Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 9:57 AM

Nov 2011
Holo's status as a wolf and origin along with how Elsa's connection to the church is fairly interesting this episode imo.

Once again, they protray Holo with a lot of emotions, most of them human-like. In these recent episodes, the show strives off from the economic elements and more into the lore of the church and their influence.
Sep 2, 9:58 AM

May 2020
I mean I don’t disagree with Lawrence and Holo’s plan of barging(not quite) into the church in the pretence of offering a prayer and then revealing their intentions to throw off the church girl, but man, was all of this not uber shocking for the little girl, I mean add Holo showing her true self over that… she literally collapsed lol. But hey, those two didn’t mean harm at all, so there’s nothing wrong with it, and Elsa kind of realized that too.

I liked the part of Lawrence’s conversation with both Elsa and Holo, about the gods and whatnot, and even the bit of his and Holo’s heart-to-heart, but yeah, they have the texts now, and can finally have a clue they’ve been searching for all this while. Means the build-up phase of this arc is kind of done, and we’d finally have the stakes from the next episode. I mean the wheat has caused problems, so you know, it's already the start of troubles.
Sep 2, 10:48 AM

Feb 2019
Another week not being married to holo sigh. Great episode though, Elsa won’t be letting her guard down around anymore wandering merchants that’s for sure after she fainted from Lawrence’s trick lol.

I was confused about why everyone was keeping the abbey and its books so secretive, but it makes sense when I think about how the existence of pagan gods challenges a lot of the church’s existing doctrine and teachings. But I like that Fr. Franz kinda viewed it the opposite way, instead seeing the pagan gods as further proof of God’s existence. Kinda like the irl science and religion historical debates

I really wanna know more about the moon hunting beat though. We probably won’t get that solved in this season so hopefully we get a second one. It was cute seeing Holo get all frustrated because she didn’t know what she wanted to do when they find Yoitsu. Her whole purpose has just been getting there so far

Elsa and Evan are so cute! I kinda ship it. Love the dinner scene

That cliffhanger tho! A murder mystery? This is gonna be interesting. The way they barged in the church I really thought they were gonna try and hurt Lawrence and it’s clear the townspeople did too cause even they looked shocked when the elder said they weren’t there to hurt them lmao.
Marinate1016Sep 2, 12:53 PM
Sep 2, 11:17 AM

Dec 2021
Poor nun fr got played like a fiddle by Lawrence and Holo being the final attack to get her to pass out lol. They got what they've been desperately wanted though, so that's that.

Holo teasing Lawrence as always will never not be funny. The wheat has caused some problems, it seems. Just as they finally got the answer, and or clue, they've been looking for

Sep 2, 11:24 AM

Jul 2017
Lawrence and Holo trying to allay Elsa's fears of Father Franz's late passing, and then also still try to get directions to Diendran Abbey through prayer before the altar, he's truly cunning, only with the help of Holo to investigate more about the Church and its dealings with the Enberch Church, hidden behind locked doors for a good reason, hiding the stories of old that to the average person, will sound like nonsense, but is genuine knowledge to pagan gods like Holo proving that there isn't a God. Truly, Franz was awaiting such a time when the secret would come to light knowing both Lawrence and Holo would come to the culmination of his secret-stashed truth.

Clearly, both Elsa and Evan are related to each other, and as promised, Lawrence shares his experiences with them, and Holo gets jealous that he's talking about their relationship, as if that they're not the same thing when it comes to specifics, like a human with a pagan god, the latter having feelings for the former. As suspected, finding irrefutable evidence about the moon-hunting bear, as well as Enberch's stringent surveillance...but what this about village head Sem and his people targeting the both of them with the news that someone from Enberch dying from the consumption of wheat from their village?

An affair that will rock the small town, it's gonna get ugly...
Sep 2, 11:34 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Man Holo's little trick sure ended up having much more of an effect than they thought. Quite the disguise though using a statue to hide the door. As someone thats been to many different cities and towns in the land Lawrence is ideal for providing advice. Its unfortunate that in this land the church only see's their god as the true god and everything else as heretics. It was cute seeing Elsa and Evans bond. Still a murder mystery just as they are on the verge of finding Holo's home what poor timing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 11:42 AM
Sep 2015
This episode is very dark, and by dark I mean low brightness, which make sense since it happen inside the church at night.
Sep 2, 11:44 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
I loved this episode, the vibe was just very good.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Sep 2, 11:55 AM
Jul 2024
Well, damn, ANOTHER cliffhanger. My fingernails are turning black & blue now. LOL But this could be very bad. BTW, under a blanket next to each other is NOT how a traveling nun would sleep. I'm just saying. ROFLMAO
Sep 2, 12:00 PM
Apr 2023
Are the 2 people who voted "i hated" okay? Or are they God-fearing and this chapter disturbs them?
Sep 2, 12:19 PM

Jul 2024
Lawrence and Holo looking awfully cuddly this episode
Sep 2, 12:23 PM

Jan 2023
Elsa probably got the fear of her life seeing Holo's ears, but she soon get back on her feet. She also get over her religious doubts fairly quickly.
That's what I always liked about Elsa: she's strong, courageous and resilient.
Also, she is very independent-minded and is able to reason for herself and by herself in surprising/difficult situations.
On that point she is pretty similar to Lawrence and Holo.

I also loved the dinner scene with the four of them (Lawrence, Holo, Elsa, Evan), as it has always been one of my favorites in the fourth book.
You can feel the personality of everyone pretty easily, and they immediately all feel like a group of good friends, despite only meeting very recently.

This episode also had some extremely cute Holo/Lawrence moments, I just can't get enough of them getting along like that :)

Last but not least, that ending is quite the cliffhanger.
We do not know yet what the village chief wants with Lawrence but the villagers seem very tense for sure.

Overall, a very good episode!

MeguSae38Sep 2, 12:26 PM
Sep 2, 1:24 PM

Dec 2013
That cliffhanger, it seems not even the villagers even knew what they were even going to do with that reaction from them.
Sep 2, 3:15 PM
Oct 2016
Lawrence taking the direct approach now going right to Elsa asking about the stories Father Franz collected. I liked how he used the guise of a confessional to get in the door then was like oh yeah I'm confessing to lying to you just now. Lawrence business acumen coming in handy during situations like this is fun to see. He didn't come to Elsa until he had figured out basically what was going on here at this church. Not only that Father Franz had actually collected those stories of pagan gods but that this church is the Abbey they've been looking for. It was essentially converted to hide what it used to be. Father Franz was one hell of a chameleon blending in like a normal church priest while also gathering a massive collection of stories regarding pagan gods. Elsa definitely lightened up once Lawrence told her his true intentions for being there, Holo revealing herself to be a pagan god certainly shocked her which was funny. Elsa showing them the secret stash in a back room under A statue no less. A basement filled with tales of exactly what Lawrence and Holo have been looking for. It turned out to be a double edged sword since there's so much to read through it will take much longer than anticipated. I loved the double date scene with the two, essentially couples, sharing A big meal. It was very cute. Lawrence and Holo were making good headway just as some terrible news arrives at the village. The elder said they meant no ill intent but a big group of guys with sticks walking towards someone can usually only mean one thing. Lawrence better watch out.
Sep 2, 3:15 PM
Oct 2016
Lawrence taking the direct approach now going right to Elsa asking about the stories Father Franz collected. I liked how he used the guise of a confessional to get in the door then was like oh yeah I'm confessing to lying to you just now. Lawrence business acumen coming in handy during situations like this is fun to see. He didn't come to Elsa until he had figured out basically what was going on here at this church. Not only that Father Franz had actually collected those stories of pagan gods but that this church is the Abbey they've been looking for. It was essentially converted to hide what it used to be. Father Franz was one hell of a chameleon blending in like a normal church priest while also gathering a massive collection of stories regarding pagan gods. Elsa definitely lightened up once Lawrence told her his true intentions for being there, Holo revealing herself to be a pagan god certainly shocked her which was funny. Elsa showing them the secret stash in a back room under A statue no less. A basement filled with tales of exactly what Lawrence and Holo have been looking for. It turned out to be a double edged sword since there's so much to read through it will take much longer than anticipated. I loved the double date scene with the two, essentially couples, sharing A big meal. It was very cute. Lawrence and Holo were making good headway just as some terrible news arrives at the village. The elder said they meant no ill intent but a big group of guys with sticks walking towards someone can usually only mean one thing. Lawrence better watch out.
Sep 2, 3:21 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Lawrence really played Elsa like a fiddle there lol, I knew he was about to turn that “confession” back on her, and then Holo went and spooked Elsa with her cute wolf ears to further troll her, definitely a bit mean but how else were they gonna get Elsa to let them see those books, I respect the plays lol. And due to the sheer amount of books, Lawrence and Holo are now having to stick around for a while longer just to look through them all, a tough job but what else was there to do in these times, a feast of books is pretty awesome lol.

The little romance bits in this one were great too, we got a tidbit of how Elsa and Evan are together which is definitely cute, and there were quite the nice Holo and Lawrence moments in this one too, gotta love how Holo went and made it looks as sus as possible when Elsa walked in on them lol. But along with the sweet moments came from serious ones, like Lawrence asking Holo what she plans to do when she gets home, guess she hadn’t thought that far ahead yet lol, we’re far out from that but it’s something she’ll have to think about eventually. And I had a feeling Lawrence and Holo wouldn’t simply be able to read unbothered for the rest of the arc, the stuff regarding the bear was sounding really interesting but now someone is dead and Lawrence is in hot water, things are about to get intense.
Sep 2, 3:25 PM

Sep 2018
I don't remember this arc from the original. Did it get to this past in the 08 version?
Sep 2, 3:53 PM
Jul 2015
Reply to GakutoDeathGlare
I don't remember this arc from the original. Did it get to this past in the 08 version?
@GakutoDeathGlare This arc was not adapted in the 08 version
Sep 2, 3:53 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to GakutoDeathGlare
@GakutoDeathGlare

They didnt adapt this arc in the original. it was skipped
Sep 2, 4:21 PM

Jan 2008
So we finally get the scene of the two pairs eating dinner together in the church from the OP theme. Although the food layout was a little different.

"We have not appeared before you because of ill intentions"...as the known liar geezer chief says, with a whole gang of villagers with big sticks. Sure, buddy.

If somebody in Enberch died eating the wheat from their village, what the hell does that have anything to do with Lawrence? Especially when people can die for any other number of reasons, like not washing their hands of fecal matter before eating and ending up dying from diarrhea...something that still happens in many places with poor sanitation. My guess is the village chief was planning on pinning the blame on Lawrence, saying one of his bags of wheat got mixed up with theirs. Regardless of whether that's true or not, them using brute force and intimidation tactics against Lawrence just makes him clearly the villain here. I wouldn't be surprised if they put a black bag over their heads while saying some BS like "Relax, we just want to talk" before turning them over to Enberch and going "It was them! They poisoned the supply to sabotage us!"

Next week: "Orchestrated catastrophe and appropriate retribution"...yup, definitely a setup of some sort.

Things are getting heated...and with 3/5 episodes left until the end, we're entering the climax of the finale. I wonder if they'll announce a 2nd season.
Estoy_GordoSep 2, 4:26 PM
Sep 2, 5:00 PM

Jul 2022
Lawrence was very clever to deceive Elsa to enter the church and get her to confess her lies directly to him. I didn't expect Holo to show her true form to Elsa, but that helped Elsa hand over the stories that Father Franz had collected. At the same time, it made Elsa question the existence of God; the good thing is she hasn't lost her faith and seems to be following Father Franz's path of searching for the existence of God through the existence of pagan gods.

The moments between Holo and Lawrence continue to be the best part, and seeing them envious of Evan and Elsa's relationship was funny. But, like Lawrence, the only doubt I have about his relationship with Holo is how far it will go will they stay together, or will they part ways when they reach Holo's hometown?

The leader of Tereo village seems to have bad intentions when he brings the whole village with sticks against Lawrence. Luckily, Lawrence belongs to the merchant guild. If someone died because of the wheat in Emberch, Lawrence has nothing to do with it; it's likely that Emberch did something with Tereo's wheat to frame them and take over their lands since they can't collect taxes.
Sep 2, 5:56 PM

Dec 2010
This episode gives us a nice lesson about religion.

Doubting and believing in God is faith. It is through doubting God that we find Him.

Blind faith is not enough.
Sep 2, 6:59 PM

Jul 2024
Jealous Holo is always welcome
Sep 2, 10:49 PM

Feb 2014
I'm impressed with how Lawrence was able to easily trick Elsa with his "confession" plan after being let into the church, which then led to Elsa fainting after seeing Holo's ears. The poor girl had it rough! XD

Still, after all of that, Elsa did help out Lawrence and Holo with letting them use the books that she stored in the church's secret room and learn more about what Father Franz did when he was still alive. The way that he viewed the pagan gods was very intriguing, since the normal view of them would be something the church would outright reject.

The episode had plenty of wholesome moments, especially when all three of them, along with Evan, had dinner together, while Lawrence and Holo had their usual cute moments while reading through those books. Sadly, it seems that we can't escape from tension as the townsfolk all arrived in force, where the village elder tells Lawrence that someone from Enberch was killed due to consuming wheat.

It was certainly a juicy way to end the episode on a cliffhanger. I'm excited to see how this murder mystery will be solved with 3 episodes left.
Sep 2, 11:56 PM
Oct 2019
Bruhh this guy trick her with confession in fron of god LMAO

Oh no someone died after consuming Lawrence wheat?
😱
Sep 3, 6:42 AM

Feb 2021
The truth is almost being discovered but there is always a problem after that...
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Sep 3, 6:58 AM

Jan 2018
Lmao. Lawrence got Elsa good. Elsa now knows that Holo is a pagan god. So, she's now having second thoughts about her own faith. That's sad. Lawrence is optimistic about her God's existence while Holo shoots it down once again. Of course she did. She's a pagan god. Tbh I didn't think the show would go back to the religious aspect after the first arc.

Embarrassed Holo is cute. She thinks something may be wrong with her relationship with Lawrence lol. I liked how Holo used Lawrence's lap as a pillow just like it was in the OP.

Lawrence found a book relating to the bear. I guess he can find out more about Yoitsu in that book. Good for Holo. But it's one step closer to Lawrence and Holo potentially getting separated once they reach Yoitsu. I wonder what they'd do.

Wtf happened in the end. Someone died after eating wheat bought from that village? Why did they go after Lawrence as if he sold poisonous wheat? It could be that something happened when they made it into flour or baked it into bread. Makes no sense to go after him with the intention of beating him.

The animation of this episode looked really good. There weren't as many "rough around the edges" scenes as there were in many previous episodes. I liked that. I think it's cause this episode didn't have that many characters until the very end, so the animators could make the few characters look more polished. But I liked this episode more so because it seemed to have a lot of scenes directly from the OP. That was very cool.

Can't wait for the next episode.
Sep 3, 7:02 AM
Jan 2020
If only every episode was this well directed I could pretend this whole cour didn't look bad
Sep 3, 7:52 AM
Aug 2021
can someone spoil whats gonna happen next?
Sep 3, 8:11 PM
Oct 2021
ngl i watch this on 2x and understand absolutely nothing about the mysteries or whatever
i just wanted to watch it because of the hyoe of the original but i want to fall asleep everyt ch
Sep 4, 2:19 AM

Nov 2013
Priest girl is cute. I'm glad they decided to show her who Holo is, although the poor thing fainted.

Priest girl and miller boy are so cute together. Wonder if we'll see them ever again once this arc concludes.

Looks like we have a problem with wheat...
Sep 4, 8:12 AM
Mar 2015
Our boi is worried that Holo will leave him when she finds her village
Sep 6, 5:40 PM

Jul 2016
Elsa ended up being way more helpful than I originally expected. First impressions sure aren't everything.
Sep 7, 12:36 AM

Aug 2014
This was very good episode :D That moment when Holo revealed she has ears and Elsa fainted was great :D The dialogues were also good. I have no idea what have they got to do with bread and someone dying and why the elder said he had no ill intentions?, but I am glad I waited with this episode so I can now watch next one only in 2 days.
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Sep 7, 8:39 PM

Oct 2016
Someone died? I hope Lawerence and Holo aren’t getting blamed for anything. (7/10)
Sep 10, 3:02 AM
Sep 2021
Holo's hometown clues are getting near, but they were caught in a trouble before they act their next step.
Sep 10, 7:05 AM

Oct 2017
These two can't live without attracting trouble for one arc lol but given the nature of their journey it makes sense ig. Was good to see more about the priestess and the guy, cute couple. Holo getting embarrassed was cute as well.
Sep 10, 7:06 AM

Oct 2017
Also Holo needs to make up her mind soon about what she'll do after.
Sep 11, 12:12 PM

Jun 2019
Oh shit... new troubles for them, it seems like. But, at least now we have somewhere to look and to see how things go from here. Holo is cute.
Sep 13, 8:20 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
It was strange, in Enberch died a person to eat triger!!!
kekeke
9 hours ago

May 2015
Lawrence does have a dream of becoming a town merchant, doesn't he? I think he should fully commit to sticking with Holo when she reaches her destination. Maybe that's just too idealistic of me though...

More topics from this board

» LN material

seasonanimes_ - 11 hours ago

5 by WestOnAndrewAve »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Yesterday

21 by Kisai113 »»
2 hours ago

» About the adaptation

TEMPEST_1 - Yesterday

26 by TEMPEST_1 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 9

40 by uNs7oPPaBL3 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 29

64 by Traksis »»
Yesterday, 4:29 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.