3It was OK
6.6%
2Disliked it
1.0%
1Hated it
0.9%
Average 4.5
1,665 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 6, 2023 9:58 AM

Nov 2011
That was an awkward train ride.

On a serious note, the episode focused mostly on Kyoutarou and Anna's relationship dynamics in and outside the classroom. Some of their scenes reminds me of the first episode when they met. The focus on the character focuses were well done imo. Highlighted their emotions really well and what an ending we got!
May 6, 2023 9:58 AM

May 2020
Missing the train was indeed a stroke of luck, for Ichikawa at the very least but hey being the kid Yamada is, she took the blame upon herself and well.. started crying. Though dude knows how to deal with such an unforeseen incident, just give Yamada to drink or eat something, and you’re done lol. In the meantime they boarded another train, and there they returned. Enough for their time together for the day.

Also yeah you know someone’s enjoying their time when they’re talking about things every other instant. So big sister was right when she deduced Ichikawa’s having a blast at school, and I mean how he could not, talking day in and day out with Yamada and now even burrowing mangas from her. Great going.. but hey don’t listen to that mega perv lol.

Library as an eating spot was never an ideal place to begin with, I mean you can get busted any other day. Though even if Yamada got in, that doesn’t change the fact she will stop coming, I mean we know “eating” isn’t her only motive to be there. She is there to stay with Ichikawa. 

Again good to see dude realizing about his feelings.
Softhenic03May 6, 2023 10:01 AM
May 6, 2023 11:10 AM

Apr 2016
They're not looking at you because they think you made her cry, they look at you because you let her cry ya dingus.

Yamada really gives a vibe of being this aloof airhead, not taking anything seriously, sometimes even mature looking, but she really is just a high school girl, its good to see our resident dweeb noticing that more and more.

Good to see that not only our main-kun is aware of his feelings, but Yamada too :)
May 6, 2023 11:30 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
A declaration would really be strange. Anna sure isn't making it easy for Kyotaro's feelings huh. Well to be fair you're supposed to ear in the library anyway so the staff making that clear was well within their rights. Not that the sign would ever stop her. But it's cute seeing the two gradually get closer together by spending more time together in the library.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 6, 2023 11:40 AM

Jun 2019
My goodness... this episode was so incredibly directed and storyboarded. They're so cute together and looks like Ichikawa is finally accepting his feelings for Yamada. That was very nice to see him getting uncomfortable when someone talks about her in that way.

That one scene at the Library with Kensuke Ushio's music was just Chef's kiss. So beautiful. I love this show so much. And, a very strong episode.
May 6, 2023 11:41 AM
Sep 2015
I like Shou Adachi
May 6, 2023 11:42 AM

Oct 2017
Yamada never change. These two can be so adorable.

That dumbass didn't realise she was waiting for him even after she called out to him and gave those books.
May 6, 2023 11:52 AM

Jul 2017
Welp, the workplace visit has both Yamada and Ichikawa miss out their train back home, though the pretty girl is crying away and making a scene that said boy is bullying her, which does not bode well. Not even a drink will help calm her down, only Ichikawa's jokes can.

Oh well, the next train back, and the crazy idea of kids being couples growing up, this is exactly like the both of them keeping a secret about their relationship. All's well that ends well with the journey back to school then home, and Ichikawa now finds school a bit "fun" thanks to Yamada, though that's not discounting his loner self. Obviously, said girl was waiting for Ichikawa to show up to return him the manga that he loaned to her, though she's waiting for someone. And within the fleeting feelings of each other, school might be more enjoyable than they ever imagine.

Yamada pestering to Ichikawa to read the manga he borrowed her, and Shou tries asking him on whether Yamada has someone that she likes. Though this brings Ichikawa keep into romantic fantasy, but it's more of an unease that the others see Yamada has a slut that he doesn't want people speaking about her in that way. The day has arrived that the "no eating" rule has drought the library, and thus potentially ends Yamada's chances of snacking in there and hanging out with Ichikawa. Though Yamada doesn't care, and Ichikawa realizes the mistake enough to stop her from eating to be noticed by the library teacher, and in the process, confirms his feelings for her. And even when she tries to lay off the snacks and become a proper student, Yamada will still eat in disguise.

Yamada, may you never change.
May 6, 2023 11:56 AM

Apr 2010
Swagernator said:
They're not looking at you because they think you made her cry, they look at you because you let her cry ya dingus.

Yamada really gives a vibe of being this aloof airhead, not taking anything seriously, sometimes even mature looking, but she really is just a high school girl, its good to see our resident dweeb noticing that more and more.

Good to see that not only our main-kun is aware of his feelings, but Yamada too :)

Middle school girl. Which reinforces what you said as Middle schoolers in Japan have even less freedom to do whatever they feel like than high schoolers.
May 6, 2023 11:59 AM

Nov 2011
Ichikawa has that MC mind now! But he makes up for it with HUGE moments like in the Library!!!

We're not going to talk about Yamada licking her hands clean though especially after he grabbed her.

The front gate manga lend scene was cute.

The train ride was nice.

They're both airheads and I love them.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Summer 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

May 6, 2023 12:01 PM

Mar 2014
Never change Yamada never change, you're perfect just the way you are
May 6, 2023 12:05 PM

Dec 2022
well it was nice to see them stay alone and talk and yamada is nothing without her snacks
May 6, 2023 12:10 PM

Mar 2021
Yamada is just so adorable please never change you Cutie
May 6, 2023 12:14 PM
Nov 2022
have a question about that angry kinda expression of Yamada's face? was that the anger or what, because after that she told Ichikawa to leave. someone please help me lol
May 6, 2023 12:21 PM

Apr 2010
Pre_Yum said:
My goodness... this episode was so incredibly directed and storyboarded. They're so cute together and looks like Ichikawa is finally accepting his feelings for Yamada. That was very nice to see him getting uncomfortable when someone talks about her in that way.
That one scene at the Library with Kensuke Ushio's music was just Chef's kiss. So beautiful. I love this show so much. And, a very strong episode.

Akihito Sudo, which I've only knew for the key animation work before, directed the episode, did animation directing and Key animation work.. and according to himself it was the very first time he storyboarded an episode ( https://twitter.com/kasen3244/status/1654925316035588098?s=20 ) .

Quite a important episode to that charge on, and to this extent, I have a feeling we will see him more and more in the future.
May 6, 2023 12:23 PM

Dec 2022
Great episode and music
May 6, 2023 12:28 PM

Jun 2017
@misfit25

I don't think she was angry, she wanted him to leave so she can lick the choco off her hands. A very Yamada moment. LoL
May 6, 2023 12:30 PM

Feb 2019
“I melted” both literal and figuratively relevant. Yamada’s chocolate melts, but so too does Kyo’s icy personality. He is fully aware of his feelings for Yamada and enjoys going to school now. This is the type of natural character development we love to see from an MC.

The direction of this show continues to blow me away and amaze me. The ending sequence with the episode title card was just immaculate.

“You can’t wank to girls you like” too real. I’ve actually felt that way since HS. It’s like when you actually like someone, you can’t see yourself denigrating them to just an object of lust. Idk if everyone is like that but I am and never heard an anime guy say that so that was cool.
Marinate1016May 6, 2023 12:34 PM
May 6, 2023 12:31 PM

Jan 2021
I melted too
I can't believe this anime seriously
It´s a REALLLLLLLLLLY a good romcom
Well this ep Ichikawa saved Yamada of being kicked out of the library so he made the pro gamer move
She wanted to wait for him in the entrace but he didn't get the indirect so he screwed up all (fuck)
And all ends in a positive way

May 6, 2023 12:38 PM

May 2019
Ah Anna, you're so silly and funny. I figured a sign saying no eating allowed would not stop her as she even said she knew she wasn't supposed to eat in the library. When she told Kyoutarou to go away I knew it was because she wanted to lick her hands of the melted chocolate and didn't want him to see lol.

Earlier on she was waiting for him to arrive at school to give him the mangas she was letting him borrow (on a side note her spoiling the storyline.... I dislike when people do that). Anyways, Kyoutarou's sister knows something is up (girls really do pick up on subtle changes huh) as he is looking forward to going to school more. I'm thinking the sister will probably tease him for that but maybe she'll give him some good advice too.
Alfredo-SauceJan 30, 1:26 PM
May 6, 2023 12:42 PM

Jun 2019
TiagoCosta said:
according to himself it was the very first time he storyboarded an episode
Damn... will have to keep an eye out for his amazing work in the future. That was an amazing episode.
May 6, 2023 12:48 PM

Jan 2021
Yamada feeling sad since they missed their train and Kyoutarou thinking its his fault and trying to help but to no avail and then the awkward train ride towards their destination.

Yamada came to lend out the manga since Kyoutarou asked for it. Shou with his pervy thoughts yet again. No eating in the library and Yamada still eats lmao and almost gets caught by a teacher but Kyoutarou saves her. This is the first time I have heard Kyoutarou say that she needs to lay off the sweets but looks like she didn't pay attention because the next day it seemed like she was doing homework but had a box candy laying underneath it. The relationship so far between Yamada and Kyoutarou has been wholesome though.
__andre__May 6, 2023 12:51 PM
May 6, 2023 12:54 PM
Mar 2021
This anime is so in my tastes, so wholesome and cute
May 6, 2023 12:57 PM

Apr 2021
So...when is Yamada finally coming to Ichikawa's house so that his sister can tease him about it? The big sister character gives a great opportunity forcing them into an intimate situation they normally wouldn't dare on their own.

May 6, 2023 1:34 PM
Aug 2020
I really enjoyed this one, i love the way that we are in the mind of Ichikawa.
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
May 6, 2023 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
Three funny things I noticed in this episode:

1- Yamada's Pov has very sloppy artstyle, just like her in real life

2- Adachi (the wanker) is a walking contradiction (who isn't?). At first he says he knew he loved Yamada because he couldn't jerk off to her, but then he proceeded to list everything he likes about her, which is just her appearance lol

3- Kimi Iro no Octave's protagonists on the manga cover suspiciously looked like Ichikawa and Yamada, and in my headcanon she had an easier time falling for him because he looked similar to the protagonist of a manga she liked
May 6, 2023 2:40 PM

Nov 2016
Every edgy guy just needs a cutie showing some kindness lol Great episode

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 6, 2023 2:47 PM

Mar 2019
is it just me or does this get better and funnier/cuter every episode?
May 6, 2023 2:48 PM
Sep 2015
he brought it home?!?
May 6, 2023 3:05 PM
Oct 2014
I can say this anime is a hidden gem in this season!
May 6, 2023 3:05 PM

Oct 2022
WaneruEmika666 said:
he brought it home?!?
Teenage boys do weird things...
May 6, 2023 3:07 PM
May 2020
getting closer and closer as the episodes progress
May 6, 2023 3:10 PM
Mar 2020
god they're just so cute. this is still the most 8th grade feeling thing since Bo Burnham's Eighth Grade
May 6, 2023 3:14 PM
Oct 2020
Wait he brought the chip bag home? What for? Not much you can do with a empty bag of chips
May 6, 2023 4:43 PM
Aug 2021
Kyotaro was so cool
May 6, 2023 5:00 PM
Nov 2019
This probably one of the major plot point in the story and it's so beautiful.
May 6, 2023 5:09 PM

Jan 2010
that was a beautiful save by ichikawa.
May 6, 2023 5:11 PM

May 2021
the scene where ichikawa touches yamada's hand is incredible, from the animation to the music, kensuke ushio really doesn't disappoint.
May 6, 2023 5:27 PM
Aug 2021
it is such a good take on teenage love
both yamada and ishikawa are great characters
May 6, 2023 7:05 PM

Apr 2022
we're halfway through but i still can't stand this mc :/ i have to stay true to myself tho, don't wanna drop a seasonal.
but he was reading a shoujo manga, just like me fr... for once.
May 6, 2023 7:36 PM
Apr 2023
The title of the episode pretty much sums it up.
In the train event and the way Ichikawa protected Yamada, he basically started to melt Yamada's heart. Because of that incident, Yamada decided to be more careful, so she can keep going to the library and hang out with Ichikawa.

I don't know if I missed something from the earlier episodes but when they were waiting for their next train, Yamada was surprised when Ichikawa handed her that drink. The drink was milktea, Yamada's favorite drink and she was surprised to see Ichikawa remembers this (in the earlier chapters of the manga, Yamada mentioned this once to Ichikawa). So she realized that somehow Ichikawa pays attention to her up to some degree.

By this time, Yamada knows she has some feelings for Ichikawa and the next episodes will show things escalating things gradually for both of them.
May 6, 2023 8:15 PM
Mar 2015
Some serious misunderstandings
May 6, 2023 8:28 PM

Dec 2012
This is seriously so refreshing & delightful. I love how Yamada always goes at her own pace and how Ichikawa awkwardly covers for her. The melting chocolate scene was absolutely precious, especially Yamada's expression when Ichikawa grabbed her hand. This is turning out to be a sleeping giant of a romance series.
May 6, 2023 8:36 PM

Jun 2010
Cool subtle thing where Kyoutarou buys Yamada a milk tea; this what she wanted to buy from the store in the previous episode but Chii stopped her. She's suddenly intensely aware he's been paying attention to her; here is another first-person shot where hair can be seen at the edge of the frame. As usual Kyoutarou doesn't realize what's going on and actually thinks she's upset. Not a coincidence that on the train she hugs him by proxy (his backback) and tries to drop hints about being lovers but keeping it secret from the rest of the class.

When Kyoutarou is warning himself against getting hurt, he looks to the back of his bicycle where Yamada rode in episode 4.

In the final scene in the library Kyoutarou is only pretending to read his murder encyclopedia but is actually reading the manga Yamada lent him.

I really liked the way the color of the light coming through the window changed after the big hand-holding event. It "cooled off" as Yamada and Kyoutarou seperate as she's too embarrassed to stay around him for now (and she wanted to lick her chocolate). Change over time and color are two things that a TV show is better at conveying than a manga; I like seeing attention paid to what this adaptation can do that makes it unique.

I think it bungled the bit about Kyoutarou trying to read the manga while thinking of Yamada though; he later says he couldn't concentrate on the manga because he was distracted, but by what? In the manga he was imagining Yamada in somewhat sexy clothes reading the manga in the various positions (before imagining her eating chips). She's not only wearing the shoulder-baring sweater seen here in one shot but the straps disapearing into the neckline were a little lacy, unlike here. Kyoutarou was moderately eroticizing her in his mind, which ties into his worries in the next scenes that he doesn't really like her if he finds her sexy. This logical sequence isn't clear in the anime.

Kyoutarou and his sister seem to have split a two-piece casual wear set (with the blue and white stripes); Kyoutarou took the bottoms and Kana the top.
May 6, 2023 8:40 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Being left together at the subway ended up not being so bad, especially after Ichikawa cheered up Yamada with a drink and what he said about going to bathroom lol. And there were lots of good bits to follow, we got to see Ichikawa’s sister again for a minute which has me hoping she’ll play a more active role later, and Ichikawa was met with boobs in his face thanks to a little scuffle in the library lol, he’s got a good luck streak this episode. Also I get dense MCs gotta be dense, but man I’m sad he didn’t notice Yamada was waiting for him at the school gate.

And our resident pervy lad interrogating Ichikawa about Yamada was pretty funny, that thing about “wanking” is probably not true for everyone tho lol. And looks like the mystery of the candy wrappers in the trash can came back around with a sign being in front of the library, but of course that isn’t gonna stop Yamada lol. But due to this she nearly got caught by the librarian which led to Ichikawa pulling off one of his smooth moves to cover for her, a very very nice scene, and it looked like that one definitely flustered Yamada, nice going lad! And even after all that Yamada is only cutting back on snacks a little bit, I respect it lol.

And man I can’t believe we’re already half way through this one, take me back to week 1 please lol.
TheColonel76May 6, 2023 8:53 PM
May 6, 2023 8:58 PM
Oct 2019
We all melt together in this episode.
May 6, 2023 10:25 PM
Sep 2021
The interactions between ichikawa and yamada was good, it had a good vibe to it.
May 6, 2023 11:05 PM
Sep 2020
Feeling grateful for witnessing the peak moment as if the sweetness has reached its peak at the time. Really appreciate for having such a wonderful anime adaptation.
May 7, 2023 1:03 AM
Oct 2022
Ahhh dude finally made his first move
May 7, 2023 1:20 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I just gotta say it again: even though we've got bangers like Hell's Paradise's opening, THIS op is still my favourite of the season, as well as my favourite ending as well. And just the music in the background is enough to move your soul, even just a little.

"RIGHT?!"
"Don't 'RIGHT?!" me!"

Alright but what was this guy doing with that empty chip bag tho

NYANPASU
5700XT

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 27, 2023

218 by Muow »»
Sep 22, 8:42 AM

Poll: » Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2023

287 by Muow »»
Sep 21, 8:56 PM

Poll: » Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2023

375 by Ashthefox17 »»
Sep 19, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 20, 2023

174 by lauralidia1 »»
Sep 14, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 13, 2023

132 by lauralidia1 »»
Sep 14, 11:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.