Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 12, 2010 3:23 PM

Aug 2009
guyklc said:
Guys, guys, how about I make a thread for Japanese propaganda/war crimes here? That way, all of you guys who want to rant can rant there, and all of you guys who are interested can go there and read. That way, we won't have to spam this thread up with offtopic historical rants.

Please do that. It's not like you're helping it stay on-topic
Apr 12, 2010 3:38 PM

Aug 2008
Already did.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Apr 12, 2010 4:20 PM

Aug 2008
I'll just re-post this, since my ego is telling me it didn't get enough attention outside of the first sentence.

noteDhero said:
I know nothing about the intricacies of China/Japan/Korea tensions during this time period, being an ignorant American. Thusly, I will only comment on the coherency of the plot, and all the other mechanics of the episode/show going forward. As such, I don't see what the big fuss is over the show from that standpoint. The production values are high, but as of the first episode, there was little to no effort in introducing the characters outside of their powers, and that worries me a little for a 13 episode show. So far, it feels like they'll have to juggle plot, politics, characters, fantasy, and historical fiction. Part of me feels like this episode was a bit wasted because it went into details about politics without setting up the structure, and then proceeded to do run-of-the-mill infiltration with the flair of telepathic abilities. Then the bad attempts at comedy only further put me off from what was going on. It also doesn't help that all of the characters are very generic in design and quite uninspired from that standpoint.

I hope it gets better because I love all the ideas at the core. It has almost every single element that I adore.
Apr 12, 2010 5:32 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
noteDhero said:
I'll just re-post this, since my ego is telling me it didn't get enough attention outside of the first sentence.

noteDhero said:
I know nothing about the intricacies of China/Japan/Korea tensions during this time period, being an ignorant American. Thusly, I will only comment on the coherency of the plot, and all the other mechanics of the episode/show going forward. As such, I don't see what the big fuss is over the show from that standpoint. The production values are high, but as of the first episode, there was little to no effort in introducing the characters outside of their powers, and that worries me a little for a 13 episode show. So far, it feels like they'll have to juggle plot, politics, characters, fantasy, and historical fiction. Part of me feels like this episode was a bit wasted because it went into details about politics without setting up the structure, and then proceeded to do run-of-the-mill infiltration with the flair of telepathic abilities. Then the bad attempts at comedy only further put me off from what was going on. It also doesn't help that all of the characters are very generic in design and quite uninspired from that standpoint.

I hope it gets better because I love all the ideas at the core. It has almost every single element that I adore.

I understand your feelings, your first sentence branded you as "ignorant American" by most posters LOL....Things can get scary once people are blindly focused on one mindset.

Seriously, I'm glad someone opened another thread to discuss history. An episode discussion remains an episode discussion.

The animation was great... the characters, so-so... As of now, other than the fact that this level of obviously Japanese Chinese/Mandarin (heck why are they speaking Pekinese/Mandarin in Shanghai in 1930??) can make them spies.....I might just as well infiltrate the Somali Pirates by now....(I'm obviously Asian, by the way)

Other than that, can't say much, need to watch at least 2-3 episodes. Tricky subjects were touched (i.e. Co-prosperity sphere) but that's about it. I'm not so hardcore on that.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 13, 2010 12:44 AM

Apr 2010
That was a great episode. I'm definitely going to watch this. The animation is very impressive and I really liked the characters (especially Aoi). So let us just watch and enjoy the show apart from the past events ;)
Apr 13, 2010 9:16 AM

Oct 2009
it has a very baccano-ish feel. i like ^^
Apr 14, 2010 12:53 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I don't speak a work of Mandarin and even I could tell it was quite bad XD

So far, I really like this. The art style is really cool, and it's animated really well. I think the concept of each of them having a unique power is awesome! I loved the way they showed them teleporting. The two main guys are cool characters, each with their own personality.

I'm looking forward to episode 2!
p r o f i l e ๐Ÿ‘€
Apr 14, 2010 5:55 AM

Jan 2008
Senkou no Night Raid throws us right into its fast-paced action and political plot, introducing a group of Japanese "superspies", diverse, each with their own abilities. The first episode I certainly can't call a slow one, it's interesting from the very first minute to the ending (which is a great tune by the way, I just think they could've thought about a different animation), keeping the viewer on the edge of his seat all the time.

The strongest point of this anime certainly is the action, fast fight scenes, nicely animated with beautiful background music, setting the theme perfectly, it's almost like the James Bond action scenes, just set in a different time, with spies having supernatural powers. Awesome.

There's not really much to complain. As the first episode, it doesn't fail at all in getting me to download and eagerly watch the next one, I just hope it matches the good level of this one.

8/10
Apr 15, 2010 5:52 AM

Dec 2007
What the hell, MUCC in my animu? Now I'll have to finish watching this, no matter how bad it might turn out to be.
Apr 16, 2010 2:22 AM

Sep 2009
Well, I must say, I really enjoyed this episode! This was one of the series I had high hopes for this season, and it certainly hasn't disappointed. I like that the Chinese people actually spoke Chinese, as opposed to inexplicably speaking Japanese as in every other show.

It seems to have a very Baccano sort of feel to it, and the abilities they use are quite reminiscent of Darker Than Black. I can't wait for more background on those.

Personally, i'd say this has the makings of a truly great show. I just hope the other sides of the conflict get fleshed out more, because at the moment they seem very two-dimensional.
Apr 21, 2010 5:21 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Where is episode 2!? D:
p r o f i l e ๐Ÿ‘€
Apr 28, 2010 12:42 AM

Nov 2009
Aoi's mandarin is shocking. haha
It's hard to understand what he is saying, and most of the time i feel like laughing. Lol
Kazura's mandarin is much better than his.
Oh well... but it is a great attempt to use the language of the locals since they are in china.
May 6, 2010 5:33 AM

Jun 2009
Not bad, not bad at all. I quite liked it, think I'll stick with it.

I lol'd. Oh, Commie.

People need to read this. Stop getting butthurt you fucking bitches.
loghneckbeardMay 6, 2010 5:49 AM
May 7, 2010 5:30 AM

Mar 2009
It wasn't a 'wow' first episode, but I'm definitely interested in the series.
May 11, 2010 6:34 PM

Nov 2007
The mandarin they speak is quite broken.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
May 12, 2010 4:36 PM
Apr 2010
Vizard said:
The mandarin they speak is quite broken.

the german is worse
May 19, 2010 9:02 AM

Dec 2009
I don't understand chineese/mandarin but it's nice too see some anime use more languages ..
I swear this looks like the perfect Darker than BLACK ripp-off XDD.
May 21, 2010 6:10 PM

Sep 2009
i thought i downloaded some weird version when i first heard the mandurin haha then when the japanese came on i was relived
May 25, 2010 5:54 AM

Mar 2009
Their mandarin was horrible and funny x)
An interesting anime although it didint impress me so much.

Btw, that Kazura guy's ability reminded me Jumper :d
Dec 14, 2010 6:48 AM

Nov 2008
hahhahahahahahahaha at the mandarin
Aug 5, 2012 7:45 PM

Nov 2011
That Mandarin spoken in the beginning..weird. The guy with the hat definitely speaks it better though imo but other than that, good series so far.
Sep 22, 2012 3:19 PM

Oct 2008
It reminds me so much of Darker Than Black. I don't think that it will be as good, but it should be a good watch.

Nov 30, 2012 6:57 PM

Jul 2011
LOL. The Mandarin had some native speakers, but you could definitely tell who were voiced by Japanese people. The Chinese sounds so weird. XD

I loved it. I didn't think it would reach my expectations, since the rank was so low (I don't see why that is right now).
But I think it has almost gone above my expectations. Great episode. :D
Oct 27, 2013 10:27 AM

Nov 2009
Okay first episode, I'm kind of just hoping this doesn't turn in to something like Charlie's Angels only with Superhumans instead of chicks.
May 11, 2014 2:23 AM

Jul 2008
There seems to be some character depth here which is good, I also like the time setting as well as actually attempting to use other languages. Then add in some supernatural powers for some extra fun. Definitely interested in this one.
Aug 27, 2014 12:17 PM

May 2012
Pretty nice action for the first episode, a bit slow paced but well I do wonder what the rest of the anime will offer us, coming from the 0 episode special it sure does seem quite interesting!
RafaelDeJonghAug 27, 2014 1:08 PM
Apr 18, 2016 10:30 PM

Aug 2015
The broken Mandarin sounds even worse than your typical anime's broken English. I'm dying. Hearing a few of the extras speak proper Mandarin is a much needed break.

I find it funny how Chinese characters are drawn with stereotypically slantier eyes even though the slant eye stereotype applies to all East Asians, which includes the Japanese. Why you do this, Japan.

Nice art, though.
whitherApr 18, 2016 10:37 PM
Feb 4, 2017 5:33 PM
Jul 2016
I'm kind of offended as a Chinese. Like they go around killing a bunch of Chinese and they don't care afterward. -.- And they drew like every Chinese person so ugly. And they don't mention that they literally went to attack them. And apparently their excuse is because they kidnapped the chairman. The reason why they kidnapped the chairman is because they attacked them and they are self defensing. They also said that apparently shanghai is a very dangerous city and they called it a "devil's city". then they even got a character to cry about how hard shanghai is. Not to mention, they pronounced the Chinese words so awfully. Like I know they might not be able to speak Chinese well because they are Japanese. but when they go around killing a bunch of chinese and making them like idiots and animals, it's kind of offensive.
FireKittyWatch
Nov 2, 2017 8:28 PM

Dec 2013
I kind of like the teleportation part. I think I'm beginning to like the story. I'm not very familiar with Chinese language or so, so I have no comment. Can't wait to watch more of the eps

โ˜…โ”โ”โ”€
๐˜๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ต?
๐˜ž๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ข๐˜ฃ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ช๐˜ต ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜บ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ?

Jan 22, 2019 3:02 PM

May 2010
Wow I am surprised they didn't get caught with their horrible Mandarin!
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 11, 2019 1:15 PM
Jul 2018
This seems wannabe Darker than Black except not really interesting really especially the main characters seems very standard and doesn't standout much than most similar protagonist I've seen through. Yukina's look cute though but that's it.
Nov 25, 2019 12:34 PM

Aug 2008
SkyDrop said:
This seems wannabe Darker than Black except not really interesting really especially the main characters seems very standard and doesn't standout much than most similar protagonist I've seen through. Yukina's look cute though but that's it.
It's really not very similar to Darker than Black beyond the surface aspect of the characters having super powers with usage limitations. Ultimately though the series is much more about the real world history surrounding the characters/story than the story itself and in that regard I do think it's very interesting. Unfortunately, this is a period of history is that frequently glossed over and without a reasonable understanding of the zeitgeist this anime will seem VERY flat as it won't mach much of an attempt to contextualize things for you until episode 7 or so.

It's not a masterpiece or anything but it was definitely marketed as something completely different than what it actually is.

If you're looking for something more like Darker than Black I'd suggest Hamatora.
bbobjsNov 25, 2019 12:58 PM
Sep 24, 2021 5:17 AM

Aug 2017
The animation is kinda bad sometimes especially during the action scenes but I enjoyed the episode.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 5 Discussion

ShanaFlame - May 3, 2010

42 by Dywei »»
Jan 29, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jun 28, 2010

54 by SlammyHammy »»
Apr 19, 2023 8:26 PM

» Japan's War Propaganda and Crimes

guyklc - Apr 12, 2010

38 by Neostorm-X »»
Jul 18, 2022 4:28 PM

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - May 17, 2010

68 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 24, 2022 11:11 AM

Poll: » Senkou no Night Raid Episode 9 Discussion

tsubasalover - May 31, 2010

26 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 22, 2022 10:32 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.