Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think is a good way to transition between arcs?

New
Mar 23, 2016 8:50 PM

Jan 2016
This is not only limited to shounen anime but all anime that have arcs in it.

I think that how Hunter x Hunter handles the transition between arcs is the greatest example of logical fluidity. It's a continuous series of events. An event in arc 1 triggers the arc 2, an event in arc 2 triggers arc 3 , and so on and so forth.

As compared to A Certain Magical Index(though, I like it... I can't ignore this flaw)... Arcs seems disjointed. There's no fluidity in the events. It feels that every arc starts with its own story without a logical connection to the last arc.

So, yeah... can you also provide an example of good and bad example of arc transitions?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 23, 2016 8:53 PM

Jun 2014
Hunter X Hunter had a terrible arc transition imo, they literally teleport into another arc at the end of Greed Island, but the other ones all worked well in it.

But usually I like it unless they just zoom between them with no calm or adjusting period.
Mar 23, 2016 8:59 PM

Jan 2016
Jerkhov said:
Hunter X Hunter had a terrible arc transition imo, they literally teleport into another arc at the end of Greed Island, but the other ones all worked well in it.

But usually I like it unless they just zoom between them with no calm or adjusting period.

Wait, being teleported into the next arc has a reason... and it has to do with the reason they went in Greed Island themselves... that is Ging Freecs.
Mar 23, 2016 9:03 PM
Jul 2015
I think my favourite way of doing this is how Magi did it. The months go on between arcs, if the travelling and wondering is not interesting, they skip it. You don't watch it because it's not interesting, but that long times where nothing happens are still there. In other stories (specially shonens) I have the sense of anything is happen everywhere in any moment.
roquepoMar 23, 2016 9:08 PM

Mar 23, 2016 9:05 PM

Oct 2015
A good transition into another arc to me is a shift in tone or albeit something tragic/game changing event happens. (this is mainly speaking from a action show standpoint). Arcs also to me have to build on top of one another and not contraindicate.

EDIT: looking at shows to find a good example

EDIT2: Jojos had a great transtion in the first season as 50 years between the first and second arcs of the first season but a dramatic moment was the turning point of the story arcs.

Also kingdom has good transitions between arcs where they do a lot of exposition needed in order to give the setting its depth and feel to it.
PraetorPatMar 23, 2016 9:10 PM

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
Mar 23, 2016 9:07 PM

Nov 2015
like DRRR did, by waiting 5 fucking years
Mar 23, 2016 9:08 PM

Dec 2014
Agreed HxH handles it the best! I think FMA Brotherhood is just one whole big story but if we were to say that different locations are different arcs, then the transition in FMA B is quite good too. Same could be said about Shokugeki no Soma. A bad example eh... Let's see I can't think of a bad one right now lol
Thinking.....
Mar 23, 2016 9:10 PM

Jan 2016
PukingMachines said:
like DRRR did, by waiting 5 fucking years

lol... I laughed more than I should...

Mar 2014
The transition between Shogun X arc and Country Rebellion in Gintama, is the most perfect example for me.

Oct 2015
One of my fave but I wouldn't say effective ways to do so is how fairy tail did their arc transitions ( The anime is shite though ). they have 1 episode between their major arcs were the crew just do mundane shit and by doing that it kind of evokes a sense of relaxation a sort of a mini break before EVERY ONE STARTS FIGHTING ONE ANOTHER , EARTHQUAKES HAPPENING , DRAGONS EATING PEOPLE AND NATSU STARTS SCREAMING ABOUT FRIENDSHIP WHILE FLAILING HIS ARMS.

and ofc HxH's arc transitions are the best ones that I've watched so far.
Mar 23, 2016 9:15 PM

Oct 2012
Watch Uchuu Kyoudai. That anime really gives a good example on how to make transition between arc.
Mar 23, 2016 10:58 PM

Oct 2011
Filler episodes

An easy yet good way to have transition between two arcs is changing the setting like in One Piece where they jump from island to island where an arc happens in each stopover.

Personally, a bad transition is when an arc finishes without any clear resolution but a new arc starts anyway.
Mar 23, 2016 11:26 PM

Feb 2015
I liked how in Fairy Tail (the first series) they would add a couple of lighthearted filler episodes between major story arcs. It gave you an idea of what the characters were doing when they weren't busy beating up the big, bad evil, without interfering with the main story. Plus most of them were rather funny.
Mar 23, 2016 11:28 PM

Nov 2014
Jerkhov said:
Dude, anime ends with Greed Island.

Mar 24, 2016 12:06 AM

Jan 2014
Actually, I think HxH arc transitions were bad. The transition from Yorknew to GI was basically like a change in protagonist midstream, and the content of the arcs themselves was disparate. The same goes for GI to CA. There's an entire new threat thrown into the world seemingly out of nowhere and it is contrary to the goal for the end of GI.

Naruto and One Piece have good transitions because there is still constancy between the transitions and the events are more directly linked in terms of progression. The same with Rurouni Kenshin.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 24, 2016 1:48 AM

May 2015
If there's a direct connection, show it. If the arcs are different stories with different characters, show us at first how the conclusion of the first arc affected the characters and their lives.

I prefer arcs that merge and build into each other. Digimon Tamers does it best. Each arc is instigated by the previous one. Adventure simply has "Oh hey, new enemy over there!"
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 24, 2016 1:55 AM

Jul 2012
I dont like it when its like its been 1 year, and one of main characters location is still unknown.

I like it more when it throws you into the action and its like how did they get into this mess?

Mar 24, 2016 2:12 AM

Jul 2013
I like my transitions arc in shonens (especially after a long, big arc) to be calm and lighhearted, and with the characters spending the time interacting with themselves after another big arc (like One Piece and Fairy Tail does).
Mar 24, 2016 2:59 AM

Sep 2015
If the arc is changing to something new completely, then resolving the previous arc before moving onto the next is the best way to go. I really enjoyed how the end of the Arlong Park arc in One Piece had an entire episode dedicated to just everyone relaxing after they freed their island, revelling and rejoicing before finally saying their goodbyes and moving on. They closed that arc off in a great manner.

I enjoyed the transition from Heaven's Arena > Yorknew in HxH. Seeing as the Arena was only meant as a precursor to Yorknew, the way they finished off their battles and went off to travel straight into Yorknew was very fluid and smooth.

So I guess the best way is either finishing all ties and wrapping up loose ends in the previous arc before starting a new one, or having the story naturally flow into the next arc.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 24, 2016 3:43 AM

Aug 2013
Somebody shoots two people in the head, but they're actually alive...just kidding whoever would do that must me our of their mind......oh wait.....
Mar 24, 2016 6:09 AM

Jul 2013
I think the best way to transition between arcs is to follow an eventful arc with something calm similar to how Bleach did it between Soul Society arc and Arrancar sage, excluding the filler arc in between of course.
Mar 24, 2016 6:20 AM

Dec 2015
Cue musical sting, star wipe to next arc...
Mar 24, 2016 6:48 AM

Feb 2013
CapitalistGod said:
As compared to A Certain Magical Index(though, I like it... I can't ignore this flaw)... Arcs seems disjointed. There's no fluidity in the events. It feels that every arc starts with its own story without a logical connection to the last arc.
Hm? Iirc there was a scene with touma in the hospital inbetween many of the arcs, and even if there wasn't, all arcs had a clear end point. That's a pretty good transition imo. No need to be forcing a connection between them, it's like a villain of the week where a week has more episodes.
Mar 24, 2016 7:44 AM

Sep 2013
In the Hajime no Ippo franchise they always put one or more comedy centered episodes between the arcs. That probably is not what everyone would call a good transition but each of the episodes was pure comedy gold.
Mar 24, 2016 7:56 AM

Dec 2015
KatsuraDragneel said:
I like a good sequence of laid back chapters/episodes. Think its key to portray characters in normal situations and then show how the consequences or character development of each arc affects their regular lives

Weirdly enough that's kinda how the Harry Potter books work. Between arcs (school years) we get to see the characters in their everyday lives.
Mar 24, 2016 8:14 AM

Feb 2015
I'll provide you with a bad way to do arcs, if you do it like Bleach or Naruto; "Ok, this arc is starting now, but wait now we're 1/3 in to that arc, we'll slam down with a filler arc for six months, ok and back to the arc just where we left off, oops, now another 1/3 of the first arc has been made we'll slam down another new filler arc for another six months, ok now that filler arc is over, and we're back on track for the last 1/3 of the arc that started over a year ago"

Mar 24, 2016 11:55 AM

Jun 2015
ExTamplier said:
Jerkhov said:
KILL YOURSELF!

If its done as smoothly as HXH, its great, but since most fail at that, the fairytail 1~2 ep filler SOL ep is a nice way
Mar 24, 2016 12:17 PM
Mar 2011
I like what I would call the classical shounen transition, used in Dragon Ball, Yuu Yuu Hakusho and Bleach (I think it's also used in Naruto and One Piece, but less), where the last events of an arc gives some plot progression a the reason for the new arc. It's as if the last episode of the previous arc is the first episode of the next arc.
Mar 24, 2016 5:52 PM

Nov 2014
KuroudoAkabane said:
ExTamplier said:
KILL YOURSELF!

If its done as smoothly as HXH, its great, but since most fail at that, the fairytail 1~2 ep filler SOL ep is a nice way
Let me guess, you did not wait 9 years for that abomination. You just took it for granted like nothing in between Greed Island and Chimera Ant happened.

Mar 25, 2016 4:40 AM

May 2014
Anything but a vague timeskip (fuck off, SAO).
Mar 25, 2016 9:41 AM

May 2015
CrustyRolls said:

What's wrong with timeskips? It just sounds like getting to the good parts for me.
Mar 25, 2016 5:23 PM

Jan 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
CrustyRolls said:

What's wrong with timeskips? It just sounds like getting to the good parts for me.

In SAO case... it's just *boom*, time has skipped. There's no need to further explain what has transpired.
Mar 25, 2016 7:10 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
The classic beach/onsen episode is the way to go.
Mar 25, 2016 7:14 PM

May 2015
I think the period between arcs should be downtime for the characters to reflect and the audience to see the characters go about their daily lives and how the experience has changed them, while dropping a few hints to the next arc. The next arc shouldn't immediately hit as soon as the first one is done because it needs to develop logically.
Mar 26, 2016 1:31 AM

May 2015
CapitalistGod said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

In SAO case... it's just *boom*, time has skipped. There's no need to further explain what has transpired.

Why should they explain things that aren't important? A show shouldn't follow the characters in every single moment. It should only present the important stuff.
Mar 26, 2016 7:35 PM

Jan 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
CapitalistGod said:

Why should they explain things that aren't important? A show shouldn't follow the characters in every single moment. It should only present the important stuff.

Uhhhh.... The journey towards powering up is quite important.
Mar 26, 2016 7:38 PM

Sep 2009
I think it's fine as long as they give you a good idea of what happened between arcs (And they bring a reasonable amount of closure to the ending arc). But a particularly good transition.... None really come to mind.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 26, 2016 7:55 PM

Mar 2015
CapitalistGod said:

I think that how Hunter x Hunter handles the transition between arcs is the greatest example of logical fluidity. It's a continuous series of events. An event in arc 1 triggers the arc 2, an event in arc 2 triggers arc 3 , and so on and so forth.

So, yeah... can you also provide an example of good and bad example of arc transitions?
In A Certain Magical Index, Season 1 and Season 2 are just "introduction" part to "introduce" all the "important" characters. All of this characters really important in the story. Even the villain (Accelerator, God's Right Seat etc2 for examples) important in the story (you need to read the LN xD). So, I personally think that A Certain Magical Index is not a bad example of arcs transition.
This salad is salty favored
Mar 26, 2016 7:58 PM

Jan 2016
_Esper_ said:
CapitalistGod said:

Hunter x Hunter is adventure anime meanwhile A Certain Magical Index is not. Season 1 and Season 2 is just "introduction" part to "introduce" all the "important" characters. All of this characters really important in the story. Even the villain (Accelerator, God's Right Seat etc2 for examples) important in the story (you need to read the LN xD). So, I personally think that A Certain Magical Index is not a bad example of arcs transition.

The events doesn't really connect in each arc.... the logical flow of events is not there.
Mar 26, 2016 8:08 PM

Jan 2008
CapitalistGod said:
_Esper_ said:
Hunter x Hunter is adventure anime meanwhile A Certain Magical Index is not. Season 1 and Season 2 is just "introduction" part to "introduce" all the "important" characters. All of this characters really important in the story. Even the villain (Accelerator, God's Right Seat etc2 for examples) important in the story (you need to read the LN xD). So, I personally think that A Certain Magical Index is not a bad example of arcs transition.

The events doesn't really connect in each arc.... the logical flow of events is not there.

You're saying that as if they're required to be connected, they're not. As said before, the first season is mostly character introductions, each character has a different background not often related to the other characters. It's what those characters do later in other arcs that make the connection.

Basically, Index sets up several small connections which have different paths.
Mar 26, 2016 8:09 PM

Jan 2016
Paul said:
CapitalistGod said:

You're saying that as if they're required to be connected, they're not. As said before, the first season is mostly character introductions, each character has a different background not often related to the other characters. It's what those characters do later in other arcs that make the connection.

Basically, Index sets up several small connections which have different paths.

Yeah, I agree... but that's only in the Light Novel case... if you judge the anime independently, you'll see the disconnect.
Mar 26, 2016 8:23 PM

Mar 2015
CapitalistGod said:
Yeah, I agree... but that's only in the Light Novel case... if you judge the anime independently, you'll see the disconnect.

Yes, the story in anime does not feel right cause the story is still not "connected" by the author. If we just anime independently, yes.. The story is not connected. But judging uncompleted adaptation is not a good thing.

For example, transition of Darker than Black S1 and S2 was really bad. But they released the OVA later and cleared up all the event.
EsperMar 26, 2016 8:27 PM
This salad is salty favored
Mar 27, 2016 1:07 AM

May 2015
CapitalistGod said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Why is important for you to see every stage of that?
Mar 27, 2016 1:14 AM

Jan 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
CapitalistGod said:

It's not really that important if they don't delve into every stage of that journey, ofc(even a brief montage will suffice). What's important is the question "How did he manage to power up?"
Mar 27, 2016 1:28 AM

Apr 2013
An endless hiatus.

Hiatus x Hiatus

Togashi gonna write two chapters and go into ten years of hibernation playing the next Dragon Quest
Mar 27, 2016 2:07 AM

May 2015
CapitalistGod said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

It's not really that important if they don't delve into every stage of that journey, ofc(even a brief montage will suffice). What's important is the question "How did he manage to power up?"

It's obvious. They trained. I don't see why sparing the viewer endless scenes of training is bad.
Mar 27, 2016 2:28 AM

Jan 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:

It's obvious. They trained. I don't see why sparing the viewer endless scenes of training is bad.

Showing the means of powering up is rewarding in itself. It makes you, the viewer, more sympathetic to the character. It adds to the characterization(possibly, development too).
Mar 28, 2016 12:10 AM

May 2015
CapitalistGod said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Showing the means of powering up is rewarding in itself. It makes you, the viewer, more sympathetic to the character. It adds to the characterization(possibly, development too).

You can use the training scenes to build character, but I don't think you're losing anything by cutting them off. We've all grinded in RPG. We know what it's like.
Apr 20, 2016 8:55 AM

Jun 2015
ExTamplier said:
KuroudoAkabane said:
KILL YOURSELF!

Let me guess, you did not wait 9 years for that abomination. You just took it for granted like nothing in between Greed Island and Chimera Ant happened.
9 yrs of your life.
In the anime, nothing did happen.
They use the card and poof : CA arc.
Apr 20, 2016 10:04 AM

Jul 2015
A black screen for an episode. Then maybe the shounen audience will understand.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Need an anime expert to help answer my questions

CovertSphinx - Yesterday

10 by DigiCat »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » You will die if you lose, choose the competition.

APolygons2 - 8 hours ago

13 by Zimmu »»
6 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - 1 hour ago

10 by Zakception »»
6 minutes ago

» Can you suggest some anime that would be great to watch with a girl-friend

Gashadokur0 - 4 hours ago

26 by MasterTasuke »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Will Wit Studio be more successful in money for the next 5 years?

GoatPieceLuffy - 5 hours ago

6 by MadanielFL »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.