Forum Settings
Forums

Out of all the anime on your list, which ONE deserves more attention?

New
Jul 23, 2010 2:42 PM

Jun 2007
This topic should be easy enough to understand, but I'm nice enough to break it down for the stupid folk: Name an anime that doesn't have many views/list adds/ratings, even though it's excellent. Simples.

Mine is easy: Les Miserables

Based on one of the most famous novels of all time, with the story edited in such a way that it's paced better and understandable/acceptable for most children (well, more acceptable than the novel, anyway!)

It came out in 2007, 23/52 episodes have been subbed (with HD releases)... and STILL it has a pitiful amount of ratings - something like 160. People flock to HotD like the sheep they are, caring not for writing and characterization, and avoid the likes of Les Mis simply because it doesn't pander to perverts/idiots. Humans are annoying creatures, for sure.

Seeing how unloved Les Mis is makes me far happier about Gankutsuou having the amount of ratings it does!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 23, 2010 2:50 PM

Dec 2007
... I have no idea. I have a lot of old-school goodies.

So I'd say my personal favourite, Rose of Versailles? It is a very important work, but people seem to forget about it.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jul 23, 2010 2:55 PM

Jun 2009
Gunslinger Girl
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2010 2:56 PM

Jun 2007
Like Romeo before it, I plan to watch RoV next because it's taking up space on my HDD. Previously, I'd always been put off by Le Chavvy Don comparisons and its age, but I feel like becoming a more experienced anime fan by watching older anime at the moment; becoming a better person by doing so.

Is it the sort that hooks you in early, or do you think I'll need to give it five to ten episodes before judging it? i so curious

PS: AirStyles fails at life.

Dec 2009
Shigofumi, probably.

Seems like not a lot of people have seen it nor talk about it, even though it's quite tragic and delicious. Aside from the ending of course.

Jul 2010
Soukou no strain
Jul 23, 2010 3:00 PM

Dec 2009
Hmmm imo it's:

Kenko Zenrakei Suieibu Umisho - A series about a swimming team and their funny people x) Very light-hearted with lot of funny moments and a great opening song. Recommend this for those who are after a funny ecchi :)
moflow123Jul 23, 2010 3:14 PM
"I Can't Bear To Lose!"

Jul 23, 2010 3:01 PM

Jun 2007
moflow123 is in dire need of mathematical assistance, I feel.

ONE does not mean TWO. You feel me, bro?
Jul 23, 2010 3:05 PM

Dec 2007
Aironic said:
Like Romeo before it, I plan to watch RoV next because it's taking up space on my HDD. Previously, I'd always been put off by Le Chavvy Don comparisons and its age, but I feel like becoming a more experienced anime fan by watching older anime at the moment; becoming a better person by doing so.

Is it the sort that hooks you in early, or do you think I'll need to give it five to ten episodes before judging it? i so curious

Well, I watched it many times, and most of them on tv, so my view on it is a bit different. Personally, I find it amazing from the very beggining, but at first you don't have most of the really important stuff that drag your emotions around. The series, as shoujo prototype, has a crescendo in emotion and relationships between characters, so judging it only by a couple of episodes would be very unfair.

The times I watched it "normally", one episode after the other, I already knew it well enough to feel it as a continuous story, so I can't really say.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jul 23, 2010 3:14 PM

Nov 2008
Well, it's kind of obvious that I'm going to say Fancy Lala here, because it really does need more attention. It's licensed, yet it has fewer members watching/wanting to watch it than Windy Tales (which also needs more attention from the slice-of-life crowd)? That really is pathetic. At least more people have actually completed Lala despite it being a longer series
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Jul 23, 2010 3:14 PM

Dec 2009
Aironic said:
moflow123 is in dire need of mathematical assistance, I feel.

ONE does not mean TWO. You feel me, bro?

sorry duuude

i'll change it
"I Can't Bear To Lose!"

Jul 23, 2010 3:44 PM

Jun 2008
Nothing on my complete list (nothing I'd call good anyways), but since I only have two plan to watch series, and I only heard them through people recommending it to others, albeit rarely, I guess Juuni Kokuki would be it. There's not much I can say about it except I'm interested enough to put it on my plan to watch, and I've never put anything on my plan to watch like others who seem to have them in the hundreds.
Jul 23, 2010 4:07 PM

Nov 2008
I would say Ristorante Paradiso, for obvious reasons. I premiered in the Spring of last year, was simulcasted on Crunchyroll and Animenewsnetwork, yet people just didn't watch it. It puzzles me since it's not bad at all. In fact, I had gotten few of my friends to watch it, and they all finished it mighty quickly, as I did, and rated it highly, as I did as well.
Jul 23, 2010 4:10 PM

Jun 2009
Comedy, part of Studio 4°C's Sweat Punch

Best spent ten minutes of my life.
Jul 23, 2010 4:21 PM
Jun 2008
Legend of the legendary hero
You have to watch this .It is the most potential Anime in this season .(If you don't believe check in the forum for episode 3 and 4, it has a very positive reaction)
MorningGloryJul 23, 2010 4:29 PM
Jul 23, 2010 4:35 PM

May 2010
Highschool of the Dead!

EDIT: Probably Witch Hunter Robin then, I was joking.
ConfuciusJul 26, 2010 11:40 AM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 23, 2010 4:37 PM

Nov 2008
This isn't Spam, Conficius.
Jul 23, 2010 4:40 PM

Dec 2009
I'd have to say Kaiba, hands down.

Jul 23, 2010 4:55 PM

Apr 2009
One that I adore that isn't terribly popular is Real Drive. It has interesting concepts concerning the mind and how one would go about entering one's conciousness. While it does have an underlying environmental message, and it does have several other minor storylines, it's still pretty good.
Jul 23, 2010 4:57 PM

Feb 2008
Zettai Karen Children. Hilarious show that has superb staff, great voice actors and awesome animation. Yes, it's apparently a shounen but it's not boring and has almost no lolexposition. It chooses to focus on comedy and throw in some mild overarching plot. Tragically under-watched and only fully subbed by Chihiro, before they got all quality on us.
Jul 23, 2010 4:59 PM

Feb 2010
Kaiji. It's pretty popular, but it really deserves more. It should be ranked in the top 10 IMO. It really makes your heart pound.
Jul 23, 2010 5:15 PM

May 2010
I haven't watched much anime yet but one that I have watched that I really liked and that I don't really see mentioned often is Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.
Jul 23, 2010 6:02 PM
Sep 2009
Boogiepop Phantom.

Honestly, can't think of a better horror anime than this, it even puts most live action horror to shame. It has incredible atmosphere, and shocks on so many levels. I can understand people getting turned of because they were confused, but Lain is just as confusing and infinitely more popular.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Jul 23, 2010 6:06 PM
Jun 2010
MorningGlory said:
You have to watch this .It is the most potential Anime in this season .(If you don't believe check in the forum for episode 3 and 4, it has a very positive reaction)

Very true.
And no it not a parody of LOTGH or Code Geass.

Jul 23, 2010 6:22 PM

Oct 2009
Air
Underrated in my opinion. Sure, it may not elaborate on all its points as well as Clannad or Kanon, but it still does a terrific job for what it's presenting.

Jul 23, 2010 6:31 PM

Dec 2008
I'd say Wangan Midnight. It's not masterpiece or anything, but considering the amount of people who watched Initial D (from the same studio and with, somehow, the same plot)... How come only 953 users have ranked it and it has only 2 reviews?

Also, I think Kanon (2006) (remake of the original Kanon in which KyoAni takes over) should be higher ranked. I mean, everyone talks big about Clannad and Clannad ~After Story~ (which I don't hate) but don't even realize where the characters ideas and plot scenarios were taken from. I only see Clannad's both seasons as improved versions of Kanon (2006). In this case the original is the best for me.

Lucjan said:
Air
Underrated in my opinion. Sure, it may not elaborate on all its points as well as Clannad or Kanon, but it still does a terrific job for what it's presenting.
I agree with this as well. For an 13-episode anime it is very well done.

supersayen said:
MorningGlory said:

Very true.
LOL!
Jul 23, 2010 6:34 PM

Feb 2010
Gainax is all the craze, but their earliest (and best IMO) work, Wings of Honneamise, seems overlooked by fans.
Jul 23, 2010 6:52 PM

Apr 2008
The Black Jack OVA

I chose this series by process of elimination, since the anime in my Top Anime list are pretty popular. The Black Jack OVA is a darker treatment of Osamu Tezuka's manga, much like Frank Miller and Christopher Nolan's takes on the Batman universe being a far cry from the campiness of the original comics and TV show. Each episode is based on a chapter in the manga, with each case presenting some sort of moral to teach. It's not as corny as it sounds. In fact, the series very mature in how it handles each lesson (it's also mature in content. Don't watch if you can't handle incredibly realistic depictions of internal organs). I have to admit that the James Bond-esque attraction the female characters have towards the titular doctor are over-the-top, but other than that, this is a great example of how OVAs should be done. It's a shame this series came and went with little fanfare. The manga is huge in Japan, but no one really knows about it in the west. If you can get your hands on the DVDs or wait for a company to pick up the series from the recently-dissolved Central Park Media, I highly recommend this series.
Jul 23, 2010 7:04 PM

May 2009
Watching list:
Sengoku Basara Two
Strike Witches 2
In my opinion, these are two of the best anime of this season. Even if they're sequels, they deserve a lot more attention. People need to watch the first seasons and catch up to these two.

Completed list:
Saraiya Goyou
Probably one of the most overlooked anime from last season, which is a real shame considering it's also one of the best.
stAtic91Jul 23, 2010 7:08 PM
Jul 23, 2010 8:56 PM

Jun 2009
Zahlzeit said:
Shigofumi, probably.

Seems like not a lot of people have seen it nor talk about it, even though it's quite tragic and delicious. Aside from the ending of course.

*raise hand*
Agreed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 23, 2010 9:09 PM

Dec 2008
I'd have to say Tsukikage Ran. It's one of the animes that first introduced me to anime, and I thought it was excellent. While there's not really an underlying plot for the entire anime, I enjoyed each episode. The main lead was awesome, and the fight scenes were really well animated (even though there wasn't any blood most of the time).
Jul 23, 2010 9:12 PM

Apr 2010
Ehhh prbly tonagura
Jul 23, 2010 9:13 PM

Aug 2008
Jyu Oh Sei

Granted it's new-ish but not that new. While it's not the most memorable title out there, the quality is there and is really underrated for how gripping it is as you watch it.
Jul 23, 2010 9:17 PM
Jul 2008
Votom.
Jul 23, 2010 9:18 PM
Jul 2018
big o
Jul 23, 2010 9:25 PM

Dec 2009
Blue Gender
Jul 23, 2010 9:47 PM
Jun 2008
vault2049 said:
supersayen said:
MorningGlory said:

Very true.
LOL!

LOL! Is that what people thinking in their mind about this series??!!
Jul 23, 2010 10:32 PM

Jul 2008
Out of all the movies in my list, I would choose Arashi no Yoru ni. It's such a nice anime to watch after taking a break from a bunch of action series or anything that requires thought. It may seem kind of cheesy, but it's very heart warming.

Out of the TV series, I would like more attention to Kaleido Star. It's not just some silly circus anime.
Jul 23, 2010 10:35 PM

Jun 2009
Shigofumi and Uta Kata,
I enjoy both of them but they are not very popular.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 24, 2010 3:27 AM

Feb 2010
Read or Die OVA. It's rally good sensational anime with great characters and it's begging for more attention.
Sorry for my bad english
Jul 24, 2010 3:45 AM

Jul 2010
Zillion....
Jul 24, 2010 6:14 AM

May 2009
Shion97 said:
Soukou no strain

this
anthonyistosen said:
I'd have to say Kaiba, hands down.

this and
Junkers come here
Jul 24, 2010 6:38 AM

Aug 2009
Suzuka deserves more..
Jul 24, 2010 7:01 AM
Jun 2008
TyG3R said:
Suzuka deserves more..
I like Suzuka ^^
Jul 24, 2010 7:50 AM

Apr 2008
Captain-Z said:
big o

This. But then again, haters are gonna hate...like they've been doing for the past decade or so. :/
Jul 24, 2010 7:07 PM

Jan 2009
Akira, this is especially aimed at the newer crowd who doesn't want to watch old animation. This movie was amazing and deserves to be seen by everyone.
Jul 24, 2010 8:24 PM

Aug 2008
Toaru Majutsu no Index, in my opinion

Jul 24, 2010 8:38 PM

Apr 2010
Lucjan said:
Air

Definitely agree with this, everything about Air was beautiful.
Jul 24, 2010 8:49 PM

Feb 2010
I'll go with Minami-ke. It's like Lucky Star. Funny, and barely has a plot. I don't know about the two sequels, but this is a great anime. It has great characters, a sexy eldest sister, a cross-dressing boy and girl, a couple that humorously always ends up in distress, and most importantly, it has Hosaka! The guy who has the greatest laugh in history and is by far the funniest character (imo) in the anime. The OP song is really catchy too. What more can you want? Well, maybe it could use a little bit more ecchi here and there...

If it already has enough attention, well then I'm sorry for wasting our time... ='(
My second choice would've been Ga-Rei -Zero-. I just chose Minami-ke because I like it more.
"That, Nagato, is what we call emotions."
Jul 24, 2010 9:03 PM

Mar 2009
Now, initially I would have said Princess Tutu except it has over 6000 ratings so I changed me mind to something that could more fairly be called "obscure": Tetstujin 28 [2004], which has less than 100 ratings for some reason. Now, I was originally skeptical too, it was a "remake" of an old old series and most old old series were kinda made to run weekly and for a long time and suffered for it, but if Astro Boy is any indication, their remakes are usually much better. And what a treat Tetsujin 28 was! It asked a lot of questions to make you seriously consider the emotional after consequences of war (while most question the consequences that are happening right then and there, Tetsujin 28 asked 10 years in the future if the war truly ever ended in some people's hearts) but while it asked and charactesr pondered, no one ever came up with a definitive answer, which makes it good to think of on your own too. It just blew me away totally unexpectedly and I wish more people would try to check it out.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime powers you wish you had

ST63LTH - Today

17 by Daviljoe193 »»
3 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 )

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

92 by APolygons2 »»
4 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that. ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Apr 27

90 by JP88 »»
16 minutes ago

» Dumb narcissistic perverts is supposed to be funny?

Ri-KoRin - Yesterday

40 by FanofAction »»
22 minutes ago

» Are European anime settings easier to get into!!!

Afriendlypaw - May 20

26 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.