Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 28, 2015 7:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that was kinda interesting. We get action with a lot of pain and blood. Poor Gazef ....and he gets set up in a trap.

And again, I liked how Madhouse depicted the violence for the episode.

Climatic moment is when Momonga kicked major ass wit his abilities. And to be honest, I thought it was quite impressive. That black hole ability though...and this transformation. Holy hell...

Jul 28, 2015 7:33 AM

Oct 2013
Aaannnd let the misunderstanding begin!

Pity it wasn't shown what was done to the Slane Theocracy mages. I'm hoping they'll show it later on but I suppose that level of gore and violence is not suitable for TV.

For that matter, seems like a lot of smaller important details were left out. Don't get me wrong, this wasn't a bad episode. Just a lot more shounen-fied with the omissions, which I understand in a visual medium like an anime but ... I'm a bit disappointed.
OpalMidgeJul 28, 2015 7:45 AM
Jul 28, 2015 7:54 AM

Jun 2013
OpalMidge said:

Pity it wasn't shown what was done to the Slane Theocracy mages. I'm hoping they'll show it later on but I suppose that level of gore and violence is not suitable for TV.

For that matter, seems like a lot of smaller important details were left out. Don't get me wrong, this wasn't a bad episode. Just a lot more shounen-fied with the omissions, which I understand in a visual medium like an anime but ... I'm a bit disappointed.

it's more of a fault on screen writer & storyboard writer's part. It is the same guy who worked on mahouka & SAO anime. Not surprising imo
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Jul 28, 2015 8:16 AM
Mar 2012
OpalMidge said:

But it wasnt shown what they did to the mages in the ln either right? wasnt it like 'be quiet and you will die painless' and then the ln goes to gazef and the village?

Actually wasnt it shown in a later volume? or the epiloque.
Jul 28, 2015 8:18 AM

Apr 2008
Warbandit18 said:
OpalMidge said:

But it wasnt shown what they did to the mages in the ln either right? wasnt it like 'be quiet and you will die painless' and then the ln goes to gazef and the village?

Forgetting the Neuronist scene shift eh
Jul 28, 2015 8:25 AM
Mar 2012
Darklight0303 said:
Warbandit18 said:

mm ok but they only said he was send to the neuronist and the frozen prison. Nowhere was depicted what happened to them in detail only that Ainz wanted to do expirements with the corpses. If they left that out that is a pretty dumb mistake cause it gets repeated in later volumes.
Jul 28, 2015 8:36 AM

Mar 2014
I was going make a webm of the epic battle scene but more than half the episode is one amazing battle.

10/10 episode.
Jul 28, 2015 8:53 AM
Jul 2015
Guy, don't forget that there is an extra chunk after ED this episode, make sure you don't miss it. :D
Jul 28, 2015 8:54 AM

Apr 2008
Ashford_Thunder said:
Guy, don't forget that there is an extra chunk after ED this episode, make sure you don't miss it. :D

Ohohoh really?
Jul 28, 2015 9:01 AM

Apr 2014
at least madhouse didn't cut whole battle scene if only angels have blood vessel.

some detail can still explain at one time with next arc.
Jul 28, 2015 9:01 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The death knight last episode got me more excited tbh. Kind of a letdown again.

Ains is a bit too OP for my taste, i hope that changes soon.
Jul 28, 2015 9:02 AM

Jan 2012
Well that was pretty much a one sided slaughter, but still fun to watch! :D
Jul 28, 2015 9:06 AM

Jun 2014
Ains Ooal Gown showing how OP he is against Captain Nigun and his forces. Hopefully a stronger enemy appears soon...
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 28, 2015 9:06 AM

Apr 2008
Smudy said:

LOL no
Jul 28, 2015 9:10 AM

Jul 2014
Smudy said:

You should drop this, if you can't handle the opness lol.
Jul 28, 2015 9:12 AM
Mar 2012
Smudy said:

You should probably drop this cause u will probably only like only 2 episodes for this season starting from this and including if this gets a second season.
Jul 28, 2015 9:13 AM

Apr 2014
Smudy said:

if you plan to watch one punch man next season i highly recommend drop that too lol.
neolucamanJul 28, 2015 9:17 AM
Jul 28, 2015 9:15 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
I knew Ains wasn't a complete heartless bastard to just let Gazef die. The moment he appeared before Nigun and his armies, it was all over for them. Pretty hilarious how he one-shotted even their strongest trump card. Friggin' OP AF!
Smudy said:

Well, he's an Overlord after all. I wouldn't expect any less of him.

Jul 28, 2015 9:15 AM

Apr 2008
People hoping the OP'ness train ever stops. Oh you adorable innocent little lambs.
Jul 28, 2015 9:20 AM

Aug 2010
Smudy said:

Ainz's OPness has just begun. They didn't explain it perfectly but that Angel at the end was supposed to be legendary in strength. And since Gazef is supposed to be the strongest swordsman in his Kingdom, don't really go hoping for many stronger people :P

I wish they left in the explanations for Slaine's six scriptures and the weapons and the stuff about the Demon lord...etc That was some awesome world building in the LN...

Oh well, it is possible they can add it later on.

I liked this ep anyway, Ainz owning those guy like that was so much fun. Utterly destroyed! Loved the VAing.

Ainz's evil laugh and Nigan's fear shitting his pants was depicted really well. Props to Koyasu ^^
Jul 28, 2015 9:22 AM

Jun 2013
Albedo's face was like a happy puppy after the fight lol
Jul 28, 2015 9:32 AM

Mar 2012
Hmm So Ains is op in this World not surprised and if they consider that Angel to be a god legendarily monster..there are not going to be much of enemies that can truly go against him....Ains has the capability of using Rank 10 mangic + Overrank magic....That Angel was just a rank 7 or equviliant ot a level 60 monster going against Ains who is a level 100 monster.

so yeah the only real threat to Ainz or Nezerick in general is either they meet with another fully level player who was also transported from yggdrasil into this world...or go against a level 100 or above monster or NPC which again is almost unlikely.

I find the concept rather curious though cause unlike SAO or LH were you had players trapped or transported into the game world...this world is a world entirely different that is in reverse.

which is that Things that were in the game world are being transported into the real world....in which case is not earth but another world entirely.

That already shows the difference between those two as well as the huge amount of violence and gore and the different characters and there traits...so i wish people could stop comparing this to that...they are different.
Jul 28, 2015 9:48 AM

Dec 2014
Another great episode. The legend of Ains Ooal Gown has just begun, friends. I wish it could have been pointed out just how powerful that Angel was. That thing was capable of destroying the Demon Lords in this world's past. Supposed to be an entity of unrivaled strength capable of using magic that is beyond human capability and largely knowledge. An absolute trump card the Slaine Theocracy had to use. And Ains took it's attack while laughing. I love this series.

The after ED scene, though. Nazarick, please, begin your conquest! >:D
Jul 28, 2015 9:49 AM
Oct 2014
HHHHHNNGGGGGGGHH
As an LN reader, i am pleased. Good job madhouse.
Jul 28, 2015 9:50 AM

Mar 2014
Gazef's fight was really cool, really really nice, I don't know how to describe it but the balance and execution in that fight was just perfect, I hope we get more badass human characters like him or that he shows up again.
Didn't know MC was this OP so it got kinda exciting, and he probably hasn't shown the full extent of his power at all yet so I imagine fights later on will still be pretty exciting when the enemy start becoming stronger (if they become stronger).

Alas, next episode will probably be boring.
Jul 28, 2015 10:01 AM

Jan 2014
I had goosebumps.
5/5

Want to see someone actually challenging Ains. But this is probably going to be a lot later in the series.
Jul 28, 2015 10:01 AM

Feb 2014
THAT WAS AWESOME!!
I love Momonga, or should I say, Ains Ooal Gown. He is so op, but it's so amusing to watch him, damn.

Albedo is awesome too, especially when she goes full yandere mode, like she did at the end.
Jul 28, 2015 10:04 AM

Dec 2012
Oh Albedo. You always complete the show with your love for Momonga.
Jul 28, 2015 10:06 AM

Sep 2014
a bit disappointed because Albedo wasnt allowed to have fun :D

can someone post a picture of her reaction after the battle? :D
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jul 28, 2015 10:09 AM

Jul 2009
Wow this was better than I expected, the only sad part was not being able to see the animation about what happened to Nigan.

Gazef was outstanding to see, he is such great bastard charging towards the enemy.

6/5 will watch again.
Jul 28, 2015 10:11 AM

Jun 2013
Yes.Brutality was only censored little...blood was flowing and brutality was showing!

Oh, that Head priest...talk arrogantly like that...but when Momoga/Ainz is going to arrive....well, I think things that you are going to start to say are more like of the Begging!!! XD

The Massacre Starts...X) X3 Pissed off wrong Person...Village is under Ains/Ainz protection and they tried to slaughter them. Bye-Bye Slane Theocracy Soldier-Priests.

...Lol...The Momoga's reaction to So called "Strongest Angel" ...this low level Weakling Angel caused me to get under Guard? lol...I think he got pissed off when it was revealed...O_O ...tough I think Albedo was Even More Pissed off...damn her Reaction of Ainz taking damage...those Poor Bastards...may their God be merciful their Souls...because Ainz and Co will not

and this is World Domination Conquest Start..at least for Guardians and underlings...I wonder what kind king would Ains Be...cruel to humans?
JarjaxleAug 2, 2015 3:06 PM
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Jul 28, 2015 10:22 AM

Jul 2015
I was expecting Madhouse to animate a bit of what happened to Nigun. Maybe it is too much information for one episode. I hope they will explain somehow next episode.

Loved Albedo reactions.
Jul 28, 2015 10:25 AM

Jan 2014
Damn...Albedo doesnt even need facial expressions to express her feelings so clearly....

She pretty much lost her shit after the fight tho...Definitely AOTS for me...Its like a not-boring Log Horizon
LoneWizzyJul 28, 2015 10:31 AM
Jul 28, 2015 10:27 AM

Jul 2014
Wow. I knew that Ains Ooal Gown would be OP, but I didn't expect him to annihilate those Slane theocracy guys while laughing. The execution of that entire scene, especially Ains' insanely awesome powers, was magnificent, and I like how it left it to the audience's imagination what Ains did to those guys after defeating their trump card with such ease.

That scene after the credits was pretty cool as well.
Jul 28, 2015 10:34 AM
Oct 2011
Jet_Blackhazel said:
OpalMidge said:

it's more of a fault on screen writer & storyboard writer's part. It is the same guy who worked on mahouka & SAO anime. Not surprising imo
Yup thought the same as well.While I didn't dislike the episode it definitely felt stale with omitted explanations and additional world building."Shounen-fied" feels about right.
Ah and one more thing I noticed was how they made it look like Gazeff trusted Ainz completely. They portrayed it like they were some old friends or something, while leaving out small arguments and how Gazeff was quite suspicious of him.
Jul 28, 2015 10:37 AM

Mar 2009
Warbandit18 said:
Darklight0303 said:

mm ok but they only said he was send to the neuronist and the frozen prison. Nowhere was depicted what happened to them in detail only that Ainz wanted to do expirements with the corpses. If they left that out that is a pretty dumb mistake cause it gets repeated in later volumes.
Few of the things that happen to them is explained a bit later but I cant post here cause spoilers.
I think its around Vol.3 or 4 when they talk about it again.

Anyways great episode, ln fans were waiting for this fight to come.
The adaption is sticking to whats necessary imo. No need to waste even a minute of a 13 episode adaption on mindless gore.
Jul 28, 2015 10:37 AM

Dec 2014
Jul 28, 2015 10:40 AM

Nov 2014
I have never read the LN but how many fucking Spells does Papa Bones have ?
Jul 28, 2015 10:44 AM

Mar 2014
OpalMidge said:
What is there to misunderstand?
Jul 28, 2015 10:44 AM

Mar 2009
royaldocks said:
If I remember correct he was talking about it being
Jul 28, 2015 10:45 AM

Jul 2014
I lol'ed at Albedo's reaction after the fight, That praise by her was great.
The episode is so far so good, Damn Ains Ooal Gown is a literally God. Even that high ranked Angel can't do shit to him.

I hope the next episode is going to better than his.

Jul 28, 2015 10:52 AM

Oct 2013
Paulo27 said:
OpalMidge said:
What is there to misunderstand?

Demiurge misunderstood Papa Bones' intentions. He told all the other Guardians that Ainz wants world domination when he was joking when he said it.

Ha ha. Ainz never thought he would be taken seriously.

Vudis said:
royaldocks said:

No, Ainz has
OpalMidgeJul 28, 2015 11:08 AM
Jul 28, 2015 10:52 AM

Jan 2013
i usually hate the OP mcs but since that is the point i wont complain
Jul 28, 2015 10:53 AM
Jul 2018
Nice to see how Ains owned Nigun and his armies.
Jul 28, 2015 10:55 AM

Nov 2014
Vudis said:
royaldocks said:

damn... how is that even possible in a MMo lol ? But I guess in their MMo its normal to have hundreds of spells
royaldocksJul 28, 2015 10:59 AM
Jul 28, 2015 10:57 AM

Mar 2015
Momonga had a nice ring to it. Ains is okay though I guess.
Jul 28, 2015 11:01 AM

Apr 2013
wish albedo was a more interesting character and not just obsessed with ains

pretty good episode.
Jul 28, 2015 11:01 AM

Aug 2008
royaldocks said:
Vudis said:

damn... how is that even possible in a MMo lol ?

[spoiler]Actually the max spells a normal player could learn was 300. However yes thousands of spells did exist close to 6000. Ains due to a special skill he could learn up to 718. According to the wikia anyhow but I'm fairly confident in this info.[/spoiler

Fun tip
IazrienJul 28, 2015 11:11 AM
Jul 28, 2015 11:03 AM

Apr 2008
Swaggercandy said:
Momonga had a nice ring to it. Ains is okay though I guess.

Momonga is a squirrel type >_>
Jul 28, 2015 11:04 AM

Feb 2013
I enjoyed it very much. I really like this Main character 0.o. So far my favourite this season
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2015

242 by jesuscris01 »»
Jun 16, 11:49 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

370 by HayiaSarah »»
Jun 13, 8:23 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2015

240 by MrList »»
Jun 13, 4:44 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

433 by BlackSummoner826 »»
May 30, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2015

283 by RayousSR »»
Apr 23, 12:28 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.