Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
5Loved it!
30.1%
4Liked it!
32.4%
3It was OK
19.7%
2Disliked it
9.5%
1Hated it
8.3%
Average 3.7
781 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2021 4:43 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Life is but a shitty game." - Fumiya Tomozaki-kun, God-tier Gamer, Bottom-tier Character. His VA is Dr. Stone's Chrome.

LOLS the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for Nintendo Switch rip-off. Truly the God-tier game of the franchise.

Pretty much like that one Netoge anime that was produced by the same studio some years ago (Project No.9), a NEET and the girl destined to change his life, it'd be hard for this to compete with Horimiya coming out tomorrow.

The lives of Tomozaki and Top-tier Character Hinami, the optimistic-but-reluctant girl to fix the former's life and turn it around for the good, let this life be not just any ordinary life, but The Game of Life that's a roller-coaster full of emotions.

A good start, taking things nice and slow, starting from scratch. RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE Tomozaki, learn to be a normie. #Relatable for otakus.
KANLen09Jan 8, 2021 5:44 AM
Jan 8, 2021 5:34 AM

Aug 2019
Not even gonna lie, I think this will be anime of the year. It's like Oregairu but much better and 'next level'. The main character reminds me of myself unfortunately, :( hopefully one day my own NO NAME will arrive and meet me

Jan 8, 2021 5:41 AM

Jun 2012
This felt like GAMERS x 3D Kanojo: Real Girl with Harem elements. Which is a good thing.

Jan 8, 2021 5:41 AM

Apr 2019
I like this hinami and tomozaki duo! It's gonna be so fun to see them evolve into better gamers, online and offline. Is Tomozaki Hachiman though? Hating normies, loner, with cute imouto?!?! I don't think he needs to super popular. A few friends are fine for someone like him who doesn't like socializing

Jan 8, 2021 5:43 AM

Apr 2019
prok_anime said:
Not even gonna lie, I think this will be anime of the year. It's like Oregairu but much better and 'next level'. The main character reminds me of myself unfortunately, :( hopefully one day my own NO NAME will arrive and meet me
stop blaming the game of life without trying - Hinami

Jan 8, 2021 5:51 AM

Sep 2019
I couldn’t stand Tomozaki’s monologues, Hachiman’s monologues usually didn’t annoy me much but this was on another level. Woah, she changed her posture and she looks like another person now... I don’t know how Tomozaki was surprised at that. I don’t have high hopes but it’d be great if this show turns out to be good. Let’s see how the best smash bros player’s life is going to change.
z00nexJan 8, 2021 6:15 AM
Jan 8, 2021 5:52 AM

Nov 2010
The protagonist's opinion is understandable, but the repeated display of the his game-oriented perspective and complaint against the real world was kind of annoying.
Jan 8, 2021 5:56 AM

Feb 2016
I never expected Nobuhiko to voice Nakamura
Tomozaki's outer appearance was worse than I thought. It's gonna be nice to see him change his image.
The anime is going to be slightly brighter than the source material it was adapted from
Glordit said:
This felt like GAMERS x 3D Kanojo: Real Girl with Harem elements. Which is a good thing.
Not really harem though
Jan 8, 2021 6:00 AM

Nov 2016
Hinami was fronting the potential future incel hard lmao, but she was spitting facts. Love her character already.

The MC on the other hand.. let's just say that Kazuya from Rent a Girlfriend didn't leave a first impression as bad as Tomozaki with his cringy speech. Fortunately he quickly redeemed himself and there's hope. Enjoyable start. Looking forward to more and I hope it stays interesting.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 8, 2021 6:09 AM
Nov 2019
It has alot of potential also it's basically a combination of 3 different series in one.Oregairu being one obviously which doesn't bother me it's just saying this is better than oregairu after one episode is ludicrous and insulting.I'm not telling people how to think but nah screw it i am 😊.
Jan 8, 2021 6:11 AM
Jul 2018
damn this story is rly interesting, this has lots of potential and hope it turns out good
Jan 8, 2021 6:19 AM

Jul 2017
This MC is quite annoying, I understand this MC formula (Hachiman etc), but he keeps repeating the same thing too many times in not so unpleasant way, but I really like the heroine approach on him, hard and soft at the same time, pushy but not too much. I can see a potential on this anime, with this solid of a heroine and the MC actually listened to her. Excited to see more of it, I actually have high hope for this but I'll put my expectation to moderate amount.
AikotobaJan 8, 2021 6:23 AM
Jan 8, 2021 6:20 AM
Jan 2021
Okay, light novel reader here, been reading since Volume 1 dropped in English. I’ll admit that Volume 1 is the weakest of the bunch next to Volume 4 (which I don’t think they’ll adapt unless a second season happens), but I actually think this was translated much better in anime form than the light novel did, it really surprised me. Yeah, Tomozaki’s gamer talk can get pretty annoying, not gonna lie, but the setup is overall really well done here and I can’t wait to see how they adapt everything going on. This was a great opener, and this series does get better as it goes on even with its highs and it’s lows. Definitely watching this one and y’all should keep in on your radar!
Also, they translated Fly’s artwork incredibly well here?? It was a lot more than I expected, plus the theme song is nice and the visuals are a treat.
Jan 8, 2021 6:22 AM

Jun 2020
Both of the main characters seem like people I would purposefully ignore if they were in my class.
Jan 8, 2021 6:25 AM

Jun 2019
Gamer Hachiman.
Enjoyed the first episode. Looks like it has the potential to be a promising show. The animation is really good as well. But my dude is really like some of us out there. So, yes relatable.
Jan 8, 2021 6:30 AM
Apr 2019
I'd be super disappointed if the girlfriend ended up being Aoi herself .
Good start ,i had read only upto the point they went to Aoi's home, want to continue now
Jan 8, 2021 6:35 AM

Dec 2019
Nice... I already don't like it. Unpleasant protagonist and main girl. Side characters don't seem that appealing also. It's simplifying social interactions a bit too much. I am interested though because it gives a - fake it till you make it vibe.

Well, Let's see how this series goes! I have some hope.

»»Delievers Here««
★・・・・・・★

"Today might be the chance to grasp
the chance to let your talent bloom" -Tooru Oikawa

-Signature from Annie_Law

Jan 8, 2021 6:36 AM

Oct 2017
Pretty interesting premise, kind of similar to Oregairu. Tomozaki's character seemed kinda edgy at first but the last half of the episode made me think otherwise. Also I thought Minami was too arrogant at first but she's actually a sweety. Thou I'm not gonna like the character Okamoto Nobuhiko's voicing. As usual that's proly gonna be the most annoying character of this anime cause he already seems pretty annoying.

I understand where both Tomozaki and Minami's coming from. Thou lol I wasn't expecting such a drastic shift of events so soon. Like I didn't think Tomozaki would accept Minami's proposal and start to change himself right from the begining.

Decent start for now with great potential. After the first few mins it felt pretty cringe but the later half of the show was a lot better.
Jan 8, 2021 6:41 AM

Sep 2019
KANLen09 said:
LOLS the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for Nintendo Switch rip-off. Truly the God-tier game of the franchise.
This refference was gold.

Pretty much like that one Netoge anime that was produced by the same studio some years ago (Project No.9), a NEET and the girl destined to change his life, it'd be hard for this to compete with Horimiya coming out tomorrow.
Why would this be competing with Horimiya? Horimiya's a relaxing slice of life / romcom while this is a drama romance with drama as main focus.
Jan 8, 2021 6:44 AM

May 2020
I'm already loving Hinami's character. She's spunky, confident, and on top of that, she's a gamer girl!

On the other hand, I find Tomozaki's socially awkward self to be somewhat relatable to my younger self. But man, his personality is very depressing and his inner monologue is very cringey. He definitely needs that life coaching from Hinami lol.

I really think that this show really has great potential, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Tomozaki is going to accomplish his tasks and improve as a person.

ERROR-88Jan 8, 2021 7:26 AM
Jan 8, 2021 6:49 AM

Feb 2016
Dreamxer said:
Nice... I already don't like it. Unpleasant protagonist and main girl. Side characters don't seem that appealing also. It's simplifying social interactions a bit too much. I am interested though because it gives a - fake it till you make it vibe.

Well, Let's see how this series goes! I have some hope.

My sentiments exactly... although I am not quite as hopeful.

NakolHira said:
I'd be super disappointed if the girlfriend ended up being Aoi herself .
Good start ,i had read only upto the point they went to Aoi's home, want to continue now

I would go even further and wager that she intended to groom him into a suitable boyfriend pretty much right from the start.

Heavy sigh...
Jan 8, 2021 6:52 AM
Apr 2019
I thought this would be another Hiscore Girl vibes on it, but it was just like Oregairu in a subtle way. Gonna read the light novel afterwards.
Jan 8, 2021 6:55 AM

Aug 2020
Tomozaki's goals look like they're going to make this series an enjoyable one. He's a relatable kid who's offline life is normal in itself. I hope he changes more and more so he can find a girlfriend in the future. But I have a hunch who his girlfriend is gonna be.
Jan 8, 2021 7:01 AM

Dec 2014
Liking Hinami more than Tomozaki, I find it easier to empathize with her viewpoint than Tomozaki as someone who's been a 'gamer' since I was young. I disliked her initial attitude towards Tomozaki when she called him a loser just by looking at him which I felt was coming on a little too harsh but she made up for it pretty fast later on.

Truth be told, it was kinda hard to sit through some of Tomozaki's outburst regarding his circumstances as a 'bottom-tier character', too much self loathing but he does seem like a decent guy. Props to Hinami for listening to him and trying to give some good advice.

Decent episode overall and the show could be interesting because of the Hinami - Tomozaki dynamic. Will look forward to what's next.
Jan 8, 2021 7:04 AM

Mar 2019
coming without any ideas about this one, I have to say it really surprised me in a positive way...

i mean they play - let's say - Smash Bros on Yontendo...

Well the game of life is thne hardest I guess? Aren't we all trying to beat that?
Jan 8, 2021 7:04 AM

Jul 2019
Ok that was a pretty funny episode. I was laughing at some moments that were written poorly, some that were relatable, and just some funny scenes overall.

This is all over the place so far but it seems very enjoyable.

MC is more of Keima Katsuragi than Hachiman tbh.

Also. What is my guy Light Yagami doing here?
NextUniverseJan 8, 2021 7:11 AM
Jan 8, 2021 7:20 AM
Apr 2020
They did a good job portraying my boi Fumiya. Great job team, and really catchy op
Jan 8, 2021 7:25 AM

Jul 2019
prok_anime said:
With AOT out, I think this will have to try much harder to break through all the hype around it.

Jan 8, 2021 7:28 AM
Jul 2019
The first episode of Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun was a nice introduction and promising set up to this series. It’s kinda similar to Oregairu in a way with a setup to a drama-focused romance series in a high school setting with an added touch of gaming culture. I’m also really interested in the chemistry between Tomozaki and Hinami as she is helping Tomozaki get used to real life again, and I’m sure their relationship will develop in some way. I might give the LN a read someday, but overall this series is very promising and I’ll be down to seeing this weekly.
Jan 8, 2021 7:43 AM
Nov 2020
Had to pause it a few times because of how cringy the protag is but other than that had a good watch not excepting it to be Oregairu good but still worth watching
Jan 8, 2021 7:45 AM
Dec 2010
The anime is very realistic, I was cringing through the whole thing, perfect depiction of smash players.
Jan 8, 2021 7:54 AM

Jul 2017
I read the first 4 volumes of this series a while ago, and yep, Aoi Hinami is still really unlikable at the start and Tomozaki's still cringey as hell at points with the gaming references still overdone (but at least Tomozaki improves for me sort later on despite some really cringey moments happening later on too). It's a solid idea of improving his life for the better by tackling it as a game of life, but the things they do in this show already just feels superficial to say the least with the most basic advice possible at the start. Might as well read a WikiHow for a playthrough.

The anime is a decent adaptation I'd say of the start, but the content still is pretty shallow so doesn't really save the premiere for me.

At least the art looks solid like the LN designs in general, even if really basic at the same time.
Jan 8, 2021 8:03 AM
Dec 2018
I can relate a lot of things that the mc says. I am also trying to change myself with the mc. Except I am not interested in binding me to a single person. Hope it won't become bad. I am going to play the life game. (I am sure I will be the same loner even after this) doesn't hurt trying.
Jan 8, 2021 8:06 AM

Jan 2016
I've been waiting for this one! The novels are amazing but this show will probably trigger incels who'll misunderstand what the anime is about
Jan 8, 2021 8:07 AM

May 2017
Getting serious incel vibes from the MC. Talking about the unfairness of life, facial structure, looks. Girl is the 'winner' version of Misaki from Welcome to the Nhk. I'm surprised she didn't whip out a contract.
Jan 8, 2021 8:17 AM
Jul 2018
Aoi's speech, was something that I was not expecting to get emotional about, lots of people will say this but Tomozaki to some is quite relatable, feeling like life is unfair, blaming it on life and staying Isolated but what Aoi said to him just made me realise that I really am not putting in the effort and if I did I could see life as more than just tedious and lonely.
Jan 8, 2021 8:27 AM

Aug 2013
I was planning to read the source materials for this but unfortunately, I wasn't able to make time for it.

I really liked Hinami a lot after the second half. She really wants to help out Tomozaki, which she respects as a gamer. It would be fun to see him transform through this season, especially when he wants to talk to girls.

And wow was Tomozaki's sister ruthless. That got to hurt. XD

Jan 8, 2021 8:29 AM
Aug 2020
FireFistYK said:
I've been waiting for this one! The novels are amazing but this show will probably trigger incels who'll misunderstand what the anime is about
Yes, it most definitely will, being someone who read the LN, and based on what some people are saying, it already is.
Jan 8, 2021 8:48 AM

Nov 2017
This guy is a capital G gamer
Jan 8, 2021 8:49 AM

Feb 2019
I love this already. I think it’ll be in my top 5 of the season for sure. The humour lands and I see a lot of potential for growth out of the MC. One thing that really stuck out to me is the voice acting. I can already tell weirdos are gonna rate it lowly because “wah wah Incel MC”
Marinate1016Jan 8, 2021 8:58 AM
Jan 8, 2021 8:54 AM

Jan 2020
Nice to see they kept the monologues from the LN, they definitely are cringey but that's what Tomozaki was in the beginning and depicts him very well but he started changing pretty quick so no complain there
Jan 8, 2021 8:56 AM
Jul 2020
Pretty interesting concept to change the mc
Jan 8, 2021 9:07 AM

Apr 2020
One of my most anticipated this Winter, and wow it paid off. Tomozaki that is shitty in a game called life is being helped by a girl who respect him in a game called Tackfam. Wow I connected so much with the main character, just as much as freaking Sakuta from Bunny Girl Senpai, oh wow.

Like the way he moves, the way he acts is almost like an anime version of me, and I am connecting with it more than I would expect (btw don't take my self loathing seriously). And aren't we glad that our heroine Aoi Hinami is literally a carbon copy of Chizuru. That was a compliment btw cause we need more good Chizuru copies in anime, only that she's not up for rent and that she's a GAMER GIRL.

This is looking like an anime I will definitely love and if it speaks to me more and that if it executes its goal in the end, this has a potential to be my non-sequel AOTS (unless if Horimiya is better). Anyways good start to the anime, I'm worried though for a harem route as we saw in the ED/OP. But Tomozaki, I will follow your weekly adventures from being a low-tier character to an established normie!
raiderublazeJan 8, 2021 9:10 AM
Jan 8, 2021 9:18 AM

Sep 2020
This turned out to be a little similar to Oregairu with the MC's!

Tomozaki-Kun thinks "Life is a Garbage game".
Hinami Aoi Now turns out to be 'NO NAME' and offers to help Tomozaki-Kun to make life a god-tier game.

It's off to a good start, let's see what's next!! XD
Jan 8, 2021 9:19 AM

Oct 2018
Bottom-tier Tomozaki-kun! Interesting title! Also Tomozaki-kun is basically Hachiman Hikigaya 2.0! Unpopular but is a god-tier gamer in Trackfam!

With bottom-tier character Tomozaki-kun meeting a top-tier character Aoi Hinami! He's now on a journey to become a good-looking normie person! But the question is how this anime will go now? I'm looking forward for this game of life anime!
Forum set made by Nate
Jan 8, 2021 9:22 AM

Jan 2015
This shit is so cringe. I don't even know if I can finish the episode. Do you guys actually think like this MC?
Jan 8, 2021 9:23 AM

Mar 2020
"Talk to three girls a day." Fumiya you are screwed.

This is the kind of show I eat. I beat down, lonely, useless, loser with nothing going for him finds the drive to live and play the godly game of life.

Let's see this disgrace of a gamer transform into the ultimate gamer.
Jan 8, 2021 9:23 AM

Jul 2016
I read these LN before the anime so I can say that the anime adapt it good. And the characters are interesting. The art and chara design is not on par with FLY illustration, but still good. The pace is seems fast.

The OP is the most catchy of this season. Overall pretty good start

Jan 8, 2021 9:27 AM
Jun 2020
I can relate..I was a true trash loner chara in high school...before college i worked out & stuff & became a normal chara..after college,I have reached popular tier but i love the loner me so much it does not matter..still,it makes me content to work hard to make myself better...Start trying now and you might reach beyond your expectations in some years..I still feel that there is much room to improve
Jan 8, 2021 9:50 AM

Feb 2019
There is a lot to take in with this show, and virtually all of it is a ugly and horrifying. Mostly, it's the long speech towards the end about how life and society are fair for everybody, and nobody is born with anything more than superficial advantages or disadvantages that can be overcome with a little effort. I don't even know where to begin with that one.
Whether you want to take it on from a wealth angle, a racial angle, or any of a dozen others, it's… uh, certainly one hell of a central thesis to lay down.

Which such impeccable timing to real world incidents too! It's pretty difficult to try to see it in the more charitable light of "we can all change and be better people for ourselves and others" when every single character is a massive asshole. This includes the manic pixie girl. She acted friendly in school, then upon running into him later, starts endlessly rattling off that she thinks he's actually a loser that she actually has nothing but disgust for and her previous friendliness was just an act.

And all of them have Marty McFly brain rot because everything hinges on being called a chicken (facepalm). The lesson from learning that the person you were worshipping as a god thirty seconds ago is also secretly a massive jackass, but also well-liked, should probably not be... "teach me to fake it like you." I mean, it certainly could be, if the show gave any indication that it understood these were all horrible people, but it most certainly does not. She's great and totally right in every way. We should all be more like her, looking down on those we think are dregs. They deserve their suffering for not trying hard enough.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jan 15, 2021

125 by EngeLxS »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2021

181 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 4, 3:37 PM

Poll: » Which is your favorite ship?

TheCryBabyHero - Nov 22, 2023

16 by Nathan_Murphy »»
May 2, 3:13 AM

» Anyone else disappointed on whom does tomozaki date? (LN SPOILERS)

Elma_fer - Mar 20, 2021

23 by Mikhail0703 »»
Mar 28, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2021

201 by Komlan_6 »»
Feb 25, 8:03 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.