Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 3, 2023 1:06 PM
Dec 2014
When Frieren's world invents coffee, she will make the inventor a very rich individual indeed.

I like that the series doesn't present her as simply emotionless. It's more that as time has passed, she has learned to restrain herself and temper her reactions to things. She has also seen much and done much, so the amount of things that would surprise or impress her are few and far between. But, it's also the simple things that she has missed out on while pursuing the larger pieces that she now has time to truly appreciate. And Flamme knew that and knew that she would inevitably come back to where it all began for her. I like the idea that Flamme could anticipate it, too. This isn't bad writing. Frieren had to start somewhere. Obviously, the world's greatest mage would be the best choice for her, though I doubt anyone during that time knew what Flamme would become.

What sold me on it was Fern and Eisen discussing Frieren near the end. This isn't your standard fantasy trope of dwarves and elves being antagonistic to each other. Throughout their journey, Eisen clearly came to respect Frieren as an ally. At the end of the episode, you can tell they're both good friends, even if the latter doesn't exactly appreciate the difference in longevity between her and her companions. That's the magic of the show, though. It begs the question of how far detached one can be from the world while pursuing the bigger picture before they are forced to take a moment to appreciate the smaller parts.

The only way I'm dropping it is if the show devolves into shounen jank. I do think the studio could have done better than Yaosobi for the opening, but milet more than makes up for it.
"Thorkell has no resistance to getting kicked in the f-in head. To be honest, neither do I." -Captain Mack

"You've faced many life-and-death situations. But that does not make you an adult. Finding more fallen-out hairs on your pillow, watching your favorite stuffed-bread disappear from the convenience store... the accumulation of those little despairs is what makes a person an adult."-Nanami Kento

"When a piece of media is bad, it's much easier to nitpick the less significant things because they're seen as a part of the problem. Alternatively, it becomes more difficult to nitpick something like a masterpiece because even the flaws are seen as contributing to the overall quality of the media." -Paraphrasing Mauler
Oct 3, 2023 1:42 PM

May 2015
Reply to SentiOnikawa
When Frieren's world invents coffee, she will make the inventor a very rich individual indeed.

I like that the series doesn't present her as simply emotionless. It's more that as time has passed, she has learned to restrain herself and temper her reactions to things. She has also seen much and done much, so the amount of things that would surprise or impress her are few and far between. But, it's also the simple things that she has missed out on while pursuing the larger pieces that she now has time to truly appreciate. And Flamme knew that and knew that she would inevitably come back to where it all began for her. I like the idea that Flamme could anticipate it, too. This isn't bad writing. Frieren had to start somewhere. Obviously, the world's greatest mage would be the best choice for her, though I doubt anyone during that time knew what Flamme would become.

What sold me on it was Fern and Eisen discussing Frieren near the end. This isn't your standard fantasy trope of dwarves and elves being antagonistic to each other. Throughout their journey, Eisen clearly came to respect Frieren as an ally. At the end of the episode, you can tell they're both good friends, even if the latter doesn't exactly appreciate the difference in longevity between her and her companions. That's the magic of the show, though. It begs the question of how far detached one can be from the world while pursuing the bigger picture before they are forced to take a moment to appreciate the smaller parts.

The only way I'm dropping it is if the show devolves into shounen jank. I do think the studio could have done better than Yaosobi for the opening, but milet more than makes up for it.
@SentiOnikawa well don't worry there is absolutely nothing shouneny in the manga whatsoever
Oct 3, 2023 2:16 PM

May 2021
Such a breath of fresh air, this show. Nice pacing, adult themes, great animation, good sound design, good character writing and world building.
Oct 3, 2023 2:54 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Freiren's going to take 10 years of Fern's life, to in a sense, rectify her own past by maybe, speaking with Himmel once again. But no doubt this will be a journey in which Fern will continue to learn and grow under Freiren as her apprentice, and for us as the viewers to learn more about Frieren's past and the thousand years in which she had lived.

This probably wouldn't be that sad if Freiren was living together with other elves of the same life span- but she's not. She's travelling the world pretty much solo, meeting friends along the way, who in her eyes have lives that past by like a flash. Right now she seems indifferent to the different passing of times.... but not quite. She did break down when realizing she had wished she had spent more time with Himmel. And now with Fern... I haven't read the manga, but I already know I'm just not ready for whatever is in store. The way how the passing of time is one of central themes in this show is both sad and beautiful at the same time.

I pretty much never give out 10/10's.... but right now, this is a 10/10 anime.
BetaMaleUltraOct 3, 2023 3:04 PM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Oct 3, 2023 3:24 PM

May 2019
So Frieren for sure is not a morning person (I can kind of relate) but she ended up watching the sunrise because of Himmel, and eventually also because of the smile she saw on Fern's face.

I noticed that Fern got a little sad when the dwarf apologized and told her that it would take her and Frieren 10 years to reach the Demon King's Castle. If Fern is around 16 years of age in episode 4 then she'll be 26 by the time they get there. I'm sure Fern will learn more along the way but I don't blame her if the time its going to take bothers her. Maybe they can fly for part of the trip to cut down on the travel time....
Oct 3, 2023 3:41 PM
Dec 2014
Reply to billybub
@SentiOnikawa well don't worry there is absolutely nothing shouneny in the manga whatsoever
@billybub I don't mind some action. I hate when a show with all the qualities to tell a more in-depth narrative with complex and even moralistic concepts and questions decides after presenting said concepts and questions to devolve into power of friendship and swords go schwing bs. I hated 86 and lament BNA's wasted potential for that reason. 86 tried on eugenics and oppression of minority races, then decided that it didn't like any of that and gave the lead characters an easy out. It then decided it wanted to try on veterans and PTSD and when pressed to explore that more thoroughly, it decided that it didn't know enough to form an opinion but also dumbass spider mech design go brr.

Frieren has the opportunity to explore the passage of time, how we can become caught up in the larger picture to the point we often miss the smaller, more worthwhile things, and how our relationships with others can impact us. Frieren is a lonely soul unused to full relationships with others that go beyond "I do a, you do b." Her regret with Himmel was, I feel, her finally realizing that she had nobody to relate to, nobody to share memories with, and that at her funeral, it was likely only the gravediggers and a lone (corrupt) priest would be in attendance. Her realizing that she truly has nobody and that she has missed so much while seeking the destination has pushed her to start a journey of "small things" for when she does eventually reach her destination.

God, this series has the potential to be an entire Captain Mack video essay on the nuances of Human relationships and how it explores such concepts.
"Thorkell has no resistance to getting kicked in the f-in head. To be honest, neither do I." -Captain Mack

"You've faced many life-and-death situations. But that does not make you an adult. Finding more fallen-out hairs on your pillow, watching your favorite stuffed-bread disappear from the convenience store... the accumulation of those little despairs is what makes a person an adult."-Nanami Kento

"When a piece of media is bad, it's much easier to nitpick the less significant things because they're seen as a part of the problem. Alternatively, it becomes more difficult to nitpick something like a masterpiece because even the flaws are seen as contributing to the overall quality of the media." -Paraphrasing Mauler
Oct 3, 2023 6:52 PM

Jul 2016
Beautiful episode. Really liked the themes it tackled.

On a side note tho, I'm kinda sad they stopped with the "Frieren-getting-stuck-in-places" joke.
Oct 3, 2023 6:59 PM
Mar 2014
And it looks like the adventure is about to start! Honestly, I LOVE how slow this anime is going. It's refreshing. Really gives us time to understand all the characters. I'm certainly going to be here every week.
Oct 3, 2023 8:10 PM
Oct 2023
yoasobi is not compatible with frierin theme
Oct 3, 2023 8:27 PM

Jan 2021
Jaw is literally dropping on how good this series is so far. Just watched all current 4 episodes and the quality of the animation and story has still not let up. It's also surprisingly funny and super heartwarming too. Definitely going to see this show to the end.
Oct 4, 2023 12:08 AM
Aug 2020
Perjalanannya begitu sakit hati, ketika kamu adalah pahlawan di masa lalu tapi kamu tidak banyak mengetahui kamu itu siapa, tapi yang gw herankan kenapa dia suka mengempulkan buku sihir.
Oct 4, 2023 10:10 AM
May 2021
I love how its a slow development defo makes each ep worth the wait!!
Oct 4, 2023 10:42 AM
Apr 2017
This show has so much charm and emotion. The characters are so likable and each of them has a unique trait that makes them stand out. From the first episode I was hooked,and the show keeps getting better. I can't wait to continue watching the journey of Frieren and her companions.
Oct 4, 2023 1:08 PM
Nov 2022
A new standard for fantasy anime
Oct 4, 2023 1:14 PM

Feb 2011
the feeling this show gives me reminds me of Mushishi.

A travelling show, some fights/action here and there, and otherwise just a good story.

every episode has been great so far, and frieren's twin tails are so cute

Oct 4, 2023 2:41 PM

Jan 2014
4 eps in and a 9/10 for me so far, this show reminds me of 'Flying Witch' in a good way (10/10 love that show).
Similar kinda slow paced, calm, soothing, healing, relaxed 'slice of life' vibes done great, but leaning far more on the fantasy magic world setting compared to Flying Witch.
Oct 4, 2023 9:17 PM

Oct 2022
As someone who is completely caught up to the manga, it is so amazing to see Frieren adaptated in such a beautiful way. These first episodes immediately immersed me in like the manga and to see the amazing animation, soundtrack, symbolism, i'm so happy to see the manga get the justice it deserves. I can't wait to watch to rest of the season, this is bound to be one of the greatest yet.
Oct 5, 2023 12:26 AM
Apr 2018
beautiful episode.

Fern has turned from student to mother figure for freiren. Taking care of her, making her get up on time, addressing to her dressing up, food and other needs, Such a baby she is xD
Also i love frierens expressions they are the best.
We get more progression of the story, through a cleaning job, they find a book of the old hero and mage/ frieren's teacher the great mage flamme but not the og one. Freiren gets to see the festival and sunrise which she missed earleir with her party due to sleeping in late. (Shes so me we both dont like mornings xD ) and still she couldnt get a hold of what was so special about it, but glad that fern made her realize the beauty of it.

We finally meet eisen the dwarf warrior the other solo surviving member. I like his character very straightforward and kinda wholesome. his reminesecne with the party especially his talks with heiter about souls and their journey after dying were interesting and even though he didnt believe in it he still joined heiter in the prayers and also that they wrote letters to each other which was heartwarming.

Now he see's freirens journey and that shes regretful not knowing about well and wants him to converse with him one time which i am not sure about tbh if its the right thing to do and if she really needs it at the moment seeing him again. Anyways they find the big tree which was apparently was the sapling planted by flamme and she knew that one day freiren will have regrets in life and will come here looking for it and she kept it read to the very page, she really knew her so well. She also apparently reached the end of the continent which supposed to be heaven now being the demon castle which they have been before and took the party 10 years to reach, so it will be a nostalgic journey also freiren is aware shes taking 10 years of ferns mortal life. But still shes detemined to do it and fern supporting her

Also favorite part when fern was describing to eisen how freiren used to be someone who didnt care much about people around her but how shes changing little by little showing care and affection, which makes him reminisce of the time when the party discussed with her about taking a apperentice and she straight declined but now its different. "shes a good master" shows hes glad that she has come this far and has taken such steps in her life. Now he has put her on the path to remove that left regret in her with himmel. Hopefully the journey is well intersting. Looking forward to next epsiode.
Oct 5, 2023 4:39 AM
Sep 2023
amazing first 4 episodes never watch subbed but i did for this one
Oct 5, 2023 5:30 AM
Mar 2018
awesome eps waiting for stark

Oct 5, 2023 6:03 AM
Aug 2023
I liked last episode better
Oct 5, 2023 8:51 AM

May 2015
This anime is so relaxing.
Oct 5, 2023 2:39 PM
May 2022
Incorporating a captivating blend of both drama and adventure, this anime's narrative unfolds in a truly unique fashion, evoking memories of 'Fumetsu no Anata e' while carving out its distinct identity.

The art style, reminiscent of 'Mushoku Tensei' seamlessly integrates with the storyline, enhancing the overall viewing experience.

One of the standout aspects of this anime is its well-developed characters, grounded in realism.

Notably, it excels in elucidating the intricacies of the elf world, including the fascinating details of their lifespan.

Emotions are skillfully conveyed throughout the series, ensuring that viewers will experience moments of hearty laughter and heartfelt tears, making it an absolute must-watch for fans who cherish anime classics like 'Fumetsu no Anata e,' 'Violet Evergarden,' or 'Mushishi.'

In my humble opinion, this anime holds immense potential, primarily due to its compelling storyline.

Although I have only had the pleasure of viewing the initial four episodes and haven't delved into the manga, there appears to be a consensus among manga enthusiasts that it may receive more acclaim than it currently enjoys. With each episode, the anticipation for its future development grows, and I remain optimistic about the path it's treading.
Oct 5, 2023 3:35 PM

Jan 2021
A mere 10 year adventure is about to start

Oct 5, 2023 7:08 PM

Oct 2021
These four episodes were such a beautiful introduction to Frieren, now the real journey begins. We should get to meet a certain someone in today's EP, which I'm looking forward to.
Oct 5, 2023 10:27 PM

Jul 2008
That was a lovely and super long introduction. XD
I want more!!
My candies:
Oct 6, 2023 3:36 AM

Jul 2014
Done with the first 4 eps and I must say I know this start already. Going on the journey of life and meeting new people to learn more from their stories
Oct 6, 2023 3:47 AM

Aug 2018
"It's only a ten-year adventure."
Now there is a main goal for this trip.
Very good chapter.
These 4 chapters were too good.
(Chapters 06 to 08 of the manga adapted.)

Oct 6, 2023 7:18 AM

Jan 2018
With that ending, I guess the real story starts from now. The goal is Frieren reaching the Ende and reuniting with Himmel. 10 years of travel might not be long for an Elf but I think it'd be long enough for it to be a long-running series, assuming the manga didn't already reach that point and started some brand-new arcs.

After watching these 4 episodes, I think it was probably for the best that the 2-hour prologue movie was split into 4 episodes which I didn't expect at all. I feel like they work better as separate episodes since the events all feel so disconnected.

I think I'm liking this so far but NGL I was expecting it to be a bit more "unique." Of course, you don't have to kill all the party members for shock value for it to be "unique" or "good" I just wasn't expecting the concept to be so safe and predictable.

The one thing that I'll have to complain about is the way the characters talk. Especially Frieren and Fern. They sound so unenthusiastic about everything. I don't think they need to speak like Shonen or romcom anime characters where they scream all the time but damn, sometimes it feels so boring hearing them talk like that. I'm not expecting this to change anytime soon.
Oct 6, 2023 8:33 AM
May 2021
If, like me, you're a sucker for a slice of life and a tearjerker, it's definitely for you. It's right up my street PLUS cute elf girl 😍 I've been waiting for this for a while and I was NOT disappointed. I think it's an interesting and refreshing idea tbh, seeing the aftermath, the downtime, the life for an elf, after her party killed the demon king and her party aged and died because they don't live as long as elves. It's a journey of discovery for her, understanding time, memories, loss, mortality, regret and bonds. it's bittersweet and the art is absolutely beautiful. It lived up to my expectations and im really excited for more.
Oct 6, 2023 6:18 PM

May 2015
Frieren got taught by a legendary teacher, I see she learned well as she became a legendary mage herself.
Oct 7, 2023 12:17 PM

Jan 2017
wandering witch vibes but longer

Oct 7, 2023 8:34 PM
Jun 2007
They are "helping" to clean up the shores.
Then met up with Eisen and he wanted to find Flamme's notes.
Flamme was Frieren "teacher".
Found Flamme's notes and they are heading to Demon King's castle to find "heaven".
Oct 8, 2023 9:23 AM

Aug 2021
yet another "mere" 10-year-journey awaits. you gotta think these adventures are going to add up eventually and they won't look so mere anymore
Oct 9, 2023 3:01 PM

Sep 2014
Of course Flamme was her teacher. I wonder what you have to do to be considered "The legendary mage" even a thousand years later, especially when you presumably only had a humans lifetime.

Spending 20 years (counting the time she spend already) retracing your 10 year adventure over 50 years later is something you can only do when you live thousands of years or it would just be a huge waste of time compared to creating new memories.

I love deep lore in fantasy, spending time exploring the past is what I like to do in fantasy RPGs as well.
Comander-07Oct 9, 2023 3:11 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 9, 2023 6:35 PM

Sep 2016
Dwarf 30 years prior: "I'm too old to wield an axe"

Also Dwarf now: *lifts giant boulder*

Seems legit.
bruh
Oct 11, 2023 12:20 AM

Jan 2009
so they gonna journey for 10 years to find this place where you can talk to the dead souls
Oct 11, 2023 6:11 PM
Mar 2015
She is trying to recapture what she missed
Oct 11, 2023 8:20 PM
Feb 2017
A really good content
Oct 12, 2023 10:40 AM
Nov 2022
Now there is a clear goal in the plot, I thought it would just be an episodic series, nice.
Oct 13, 2023 10:18 PM

Jan 2018
Reply to SentiOnikawa

@SentiOnikawa Im an anime only but this doesnt feel like a shounen anime at all. The build up seems like something that would be more in line with a seinen anime. I feel like the ending is gonna be really sad.
Oct 14, 2023 6:06 PM
Oct 2021
this is a unexpected series that literally i like, usually i didn't really like isekai anime
Oct 14, 2023 6:11 PM
Apr 2022
Simplemente bello
Oct 16, 2023 2:38 PM
Dec 2014
Reply to Konan_Edogawa_
@SentiOnikawa Im an anime only but this doesnt feel like a shounen anime at all. The build up seems like something that would be more in line with a seinen anime. I feel like the ending is gonna be really sad.
@Konan_Edogawa_ It will have a bittersweet ending. Doing something excessively happy or excessively depressing taints the entire series otherwise.

Oct 18, 2023 4:48 AM

Jul 2021
I have seen many stories with elves, they are often portrayed as carefree creatures who live long lives but Frieren is totally different from them, the author of this story has put a lot of effort into making Frieren into a complex character.
“There are only two types of people in the world--those who became otaku and those who didn't--and the latter just can't understand what the former is so excited about."--Ono Norihiro

Oct 18, 2023 2:34 PM

Jun 2014
So, Fern must undergo the "10 year journey" that Frieren and her companions did many years ago.

Will they find this "heaven" that is supposedly there?

Oct 18, 2023 3:27 PM
Jan 2018
hope the journey from here has a meaning, but I wouldn''t mind if they were just going around in the style of Kino no Tabi. I really like the atmosphere so far, the setting is interesting but chilled out in a way.
Oct 19, 2023 6:14 AM
Mar 2023
Well people, that's it for the super premiere of this anime (C H U L A D A), 2 hours of being like a little child in a candy store.
I am very struck by the almost tsundere attitude that Frieren has at times, when she wants to do something out of mere kindness or honestly wants to help someone because it comes from her heart, she tries to cover it with "I'm doing it for myself", I'm not sure if It is to prevent the opposing party from feeling indebted to them or simply to not appear "vulnerable" in a certain way. Then, once again they let us see how some regret from her past makes Frieren decide to choose a path that she would not normally choose in order to, in a way, "forgive herself" or seek some way to " "redemption" for the feeling of guilt generated by regret about some things that he did not experience at the time, and now that time passes he wishes he had experienced them in the company of his group. The fact that they revealed to us that Frieren's teacher was Flamme and that she had prepared a way to help our protagonist in advance before giving birth, makes it more than clear to us that she already saw the complications she is going through now coming, But instead of correcting her at the time, he decided to let her experience them so that she could learn from her mistakes and grow as a person.
See you next week for the continuation of the story ^^
Oct 19, 2023 5:03 PM
Oct 2015
very good episode !
Oct 19, 2023 10:29 PM

May 2023
very good episode, what stands out the most about the anime in general is the art and the animation, I was amazed and I hope it continues like this

Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Sep 29, 2023

595 by anikevin »»
Yesterday, 9:29 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

860 by savocake »»
Jul 5, 6:19 PM

» most likely different staff and studio as other anime like dungeon meshi, kaiju 8, mushoku tensei already have sequels fast

deg - Jun 30

47 by Marmotzel »»
Jul 5, 2:51 PM

» fukushi the animation producer of frieren will show up on anime expo 2024 this july 5

deg - Jun 5

16 by deg »»
Jul 5, 2:42 PM

» If Frieren was an isekai ( 1 2 )

JoeChip - Jul 2

60 by Lina_Enjoyer »»
Jul 5, 2:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.