Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 16, 2017 4:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I almost forgot how awesome Cinnabar is in this sereis.

Really liked the amount of human-like expressions poured into this episode. Even with Phos' change, it's still the same character. On the other hand, this episode felt more like a buildup towards the finale.

Action was cool for the first half and it's nice to see that there's hope in their world. The design of that long red haired character is quite something.
Stark700Dec 16, 2017 5:31 AM
Dec 16, 2017 7:46 AM
Jun 2011
is that phos battle cinnabar in the next episode preview
Dec 16, 2017 9:10 AM
Apr 2017
I don't actually understand this ep... few transition was done so suddenly or maybe Im just tired... Rewatching tomorrow

One thing for sure, Phos doesn't believe the Sensei unconditionally anymore, which I think is a good thing.

But with only one episode left, I don't see it would be able to resolve... Just hope it would get season 2
Dec 16, 2017 11:10 AM
Aug 2017
Sweet Padparadscha!! Didnt think they would actually appear here
Dec 16, 2017 12:23 PM

Jun 2015
It seems Sensei has a connection to the Lunarians. He called that thing Shiro. Phos is starting to feel he's hiding something from them because he's so secretive. Everyone else knew about his relation to the Lunarians, but not her. They all just choose to trust him.
Dec 16, 2017 12:27 PM

Feb 2015
Moon puppies are so cute~
Even after they combined again and died for good Red Beryl made toy copies, I would love to have one.

It was also nice to see Padparadscha.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Dec 16, 2017 12:33 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The shots this episode were so damn cool. Loved the dream sequences Phos had, she's terrified with this.

Shiro's sendoff was very emotional, just wants peace and Sensei gave him that. We know now that the gems basically know already about his relation to the Lunarians, just not why and what made this happen. Only Phos doesn't know.

The comedy was super funny here xD
Dec 16, 2017 12:47 PM
Dec 2015
Hakaminah said:
I would love to have one.

Here you go
http://store.natalie.mu/html/page170.html

Really liked how they adapted the Antarcticite scene.
I can't wait for next week. Hopefully they decide to end the anime with chapter 31.
Dec 16, 2017 12:50 PM

Oct 2016
I lose my shit hearing Kotomine Kirei's VA go "Fu-wa Fu-wa"
One sec, I'm going back to listen one more time.
Dec 16, 2017 12:56 PM
Jul 2016
I loved this episode. Things are getting interesting now that Phos has decided that she will ask the lunarians herself, about their relationship with Sensei XD Shiro was really cute in the end, and I wonder if he died. Is Sensei sending them to the afterlife or something like this?? Or, are the lunarians already ghosts, kind of suffering souls?
Ah, and red Alexandrite was such a surprise, haha!! I thought that they had drawn her quite boring ...but it was because of this. For a gem that changes color depending on the type of light that it receives, it is such a clever translation to the world of HNK that she would change when she sees the lunarians.
Also, so much suspense about Padparadscha. I'm dying of curiosity to see what she knows and what she can do.
Dec 16, 2017 12:59 PM

Jul 2008
Apsidelos said:
Hakaminah said:

Here you go
http://store.natalie.mu/html/page170.html.

*cries* if only I could read the site, those are so adorable.;_;
Dec 16, 2017 12:59 PM

Jun 2008
We need more Cinnabar. They are an absolutely intriguing character.

I can't blame Phos for wanting to know the truth. Nothing is sitting right and lots of gems have passed away from Lunarians. I hope Phos is safe though...going to ask a Lunarian is reckless, but it is probably better to not involve the sensei in this at all.

Padparadscha's hair is so long. I wonder why they didn't take some of the hair to fill in the holes.
Dec 16, 2017 1:00 PM

Oct 2014
Such a funny episode. I'm glad that the giant Lunarian turned out to be a dog, but Sensei's dog...? That threw me off a bit, I wasn't expecting Sensei to have connections to the Lunarians. This episode felt a bit like Nier;Automata in how the enemies are cute and the moral uncertainty.

Phos finally said that they're going to the moon!! I just want them to get Antartcite back, but they need to find out what Sensei's connection is to the Lunarians before they fully trust him.
Dec 16, 2017 1:01 PM

Aug 2013
Man the mystery deepens, we get a new character, shit's about to go down and we only have one episode left...who's bright idea was it to give this series only 12 episodes without word of a season 2 or something? I don't want to think of this 'gem' (badumtiss) coming to an end. Most def picking up the manga.
Don't believe the hype.
Dec 16, 2017 1:04 PM
Aug 2017
goddang was Shiro and Sensei's moment a tearjerker when the poor pup had found peace after being reunited with him ;__;.

and oh my god Padpa!! he is as gorgeous as I had hoped he'd be ;____;!!! im still so glad he's being voiced by romi park too lol.
Dec 16, 2017 1:20 PM

Dec 2016
Man this was quite a complex episode. We got the beginning of Phos' questioning and thoughts on Sensei, we learned a slight bit of information about Sensei, and now it seems Phos is going to get captured by Lunarians on purpose to ask them about Sensei up on the moon. I just hope Phos can get to the moon in literally one piece lol

Also it seems we have a new gem fighter to meet!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 16, 2017 1:23 PM
Jun 2011
RebelPanda said:
Such a funny episode. I'm glad that the giant Lunarian turned out to be a dog, but Sensei's dog...? That threw me off a bit, I wasn't expecting Sensei to have connections to the Lunarians. This episode felt a bit like Nier;Automata in how the enemies are cute and the moral uncertainty.

Phos finally said that they're going to the moon!! I just want them to get Antartcite back, but they need to find out what Sensei's connection is to the Lunarians before they fully trust him.
lets hope they will give season 2 annoucment at the end of the final episode
Dec 16, 2017 1:29 PM

Nov 2014
The feelings of wanting to know the precious answer for a suffocating question really pain our lives. As it for Phos, explode her body, spilled the gold.

How the Sensei avoided her question with a feign sleep really annoyed me.
Dec 16, 2017 1:43 PM

Dec 2016
That was rather surprising seeing that Lunarian become harmless puppies, and then Sensei making it dog like obedient.

That was funny watching Alex's other personality.

It's only natural that Sensei knows more about the Lunarians than anyone else, who knows just how long he has been around for.

Even Antarcticite doesn't want Phos to get involved, maybe it's one of those situations where it's better off not knowing, just fight them instead.

So it died then when it found peace?

Bort was very well praised by Phos, Bort does seem to be the best fighter from what I have seen so far this series.

Quite the name Padparadscha, needed to google search it, it's a type of Sapphire. It awoke though.

More Phos & Cinnabar interactions next time.
Dec 16, 2017 1:45 PM

Apr 2016
The most hilarious episode :
_ the micro-dog strategy
_ paralyzed borft
_ heartless Rutile
_ dead alex
_ "play-ball" Phos
_ the monster turning into a good dog
_ shamelessly lying Sensei
_ Rutile making fun of Phos
_ Dia being Dia (and almost Akari)
Dec 16, 2017 1:57 PM

Feb 2017
Is it possible that Sensei might be some kind of a human or something similar? According to that slug/jellyfish, whose name I have forgotten, Lunarians aim to become human again. Sensei is the oldest of them, clearly looks different from other Gems, he looks like "male" while others all look "female" and I don't remember we ever saw him cracking. Few episodes ago Lunarians looked like they were 'worshiping' him and he clearly has some connection with this Shiro. He was surprised/scared when Phos mentioned humans. Also, when he was changing clothes he was hiding behind curtain or something so Phos doesn't see him. Why would he hide if they are all the same and genderless?
Dec 16, 2017 2:17 PM
Nov 2017
Tsarko said:
Is it possible that Sensei might be some kind of a human or something similar?
Doubt he's literally human.

Maybe some kind of android, but almost certainly not a literal human.
Dec 16, 2017 2:49 PM

Jan 2013
Didn't expect that thing to be a dog lol the little ones were so cute! I loved when everyone fell asleep in his tail... "The fluffiness is so inviting" indeed.

I kinda feel bad for Phos. After Cinnabar told him that everyone "knew" that Sensei is connected somehow to the Lunarians, he seemed... betrayed? - for the lack of other word - for being the only one not knowing... Also, I want more Cinnabar :c
Dec 16, 2017 2:53 PM

Nov 2014
Judging from the preview and the next episode's title, they're most likely going to adapt the first half of chapter of the same name ahead of everything else. That makes sense, otherwise we're just gonna end up in a very awkward situation
It wouldn't feel like it's the end of a season if that happened.

Anyways, it's nice to see Padparadscha. His hair is even more fabulous in 3d anime form! <3
Dec 16, 2017 3:13 PM
Mar 2017
CAN THE Lunarians attack the gems not for their beauty, but for the purification of the soul to work again?

Like the story that told "Reyna Ventricles"
(the slug) are the flesh, the lunarians the soul and the gems the bone.
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Dec 16, 2017 3:17 PM

Feb 2015
@FireCrauter
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Dec 16, 2017 3:19 PM
Jun 2011
VarunaBles said:
Judging from the preview and the next episode's title, they're most likely going to adapt the first half of chapter of the same name ahead of everything else. That makes sense, otherwise we're just gonna end up in a very awkward situation
It wouldn't feel like it's the end of a season if that happened.

Anyways, it's nice to see Padparadscha. His hair is even more fabulous in 3d anime form! <3
last time we were thinking like this which was in the shiro chapter it didn't turned out to be the same future chapter which was based on the title
Dec 16, 2017 3:22 PM
Mar 2017
Hakaminah said:
@FireCrauter

The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Dec 16, 2017 3:55 PM

Nov 2014
elior1 said:
last time we were thinking like this which was in the shiro chapter it didn't turned out to be the same future chapter which was based on the title

Lol, if they don't do that chapter then we're going to end in a rather anti-climactic part. The alternative is.........anime original content which is almost always not good.
Dec 16, 2017 4:12 PM
Dec 2015
VarunaBles said:
elior1 said:

Lol, if they don't do that chapter then we're going to end in a rather anti-climactic part. The alternative is.........anime original content which is almost always not good.

It seems like you are forgetting about chapter 31. Which is the chapter when...
Dec 16, 2017 4:24 PM

Nov 2014
Apsidelos said:

I was avoiding that because that's more of a troll cliffhanger however, that is a possibility. A lot needs to be cut out, though, as you said. And THEN "New Job" has to be added.
Dec 16, 2017 4:32 PM
Oct 2017
VarunaBles said:
elior1 said:

VarunaBles said:
Apsidelos said:

I was avoiding that because that's more of a troll cliffhanger however, that is a possibility. A lot needs to be cut out, though, as you said. And THEN "New Job" has to be added.

The title of the next episode is "New Job", it is very likely that they will end with the first part of chapter 36. Rather than fighting, it looks more like Phos was chasing Cinnabar.
Dec 16, 2017 5:23 PM

Jun 2015
Probably the weakest episode, I like puppies and Phos's doubt in sensei, but it doesn't convince me. One episode to the end, it is hard to believe that they give a decent conclusion.
Dec 16, 2017 5:46 PM

Jan 2013
Apsidelos said:
Hakaminah said:

Here you go

I believe they're small bags/purses. Did not expect for the items to go in from their pink behind, lol. I love the gems around the plushies.

bomi said:
I kinda feel bad for Phos. After Cinnabar told him that everyone "knew" that Sensei is connected somehow to the Lunarians, he seemed... betrayed? - for the lack of other word - for being the only one not knowing...

Phos has lost so many parts of himself. I feel it's possible he used to know or suspect but forgot.
Dec 16, 2017 6:08 PM
Oct 2017
ALOC said:
Probably the weakest episode, I like puppies and Phos's doubt in sensei, but it doesn't convince me. One episode to the end, it is hard to believe that they give a decent conclusion.

It's from an on-going manga, why do they need to give a conclusion?

Mica-Chan10 said:

Phos has lost so many parts of himself. I feel it's possible he used to know or suspect but forgot.

Phos is the youngest gems. Also, Cinnabar implied that they don't really talk about it.
NielloDec 16, 2017 6:13 PM
Dec 16, 2017 6:21 PM
Jun 2017
Mica-Chan10 said:
Apsidelos said:

Here you go

I believe they're small bags/purses. Did not expect for the items to go in from their pink behind, lol. I love the gems around the plushies.

The small ones are key-chain pouches, the bigger ones are regular plushies.
Dec 16, 2017 6:36 PM

Nov 2008
This episode has finally convinced me - I want to follow the manga now. So for the first time in 3 or 4 years I went ahead and placed an order with CD Japan for the January 2018 issue of Afternoon magazine. I should get it around New Years. I'm also curious about what other stories are currently being published in Afternoon in addition to "Houseki".
Dec 16, 2017 6:51 PM

Dec 2015
Why this have to end next week, the manga is still going on far .
Dec 16, 2017 8:46 PM

Jun 2015
Niello said:

Although the story continues in the manga, it's necessary that the anime has a satisfactory closure or at least a partial conclusion. The anime needs to be a product in itself, depending on the manga to give a conclusion is wrong.

For example in Hunter X Hunter (2011) the manga continues, but the last episode of the anime closes that adventure quite well. Other example of animes with manga o novel that continue are Genshiken, Beck, Gunslinger Girl, Baccano, Kaiji, Usagi Drop, Hyoukka, Chuunibyou, Prison School, etc
Dec 16, 2017 9:32 PM
Nov 2017
ALOC said:
Although the story continues in the manga, it's necessary that the anime has a satisfactory closure or at least a partial conclusion.
That isn't necessarily true, if at the end of ep 12 they announce S2 for the spring season, I doubt anyone will complain.
Dec 16, 2017 10:18 PM

Jan 2014
I'm so glad this show broke into the score of 8.00+ and is still rising. It's really unique, I love it. Phos's trust has been broken, which is an eye opening experience for her and the viewer (or at least it should be, because you shouldn't blindly trust anyone). I'm really hoping for a Season 2.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 16, 2017 10:23 PM

Jan 2014
ALOC said:
Niello said:

Although the story continues in the manga, it's necessary that the anime has a satisfactory closure or at least a partial conclusion. The anime needs to be a product in itself, depending on the manga to give a conclusion is wrong.

For example in Hunter X Hunter (2011) the manga continues, but the last episode of the anime closes that adventure quite well. Other example of animes with manga o novel that continue are Genshiken, Beck, Gunslinger Girl, Baccano, Kaiji, Usagi Drop, Hyoukka, Chuunibyou, Prison School, etc

With the introduction of that new character at the very end, I seriously doubt they will give it an ending next week. It just seems abrupt after that. I'm gonna predict a Season 2. Judging by Japan's Fall 2017 rankings, the show seems to be popular. Although, those were early or mid rankings (like a month ago). I don't know if there are rankings after the season finishes airing.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 17, 2017 12:10 AM

Jun 2015
Areku2021 said:
That isn't necessarily true, if at the end of ep 12 they announce S2 for the spring season, I doubt anyone will complain.

Zelev said:

With the introduction of that new character at the very end, I seriously doubt they will give it an ending next week. It just seems abrupt after that. I'm gonna predict a Season 2. Judging by Japan's Fall 2017 rankings, the show seems to be popular. Although, those were early or mid rankings (like a month ago). I don't know if there are rankings after the season finishes airing.

Well, a second season is the best scenario for HnK, itss clear that has a lot of history to show.
But I always put myself in the case that the anime won't have second season because you can't predict if the series will be success and I think the ideal is to have a clear idea of that will be produce from the beginning.
If you have 12 episodes of limit, you must fit the message inside them even if it's only a sub-plot, your series should have a clear start and end and in a second season should expand what has been shown.
For example Yuri on Ice is saved for a second season to confirm any relationship that is obvious to the spectators and that is bad because it leaves pending the conclusion of the story.
Dec 17, 2017 1:25 AM
Oct 2017
ALOC said:
Niello said:

But if it gets a second season I don't see the point? And to your post above, Yuri on Ice is an anime original, they didn't even plan for a second season before the show blew up.
Houseki no Kuni is an on going story. It doesn't make sense to force the thread to come together when it's not ready. What's even the point of trying to do that and risk the flow if the second season comes out? It's a needless limitation that doesn't dot he show any good. Even if you look at western series that's not necessarily a thing. No one's complaining that Game of Thrones left on a cliff hanger each season do they? It makes way more sense to view it as a part 1.
NielloDec 17, 2017 1:47 AM
Dec 17, 2017 3:16 AM

Jul 2017
ALOC said:

The problem with this manga is that it seems everything has been planned by the author in the beginning, and everything is happening continuously. At this point in the anime, there's literally no way to end it satisfyingly.
On the other hand, if they plan to try to end everything satisfyingly from the start, it would do a disservice to the manga since as I said before, everything has been planned by the author. If the anime staffs want it to end satisfyingly, they would have to skip a lot of parts and foreshadows. As of now, nothing has been cut from the manga.
Dec 17, 2017 3:55 AM
Aug 2017
Tsarko said:
Is it possible that Sensei might be some kind of a human or something similar? According to that slug/jellyfish, whose name I have forgotten, Lunarians aim to become human again. Sensei is the oldest of them, clearly looks different from other Gems, he looks like "male" while others all look "female" and I don't remember we ever saw him cracking. Few episodes ago Lunarians looked like they were 'worshiping' him and he clearly has some connection with this Shiro. He was surprised/scared when Phos mentioned humans. Also, when he was changing clothes he was hiding behind curtain or something so Phos doesn't see him. Why would he hide if they are all the same and genderless?
Areku2021 said:
Tsarko said:
Is it possible that Sensei might be some kind of a human or something similar?
Doubt he's literally human.

Maybe some kind of android, but almost certainly not a literal human.

Not human or android. He can crack but he is the hardest one so we don't see that often. He is basically still the same as other gems since he sleeps when sunlight is weak too.
Dec 17, 2017 4:45 AM

Feb 2011
ALOC said:

Agree the anime has to have a proper ending. While with other shounens it's easier to have a clear cut, since they are organized by story arcs, with this one it could be harder to have an as good ending, but we'll see.

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Dec 17, 2017 5:03 AM

Jan 2013
Mica-Chan10 said:
bomi said:
I kinda feel bad for Phos. After Cinnabar told him that everyone "knew" that Sensei is connected somehow to the Lunarians, he seemed... betrayed? - for the lack of other word - for being the only one not knowing...

Yeah, I thought that too, but I discarded that because of the personality he had before starting to lose memories (he seemed pretty naive). Besides, the talk with Cinnabar gave me the impression Phos was the only one not knowing before and after, but I guess we'll never know for sure.
Dec 17, 2017 5:31 AM

Nov 2011
Fabulous episode! Today I'm in a hurry, I can not write anything else.

P.S. The character of Padparadscha is interesting
Dec 17, 2017 5:34 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Dia really gave it her all in this battle. Red Alex sure is powerful though but that was a good teamup between Phos and Alex though. Though the luna's respawning as dogs was cute as was the way the gems reacted when they saw them. But man thats a lot of dogs that the lunarians spit into though. Putting them into one place was a bad idea after all. But man the beasts reaction to seeing the master was completely unexpected. It seems that Sensei knows the secrets between the Lunarians and the gems after all. Funny how all the gems decide to sleep in the fur though. An interesting episode that introduced some real interesting questions regarding the relationship between the master and the Lunarians.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Will Houseki no kuni ever get a season 2

Naka74 - Dec 21, 2022

22 by aramis03 »»
Yesterday, 2:32 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2017

108 by DigiCat »»
Jun 15, 8:31 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

172 by sc0ff »»
Jun 5, 11:53 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

317 by ShadowkillZ »»
Jun 2, 5:38 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2017

211 by Lucas_Gomes7914 »»
May 22, 7:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.