Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 5, 10:30 AM

May 2016
that was a lame ass episode tbh.
also i wanna say to his flashbacks, he was 100% in the right.

the brother really wants him to go back to school....... after being displayed nude in front of everyone? lol

brother is just lucky he didn't kill himself after that.
May 5, 10:31 AM
May 2017
Reply to MegamiRem
Norn is just a normal kid. Unlike Rudeus who reincarnated and learnt from his past mistake and Aisha who's absolutely brilliant and the most adorable thing ever, she's just plain ordinary and unlikable. So getting compared, while people having big expectations of her and taking it granted that she can do things easily cause she's Rudeus's sister while neglecting her hard work just pushed her past her limit and she broke down. Glad Rudeus was there for her and he also realised things about himself as well, even wanting to send a letter to his brother if Nanahoshi ever managed to get back. Emotional episode.
@MegamiRem Norn is a plain girl as adorable as Aisha who had her share of life. Rudeus didn't have the willpower to overcome the hole he dig for himself until he died. Can't expect Norn to do the same alone. Norn is gifted not to have a brilliant older brother but to have a failure of a human being who repented himself as an older brother.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
May 5, 10:35 AM

Mar 2016
For all the misgivings and ramblings I've had with s2 as a whole, this was probably the best episode so far from this season. Despite how brisk the pacing still is, it had notably slowed quite a bit here to allow for things to breathe better this time. The directing and storyboarding, especially with the nice metaphorical scenes of Rudy seeing his past self couped up and Norn seeing Paul in Rudy, were able to really capture and hit home with the emotional weight of Norn's character segment as well as Rudeus's own previous mirroring accounts of his past life.

Even better, this episode did one of the very things I especially loved the most about the story of Mushoku Tensei: the shifting of perspectives between different characters aside from the main protagonist. Honestly I wished they did much more of this even back in s1, but here for Norn, it was done so effectively. She's just a normal kid who got the wrong impressions of someone related to her and had very immature feelings and reactions to it, whether or not they were fully warranted.

Another great thing I really love about the story is how Rudeus reflects upon his past life...most other isekais would completely disregard that particular aspect. He looks at Norn's perspective and reminisced on how he could've handled things better in a similar situation back then as his past self. While he won't be able to make amends for things in the past anymore, at least the thought of trying to at least forward a message via Nanahoshi was still by all means a positive.

An honestly really good episode overall, with everything being said and done, even if I can't hope to feel as good about this adaptation as the way I wished I could, though hopefully Turning Point 3 onwards may make amends for that, possibly.
May 5, 10:45 AM

Nov 2019
With everything sorted out at the end of the episode I thought "Oh boy, imagine if there was suddenly another Turning Point episode after this". It's best not to joke about such things...
"It's only anime if it's animated."
May 5, 10:48 AM
Mar 2019
GOODDO AAAAAMMMMMAAAAAZZZZINNNGGG
May 5, 10:48 AM
Mar 2019
GOODDO AAAAAMMMMMAAAAAZZZZINNNGGG
May 5, 10:52 AM

Apr 2011
I thought they would do TP3 in this episode. So fucking glad they didn't.
May 5, 10:53 AM

Dec 2019
Reply to Kayle_x_Morgana
that was a lame ass episode tbh.
also i wanna say to his flashbacks, he was 100% in the right.

the brother really wants him to go back to school....... after being displayed nude in front of everyone? lol

brother is just lucky he didn't kill himself after that.
@Kayle_x_Morgana There's no perfect solution to this situation lol. His brother just wanted him to go with him to grab a bite and eat, and wanted to help his brother slowly gain the courage to step outside again till it eventually never worked. If his brother was willing to go to a different school altogether or find some kind of path to have him feel alive again, his family would gladly help him out with that based on impressions they gave in the first season. His brother tried his best, it works for some and it doesnt for others. There's no magical right or wrong since its more nuanced and complex than that. Nothing lame bout it
May 5, 10:54 AM

Dec 2019
Reply to yhunata
I thought they would do TP3 in this episode. So fucking glad they didn't.
@yhunata Why would they, from the first two of them, the title of the episode gives away when a turning point happens to build anticipation for viewers and readers for whats to come.
May 5, 11:14 AM
May 2016
my favorite episode so far out of all the 2nd season episodes, probably wont last long though since next episode is titled turning point 3.
May 5, 11:18 AM
Oct 2011
Good episode, I think it was adapted rather well considering the time constraints, the entire cour so far was adapted as best as possible considering the sheer volume of SOL in the LN. They cut what they could and we see the important bits here and there some were done justice while others not so much, all in all I still liked it, could've been much worse.
With that out of the way Turning Point 3 and what follows after will be much easier to adapt. And Bind can finally go all out once we get to adventure/action bits.
Looking forward to it.
May 5, 11:22 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to MangagnaM
@yhunata Why would they, from the first two of them, the title of the episode gives away when a turning point happens to build anticipation for viewers and readers for whats to come.
@MangagnaM I was fearing they would rush through Norn's chapter so they could end with TP3. For reference, TP3 should happen within the first 5 or so minutes of the next episode. It's literally the next thing that's gonna happen.

EDIT: Right, I just reread a bit of Volume 11 and it seems I was mistaken. There is another chapter that takes place before TP3, but I think quite a bit of that chapter can likely be skipped.
yhunataMay 6, 2:39 AM
May 5, 11:55 AM
Mar 2021
I'm glad they wrapped the Norn arc in one episode. It's time for adventuring!
May 5, 12:09 PM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Wow sad and deep episode.
Very good!
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
May 5, 12:34 PM
May 2019
I loved this episode. LN readers, Will we have more about Norn and Rudeus relationship in the future or it's Just this?
May 5, 12:37 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
They nailed the feeling here. Sometimes it's just the simple things that solve these terrible situations. Norn is not a great character, but then again she's probably the most realistic character surrounding Rudy. Just a normal, plain, hard working girl who doesn't excel at anything and surrounded by monsters of talent and the weight of expectations.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 5, 12:45 PM

Mar 2023
How was this even a bit iteresting to watch for you guys?
May 5, 12:51 PM
Nov 2021
its fucking great!
May 5, 12:51 PM
Nov 2021
its fucking great!
May 5, 1:03 PM

Jan 2022
Turning Point 3...

Holy fuck I am scared of whats boutta happen
May 5, 1:05 PM

Dec 2018
Almost managed to make me cry.

Almost.
May 5, 1:20 PM

Sep 2016
2nd best Mushoku episode after Rudeus made up with his father.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 5, 1:27 PM

Jun 2023
Ep 6: Turning Point 3

oh nononononono
May 5, 1:32 PM
Dec 2014
God, the animation staff did everything right this episode. First and foremost, the transitions between perspectives. How Rudeus saw his old self in his old room instead of Norn's room was beautiful and helped illustrate how he understood where she was at mentally. How Norn saw Paul's saddened expression before blinking and realizing it was Rudeus with the same expression. Oh, and how the episode opened. Rudeus expected the worst and pushed out accusations left and right, and was immediately deflated to learn that none of what he expected was what happened. In fact, he found that people aren't immediately crappy to each other. Also, his entire thought process was amazing. Often, people who are trying to help don't really understand that the person suffering doesn't want to go out for a meal or anything like that. They just need to be reminded that someone does care.

I loved how they showed Norn's perspective, too. She feels confused by how everyone talks about her brother while having a single experience to base an entire person on. She doesn't know Rudeus, and all she does know is what others tell her. Imagine being told by others that your ex is a great person. Your experience isn't as positive, so you start to doubt yourself. You wonder if you were the problem in the relationship and what if they were as great as others have touted? That's Norn. She's full of doubt about her value and from what she has seen, probably expects that he'd hate her, too.

Norn and Rudeus have had similar experiences. Rudeus not having a solution shows his maturity as a person. He isn't offering kind words or a meal or shallow encouragement. He recognizes that what Norn is experiencing is not handily fixed externally, but has to come from within. She has to realize that Rudeus doesn't hate or resent her, that the brother she knows and that others know are one and the same. It's just that because she has so little information (and not a great first impression, either) and now others are contradicting that truth, she is having to confront those two realities and turn them into one.

Goddamn, I could go on for HOURS about how good this episode was and how well-written each arc is.
"Thorkell has no resistance to getting kicked in the f-in head. To be honest, neither do I." -Captain Mack

"You've faced many life-and-death situations. But that does not make you an adult. Finding more fallen-out hairs on your pillow, watching your favorite stuffed-bread disappear from the convenience store... the accumulation of those little despairs is what makes a person an adult."-Nanami Kento

"When a piece of media is bad, it's much easier to nitpick the less significant things because they're seen as a part of the problem. Alternatively, it becomes more difficult to nitpick something like a masterpiece because even the flaws are seen as contributing to the overall quality of the media." -Paraphrasing Mauler
May 5, 1:38 PM

Sep 2013
Great episode with Norn's pov and rudeus past. Tp3 gonna be good.
sic mundus
May 5, 1:42 PM

Dec 2017
While the episode really was well done and full of emotions, I feel this could've easily been the episode 8 or 9, maybe even 10. Why even time skip or rush the story so much? Idk how it is in the novel but the slower stuff is what makes it so good. Skipping most of it to get to the "good part" is so dumb.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
May 5, 1:50 PM
Oct 2020
Fuck I cried. Great episode. I hope we get more insight into his life but getting just these glimpses is good too. Now I'm scared for the next episode. I don't know if I'm ready for another turning point considering the ones before. I heard turning point 4 is crazy or something but I haven't really heard anything about 3 so maybe it won't be that bad? Nah it's probably like everyone at the academy getting scarified or some crazy shit. Idk I'm scared but excited to see the next episode.

I also loved that we got a bit of what's going on in Norn's mind this episode.
May 5, 1:51 PM

Jul 2011
That moment when Norn saw Paul in Rudeus... God damn. People dare to compare Frieren with this lol.
May 5, 1:55 PM

Nov 2007
Reply to Zarutaku
2nd best Mushoku episode after Rudeus made up with his father.
@Zarutaku Hey now. Give turning point two some credit please. To each their own I suppose.

Episode was great. Some great ideas from the director that just work in anime and not in a light novel. When Rudy knocks on the door you hear his original voice telling himself to piss off. The glimpses of him seeing himself and finally getting a glimps into what his brother must've felt in that moment. Norn flashback ending with Ruijerd praising Rudy and last but no least her looking up and seeing her father and the blinking to see Rudy. Really really great stuff. They even had a piano version of the opening playing in the background which I absolutely didn't expect. Overall, the light novel is a bit clearer in it's character depiction but THANKFULLY we got the pov at all which was desperately needed. We've lost so many pov chapter over the course of the show but if this one would've been cut people just would not understand what was going on with Norn so I'm happy that we did get it.
May 5, 1:55 PM

Jan 2024
Absolute Peak
Absolute Cinema
May 5, 2:06 PM
Mar 2024
This was emotional to say the least. Fantastic writing. Love the scene where he walks in the room to him seeing himself. Hit like a ton of bricks. Fantastic stuff.
May 5, 2:07 PM
Dec 2021
This episode was alright but kinda felt like a clone of episode 3. Just wondering how many times this is gonna repeat.
May 5, 2:11 PM
Oct 2022
@Softhenic03 That's a very reasonable view of a situation looked at from the outside, but in a situation where you only see your perspective, you don't have the benefit of seeing what Rudy did or anything else. Additionally, I think this point doesn't really need elaboration, but people, especially young people don't always react reasonably and are prone to emotions making things feel bigger to them then they are in the grand scheme of things. Highschool and college has a lot of this. Most work through it in time, or come to be less concerned with the issue. Someone solving a problem through their own self-reflectiom isn't a bad thing. I'd argue it would be better if more of us could do that, but it's not always easy. Many of us have found we benefit from professionals helping to guide us through the process.
May 5, 2:17 PM
Dec 2021
quite the tear-jerker
May 5, 2:21 PM

Feb 2014
This was an emotionally charged episode and definitely the best one so far in this second cour.

Seeing Norn in her state was a reflection of what Rudeus was like in his old life. Hearing more about what he was back then and how his older tried in vain to help out does show how much he regrets not doing anything to help himself. Being there for Norn during her time in need was the right thing for him to do and he handled it well.

As for Norn, it's understandable as to why she ended up becoming a shut-in after being unable to deal with the huge pressure of being the younger sister to Rudeus. Considering at that point of her opinion of him being incredibly low after he beat the crap out of Paul back in season 1, she struggled to fathom as to why Rudeus was praised so much.

In the end, she was able to get herself out of her cocoon and open up, crying on Rudeus as he held her. The emotions all throughout this scene was done excellently. The progress for Norn opening up to Rudeus has now begun, as the next day, she greeted both Rudeus and Sylphie with a smile. It's a big first step towards her having a good sibling relationship with Rudeus and, hopefully, where she'll open up more towards Aisha and Sylphie.

Turning Point 3 is the next's episode title. I have no idea what will happen next but, going by the two previous episodes with the same title, I do expect important things to happen. I look forward to seeing how it'll unfold. =)
May 5, 2:34 PM
Dec 2021
episode title was a bit sus
May 5, 2:41 PM
Nov 2022
It was a great episode! There were awesome character moments. After the episode ended captivated I watched the ending. Then however the title of the next episode appeared and it will keep me up at night.
May 5, 2:51 PM

Aug 2022
So Norn finally forgave Rudeus. I hope that they can have a normal relationship form now on.
May 5, 2:57 PM

Sep 2016
Arkaniet said:
Give turning point two some credit please.

Not really comparable, it's just "OP antagonist appears and beats the guts outta them" but still very good episode regardless.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 5, 3:06 PM

Feb 2010
incredible episode, tears to my eyes

“Read as little as possible of critical or aesthetic works. They are either products of a close-minded spirit, petrified and devoid of meaning in their lifeless hardening, or clever verbal games [...]. Works of art are of an infinite solitude; nothing is worse than criticism for approaching them. Only love can grasp them, keep them, be just toward them. Always give precedence to your own feeling against these analyses, these reviews, these introductions. [...] You must let every impression, every seed of feeling, ripen within you, in the dark, in the inexpressible, in the unconscious, those regions closed to understanding. Wait with humility and patience for the hour of the birth of a new clarity. Art demands of its faithful followers as much as of its creators.”
— RAINER-MARIA Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet (letter dated April 23, 1903).
May 5, 3:07 PM
Dec 2020
Norn's POV was absolutely perfect!!! Thx BIND!!
May 5, 3:10 PM

Nov 2007
Reply to Zarutaku
Arkaniet said:
Give turning point two some credit please.

Not really comparable, it's just "OP antagonist appears and beats the guts outta them" but still very good episode regardless.
@Zarutaku I clearly haven't seen enough shows where this happens and the show sort of lulled me into a false sense of security with them having next to no issues getting there and Ruijerd, Eris and Rudy being quite strong at that point and then they all get wiped in like seconds. ALSO the information that one is supposed to take away during that encounter and the hints and seeds sown there were great as well. But this isn't a turning point 2 thread sorry for the derail.
ArkanietMay 5, 3:13 PM
May 5, 3:18 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
This was a really nice episode. From the start Rudeus noticed Norn's shut-in behaviour and couldn't help not doing anything about it more so considering how he was. After confronting her class for a culprit he realized he was the one at fault even though he didn't know the reason. Nonetheless he wanted to make things right so that the same thing wouldn't happen to her.

Norn's feelings are understandable. Imagine living with someone that diminishes someone you love to that level and then hearing everyone around talk great things about him. It must be frustrating and confusing but once you can come to an understanding you can start sorting things out. It's a good lesson to not focus so much on what couldn't be fixed in the past but on what can be in the future based on past knowledge.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
May 5, 3:23 PM

Sep 2014
Absolute peak. What an episode. Definitely one of the best episodes of all time.

This scene transition alone, pure art. So damn good.

I felt so bad for Norn and Rudeus too the entire time.

This entire season really is the character developement people claimed he would get.

Turning point 3 next and everything is going so well right now? Do I need to be scared?

PS: When Rudeus mentioned his own brother I immeditely thought about Nanohashi sending a letter at some point and he even mentioned something like that himself. Sooo good.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 5, 3:32 PM

May 2023
PEAK WRITING, ABSOLUTE PEAK, ABSOLUTE CINEMA.

the transitions in this episode are amazingly good.
so next episode turning point 3 huh, i wonder whats gonna happen...
May 5, 3:34 PM

Mar 2013
I was hoping like: "after his false accusations towards the people inside the classroom, what face and emotions is he giving while he tries to left the classroom?" to be animated if it exists. I'm quite worried they're skipping its importance.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
May 5, 3:36 PM
Aug 2019
Beautiful episode, don't remember crying on the LN but here i did, everything was portrayed really well specially how Rudeus swapped place with his brother and the transitions between his past self and now.

Each time we get Rudeus reflecting on his past is real sad, slowly feeling regretful for how he acted back then and i love that, because usually when he didn't care about his past it was differently implemented but now that he's living a happy life he can clearly contemplate his own old mistakes
May 5, 3:38 PM
Jan 2024
I loved the way that this episode went into Rudeuses interpretation of norns situation.
May 5, 3:44 PM
Mar 2023
This episode was amazing 10/10 but kinda sad it will be completely overshadowed with the rest of the season especially next episode as it already is rn
May 5, 3:46 PM
Apr 2021
Bit disappointing it culminated into "I cried and now I'm better". Would have liked to see some dialogue from Norn explaining her emotions. Rudeus even comments on it.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jun 30

390 by Corrupteddrago »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ArimaKana - Jun 23

369 by TheOtherJN »»
Yesterday, 1:15 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

MegamiRem - Jun 9

217 by TheOtherJN »»
Sep 26, 10:22 PM

Poll: » Would you also deny Aisha's request? (SPOILER episode 6) ( 1 2 )

Zarutaku - May 25

61 by Zarutaku »»
Sep 22, 11:08 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 21

194 by Ragnar00lobrock »»
Sep 21, 10:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.