Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 9, 2017 4:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm starting to get used to Phos' personality change now. It actually feels like a refreshing change to her character.

Episode felt pretty surreal with the action. I found the chereography of this episode to be well chereographed even with the CGI content. Bort really impressed me with his abilities.

Dec 9, 2017 7:33 AM
Jun 2011
this was great episode they adapted the part with dia short fight very good
Dec 9, 2017 9:06 AM
Jul 2009
Dia's fight was epic. I was waiting for it since the start of the show and it didn't disappoint.
Dec 9, 2017 12:15 PM

Feb 2015
That ep was really exciting. For the first time in the series my heart was beating so fast.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Dec 9, 2017 12:22 PM

Dec 2016
I'm starting more and more to like Phos' new way of acting because it shows progression and I'm glad that rather than just completely and unrealistically changing her personality, she still has her funny side like yelling "Next" when she noticed Bort, or trying to sneak out of Dia's room, or some of her reactions some time. I'm just really happy at how her character progression has been done so far through the series

Also the action, tenseness, and animation of this entire episode was great

AND THAT FUCKING ENDING THO WTFFF
TheFreycookDec 9, 2017 12:36 PM
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 9, 2017 12:26 PM

Jun 2008
I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I was first terrified for Bort, then Dia, and now Bort all over again. I can not wait for next week.
Dec 9, 2017 12:27 PM

Jun 2015
Phos and Bort teamed up in this episode and they fought a very strong Lunarian. Dia fought it as well. The fights was pretty cool.
Dec 9, 2017 12:34 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
What the fuck am i looking at? That was some insane cinematography!

I wanna especially mention these one-shot style cuts with Dia hiding from the new Lunarian, that was really creepy, it did its job perfectly and the CGI decision was made for something like this i would imagine. You could feel the tension and you would think, this lunarian would jump at your screen or at Dia.

The action is incredible, holy fuck man.

Dia and Bort are a brilliant pair together, the character development for Dia is very nice to watch.
Dec 9, 2017 12:35 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Poor Dia
I'm not liking the way Phos is acting but there's probably some deeper meaning to that which I have not yet figured out.
I haven't read the manga, after all. I miss the old Phos.
Dec 9, 2017 12:46 PM

Sep 2013
Good episode. The fights were awesome. I felt this dynamic in this fight. If every anime, 3D has fight like this, that would be great.
Dec 9, 2017 12:47 PM

Jul 2008
wow, only 2 episodes left and so much story to cover still. I am hoping this gets another season.

Also, while I still would have preferred more traditional 2d animation like in the manga promo video I am getting used to and being able to appreciate what they are able to do with the CGI.
GreenTea13Dec 9, 2017 9:20 PM
Dec 9, 2017 1:02 PM

Oct 2014
When most other shows airing this season start to show quality drops and strained budgets, this show is looking more magnificent than ever before. This episode definitely felt like it had been being built up towards.
Diamond was afraid of weighing Bort down, now Phos has totally eclipsed their capabilities. The most ironic thing is that Diamond wouldn't have been chased after if Phos hadn't replaced them in the field.

What the hell was that Lunarian though, it was like some horrifying Shadow of the Colossus enemy. Except fighting the bosses in Shadow of the Colossus doesn't look like a graceful dance like it does here.
Dec 9, 2017 1:05 PM

Sep 2011
Wow, this is getting crazyyyyy :o They've been absolutely killin' it with the CG, this show is an amazing example of how it can be done right, and it's on full display this episode, especially in the camera work. Can't wait to see what's going to happen, and why the next episode is titled "Secrets."
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Dec 9, 2017 1:49 PM

Jul 2015
Fuck ufotable, I want action to look like this, holy shit that was amazing.

Diamond using her sharpness as a weapon was a really nice strategy.
Dec 9, 2017 1:49 PM

Jun 2017
That fight with Dia and the monster was so cool. I kept expecting the camera to cut and it just never did, one long shot of action with absolutely zero camera cutaways. It's awesome.

https://streamable.com/f6vhs
sorathecrowDec 9, 2017 4:21 PM
Dec 9, 2017 2:30 PM

Oct 2017
Dia best gem confirmed!

Despite lacking everything compare to Bort, she's determined and able to put up a fight .

Also that CGI!
I wish more animators can adapt this technology and able to make EVERY SINGLE EPISODES so dynamic , instead of wanting to avoid spending too much money on 2D hand-drawn so they make everything static, like watching a slide show.
(I swear, even Ancient Magus Bride did that this season despite high rating, so many static scrolling scene and use of particle effect to avoid animating anything. It's the same company that did AoT so I expect alot more than this.. Those fight scenes are pretty bad honestly)

Most anime nowadays try to cheap out the budget to use some special effect to cover up the lack of movement and dynamic cuz it's too costly to make a dynamic scene looks good. Houseki no Kuni shows that with CGI you can do just that while still making scenes and characters beautiful.
Ventus_SDec 9, 2017 2:35 PM
Dec 9, 2017 3:23 PM

Nov 2014
Despite Bort's strictness, he is too kind and considerate on others. He's fierce out of love for others.
Dec 9, 2017 3:26 PM

Dec 2016
That is one giant scary Lunarian.

I like that Bort wants to team up and help Phos fight better.

Diamond needs to work on hiding better, usually keeping quite and not moving helps.

Oh, I thought Diamond actually defeated it, but splitting it in half made it split into 2 different beings.
Dec 9, 2017 3:47 PM
Jul 2009
LukesYGO_WSonYT said:

Oh, I thought Diamond actually defeated it, but splitting it in half made it split into 2 different beings.

She basically defeated it.
Dec 9, 2017 3:54 PM
Mar 2017
2:39 there it was noted that it was the voice of the seiyu queen tsundere, as she speaks in a thick voice sometimes it does not seem

-
The pictures on the wall are quite informative (although I do not remember much of what they were)

The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Dec 9, 2017 4:18 PM

Aug 2012
FireCrauter said:
2:39 there it was noted that it was the voice of the seiyu queen tsundere, as she speaks in a thick voice sometimes it does not seem

-
The pictures on the wall are quite informative (although I do not remember much of what they were)

I watched on the same page... i am only say.. I dont have money to pay HiDive
Dec 9, 2017 4:19 PM

Dec 2016
Just what on earth was this new Lunarian made of? Obsidian hasn't caused a dent, but sharply-edged diamond did cut the beast ahalf. This begs a question: How would it behave if it got covered with mercury from Cinnabar?

On the side note, what was the Lunarian in general? Some sort of product 'bred' specifically for hunting gems?
Dec 9, 2017 4:20 PM
Oct 2017
This episode shed light on another side of Bort and Dia relationship. Diamond inferiority complex came form the fact that he's not as good of a fighter as Bort, and felt unneeded. However, Bort has been giving Dia tips and advice to make him stronger, but that fell on deaf ears because Dia doesn't appreciate those comments. This lead to where we are with Diamond still weaker than Bort and deepening insecurity.
Dec 9, 2017 4:22 PM

Feb 2015
@FireCrauter @Mario_Isla just wondering but why aren't you downloading eps from translating groups like HorribleSubs? Eps are subbed very quickly after they air and quality is nice.

Dec 9, 2017 4:30 PM
Oct 2017
NyronGTR said:
Just what on earth was this new Lunarian made of? Obsidian hasn't caused a dent, but sharply-edged diamond did cut the beast ahalf. This begs a question: How would it behave if it got covered with mercury from Cinnabar?

On the side note, what was the Lunarian in general? Some sort of product 'bred' specifically for hunting gems?

Obsidian can cut the lunarian, Bort cut off an arm.

Mercury would net us result like in episode 1.

The last question answer is a spoiler.
Dec 9, 2017 4:34 PM

Aug 2012
Hakaminah said:
@FireCrauter @Mario_Isla just wondering but why aren't you downloading eps from translating groups like HorribleSubs? Eps are subbed very quickly after they air and quality is nice.

I dont know if a good fansub translate this anime to spanish, that is my native lenguage. The most part of time I watch this anime on HiDive, but the new ep is locked to free users
Dec 9, 2017 4:35 PM

Dec 2017
This character barely shows up:
https://i.imgur.com/VzNydKo.png

I wonder why....
Dec 9, 2017 4:38 PM

Feb 2015
Arkland said:

I wonder why....

Because they're not important to the story at this point.

Dec 9, 2017 4:47 PM
Dec 2015
Arkland said:

I wonder why....

Don't overthink it. There's 28 gems (27 now without Antarcticite) and only about 10 get constant exposure. If there is a second season, you will actually see that gem be properly introduced along with some of the other underdeveloped gems.
Dec 9, 2017 4:52 PM
Jul 2009
Niello said:
Bort has been giving Dia tips and advice to make him stronger, but that fell on deaf ears because Dia doesn't appreciate those comments.

It's not that she doesn't appreciate it. She just sees it as Bort looking down on her. Bort's easily misunderstood because she doesn't know how to properly show her feelings. It takes someone like Phos, who has matured a lot latly, to understand her.
1idd0kunDec 9, 2017 5:03 PM
Dec 9, 2017 5:04 PM
Mar 2016
Big props to the direction of this film. All good things being said about the art direction aside, the whole episode was an art work in terms of composition. The transitions, the way the action was presented were masterful. Best episode of this season.

I love the music tracks for the Lunarians. I can feel the strong influence in the instrumentation of Buddism.
Dec 9, 2017 5:23 PM

Nov 2014
I knew......I knew this episode was going to be where Orange goes all out but, WOW! I. DID. NOT. expect to be so blown away by this fight. This was the best episode for me simply because of that amazing cinematography.
The BGM playing when Bort and Phos were running away was my favorite as well.

Nice work, Orange. 5/5 episode.
Dec 9, 2017 5:31 PM

Sep 2013
That was an immensely impressive episode, even though I have no idea how they lost track on that loud and giant Lunarian, but it was excellent regardless.
RetoleeDec 9, 2017 5:39 PM
Dec 9, 2017 5:36 PM
Dec 2017
Here link to sample of Land of Lustrous Art Book. If anyone interest to get it.
[url=https://imgur.com/a/He2oA[/url]
Dec 9, 2017 5:38 PM
Nov 2017
A few quick questions, hoping for simple "yes", "no" or "we don't know yet" answers.

Can the jellyfish actually understand Phos?
If yes:
- Can the jellyfish understand other Gems?
- Are the jellyfish actually intelligent enough to give a worthwhile answer to Phos' question?

The jellyfish seem to be receptive to the emotions of Gems in the immediate area; is the way they change lighting to match Gems an official mechanic?
Or is that simply a neat visual element?
Dec 9, 2017 5:46 PM
May 2016
animegeek4life said:
I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I was first terrified for Bort, then Dia, and now Bort all over again. I can not wait for next week.

SAME!! My computer was lagging and I was freaking out and jumping around bc I wanted to know what was going to happen.
Dec 9, 2017 5:57 PM
Oct 2017
1idd0kun said:
Niello said:
Bort has been giving Dia tips and advice to make him stronger, but that fell on deaf ears because Dia doesn't appreciate those comments.

It's not that she doesn't appreciate it. She just sees it as Bort looking down on her. Bort's easily misunderstood because she doesn't know how to properly show her feelings. It takes someone like Phos, who has matured a lot latly, to understand her.

Erm not really, Dia knows full well that Bort has good intention.
Dec 9, 2017 6:18 PM
Jul 2009
Niello said:
1idd0kun said:

I don't think so. Look at her face in episode 2 when Bort literally tells her she's useless. No way she's taking that sort of thing as a "useful advice." Bort is just not good at communicating with others and can be pretty freaking abrasive and downright rude sometimes. Dia tries to see Bort in a positive light as shown in this episode, but there are limits even for her and Bort's rudeness sometimes goes beyond those limits.
1idd0kunDec 9, 2017 6:30 PM
Dec 9, 2017 6:24 PM

Mar 2008
Mario_Isla said:
Hakaminah said:

I dont know if a good fansub translate this anime to spanish, that is my native lenguage. The most part of time I watch this anime on HiDive, but the new ep is locked to free users

Look for "Erai-Raws", they're releasing multisubs.
Dec 9, 2017 6:43 PM
Nov 2017
NyronGTR said:
Just what on earth was this new Lunarian made of? Obsidian hasn't caused a dent, but sharply-edged diamond did cut the beast ahalf.

If you watch closely, you see that all but three Gem strikes are blocked by at least one of its 30 claws; two of those strikes inflict major damage (when Bort cuts off a hand and Dia cuts it in half) and the third is where it grabs the sword between its knuckles and disarms Dia.
Dec 9, 2017 6:46 PM
Nov 2017
1idd0kun said:
I don't think so. Look at her face in episode 2 when Bort literally tells her she's useless. No way she's taking that sort of thing as a "useful advice." Bort is just not good at communicating with others and can be pretty freaking abrasive and downright rude sometimes. Dia tries to see Bort in a positive light as shown in this episode, but there are limits even for her and Bort's rudeness sometimes goes beyond those limits.
Just because Dia knows Bort doesn't mean it as severely as it sounds doesn't mean it doesn't still hurt Dia's feelings. Given what Dia explicitly tells Phos this ep, it's clear Dia understands Bort is just really bad at communicating anything that isn't combat.
Dec 9, 2017 6:59 PM
Jul 2009
Areku2021 said:
1idd0kun said:
Just because Dia knows Bort doesn't mean it as severely as it sounds doesn't mean it doesn't still hurt Dia's feelings. Given what Dia explicitly tells Phos this ep, it's clear Dia understands Bort is just really bad at communicating anything that isn't combat.

Well, my point was simply that it's not like Dia doesn't appreciate Bort's "advises" but rather she felt she was being put down, which holds true whether she understands Bort perfectly or not. At the end of the day Bort just can be too damn rude sometimes, specially towards Dia.
Dec 9, 2017 7:17 PM

Oct 2017
That was some great CGI, I upped the score to 7.

It annoys me how everyone keeps calling feminine characters "he" when they sit, act, walk, look, speak like a woman, and wear women’s clothing, hair, shoes, makeup. Trolls I tell ya. That’s like calling a character with an adams apple, bulging muscles, male clothes, and male voice actor a she.

Also this isn’t a seinen. I don’t see how the next two episodes could ever make it a seinen. This is mostly a shounen with the all battles and phos power ups, or at least an action packed shoujo considering the feminine characters and the constant emo crap about phos relationships and wanting to feel needed.
Dec 9, 2017 7:25 PM

Sep 2017
amazing episode with awesome cinematography. this episode was really intense
Dec 9, 2017 7:41 PM

Sep 2017
I too miss old Phos... I'd like to see her new personality more explored.
The fights this time were fantastic. And even the hiding scene with no cuts was intense.

@Username23489023
Mmh, it bothers me too when they use "he" sometimes, but I don't think it's trolling. In japanese you don't have to specify the gender of someone when you use a personal pronoun.
And actually for Anctarticite I see "he" more a fit than a "she"... Or maybe I don't care XD

Btw this is more a seinen than a shoujo (definitely not a shounen..), on the whole the show feels more for an older audience, with the thing about life evolving in the background (or I should say in the foreground) but also with everything else.
AkaraedDec 9, 2017 7:44 PM
Dec 9, 2017 7:55 PM
Oct 2017
1idd0kun said:
Niello said:

You don't get it, Dia has been with Bort for years. He knows Bort. Dia knows he has good intention and that he cares. He even said it that Bort would never make a mistake, and lecture Phos on how Bort isn't what Phos sees him as when Phos was wondering how could he ever get along with someone like that. Altough Dia is nice, deep down there's still a sense of jealousy and competitiveness towards Bort.
Dec 9, 2017 7:56 PM

Sep 2017
@Areku2021
Areku2021 said:

Can the jellyfish actually understand Phos?
If yes:
- Can the jellyfish understand other Gems?
- Are the jellyfish actually intelligent enough to give a worthwhile answer to Phos' question?

The jellyfish seem to be receptive to the emotions of Gems in the immediate area; is the way they change lighting to match Gems an official mechanic?
Or is that simply a neat visual element?

Yes, the jellyfish can actually understand Phos, and should understand the other gems too. However only Phos should be able to understand the jellyfish. It was in previous episodes.

If the jellyfish are actually intelligent enough to sensibly answer Phos' question I don't know: I saw this lack of knowledge as part of the humor of the scene...
For the other questions Idk.
Dec 9, 2017 8:14 PM

Aug 2017
Apsidelos said:
Arkland said:

I wonder why....

Don't overthink it. There's 28 gems (27 now without Antarcticite) and only about 10 get constant exposure. If there is a second season, you will actually see that gem be properly introduced along with some of the other underdeveloped gems.

That's correct- there are several other gems that simply haven't been introduced yet in the anime.
Dec 9, 2017 8:15 PM

Apr 2009
Yeah, the new Phos is awesome. I'm starting to miss the old perky Phos less and less, as I watch more of the new Phos. She is waaay too awesome now, lol.

So I guess I was wrong to assume that Bort had some kind of a bad agenda against Phos. Overall, she just wants what's best for everyone, like everyone in this show does, but in her own way... even though it looks very mean and crude in my eyes, lol. Well, I'm glad that worked out... sort of.

So Phos shined in the last episode, and this time it was Diamond's turn. Woohoo, you go grill, go kick some Lunarian arse! Gawd, that giant Lunarian was annoying. I was feeling so tense and on an edge, as I was watching Dia running and hiding from that ooglei thing, hoping that she won't get captured. I'm sooo glad that things made an U-turn at the end and Dia showed who's the real pro. I hope that Dia never gets captured ever. She's like a shining beacon of smile that I'm guessing a lot of people, including myself, really like. I honestly believe we need more Dia on the screen, lol.

I rarely give out 10 out of 10 for a show, no matter how great it may be overall, but this show is too awesome not to give a 10. I really, really, really hope that it gets a second season. I really want to see and learn more about the gems and their world.
To be or not to be... that is not the question. ;3
Dec 9, 2017 8:20 PM
Jul 2009
Niello said:
1idd0kun said:

You don't get it, Dia has been with Bort for years. He knows Bort. Dia knows he has good intention and that he cares. He even said it that Bort would never make a mistake, and lecture Phos on how Bort isn't what Phos sees him as when Phos was wondering how could he ever get along with someone like that. Altough Dia is nice, deep down there's still a sense of jealousy and competitiveness towards Bort.

I get it. I just don't agree with that interpretation because there's too much evidence suggesting otherwise. For example, I don't think Dia is actually jealous of Bort per se. If anything, this episode made it clear what she really wanted is to be someone that won't burden Bort, someone more fit to be her partner. For example, she was clearly upset when she remarked Bort had noticed Phos' brilliance or when watching the two walking together. If she was jealous, it was of Phos who was apparently a better partner to Bort than her.
1idd0kunDec 9, 2017 8:47 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Will Houseki no kuni ever get a season 2

Naka74 - Dec 21, 2022

22 by aramis03 »»
Jun 17, 2:32 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2017

108 by DigiCat »»
Jun 15, 8:31 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

172 by sc0ff »»
Jun 5, 11:53 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

317 by ShadowkillZ »»
Jun 2, 5:38 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2017

211 by Lucas_Gomes7914 »»
May 22, 7:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.