Forum Settings
Forums

Why female lead characters didn't have much favorites ?

New
Apr 1, 2016 7:21 AM

Jan 2014
Chihaya and Yona both are my favorite female characters, and both of them are lead characters. I wonder why typical female lead like they both, for example Kyoko Mogami (Skip Beat), Fujioka Haruhi (Ouran), Ayuzawa Misaki (Kaicho Maidsama) and the others didn't have much favorites like male leads (Luffy, Ed, Naruto, Gintoki, etc.).

I think female lead have much better character development than non-lead but main female characters like Yuno Gasai, Makise Kurisu, or Aisaka Taiga (3 most favorite female characters). Do you think female lead was a bad waifu or what ?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 1, 2016 7:27 AM

Jul 2013
Probably because the series who have females lead are less known that shows who have male leads. The Top 10 of MAL fave characters consists in:

1-Lelouch Lamperouge
2-L
3-Luffy
4-Edward Elric
5-Light Yagami
6-Rintarou Okabe
7-Gintoki Sakata
8-Zoro Roronoa
9-Kirito
10-Naruto Uzumaki

All of them of very popular franchises. Just question a random anime watcher if he/she knows animes like Skip Beat and then if he/she knows Bleach or Code Geass, by example. The response will be obvious.
Apr 1, 2016 7:31 AM

Mar 2015
Hmm.. I have 5 male and 5 female fav characters.. A balance fav. xD

How about you OP? You have more male than female as fav~
This salad is salty favored
Apr 1, 2016 7:39 AM

Jan 2014
kamisama751 said:
Because Boku no Pico is much better.
Please don't mention that, I'm homophobe.
Illyricus said:
Probably because the series who have females lead are less known that shows who have male leads.
Then why series who have female leads are less popular?
_Esper_ said:
I didn't really know 5 of your female characters are lead characters or not, at least Mikasa and Saber aren't. Mine only have Senjogahara as non-lead female character
Apr 1, 2016 7:46 AM
Jul 2018
Becoz....people don't like them and it's too mainstream? xD

I can name many female leads like hitagi, haruhi who are a little different than others and are liked by many people.
Apr 1, 2016 7:47 AM

Nov 2009
HiatusXHiatus said:
Illyricus said:
Probably because the series who have females lead are less known that shows who have male leads.
Then why series who have female leads are less popular?[

Basically, long-running battle shounens are really popular. Their lead is made similar to target audience: young and male.

Most of the more serious and critically-acclaimed shows (like Death Note or Steins; Gate) also have male leads. Because sexism.

HiatusXHiatus said:
I think female lead have much better character development than non-lead but main female characters like Yuno Gasai, Makise Kurisu, or Aisaka Taiga (3 most favorite female characters). Do you think female lead was a bad waifu or what ?

I tend to think that in proper romance, both the male and the female leads are main characters. Thus, Taiga is a lead character.
Also, Gasai Yuno is the lead of Mirai Nikki. She isn't the PoV character, but she is, without a doubt, the lead.
Apr 1, 2016 7:50 AM

Mar 2015
Maybe because those series with the male main leads are more popular?
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Apr 1, 2016 7:53 AM

Dec 2015
_Esper_ said:

I also have 5 male and 5 female in favourites, never noticed that before.
Apr 1, 2016 7:57 AM

Feb 2016
Aren't female leads a bit scarce? I would think that be the reason. Aside from everyone being different. Some people like action, some like drama. There's probably more action lovers, so... There might be a fair amount of favorited female mc's. Isn't that good enough to fit the bill? (Asuna from SAO, Yoko from Gurren Lagann, come to mind. I'm sure there's plenty but I can't think of more off the top of my head atm. )

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Apr 1, 2016 7:57 AM

Oct 2014
Men's tastes in women tend to be more diverse than women's tastes in men. Also, boys tend to just add the most badass male characters they've seen.
Apr 1, 2016 7:59 AM

May 2014
zombie_pegasus said:
Men's tastes in women tend to be more diverse than women's tastes in men.

Obviously this is true, as my taste in men is big, muscular and gay.
Apr 1, 2016 7:59 AM

Jan 2014
flannan said:

I tend to think that in proper romance, both the male and the female leads are main characters. Thus, Taiga is a lead character.
Also, Gasai Yuno is the lead of Mirai Nikki. She isn't the PoV character, but she is, without a doubt, the lead.
Yes, almost all romance anime have couple MC, but I think the lead can't be both. For example Toradora has male lead, Ryuuji and Kimi no Todoke has female lead, Kuronuma Sawako. And about Mirai Nikki it's obvious that the lead character is Yukiteru (though Yuno was very much better than him).
Apr 1, 2016 8:01 AM

Nov 2009
HiatusXHiatus said:
flannan said:

Yes, almost all romance anime have couple MC, but I think the lead can't be both. For example Toradora has male lead, Ryuuji and Kimi no Todoke has female lead, Kuronuma Sawako. And about Mirai Nikki it's obvious that the lead character is Yukiteru (though Yuno was very much better than him).

Well, if you're using such a definition of "lead", no wonder female leads are rare in the favorites.
Apr 1, 2016 8:09 AM

Feb 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
Men's tastes in women tend to be more diverse than women's tastes in men. Also, boys tend to just add the most badass male characters they've seen.

who is the girl in your avatar ?
what anime is it ?

OT: hmm.....i don't really know. maybe overall people doesn't like it.
but i like some of them. i have 8 female leads in my fav.
Apr 1, 2016 8:10 AM

Jan 2014
FrozenWhiskers said:
because female leads suck, i never liked any
the side female characters are always way better in my opinion
Well you're female after all, maybe you have different taste than male.

Wait, you have HxH 2011 and Pandora Hearts as your favorite (^o^)
Apr 1, 2016 8:13 AM

Oct 2014
Tevens said:
zombie_pegasus said:

what anime is it ?

It's Hina from Glasslip. She's the best character from it, although the chickens are also good characters.
Apr 1, 2016 8:16 AM

Jan 2014
Tevens said:
zombie_pegasus said:

what anime is it ?

no wonder you have all female favorites
Apr 1, 2016 8:16 AM

Feb 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
Tevens said:

what anime is it ?

It's Hina from Glasslip. She's the best character from it, although the chickens are also good characters.

OW! i have already watched it but i didn't realize such character exist in it (probably beause of the plot. i was trying so hard to understand the plot and because of that i didn't realize the supporting character)
yeah....the chickens is ma fav character too XD
Apr 1, 2016 8:17 AM

Feb 2015
HiatusXHiatus said:
Tevens said:

what anime is it ?

i have male fav but i didn't put it in the fav section.
Apr 1, 2016 8:21 AM

Jan 2014
Tevens said:
HiatusXHiatus said:

lol, you have only 3, and all of them are similiar too.
Apr 1, 2016 8:30 AM

May 2012
RyanEsau said:
Aren't female leads a bit scarce?

Not really. See http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4446324#4446324.

Most of my favorite characters are female.

"Many of my movies have strong female leads - brave, self-sufficient girls that don't think twice about fighting for what they believe in with all their heart. They'll need a friend, or a supporter, but never a savior. Any woman is just as capable of being a hero as any man."

-- Miyazaki Hayao
Apr 1, 2016 9:07 AM

Feb 2015
HiatusXHiatus said:
Tevens said:

lol, you have only 3, and all of them are similiar too.

yeah...so for me, it is not the female leads but male leads. so far only 3 male character that i like.
Apr 1, 2016 9:34 AM
Jan 2014
Because the male users on MAL are sexist or idiots and the female users are fujoshi or are jealous of the strong female leads.

That's the truth, everyone else are just trying to bury the issue, with their shit posts or great arguements about popularity of shows or most really popular shows have male leads...
Oh God, I was wrong. Please don't look at me I have brought great shame to the anime community of MAL. I'm fucking disgusting with my hyperbole, generalisation and being unfunny. Where did it all go so wrong? I mean all I ever wanted was for people to know that the anime they watch aren't the best and that the medium had so much else to offer than generic shounen bullshit. But somewhere I saw that the masses didn't care about my criticism being valid and just wanted their own negative biases confirmed on the flavour of the season or a popular show.

Apr 1, 2016 9:35 AM

Sep 2012
Because in action shows generally the main character will have the most favorites. This is probably because the story revolves around their actions. Most action shows have a male main character for obvious reasons.

In romance shows generally the main character will not have the most favorites, but whoever the romantic interest is will. This is probably because the story revolves around that person, not the main character. That goes for romances with both male and female main characters.

So the numbers are always going to have a male bias for most favorites. And it has nothing to do with not liking women or female characters. The only "sexism" here is why male characters typically lead action shows, and you'd be kind of a moron if you wanted to argue that the sexism there disadvantages women.
Apr 1, 2016 9:36 AM

Sep 2015
Because girls are gross......eww.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Apr 1, 2016 9:38 AM
Jan 2014
-Senpai- said:
Because girls are gross......eww.

Happy April Fools Day to you too -Senpai-

Apr 1, 2016 9:51 AM
Jan 2014
kamisama751 said:

A jealous woman does better research than the FBI. Therefore, womans are scary. So stick your head into amazing stuff like Boku no Pico.

Please that stuff is too softcore for my tastes.
But it's okay as baby's first hentai of course, since you have to start with the lighter stuff.
Shock_YinApr 1, 2016 10:14 AM

Apr 1, 2016 9:51 AM
Jul 2014
Like other have said shows with male leads are just more popular. Especially since this site is dominated by males.

Some of my favorite characters are female though. Noda Megumi and Tomoko Kuroki
Apr 1, 2016 10:08 AM

Apr 2015
Shock_Yin said:
Because the male users on MAL are sexist or idiots and the female users are fujoshi or are jealous of the strong female leads.

The truth has spoken, burn down sexism!
Apr 1, 2016 11:27 AM

Feb 2016
SeijiSensei said:

Not really. See http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4446324#4446324.

Most of my favorite characters are female.

Hmm.. guess there's a fair amount then. More than I thought. Just not really animes I've come across in all my anime browsing/watching/news (heard).
--

OT: I just went over my anime list and thought about Balsa. Lead Character. You can probably tell but my favorites are biased on 'cool' like someone mentioned earlier some people do. I don't exactly attach myself (emotions and such) to characters, especially not in dramas. (I like a good drama sometimes but not one of my favs really)

Just decided to add her to my favs since that anime was quite memorable and she would be a favorite if I picked from females. Also added Bishamon (Bishamonten) since I loved her in Noragami. Her and Yato always got too me lol. Guess I'm a sucker for good fueding.

Maybe this thread will make alot of others take a look at their lists and rethink as I just did out of random.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Apr 1, 2016 11:36 AM

Nov 2008
Guys want cool badass leads in anime (save for SoL), and girls want cute, strong, sometimes bad boy type guys in anime, it's just a fact of life.

Apr 1, 2016 11:38 AM

Jul 2015
I think it's a conspiracy by the patriarchy, to make all women feel insignificant by making the male characters more popular among anime fans. We must fight this oppression by forcing gender quotas on people's favorite character lists.
Apr 1, 2016 11:49 AM

Jun 2015
Because the majority of casual viewers only watch the top shows. Seriously now. It's not that hard to answer.

If you want something deeper, it is because most male characters serve as some sort of wish fulfillment material and what kind of viewer wouldn't prefer being a badass op character with super powers to being a super independent woman.
Apr 1, 2016 11:57 AM

Apr 2015
First, almost all anime that have female lead are not near as good as the ones that have male lead. And imo, it's rare to find a good female lead because most of them are recycled junk from every shoujo anime
Apr 1, 2016 12:05 PM

Mar 2016
Maybe because it is easy to find series with blunt male character therefore those developed one get much more attention because they stand out more from the other.
As for the female one there are many interesting female characters therefore it is harder to find one that stands out from the others.
Apr 1, 2016 12:20 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Most mainstream anime have very male-centric main character casts so..

Favorites count is mostly a popularity contest after all
Apr 1, 2016 12:31 PM
Jan 2015
Well for the five female characters currently in my favorites; consists of 1 supporting(Mayumi), 3 co-lead(Hitagi, Yukino, Rin), and 1 lead(Shiki). I haven't watched many series with a female lead and when I do I don't like the lead enough to place them in my faces.
My Queens

Apr 1, 2016 12:35 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
people probably have an unconscious bias towards men being leaders, since in most societies, men have historically been in charge

i grew up believing women ran shit, so i completely lack this bias and prefer females characters and love female leads
Apr 1, 2016 12:37 PM

Dec 2015
I have quite a few female characters in my favorites (7/10 are female). Only 2 of them are leads though.
Apr 1, 2016 1:33 PM

Feb 2015
Women suck and they're inferior to males, that's why! #FuckFeminism
Apr 1, 2016 3:07 PM

Sep 2013
OP, you're comparing the leads from three random shows to the leads from four of the most successful and well-known anime worldwide. Of course the last four have more favourites, that has nothing to do with gender in the first place but with starring in much more successful anime franchises.
Apr 1, 2016 3:20 PM

Aug 2014
Mamster-P said:
people probably have an unconscious bias towards men being leaders, since in most societies, men have historically been in charge

i grew up believing women ran shit, so i completely lack this bias and prefer females characters and love female leads
This is just stupid. Looking at the most popular characters, you'll see that all of them are from mainstream/extremely popular shows in the west - Naruto, Fairy Tail, Death Note, SAO etc. (essentially gateway shows or mainstream shounens)

I highly doubt it has anything to do with an unconscious bias or anything and more to do with the shows themself.
Apr 1, 2016 4:34 PM

Apr 2015
There are fewer female leads than male leads in general, thus it is reasonable that there would be fewer favorited female leads than favorited male leads. /math

In all seriousness, most ladies (goes for males too, but is exacerbated in females) in anime aren't well written enough to be deserving of being a favorite. Except for Kagura.

Apr 1, 2016 4:42 PM

Jun 2015
This is plain and simple, the most popular series in this site have male leads. How many people have completed the series you've mentioned when referring to female leads? Even the females with more favorites are most likely not going to be leading their own show, but just being part of the supporting cast of one of those with a larger number of users.
Apr 1, 2016 4:42 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Snappynator said:
Looking at the most popular characters, you'll see that all of them are from mainstream/extremely popular shows in the west - Naruto, Fairy Tail, Death Note, SAO etc. (essentially gateway shows or mainstream shounens)

I highly doubt it has anything to do with an unconscious bias or anything and more to do with the shows themself.

he said "female leads", not " the star of the show"

Gasai Yuuno is not the star of Mirai Nikki, but still the female lead

you could still pick the leading female character from those shows most popular in the west, yet no one does, they pick the guys

female lead =/= show that stars a girl
Apr 1, 2016 5:07 PM

Jan 2014
Mamster-P said:
Snappynator said:
Looking at the most popular characters, you'll see that all of them are from mainstream/extremely popular shows in the west - Naruto, Fairy Tail, Death Note, SAO etc. (essentially gateway shows or mainstream shounens)

he said "female leads", not " the star of the show"

Gasai Yuuno is not the star of Mirai Nikki, but still the female lead

you could still pick the leading female character from those shows most popular in the west, yet no one does, they pick the guys

female lead =/= show that stars a girl

I might confuse you but I mean female kead = show that stars a girl. That's why they have less favorite because mainly popular series have male lead/show that stars a man.
Apr 1, 2016 5:41 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@HiatusXHiatus

ah well as long as you mean the show "stars a male" then obviously there's just far less of those that are popular therefore less favorites

like SAO for example obviously stars Kirito, but Asuna is still considered the "female lead" so i was thinking you meant it that way
Apr 1, 2016 6:55 PM

Jan 2008
Shoujo anime pander to girls with hot and sexy guys. Shounen anime pander to guys with cute and hot girls.

Almost every shoujo, the male lead will have all the favorites. I honestly can't tihnk of a shoujo romance where the female lead has more favorites than the male(s).

It varies a bit more in shounen, though in romance or non-action based one, effect generally applies too, so female characters have more favorites than males.
Apr 1, 2016 7:01 PM

Aug 2015
Why female lead characters didn't have much favorites ?
because in mal female favorites are male anime characters...just check a random female mal user favorite
Apr 1, 2016 7:05 PM

Jan 2016
Probably because most females enjoy male lead characters.
It could possibly be that male are also interested in some action therefore, they enjoy it when a male (like themselves) is a lead. That way they can have some minor sense of relation.

No clue of the real reason though

Lines
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Say, how does an anime look like on an HD CRT television from the early to mid 2000's or a rear projection TV manufactured around the same time period?

MaximumHolder500 - 4 hours ago

2 by traed »»
54 seconds ago

» Why are there so many anime that start with the letter D and sound like complete gibberish

guoc - Yesterday

27 by alshu »»
13 minutes ago

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - 5 hours ago

15 by Spunkert »»
19 minutes ago

» Does the chairudo with your waifu take after you?

SgtBateMan - 1 hour ago

2 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
28 minutes ago

» Which big name anime(s) were you late watching or still haven't watched?

IpreferEcchi - 4 hours ago

16 by Walter_White18 »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.