Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Eminence in Shadow (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 12, 2022 6:57 AM

Nov 2011
Ah, so that's how Cid met Alpha. At least we got more insight about Cid's character since the first episode didn't go much into depth about it.

Not sure how I feel about Claire in this show yet but she seems to be going through some rough shit. One thing to mention is how angry she reacts when Cid is mentioned in her presence. Another glance of Shadow Garden though...I guess this show will take time to explore each of the cast eventually.
Oct 12, 2022 6:59 AM

May 2020
God that cry was such an act lmao, though what would anyone expect from a 17 year old who got reincarnated while being on his venture to be that eminence in shadow. Also yeah dude’s not a useless mob character like he used to be in this new life, in fact he became a master con.

Isekai is not an isekai without blonde elves around, though nevermind the obvious how that joke demon Diabolos story actually became something true later cracked me up. Cid without even realizing again earned some hefty brownie points courtesy of folks back there in the shadow garden.

Cracking humour.
Oct 12, 2022 6:59 AM

Jul 2017
Minoru Kageno's Isekai-ed "Truck-kun" life of a reincarnation into the Kagenou family, and there's not just him alone, but also his capable sister Claire who is the face of the family, while Minoru as Cid is the background character: the Eminence in Shadow who's just as if not more capable.

The slime that he brought back turned out to enclose an elf within the confines of the Curse of Diabolos, and what Cid came up with is an enough compelling ad-lib of a story to convince the elf. And sure enough he did, with the formation of Shadow Garden and the elf being Alpha.

But one day, Claire got kidnapped, and they need not wait as Alpha already made plans to locate her with the others she found, right at the Cult of Diabolos to take action immediately and discreetly. For Viscount Olba Grease, fighting the members of Shadow Garden was just a test for the real thing: Cid awaiting his presence, and no matter how much power is forced against him, Cid is UNBEATABLE.

Cid and Shadow Garden's journey is just starting...but this is goodbye?

This Isekai is a breath of fresh air.
KANLen09Oct 15, 2022 2:43 AM
Oct 12, 2022 7:16 AM

Jan 2021
I think I need to check out the Light Novel after this or I may have to wait for more episodes to come since there was a lot of events being set up for the future that is going to be coming into play although it felt a little overhwlming.

The episode was still equally as good and intriguing as last weeks though, a lot of characters were introduced and they're all likeable but Cid is seeming like he's on the road to becoming an absolute menace though and I'm here for it.

This show is another breath of fresh air into this saturated genre, would love to see more of Cid's backstory though, the first episode still has me a little confused in some areas but again things will probably get cleared up in the next episode.

Oct 12, 2022 7:41 AM

Jun 2019
Cid's character is quite intriguing to me and at the same time, the show does a good job of portraying the humor in a good way. Would love to see more into the backgrounds of these characters. The story of Diablo becoming true was funny to me.

I'm looking forward to this show. Idk why but the show feels weirdly different but quite similar to its predecessors at the same time, maybe the Isekai elements have something to do with it. LOL.
Oct 12, 2022 7:56 AM

Feb 2021
So this episode pretty much adapted all of chapter 1 of the LN.

Basically an introduction to Alpha, Shadow, and the Shadow Garden.

We got to see some of Cid's power in this episode which was pretty cool, I think the fight scenes were well animated.
We also see a little bit of the lack of coordination between Cid and the rest of the Shadow Garden, which is like central theme in the comedy of this series.

But Claire's voice really sounds different from what I imagined it to be lol
Oct 12, 2022 8:01 AM
Apr 2022
Didn't expect alpa is from something like that.
still didn't find the comedy. maybe just my expectations about the comedy is too high
Oct 12, 2022 8:01 AM

Mar 2013
Another great episode but Cid got dumped in the end lmao... I'm looking forward to more episodes.

A bit disappointed with the comedy parts. I was also expecting it to be more epic and hilarious.

Claire's voice should be more of
(⁠っ⁠˘̩⁠╭⁠╮⁠˘̩⁠)⁠っ
CrazyButNot4UOct 12, 2022 8:05 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Oct 12, 2022 8:08 AM
Jul 2019
How much is the anime trying to cover. Would have loved to see more relations between Cid and the girls in his early days
Oct 12, 2022 8:08 AM

Jul 2014
Cid is friggin mood! now this is how the eminence in shadow is supposed to be! bloody, edgy and funny! I remember how dumbfounded I was when I first read the manga and saw how he acts and kills on a whim lol.
The animation is great, art is good! I hope they can keep it consistent.
Minor nitpick would be the comedic timing, it lacks the oompf to make it funny, it doesnt give the joke time to kick in.
Oct 12, 2022 8:10 AM

Jul 2015
It felt too fast. They could take the OP and ED and doing things more slowly.
Oct 12, 2022 8:21 AM
Oct 2022
The pacing was a bit fast but will eventually tone down later episodes "

The premise is so good lol and the humour is top notch i really like it, cid throwing a knife got me dying along with him getting lost lmao😂 ( can someone stop thag guy for doing random things😂)

It's such a good episode although it's hard to breath😂
Oct 12, 2022 8:21 AM
Oct 2019
Damn it's episode 2 and we move fast fast.

Another Overpowered Isekai Protagonist.
Did he made up the villain group and it's actually exist? Lmao

Eh? That cliffhanger though...
Oct 12, 2022 8:26 AM
Dec 2014
Sasuga Shadow sama!!
Oct 12, 2022 8:29 AM

Aug 2013
Pacing? What is that? I'm guessing this is going to be one of those shows where they throw everything at you upfront to keep you interested then will go back and explain at points when it matters later on down the line. Not sure if it's like that in the source but I'm not even sure how serious this show is meant to be taken. It should be renamed to Eminence in Chuunibyou though. My man is really living his best isekai life.
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 12, 2022 8:30 AM

Jul 2017
man i really enjoy this episode, can't wait for episode 3.
im not too good to speak english

.. -- / -. --- - / - --- --- / --. --- --- -.. / - --- / ... .--. . .- -.- / . -. --. .-.. .. ... ....

Oct 12, 2022 8:32 AM

Feb 2013
2dbest said:
still didn't find the comedy. maybe just my expectations about the comedy is too high

No it wasn't really funny. The joke they were trying to make didn't hit.
Oct 12, 2022 8:33 AM

Oct 2017
This episode reminded me of Ains and Overlord, I can see why many people were saying this is similar to overlord. Cool episode with good action and lots of blood. Also that ending scene lol.
Oct 12, 2022 8:33 AM

Nov 2019
Impressive how he managed to salvage whatever Alpha used to be and restore her to what she looks like now. And the way he managed to come up with such a crazy story on the spot too, impressive.

Oct 12, 2022 8:34 AM
Aug 2018
In the final scene alpha pe tells shadow that it's time to part ways and that this is goodbye. Are you seriously going to separate what do you think or what alpha said has another meaning?
Oct 12, 2022 8:34 AM
Aug 2021
So I'm perhaps concerned with his power level right off the bat. Bit to strong maybe unless the bad guys are going to get really powerful.

Wondering if next episode with be a time jump to him being 15 and going to the school or if they'll delve into the girls leaving Shadow Garden? Have they told them what the bandit said and what was his reaction?

Got a good few chuckles out of the episode, liking the premise and out of the shows I'm watching this season this is probably up there as a favourite so far. Not sure how long the gag of being oblivious will continue to be funny so think he's going to need to learn that his made up story is actually really fairly soon.
Oct 12, 2022 8:37 AM

Jul 2022
This did feel a little rushed, but it's not bad. This could almost have been a first episode, which is exciting, considering there are 18 remaining. I'm looking forward to where this adventure goes!
Oct 12, 2022 8:39 AM

Oct 2008
HAHA! Too much Chuunibyou vibes!...i hope it gets better...or worse...lolz
3/5.

Oct 12, 2022 8:39 AM

Jul 2020
An amusing episode, they sure like to splatter blood all around
The cliffhanger was intriguing
Oct 12, 2022 8:41 AM
Aug 2021
Is the LN or manga better to read? Don't want to be waiting yo find out more of the story.
Oct 12, 2022 8:44 AM

Mar 2020
It's intriguing, but the time skips are a bit jarring, since we don't get to see how Cid formed the Shadow Garden properly. Claire and Alpha seem interesting, but we didn't get much material to really get a feel for the characters. The action scenes were cool this episode, but the animation really isn't anything spectacular.
Oct 12, 2022 8:46 AM
May 2021
Excellent episode 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Oct 12, 2022 8:48 AM
May 2021
PoisonedTea said:
2dbest said:

No it wasn't really funny. The joke they were trying to make didn't hit.

When you will be reading the manga it will hit really differently 😂😂, just try its manga .
Oct 12, 2022 8:48 AM
May 2021
StarZone1 said:
Is the LN or manga better to read? Don't want to be waiting yo find out more of the story.

Read the manga it's much better + art style 🔥
Oct 12, 2022 8:52 AM
Oct 2022
[quote=StarZone1 message=67695850]So I'm perhaps concerned with his power level right off the bat. Bit to strong maybe unless the bad guys are going to get really powerful.

Well basically he's not (After he got reincarnated and even before reincarnation he's already doing training and not a single day he missed doing that) he's just good at controlling magic by enforcing it thru his body) In reality his magic is inferior to Alpha and the others" It's not about the amount of magic it's how you wield it" said by the mc lolll. Without magic he's just a normal fighter you will see next episode how badly he was beaten by a real hero"
Oct 12, 2022 8:56 AM
Oct 2022
It gave me Jobless Reincarnation vibes in the beginning. And MC is much like Ainz so its a W. Loved it.
dev-737Oct 12, 2022 9:20 AM
Oct 12, 2022 8:58 AM
May 2022
That's a bit fast paced" i remember reading the manga the pacing is like this as well.

The mc just see some naked female infront of his face and his face is like 😐 Bro why you act like that now people will call you generic mc if they didn't see you being a simp😪
Oct 12, 2022 9:00 AM

Jul 2022
What's stopping the studio from doing full frontal nudity?
Also, does this guy bend reality to his will?
Say-My-NameOct 12, 2022 9:17 AM
Oct 12, 2022 9:00 AM

Aug 2013
Quite impressive for Cid to make up a lie that quick and to go along with it. Also, did Claire just make her own way home? Like did Cid leave her there?
LeoOct 12, 2022 9:04 AM

Oct 12, 2022 9:05 AM
May 2022
Godlike episode. The animation is so clean and the story is so fun. Can’t wait for the rest of this show
BEASTARS Season 3 will be the best anime ever :)
Oct 12, 2022 9:11 AM
Jul 2015
It was pretty generic..I think the animators missed the whole point of this manga/LN
Oct 12, 2022 9:14 AM
Feb 2016
i've read the manga and honestly the anime made me feel really sleepy
Oct 12, 2022 9:21 AM

Sep 2017
Why they have to censor while Cid was wounding that old bandit!
Oct 12, 2022 9:23 AM

Sep 2017
NakanoHito said:
It was pretty generic..I think the animators missed the whole point of this manga/LN
censorship part disappointed me.
Oct 12, 2022 9:25 AM
Sep 2019
Brilliant writing to the powerful character and his showcases are excellent, precise and to point. It also gives a cliffhanger but more or less just to engage you to just watch the next episode as soon as possible.
Oct 12, 2022 9:27 AM

Jan 2013
Second episode and it still feels edgy and overly serious, not sure where the comedy is supposed to be.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 12, 2022 9:33 AM
Sep 2021
We see our Mc doing all kinds of stuff in the shadow he is OP but this is unknown to the outside world as he pretends to be weak and has already formed his own team the shadow garden.
I give it 6/10.
Oct 12, 2022 9:34 AM

Apr 2021
I wish they'd showed the way he ran toward the truck and got himself killed
Oct 12, 2022 9:37 AM

Nov 2014
His lucky guesses are more than I expected lol. Comedy is rather specific, but I like it. The one thing that worries me is pacing - I don't know source material, but this episode felt a bit too fast for my liking.
Oct 12, 2022 9:41 AM

Nov 2016
Follow up episode reaffrimed that it will be an edgy chuuni power fantasy.

What's in the cage? Of course it's a waifu, lol. Also harem ✅

You can definitely enjoy this for how predictable and corny it is.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 12, 2022 9:42 AM
Apr 2017
It's interesting to see how the anime is tackling the source material. The action is amazing, the pacing & timing in ep 2 not so much.

Imho I think its a good quality adaption, just whoever did the storyboard probably has less experience with comedy. Usually there's things like a beat of pretence before the joke, or the way the scene is framed hints something, or things aren't said outright but implied by shift in tone. Not to mention, focus on the characters face so we can see their reaction, and the reaction to that reaction. But here, some comedic scenes are in silence, or without necessary sound effects while the fight scenes definitely aren't. Like how tension rises in a fight scene, tension also has to rise and fall in comedic scenes. I think that's why this anime felt a bit rocky in that area. Im also just picky. I still enjoyed the episode.

Either way, I think The Eminance in Shadow will show different strengths than the manga & LN. I'm thinking we'll get some cool looking battle scenes, a few different jokes, but it won't beat the manga in that respect. Still looking forward to episode 3 :)
Oct 12, 2022 9:46 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Lesson one: How to bullshit your way to victory.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Oct 12, 2022 9:46 AM
Jan 2019
Very disappointed with the comedy
The mc sounds bored in the manga it was more funny the delivery
I did not think the series would be this violent
but since most of the comedy did not work, it felt like generic isekai show at least for me
Oct 12, 2022 9:52 AM

Nov 2013
ah yes, meet tons of random girls in 1 episode, defeat everyone without problems, and then "oh they are leaving already"

seriously, wtf is this anime ????? ....... lmao

tbh i think the only good part was the sister lol
winddevil1Oct 12, 2022 9:55 AM
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Oct 12, 2022 9:56 AM
Aug 2022
first episode was wayy better, this took a step down, hope it gets better or I will soon drop it
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2022

186 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

765 by BlaiseAuto »»
Sep 4, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2022

149 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2022

193 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:56 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2022

165 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 2:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.