Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 16, 2015 6:38 AM

Jun 2015
People use the word "edgy" negative alternative word for Dark/Mature. It's more like saying the anime is being "Too dark", or "Being dark for sake of being dark"
We commonly see that from people who dislikes dark toned anime; for example, Fate series fans who hate Fate/Zero for being unnecessary & edgy prequel.
Therefore, many wimps would complain about :

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 16, 2015 6:42 AM

Mar 2014
If not handled right then yes it can

Too bad edgy anime rarely are executed properly (Tokyo Ghoul, Akame Ga Kill, Mirai Nikki etc)
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained

Aug 2014
Comic_Sans said:

Too bad edgy anime rarely are executed properly (Tokyo Ghoul, Akame Ga Kill, Mirai Nikki etc)

Apr 2015
No, Dark and edgy anime is better
Oh yeah and OP, speaking about Fate series I like HF the most, followed by Zero.
Dec 16, 2015 6:43 AM

Jun 2015
fate isn't really edgy just saying
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2015 6:44 AM

Apr 2015
You are making a shitload of posts lately.
befriend (v.): To violently attack someone with very dangerous and extremely powerful blasts of magical pink light until your target sees the validity of your viewpoint.
Dec 16, 2015 6:46 AM

Nov 2015
Nagirah said:
If the edginess is only thing about the anime that stands out, then it is bad. It's sort of like using fanservice to cover up shitty plot and characters. Wait, it's exactly the same which is why I dislike both of them. Good example of this is Akame ga Kill.

Yep...
Dec 16, 2015 6:46 AM

Mar 2015
There is a certain amount of edginess an anime/manga can have, if its too much, it starts to be stupid and to only shine by its edginess like the anime adaptations of Akame ga Kill and Tokyo Ghoul.
No anime is perfect, except for my favorites

Dec 16, 2015 6:47 AM

Oct 2014
calling fate zero edgy us one of the most patetic excuses the fate fandom uses to say ubw is better
Dec 16, 2015 6:48 AM

Jul 2014
TYxTxYT said:
You are making a shitload of posts lately.
Well, atleast it's better than the "Movement for hentai" BS
Dec 16, 2015 6:48 AM

Feb 2013
Comic_Sans said:

I agree but also without that edginess i wouldnt have bothered with those shows

Dec 16, 2015 6:49 AM

Oct 2012
Arturio said:
fate isn't really edgy just saying
Uh ok, Urobuchi's postface from LN 1 seems to say differently

Gen Urobuchi said:
I am full of hatred towards men's so-called happiness, and had to push the characters I poured my heart out to create into the abyss of tragedy.
Dec 16, 2015 6:49 AM

Mar 2014
badwolf45f said:
Comic_Sans said:

You're a very edgy person
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 16, 2015 6:50 AM

Mar 2015
only if it's the only one thing that become it stand out point.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 16, 2015 6:50 AM

Apr 2013
Berserk taught me edginess when used appropriately can actually be entertaining.
Btw, I wouldn't describe Fate Zero as edgy. Definitely dark, but that was usually used for some purpose. Some of the caster scenes may be considered a bit unneeded I guess, but still...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Dec 16, 2015 6:51 AM

Jun 2015
geralt said:
Berserk taught me edginess when used appropriately can actually be entertaining.
Btw, I wouldn't describe Fate Zero as edgy. Definitely dark, but that was usually used for some purpose. Some of the caster scenes may be considered a bit unneeded I guess, but still...

Yes, they kill children
Dec 16, 2015 6:51 AM

Oct 2014
Comic_Sans said:
badwolf45f said:

this shows have nothing to offer besides the edginess
Dec 16, 2015 6:52 AM

Feb 2013
Comic_Sans said:
badwolf45f said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2015 6:52 AM

Jun 2015
badwolf45f said:
Comic_Sans said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

lmao
Dec 16, 2015 6:53 AM
Mar 2014
gabrielrroiz said:
calling fate zero edgy us one of the most patetic excuses the fate fandom uses to say ubw is better

what?
show me someone who actually thinks the UBW anime is better than Zero

People say the VN is better, which I (and the vast majority of people who have read it) think is correct. Edginess has nothing to do with it.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Dec 16, 2015 6:53 AM

Sep 2015
I really dislike ever using the word because it's far too vague, but to me it's a negative word.
Ergo, if there's an anime I would consider 'edgy' (Mirrai Nikki is the only one that comes to mind) then I consider it bad.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Dec 16, 2015 6:54 AM

Feb 2013
gabrielrroiz said:
Comic_Sans said:

Obviously Akame Ga kill has a deep story full of character development and likeable cast, no one watched it for the blood.

May 2013
I don't even know what the word means any more, seeing as so many people use it to mean different things. From what I gather though, edgy is apparently dark themes being used badly or excessively or something of the like.

Jun 2015
omfgplzstop said:
gabrielrroiz said:

what?

People say the VN is better, which I (and the vast majority of people who have read it) think is correct. Edginess has nothing to do with it.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/OneTrueBaita
Dec 16, 2015 6:58 AM

Jan 2013
The line between edgy and dark is thin, and is dictated by whether you like the anime or not.
Dec 16, 2015 6:59 AM
Mar 2014
Deago said:
omfgplzstop said:

what?

He acknowledges its flaws as an adaptation and just says that he personally enjoys it more because it reminds him of scene from the VN accompanied by gr8 action and shit.

If not, he still doesn't say it's better than Zero because it's edgy.
Rinth said:

Dec 16, 2015 7:01 AM
Mar 2014
badwolf45f said:
gabrielrroiz said:

Obviously Akame Ga kill has a deep story full of character development and likeable cast, no one watched it for the blood.

this isnt that far from the truth tbh
Rinth said:

Nov 2015
pls learn what edgy actually means
ok thx

Sep 2014
In my dictionary, yes.
Edgy is often associated with the word unreasonable.
Lets use FZ as example.
1. Why did Caster kill all those chuldren? He kill them without any particular reason.
2. Why did Kiritsugu start killing people? His dream is to be superhero and killing even innocent people is not how you become one.
3. Why does Kariya kill Tokiomi wifes? Its one of the most unreasonable scene in FZ.

For me, edgy is 'usually' bad.
[i][b]I'am the Mayor of under development residential called MAL Backstreet Residential.
Now what are you waiting for?! Come join us at MAL Backstreet Residential!!
[/i][/b]
Dec 16, 2015 7:02 AM

Aug 2014
Deago said:
omfgplzstop said:

what?

Never heard him say UBW is better, only that UBW was good/a fine adaptation.
Dec 16, 2015 7:02 AM

Feb 2013
Randoll_ said:
pls learn what edgy actually means
ok thx
edgy means lotsa things
BangToyib's examples are deffo edgy, as per Deago's definition

Dec 16, 2015 7:03 AM

Nov 2015
Yes
Dec 16, 2015 7:03 AM

Jun 2015

too edgy spoilers
Dec 16, 2015 7:05 AM

Oct 2014
omfgplzstop said:
badwolf45f said:

deep story full of character development is not far from the truth?
Dec 16, 2015 7:06 AM
Nov 2009
"Edgy" carries a positive connotation these days, so no, edgy shows are great, only because they are edgy.
Dec 16, 2015 7:08 AM

Oct 2014
omfgplzstop said:
Deago said:

He acknowledges its flaws as an adaptation and just says that he personally enjoys it more because it reminds him of scene from the VN accompanied by gr8 action and shit.

they keep saying that the only reason people like fate zero and deslike fate stay night is because it is not edgy like fate zero
hence the meme unlimited grimdark works
Dec 16, 2015 7:08 AM

Mar 2014
Duskfall said:
"Edgy" carries a positive connotation these days, so no, edgy shows are great, only because they are edgy.
What

No
Nico- said:
Dec 16, 2015 7:09 AM
Mar 2014
gabrielrroiz said:
omfgplzstop said:

deep story full of character development is not far from the truth?

likeable cast and a lot of people not watching it for da blood
Rinth said:

Dec 16, 2015 7:10 AM

Jun 2015
I'd burn this thread in an incinerator if possible
Dec 16, 2015 7:11 AM

Jun 2015
Snappynator said:
Deago said:

Never heard him say UBW is better, only that UBW was good/a fine adaptation.

I never said that, how shameful! He's my nakama fate fan
Dec 16, 2015 7:16 AM
Nov 2015
BangToyib said:
In my dictionary, yes.
Lets use FZ as example.
1. Why did Caster kill all those chuldren? He kill them without any particular reason.
2. Why did Kiritsugu start killing people? His dream is to be superhero and killing even innocent people is not how you become one.
3. Why does Kariya kill Tokiomi wifes? Its one of the most unreasonable scene in FZ.

For number 2 were you paying attention to the show?...

Only your first point can be considered edgy but Fate/zero as a whole is more mature/dark rather than edgy.
StupidityKillerDec 16, 2015 7:20 AM
Dec 16, 2015 7:24 AM
Mar 2014
gabrielrroiz said:
omfgplzstop said:

they keep saying that the only reason people like fate zero and deslike fate stay night is because it is not edgy like fate zero

they're dumb then
also wut
that meme was made because secondaries who've never read the VN kept talking about how Zero > UBW and F/SN as a whole and/or about how it isn't the 'true sequel of fate/zero.'
who said that tho
omfgplzstopDec 16, 2015 7:32 AM
Rinth said:

Dec 16, 2015 7:44 AM

Jan 2012
Not necessarily. Hellsing felt quite edgy to me but it was still good because it had more going on for it than just the edgyness. If the only thing that stands out in the show is that it's Edgy then the show lacks more prominent qualities, and that's what ruins it. Not the Edgyness.
Dec 16, 2015 7:47 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
BangToyib said:
In my dictionary, yes.
Lets use FZ as example.

Thanks for all these spoilers bro
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Dec 16, 2015 7:53 AM

Mar 2015
gabrielrroiz said:
omfgplzstop said:

Someone called me? As I've said before, I cannot be objective on the UBW anime because it's something I've waited ages for, and is something that has hit most of my expectations. That's not to say it deserves the 10/10 I gave it, nor does it say it doesn't deserve it. Zero is the same, as is Carnival Phantasm and Prillya. If you were to ask me which is better, I cannot answer either, only that I enjoyed UBW more than Zero.

Also, Zero is edgy, there's no denying it. That adds to its appeal for me though, as a tragic story that I knew the ending of.

Also, if you'd bear with me, I'll go dig up my old review on UBW.
Dec 16, 2015 7:55 AM

Jul 2014
Deago said:
People use the word "edgy" negative alternative word for Dark/Mature.

Ima stop you right there.

It's "dark/ immature". Carry on.
Dec 16, 2015 7:56 AM

Mar 2015
@omfg and gabriel

OneTrueBaita said:
Oh dear, I've forgotten to review UBW in the UBW forum. A travesty I'll fix right now. -_-"

Alright, this has been an amazing ride from start to finish. A bit bumpy pacing-wise at first in S2, but it evened out afterwards. The last two episodes were beyond incredible, and they make up for any problems I have had with this adaptation (such as no Ever-Present Feeling remix ;_;).

Needless to say, Shirou vs Gil was the best fight in this adaptation, and having a new Emiya remix is never a bad thing. I do love how they changed the fight from the VN's simple "press onto Gil and don't let him regain composure". If they did that in the anime, it would be boring as heck. The visuals, barring a few frames, were top-notch, so I have no complaints there. Saber and Archer's scenes were very well done as well.

Last episode exceeded all my expectations. We finally get to see Shirou and Rin in London! London! It was pure fanservice, and I loved every minute of it. In fact, as a Shirou x Rin diehard shipper, I enjoyed this episode more than Carnival Phantasm, and that really is saying something. The Answer scene at the end was also done well, and really was all I ever wanted from it. Ep 25, I love you to death~

The rest of UBW isn't at that level of quality, but it certainly isn't bad at all. The fights, needless to say, were orgasmic, with Archer vs Lancer Round 2 as my personal highlight. Rho Aias' animation was very well done, and the sound effects in that fight were spot-on.

Shirou vs Archer was somewhat hit-or-miss at first, with the Emiya 2015 BGM teaser, but after Last Stardust kicked in everything else was perfect.

Comedic scenes were also done to my satisfaction throughout the two cours. Nothing much to say except that they brought me back to the first time I played the VN. The characters look crisp and well-drawn, reminiscent of the VN itself, far better than what DEEN and Silver Link offer, which is one thing I'll appreciate forever.

Alright, down to the criticisms I have for UBW. It certainly isn't perfect when it comes to some fight scenes. For example, Gil vs Berserker was constantly interrupted by Illya's backstory, which I thought could be presented in one go, instead of placing parts of it in between the fight. There's also the Ever-Present Feeling remix - or lack thereof - which I'll be (unreasonably) sore on. A few frames look lazily done, though I would have to actually look for them, so I'm not too miffed there. Dolphin mana transfer, as predicted, was bad. But it wasn't like I was realistically expecting anything more. And of course, the constant Emiya 2015 teasing. Ufo pls, don't do this to me again, do you know how much I suffered? :V

Anime-original scenes ranged from decent to "holy shit I love you ufo". Caster's Master's scenes were rather meh for me, but ufo made it up by giving us the Shinji scene, meido slaughter scene, and the entirety of Ep 25. What more could I ask for?

People also shouldn't forget about how almost every scene is beautifully drawn in this anime. Just look at Fuyuki in Episode 0, or London in Episode 25. Or the Emiya Mansion or the Einzbern Castle. Or heck, anything. Some take it for granted that Ufotable would accomplish something like this, but I would take a step back, compare this to other anime, and take a minute to fully enjoy the effort that the animators have put into every frame.

All in all, I'll give UBW an objective score of 9/10, but this is UBW. There's no room for "objective" scores for me. My enjoyment rating would be off the scales and through the roof. So, fittingly, I would give it a 10/10. Sure, it isn't the best thing since sliced bread (or Steins;Gate), but it's still bloody good. With that said, it certainly has raised the bar in terms of animation and CGI quality in anime.

Thanks Ufotable, you crazy bastards. Thanks for this amazing anime. now hurry up and do HF already
Dec 16, 2015 8:03 AM

Sep 2014
gabrielrroiz said:

I call Fate/Zero edgy, and yet still like it a lot and think it's better than UBW.

OT:

I don't know. It sometimes bothers me, while in other cases I don't mind it or even like it. Many anime try to be smart about the gore and fail to do so (like Elfen Lied). Then it's definitely bad. But if it's just used in simple action, then it can be pretty cool. The bloody fights of Hellsing Ultimate are awesome.
Dec 16, 2015 8:06 AM
Jul 2018
It really depends. It doesn't inherently make something bad.
Dec 16, 2015 8:13 AM

Jun 2015
Feel the edge! I'm putting this as a desktop background
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

38 by weebtoge »»
8 minutes ago

» What cartoon did you come to learn was actually anime

JaniSIr - Yesterday

22 by Darion_Phoenix »»
10 minutes ago

» Best anime of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 8 hours ago

36 by Entity72 »»
11 minutes ago

» Most attractive seiyuus?

Mattenan - 40 minutes ago

4 by weebtoge »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998

Iron_Leopard - Yesterday

32 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.