Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 23, 2023 8:02 AM
May 2020
I've had enough of this damn isekai genre! It's like every anime that comes out these days is just another generic isekai show, and it's getting old real fast.

First of all, let's talk about the main characters. They're always NEETs or losers who suddenly get transported to another world and become overpowered. Like, seriously? That's the best you can come up with? It's like the creators are just taking the easy way out and not putting in any effort to come up with unique and interesting characters. And don't even get me started on the harem building, it's like these shows are just pandering to the lowest common denominator. It's just so lazy and unoriginal.

And let's not forget about the storylines, they're all the same! Reincarnated as a baby and become OP, reincarnated as a slime and become OP, transported to another world and become a hero or a slave, reincarnated or transported into another world with your colleagues or friends and somehow the mc ended up with the lowest or worse class/role in the story but then become too OP, or the mc transported/reincarnated to another world and use their old memories from their old world to cheat their way through, it's all the same damn thing! And don't even try to tell me that there are different types of stories, because they're all just rehashing the same old formula. It's like the creators are too lazy to come up with new and fresh ideas, and they're just relying on the same old trope to make money.

It's just so frustrating to see how the anime industry is becoming so saturated with these types of shows, it's like they're not even trying to come up with new and fresh ideas anymore. The anime industry is becoming so one-dimensional. It's like they're not even trying to push the boundaries and explore new genres and stories.

I'm not saying that all isekai anime are bad, there are still some gems out there that are worth watching. But the majority of them are just plain boring and uninteresting. I'm just so tired of seeing the same story over and over again, it's time for something new and fresh. I hope that the anime industry will start to focus on more diverse genres and stories in the future instead of relying on the same old isekai formula. It's time for the anime industry to step up and bring something new and exciting to the table
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 23, 2023 8:04 AM

Feb 2020
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're not the only one who's frustrated with this Isekai overdose.
Jan 23, 2023 8:05 AM

May 2019
Took long enough, I've never en bothered with it.
Jan 23, 2023 8:07 AM

Oct 2018
Enough is enough! I have had it with these mother-fucking isekai on this mother-fucking media!
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jan 23, 2023 8:10 AM

Sep 2008
Nothing new from anime studios to take a popular genre and want to get a slice of the pie to profit off of. But won't deny the oversaturation irks me, particularly with reincarnation gimmicks or the series lead conveniently being overpowered and able to overcome enemy threats just about effortlessly.
Jan 23, 2023 8:11 AM

May 2018
"I Had Enough With Isekai Anime!"

Check Youjo Senki aka Saga of Tanya the Evil tho.
Jan 23, 2023 8:20 AM
May 2020
alshu said:
Check Youjo Senki aka Saga of Tanya the Evil tho.
Of course, just like what I mentioned earlier, there are gems amongst the trash in the isekai genre, and Youjo Senki was one of the "best" ones that I've ever watched. At least the anime didn't follow the formula of being transported/reincarnated to a medieval-looking fantasy world, but instead, it was transported to a war-torn world, similar to WW1 or WW2.
Jan 23, 2023 8:23 AM

Sep 2018
The most popular genre is always going to produce a lot of trash, the amount of good authors is limited. I just avoid any isekai that doesn't stand out for some reason. 
Jan 23, 2023 8:23 AM

Nov 2019
I've had enough with 'I Had Enough With Isekai Anime!' threads, lol
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jan 23, 2023 8:36 AM

Jan 2010
Zheniost said:
I'm not saying that all isekai anime are bad, there are still some gems out there that are worth watching. But the majority of them are just plain boring and uninteresting. I'm just so tired of seeing the same story over and over again, it's time for something new and fresh.

Well you do realize that pre-SAO Isekai anime were very different back then from today.  But yeah, I agree that modern isekai show aren't being creative compared to pre-SAO titles from the 90's and early 2000's.

The saddest part is that today's isekai fanbase/fandom aren't giving these same classics the same love that today's modern isekai are getting.  I mean Aura Battler Dunbine, the 1st Isekai anime from 1983-84 is dangerously ignored by the same fanbase that are watching modern Isekais.  You would think that fans of today's Isekai would be giving that show along with Fushigi Yugi, Escaflowne, .Hack franchise, Magic Knight Rayearth should be given the same love it's deserve.

Speaking of Dunbine, I stumbled upon a Reddit thread from a user wondering why did Isekai craze just blew up recently when Aura Battler Dunbine (and future anime in the 90's) did this in 1983.
Jan 23, 2023 8:54 AM

Jun 2022
Based af. Isekai has to be one of the most cringe genres out there besides that ecchi and harem garbage.
Jan 23, 2023 9:08 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Same thing, in my opinion, can be said about romance or shounen anime. It's all the same in every similar genre when compared to each other. Though I understand your frustration.

How about Isekai Nonbiri Nouka? None of what you complain about is in that anime. We don't know if MC was a neet, he's not OP, hero or similar, yet, and he does not have a harem, yet. A bunch of girls, yes but they aren't in love with him as far as I can see. They just live in the same farm. Though this might be one of the good ones as you mentioned.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Jan 23, 2023 9:15 AM

Feb 2021
RealAffan said:
Based af. Isekai has to be one of the most cringe genres out there besides that ecchi and harem garbage.
I totally agree with you. They are literally garbage genres.
Jan 23, 2023 9:19 AM

Sep 2018
Mostly every formula has been done before though creators can try to add a unique spin on things if they want to.  I can`t say all of any genre are exactly the same, but it should not be hard finding a non isekai series.  Every series also has its own target demographics.  
Jan 23, 2023 9:22 AM

Feb 2021
rohan121 said:
Mostly every formula has been done before though creators can try to add a unique spin on things if they want to.  I can`t say all of any genre are exactly the same, but it should not be hard finding a non isekai series.  
Of course it is not a problem to find a work in other genre, issue that is isekai and idols genre are very popular nowadays and practically every work is in either these two genres.
Jan 23, 2023 9:23 AM
Dec 2017
We all have had enough with it and shoujo isn't the only victim, josei,seinen and shounen are all suffering.

Jan 23, 2023 9:29 AM

Feb 2022
If you see any appliance or object in your home not already paired with an elf and a blonde knight, you know there is too much untapped scope for more reincarnation isekai stories. Saying you've had enough is laughable and shortsighted.
Jan 23, 2023 9:35 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
I like how you have only 2 forum posts and one of them is a criticism towards isekai
Jan 23, 2023 9:44 AM

Oct 2013
RealAffan said:
Naw, it's how the majority of them are handled that's "cringe". It's like they basically just pick a random noun from a hat, and that's what the mc is reincarnated as. That and it seems like they're completely incapable of coming up with ways for someone being sent to another world that doesn't involve them dying. And finally, it doesn't really help that most of them take place in basically the same setting. There's so much more you can do with the "other world" concept than just "basic bitch fantasy world #3564365".
FanofActionJan 23, 2023 9:48 AM
Jan 23, 2023 9:45 AM

Jan 2013
I wish we got more reverse isekais like Paripi Koumei.
Jan 23, 2023 9:53 AM

Mar 2022
Is there a reason to treat it this seriously though?
Most Isekai is modern power fantasy which is fun itself. If you are not going in expecting tits, xplosions and ridiculous bs you are doing it wrong.
And, yeah, there are proper exception to the rule of course, but mostly it's as popcorn as it gets. 
Jan 23, 2023 10:03 AM

Jun 2022
FanofAction said:
RealAffan said:
Naw, it's how the majority of them are handled that's "cringe". It's like they basically just pick a random noun from a hat, and that's what the mc is reincarnated as. That and it seems like they're completely incapable of coming up with ways for someone being sent to another world that doesn't involve them dying. And finally, it doesn't really help that most of them take place in basically the same setting. There's so much more you can do with the "other world" concept than just "basic bitch fantasy world #3564365".
See I get your point, but by now this has basically become a staple in these kinds of animes, so now if the audience that enjoys this stuff doesn't find these generic features in the show they probably won't watch it. Hence, the entire genre is essentially garbage. Any interesting ideas have already been implemented in previous isekais. So imo its better to just bin the entire genre and watch literally anything else.
Jan 23, 2023 10:06 AM

Mar 2021
Anime is trash anyways
Human shows massively better
Jan 23, 2023 10:19 AM

Jan 2017
Interesting title for a new Isekai series XD
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Jan 23, 2023 10:19 AM

Feb 2021
Za_Panda said:
Anime is trash anyways
They why do you watch it and what do you don the special site which dedicated to anime and manga?
Jan 23, 2023 10:25 AM

Oct 2013
RealAffan said:
FanofAction said:
See I get your point, but by now this has basically become a staple in these kinds of animes, so now if the audience that enjoys this stuff doesn't find these generic features in the show they probably won't watch it. Hence, the entire genre is essentially garbage. Any interesting ideas have already been implemented in previous isekais. So imo its better to just bin the entire genre and watch literally anything else.
Fair point. It's true these type of shows have a stranglehold on the genre to the point where isekai series that don't follow that formula, like Drifters, basically don't stand a chance these days. And even ones that do follow it, but do it better, can get drowned out.
Jan 23, 2023 10:32 AM

Nov 2008
Otaku run the genre, like 100% run the genre now, and it's resulting in bad products.  It's not sustainable, it's the only special case where otaku ruined an entire genre, because it hasn't happened to any other genre in anime history.

Jan 23, 2023 5:31 PM

Feb 2021
Not reading all that, if you don't like it, then don't watch it
Jan 23, 2023 6:20 PM
Jul 2018
Simple. Just find other shows to watch. I'm not saying this as a fan of Isekai. But I don't see what's so hard about people branching out and finding other shows to watch if they're not pleased about ideas being rehashed in anime. Although, even with shows outside of anime, I can't say that there's much originality.
Jan 23, 2023 7:22 PM

Nov 2020
TheEtherea said:
Is there a reason to treat it this seriously though?
Most Isekai is modern power fantasy which is fun itself. If you are not going in expecting tits, xplosions and ridiculous bs you are doing it wrong.
And, yeah, there are proper exception to the rule of course, but mostly it's as popcorn as it gets. 
I couldn't have said it better myself. Most Isekais are similar, so having similar low expectations is a must. Maybe having high expectations based on a unique premise is the way to go, but as Albert Einstein said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over (having high expectations) and expecting different results (maybe one of them will be excellent)."

And low expectations mean that when a good isekai anime comes out, it will completely blow you away.
Jan 23, 2023 7:51 PM
Jan 2017
no one is forcing you to watch isekai lol chill
Jan 23, 2023 9:50 PM

Jun 2019
Power fantasies for coomers in le generic fantasy land ain't my thing either. 
Jan 23, 2023 10:06 PM

Dec 2013
Probably but, Isekai has not had enough of us.
Shows with more sexual and violent fan-service (slavery is mandatory), are on the rise. The aristocratic villainess from another world theme, is getting as popular as the generic Kirito clone protagonists of old was.

If Isekai is getting to hard to comb through, just try doing that with the Idol genre. You'll lose faith in the anime medium, before you know it.
What I'm saying is, Isekai is the lesser evil, supposedly.
Jan 23, 2023 10:49 PM

Feb 2021
DayDream_Dog said:

I agree, but practically every new series is in this genre. They are everywhere.
Jan 23, 2023 11:18 PM

Jan 2018
they have the anime style to make good stories but they always cheap out with the same formula over and over again. anya the animation looks masterpiece class simply because other shows are just so bad with the same trope or cliches. 

also to make highlight more of it is that they can't even adapt manga to anime 1 to 1, they somehow always manage to cut corners. also i believe they have succumbed to censorship where they cannot be as free as possible to come up with whatever random things that makes it fun to watch. it feels like they are forced to produce anime with a specific structure. 

why they always cheap out on animators wage? just look at the animation quality. they make billions upon billions but the quality gets worst by each passing season. 
Jan 24, 2023 12:01 AM

Mar 2021
Memores said:
Za_Panda said:
Anime is trash anyways
They why do you watch it and what do you don the special site which dedicated to anime and manga?

Because jojolands is gonna start publishing and one piece is still being published

These 2 are the series that have bound me with chains. As long as these remain I can't stop being an anime/manga fan
Jan 24, 2023 12:40 AM

Feb 2021
Za_Panda said:
Memores said:

Because jojolands is gonna start publishing and one piece is still being published

These 2 are the series that have bound me with chains. As long as these remain I can't stop being an anime/manga fan

OK, I understand. Thanks for explaining.
Jan 24, 2023 1:09 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
So have I.. So have I...
Ive had enough of this crap for a couple of years...
Every season they bring out more isekai crap

Jan 24, 2023 1:11 AM

Feb 2020
I 100% agree with everything you said honestly there are some good isekai like Saga of Tanya the Evil (which I feel was one of the most creative isekai) and Re:Zero which does set itself apart from other isekai. But yeah it's getting annoying and what's even more annoying is these isekai get a second season so easily.
Jan 24, 2023 4:19 AM
Jan 2017
Memores said:
DayDream_Dog said:

I agree, but practically every new series is in this genre. They are everywhere.

True. It’s not without reason tho. They wouldn’t be mass producing them if there wasn’t a demand.
Jan 24, 2023 4:28 AM

Feb 2021
DayDream_Dog said:
Memores said:

True. It’s not without reason tho. They wouldn’t be mass producing them if there wasn’t a demand.

Yes, that is what I mean, you are right.
Jan 24, 2023 5:19 AM

Jan 2017
Since there are too many Isekais every season there is bound to be degrade in quality. Its same with every genre. Just watch the good ones and ignore the bad ones if it doesnt suit u. In isekai genre its kinda easy to filter out the generic ones just by reading the synopsis. I personally dont mind Isekais since they are my guilty pleasure.Every season there will be 4-5 good shows at max so just choose them according to ur tastes and leave the rest.
I dont like Idol shows, but if I start pouring hatred for them will it be justifiable? If u dont like something u dont watch it, simple as that. I think u have high expectations with every isekai which will definitely lead to annoyance. Most of them are just made to cater to that power fantasy fetish of audience, so they will be mediocre at best.
Jan 24, 2023 8:54 AM
May 2020
kizumi91 said:
I like how you have only 2 forum posts and one of them is a criticism towards isekai

Lmao, I haven't used this account in a while and never really bothered with making forums, but I guess now it the right time to start doing it. I have been around in MAL for at least a decade now, but never really bothered to make an account.
Jan 24, 2023 9:13 AM
May 2020
MadanielFL said:
Not reading all that, if you don't like it, then don't watch it
That's not the point of this discussion, I don't like it so that's why I don't really watch it. But the point is, the isekai genre dominated the anime industry now, every season you will find at least 2-3 isekai anime. That's why I had enough of them, it always irks me when I see an isekai anime now, back then I used to be happy and excited when they released isekai or reincarnated or transported to another world type of anime, because it wasn't really that much of a trend, somewhere like back in 2015-2017, but now it's just annoying. The peak of the isekai genre started in 2019, and that was when I became annoyed by them. Today, it has reached my limit and that's why I rant my mind out in this forum.
Jan 24, 2023 9:46 AM

Jul 2013
I wish we had more harem Isekai series

Jan 24, 2023 9:49 AM
Jan 2022
This is why I like Re Zero and Konosuba. Sure they start out as NEETS, but they don't become insanely overpowered, especially Subaru.
Jan 24, 2023 9:57 AM

Aug 2009
If you like something then watch it. If you don't like something then don't watch it. I don't like yaoi, sports, Pokemon/Digimon and plain old slice of life anime. So I don't watch them.Nor am I going to waste time posting a thread how I don't like those genre of anime. There is literally tens of thousands of different anime to chose from to watch.
Jan 24, 2023 10:41 AM
Sep 2018
Yup I agree with ya, there’s not much variety when it’s all isekai each season
Jan 24, 2023 10:44 AM

Jun 2010
Every season we got like 4 to 5 dozen new TV shows. If a handful are isekai there is still more than enough to watch. Being bothered by it sounds rather narrow-minded.
Jan 24, 2023 10:55 AM

Apr 2017
And what would you prefer take it's place?

Media tends to run in popularity cycles, when one thing is popular everyone else jumps onboard to try to claim their piece of the pie. I.E. superhero movies in the states.
As a huge fantasy buff I'm loving the isekai trend, although I agree there's a lot of crap but regardless of the genre crap tends to get mass produced by studios looking for a quick buck. I'd rather have 50 crap isekai with 1 gem than 50 crap mecha anime with 1(if that) watchable show.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What does your waifu expect of you?

SgtBateMan - Today

21 by SgtBateMan »»
9 minutes ago

» Misconceptions about anime in general or specific titles that continue to spread despite everything

RobertBobert - May 26

29 by FanofAction »»
14 minutes ago

» What is an "ironic weeaboo"?

IdeDial - 6 hours ago

8 by Kenzolo-folk »»
25 minutes ago

» Exploring Taste Shaming

-Indra - Yesterday

33 by TheMechaManiac »»
26 minutes ago

» How accurate is your country and countrymen portrayed in Anime?

Dragevard - May 28

19 by eblf2013 »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.