Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 17, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The lives of 86ers really are tough. Got to see more of them on the frontlines fighting against those drones. Everyday is a new challenge.

I kinda like the depth of the fighting and combat. There's also the professional lives of Lena and how they live each day by the books and their rules. I like tough Lena is and isn't afraid to hold back her words. 11 episodes confirmed so far for the first cour today. I expect second cour to have the same amount.
Apr 17, 2021 8:28 AM

Apr 2020
Many people from 86 have died. Shin's ability is very useful and Shin was damn cool, he is very good at controlling the Juggernaut. Also the animations are really good and the sound effects are great too.

I kinda like the ED song.
Apr 17, 2021 8:31 AM

Feb 2018
An anime that I should have seen last week but I don't remember

a little surprised by that name tag, there is nothing to say much because this is just a fight, war and death. The robot is like a mixed model but is there someone inside? Just want to say this battle scene is really good, masterpiece but yeah, their lines are really hard to understand even with the subtitles. I think that is the lack of this anime. Shin can easily find out the enemy's location with his ability, so is Ai an enemy? The military academy is also loose. The people who live in areas that are considered to be unoccupied is 86. In accordance with the title, or this is coercion idk.

Really like that medical check costume, really... So sexy. Somehow the sci-fi theme like this and the soundtrack of sawano hiroyuki are really interesting, will the next episode of Shin show his power? Next eps "I don't want to die"
Apr 17, 2021 8:32 AM

Feb 2019
It’s still surreal for me to be able to say it’s 86 Saturday. Another masterfully crafted episode. The CG legion look great. I normally hate all types of CG, but it was so well done today that it was impossible for me to hate on it. I hope that continues throughout.

Sawano and Kohta OST during the legion fight scene was AMAZING. I can’t wait for the full OST to drop, goosebumps man.

I liked the use of academy instruction to world-build, and I think the pacing overall was amazing today. Didn’t even do a full chapter, so it’s pretty safe to say we’re only getting one volume for the first cour. Confirmed to be 11 eps today.

Anddd the main event, the ED. Been waiting over a year for this and of course it didn’t disappoint. Top 5 Sawano songs for sure. We feasting boys
Apr 17, 2021 8:35 AM

Feb 2018
Will Legion stop in two years?
Apr 17, 2021 9:43 AM
Jun 2020
I don’t understand this
Why did Shin killed his injured teammate in Ep 1
Apr 17, 2021 9:51 AM

Feb 2016
Another great episode. Unexpectedly the CGI didn't look out of place which is good.
As expected of Sawano the OST and ED were amazing
Syureria said:
Will Legion stop in two years?
Apr 17, 2021 9:56 AM

Apr 2018
Lamyanba1999 said:
I don’t understand this
what i get from it theres 2 reasons
1. put him out of his misery
2. they all said earlier that if they're gonna die they wanna die by the hands of the reaper (shin)
Apr 17, 2021 10:00 AM

Dec 2019
Saturday couldn't have been better. Great CGI, great Sawano tracks, great dialogue. I got chills when the first combat scene was shown. Lena and the 86 are continuing to bond more, but it looks like there's obviously some tension. I don't blame the 86 for having conflicted thoughts about their Handler after they usually get abused daily by the Republic.

Also a fair bit of exposition this time. Hopefully, that explains some more for the non-source reader watchers who complained about not knowing everything and anything in the first episode.
Here we go again...
Apr 17, 2021 10:01 AM
Jun 2020
dreampunk said:
Lamyanba1999 said:
I don’t understand this
1. put him out of their misery
2. they said earlier that if they're gonna die they wanna die by the hands of the reaper (shin)

Can’t they just treat the injuries . I don’t think that guy was on a brink of death , so
Apr 17, 2021 10:01 AM

Apr 2019
Series has a lot of potential, I like where it’s going.

Apr 17, 2021 10:07 AM
Jul 2019
Lena's innocence makes me uncomfortable
Apr 17, 2021 10:11 AM
Oct 2016
We got much more this episode action and about the world itself. Seeing just how badass the Spearhead squadron is when facing the enemy. Which as we learned is called the Legion, a giant mass of actually autonomous robots trying to invade San magnolia. They have been for the past nine years, the start of it all lead San magnolia to adopt their own "autonomous" drones, the very much human piloted juggernauts, and to strip the basic human rights from anyone not an Alba which have the silver hair and eyes to make pilot their new drones. An extremely sick way to "prevent casualties" by taking away rights and not calling a certain section of your population human. But there is some hope especially with Lena.

Her standing up to the dumb teachings going on with the military schools to New handler recruits. Telling them exactly how it actually is out there, that the eighty six are just like they themselves are, expect they don't get the luxury of a care free life. Lena is extremely brave for even doing that simple act. Trying to set some things right that she sees are very wrong. Along with setting up a strong rapport with Undertaker. Lena is genuinely trying to get to know the Spearhead squadron better. Taking an active role in their missions and their well being, wanting Shin to actually fill out his reports right, Lena won't let stuff like that slide as their previous handlers did.
Apr 17, 2021 10:14 AM

Jan 2021
The box with all the names of his classmates really gave me chills....
Really liked the CGI and the animation
Well, now I understand a little more the history of the 86 and the war and they also solved my doubt why they are all have white hair xdd
Now I can officially ship them (◕‿◕)♡

Exellent episode

Jan 2014
A lot came out this episode, and it's really keeping me on my toes for the rest of the series. A great start honestly, can't wait for more of it to unfold next week.
Sep 2020
I don't understand. WTF do you mean pigs that failed to evolve?
Apr 17, 2021 10:15 AM
Apr 2021
Ngochuy said:

I guess she just doesnt really know how 86ers feel. And yeah, im a bit lot mad at the government being racist
Apr 17, 2021 10:16 AM

Jun 2019
First of all, The OP is really good. I love it. Gotta say the CG in this show is incredibly done. They're nailing it. Animation is really good as well. Shin seeing that box full of tags was pretty sad. So many of his comrades have already died. Felt bad for him there. Shin is such a great leader. That OST is god-tier. Holy shit. I can't fathom how good it is. I loved it so much. Their lives sure are harsh and the conditions they have to live in. Every day many die in the battle. Also, now that I know why they all have white hair, I can rest in peace. LMAO.
I'm loving this show as well. What's going on with this season.
Apr 17, 2021 10:16 AM

Dec 2017
I don't know why Shinei reminds me a bit of Sukasuka protagonist, though it has ayanokouji voice
Apr 17, 2021 10:19 AM

Nov 2015
Ok, this episode really surprise me (in a good way) as one of the many LN readers out there.

Why?

The middle part of the episode where Lena is lecturing in the military academy is an anime original, and I love that.
That original scene is actually a very genius way of explaining the background of the entire war without using annoying invisible narrator. Not only that, this part also confirm my personal prediction that 1st cour will only adapt volume 1, while the 2nd cour will adapt volume 2 and maybe 3.

In next episode, hopefully many people will notice why many modern MBT and military vehicle still use tracks rather than wheels or spider leg like juggernauts in this anime.
Apr 17, 2021 10:21 AM

Oct 2017
The action in this episode was really well done, Undertaker was sick af with his controls of the Juggernaut.

I know Mirizé is trying her best to communicate with the spearhead squad but she doesn't understand their feelings which is not surprising, so I feel like her efforts are going in vain for now. Thou I'm sure they'll be able to understand each other someday. Also I wonder why everyone was scared of Undertaker at the end scene.
Apr 17, 2021 10:21 AM

Apr 2018
Lamyanba1999 said:
dreampunk said:
2. they said earlier that if they're gonna die they wanna die by the hands of the reaper (shin)

Can’t they just treat the injuries . I don’t think that guy was on a brink of death , so
we only really saw him chest up so we don't know what his full state was like but im guessing it wasn't the best
Apr 17, 2021 10:22 AM
Aug 2020
Another great episode. I really love the worldbuilding, animation, atmosphere, music, and character interactions in this series. I'm really looking forward to seeing what this series has in store next, this could end up being among my favorite anime this season.

A lot of people were comparing this to Attack On Titan last week, I didn't really get it but I think I do now. It looks like this series is going to delve into topics like racism and fascism similar to Attack On Titan, although I hope it won't be as messy and will handle these topics better than Attack On Titan does.

One problem I have with this episode is that I thought it was really weird that the scene of the character's at the camp was shown after the credits when it could've been shown before. Seems like a weird choice to me.
Apr 17, 2021 10:24 AM
Apr 2019
Lamyanba1999 said:
dreampunk said:

His injury was fatal. And the 86 are not given minimum necessities like good diagnosis etc. So there's no point in letting him die a painful death. There's another reason, but that'll be revealed later.
Apr 17, 2021 10:25 AM

Jul 2016
This episode explain some exposition in a nice way. Which is good and the pacing is consistent. The CGI fight are well choreographed and the background art is great. Its good that we delved the characters in the 86ers side. That last shot of Shin tho.

The ED song is great and the OST in the fight on first half is hype

Apr 17, 2021 10:28 AM

Oct 2018
The juggernaut and legion animation is done incredibly well along with the Sawano drop. Is anyone from Troyca working on this show? Because that cut was like watching a Re:Creators episode.

Apr 17, 2021 10:29 AM

Nov 2013
The action and CGI were top notch in this episode and Sawano totally killed it with the OST. The ED in particular was amazing and in spite of the symbolic static visuals, I have a feeling that that they will change/evolve with each episode.

As for the content itself, not much was covered this time, since the 2nd half had quite a lot of original content. Honestly I kind of digged the way they went to cover the much necessary exposition. Good addition all things considered; and it gives me hope that they are taking things slow with the adaptation.

Also ngl, seeing Shin´s reactions (annoyingness in this case) were pretty amusing considering how unemotional he looks like. Can´t wait to see more of him and Lena interacting in the upcoming episodes.

KaitonApr 17, 2021 10:34 AM

Apr 17, 2021 10:31 AM

Aug 2013
Great episode. Simply amazing.

Finally got to see the Legion. The illustration for each one was provided in the light novel, but it was nice seeing it animated. They looked great even if it was CG.

I loved the fight against the Legion. Especially the OST. That was amazing. And Shin was incredible when fighting against them.

Finally got to hear the ED. I'm starting to get used to the OP. Though I wonder why they used a map of the real world in it?

Kaie made a huge blunder. Now Shin has to write up those reports. XD

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode again, these episodes end before I know it.

Love Lena so far, she might come of as innocent but is steadfast in her beliefs and morally just, definitely the kinda character I'm all for. Really liked the scene where she tried to tell those recruits how messed up their government is and the atrocities they committed.

The action sequences were great, soundtrack was awesome too. How did I not realize Sawano was working on this?

I'm curious about one thing, it was mentioned that one of the categories used to segregate people was hair color. Anju in Shin's battalion does have silver hair, why was considered 'not human' ?

Surprisingly my favorite part of the episode turned out to be the post credit scene where Lena talks to the unit, it's interesting because she's trying to gain experience from perhaps the most experienced unit in the war while the unit themselves are a little perplexed with her attitude because Lena seems to show compassion for them. It's kind of a wholesome dynamic in the middle of a brutal war, I'm really liking it.

Can't wait for next week.

Nov 2015
ShikishimaKrile said:
I don't know why Shinei reminds me a bit of Sukasuka protagonist, though it has ayanokouji voice

I can see that they have similar appearance, but some part of the personality is different though. Willem is more carefree and can actually make a funny joke sometimes, while Shin is already lost that side of personality (war and discrimination can change people personality).
Apr 17, 2021 10:32 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Thats a lot of comrades that Undertakers unit had lost over their missions. Still thats quite the force that the legion deployed against the unit. Though 86's mecha's aren't as modern as the enemies when used correctly they can certainly be a potent force. Undertakers single handed demolition of those Lowe's was impressive. Overall that ambush was pretty damm effective. The history lesson provided some interesting info in the form of Lena's lesson. The special wartime preservation act huh a pretty name for something that makes discrimination legal. Lena though really was brave in pointing the true history to the students though. Its unfortunate but the belif that she's trying to overturn is far too ingrained within society to easily change. But Damm Shinn's a damm good shot with a handgun. The term of service that was mentioned in the end was pretty interesting. Given that society regards them as non existent i don't think they can simply become normal citizens. Overall an excellent ep that featured a good balance of combat and worldbuilding. This world really is one of contrasts thats for sure. As long as they keep the current pace i think this anime has some good potential.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2021 10:35 AM

Mar 2020
Mirizé definitely feels sympathetic for the spearhead squad; however, from the face expressions I saw, they don't feel comforted at all.
Apr 17, 2021 10:35 AM

May 2019
CG and animation is really. This anime and godzilla both has pretty good CGI.
Action scenes were smooth, but world itself is bit difficult for me to understand, i have to rewatch it again with pen and paper in hand to enjoy it next time.
Apr 17, 2021 10:37 AM

Aug 2018
I hope it further explores why the 86ers are segregated from the rest of the population
_______I like rocks__
Apr 17, 2021 10:38 AM
Dec 2018
I really like this episode. Most of them can't read or write at a high level since they grew up in the internment camps. Though, I think Shin was educated a bit prior to being forcibly relocated to the 86 district.

ConceptualheroApr 17, 2021 11:15 AM
I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
Apr 17, 2021 10:43 AM

Jul 2017
oh shet finally a proper battle against the beta.....I mean legions has arrived.

but yeah this is really starting to give off DiTF vibes with the whole children being used as war tools. ngl though wasn't expecting the whole "86 are humans" type of speech to happen so soon, seemed like it'd be one of those things that had more buildup to it but oh wellz

judging from the title next ep somebody's gonna die :P
Apr 17, 2021 10:47 AM

Jul 2011
That classroom scene could had explained why 86s obey. I mean you have guns, a tank. And don't looks like the Republic have air support.

Why even the enemy have a hive of air units if they don't scout?

Isn't the become a citizen talk kinda weird? Unless the Republic have a white washing machine.

Maybe I should continue watch but tone down my seriousness?
Apr 17, 2021 10:48 AM
Nov 2019
Lelouch0202 said:
Fantastic episode again, these episodes end before I know it.

Love Lena so far, she might come of as innocent but is steadfast in her beliefs and morally just, definitely the kinda character I'm all for. Really liked the scene where she tried to tell those recruits how messed up their government is and the atrocities they committed.

The action sequences were great, soundtrack was awesome too. How did I not realize Sawano was working on this?

I'm curious about one thing, it was mentioned that one of the categories used to segregate people was hair color. Anju in Shin's battalion does have silver hair, why was considered 'not human' ?

Surprisingly my favorite part of the episode turned out to be the post credit scene where Lena talks to the unit, it's interesting because she's trying to gain experience from perhaps the most experienced unit in the war while the unit themselves are a little perplexed with her attitude because Lena seems to show compassion for them. It's kind of a wholesome dynamic in the middle of a brutal war, I'm really liking it.

Can't wait for next week.

Anju has slightly different hair and eyes color ,look her design again and compare it to Alba's .
Apr 17, 2021 10:50 AM

Jun 2014
Lena sure didn't hold back or sugar coat the facts when she was talking to those students and telling them the truth about 86. I like how compassionate she is and how she seems to genuinely care about them.

The action in today's episode was great, and the integration of CGI was very nicely done. I'm so used to CGI in anime being very jarring and unappealing so this was nice to see. Sawano soundtrack to accompany the action is just the icing on the cake. Really enjoying this show so far.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 17, 2021 10:53 AM
Sep 2017
Ngochuy said:

same same.

I really don't trust the uncle Jerome character xD Bet he's gonna stab Lena in the back and the real reason why Lena's dad is gone is gonna be something like the uncle betrayed him or something. Especially when she was saying how much she trusts him in this episode lol.
duftiApr 17, 2021 11:03 AM
Apr 17, 2021 10:54 AM

Oct 2020
The CGI in this show is amazing. The Undertaker is a force to be reckoned with. The osts are super well done. The discrimination and racism in this nation really are harsh. I'd like to see the show explore more about racism in the nation. I can't wait to see more of this show!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2021 10:58 AM
Jul 2019
Marinate1016 said:
It’s still surreal for me to be able to say it’s 86 Saturday. Another masterfully crafted episode. The CG legion look great. I normally hate all types of CG, but it was so well done today that it was impossible for me to hate on it. I hope that continues throughout.

Sawano and Kohta OST during the legion fight scene was AMAZING. I can’t wait for the full OST to drop, goosebumps man.

I liked the use of academy instruction to world-build, and I think the pacing overall was amazing today. Didn’t even do a full chapter, so it’s pretty safe to say we’re only getting one volume for the first cour. Confirmed to be 11 eps today.

Anddd the main event, the ED. Been waiting over a year for this and of course it didn’t disappoint. Top 5 Sawano songs for sure. We feasting boys

ehh!? really i think 2 volumes would get easily covered before watching 2nd ep i was thinking of 3 vols but pretty sure 2 can be adapted unless they add extra shit like academy scene i personally liked it too.
Apr 17, 2021 10:59 AM

Oct 2013
The CGI fights are clean as fuck. Really loving the interactions of all the 86 when they're not fighting. It really highlights how they're just kids thrust into battle
Apr 17, 2021 10:59 AM

Feb 2019
sageT_T said:
Marinate1016 said:

ehh!? really i think 2 volumes would get easily covered before watching 2nd ep i was thinking of 3 vols but pretty sure 2 can be adapted unless they add extra shit like academy scene i personally liked it too.

Your grammar kinda lost me, sorry
Apr 17, 2021 11:00 AM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
Damn I feel bad for the life of an 86
Also I probably missed this but why do they have 2 years to end the war?
Apr 17, 2021 11:03 AM
Jul 2018
Amazingly fantastic episode. I loved music, world-view, animation, dialogues, fighting scenes etc.
Especially Shin is badass MC. He is very strong in every way. Lena is cool and cute, too!
Apr 17, 2021 11:08 AM
Jul 2019
Marinate1016 said:
sageT_T said:

ohh sorry what i meant was that 2 volumes can get adapted in the 1st cour. even if they adapt one chapter per episode it can't get adapted for 11 episode cause there are like 8-9 chapter's in volume.
Apr 17, 2021 11:09 AM
Nov 2010
MoonDragon72 said:

One problem I have with this episode is that I thought it was really weird that the scene of the character's at the camp was shown after the credits when it could've been shown before. Seems like a weird choice to me.

I don't really see the problem. In fact, I've been seeing a pattern after watching the 2 episodes. You can tell the producers have been separating Lena's scenes from Shin and his crew's scenes throughout the episodes, like they want to show the different perspectives between Lena's and Shin and his crew's. Hence the ED after Lena's scene and before Shin and the crew's scene. It's a really nice take right there, I feel.
Apr 17, 2021 11:10 AM

Feb 2019
sageT_T said:
Marinate1016 said:

ohh sorry what i meant was that 2 volumes can get adapted in the 1st cour. even if they adapt one chapter per episode it can't get adapted for 11 episode cause there are like 8-9 chapter's in volume.

They’re just doing one based on the pacing rn, they’re adding anime original scenes and what not. We’ll see if that changes next week
Apr 17, 2021 11:11 AM
Apr 2019
Conceptualhero said:
I really like this episode. They can read or write at a high level since they grew up in the internment camps. Though, I think Shin was educated a bit prior to being forcibly relocated to the 86 district.

Yeah only Shin & Raiden have some basic education.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Eighty-Six: The Complete Season avalable for purchase on digital

jorel262 - 11 hours ago

2 by IhnalakoKaina »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

433 by yuyiyu »»
Today, 6:47 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2021

243 by worldsick »»
May 16, 1:34 PM

» 86 LN starts its Final Arc with the next Light Novel volume 14.

darksideee - Jan 11

32 by KitsuFrost »»
May 1, 7:13 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2021

265 by AlisandoLob »»
May 1, 9:07 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.