Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime turns into a let-down to you this season?

New
Dec 20, 2017 3:12 PM

Oct 2017
2017 Fall season is coming to an end, which show do you find that it's doesn't quite meet your expectation and abit disappointed about it?

For me it's Mahou Tsukai no Yome (Ancient Magus Bride)

I go in with quite high expectation because:
1. People have been praising it before the show even airs.
2. The art-style looks good.
3. It's from WIT studio

Now it's up to ep 11 already, and I realize how slow the show goes despite 11 ep in already, but the plot doesn't seem to go anywhere atm, aside from Chise irrational obsession with Elias, which I'm not quite convinced yet.

There're about 1 climax so far that almost going to make the show very exciting to watch. but nope, gonna retract back to soothing slice of life and more backstory.

Also minor complaint on WIT studio, hey dude, you made Attack on Titan no?
Why do I feel like this show often have static penal , and the combat scene is honestly quite mediocre?
Was so excited on one cliffhanger in one episode related to Elias , but next episode being utterly disappointed.

Maybe I should treat this show as slow burn romance instead of fantasy show so I don't get disappointed more.
So far only the atmosphere impresses me.
Ventus_SDec 20, 2017 3:16 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 20, 2017 3:13 PM

Apr 2016
Well, that would be every anime show that i dropped, this season.
Dec 20, 2017 3:17 PM

Oct 2017
Swagernator said:
Well, that would be every anime show that i dropped, this season.

Depending on when you drop.

If you drop it at first 1~3 ep, it's not a let-down cuz you literally find the show terrible to begin with.

I mean those shows you're still watching but it doesn't turn out as good as you thought it would be.
Dec 20, 2017 3:20 PM

Apr 2017
none, everything I think is bad was bad from the beginning
honestly I'm only watching half these shows because friends were nagging me to
I will win that Black Clover bet...

on a side note, Mahoutsukai no Yome is the first good anime Studio Wit has ever made
Dec 20, 2017 3:25 PM

Oct 2017
The_Missing_Link said:
none, everything I think is bad was bad from the beginning
honestly I'm only watching half these shows because friends were nagging me to
I will win that Black Clover bet...

on a side note, Mahoutsukai no Yome is the first good anime Studio Wit has ever made

Well, I only watch like 1/4 of those shows anyway cuz ik most of them will be kinda average~ bad to begin with and I have some good older series I still need to catch on with lolz..
Dec 20, 2017 3:32 PM
Jul 2016
I watched few anime this season, and all of them were mediocre/ok or good
Dec 20, 2017 3:35 PM

Oct 2017
A_porra_Dum_nome said:
I watched few anime this season, and all of them were mediocre/ok or good

You can be more specific yknow :P...
Dec 20, 2017 3:36 PM

Jul 2015
Shobitch
The female lead is a cute kuudere
But the humor and side characters are awful
Dec 20, 2017 3:38 PM

Feb 2016
I wasn't expecting the new Kino to be as good as 2003's but it turned out to be worst than i thought..

i'm 5 episodes in though
Dec 20, 2017 3:41 PM

Apr 2016
Ventus_S said:
I mean those shows you're still watching but it doesn't turn out as good as you thought it would be.

I have hope that Just Because would be something similar as Tsuki ga Kirei, but the more i watch (and read the spolers) the more i feel like Just Because would be another generic, boring, nippon-like romance teen drama.

Hell, i read the spoilers, IT will be nother generic, boring, nippon-like romance teen drama.
Dec 20, 2017 3:41 PM
Jul 2018
Sadly, Ancient Magus Bride... Watching the OVA at first(which I loved it), I'd high expectation but personally the last episode that I watched was kinda dissapointing. Still will give this more chance later on like I did before on other anime.

Another anime is kino tabi 2017 HD edition, which I don't need to explain why it was depressing to watch(compare to 2003).

^well those are my personal opinion.
Dec 20, 2017 3:43 PM

Sep 2015
3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season: first season was decent enough to be in my top 10 anime, but this new season is sometimes boring. i don't think it got worse, it's probably because i'm this far in and i'm not emotionally attached to anything happening in the show.

inuyashiki: looked to be a fine action show, but turned into a fine comedy

Kino (2017): mostly predictable, and i can't seem to find a point in each ep.

Kekkai sensen S2: despite being crazier than first season, it's very forgetable

kujira: cool setting and aesthetics, shit characters and story.

Mahou Tsukai no Yome: wish they tone down the comedy, so i can always bask in its atmosphere

Mahoujin guruguru: wish it was longer, and more adventurery :/
LaLeLuLiLoDec 20, 2017 3:54 PM
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Dec 20, 2017 3:49 PM

Jul 2017
Kino no Tabi would probably be it.

I heard that the old Kino was pretty good, but never watched the show due to it being ugly as donkey's rear end. When I noticed that there is a re-boot coming, was totally ready for it.

Sadly, this is the type of show I do not overly enjoy. The visuals were pretty good, however, the characters were not memorable and the events were not particularly captivating. Overall, as the show progressed it felt bland and even boring at times.
Suddenly, someone slaps you with a brick wall.

Dec 20, 2017 3:50 PM

Apr 2017
Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara

The first anime of the season was super great for me. Afterwards, the animation and the quality were slowly dropping and in addition of bunch characters. Unfortunately, it dragged very much. I don't get attached to the additional characters, they seemed boring. The ecchiness wasn't that good either. The story is getting off nowhere. Sadly to say, a big downhill of this season.
JerryKen10Dec 20, 2017 4:02 PM
Dec 20, 2017 3:52 PM

Apr 2017
Oh yeah, there was one disappointment

The new Kino no Tabi has had two great episodes and a few ok ones, but overall has not been very good.
Dec 20, 2017 3:54 PM

Aug 2016
This season? Kino's Journey maybe, but that kinda fell apart starting with episode 2 so I don't think it counts. Honestly I don't think anything that comes out any time soon will disappoint me as much as Kado did back in spring.
Dec 20, 2017 3:56 PM

Apr 2013
i didnt watch them, but all of them for sure
Dec 20, 2017 3:56 PM

Sep 2017
JerryKen10 said:
Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara

The first anime of the season was super great for me. Afterwards, the animation and the quality were slowly dropping and in addition of bunch characters. Unfortunately, it dragged very much. I don't get attached to the additional characters, they seemed boring. The ecchiness wasn't that good either. The story is getting off nowhere. Sadly to say, a big downhill of this season.

Agree with you mate. Season 1 still the best season of the series.
Dec 20, 2017 3:57 PM
Jul 2018
It's a magical, kinda more episodic SOL. Just bring some patience and enjoy the relatively calm and melncholic atmosphere. ^^
Dec 20, 2017 3:57 PM

Sep 2017
tragedydesu said:
Shobitch
The female lead is a cute kuudere
But the humor and side characters are awful

Had high expectations then everything went downhill.
Dec 20, 2017 3:58 PM

Jul 2017
Just Because

Like @Swagernator I also thought that it would be like Tsuki ga Kirei but after reading how the novel based on the show ended, it's already starting to be a major letdown
Dec 20, 2017 4:00 PM

Nov 2016
Swagernator said:
Ventus_S said:

I have hope that Just Because would be something similar as Tsuki ga Kirei, but the more i watch (and read the spolers) the more i feel like Just Because would be another generic, boring, nippon-like romance teen drama.

Hell, i read the spoilers, IT will be nother generic, boring, nippon-like romance teen drama.

+1 Just because is really a big letdown,I wasn't expecting it to be as good as Tsuki ga Kirei, I'm still disappointed,tho.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 20, 2017 4:01 PM

Mar 2016
Kekkai Sensen, i wanted it to be shit but its really good.

Why cant i dislike what i want?

Dec 20, 2017 4:06 PM

Jul 2013
I'll probably get a lot of hate for mentioning these 2, but whatever.

Mahoutsukai no Yome
Started off pretty damn great, but it became quite stale after 3 episodes. Not saying it's a bad show, but I'm more interested in the Elias-Chise relationship rather than all the typical fantasy things the show focuses on.

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou
What hook me to the show in the first place was how, despite the slow, unenergetic atmosphere, there's this sense of danger looming around. Like, nothing can be trusted and shit can go down at any moment. The show loses this after a few episodes, and the slow pacing plus the desaturated color really work against the show. It also didn't help that I find Yuuri pretty annoying.
JustMonakaDec 20, 2017 4:10 PM
Dec 20, 2017 4:39 PM

Oct 2017
LaLeLuLiLo said:
3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season: first season was decent enough to be in my top 10 anime, but this new season is sometimes boring. i don't think it got worse, it's probably because i'm this far in and i'm not emotionally attached to anything happening in the show.

inuyashiki: looked to be a fine action show, but turned into a fine comedy

Kino (2017): mostly predictable, and i can't seem to find a point in each ep.

Kekkai sensen S2: despite being crazier than first season, it's very forgetable

kujira: cool setting and aesthetics, shit characters and story.

Mahou Tsukai no Yome: wish they tone down the comedy, so i can always bask in its atmosphere

Kekkai Sensai this season seems to be character arc which reintroduce each characters in a more indepth way.

But I do agree this pattern becomes very predictable and less fun to watch compare to 1st season which everything is fresh. Also all the villains this season is forgettable, which is kinda bad for a feels-good show like Kekkai Sensen.

Have mix feeling to Kino's Journey.
Love some episodes alot, like ep1, ep3, ep 10, but some episodes feel pointless to me..
Ventus_SDec 20, 2017 4:47 PM
Dec 20, 2017 4:42 PM

Oct 2015
I need to have expectations to be disappointed which I don't have any whenever a new season arrives.

I'm disappointmented however, still no GioGio.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Dec 20, 2017 4:51 PM
Jul 2018
Most anime every season disappoint me, but Magus Bride and Girls' Last Tour especially dissapointed me.

Ancient Magus's Bride:

It's like the creator watched a couple of great fantasy anime like Spirited Away, and only managed to replicate a small portion of what made those fantasy anime great. The:

-Story goes nowhere.
-Sidestories are boring.
-Big "so magical" moments feel forced and tacked on, because they leave no impact, and are forgotten by the next episode
-Characters are incredibly basic and cliche. I don't care about character development, if that development isn't even interesting.
-Art feels like a generic copy of a million other interesting fantasy anime. Seriously, compared to Berserk or Mushishi, this anime looks like shit. The art has no personality.

And holy shit, the inner monologues...
Why does a fantasy anime like this, need to have so many goddamn emo inner monologues?
Wouldn't it be far more impactful of Chise's thoughts and emotions were implied in her expressions and actions? It would make her a million times more interesting.

Girls' Last Tour

-For an anime that seems to be going for atmosphere, there is too much damn dialogue
-The characters' personalities are gimmicky and plain, clashing with the setting.
-90% of the whole anime is completely dark, so a point where you can barely even see anything. There is no interesting use of color pallete, or shading.
-The dialogue itself is repetitive.
-It would be much better if there was a little bit more tension.
Dec 20, 2017 5:58 PM

Nov 2011
Evil or Live. I guess I didn't have that high of expectations going in- but the plot at least sounded interesting and I was excited to watch it. It ended up either boring me or making me angry depending on the episode.

Dec 20, 2017 6:31 PM

Apr 2016
LaLeLuLiLo said:

Literally just the previous iteration of the show when it was made in the 90s. Twice as long, so it has more plotline. Never seen it so I can't say for sure if it was good. Just throwing it out there that your comment actually has a solution.

Sometimes you just gotta realize that you can't watch every
anime you want to. The struggle is far too real for that.
Dec 20, 2017 6:34 PM

Sep 2009
All of them I guess? This season is pretty pathetic. Except for Houseki.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 20, 2017 6:37 PM

Sep 2015
bear_minimum said:
LaLeLuLiLo said:

Literally just the previous iteration of the show when it was made in the 90s. Twice as long, so it has more plotline. Never seen it so I can't say for sure if it was good. Just throwing it out there that your comment actually has a solution.

already watched it, and its second season as well. i like them more, but they never gave it an end.
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Dec 20, 2017 6:41 PM

Jan 2017
Juuni Taisen has good animation in the first two episode, i think there will be some detailed fight scene in it. But you'll see why it's very disappointing on further episode.
Dec 20, 2017 6:44 PM
Oct 2017
like others on this forum, i drop series if i can’t get into it after one ep or two, so not too many letdowns. for all the rage for magician’s bride and kino, just not my type of show.

the holiday spirit makes me want to go off topic and talk about two shows that i was skeptical to start and ended up enjoying:

1) Juni taisen: slick animation battle royal, i was also surprised to see rabbit cosplay at a recent con (really good one too!) the character side stories were interesting, some better than others.
2) black clover : despite all the initial outrage from many viewers, i found it quite fun after ep 3 or 4. i also enjoy the manga (started reading a bit to compare with anime).
Dec 20, 2017 6:51 PM

Oct 2017
MortalMelancholy said:
All of them I guess? This season is pretty pathetic. Except for Houseki.

+1 Houseki no Kuni being the anime of this season for me too.
Dec 21, 2017 4:43 AM

Jan 2010
Juuni Taisen because spoiled death order and my favorite character is the only character didn't get a back story
Dec 21, 2017 6:35 AM
Aug 2016
Inuyashiki lured me in with a decent concept only to spit in my face with its actual content.
Dec 21, 2017 7:03 AM
Jul 2018
Black Clover, read the manga, which gets me hyped up. But the anime is meh. I'll keep watching though. I'm hopeful that it will get back to its pace.
Dec 21, 2017 7:22 AM

Mar 2016
I haven't seen their anime but I've already read their manga before they got an anime adaptation

Inuyashiki - death note style cyborg bullshit

Imouto sae Ireba Ii. - little sister syndrome, par on eromanga sensei, disturbing shit.

UQ Holder!: Mahou Sensei Negima! 2 - exceptional concept of immortality, failed in executing cliche tropes

Boku no Kanojo ga Majimesugiru Sho-bitch na Ken - boring dirty jokes

Dec 21, 2017 10:17 AM

Apr 2016
LaLeLuLiLo said:
bear_minimum said:

already watched it, and its second season as well. i like them more, but they never gave it an end.

That's a shame considering how many episodes there are. I have considered watching the old version and you say you liked them more. Maybe one of these days...

Sometimes you just gotta realize that you can't watch every
anime you want to. The struggle is far too real for that.
Dec 21, 2017 10:22 AM
Jan 2017
Juni Taisen:look badass, but the fights are just people dying by letting their guard down, which is lame and they give exposition dump on the character instead of the audience actually caring about them

Ancient Magus Bride:Is alright, but does move a bit too slow and the character are not that interesting and quite boring at times.

Uq Holder:bad adapdation of a manga I love.
Dec 21, 2017 10:30 AM

Sep 2014
lol Now people are comparing MnY with SnK.

Isn't most complains on this thread about what show took a different genre than what you would have preferred?
Dec 21, 2017 10:33 AM

Sep 2016
Shobitch is just an absolute disappointment. I mean, the premise itself should be on par with Seitokai Yakuindomo but the execution....is a double bogey.

Net-juu No Susume has that 'it's going to be a great show' vibe. Everything about the show was close to on point but the ending was really unsatisfying.

On the opposite, I really enjoyed Blend S and Imouto Sae Ireba Ii, although I almost dropped the latter after episode 4.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2017 10:34 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Juuni Taisen - It's a Nisio Isin work so it should be good. Nope, turned out to be one of the least entertaining survival game anime I've seen.
Just Because - More like just a little too boring.

"πšƒπš’πš–πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš–πš’πš‘ πšπš›πš’πš—πš”πšœ πšŠπš—πš πšŒπš‘πšŠπš—πšπšŽ πš•πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ."
β˜† π™°πš—πš’πš–πšŽ π™»πš’πšœπš β˜†
β˜† πš…π™½π™³πš‹ β˜†
β˜† π™±πšŠπšŒπš”πš•πš˜πšπšπšŽπš›πš’ β˜†
Dec 21, 2017 10:57 AM

Nov 2013
Hrybami said:

Isn't most complains on this thread about what show took a different genre than what you would have preferred?

Well, someone even compared it to Berserk, so that's that.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Dec 21, 2017 11:06 AM

Oct 2017
jgames111 said:
Juni Taisen:look badass, but the fights are just people dying by letting their guard down, which is lame and they give exposition dump on the character instead of the audience actually caring about them

Ancient Magus Bride:Is alright, but does move a bit too slow and the character are not that interesting and quite boring at times.

Uq Holder:bad adapdation of a manga I love.

UQ Holder is not a disappointment to me cuz I'm disappointed way back when they change the EP3 entirely and add in some bs CG monsters. So I'm like disappointed way before it actually get to the worst part lolz..
Dec 21, 2017 11:09 AM

Sep 2014
TheBigGuy said:
Hrybami said:

Nani the fuck!? That's hilarious. One of the funniest thing on MAL are people comparing two totally different show together with all their honesty. This remind me of this thread: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1363060
Dec 21, 2017 11:43 AM

May 2017
Inuyashiki. Sticking anti-American politics at the VERY end suited WHAT purpose? Completely ruined the anime for all time.
Dec 21, 2017 11:45 AM

Nov 2013
Hrybami said:
TheBigGuy said:

Nani the fuck!? That's hilarious. One of the funniest thing on MAL are people comparing two totally different show together with all their honesty. This remind me of this thread: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1363060

Yes, it is.

I see. That's quite a stretch too.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Dec 21, 2017 11:55 AM
Jul 2018
Inuyashiki is sort of a let-down for me.

removed-userDec 21, 2017 11:58 AM
Dec 21, 2017 12:21 PM

Jun 2016
Mahou Tsukai no Yome for sure, i loved the ovas so i was looking forward to see the anime but besides the animation i feel bored when i watch it. I have just seen 3 episodes though, i might continue it later~
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Who are your favorite canon couples? (Beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Mar 30

42 by pludel2 »»
4 minutes ago

» Why do you think about Orihime from Bleach?

isolated-otaku - 11 hours ago

24 by Kruszer »»
5 minutes ago

» Who here has a more Unconventional first ever anime?

TheBlockernator - 7 hours ago

28 by TsutanaiFuun »»
15 minutes ago

» Recommendations of Disappointment ( 1 2 )

JaaShooUhh - Jun 12

63 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
26 minutes ago

» your most favorited favorite character vs. your least favorited favorite character ( 1 2 3 )

bucciest - Oct 26, 2022

118 by Zakception »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.