Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Those White Notes
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 23, 2021 10:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol Setsu drooling over food.

The sound performances of this show isn't easy to play for anyone. I'm sure Setsu realizes that but he has the talent.

Kaito is becoming a breakout character imo. He is just very entertaining with his charisma.
Apr 23, 2021 12:05 PM

Apr 2018
Love the opening. It was a good episode. The brother to brother convo was wholesome.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Apr 23, 2021 12:15 PM

Jul 2017
The way that Setsu is now, he's just trying to copy imitate his Gramps' playing for someone who knows his songs. Asking his brother Wakana for advice, and after last episode's scuffle with the smug Tokyo jerk Kamiki Seiryuu, looks like they hilariously share a common enemy.

So striking is Setsu's Gramps' playing of "Shungyou / Spring Dawn" on the Shamisen which evokes many emotions with the flaming intensity, it's gonna be hard for Setsu to find his own voice within that godly piece of work.

The Tsugaru-Shamisen Appreciation Club still has aways to go, hope they improve together with Setsu in the long-run. But for now, the improptu piece brought her memories back to the time with Setsu's grandfather, no wonder she's the ONLY person whom have heard his playing before he got famous. Playing his own version of Shungyou with heart to Shuri's grandmother, it's obviously different but with recognition for connecting the past to the present.

This show is giving me not just another Kono Oto Tomare ver 2.0, but one that's flaccidly fluent with flare, and that's the extent of my praise with this show. WELL DONE to an underrated show.
Apr 23, 2021 12:23 PM

Nov 2015
*clap clap*

The show knows how to pull at my heart strings. My grandmother is very important to me so that whole scene with the Grandma had me on the verge of tears. Amazing episode.
Apr 23, 2021 12:26 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Its nice though that after coming so far from his home that Setsu's actually showing concern to someone else. Setsu's expression at seeing the rice balls though was so amusing. Still at least Kamiki through Setsu's performance was able to determine that he still has that spark inside him. That recording though really was impressive. Real handy to live next to a restaurant though. Setsu's performance really resonated well with the grandmother's memories. While the piece wasn't the same as what the grandmother heard back then its nice that it still had the desired effect for her. Umeko though has quite the challenge for Setsu planned though thats for sure. Overall an excellent ep that while doing well in introducing some new characters also provided an excellent opportunity for Setsu to shred the last parts of the past and strive to create a new sound for himself. His performance at the hospital while excellent was supported well by the memories that the Grandmother had of that time. The sound performance for this show really is amazing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2021 12:29 PM

Jun 2019
What a nice way to portray the things there from Sawamura and telling Sestu what he should do, "Go and tell them, that's how Shungyou sounds like now, " Really like how it sounded. Also, the OST of this show is getting better and better with each episode. But, Sawamura got angry after Setsu told him about his bad performance. I guess, there must be some past behind it. His grandpa sure was amazing. Go ahead, Setsu. Make your own Shungyou. Don't try to sound like your grandpa. Amazing journey so far, I'm in love with this show since I'm a music nerd myself. Can't help but love it more and more.
Apr 23, 2021 12:31 PM
Sep 2015
When the music level is so deep it not only convey an emotion, but also a life experience as well. Though to be fair, all mixed media, anime, film, game about music, is not pure music, as it is accompany with visual and storytelling. Finding yourself crying just only listen to the music is harder, yet it is even more rewarding!
Apr 23, 2021 1:03 PM

Nov 2012
This show is something else, specially the music so, the perfomances are really amazing and immersives
Apr 23, 2021 1:37 PM
Apr 2019
When i heard the music it gave me gooseflesh
Apr 23, 2021 1:39 PM

Jul 2017
This show is the king of inconsistency when it comes to my feelings for each individual episode. From terribly rushed, to excellent, to bizarre, to another really strong showcase outside the Seiryuu stuff which I didn't care for. Whenever I form a general opinion on the show, something always changes. But one thing that I will state that remains consistent, are the quality of the performances and the emotion behind them (whether the performances are good or not in terms of the show). That's easily been the carrying point of success for the show since the drama beyond the performances and the emotions linked to them, have been really mediocre so far. Hopefully the show beyond the performances and flashbacks relating to them improve as a whole.
Apr 23, 2021 2:42 PM

Mar 2020
Think I understand why Setsu's grandfather did not want to teach him "Shungyou." The "sound" the individual creates is their own. If one wants to play a certain piece. They'll have to incorporate their own sound into it rather than trying to copy the piece which is what Setsu wanted to do as a child.

Without a doubt "Shungyou" is the best piece that has been played so far.
made by Nate
Apr 23, 2021 3:02 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
In his failed pursuit of his grandfather's sound, he was able to find his own sound in the process. Thus he was able to create his own Shungyou. I honestly thought he wouldn't play it until the finale, as it seemed to be his ultimate goal. Perhaps later he'll play the actual song and not the simplified version? It's possible, as it seems like his mother is about to set up a tournament.

Also just want to point out how every girl in this show is insanely cute.
Apr 23, 2021 3:37 PM

Sep 2017
This was definitely the strongest episode so far for me. Nothing to rly complain about. His mom continues to be weird and shounen but w/e.
Apr 23, 2021 4:17 PM

Jan 2015
"Are you alive?"

That scene was so well done. Watched it multiple times and laughed every time.
Apr 23, 2021 4:52 PM

Oct 2009
The brother-brother discussion, Sakura being so cute, Setsu drooling over food, the boys listening to the tape, the chance meeting with Rai and geting that handmade Tamapiyo, Kaito getting "lectured" even though all he does is really just calling Yui out, and then the entire scene where Setsu finally gets to play for Shuri's grandma - why does it feel like that could as well be the last time anyone sees her alive?...... Ah, I'm not crying, you're crying.
That last scene with Umeko felt really out of place and unnecessary, could've introduced the tournament a thousand other ways.
Apr 23, 2021 4:55 PM

May 2015
that was absolutely beautiful
Apr 23, 2021 5:18 PM
Wings

Apr 2017
This episode started off slow, but the pay off was sure worth it. I feel myself growing a further appreciation for the shamisen every episode.

The grandma gave some wise words to Setsu. Similar to what his grandfather said about Setsu needing to find his own sound instead of chasing his.

The shamisen tournament his mum is setting up seems interesting. It could give Setsu the confidence boost he needs, but could also avert his focus from finding his sound, in favour of appealing to the crowd.
Apr 23, 2021 5:18 PM
Jun 2012
I would've consider to drop this anime if the sound of Shamisen wasnt so utterly captivating. Fortunately they dialed down the drama after the episode one and move into a more sensible story so I'll keep watching.
Apr 23, 2021 5:33 PM
Jul 2018
It's amazing how Sawamura Touch shamisen was very interesting, it kind of showed more about your grandfather.

The songs were really good, and it was really an incredible episode.
Apr 23, 2021 5:44 PM
Sep 2018
Several places I was laughing out loud; glad I watched it during the day so I didn't disturb the housemates.

The piece which has been central through this episode is an improvisational work; it's never played quite the same way twice, and that's by intent.
It took him this long to finally grasp that what his gramps' could pass on to him was the bare bones of it, that he'd need to flesh it out himself based upon his current skill level (and his audience).
He isn't his grandfather, and his grandfather didn't want his grandsons to form a "tribute band." but rather to travel down their own paths as they developed their own unique voices.
"I won't teach it to you, give it to you, you have to steal what you can from my sound and transform it into your own." Words to that effect.

Some really cute scenes; good inter-personal interactions.

Someone commented on it being convenient to him, living next door to a restaurant. That's not quite right; he lives upstairs from the restaurant, the lodging is a source of income to the family running the restaurant, something they can rely upon to be there (provided they have decent tenants...don't get me started on that aspect of being a landlord...)
Remember, he didn't select the lodgings, his mother did. She may be a piece of work, but she placed him where he could be assured of not starving to death due to neglecting to take proper care of his meals...part of the deal is that he goes to school where she directed, and she covers his housing and food...that's about as much as he's willing to accept from her at this time, and she'd taking the long view on things...kinda sorta maybe, given the scene at the end.

His mother has talent, and the ability to recognize the talent dormant in others.
She also had the wisdom to realize she'd be a lousy parent to her kids, that they'd be far better off being raised by their grandfather, who I presume to be her father. I mean, can you imagine what having her as an active part of their formative years would have done?!
She left them to her father to raise and shape, knowing he'd do a good job of it.
Now, however, they're moving into her world, and she'll not stand idly by any longer.
Her methods may be just a tad twisted in regard to her "assistance", but if they survive them, that combined with how her father shaped them could produce something quite unique, in a good way.
That's my take on it, anyway.
WeasalopesApr 23, 2021 5:47 PM
Apr 23, 2021 6:14 PM
Mar 2019
good episode as always, truly a gem this season
I love K-On, and so should you.

Apr 23, 2021 6:15 PM
Apr 2020
Okay, I decide to ship main guy with the girl who made him riceballs.
Apr 23, 2021 7:41 PM

Jan 2020
I love what the shamisen music can really do for the characters mentally

Apr 23, 2021 8:12 PM
Jul 2018
Great episode. The Shamisen performance by Setsu was phenomenal. Very thought-provoking.
I loved Setsu's grandfather Shamisen style at the same time. He is really talented :)
Apr 23, 2021 8:30 PM

Jun 2019
I was worried that this anime might be too static if Setsu didn’t make a stride toward making his own sound in this episode, thankfully that didn’t end up being the case. He finally started to move past emulating his grandpa this episode and it looks like he will end up competing in a high school competition sometime down the line.
Apr 23, 2021 8:52 PM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode again with another incredible performance.

Listening to Setsu play that impromptu piece was mesmerizing, it may not have the same signature as his grandfather's piece but I'm glad Shuri's grandmother seemed to recognize that it did have the same kindness in it that his grandfather's piece did.

Really liked how she mentioned that it was beautiful to see these things passed down from one to another and withstand the test of time. Connecting the past to the present is a such a powerful theme when used correctly.
Apr 23, 2021 9:02 PM

Apr 2010
Amazing episode to be honest. The emotion's that music can give us are extremely diverse. Both happiness and sadness. What a great piece at the end.
Apr 23, 2021 9:06 PM
Apr 2021
I would like to state that Yamano is my waifu material.
I mean look, she cares for you and gives you a lot of food, or rice.
Apr 23, 2021 9:11 PM

Dec 2020
great episode. so many memorable scenes brother to brother convo, the guys listening to the tape with illustrations shown, short hair girl's grandma's flashback, and my favorite "are you alive?" "dont drop dead before i play"
Apr 23, 2021 9:39 PM

Dec 2019
Is it just me or is Mashiro no Oto extremely inconsistent with its episodes? Like the first episode was great, the second was okay, then the third was kinda eh. And then this masterpiece of an episode comes out of absolutely nowhere. This was genuinely one of the best episodes of the season so far imo but I'm still trying to decide how I feel about this anime. Hopefully it becomes more consistent.
Apr 23, 2021 10:39 PM
Dec 2020
this anime has one of the best OST this season , though not japanese am in love with the shamisen
Apr 23, 2021 10:52 PM
Apr 2020
Today's performance of Setsu made me a lil bit of emotional plus a freakin goosebumps. The studio really has a good Shamisenarists in there. Another excellent episode :)
Apr 24, 2021 12:34 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
So, the blue haired guy, Rai, from the second episode also the shamisen player too, and the orange haired dude, Kaito, was the audiophile. Okay combination. The drama interaction within the side characters also looked pretty much well done intriguing. Beside the main deal of these episode to ofc brought Setsu into making a new sound of his grandpa masterpiece version. Setsu simplified it, but its successfully moved the poor Shuri's grandma heart into once again gratitude being alive until that time. The sound that connected her past and present resonate perfectly. Good shit direction of the episode and really healed my heart in a glance too with the melody, ngl.

At the end, the eccentric Mama finally launched a move too when realizing her son got a bold move. The next Setsu's high school life will once again entering the new stage to mastering a very good shamisen melody to all of his audience needs. Lets see how its goes!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 24, 2021 1:06 AM

Jul 2017
Xesty17 said:
Is it just me or is Mashiro no Oto extremely inconsistent with its episodes? Like the first episode was great, the second was okay, then the third was kinda eh. And then this masterpiece of an episode comes out of absolutely nowhere. This was genuinely one of the best episodes of the season so far imo but I'm still trying to decide how I feel about this anime. Hopefully it becomes more consistent.

Feel the same way as you except I didn't like the first episode since that felt like a whole season happened in one episode, and liked the second one pretty nicely. But yeah, inconsistency is definitely there so far.
Apr 24, 2021 1:52 AM

Jan 2016
My favourite out of the first four episodes so far. The performances here are unbelievably immersive.
Apr 24, 2021 2:53 AM
Jul 2019
animejas said:
Xesty17 said:

Feel the same way as you except I didn't like the first episode since that felt like a whole season happened in one episode, and liked the second one pretty nicely. But yeah, inconsistency is definitely there so far.

For the plot and character development, maybe some mediocre episodes are needed. So let's just wait until the plot fully matures.

Also is it only me who feels so dumb when even an average person in the show recognizes the premise of the song? I am unable to make any of it at all!

Loved this episode.
Apr 24, 2021 2:59 AM

Oct 2008
damn yo! just at episode 4 they gave us an early best episode at of current yet!
i truly teared-up at the grandma part!
truly well done!
5/5!

Apr 24, 2021 3:14 AM

Nov 2013
the sound setsus playing is not describable its just breathtaking woah I keep getting surprised how much power the sound of shamisen holds
also what is his mum up to? i don't have a good feeling
Apr 24, 2021 4:59 AM

Dec 2015
Really a great episode. And the other chars are interesting as well: So that other great shamisen guy recognized a bit more about Setsu - not him just not playing good enough.

The son of that rakugo guy is interesting as well. Though the rakugo guy itself could help here a bit more I guess. I think (from some other anime about rakugo) they also have shamisen playing while doing the rakugo - might give hime something he can incorporate into "his" sound ... if he gets to know a bit about rakugo.

Grandma was funny - when he asked if she was still alive. :D

Edit: Also: Grandma giving the grandfather (in the flashback food ... reminded a bit of when earlier in the episode the young girl from the boarding house gave the rice balls to Setsu: :D
Apr 24, 2021 5:47 AM

Oct 2016
Really great episode! Every time we get a Shamisen performance is always so captivating, it just pulls you in. And this episodes performance was fantastic, along with Shuri's grandma's backstory which we saw a little bit of how Matsugorou lived back then.

Setsu really be a lady killer, Sakura making those rice balls and giving him a bigger serving is adorable. Setsu also has his hilarious moments from time to time, like when he found the rice ball and when he was being blunt to Shuri's grandma lmao. I am guessing Yui likes Kaito, so she's mad that Kaito is always talking about Shuri.

Mama bout to enter Setsu into a competition! Really looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 24, 2021 9:26 AM

Apr 2020
I think one of the best things was the two brothers phonecall jajaja the humming, all the ups and downs and emotions

was so cute when Setsu blushed with his favourite part of Shungyou at Kaito's place ^W^ and it was gratifying to hear his own version

finally Nagamori senpai is here, was hyped with him since I saw the mini specials! btw am not going to get tired of listening to the OP
Apr 24, 2021 11:48 AM

Mar 2017
It's incredible how a single song can impact a person's life like that. Setsu's grandpa saved that girl's life with his song all those years ago and Setsu brought her peace once again with that very same song. Makes you realise how interwoven our lives are.

Setsu learned something this episode that is going to take his performances to a new height from here on; he needs to let go of the admiration he has for his grandpa and let his own sound guide him.
Apr 24, 2021 1:13 PM

May 2018
Whoa, looks like Setsu's Thicc Mom already has plans for her son to make to the big wigs.
Apr 24, 2021 1:23 PM

Feb 2008

Captivating.

Although the grandson's performance did not eclipse his grandfather's, it was a great interpretation regardless.

Sawamura's mother already has a new trick up her sleeve. At least she would if she had any sleeves…
Apr 24, 2021 6:00 PM

Aug 2017
That made me cry, the music was so moving! Looking forward on how he will find his true music.

Yes there are some inconsistencies but all series do have them. Let's enjoy the ride.

Apr 24, 2021 6:14 PM
Aug 2020
noooooooooooo, i didnt want to watch him compete, im sad now, i thought they were gonna do something better than have a competition
Apr 24, 2021 11:46 PM

Jun 2020
Really hate when characters in anime don't move any finger or even their arms while playing any occasional instrument so this show is some kind of a visual orgasm during musical scenes
Apr 25, 2021 2:20 PM

Jun 2015
Amazing the way music can connect feelings to memory, and invoke emotional response. I experienced a couple days back walking up the main high street while on my way to the new job id just got and some dude was playing this wild looking drum thing. Not an instrument Ive ever seen, but the sound he made as I passed spoke to me and lifted my spirits. Much like this show, we feel music, even at a primordial level, we can feel and the sound can elevate us. Looking forward to more from this show!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Apr 26, 2021 4:24 AM

Feb 2014
Few Seasons ago the sound of Koto made my heart tingle. Now the Shamisen is rumbling my inner feelings. Traditional music really hits right in the kokoro.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Apr 26, 2021 10:40 PM

Nov 2019
The best episode after that gloomy taste episode 3 has left us paid everything off. It was very very emotional even that Grandma's part I just couldn't help but tear up.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» is there a chance for season 2?

moonichild - Jun 18, 2021

14 by ssourcandy »»
Jan 30, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2021

44 by MyLadyShip »»
Aug 21, 2023 3:19 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2021

129 by Goldentigris78 »»
May 25, 2023 9:01 AM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2021

120 by Goldentigris78 »»
May 25, 2023 8:55 AM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

53 by Hilomenchero »»
Sep 25, 2022 10:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.