
May 3, 2023 11:11 AM

Feb 2021
So this is Megumin's first ever explosion. 

I wonder where the show will go now that they graduated from school
May 3, 2023 11:13 AM

May 2020
Megumin just blasted those monsters with that ever so familiar explosive spell out of the atmosphere itself. That is the mighty explosion magic we've all been waiting for. Though that means she ticked the eligibility criterion for the graduation too, along with Yunyun.

The moment when that fortune teller was giving prophecies about Megumin's up-and-coming adventurer life and then suddenly hesitated while describing her comrades as capable.. that gave me a good laugh.
May 3, 2023 11:16 AM
May 2020
I'll be honest, this episode was extremely disappointing for me. Allow me to explain.

1. Let's start with where last episode left off. A crap ton of flying monsters suddenly attacks the village, and when Megumin rushes home, she's shocked that Komekko is missing. But next, when they see that Kuro/Inky/Chomusuke is getting dragged away by two monsters, there's a whole scene where Megumin steals Yunyun's dagger and throws it at the monsters and misses.

I think putting a joke/light hearted scene here is completely inappropriate. Megumin's sister is missing and possibly kidnapped or dead but they choose to waste time. What I want to see is Megumin in a dillema, panicking and deciding whether to save Chomusuke or look for Komekko first. Even if Megumin is confident that Komekko is alive and able to protect/hide herself safely, she should not be standing around and saying things like "oh chomusuke is gone but let's bid her farewell instead of crying"

2. Next, when they find Komekko, Megumin does have a dillema between learning advanced magic to save her sister or saving up points to learn explosion. Yunyun sees Megumin hesitating and realises what she's thinking. So she learns intermediate magic in her stead so Megumin can save for explosion magic.

There are a couple things wrong with this scene. Why is Yunyun smiling at Megumin when she learns intermediate magic? Just as how Megumin is reluctant to learn advanced magic so she can learn explosion magic, Yunyun should be reluctant to learn intermediate magic so that she can learn advanced magic. But we don't see any hesitation, reluctance, or regret from Yunyun.

Then there's a continuity error. If Megumin barely got enough exp to level up and learn explosion magic because she killed the duxion, why wasn't she able to learn explosion magic right here? The answer is that this scene was animated incorrectly. In the light novel, Megumin reluctantly pulls out her adventurer's card, but she doesn't look down and realise that she can already learn explosion magic, because while she's trying to muster courage to learn advanced magic, Yunyun interrupts her by learning intermediate magic and using the lightning spell.

3. When Megumin runs with Komekko in the forest, she suddenly bends down to Komekko and asks if she loves her. Even if she can't be the strongest sister. Komekko responds she loves Megumin and will be the strongest in her stead. Then they run back to Yunyun.

Out of context, this scene doesn't make any sense. What is Megumin trying to say when she asks Komekko that? Why do they start running back to Yunyun? Again, information from the LN is left out. Megumin feels indebted to Yunyun and doesn't want to abandon her, but she also wants Komekko to be safe. So she tells Komekko to run away to the adult villagers, while Megumin goes back alone to save Yunyun. Komekko refuses and insists on staying by Megumin's side, so they run back to Yunyun together.

4. Ignoring the continuity error previously mentioned, I will say that the scene where Megumin realises she can learn explosion was pretty well done. Megumin crazed in laughter, and flashing back to episode 1 where the mage lady uses explosion magic. The music that goes along with this is great too. I'm glad that they used this OST again. This is the level of emotion I've been expecting this entire episode.

I think the magic aura around Megumin when she powers up for explosion magic could have been animated better, and made more dramatic, but I'll forgive it I suppose.

Back to criticism. This episode should be filled with chaos, panic, urgency, distress, dillema, and other extreme emotions. But I didn't feel much of that. Up until Megumin learning explosion magic, this episode is just a sequence of events that unfolded. It is not a story, it's just a bunch of things that happened. No connection, no emotion, no thought process, and hence no relatability to the characters.

I had even higher expectations for this episode because I read the light novel, where it was executed amazingly. Yet, I think even for the average viewer, this episode doesn't feel like a big climax like it should. I don't like the way this was handled, especially story wise. What a letdown.
May 3, 2023 11:32 AM

Dec 2022
so megumi learned her explosion magic
May 3, 2023 11:46 AM

Dec 2018
we finally got our beloved explosion
May 3, 2023 11:59 AM

Nov 2016
I would adopt Komekko lol Her talent for mastering demons and beasts is hilarious and badass. If the author decides to go for another spin-off it should be about her.

Megumin's "debut" was great. I wasn't ready to watch an explosive episode in the middle of the season.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 3, 2023 12:03 PM

Jul 2009
OG explosion chant and theme is epic AF
bruh
May 3, 2023 12:09 PM

Jul 2022
so Komekko was behind it all along, and that eXpLoSIOn was cool af man
but then is chomusuke that dark god monster thing? and what happened to that not goblin host at the beginning????
May 3, 2023 12:26 PM

Apr 2012
Let me guess, we just saw the completion of the adaptation of the first LN arc? This episode literally screams that at the time of the original writing, the writer wasn't sure if this spin-off would get a sequel.
May 3, 2023 12:33 PM

Feb 2008
Definitely one of best episodes . My rating went up .  Explosion !!!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

May 3, 2023 12:41 PM
Apr 2022
for me personally this was the funniest and most hype episode yet. Kommeko has solidified herself as my favourite character of this show and when Megumin she finally said the words we where all waiting for... God that gave me chills. Hell, I screamed them with her

EXPLOOOOOOOSION!!!!!!
May 3, 2023 1:09 PM
May 2021
Komekko is so cute and funny 😂😂. We got to see Explosion and they even graduated from academy, woah! that was faster than i expected 😂
May 3, 2023 1:13 PM

Jan 2021
Probably the best episode so far, we get the long awaited explosion magic and Komekko being the worlds cutest little sister.  
May 3, 2023 1:15 PM
Nov 2022
A gem of an episode, it almost seems like it has the production level of a movie, it was very good, the best episode so far.

Yey, we finally saw the first "EXPLOSION!!!", now I'm really interested to see what direction the series will take now, we just have to wait for next week.
May 3, 2023 1:21 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I like how they spent about half the budget on Megumin's moment
May 3, 2023 1:22 PM
May 2020
that explosion was majestic wth
May 3, 2023 1:24 PM

Feb 2014
Komekko certainly knows no fear, doesn't she? Either way, she did play a part in the seal being broken, but it's nigh-on impossible to get mad at her. XD

While seeing Yunyun unleashing her intermediate level magic to help out was pretty awesome of her to do, this episode was Megumin's turn to shine brightly. Throwing caution to the wind, she went to unlock the almighty explosion magic and wasted no time in summoning one hell of a blast that killed all of the enemies in sight. It was a visual treat to behold, too!

Not only that, but we now get the moment where Chomusuke finally gets her name, which was another highlight of the episode for me. Same goes for when Megumin had her fortune told of what she'll be expecting and the fact the fortune teller looked rather shocked and disappointed making Megumin all annoyed was pretty funny!

Overall, this episode was very satisfying, with Megumin's first explosion magic being the peak of that satisfaction. =)
May 3, 2023 1:38 PM
Oct 2016
Megumin used explosion for the first time! Great moment for her. She almost had to make some tough decisions using her skill points. Yunyun came in clutch learning that intermediate magic so Megumin and Komekko could run. Naturally though as is the crimson demon way Megumin had to return heroically. Yunyun held it down with that lightning spell on those flying monsters. She stopped a could of them from stealing the demon cat. Yunyun and Megumin friendship was displayed well this episode. They are self proclaimed rivals but they care for each other. Both trying to protect the other from the monsters with their magic. Megumin first explosion ever looked great! Layering it upwards towards all the demons flying towards them. The different rings of explosion leading to one big boom! Megumin passed out immediately afterwards but she still looked really cool changing the same words she heard when she first laid eyes on explosion magic. Now since they learned magic Megumin and Yunyun are graduates and need some money for adventuring.
May 3, 2023 1:42 PM
Apr 2020
Chomusuke is a dark god? lol that was an amazing episode i wonder what will megumin do now to earn money
May 3, 2023 1:51 PM
Jul 2015

I disagree with you about how this episode should have been more serious/dramatic. I still see it first and foremost as a comedy, also second, third and forth. It might be a matter of taste, but it is, after all, KonoSuba.

That said, thanks for pointing out the missing bits from the LN. A few parts really did feel a little strange and that explanation helped.
May 3, 2023 1:53 PM

May 2019
Finally got to see her first explosion, such a good episode
May 3, 2023 1:53 PM

May 2015
Well if nothing else this will be the last episode where the idiot localizers call Chomusuke "Inky"
May 3, 2023 2:17 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
It was nice to see Megumin’s first ever explosion, it was massive and beautiful and I’m kinda surprised you can just learn to use that kind of magic by going to school lol, but that was an awesome moment, and she will go on to do it a lot more and faint every time lol.

Also really enjoyed Komekko’s bits here, she’s so damn funny, the fact she actually scared the monsters or “chickens” was a great addition lol. And I guess with that we’re already leaving the school, that was a lot quicker than I expected, but I hope that’s not the last we see of some of the students, there were some fun ones in there.
May 3, 2023 2:54 PM

Dec 2013
Komekko is too precious, she should have been the one to get her own spinoff, seeing how great she becomes when she grows up, Yunyun is too kind too, she deserves better. A bit of a wasted opportunity not having Komekko's intimidation pose be one like a Red Panda.
May 3, 2023 3:06 PM
Nov 2020
fire episode frfr
May 3, 2023 3:44 PM

Oct 2017
And here it is, the first ever explosion. That was so pretty. Yunyun though, she's such a great girl. Using up her points for her friend.

Well they've already graduated from school, I was hoping to see the other girls more.
May 3, 2023 4:43 PM
Oct 2020
LETS GOOOOOO THE FIRST EXPLOSION! Once again Yunyun is a great friend. I wish her happiness
May 3, 2023 5:20 PM
Mar 2023
Despite having watched Megumin's Explosions endlessly, it's always emotional to see the moment of her first EXPLOSION. so cute <3
May 3, 2023 5:29 PM
Oct 2018
Best episode so far. I wasn’t expecting Megumin and YunYun to graduate in the 5th episode so I guess the story is about to take some turns.  But now that I recall, Megumin didn’t go straight to Axel from the Crimson Demon Village. I suppose we’re going to see some of those adventures. 

YunYun was also great in the episode. 5/5
May 3, 2023 5:50 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Great bounceback ep!! This series was getting a little slow and boring for me, but we finally got our first EXPLOSION

That was hype af. And definitely my favourite spell in the main series, so it's good to see it again.

Loved the fortune teller scene LOL. She definitely saw Kazuma XD

May 3, 2023 6:21 PM
Dec 2021
Pop off for the explosion
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2023

91 by Zainehsan2000 »»
Jul 22, 7:40 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2023

178 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jun 28, 10:29 AM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2023

103 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jun 28, 2:39 AM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2023

104 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jun 27, 10:12 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2023

114 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jun 25, 7:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.