Forum Settings
Forums
New
How many years is acceptable for you to date someone?
Must be of same age group
2.5%
1-2 yrs
14.3%
3-5 yrs
38.7%
6-10 yrs
13.6%
Age is nothing but a number
30.9%
447 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Dec 19, 2009 1:15 AM

Sep 2008
corbenic said:
seishi-sama said:
Eh, nevermind. I was trolling. :P

I think you're just saying that now...

You know, that makes me quite proud for my trolling abilities. :D For some reason, people always think I'm telling the truth while I'm trolling, and always refuse to believe when I'm telling the truth, gg.
Okay, there was one true thing in what I wrote. The "there's absolutely nothing wrong with that" part. Honestly, I don't get why so many people think it's such a big deal.

managaman said:
seishi-sama said:
I dated a 14 years old girl when I was 21...and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that imo.

edit: Oh, and later, a 16 years old girl when I was 24.

That is disgusting.

Not more disgusting than two 14 y.o. kissing in public while the girl is grabbing her boyfriend's genitals through his pants, and definitely not more disgusting than two 12 y.o. openly talking about how they were having sex.
And, unlike that troll post I wrote before, this is the truth.
Dec 19, 2009 1:24 AM

Aug 2008
Ventro said:
Like a 14 year old girl going out with 17 year old boy. Do you think it's okay or the boy is too old?

This sounds like something that I had done in high school. However, like many in the same age range, it didn't last long anyways. Also, a 3-year difference isn't much; though, during the teen-age years, it does.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Dec 19, 2009 1:46 AM

Dec 2009
More realistic question - a 23 year old guy dating an 18-19 year old girl? I can list a few of my friends as examples... I've always been on the fence about the issue because even if I wanted to date a girl that age, the difference in maturity is still staggering with most younger ladies I meet.

Wait, I take that back. It's not the maturity level, it's something I can't put my finger on. Somewhere between empathy and maturity, something is definitely lost in translation when I communicate with a younger woman on more personal issues.

And that's why I've mostly dated older women. In the end though it was the same problem but reversed.
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Dec 19, 2009 6:55 AM

Aug 2009
Ventro said:
Like a 14 year old girl going out with 17 year old boy. Do you think it's okay or the boy is too old?

Yeah its okay. Now if you turn 18 and their girl's parents are dicks you may want to not date her just in case her parents would abuse one of those statutory rape laws just because they do not like their daughter's boyfriend. There are cases where they got statutory rape charges filed on the daughters boyfriend who happened to be a year or a two older than his girlfriend. Now if you are over twenty then girl can be anywhere from the age of consent( 16-18 depending on state, province or country ) to what the oldest woman you find attractive(for example some young twenty year olds probably find Salma Hayek, Catherine Zeta-Jones, or Demi Moore attractive. )
ezikialrageDec 19, 2009 7:03 AM
Dec 19, 2009 7:07 AM

Dec 2007
The crisis here is that a 14 year old is nowhere near to understand anything at all. I don't care how many of you are 14 btw. It can be a bit hard to support for a 17 year old, unless the younger kid is very mature or the older kid very childish.

When everyone is an adult there is really not a difference because we're all on the same stage of our lives. Even though at this moment it would be awkward for me to date a 35 year old man, maybe in two years it would make sense - because by then I should hopefully be doing something out of my life and be closer to people that have been doing stuff out of their lives for a while.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Dec 19, 2009 7:19 AM

Nov 2008
ladyxzeus said:
The crisis here is that a 14 year old is nowhere near to understand anything at all. I don't care how many of you are 14 btw. It can be a bit hard to support for a 17 year old, unless the younger kid is very mature or the older kid very childish.

When everyone is an adult there is really not a difference because we're all on the same stage of our lives. Even though at this moment it would be awkward for me to date a 35 year old man, maybe in two years it would make sense - because by then I should hopefully be doing something out of my life and be closer to people that have been doing stuff out of their lives for a while.

Exactly was I was trying to say as well, in my not so perfectly constructed sentences.
Dec 19, 2009 7:26 AM

Nov 2008
My boyfriend is just 20 days older than me and my father is still against it. He wouldn't even let me out of the damn car to see him. The relationship COULD work, maybe.

I'm 14 and I DO NOT WATCH Hannah Montana!!!
Dec 19, 2009 7:27 AM

Dec 2007
This is ridiculous. If she's mature, it's a good dating range. Seriously, this stuff is getting boring.
Dec 19, 2009 7:28 AM

Dec 2008
Ventro said:
What I think is that you're fucking pathetic. Think about it, she's 14 years old. Only two years older than a 12 year old, which is for most people the last year before puberty hits. You're probably in the process of finishing your puberty but that girl hasn't even come halfway, I suggest stop being a pedo and try to get someone closer to your age. The year difference is not the problem, I have no problem with a 25 year old being together with a 21 year old. But it's the age group
and the maturity physically and mentally that matters. And what this tells me is, you're just a loliperv.

*blows of steam...
Dec 19, 2009 7:32 AM

Feb 2008
I don't see why you would want to date a 14 year old in the first place. Annoying.
Dec 19, 2009 7:32 AM

Dec 2007
*yawn*
Dec 19, 2009 7:54 AM

Dec 2007
Usagilove said:
My boyfriend is just 20 days older than me and my father is still against it. He wouldn't even let me out of the damn car to see him. The relationship COULD work, maybe.

I'm 14 and I DO NOT WATCH Hannah Montana!!!

You, you stfu and go play with your barbies.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Dec 19, 2009 7:56 AM

May 2008
seishi-sama said:
corbenic said:
seishi-sama said:
Eh, nevermind. I was trolling. :P

I think you're just saying that now...

You know, that makes me quite proud for my trolling abilities. :D For some reason, people always think I'm telling the truth while I'm trolling, and always refuse to believe when I'm telling the truth, gg.
Okay, there was one true thing in what I wrote. The "there's absolutely nothing wrong with that" part. Honestly, I don't get why so many people think it's such a big deal.

Maybe you're just not trolling often enough.
I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with it, but that depends on the definition of dating. Sexual relationship with a 14 years old girl is a kinda disturbing thought, even if she seems older than that. But if it's an 'innocent' kind of dating than whatever.

Dec 19, 2009 7:56 AM

Dec 2007
She can write.

Good enough for me.
Dec 19, 2009 8:04 AM

Aug 2008
Why does everyone thinks he's going to rape her or do something sexually?

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Dec 19, 2009 8:18 AM

Dec 2007
Because he will.
Dec 19, 2009 8:20 AM

Oct 2007
Plun said:
Why does everyone thinks he's going to rape her or do something sexually?

He's 17 years old, sex is the only thing going through his mind at the moment. Well, that and how much beer he can drink before passing out.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Dec 19, 2009 8:31 AM

Sep 2008
Pineappledishes- said:
Ventro said:
What I think is that you're fucking pathetic. Think about it, she's 14 years old. Only two years older than a 12 year old, which is for most people the last year before puberty hits. You're probably in the process of finishing your puberty but that girl hasn't even come halfway, I suggest stop being a pedo and try to get someone closer to your age. The year difference is not the problem, I have no problem with a 25 year old being together with a 21 year old. But it's the age group
and the maturity physically and mentally that matters. And what this tells me is, you're just a loliperv.

*blows of steam...

I see that you never studied psychology. But I did, for 4 years at the university, so I can tell you that:
There's much bigger gape in maturity level between 12 and 14 than between 14 and 17. Basically, 14 and 17 belong to the same mental maturity level for people of same gender. But, it's also proven fact that girls mature much earlier and faster than boys. So, the level of maturity of a 14 y.o. girl is generally considered equal to the level of maturity of a 18 y.o. boy.
Dec 19, 2009 8:33 AM

Dec 2007
He's 17 years old, sex is the only thing going through his mind at the moment. Well, that and how much beer he can drink before passing out.

Yes, those dirty, sick boys. That's all they think about.

*sigh*

Back in my days, it was different...
Dec 19, 2009 8:38 AM

Aug 2009
Pineappledishes- said:
What I think is that you're fucking pathetic. Think about it, she's 14 years old. Only two years older than a 12 year old, which is for most people the last year before puberty hits.

A 17 year old is only 3 years older than a 14 year old,which is still in his age group.

You're probably in the process of finishing your puberty but that girl hasn't even come halfway, I suggest stop being a pedo and try to get someone closer to your age. The year difference is not the problem, I have no problem with a 25 year old being together with a 21 year old. But it's the age group

Technically the term is Ephebophilia meaning someone is who attracted to someone who is mid to late adolescence( 14-16 for girls and 14-19 for boys) .A pedophile is an adult or older adolescence who has a sexual preference for prepubescent children and hebephilie is someone in between a pedophile and ephebophile. A 17 year old going out with a 14 year old does not make him a pedophile it probably wouldn't even make him a ephebophile considering the fact they are practically in the same age group.
Dec 19, 2009 8:45 AM

Jun 2009
It's legit.

*Thumbs up*
Dec 19, 2009 9:14 AM

Aug 2009
Eh, well, I'm not really one to talk about age gaps (my last boyfriend was 25...) But, when I was 14, I would not have dated a 17 year old. If it was 16 and 19 then yeah, it would be fine, because 16-year-olds are more mature. I mean, I know I'm more mature now than I was 2 years ago.

And, about my last boyfriend being 25, it was not a physical relationship... but I can tell you now, it didn't work. I didn't like being with somebody so much older and I think he was a bit nervous that everybody would be like 'she's too young'.
Here in the UK, it's perfectly legal... but it just didn't work.

Now, the oldest I will go for is 18 or 19...
Dec 19, 2009 9:23 AM

Dec 2008
ezikialrage said:
Pineappledishes- said:
What I think is that you're fucking pathetic. Think about it, she's 14 years old. Only two years older than a 12 year old, which is for most people the last year before puberty hits.

A 17 year old is only 3 years older than a 14 year old,which is still in his age group.

You're probably in the process of finishing your puberty but that girl hasn't even come halfway, I suggest stop being a pedo and try to get someone closer to your age. The year difference is not the problem, I have no problem with a 25 year old being together with a 21 year old. But it's the age group

Technically the term is Ephebophilia meaning someone is who attracted to someone who is mid to late adolescence( 14-16 for girls and 14-19 for boys) .A pedophile is an adult or older adolescence who has a sexual preference for prepubescent children and hebephilie is someone in between a pedophile and ephebophile. A 17 year old going out with a 14 year old does not make him a pedophile it probably wouldn't even make him a ephebophile considering the fact they are practically in the same age group.
can't be bothered to find a facepalm picture, so just imagine.
Dec 19, 2009 9:26 AM
Oct 2009
LolitaDecay said:
The girl is too old.
Dec 19, 2009 9:26 AM

Dec 2007
@seishi-sama

Don't bother, this is clearly an ignorant "OMG 3 MONTHS YOUNGER PEDOPHILE" person.
Dec 19, 2009 9:30 AM

Dec 2008
Sonic_Moronic said:
@seishi-sama

Don't bother, this is clearly an ignorant "OMG 3 MONTHS YOUNGER PEDOPHILE" person.
Why? Because I'm not looking at this in black and white, but am taking society and the maturity in the girls' physical and mentally body and mind into consideration? You fit your username perfectly...
Dec 19, 2009 9:36 AM

Jul 2007
This topic already exists, please continue your discussion here:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=103302

(Note: I will make sure to merge this at a later date, but I'm locking it temporarily so that people can find their way to the next topic).
Dec 19, 2009 10:35 AM

Aug 2008
JonnyAkster said:
For teenagers the gap would generally be a year max as most acceptable, and 2 years being on teh verge of awkward, most of my friends agree with me on that.
On the other hand one of my friends is 16 and is going out with a 20 year old guy.

And then, the older people get... the greater the acceptable gap becomes.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Dec 19, 2009 1:20 PM

Oct 2009
I vouted 1-2 because it's the best choice. but IMO it can be 3 or even 4 sometimes.. it depends.
Dec 19, 2009 4:59 PM
Jul 2018
Well I usually think it should be about a 3 to 4 age gap in most cases.
Dec 19, 2009 6:46 PM

Aug 2007
Pineappledishes- said:
Why? Because I'm not looking at this in black and white, but am taking society and the maturity in the girls' physical and mentally body and mind into consideration? You fit your username perfectly...

Since that thread was locked and this is the same exact thing I will respond to this here.

You must be a troll. Since when is a 17 year old ever a pedo? Also not to mention you don't know what a pedophile is considering 14 is not a pre-pubescent girl.
Dec 19, 2009 8:52 PM

Jul 2008
Not to mention, not all 14 year olds will be of equal maturity. I know this is rather the exception than the rule, but it's not like it doesn't happen.

And the relationship may not necessarily end up being sexual, at least not right away. Perhaps they'll set boundaries that will be respected and only cross them when the girl is ready? (and when it's legal, depending on where you live...)

And last but not least, physically, there is not that much difference between 14 year old and 18 year old girls. I regularly see 14 year olds with freaking d-cup tits. Don't tell me that's pre-pubescent.

I am the senpai that notices you.

Dec 20, 2009 3:19 PM

Oct 2009
well here in middle school there is no dating age gap u pretty much have to date someone in the same grade/age or people would consider u a loser.
btw dating in middle school is that even considered real dating!
Dec 20, 2009 5:27 PM

Dec 2008
Depends too much on each of the individuals involved in the relationship. One older woman (let's say a 33 year old) can be with a 23 year old guy if the guy isn't inmature for her. The problem comes when men are like 23 years old and want a 14 year old "girlfriend"... most of the cases.

I personally have a restriction of 2-3 years max, preferably I'd stablish a relationship being on the same age group or one year older than the girl.
Dec 20, 2009 5:32 PM

Jul 2008
CriticalEye said:
Hmm, have you guys heard of the "1/2 your age + 7" rule?

Do you think it's right/accurate?
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=103302&show=200#msg6079383

Bakayaro said:
A/2+7

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Dec 21, 2009 5:22 PM

Oct 2008
Three to Five is completely acceptable as a limit.
But once both parties are past 21 there's really no problem.
Dec 21, 2009 5:51 PM

Jul 2008
If the other one is underage then I think that a big age gap is not that good in anyway..not mentally or physically..but then again I don't really even like the idea of kids under 15 datin others..when they both "adults" then i don't really care about age gaps.

I didn't want to hurt you but you're pretty when you cry. I didn't really love you but I'm pretty when I lie.

Dec 22, 2009 1:40 AM

Jun 2009
think anything up to 10 or 12 years difference is okay theres and 8 year age gap between my husband and I. And there was a 10 yr age gap between my perents and they where together till they died(♥soo sweet)
Dec 27, 2009 6:41 AM

Dec 2007
You know, I often wonder how the hell is somebody supposed to find "the person of his life" if people set so many retarded restrictions. Age is just one of them. If I limited myself to people 2 years older/younger than me, I would miss a huge chunk of interesting people.

It's bullshit.
Dec 27, 2009 6:49 AM

Feb 2009
Sonic_Moronic said:
You know, I often wonder how the hell is somebody supposed to find "the person of his life" if people set so many retarded restrictions. Age is just one of them. If I limited myself to people 2 years older/younger than me, I would miss a huge chunk of interesting people.

It's bullshit.

I agree with him.
For example the difference in age of my parents is 28 years.
I know, it is pretty big, but, whatever.
Dec 27, 2009 6:59 AM

Dec 2007
That's awesome, if they can get along well, it's admirable.
Dec 27, 2009 7:03 AM

Feb 2009
thank you^^
and they do get along very well <3
Dec 27, 2009 8:48 AM

Sep 2009
I always dated people who were older than me.
When I was 17 I was engaged to a 29 year old guy (Uggh, I was so stupid back then).
That was probably the biggest age difference. I dated a girl who was 8 years older than me also. Most people I dated were about 5 years older than me.

I told myself I would never date someone younger than me, because I've always liked people older than myself.
My boyfriend is a year younger than me and we're very happy, so maybe I should have dated someone younger before.
Dec 27, 2009 8:51 AM

Oct 2008
Age is not important to me but I'm not going to date a 50+ person...I'm only 17.
Dec 27, 2009 8:57 AM

Dec 2009
In my opinion under 20years age gap between 2-3years
but above 20years it doesn't matter
Dec 27, 2009 4:16 PM

Sep 2008
the people who say age isn't but a number.....let's say you dated grandma/grandpa...would you see yourself in a physical relationship with them?

...just the thought of bumpin' wrinkles gets my wood down..

and not pokin' fun...just something to think about 6_6
Dec 27, 2009 6:08 PM

Nov 2006
IRL, I don't care what other people do. For me, 5-7 years above me is the upper limit of my comfort zone. Currently I wouldn't date anyone more than a year younger than me because of my age.

In anime/other fiction, especially set in a society with different rules and social norms, BRING IT ON.
Jan 16, 2010 12:09 PM

Nov 2009
both Below 18 years old 1-2 age gap acceptable

Both above 18 years old all age gaps acceptable

that's what i think.
Jan 16, 2010 3:18 PM

Nov 2008
I think it really depends on the age of the people who are dating. I don't believe that anyone should do any, actual, 'dating' until they're fourteen or older. It just doesn't seem okay to me. I'm not saying that kids younger than that shouldn't date, or can't - but I don't really think I would be happy with having one of my kids ( . . not that I have any ) going out on a date with someone ( even if that other person was their age and they were chaparoned ) when they're so young.

However, I`m only fifteen, and I've been ' dating ' since I was thirteen ( not too long a time, but I've been told I'm generally more mature about some things than other kids my age ) - so maybe this makes me a bit of a hypocrite.

Lets say that you are fourteen. I don't think that you should date anyone who's more than a year or two younger than you, nor do I think that you should date anyone who's more than two years older than you. Why? Because, looking at the general maturity of the kids around me, who are my age/that age, I think it's a gentle match and wont call for anything too extreme or unexpected.

Now, if you were, say - seventeen, I think that they could possibly date anyone who's anywhere from fifteen to eighteen. When you hit eighteen? I think someone who's twenty three should be the oldest that you aim for, and anyone under sixteen is just . . not okay. I understand that some people might want someone who's more mature, in whatever way you're looking to hook up with someone for - but at the same time, it just feels awkward to me.

When you're twenty-one or older - I say that anyone older than you is fair game - but that you shouldn't go preying upon anyone who's younger than seventeen. It's officially your life and you should be able to get out in the world and take care of yourself. There's a lot about dating and being in relationships/love that you have to take account for, and at this age? If you can take the risk, you should be able to realize what might go wrong.

I'm not saying that people who are ___ years old can't date people who are ___ years old. It's not my place nor my business, but if it came up to me and I had a child, I would probably follow something like this when it came to who they dated. I wouldn't want to be an overbearing and overworrying mother, but at the same time? I would want to keep them safe.

I know that, what I'm saying, is actually being very restricting, and that at some points, ' love ' goes up and beyond age - but it's to keep my child safe.

The kids of the world, teenagers and pre-teens a like, even young adults - are actually really really mature ( around here ), but in a way that's almost sickening. They know and could do so much if they really wanted to - and in a lot of cases ( around where I am, again, so this is in a less generalizing way ) - they actually do just that. Most of the time, it's the worse of things ( drugs, sex, drinking, etc ). I would and do really worry about this. What sort of world would I be trying to raise a child in? What are teenagers going to be like, 10/15 years from now?

Though, saying all this - and believing in what I say - there are situations or people who should be allowed to date those who are older than they are. If both parties have the maturity and ability to understand what they're doing, it's not illegal, etc - perhaps it would be fine.

:/ This all is just something that I believe. I do understand/believe that it can be and would be very different, pending who is in the relationship, the parents of the partners, where they were raised - the maturity of those involved!. For everyone, it's different. I get that. As long as it's not illegal or the younger party isn't being taken advantage of ( nor the older, in some cases ), I think that - it's their business. I wont butt in, nor will I make a purposely rude remark about the match.
AlrightJan 16, 2010 3:22 PM
Jan 16, 2010 5:29 PM

Jan 2008
i dont know if i have one for going lower (until the point when it is illegal maybe, maybe not :P) but as for older i would say like 4 or 5 years older would be my preference. i just feel like there is too big of a difference if it is more than that.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.