25.7%
I've never seen this show
2.0%
In between
5.4%
979 votes
Oct 16, 2014 8:23 PM
Oct 2014
I seriously don't understand why. I've actually been trying to grasp it, but I don't understand why people think AoT is overrated. If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine, but I don't think this show is overrated. I don't think it's the best either, but it's certainly very good and pretty amazing. On all of the arguments they make, I can make a counterargument easy.

1. Eren's titan form being an asspull? No it's not, there are hints to it such as the injection from Grisha, after hitting his head while training there was steam rising from it (and he heals in like an hour), and the titan's fighting form were all hints.
2. Nothing ever happens? Seriously? Having a thousand questions in a show, finding out a lot of the answers to these questions, having tons of characters die, and character development, qualify as nothing happens?
3. Eren is weak. Weak does not equal to bad main protagonist, and his philosophies and interesting themes make him a good protagonist and an interesting one because he's flawed and often his decisions aren't correct.
4. No character development: There's actually going to be a ton in the second season and a lot already in the manga. The first does have some too with Eren, Jean, and Armin. He has a ton of regret in the first season at the end, starts to hesitate and learns the taste of failure. The only character I would actually say is static even up to date, is Mikasa.
5. No main characters die: Well, just about no show has their main characters die until the end or unless they can be revived, so you really shouldn't complain about that.

TLDR? I countered just about every common argument I could find out there.

Tbh, I think this show/manga deserves much of the hype. The only thing I can really say for the haters is yes, I agree that it's not the best, because best is a subjective term. However, it's a pretty amazing show.
TyrelMar 3, 2016 5:29 PM
I say what's on my mind; Don't take it personally, I am probably just drunk. This way you'll always know I'm being honest, even on the Internet.

I'm a diehard shipper of Eren x Mikasa and Tenma x Nina.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 16, 2014 8:32 PM
Oct 2013
Well is not everyone says that Shingeki no Kyojin is overrated it depends on each person, cause everyone has different opinion.

Well Eren is not really that weak tbh.

Well ofc there is Main characters that dies in anime like
Oct 16, 2014 8:35 PM

Aug 2014
it is not, they think it's overrated bcoz their fav anime got less score than AOT
AbhishantzOct 16, 2014 8:40 PM
Oct 16, 2014 8:37 PM
Oct 2014
Yasewang said:
Well is not everyone says that Shingeki no Kyojin is overrated it depends on each person, cause everyone has different opinion.

I said that main characters do die in anime, just not in the beginning usually or in the middle. If they do die in anime then it's in the end like

[/quote]
I say what's on my mind; Don't take it personally, I am probably just drunk. This way you'll always know I'm being honest, even on the Internet.

Oct 16, 2014 8:37 PM

May 2013
You wish to know why, sir? I have done some thinking about it and people will hate on overrated things. Then sometimes fans make them hate it too. Shouldnt be worrying about why some aren't fans of Attack on Titan :p Soon there will be a ecchi spin-off called Attack on Tits where big breast girls charge through the gates and kill people either from smothering them to death or they die from blood loss (nosebleed). Ooooopsss off topic so sorry.

Lets go over a few things shall we? :D Eren vows to kill every titan, that sort of sounds like something cliche like Light Yagami yelling out the window he'll kill every criminal or Ichigo Kurosaki wanting to kill every hollow. OK thats all I can come up with :)) Its up to you if you decide Attack on Titan fits in with the big cast like FMA, Code Geass, Death Note. (The ones almost everyone seen) or if it goes to bottom of pile.
Oct 16, 2014 8:38 PM

Apr 2014
I personally am a huge fan of AOT and I don't think its that overrated.

But to answer your question simply, anything that gains a large amount of popularity will be called overrated by a large group of people. Whether in anime, television, film, or what have you, this seems to be inevitable.
Oct 16, 2014 8:47 PM
Oct 2014
tobi9790 said:
You wish to know why, sir? I have done some thinking about it and people will hate on overrated things. Then sometimes fans make them hate it too. Shouldnt be worrying about why some aren't fans of Attack on Titan :p Soon there will be a ecchi spin-off called Attack on Tits where big breast girls charge through the gates and kill people either from smothering them to death or they die from blood loss (nosebleed). Ooooopsss off topic so sorry.

Lets go over a few things shall we? :D Eren vows to kill every titan, that sort of sounds like something cliche like Light Yagami yelling out the window he'll kill every criminal or Ichigo Kurosaki wanting to kill every hollow. OK thats all I can come up with :)) Its up to you if you decide Attack on Titan fits in with the big cast like FMA, Code Geass, Death Note. (The ones almost everyone seen) or if it goes to bottom of pile.

That's just the thing, I'm not so sure it would be overrated so I'm not sure why people are hating on it. I guess the fanbase can be obnoxious though at times (no offense to anybody here), but I don't think anyone should treat a show more or less than what it is. AoT is a very great show, but it's not the best. Tbh, I watched FMA, Code Geass, and Death Note, and I thought they were great, but not the best. For me the best will probably be Naowi Urasawa's Monster, a not so watched anime, but very amazing thriller if you've ever seen it. Bakashift's got a great review on it.

Also about Eren yelling about killing every titan, I think just about anybody would be pissed if somebody destroyed your home, killed your mom, and destroyed your dreams of visiting the outside world and there was not a thing you could do about it. It's also ironic with the fact that

[/quote]

Oct 16, 2014 8:48 PM
Oct 2013
TSmasher said:
Yasewang said:

I said that main characters do die in anime, just not in the beginning usually or in the middle. If they do die in anime then it's in the end like

[/quote]

my bad should have read it more clearly (*´▽`*)
Oct 16, 2014 8:49 PM

Dec 2012
With great popularity comes great responsibility. I think it's a bit overrated myself though even though I'm a fan.
Oct 16, 2014 8:51 PM

Nov 2011
If AoT is overrated... what is Gintama?
I luv u
Oct 16, 2014 8:53 PM

Nov 2013
They call it overrated cause their favorite anime isn't praised highly enough.

Oct 16, 2014 8:53 PM
Oct 2014
rothrock said:
With great popularity comes great responsibility. I think it's a bit overrated myself though even though I'm a fan.

I actually agree, but only simply because of the fact that some of the fanbase acts like it's the best show in the world (and it is a very good show). However, other than those types of fans who act like nothing else but AoT is good I think it's an amazing show and I cannot see where the hate comes from other than people who have never watched it or people who think the Big 3 is all that matters (and are angry at AoT for stealing their crowns).

Oct 16, 2014 8:59 PM

Oct 2013
What annoys me the most is hearing people saying attack on titan is a brainless action show, with no story.

Ugh!
Oct 16, 2014 9:29 PM
Oct 2014
keragamming said:
What annoys me the most is hearing people saying attack on titan is a brainless action show, with no story.

Ugh!

It is possibly because some rarely think about the philosophy within the story, or they rarely question the plot, or they didn't see the

PS Glasses Krista is so kawaii~!

Oct 16, 2014 11:48 PM

Aug 2012
It deserves its praise but not the "Best show ever".
Oct 16, 2014 11:51 PM

Dec 2013
Because AoT is popular, and popular stuff gets over-criticized by defalt.

There's also the fact that different people hold different opinions.

Why can't people stop making these threads?
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Oct 16, 2014 11:52 PM

May 2013
Because SNK is not perfect, it has its flaws and such.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Oct 17, 2014 12:00 AM

Jan 2009
its good but i agree its overrated because to me it did not deliver much action its only a direct copy of the manga, i mean for a series that are about titans and wars against them it barely has those, at least naruto shippuuden pull out some manga chapter adaptation that increases the action scenes 10 times, and the pacing is too slow for me, they just animated like 1 chapter per episode so its one of the reason of the slowness, the story is great though
Oct 17, 2014 12:08 AM

Apr 2014
Because they think they're hipsters
Oct 17, 2014 7:28 AM
Oct 2014
j0x said:
its good but i agree its overrated because to me it did not deliver much action its only a direct copy of the manga, i mean for a series that are about titans and wars against them it barely has those, at least naruto shippuuden pull out some manga chapter adaptation that increases the action scenes 10 times, and the pacing is too slow for me, they just animated like 1 chapter per episode so its one of the reason of the slowness, the story is great though

I am tired of hearing about the big three, esp. since I don't think they're good at all, but each to their own I suppose (and yes, unlike many other people who dislike the Big 3, I do follow it since Naruto and One Piece were amongst my first manga and anime and I wish for some closure).

Oct 17, 2014 8:34 AM

Jun 2014
I find this show to be great. Interesting premise, blood pumping action, nice themes, great animation in the second cour, eargasmic sound tracks etc. I don't judge it for not having enough character development, world building and answers to questions because this is just the first season and couldn't have done all that. I like Eren; his determination and ideologies, although I found his reaction in episode 6 to be a bit unrealistic for a kid. The strength of a character sounds like a stupid reason to dislike the character in my opinion.
Oct 17, 2014 9:18 AM
Oct 2014
Agafin said:
I find this show to be great. Interesting premise, blood pumping action, nice themes, great animation in the second cour, eargasmic sound tracks etc. I don't judge it for not having enough character development, world building and answers to questions because this is just the first season and couldn't have done all that. I like Eren; his determination and ideologies, although I found his reaction in episode 6 to be a bit unrealistic for a kid. The strength of a character sounds like a stupid reason to dislike the character in my opinion.

I dunno, the world building is pretty insane in the first 5 episodes. I think that it's such a great world that they've built in only those episodes, and a lot of interesting questions and themes are raised in the first season alone. There is a bit of character development in the first season, but the character development mostly happens in what will be the second season (probably up to chapter 60ish in the manga), and of course there's a lot of answers to be had in that season.

Oct 17, 2014 9:22 AM

Dec 2012
No offense but that's kinda of a dumb question. People who watch something that doesn't match their expectations or high expectations given by it's fanbase will find it overrated, or if they watch something and they don't think it's as good as it's ranking suggest.
Oct 17, 2014 9:23 AM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:
No offense but that's kinda of a dumb question. People who watch something that doesn't match their expectations or high expectations given by it's fanbase will find it overrated, or if they watch something and they don't think it's as good as it's ranking suggest.

We agree for the first time, studecimo.
Oct 17, 2014 9:26 AM

Feb 2013
Is overrated because is popular, duh

Oct 17, 2014 9:26 AM

Dec 2012
-Klad- said:
tsudecimo said:

No, that's incorrect.

It doesn't really matter either way..
Oct 17, 2014 9:27 AM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:
-Klad- said:

No, that's incorrect.

How is having the same thought as you incorrect?
Oct 17, 2014 9:27 AM

Oct 2014
It's true that it seems overrated at first. Maybe the anime is, I don't know. Although the colors, animation and pretty much everything else are really great!

But if you haven't read the manga, go ahead and give it a try! I've been stubborn up until now and never really had the patience to read manga in general, but Shingeki No Kyojin was... epic (and that's still not good enough to describe it). The story is really great and it has quite a few unique features that I totally fell in love with. Although the characters may be classic, Isayama Hajime managed to bring them to life (at least in my mind).

So, I personally don't think that it's overrated. ^^
Oct 17, 2014 9:33 AM

Dec 2012
-Klad- said:
tsudecimo said:

No, that's incorrect.

This being our first agreement of something is what's incorrect.
Oct 17, 2014 9:38 AM

Jan 2013
tsudecimo said:
-Klad- said:

This being our first agreement of something is what's incorrect.

Ah, you remember our agreement that Obito is great.
Oct 17, 2014 10:46 PM

Jun 2014
From my experiences of discussing anime with many people with different tastes from both online and in my personal life, I have found that the majority of reasons why people hate on AoT/SnK and call it "overrated" are because they are either butthurt that their own favorite anime isn't rated as high or as successful, or they simply love to hate it because it is popular. I once knew a guy who only watched the first five episodes and decided to drop it because it was higher rated than Neon Genesis Evangelion. Also, I had a friend who once dropped the series after watching the first few minutes because it was "boring." To sum it up, a lot of people love to hate on this series simply because it has been so successful, and we can't have any new series becoming more popular or successful than the "classics" now can we?
La familia es todo.
Oct 18, 2014 2:49 AM

May 2013
TSmasher said:
tobi9790 said:

That's just the thing, I'm not so sure it would be overrated so I'm not sure why people are hating on it. I guess the fanbase can be obnoxious though at times (no offense to anybody here), but I don't think anyone should treat a show more or less than what it is. AoT is a very great show, but it's not the best. Tbh, I watched FMA, Code Geass, and Death Note, and I thought they were great, but not the best. For me the best will probably be Naowi Urasawa's Monster, a not so watched anime, but very amazing thriller if you've ever seen it. Bakashift's got a great review on it.

Also about Eren yelling about killing every titan, I think just about anybody would be pissed if somebody destroyed your home, killed your mom, and destroyed your dreams of visiting the outside world and there was not a thing you could do about it. It's also ironic with the fact that

[/quote]

You have a good argument and I see what you mean. I watched Monster a looong time ago it was very interesting but need to rewatch someday. Weelllll its a given fact that the BEST anime does not exist. whyy? everyone has different likes and dislikes and see things differently. thats why thers no best anime but there are darn good animes. attack on titan i must say is doing a gooood job getting non-anime fans attentions and bringing them to the world of anime.

as for this part, good point. :D it still has some cliche like look at many animes where they have characters that have bad pasts their parent or parents are dead or something. and then eren is somehow the ultimate power that will save the world being half and half. sooooo yeah it has cliches, not perfect animation but good anime? sure.
Oct 18, 2014 4:59 AM
Oct 2014
tobi9790 said:
TSmasher said:

You have a good argument and I see what you mean. I watched Monster a looong time ago it was very interesting but need to rewatch someday. Weelllll its a given fact that the BEST anime does not exist. whyy? everyone has different likes and dislikes and see things differently. thats why thers no best anime but there are darn good animes. attack on titan i must say is doing a gooood job getting non-anime fans attentions and bringing them to the world of anime.

as for this part, good point. :D it still has some cliche like look at many animes where they have characters that have bad pasts their parent or parents are dead or something. and then eren is somehow the ultimate power that will save the world being half and half. sooooo yeah it has cliches, not perfect animation but good anime? sure.[/quote]

Yeah I understand. It's not a perfect anime/manga but it's certainly very good and it's just within my belief that it deserves much of the hype that it's been getting. I try to be honest about my thoughts and my reviews on anime/manga, and it's one of my pet peeves whenever people are complaining about a topic that they either don't know anything about, or are complaining about problems that don't really seem to exist very much. Also, I should have reworded my sentence about "best", as the word best is subjective. Instead I shall say that to me I found FMA, Code Geass, and Death Note to be enjoyable, but I found Monster to be more enjoyable in my opinion.

Oct 18, 2014 4:18 PM

Jan 2014
Because it is popular.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 18, 2014 9:36 PM

Nov 2012
I think the arguments you've countered are really just nitpicks. Attack on Titan is overrated because the writing is just overall quite weak. Don't get me wrong, I like the show; world building is one of it's strengths, but it's full of stock characters (yeah they get developed, but that development is relatively weak and that doesn't stop them from being stock), unbearably slow pacing at some points (especially during the second half) and just how seriously it takes itself to the point of self parody. I mean you're fighting derpy giant naked dudes - have a bit of self awareness man!
Oct 19, 2014 8:26 AM
Oct 2014
Miraclezify said:
I think the arguments you've countered are really just nitpicks. Attack on Titan is overrated because the writing is just overall quite weak. Don't get me wrong, I like the show; world building is one of it's strengths, but it's full of stock characters (yeah they get developed, but that development is relatively weak and that doesn't stop them from being stock), unbearably slow pacing at some points (especially during the second half) and just how seriously it takes itself to the point of self parody. I mean you're fighting derpy giant naked dudes - have a bit of self awareness man!

Meh, I guess each to their own. I liked some of those "stock characters", I felt some of them were well-developed:
I also thought the writing for the second half wasn't bad, I know some people didn't like the direction that the series was taking with politics, but I actually thought it added depths to the character development and to the story so I was fine with it. We also found out a lot of the mysteries too in this half, so I felt it was actually not "slow-paced" like a lot of people think. The story for something like One Piece, I would consider slow-paced because there are barely any answers in the 800 chapters it has (and yes, I watch and enjoy One Piece, but it doesn't stop it from being slow-paced imo). It feels fast-paced only because of the action in the series. I guess I can't completely argue against the self-parody point, but I actually find most of the titans to be a little more creepy than self-parody. It was actually the reason why I got into the series, because I felt it was a little creepy and the themes were "artsy".

Dec 22, 2014 7:54 PM
Dec 2014
TheCheeseEater said:
From my experiences of discussing anime with many people with different tastes from both online and in my personal life, I have found that the majority of reasons why people hate on AoT/SnK and call it "overrated" are because they are either butthurt that their own favorite anime isn't rated as high or as successful, or they simply love to hate it because it is popular. I once knew a guy who only watched the first five episodes and decided to drop it because it was higher rated than Neon Genesis Evangelion. Also, I had a friend who once dropped the series after watching the first few minutes because it was "boring." To sum it up, a lot of people love to hate on this series simply because it has been so successful, and we can't have any new series becoming more popular or successful than the "classics" now can we?

Too true.
Dec 23, 2014 2:43 PM

Sep 2014
I think it's a very good show and I pretty much marathoned it because it was so compelling to me. But I also think it's overrated because many see past it's flaws and it definitly has some. Just for example:

- pacing issues in the second half
- some wacky reasoning for holding off with the conclusion to questions (typical fault when writing mystery, it's hard to find the right balance)
- reducing Mikasa's text to "Eren" 95 % of the time
- the conversations are subpar/flat at times
- there is a hard contrast in animation between stunningly amazing and pictures

That said, I'm really looking forward to the next season. Although I will wait until it's fully aired because I can't stand watching a show like this weekly.
Dec 24, 2014 9:14 PM

Nov 2014
It's a great show and it easily makes it to my top 5 favorite anime, but the reason many (including myself) say it's overrated is its plot. There isn't any. There's a lot of cliffhangers, and it's a show that'll put you on the edge of your seat. But just sit down for a moment and try to think about what happened in the plot since the series started. Try to think about how much the plot has progressed over the course of 25 episodes, and you'll realize that there was barely any progression at all. And that's a problem that exists with a lot of anime that fall under shounen. That's what made Hunter x Hunter special, in my opinion. It actually had a decent amount of plot progression and wasn't as stretched out or vague as other shounen series.

Just try to think about how this series will end. It's species vs species. How can this series possibly end? Regardless of what they find in the basement (I haven't read the manga, so I don't know) I don't see any way for humanity to somehow exterminate all of the titans, and it probably won't end with the extinction of humanity because that'll be a pretty crappy ending to the series. The only way I can see this series ending is Eren dying.

Character development is another issue. There isn't much character development.
SurphyseDec 25, 2014 11:32 AM
Dec 25, 2014 9:16 AM

Jan 2014
Because they have bad taste.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 25, 2014 10:58 AM

Feb 2014
In my case I didn't actually feel like watching it, it just didn't interest me. But the massive amount of hype made me check it out regardless. Due to all the hype I went in with way too high expectations, so it just left me disappointed. That in turn made it really hard to get into the show. I would probably have enjoyed it far more if it hadn't been so overhyped.

I'm sure there's some reason for the hype though, so I'll probably try re-watching it before season 2 launches. Had the same experience with Steins;Gate, which I loved the second time around.
I rarely revisit threads, so if you're after a reply you should PM me or post a comment on my profile.
Dec 26, 2014 6:45 AM

Mar 2014
The third ''I like dis popular animuh Y do ppl say it overr8ed becuz I dunt think it iz'' thread I see today. Sigh
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 27, 2014 7:10 AM

Mar 2013
The series is pretty good for mainstream anime but it's not as good as people say it is so yes it is overrated.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Dec 27, 2014 7:39 AM
Dec 31, 2014 3:52 AM

Mar 2014
TSmasher said:
Nothing ever happens? Seriously? Having a thousand questions in a show, finding out a lot of the answers to these questions, having tons of characters die, and character development, qualify as nothing happens?
The problem here isn't ''nothing ever happens''. The problem is that the show is repetitive; titans appear, some people die, Eren goes MUST KILL TITANS MUH, Mikasa goes EREN EREN, Armin goes AM SCARED BUT I GOTTA DO IT, some more people die, Eren Mikasa - and later on, Levi - slashes titans, Eren goes titan and kills titans, Mikasa goes EREN EREN and Mikasa/Levi slashes titans. The story becomes very predictable after a while, and that's not how I want my animuh.

TSmasher said:
Eren is weak. Weak does not equal to bad main protagonist, and his philosophies and interesting themes make him a good protagonist and an interesting one because he's flawed and often his decisions aren't correct.
''Philosophies and interesting themes''? He wants to kill titans so he can avenge his comrades and mommy and he blames himself when something goes wrong. That's not what I call ''philosophic thoughts''.

TSmasher said:
No character development: There's actually going to be a ton in the second season and a lot already in the manga. The first does have some too with Eren, Jean, and Armin. He has a ton of regret in the first season at the end, starts to hesitate and learns the taste of failure. The only character I would actually say is static even up to date, is Mikasa.

''A ton in the second season and the manga''. That might be true, but we're talking about Shingeki no Kyojin S1 and not the second season or the manga, so why are you bringing those up?
As for the character development... I'll give you that Jean and Armin develop, but they're literally the only ones. Nobody else did. How am I supposed to care about the others if they have very little to no character development?

TSmasher said:
Tbh, I think this show/manga deserves much of the hype. The only thing I can really say for the haters is yes, I agree that it's not the best, because best is a subjective term. However, it's a pretty amazing show.
It might appeal to the masses. That doesn't change the fact that it is poorly written, rushed and even kind of cliché, and it certainly doesn't make it an amazing show.
Comic_SansDec 31, 2014 5:17 AM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Dec 31, 2014 1:48 PM

Oct 2014
i love this series..but i agree that it's overrated.mainly because shows which were better than SNK didn't recieve even half of its hype
Dec 31, 2014 8:48 PM

Dec 2011
I do think that SNK is overrated. I haven't read the manga, so what my impression of the series is based off of solely the anime's presentation. I think that the first half of season one of SNK (eps. 1-13) were the best. The latter half of the first season, was as stated previously by several other people, very repetitive.

The beginning was promising and very exciting. We had a protagonist who had a purpose to kill the Titans -- revenge or for saving humanity -- and he made a lot of progress in his journey in doing so. The audience is thrown into the world of SNK, and it's exhilarating and enjoyable.

However, the latter half really failed in its deliverance. I had hoped to see more character development, especially concerning Eren's skill and drive. Instead of developing as a character, Eren seems to devolve into a weaker, more indecisive character.

When Captain Levi arrived, I was really excited because I thought there'd be more scenes with Levi training Eren to improve. What we are presented with is a very, very overly revered character who is so unable to protect his comrades.

Comic_Sans said:
As for character devlopment...I'll give you that Jean and Armin develop, but they're literally the only ones

I do have to say that I really grew to respect at least Armin by the end of the first season. He's probably one of my more favorite characters in the entire series. He steps up to the plate and does what needs to be done, including smacking around Eren to wake up and do his job correctly.

The pace of the second half of the show left something to be desired. The show seemed to drag on and on, with more and more people dying unnecessarily. After a while, it was just like, "Oh WOW. ANOTHER person dies. Greeeeat. Now everyone's all angsty over what happens." I almost didn't really care at the end of the Survey Corps' mission (eps 21 or 22?) when the titans came to attack them for the last time when they were collecting bodies to bring home.

I really had high hopes for SNK. But it really just was a huge let down, especially after the great buildup led on by the first half of the series.
⋆-_- ♠
Jan 2, 2015 12:32 AM

Oct 2013
Overrated the word that became meaningless. If you think about it logically. Every series is overrated weather its popular or not. Their is
not a single series in the world that everyone love at the same level therefore ot will fall into the overrated category.

@comic san it seems you are a late bloomer here I've been seen you posting here pretty frequently here. From reading your comments about snk it's painfully abvious that you haven't seen the big picture in this series. Please when watching snk you should always have your thinking hat on your head.

Let me try an enlighten you on the 1st season. At first look snk may look like a simple straight forward series, but if you start thinking and analyzing the series. You will realize that this series is much more deeper and complex than you initially though.

Have you ever wondered what could be the motive of the collosal titan and the armored titan, which armin theorize could be human shifters as well? What are the point of letting titans kill so many people? What are their goal?

Why did the female titan wanted to capture eren? Where do these titan shifters come from?

Why are there titans inside the very Walls that are used to protect the humans? Why did eren father gave his
young child these titan powers?

Where did the titans come from?

These are a few of many interesting questions in the series. Btw all these question were brought up in season 1 of the anime. Just think about these questions, I would really hold my tongue before saying this series is poorly written when you really don't know shit. The 1st season was basically just to introduce you to the plot and characters.

Btw about the lack of character development for certain characters. You said that you're talking about just the 1st season. Well yea you're right. But you should still remember that the anime is an adaption from a manga. Its not like the author had a time traveling machine and be like " oh I better flesh out every character that has a importance in the plot in the first 33 chapters because 3 years from now my series will get an anime adaption" I'm not saying you can't talk negative about the characters but at the same time you have to keep a open mind and rémember that the manga doesn't have seasons in it.

Also about it being repetitive I disagree, but we do have titan shifter in it for a reason plus human vs human fights as well in the 2nd season.

The first half of season 1 introduce us that our main character can tun into titans. The second half shows us that their are others that can turn into titans. Snk is a series that has psychological themes, action, mystery/conspiracy ect. So think again if you think this series is just a action show.

I'm so burn out right now. We are in 2015 now and I'm still have pointless discussion about the 1st season of attack. I need to take some break from the anime adaption.
Jan 2, 2015 12:37 AM
Dec 2014
I found it overrated in the sense that its not a 10/10 or even a 9/10 anime.
The initial episode was interesting to keep me seated through the whole 25 episodes under a single day. I loved the unique production style and the ambitious cgi combined with scintillating action overall.
So why did I end up giving AOT a 7?
Cause of the dialogue.
If someone brings along a highly acclaimed animation "of the century", I expect it to hold to itself the highest of virtues in all areas, including and most especially dialogue. I'm really sensitive to animes that take itself seriously and we can all acknowledge that AOT certainly raised its own bar for that - I just don't think it succeeded in executing multidimensional or layered conversations.

Any producer can hand me a cookie and tell me about how nutritious it is for my body and how the world-class baker who made it for me is an opportunity I don't want to miss but that requires communication. Clear and rich communication. A good example I would take is Steins;Gate. Each vociferated point or assertive gesture can be extracted, examined all within he context of the story.
AOT failed to maintain that kind of richness. I enjoyed it because of the story and almost teared up when Levi's squad were flung around and squashed into ragdolls when facing Annie. But I despised how often I told myself "No shit" when a character mentioned something or when each and almost every character, including Eren continued to (even till the very last episode) trail along in a single-dimensional way of thinking/speaking.

But I suppose the cliched (intentional) mistakes of characters in AOT (many many examples: friends pickup the corpse of their friend and 1 ends up dying; the stupid townspeople feigning peace after 5 years (which had been broken by a 100 year impasse - hellooo - logic); Eren had to go through another eureka moment where he had to realize that he didn't reaaaaally want to believe that Annie was the traitor - which by the way had been discussed before at the HQ; and so on) and the constant, reiterating attempt to "develop" each character into more mature ones by literally killing off everyone who didn't receive special attention from the producers (You don't even need to know that whoever DOESNT look like a protagonist is gonna die, obviously). All of this just kept yakking and eating at my brain, annoying me, besides the dialogue.

Ultimately though, the big idea is this: there's a lot of dying to the point of reason in fighting off the Titans becomes a caricature of itself; and don't you just hate the inhabitants of the people within the walls in general? The commoners or especially the counsel or court people?

I guess killing off Lexi's squad was the final goner for me.
Interestingly enough, I'll be around for AOT 2, I just hope the story compels me enough to sit through rehashed cliches and linear maverick - atleast I won't be taking the show as a serious philosophical, political, and fatalistic allegory anymore.
They offered a great cookie and it turned out to be a bit overcooked: the hardness of the texture sticking to my gum, waiting to be flossed.
huthebackJan 2, 2015 12:47 AM
Jan 2, 2015 12:50 AM

Oct 2013
@comic san. Don't take it personal but you honestly remind me of the casual snk fans. The fans that like the series because of its actions without paying much attention to the story the only difference is that the action didn't impress you. Its like eating just the skin of the mango without getting to the juicy part.

I mention those questions so you can probably see that the story is not as simple as it seems. Anyone reading your comments about this series wouls think snk is just a action gore series like hellsing with any deeper meaning to it.

I'm not trying to convince you to like the series. I just want to make sure you fully understand the 1st season.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1654 by AlocalAnimeFan »»
May 19, 1:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2013

1555 by flimmyjimmy »»
May 19, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2013

921 by _akshatts_ »»
May 12, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

991 by kzen_sno »»
May 10, 10:38 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

VioLink - Apr 20, 2013

851 by ozrodger46 »»
May 6, 7:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.