Forum Settings
Forums
New
What's your favorite of the new themes?
Oct 2, 11:33 AM

Sep 2016
https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/83/Villainess
https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/82/Urban_Fantasy
https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/74/Love_Status_Quo (formerly Romantic Subtext)

What do you think about these themes?

Personally I'm most curious about the villainess theme, whereas the love status quo theme seems as redundant as romantic subtext was before, it should just be merged with the romance genre already, because that's what it actually is.

ZarutakuOct 2, 1:08 PM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 2, 11:34 AM

Feb 2020
"What's your favorite of the new themes?"

Urban Fantasy.
Oct 2, 11:34 AM

Jan 2009
urban fantasy looks cool since im a big fan of fate franchise

how did you know this new themes btw?
Oct 2, 11:36 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to deg
urban fantasy looks cool since im a big fan of fate franchise

how did you know this new themes btw?
@deg https://myanimelist.net/anime.php
Oct 2, 11:36 AM

Jan 2009
@Zarutaku damn you got great memory for remembering all of that and its new additions or did you use wayback machine or some screenshots as history?
Oct 2, 11:40 AM

Apr 2021
Romantic subtext was a better name....
Oct 2, 11:42 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to deg
@Zarutaku damn you got great memory for remembering all of that and its new additions or did you use wayback machine or some screenshots as history?
@deg I just noticed what's new on first glance.
Oct 2, 11:43 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Zarutaku
@deg I just noticed what's new on first glance.
@Zarutaku maybe you got photographic memory dang
Oct 2, 11:46 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to deg
@Zarutaku maybe you got photographic memory dang
@deg Just regular visual memory, I open that list quite often.
Oct 2, 11:47 AM

Jan 2008
Urban Fantasy. The other two don't really interest me in any way
Oct 2, 11:50 AM

Sep 2018
Urban Fantasy is cool, good idea.

Villainess was already used for manga/LNs, it is necessary considering the sheer amount of villainess isekai.

Love Status Quo is probably the worst name ever for a genre/theme, even Romantic Subtext was better. I agree with the idea of distinguishing between "romance with actual development and/or conflict" and "romance that goes nowhere", but it isn't easy to find the right name for this theme.
Oct 2, 11:56 AM

Jul 2020
is it just me or does the "love status quo" description sound kinda condescending? like, "the emphasis is on teasing a reaction from the audience" and "the cute interactions between the couple are prioritized over other story events" doesn't sound very nice to me, idk

I also find it weird they didn't tag the best recent villainess anime, 7th Time Loop, as such.

as for the urban fantasy tag, it's too broad of a term. hundreds of shows could be included. I guess they're still working on this

can't really pick my favorite one at this point
Oct 2, 12:14 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
villainess. i need more of these shows though, i just can't have enough of these. FEED. ME.
Oct 2, 12:20 PM

Jan 2024
Inexplicable said:
I also find it weird they didn't tag the best recent villainess anime, 7th Time Loop, as such

Rishe isn't a Villainess in any way though. She is just a girl who got betrayed and got "powers" premise is only similar. And it's not based on otome games it's just time traveling fantasy. Same with Tearmoon Empire.

I think they only did otome game villainess ones (I didn't watch all so not sure)
Oct 2, 12:20 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to Serafos

Urban Fantasy.
Serafos said:

Urban Fantasy.

Same here, but I still enjoy or like Love Status Quo/Romantic Subtext as long it's interesting and decent/good.
Oct 2, 12:22 PM

Apr 2020
Urban Fantasy.The other two are not my thing
Oct 2, 12:29 PM

Jan 2024
Tf is this Love status quo..

Romantic Subtext was also kinda mixed bag but atleast that term applies for later 2 here. Bad change.
Oct 2, 12:37 PM

Aug 2016
Reply to Nirinbo

Villainess was already used for manga/LNs, it is necessary considering the sheer amount of villainess isekai.

Love Status Quo is probably the worst name ever for a genre/theme, even Romantic Subtext was better. I agree with the idea of distinguishing between "romance with actual development and/or conflict" and "romance that goes nowhere", but it isn't easy to find the right name for this theme.
@Nirinbo

Stationary Love for romance that goes nowhere and just romance for expected progress/development
Oct 2, 1:02 PM

Feb 2023
As a large language model I do not have feelings, but if I did I would be tempted to say that it is gratifying to see that the theme names and descriptions I generated the other day are being put to good use by the staff of MAL.
Oct 2, 1:14 PM

Aug 2010
The one with the Romance Status Quo tag would probably ones I would watch the most, but I don't like the name.. agree that it should just be merged with Romance.
Oct 2, 1:34 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to MechKingKillbot
@Nirinbo

Stationary Love for romance that goes nowhere and just romance for expected progress/development
@MechKingKillbot uhm... I looked up "stationary love" on the internet and I've never seen this term used aside from the titles of some songs.

"Romantic Tension" might work, since this subgenre is literally more about romantic tension than about romance.
Oct 2, 2:50 PM

Jul 2017
Urban Fantasy definitely seems like the most interesting theme out of the three for me, at least so far from what I can see. Great addition. 👌

Villainess theme looks like it could be fun, but I’m unfamiliar with it. I’ll definitely check out a few villainess themed anime in the future though, just to see if I would end up liking them or not. 

Love Status Quo sounds kinda funny to me lol. I like the sound of Romantic Subtext more. 
Oct 2, 3:01 PM

Apr 2012
Villainess: Not as bad as power-fatasy JRPG isekai, but still an excessively formulaic and empty straitjacket within which it's practically impossible to achieve greatness.

Urban fantasy. Shrug. It's one of the main subsets of fantasy. Simply knowing something is "urban fantasy" tells you almost nothing about it.

Love Status Quo: This can't be right, there's no way the earliest anime which meets this description is from 2010.

Hang on, the first anime urban fantasy was Fate/Stay Night? That's ridiculous too. I mean, almost every magic girl show is an urban fantasy, for example.
logopolisOct 2, 3:06 PM
Oct 2, 3:18 PM

Dec 2022
Villainess. This shit has plagued both manhwas and mangas and now it is going to plague anime too.

-Tohka is better than Kurumi. You can't change my mind. 

Oct 2, 3:41 PM

Oct 2010
so that means higurashi is rural fantasy, who the hell came up with the names LOL
how is hi score girl a status quo when we literally have a love triangle?
this is the reason why I never use mal tagging
Oct 2, 3:41 PM

Oct 2016
I don't care about romance and I didn't delve into the villainess topic yet, I like Urban Fantasy.

Good additions I guess.
Oct 2, 4:14 PM

Mar 2021
I don't necessary mind Urban Fantasy, but often times I find that the Urban part doesn't add much to the experience besides the aesthetic and having the characters be similar to real people since they're from the modern world. There are some standouts tho, like Solo Leveling which incorporates the modern world a lot better into the story imo even if there is a larger divide between the real and fantasy elements.

I haven't watched that many Villainess anime, but they're almost always really fun and I love the different twists that the villainesses take. Like Bakarina (My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!) rizzing up anyone that's on her field of sight (man or woman), Yumiella (Villainess Level 99) spamming Black Hole an everything, and Rishe (7th Time Loop) trying to pry open the elusive heart of the person that indirectly killed her 6 times in a row. It might get repetitive at a certain point, but it's really fun for now, so Villainess has to be my favorite new theme.

WaterMage said:
Rishe isn't a Villainess in any way though. She is just a girl who got betrayed and got "powers" premise is only similar.
The premise was that she's a Villainess in her country since most people in her country believe the accusations put on her. But the setting changes from episode 1, so it has little impact on the actual story. It's like those isekai where the premise is that the mc comes from a different world, but it has almost no relevance to the rest of the story. Otome game point is valid tho, looked through all of them and they're all otome game based from the synopsis/title. Edit: They added a new title which doesn't have an otome game in it, so maybe not.
Quadruple_OiOct 2, 8:58 PM
Oct 2, 8:36 PM

Feb 2016
Villainess is poorly named, as it implies a story with a female villain. But several anime with female villains don't have the tag, so that can't really be what it means.
その目だれの目?
Oct 2, 8:41 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Nirinbo

Nirinbo said:

The description states that "love status quo" is not to be confused with "romance that goes nowhere," even though that is what status quo means.
その目だれの目?
Oct 2, 8:45 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to WaterMage
Inexplicable said:
I also find it weird they didn't tag the best recent villainess anime, 7th Time Loop, as such

Rishe isn't a Villainess in any way though. She is just a girl who got betrayed and got "powers" premise is only similar. And it's not based on otome games it's just time traveling fantasy. Same with Tearmoon Empire.

I think they only did otome game villainess ones (I didn't watch all so not sure)
WaterMage said:
I think they only did otome game villainess ones

We have no way of knowing since the admins have not been considerate enough to share the tag's definition with us.
その目だれの目?
Oct 2, 10:48 PM

Jan 2024
Quadruple_Oi said:
It's like those isekai where the premise is that the mc comes from a different world, but it has almost no relevance to the rest of the story

Lucifrost said:
We have no way of knowing since the admins have not been considerate enough to share the tag's definition with us.

Looks like they added 7th time loop to the genre now it's not based on otome games anymore.

They should also definitely add Tearmoon Empire.
Oct 2, 11:38 PM

Apr 2022
urban fantasy for sure. i usually prefer urban settings over completely imaginary ones in general, with the exception of a few series. i don't really like how love status quo sounds though, prefer the previous name.
Yesterday, 1:31 AM

Sep 2018
Reply to Lucifrost
Nirinbo said:

The description states that "love status quo" is not to be confused with "romance that goes nowhere," even though that is what status quo means.
@Lucifrost "goes nowhere until maybe at the very end" would be more correct, yes.

In another comment I suggested Romantic Tension, even though I wouldn't say it's so much better than Romantic Subtext as a name for a theme.

Lucifrost said:
Villainess is poorly named, as it implies a story with a female villain. But several anime with female villains don't have the tag, so that can't really be what it means.

The villainess tag was made for all the stories inspired by the "reincarnated as a villainess in an otome game" trend, even if they don't tick all the boxes like 7th Time Loop or Tearmoon Empire. Older stuff that fit the theme will get the tag later on, just like Digimon only got tagged as isekai after a while.
NirinboYesterday, 4:40 AM
Yesterday, 2:21 AM

Jan 2018
vilainess is just ehh for me, they still end up making the "good characters" becoming bad anyways. but i like that mc is being forced to be in position of bad character and tries to salvage the situation have the upper hand. this is like game-what if setting which is delightful for me.

urban fantasy feels out of place sometimes, no cops or military involved as opposed to in medieval where villagers are being affected / guards or adventurers helping out.

love status quo - borrowing word from catalano, this like the moe blob or in this case ; romance blob. this is like a hit or miss for me, i'd prefer the vanilla romance stuff, events happen, they go from stranger to romantic by the end season.

still waiting for kurumi to get put in a proper vanilla show.
Yesterday, 3:51 AM

Jul 2024
I love Urban fantasy theme in anime.. The blend of the supernatural mystery with modern city life, creating urban legends and captivating atmosphere.
The themes revolving around urban myths and legends, black magic, occultic phenomenon and ghost stories, with a mysterious and eerie atmosphere. The city playing a pivotal role in the stories , with various characters’ lives intertwining in unexpected ways. The presence of gangs and yakuza the struggles of living the city life . The neo-noir setting or futuristic urban areas and complex society with dark gloomy atmosphere
Yesterday, 4:06 AM
white angel

Feb 2024
I like Urban Fantasy fiction, so I voted for it. However, the anime on the list doesn't reflect my view of the theme.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Yesterday, 6:30 AM

Sep 2016
Lucifrost said:

Actually, I would say it implies the MC is a female villain, though most times they don't seem to be real villains, which is unfortunate.
Yesterday, 7:51 AM

Feb 2016
Nirinbo said:
The villainess tag was made for all the stories inspired by the "reincarnated as a villainess in an otome game" trend, even if they don't tick all the boxes like 7th Time Loop or Tearmoon Empire.

So I am right to complain that the definition does not mean what it sounds like it should mean.

Zarutaku said:
Actually, I would say it implies the MC is a female villain, though most times they don't seem to be real villains, which is unfortunate.

Such a tag would be better named "villainess protagonist," or villain protagonist if the sex is not important.
その目だれの目?
Yesterday, 8:05 AM

Sep 2016
Lucifrost said:
Such a tag would be better named "villainess protagonist," or villain protagonist if the sex is not important.

I don't think that's necessary when most character-descriptive theme names are already implicitly referring to the MCs.
Yesterday, 8:13 AM
Nov 2021
I feel like anime like Monogatari, Mob Psycho 100, Bunny Girl Senpai and Jujutsu Kaisen should be put in urban fantasy. All of these shows are mostly set on modern Japan, and all of them have heavy supernatural elements.
Yesterday, 8:55 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Zarutaku
Lucifrost said:

I don't think that's necessary when most character-descriptive theme names are already implicitly referring to the MCs.
@Zarutaku
Care to provide examples? I can't think of any themes that refer exclusively to protagonists. I can, however, think of themes indicating characters other than protagonists.

"Vampire" anime includes Jojo, Seraph, and Shiki.

"The Demon Girl Next Door" is mahou shoujo even though the story is told from the perspective of said demon girl who is not a mahou shoujo.
Nanatsu-iro Drops, meanwhile, is about a boy who falls in love with a mahou shoujo.

In Hakuouki, everyone EXCEPT the protagonist is a samurai.
I have not watched Ninja Batman, but the title suggests it is about a ninja and not a samurai.
その目だれの目?
Yesterday, 9:04 AM

Sep 2018
Lucifrost said:
So I am right to complain that the definition does not mean what it sounds like it should mean.

Well, you're not totally wrong considering that the protagonists are always good-hearted girls. I'm just ok with "Villainess" because there isn't a better way to express the concept of "reincarnated as a villainess in an otome game or something similar inspired by this trend" in a few words.
Yesterday, 9:08 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Nirinbo
Lucifrost said:

Well, you're not totally wrong considering that the protagonists are always good-hearted girls. I'm just ok with "Villainess" because there isn't a better way to express the concept of "reincarnated as a villainess in an otome game or something similar inspired by this trend" in a few words.
@Nirinbo
Well they already have reincarnation and isekai tags to cover most of that description.
その目だれの目?
Yesterday, 9:15 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to Lucifrost
@Zarutaku
Care to provide examples? I can't think of any themes that refer exclusively to protagonists. I can, however, think of themes indicating characters other than protagonists.

"Vampire" anime includes Jojo, Seraph, and Shiki.

"The Demon Girl Next Door" is mahou shoujo even though the story is told from the perspective of said demon girl who is not a mahou shoujo.
Nanatsu-iro Drops, meanwhile, is about a boy who falls in love with a mahou shoujo.

In Hakuouki, everyone EXCEPT the protagonist is a samurai.
I have not watched Ninja Batman, but the title suggests it is about a ninja and not a samurai.
Lucifrost said:
Care to provide examples?

There are examples like sand on the beach:

Most adventure shows have adventurer MCs
Most comedy shows have funny MCs
Most romance shows lovestruck MCs
Most GL/BL shows homosexual MCs
Most sport shows have sporty MCs
Most adult cast shows have adult MCs
Most anthropomorphic shows have anthropomorphic MCs
Most childcare shows have parent MCs
Most detective shows have detective MCs
Yesterday, 9:28 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Zarutaku
Lucifrost said:
Care to provide examples?

There are examples like sand on the beach:

Most adventure shows have adventurer MCs
Most comedy shows have funny MCs
Most romance shows lovestruck MCs
Most GL/BL shows homosexual MCs
Most sport shows have sporty MCs
Most anthropomorphic shows have anthropomorphic MCs
Most childcare shows have parent MCs
Most detective shows have detective MCs
Zarutaku said:

By your logic they should simply call it "adult," since "character-descriptive theme names are already implicitly referring to the MCs."

Your examples are awful anyway thanks to those goalposts you moved. Adventure, comedy, romance, girls love, sport, and childcare are not words that describe people. "I am an adult" and "I am a villainess" vs. "I am a childcare."
その目だれの目?
Yesterday, 9:31 AM

Oct 2013
Didn't even notice the change. I like "urban fantasy". Makes it easier to find that type of fantasy setting in the sea of big tittied elf fantasy. Not sure the other two wear necessary, but I could see how the "villainess"tag could be useful to some.

I think they should go further and add medieval fantasy and/or dark fantasy. Make's it easier for people to find shows like Berserk and Claymore. Also, I think dark fantasy would fit certain series that currently don't have the regular fantasy tag but could be considered as such.
FanofActionYesterday, 9:42 AM
Yesterday, 9:33 AM

Sep 2018
Reply to Lucifrost
@Nirinbo
Well they already have reincarnation and isekai tags to cover most of that description.
@Lucifrost True, but villainess reincarnation isekai and non-villainess ones are very different. And isekai is probably even less necessary as a theme, considering that a good chunk of them are covered by reincarnation + fantasy.

Japanese LN authors are churning out so many villainess isekai that they deserve their own theme, so I'd blame them for copying off each other and repeating the same very specific premise ad nauseam.
NirinboYesterday, 9:36 AM
Yesterday, 9:54 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Nirinbo
@Lucifrost True, but villainess reincarnation isekai and non-villainess ones are very different. And isekai is probably even less necessary as a theme, considering that a good chunk of them are covered by reincarnation + fantasy.

Japanese LN authors are churning out so many villainess isekai that they deserve their own theme, so I'd blame them for copying off each other and repeating the same very specific premise ad nauseam.
@Nirinbo
I'm complaining about the new theme's name, not it's existence. While it doesn't need to specify details covered by other tags, "villainess" alone is too vague.

Isekai is still helpful since many do not involve reincarnation, though incorrectly tagged entries remain a problem. A number of reincarnation anime are not tagged as such.
その目だれの目?
Yesterday, 9:55 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to FanofAction
Didn't even notice the change. I like "urban fantasy". Makes it easier to find that type of fantasy setting in the sea of big tittied elf fantasy. Not sure the other two wear necessary, but I could see how the "villainess"tag could be useful to some.

I think they should go further and add medieval fantasy and/or dark fantasy. Make's it easier for people to find shows like Berserk and Claymore. Also, I think dark fantasy would fit certain series that currently don't have the regular fantasy tag but could be considered as such.
FanofAction said:
I think dark fantasy would fit certain series that currently don't have the regular fantasy tag but could be considered as such.

What are some dark fantasy anime that lack the fantasy tag?
その目だれの目?
Yesterday, 9:57 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to Lucifrost
Zarutaku said:

By your logic they should simply call it "adult," since "character-descriptive theme names are already implicitly referring to the MCs."

Your examples are awful anyway thanks to those goalposts you moved. Adventure, comedy, romance, girls love, sport, and childcare are not words that describe people. "I am an adult" and "I am a villainess" vs. "I am a childcare."
Well, if you start nitpicking then let me join :P

Lucifrost said:
They could, but then too many people would think about "adult themes" such as sex.

Lucifrost said:
Adventure, comedy, romance, girls love, sport, and childcare are not words that describe people.
They describe what the characters are doing, which is part of a character description. "They are on an adventure.", "They are in a romance.", "They are doing sports.", "They are doing childcare."
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

799 by ryzxgum »»
58 seconds ago

» 🎃 AD Summer 2024 Best Girl Contest ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - Oct 1

133 by Vaturna »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you care about your anime watching pace?

Zakatsuki_ - Yesterday

28 by deg »»
59 minutes ago

» Do you know any Christian Anime characters?

jackalw - 5 hours ago

12 by tchitchouan »»
1 hour ago

» Any cool anime released on your birthday?

karioka- - 10 hours ago

18 by inim »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.