Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (31) « First ... « 28 29 [30] 31 »
Jan 4, 2021 5:46 PM
Aug 2020
I just finished the show and have a quick question: If Witches are just evolved Magical Girls, why do familiars exist then?
Jan 22, 2021 6:10 PM
Jul 2018
Goddammit i feel like I've been giving out too many tens but they all deserve it, and this one does the most. I don't know if its a new favorite but its damn close. This show broke me. Fantastic.
Feb 3, 2021 7:07 AM
May 2020
This anime hit me like a truck. I haven't cried this hard at a piece of media, let alone an anime this hard.
Mar 12, 2021 7:23 PM

Mar 2018
Quite a beautiful and surreal ending provided with heavy emotions to tie all together. I'm glad this show was able to recover itself quite nicely.

Albeit, the first 6 episodes failed to pull me into the show, leaving me at one point even considering to drop it until it started to pick itself up in the end of EP.6.

The Labyrinth art style also didn't help it's case as it failed to feel immersive in those atmospheres.

It's unfortunate because many of the psychological elements and theme/character developments in the second half were really well done, but it feels like it's held back by it's premise of teenage girls becoming magical girls due to the energy in their high fluctuating emotions. If this premise was replaced with a more mature atmosphere to fit it's psychological ideals, I feel this shows impact would be a lot greater and in result, would have been more renowned in anime.

With that said, I do feel it's weighted score renders the show over-rated by at least 0.3 and one too many 10's, with many probably evaluating the show based on the high note it ended on instead of the show as a whole.

8/10
Celest__Mar 13, 2021 10:46 AM
Mar 21, 2021 3:58 AM

Feb 2020
Very good overall, but I still prefer Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru over this.

8.5/10.
May 2, 2021 4:32 PM
Mar 2018
lmao madoka wish was something i thought of right when the wish concept was introduced back in ep 1. overall, pretty good show. no big complaints. the final fight was resolved pretty quickly but i guess it makes sense. 8.5/10.
May 26, 2021 4:12 AM

May 2020
I am now crying, incredible anime
May 27, 2021 3:37 AM
Apr 2020
Holy hell that was really unexpected.. What an ultimate thrilling and epic ending

I'm now glad I sticked this till the end. The first couple of episodes weren't that good and I get a bit sleepy, and I was wondering why the rate is too high, too.. BUT thanks to the continuous plot twists and ridiculous atmosphere, music, drama and animation, my interests never got wavered. And with that last episode, I can't wait to watch the movies. Trully a magical masterpiece anime. I will rate this an 9/10 Another diamond for studio SHAFT ;)

The third movie is the sequel of this one, right? Cuz it seems that there's more to this, based on the ending.
Jun 3, 2021 5:43 PM
Dec 2017
never was really such a thing as a happy ending in the world of the Urobutcher.

Jun 16, 2021 6:47 PM

Jun 2019
My 37th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it an 8/10 rating.
Jun 20, 2021 8:57 AM

Jul 2020
It has been a great weekend.Started watching it from Friday and have been addicted ever since.Dunno what was the need to create a sequel movie when it has a PERFECT ending but I'll still watch it anyway.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jul 12, 2021 10:57 PM
Mar 2021
DAMN. IT WAS A MASTERPIECE
Jul 18, 2021 4:32 PM

Apr 2018
Madoka is really overpowered as magical girl. She can create and end a whole universe. Trapped in space forever. Well, her wish was to destroy all the witches. And she did it. A good ending I guess.

The OST was phenomenal, animation was good, the backgrounds were on a whole different level of stoned.

8/10

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Oct 2, 2021 1:25 AM
May 2021
I'm really disappointed with the ending its like darling in the frankxx.

7/10 for me
Oct 3, 2021 9:44 AM

Apr 2020
Storm1988 said:
I just finished the show and have a quick question: If Witches are just evolved Magical Girls, why do familiars exist then?

Every living being attempts to spread offspring, and witches are no exception. Witches give birth to familiars that eventually grow up to become full-fledged witches. Also, think about it, if witches could only be born from magical girls, then wouldn't the witch population be much less? There would not be enough witches and grief seeds for everyone. Less grief seeds=less soul gem cleaning=higher probability of a magical girl becoming a witch instead of dying ('dying' as in how Mami was killed)=higher probability of a magical girl witnessing a witch transformation, and thus the secret about witches being magical girls would have spread much more. Also, witches would have been much scarcer, and so magical girls would probably notice if a witch conveniently appeared in the local area when one of their magical girl friends disappeared.

If you are wondering why they give birth to familiars and not baby magical girls, you can refer to the evolution of species. Humans came from chimpanzees, but that does not mean we give birth to chimpanzees right?
TheDeathstormerOct 4, 2021 5:02 AM

"A single 'thank you' is worth more than a million sorries."
-𝐸𝓂𝒾𝓁𝒾𝒶
Oct 30, 2021 7:45 AM
Sep 2021
Pain and suffering
Nov 4, 2021 9:08 AM

Jul 2016
all i can say is damn, really.
it's a happy but sad ending... at the very least, homura has somehow kept the flame of madoka's memory alive single-handedly. by what willpower, i don't know, but her devotion to madoka is scary. they're like soulmates. homura's drive to save madoka saved the cycle of witches from continuing ever again. it's a good thing that madoka was given all that potential from the constant time rewrites and rewinds in particular, her character is true altruism personified... i don't think someone can actually be that honed and perfect were they not a pink-haired anime main character, but nonetheless that is irrelevant. 9/10. a very, very good original series. the art, animation, and music have my overflowing gratitude.
Nov 11, 2021 12:35 AM
Oct 2020
I love this ending so much still
Nov 16, 2021 1:41 AM

May 2020
So Madoka is now God ? Nice.

Overall, this was a pretty decent show. I can't say I was blown away by any of it or particularly impressed by anything but nonetheless, it was enjoyable most of the time.
Nov 17, 2021 8:54 PM

Aug 2021
For that reason I respect Madoka very much.
Nov 20, 2021 8:46 PM

Dec 2017
I have no words, yet here I am posting a reply just to share with the world emotions I cannot express
Nov 23, 2021 12:52 PM
Nov 2021
Sooo jesus wasnt the one who died for our sins it was actually madoka....

Great anime btw its giving me the mahou shoujo site vibes but well madoka is like 10 times better. 7/10
Dec 15, 2021 12:25 AM
Apr 2018
So Madoka wished to become "god", and as a side-effect erased every trace of her existence.

BTW, does anyone know what those black cubes Homura throw towards Kyubey towards the end of the episode?
Dec 31, 2021 3:58 AM
Jul 2018
I've never had something like this make me crying this much... AND I'M NOT THE CRYING TYPE.
The feeling of existential sadness of just... not existing is sitting in my gut like a fucking rock.
Brilliant anime! I loved it! It's my favorite so far (even though I haven't watch much)!
Gonna get to the movies later on, but damn, I'm so glad I watched this!!
Jan 6, 2022 11:45 AM

Dec 2012
Madoka will become a Puella Magi.
Erase every witch before they born?
Every world, past and future?
Fulfill it, Incubator.
Mami.
Dat transformation.
Dem arrows.
Dat time travel.

Sayaka doesn't get to live. lol

Watch date: 5/2020
RobJan 6, 2022 12:10 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 13, 2022 5:44 PM
Jan 2022
i didn't really think i would enjoy this anime but by the end i was glad i watched.

i thought the beginning was a little slow. i didn't have high expectations for madoka, but that's my fault for expecting something completely different from the show than what it was. i definitely did not expect it to get as deep as it did, even after the first ep.

i'll miss the animation from the witches' labyrinths. and sayaka.
Jan 18, 2022 5:28 AM

Jun 2012
That was pretty good. And even if it wasn't I have a fundamental appreciation for an anime original story with a beginning, middle and an end.

Wait what's that, this conclusively ended anime has a sequel movie? Oh gee I wonder if that has anything to do with the explosive popularity of this rather nice story. I guess even Kyubey is no match for the power of real world money arbitrarily shaping the fate of fictional universes. And 8 years and counting between movies, lol. Pretty easy decision to leave the Madokaverse here and be satisfied.
Jan 24, 2022 6:46 AM

Jan 2021
It was meh. Pacing was awful for like 70+% of the show. Last two or three episodes were alright but still far from covering up the 9-10 episodes of mess.

Overall, 6/10. Being heavily generous here .
Feb 20, 2022 7:12 AM

Nov 2021
I finally watched, I don't know why, but I never got emotional about any of the characters in this anime
Apr 10, 2022 12:23 AM
Apr 2022
Tbh I'm a little confused about the ending. Also in this episode Homura is so freaking badass. I still feel sorry about Sayaka but I hope she can die peacefully.
🍦🍨🍫
Apr 16, 2022 7:06 PM

Aug 2014
I can see why Madoka Magika is very popular among many in the anime community, but it is a very overrated anime, and an anime that I was mostly bored. 

I highly recommend that you watch Madoka Magika in English dub.  The English dub is great and you wont be disappointed. The reason I say this is because since this anime has TONS of info-dumping or casual talking, this anime can get boring and tiring real fast if you watch it in original Japanese dub with subtitles. Given, its still a rough watch if you watch it English dub, but it will be more tolerable those info-dumping or casual talking scenes.

Anywho, MM has great action scenes and great background music, and it is unique.  It is definitely an anime that every anime fan must watch, even if you didnt like the anime, since MM is an anime that every anime fan must form an opinion of.

With that said, the producers should have cut down this anime to 10-episodes instead of 12-episodes, or just make this a movie, to speed up its pacing, since the pacing was a drag most of the time.
oooo3333Jan 27, 2023 2:22 AM
Apr 18, 2022 6:22 PM

Sep 2020
so after rewatching this episode, did Madoka really die? sacrificing herself?
May 2, 2022 10:31 PM
Dec 2016
Great ending. Perfect answer to all the questions kyubei put forward for madoka. Love how kyubei was like of course her wish is gonna create the strongest witch and then madoka one shots it like “um yeah i wished for no witches so” 😂. Can’t wait to watch the movie and side stories. Great series from start to finish. Not understanding why it’s so many people who were “bored” or “couldn’t understand” in this thread. Go back to watching Shonen series or something if your little bean brains can’t let you understand a simple but thought provoking anime.
May 29, 2022 9:29 AM

Feb 2021
I don't get it. It's not a masterpiece but still a pretty enjoyable ride thanks to the nice animation
Jun 11, 2022 11:25 AM
Nov 2020
tbh! Was slow at first but it's just actually really good in general, I'd love to watch that for the first time again even though i only started watching yesterday and then finished it today lol..
Jul 5, 2022 5:02 PM

Mar 2021
I'd give it a 9 just bc they didn't kiss, but it's too perfect...
Jul 31, 2022 11:59 AM

Jun 2016
So Madoka rewrote the Universe to eradicate the Witch issue, eh. Somehow an evil still lurks, but it's down to Homura to fight the fight Madoka can't. Kind of a tragically sweet ending, huh.

I suppose in this timeline everyone apart from Sayaka survived? Honestly, I can't really tell.

This is exactly the type of show that Shaft would deliver, filled to the brim with artistic creativity and imagination, but that doesn't mean it was perfect. Tbh, it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. Although I don't consider it a masterpiece, it is a valuable piece of work.

Aug 17, 2022 3:25 PM

Jul 2022
I loved the first 9 episodes, but the final 3 fell flat for me.

I mentioned it in the Episode 10 discussion already, but the time travel aspect, though expected, ruined any attachment I had to the characters. The ending was also a letdown.

In a way, the lack of explanation about Homura and Kyubey in the early episodes was a lot more interesting than the explanation we got in the latter ones.

There were many times early on when I'd say, "This show is so good!", but by the end everything was more like, "Eh, this is fine." I give it a 7/10 overall, which stinks since it was trending toward a 9 or 10 for a while.
Aug 21, 2022 12:42 AM
Apr 2021
FUCK DAT CAT MAN PIECE OF SHIT IT DESERVES TO DIE
Aug 24, 2022 4:42 AM
Aug 2022
Wow an amazing conclusion, I was wondering for awhile why Madoka couldn't just make a big retconning wish like destroying all the witches or Kyubeys or something like that.

I actually find the wish really satisfying, she gets rid of the biggest threat the girls face in the setting but it doesn't remove their sacrifices. Would have been a little annoyed if everything just got rewritten into a fluffy slice of life series.

Rebellion will probably screw with this perception but my view on the after credits sequence is Homura went on fighting wraiths for centuries even millennia afterwards never forgetting Madoka until she finally started to turn into a witch and Madoka saves her like all the rest at the last moment. That's what the final scene is portraying, her reward so to speak.
Aug 26, 2022 1:29 PM

Dec 2016
Today is Friday, and I've accidentally finished watching this masterpiece today. Could I be more stupid having it in my PTW for decades and going for it only now? Goddamn, I've never expected it to be so dark and heavy, love it. Shinbō-sensei never misses, SHAFT is one of the best studios in existence, this anime is iconic. Though as yuri connoisseur I kinda wanted Homura and Madoka to kiss—I swear this goes against my will—I understand it might be out of place a little and somewhat distracting from the main theme. Have nothing more to say really, definitely gonna watch all the movies and excited for Walpurgisnacht: Rising.
Sep 10, 2022 2:47 PM
Aug 2022
pretty good ending. it's hard to explain what exactly happened but long story short madoka wished for there not be any witches, and because that's technically not something possible because of curses and stuff like that, this created a new universe where madoka pretty much became a god in a way, and only homura was aware of her prescence. trust me it makes more sense if you watch it, plus i'm sure there are people who can explain it better. anyways this is a damn good series. it's an 8/10. not sure if i prefer it over 2003 fullmetal alchemist, but it's up there for me.
Sep 15, 2022 5:55 AM

Dec 2019
My favorite episode out of the whole series tbh
Sep 17, 2022 3:24 AM
Sep 2022
حسنا كان هذا غير متوقع تركزت هذه الحلقة على الدراما بشكل خاص حسنا لقد اختفت مادوكا من الوجود من الذاكرة هذا مميز لكن النهاية المنطقة تعني أنه يجب مشاهدة الفلم في الحال↖️
Sep 28, 2022 12:56 PM

Feb 2014
Dumb Sayaka: "I wanted to hear him playing one more time" you did when you brought him to the top roof
Oct 12, 2022 5:12 AM
Aug 2020
I mean uhh Idk. Like Idk it was uhh. Idk
Oct 27, 2022 11:28 AM
Oct 2022
Madoka! Madoka! Madoka! Madoka! Madoka!
Nov 18, 2022 8:59 PM
Daydreamer

Mar 2020
I don't understand why this show's score dropped so dramatically over the years (judging from The Internet Archive). Not that 8.36 is a bad score itself, but for what is this anime worth, it's a fucking joke. It was a bit slow at the start and the ending has a few unexplained points, so? Not enough to justiy it being so far from top50, not even in top100. It's Evangelion applied to magical girls but better, yet it has met the same fate. But while I totally agree with NGE being where it is, I don't understand this sitting so low. I might be biased, but for me is a 10/10 no matter the few flaws, and I really rarely give 10s.
Dec 31, 2022 1:34 AM
Sep 2019
...Beautiful even as a concept
Jan 10, 2023 1:49 PM
Aug 2022
QUE BELLEZA DIOS MIO, obra de arte 10/10
Pages (31) « First ... « 28 29 [30] 31 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

231 by Archean-Return »»
Yesterday, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 3, 2011

463 by Archean-Return »»
Yesterday, 12:25 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

631 by Archean-Return »»
Yesterday, 2:40 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 17, 2011

420 by Archean-Return »»
Yesterday, 2:11 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

526 by Archean-Return »»
Yesterday, 1:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.