Forum Settings
Forums

Does your taste in Anime change as you grow older?

New
Feb 11, 2017 6:54 PM

Oct 2016
Hi guys,

I know that kids would change their preference once they go through puberty but I'm not talking about that. It's about early 20s young adults that love harem and cliche stuffs and as they grow older maybe mid-20s, suddenly they switch to Slice of Life and Animes that contains family-oriented genre or something like upraising a kid.

For example. I was a huge fan of fanservice and harem in my early 20s and now, as I grow older.. (26 atm), I became more aware and lean towards genre like Usagi Drop (funny that I'm now trying to find similar mangas to read, wherein I'm not really a fan of manga).

I'm probably worried that once I hit 30, my preference might change again and I wouldn't be able to find any show that suits it.

Did you also experience it yourself? Or was it reverse?

γ€Œ I was nothing until the moment I met you. 」

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 11, 2017 6:59 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
_xDane_ said:

For example. I was a huge fan of fanservice and harem in my early 20s and now, as I grow older.. (26 atm), I became more aware and lean towards genre like Usagi Drop (funny that I'm now trying to find similar mangas to read, wherein I'm not really a fan of manga).

this word killed it :/

im 27 and im a huge fan of fanservice, harem, moe and loli , what you tryna say? >.>

anyway, no, i always liked the female characters the most therefore has always gravitated towards female oriented anime
Feb 11, 2017 7:00 PM

Jul 2016
It's not that my tastes in anime changes as I grow older. It's just that I prefer to watch a certain something depending on my mood. I sometimes prefer psychologicals, romances, slice of lifes, shonen, and etc. I don't usually care tho, as long as the story is good or if it's entertaining.
Feb 11, 2017 7:10 PM

Sep 2009
My tastes haven't changed. I still like the anime I liked back when I started, I think, I don't rewatch much. The taste may have refined over time as I find new genres, sub-genres and types of anime I enjoy.
Feb 11, 2017 7:12 PM

Mar 2016
I still enjoy non-harem battle shounen. For battle harem, I never like it in the first place.
So, no. My taste didn't changed.
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Feb 11, 2017 7:12 PM

Apr 2014
for me the types i watch changed
right now i cant get enough of older shounens :]
Feb 11, 2017 7:15 PM

Jul 2008
I pretty much lost interest in anime entirely, if that counts as a change in taste.
Feb 11, 2017 7:17 PM

Feb 2010
I already didn't like ecchi in my early 20s. Back then I was mostly into darker, psychological stuff, or 'battle seinen'. Cool, fast-paced shows with adult characters, action, maybe mystery and sci-fi aspects etc... I still enjoy those shows but my taste has broadened to include almost everything. Romance, shoujo, slice of life, cute girl shows, everything moe, classics from the 70s-90s, cheesy old OVAs, experimental shorts, rom-coms, some kids shows etc...
The only genres I somewhat avoid are ecchi, harem, yaoi and mahou shoujo. It used to be more.
But some things also don't change. Even before my early 20s I loved battle shounen and sports anime - the longer the better. That still holds true 15 years later and those are two of my favorite genres.

So in my experience growing up is not about making a 180 and getting completely different taste but more about growing more curious and willing to try out and appreciate new things outside of your initial comfort zone. But it probably depends on the individual. I definitely have specific shows that I appreciate much less than I did 7 or 10 years ago, but the type of show I used to like, I still like. I just care about different aspects in them.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 11, 2017 7:29 PM

Mar 2016
If anything I've broadened my horizons. I love the anime I used to like but I can find appeal in a lot more intellectual or social anime that would have bored me before.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Feb 11, 2017 7:33 PM
Mar 2015
For me it's less "my tastes changed" and more "my standards grew". I started on shounens like Naruto and harems like Highschool DxD.
I initially regarded them as the greatest anime ever. Mostly because they were the only ones I had seen. Nowadays, I'll watch any genre but it has to do something to catch my eye. For example, I seem to have fallen away from the harem genre.
In reality, I watch fewer harems simply because they are of a lower quality than previous ones I've seen. Furthermore, because the harem and shounen genres are so super saturated, most of my recent watches have been seinen and slice of life.
Feb 11, 2017 7:36 PM
Jul 2018
Isn't seinen anime made for those aged people viewer?
Feb 11, 2017 7:46 PM

Feb 2010
SkyDrop said:
Isn't seinen anime made for those aged people viewer?

that's for like young adults. Sadly there's no 'Ossan' demographic in anime.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 11, 2017 8:01 PM
Jul 2018
That pretty much happened to me.

I used to be a fan of more "serious" anime, now I prefer anything with endearing characters. Mostly Slice-of-Life.
Feb 11, 2017 8:03 PM

Jan 2015
Yeah. I used to think that Date A Live and Highschool DxD were good.
Feb 11, 2017 8:07 PM

Jun 2014
Nope. I was 6 and enjoyed kids anime and now I am 24 and still really do.
Feb 11, 2017 8:10 PM

Feb 2015
Is it just me or I hate CGDCT now?

They suck hard... 2deep5me!!!!!!
Feb 11, 2017 8:13 PM

Oct 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:
_xDane_ said:

im 27 and im a huge fan of fanservice, harem, moe and loli , what you tryna say? >.>

Haha sorry.. I wasn't trying to invoke something with those words. I was just referring to myself wherein my taste gradually changed to something I would not even consider when I was younger.

I guess it's true that your mood would affect the genres you prefer, maybe that's what happening to me right now. I see my friends getting married and having kids and I'm here watching Animes and playing games lol.

Feb 11, 2017 8:19 PM

Jun 2014
_xDane_ said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

Haha sorry.. I wasn't trying to invoke something with those words. I was just referring to myself wherein my taste gradually changed to something I would not even consider when I was younger.

I guess it's true that your mood would affect the genres you prefer, maybe that's what happening to me right now. I see my friends getting married and having kids and I'm here watching Animes and playing games lol.
Not to butt in, but I think we as fans are very blessed. People you know might be married and at times it feels like anime is consuming our lives, but are you happy? A lot of people would kill to find a hobby they enjoy so much to invest this much time in. I wake up everyday happy and am living the life I want to live and that is all that matters!
KagamiFeb 11, 2017 8:23 PM
Feb 11, 2017 8:21 PM

Jul 2012
Reverse is probably inaccurate but it hasn't changed at all. I'm watching and loving pretty much the exact same genres of shows I did as an 8 year old now that I'm 22.
Really the only difference was not all genres were available on TV at that age so I've branched out notably more once I was around 16 or 17 when I started streaming. But I still favor generally the same type of shows and no genres have really diminished for me in terms of focus.
Feb 11, 2017 8:29 PM

Oct 2016
Kagami said:
_xDane_ said:

Not to butt in, but I think we as fans are very blessed. They might be married and at times it feels like anime is consuming our lives, but are you happy? A lot of people would kill to find a hobby they enjoy so much to invest this much time in. I wake up everyday happy and am living the life I want to live and that is all that matters!

No worries I really appreciate it. It's just sometimes, I tend to forgot that I started to watch Anime because I love/enjoy it and not because I have nothing better else to do.

Thanks for reminding me :)

Now, it's starting to feel that I'm yearning for Animes that would try to teach me something that I may experience some time soon.

Feb 11, 2017 8:35 PM
Jan 2017
Taste doesn't necissarily change as you grow older, but more as you see new mediums of storytelling. When I started watching anime with Attack on Titan I was 13 years old, I saw anime as more of an escape, and imagined myself as the protagonist. I also liked edgy shows like Sword Art Online, Tokyo Ghoul, and Akame ga Kill. Over the summer of 2016 however, only a few months after I started watching anime, I had a major change in mindset. After seeing Fullmetal Alchemist, I started seeing the protagonists as people to learn about, rather than a pair of eyes to see the world through. Before that, I would never have dreamed of watching something like Hunter x Hunter, with a protagonist who is the farthest from being someone you wish you were, and is more of someone you care about and wish to support, and that is why Hunter x Hunter is now my favorite anime. I still like Attack on Titan, but sao and agk are a lot less appealing. Also, I've grown a taste for western cartoons, especially ones aimed primarily at children. I now see anime as purely a story. Just like any other medium. When I watch anime, it's to see the characters face their challanges and learn from them, allowing me to learn from them as well. Also, I've expanded past battle anime and into slice of life anime as well, my gateway being One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100, which have considerable sol elements in them. In short, tastes are always changing. Age is irrelevant, and what is relevant is what you've seen before. You probably are just burnt out on fanservicey anime, and you may get back to it after seeing a really good one come out. Never be afraid of your tastes changing, as forgetting what you used to love isn't that bad, as long as you continue to find new things that you love. I suggest taking a break from anime for a month or two and try and watch a bunch of western cartoons. Some good ones to try are Steven Universe, Adventure Time, and Avatar: The Last Airbender if you want action, Gravity Falls and Over the Garden Wall if you want mystery, and The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack if you want comedy.
Edit: forgot to mention, after you've seen a bunch of cartoons, you probably will feel rejuvinated for anime again. This may not work for you, but it's what worked for me when I started to get tired of the anime genres I liked. You may also want to try live action films and tv series if you don't want to watch cartoons.
Feb 11, 2017 8:36 PM

Jan 2017
No changes related to age, but my tastes changed the more shows I watched because of cliches I don't like to see anymore, etc.

Feb 11, 2017 8:53 PM
Sep 2016
My taste for anime definitely changed because I got older when i was 16 or less i would never watch anything the was not a shonen or that don't remind me cowboy bebop but now that I'm 22 I love watching slice of life, romance, comedy, drama and even shoujo [When I was young I literally thought I would never watch shoujo in my life, I only watched D N Angel when I was young because I did not know it was a shoujo].
I don't remember why i do not liked those genre in that time, but probably was only boring to me.
Feb 11, 2017 9:06 PM

Jul 2014
When I was in elementary school, I used to watch Yugioh, Pokemon, Do Re Mi (magical girls), Tokyo Mew Mew (transformed girls), Inuyasha, Naruto, etc. Basically what popped up in television. I was very open minded and enjoyed the action and the 'battle style' of those shows (both shounen and shoujo). My first intentional anime is Shakugan no Shana at age 10 (action, romance, fantasy). In my middle school days, however, my brother kept recommending shoujo that he thought I would like Fruit Basket, Ouran High School Host Club, Shugo Chara, Saiunkokou etc. I enjoyed them and wanted more cutesy shows. I remember watching Madoka Magica at 12 because of that search for cute girl shows. I then got really interested in shonen once again, watching Blue Exorcist, Full Metal Alchemist, Fairy Tail, Hunter x Hunter (one of my faves). Once I started watching all the enjoyable anime in shoujo and shounen, I started expanding. I currently love sports anime. I also watch BL occasionally. I even watch a lot of harems! However, I think I'm still rooted to my core interests: action, comedy, romance. I usually stray away from horror, mecha, and millitary. Maybe I'll like those genres and favor josei to shoujo in the future?
raisa864Feb 11, 2017 9:16 PM
Feb 11, 2017 9:11 PM

Jun 2013
I only started watching anime four years ago, but I've become less and less tolerant of ecchi...

✾ anime list
✾ manga list
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
✾ APC
✾ Anime Advocates
Feb 11, 2017 9:19 PM

Jun 2014
_xDane_ said:
Kagami said:
Not to butt in, but I think we as fans are very blessed. They might be married and at times it feels like anime is consuming our lives, but are you happy? A lot of people would kill to find a hobby they enjoy so much to invest this much time in. I wake up everyday happy and am living the life I want to live and that is all that matters!

No worries I really appreciate it. It's just sometimes, I tend to forgot that I started to watch Anime because I love/enjoy it and not because I have nothing better else to do.

Thanks for reminding me :)

Now, it's starting to feel that I'm yearning for Animes that would try to teach me something that I may experience some time soon.
Anytime. I just tell you what I tell everybody really. Also, don't fear growing out of your tastes because as long as you like a medium then I think growing out of it won't happen.
Feb 11, 2017 9:20 PM

Jun 2015
Well uh, I'm 16 and was a huge fan of ecchi harem romances for about 3 years, but now I'm into stuff like Hellsing Ultimate, Berserk, FMA: Brotherhood, etc..
Feb 11, 2017 9:24 PM

Jan 2010
I feel like the older I get, the less I feel like watching something if there's any possibility I won't like it much or won't enjoy watching it. I don't think my overall interests have changed that much from when I was younger but I am a lot more selective with what I watch now.
People are constantly changing though so it's not that unheard of to have your interests shift a bit, it doesn't have to mean that you dislike what you liked before.
Feb 11, 2017 9:26 PM

Sep 2014
Back when I started anime, I liked stuff like Naruto and Attack on Titan, fast forward 2 years, I now fanboy over Rabu Raibu......... I don't regret it one bit.
Feb 11, 2017 9:30 PM

Mar 2016
For myself, at least 3-5 years later my taste are still same because i'm the person who ain't easily to get bored after doing some repetitious things. So my answer is no.

Feb 11, 2017 9:31 PM

Jan 2016
For me not really, no, although I didn't really started watching anime until about 2013-ish, and with the collection/anime I've watched I haven't seen a whole lot the only others I've seen that aren't on my list are pretty much SAO, 7 Deadly Sins and a tad bit of Naruto that's about it.

So I can't really be a judge for myself although I like all the same stuff I've always liked.

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
Feb 11, 2017 9:33 PM

Nov 2016
Sterps said:
It's not that my tastes in anime changes as I grow older. It's just that I prefer to watch a certain something depending on my mood. I sometimes prefer psychologicals, romances, slice of lifes, shonen, and etc. I don't usually care tho, as long as the story is good or if it's entertaining.

Pretty much this. (quoting because I'm too lazy to type :v)

Feb 11, 2017 9:33 PM

Jun 2014
Elegade said:
Back when I started anime, I liked stuff like Naruto and Attack on Titan, fast forward 2 years, I now fanboy over Rabu Raibu......... I don't regret it one bit.
Were you a dubbed Narutard too? Smells like me.
Feb 11, 2017 9:37 PM

Jan 2017
Not really. I had a pretty open mind to all anime as a kid when I first started watching anime. Most of my first anime were on Adult Swim at the time which included Death Note, Trinity Blood, Bleach, and Blood+. Those opened my eyes to various other genres such as romance, harem, magical girl, slice of life, etc. I think as I have grown though, I have begun to watch more complex anime, like Steins Gate because I can fully understand and follow the storyline now that I am older lol.

im weeb trash
✧ ✦ ✧ ✦

Feb 11, 2017 10:06 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
_xDane_ said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

i don't think other peoples marriage and having kids is something to be influenced by :/

don't get married and don't have kids

always been into cute/sexy anime girls, nothing changed here
Feb 11, 2017 10:08 PM
Oct 2014
I think everyone's tastes change as they continue to explore a media/genre/art-form. I'm 22, been an anime fan for 4 years, and I watch pretty much any genre of anime as long as it's good. That being said, I got into anime pretty much trying to replace last airbender, a sort of gateway series into animation in general for me. I tried attack on titan and sao, didn't care. My first love was mushi shi. I'm into anything that strikes me as true, interesting, or well crafted, basically. Also, being a writer about to graduate with an english degree, I can't help but bring the criticism I use on my own stuff to the shows I watch. So I penalize for the usual plot holes, weak characterization, fluff (fanservice), etc. To give an example of shows currently airing, I'm really into 3-gatsu, Showa, and ACCA. I tried and dropped Fuuka, Kobayashi Dragon Maid, Onihei.

If the op question was essentially, "did you grow out of harems?" I'll say no. There are lots of harems that do things differently. It's just that a good majority of them don't mind story; they're just vehicles to make waifus move and talk and moan. We got hentai for that lol
"The only thing I still write is a list of people I'll never forgive" - Hikigaya 8man
Feb 11, 2017 10:08 PM

May 2010
I was, like, barely 12 when I've started, and I'm twenty now, so of course it has changed a bit. Not THAT much though, I loved cute shoujo shows and long running shounens back then, and I still do. When I was 14 I was deeply in love with edgy, bloody horror shows, and I still am (maybe for slightly different reasons now).

Probably my perspective has changed the most, not the taste. So while I like similar type of shows, I perceive certain cliches or types of stories/characters differently now, but that's mostly because I've grown up and consumed plenty of different works, I suppose.
I definitely didn't change into anime hipster who is ashamed of enjoying simple shows like Naruto, and I'm sure I will never go that route.
Feb 12, 2017 12:47 AM

Jan 2016
Well, since I'm already old(23 years old) when I started watching anime.... I can't say but I can say for now that in the 2 years I've been watching it... my tastes became broader than ever.
Feb 12, 2017 12:51 AM
Jul 2018
I can't really say much since I started watching anime 4 years ago and am still trying to get caught up with all the mainstream anime flying across my face. However, my interests in certain genres have changed. I went from just enjoying fantasy actions to moreso psychological turn. It might be because of broadened knowledge of shows now or my maturity is actually starting to show (amazingly).3
Feb 12, 2017 12:52 AM

Nov 2014
I hate Gintama since 14 yo, so I would say No.
But then it took me 10 years to finish Mushishi, and give it a 10... so idk.

Feb 12, 2017 12:56 AM

Oct 2016
So I guess, the amount of Animes you've watched and your current mood are the key factors on how your preference changes over time.

I may be dwelling too much on the idea that I might get tired seeing same recycled shows again and again, I just hope more unique shows will come up as the anime industry evolves over time.

Feb 12, 2017 12:59 AM

Feb 2015
I started watching anime about three years ago, so no lol. Maybe in a few years it will? Who knows
Feb 12, 2017 1:00 AM

Mar 2016
I don't know but I think I avoid to watch romance anime (which is my most favourite genre 2 years ago) right now because of unresolved relationship and if you saw my watching list most of them are slice of life and drama.
Forum set made by Sereshay

Feb 12, 2017 1:06 AM

Jul 2015
My taste does not change, however, I may become more open-minded and try to watch new kinds of anime, not because I grew up, but generally because I want to watch more good anime.
I mean, I used to like Ecchi and nothing else when I was in middle school, now it's my last high school year and I like almost all kinds of anime, I still like Ecchi as much as I did, but I do watch everything as long as it has good quality.
As an example, I used to hate Shoujo because it wasn't my thing, but when I forced myself to watch Nana it turned out to be a pretty good one, and thus I was introduced to many other great Shoujo anime.
Also, my sister used to hate Shounen, but when I forced her to watch Hajime no Ippo, it's now one of her top 10
Feb 12, 2017 2:36 AM

Oct 2016
KazamiSan said:

Also, my sister used to hate Shounen, but when I forced her to watch Hajime no Ippo, it's now one of her top 10

Looks like our imoutos are catching up too with our hobby lol.

Anyway I'm just glad she's not into Yaoi, not unless her preference also changes over time like me.. >.<

Feb 12, 2017 2:59 AM

Dec 2015
My tastes have only broadened, but that holds true for about any medium I consume.
Feb 12, 2017 3:03 AM
Jul 2015
Yeah. I've become very very picky. I no longer watch harem and ecchi genres. I also avoid anime with school settings and slice of slife doesn't appeal to me too much anymore either.

...and only 2 years or so have passed since I've gotten into anime
Feb 12, 2017 3:10 AM

Jul 2015
_xDane_ said:
KazamiSan said:

Looks like our imoutos are catching up too with our hobby lol.

Anyway I'm just glad she's not into Yaoi, not unless her preference also changes over time like me.. >.<

I've never seen her watch any Yaoi/Shounen-Ai animes, but, who knows? She might does in secret, she's a girl after all xD
Feb 12, 2017 3:20 AM
Oct 2015
I don't really have a taste in just watch anything that's good...
Btw how do u make a gif/picture appear under my name in replies?
Feb 12, 2017 6:15 AM

May 2015
I used to enjoy ecchi back in the day but I no longer do. I think it has more to do with understanding gender and aesthetics better. Sexy women are awesome and all, but they don't make for great storytelling tools.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do your irl friends watch anime? ( 1 2 )

coolyfruity - May 24

60 by Usapz »»
4 minutes ago

» Favorite Sports Anime ?

tchitchouan - 10 hours ago

19 by DesuMaiden »»
10 minutes ago

» Misconceptions about anime in general or specific titles that continue to spread despite everything

RobertBobert - 3 hours ago

13 by mshfqtny »»
14 minutes ago

» Seeking Feedback from Female Anime Fans: Creating an Inclusive Environment in Our Club

devil2 - 6 hours ago

7 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
20 minutes ago

» Who are the "Four Beauties" of Anime?

Catalano - 3 hours ago

7 by Serafos »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.