Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 6, 8:10 AM
Oct 2020
So 2b was really 2E all along?

I pray there's no delays this season.

Also the dancing 2B in the ed was great.
Jul 6, 11:21 AM
Jan 2017
Enjoying this so far. Gotta say this OP doesn't hit me like the one from Aimer. I liked that one better. Solid episode so far. Looks like 9s is still simping for 2b.
Jul 6, 12:54 PM

Jan 2018
It feels like it's been forever since the first season of NieR Automata ver. 1.1a came out. So, it shocked me when I checked that it only started airing back in Winter 2023 which was one and a half years ago. But the wait feels so much longer. The biggest reason is probably the bullshit delays. It's wild to me that it hasn't even been a year since the last episode of Season 1 came out on July 23, 2023. I hope there won't be such delays in Season 2. Otherwise waiting so long for it would be pointless.

Man, it feels good to listen to NieR's music again after so long. I missed it a lot. The nostalgia hits hard. It's crazy to me that the game will be 10 years old in just a few years. Where has time gone? It feels like it was just a few years ago when the game came out and everyone was raving about it. But it was actually 7 years ago. I'm getting old...

I like the new OP. Was not expecting LiSA to sing it. aimer did OP 1 which was one of my favorites. The new one will likely also become one of my favorites. But I do miss OP1 as I think it fit the series very well. I don't think the new OP needed to have so many spoilers in it tho. OP1 was good in that regard. Maybe the spoilers are too on the nose for me because I still remember the game fondly. Not sure how I feel about the ED. It's very creepy. And 2B dancing was unexpected.

What else was unexpected was this episode being mostly anime-original. Or maybe they adapt from the novels. I didn't think they'd handle the 2E reveal like this. But it was enjoyable even if the foreshadowing throughout the episode was obvious. Either way, Part 2 will properly start in the next episode.

Commander fanservice is one thing I didn't think the anime needed but I'm sure glad it was added. She's the most underrated NieR waifu fr. Hope there will be more of this.

Anyway, I really can't wait for the rest of the episodes. And I really hope they'll animate Replicant after this end and I think it'd benefit from an anime adaptation a lot. They even added a reference to the shrine from Replicant in this episode which I didn't catch at first until I read the comments here.
0451Jul 6, 1:00 PM
Jul 6, 2:16 PM

May 2018
A bit of a sloppy revelation of the E models.
Will Emil finally join the cast?
As usually the highlight was the mini puppet theatre at the end.

RobertBobert said:
but I hope everything is ok

We actually don't know since it's a different timeline, but knowing what happens in the game expect the unexpected (also like the dude is a hacker).
By the way there's an obvious hint in this episode that 2B have already killed 9S...maybe not that particular unit, but it could be him too. It's a reoccurring event: those models keep finding sensitive information.
alshuJul 8, 3:58 AM
Jul 6, 3:33 PM

May 2021
The games clearly weren't enough seeing as even the anime has decided to take my heart and shred it to bits. Rushed the E-model reveal a bit but it did do its task of setting the sort of mood required for whatever the hell went on at the end(I DO NOT remember that ever being shown like that).

Also, bless the anime for giving us this treat.
RioFSJul 6, 3:45 PM

Jul 6, 3:44 PM

Dec 2020
fantastic return, i'm so grateful this show exists
Jul 6, 4:03 PM

Jul 2022
NieR: Automata" is finally back. Since I haven't played the game, I'm a bit confused about what's happening, but I know it divides into several endings and this one seems to be a sad one.

Not much has changed: the soundtracks are still beautiful, as are 2B and the other YoRHa models, but this time the winner was the commander. I like the OP by LISA, but it doesn't surpass Aimer's previous one at all. However, this ED is beautiful, a piece of art, I would say.
Jul 7, 6:43 AM
Jun 2007
Hmm 2B aka 2E?!!! "killed" 9S
Jul 7, 9:30 AM

Mar 2022
I'm glad they expanded upon what was a bit ambiguous in the game, like the minor yet impactful Amnesia quest of the red hair type-E android. I was honestly bracing myself for the Mourn bgm to play lol.

Interestingly, in the game, 2B was only mentioned of having to eliminate 9S many times as he perpetually always gets close to the truth, but it's cool yet very sad to see 2B actually doing it. I wonder what's gonna happen to 9S moving forward. Are they gonna rewinding him to a state before learning of type-E and becoming suspicious?
Jul 7, 9:38 AM

Aug 2017
2b greatest and most beautiful female character ever

Loved the soundtrack
Jul 7, 10:51 AM

Apr 2024
Commander YoRHa's buttocks! 😍

Jul 7, 1:03 PM
Jun 2010
The shrine in the sandy area looked strangely familiar ... and route c is about to begin. We're off to a good start.
Jul 7, 4:00 PM
Mar 2021
didn't know Lord Commander was hiding a nuke like that O.o
Jul 8, 2:09 AM
Oct 2019
Oh boy Nier Automata is back with more 2B booty shot, also Commander huge Cake god dayum.. LMAO

What a plot twist for the first episode!!

Well let's hope there will be no more delay 🤞
Jul 8, 4:35 AM

Mar 2017
I don't know if someone has mentioned it yet, but I loved the subtle reference to Ergo Proxy in the Opening lol

Jul 8, 12:49 PM
Jan 2015
Reply to CarbonMD
2b greatest and most beautiful female character ever

Loved the soundtrack
@CarbonMD You spelled A2 wrong!
Jul 8, 1:10 PM

Aug 2021
part 1 started strong but quickly became pretty incoherent and ran into production issues. hoping for a smoother second part here. it kinda seems like one of those things you have to be a fan of the source to get though so my expectations aren't very high. at the very least, having 2B on my screen is a treat
Jul 8, 11:04 PM
Oct 2022
nice but kinda confusing
Jul 9, 7:37 AM
Jun 2023
my theory was correct imma happy
DAZAI
Jul 9, 10:42 PM
Dec 2021
Interesting to see the little bits of story change and some stay the same. Not sure if the desert temple from Nier was in Automata but it was a cool little callback. Intro wasn't as good as the first season, but I loved the little bits of glitchiness in the singer's voice in the ending credits, as well as the scenes there.
Jul 10, 10:06 PM

Feb 2008
Holy hell I do not remember killing 9S in the game. It's been far too long... I should replay it sometime.

I recently watched the part 1 in 1 week so that was good, liked the Lily content which I didn't know because I don't read books in-game. I'm really loving the series but I seriously did not remember that 2B was 2E. Impatiently waiting for next episode.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Jul 11, 8:00 PM

Oct 2016
Weird way to start, it becomes clear at the end of the episode but if not for some forums and comments I would not have fully know what I was watching, as it was completely different from the last thing I saw of the videogame.

And looks like I am going to skip the new opening and ending every single time.
Jul 11, 11:22 PM
Jan 2024
good start of new season
Jul 12, 5:12 AM

Jul 2010
Reply to zeroj
Holy hell I do not remember killing 9S in the game. It's been far too long... I should replay it sometime.

I recently watched the part 1 in 1 week so that was good, liked the Lily content which I didn't know because I don't read books in-game. I'm really loving the series but I seriously did not remember that 2B was 2E. Impatiently waiting for next episode.
@zeroj it's anime original content, we were never shown 2B killing 9S this explicitly lol
Jul 12, 2:17 PM

Aug 2018
Reply to TheMangaManiac
@zeroj it's anime original content, we were never shown 2B killing 9S this explicitly lol
@TheMangaManiac Its not exactly anime original content. It was an adaptation of two stories Memory Cage and Memory Thorn that was published in the Nier Automata World Guide.
Jul 13, 6:23 PM

Aug 2019
its great to see 2B back in action.
Jul 15, 7:01 PM

Jul 2016
We got skirtless Commander before skirtless 2B lol.

But seriously, why do I feel like I missed an episode between this one and Part 1's finale? Good thing there are some helpful comments here. Otherwise I wouldn't have understood the context regarding 2B becoming 2E and her killing 9S numerous times.
Jul 21, 10:49 AM

Sep 2019
Omg, they revealed 2E already? I was not ready for that. Also, until today I didn't knew I needed Commander fan service in my life. They started strong this season, can't wait for more.
Jul 23, 8:46 PM

Dec 2015
I'm a bit late to the party, but wdym the famous 2B isn't actually named 2B?????????? This is possibly one of the greatest plotwists of all time, her name is actually 2E wtf??? Ngl, never saw this coming in Season 1!! 🤯
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Yesterday

57 by KOTFTW »»
30 minutes ago

» Canon

Rayane-47 - 6 hours ago

6 by djg2345312 »»
2 hours ago

» Anime-only fans, my condolences!

SteelLad - Jul 20

22 by Rayane-47 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 19

64 by ReganDesu »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 12

55 by ReganDesu »»
Jul 22, 7:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.