Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Apr 12, 2018 5:15 AM

Feb 2011
matheoo41 said:
I have a feeling I've already seen a character similar to Asirpa somewhere, that young female orphan skilled fighter, telling others what to do type. The only one that springs to mind now is Madlax, but that's not it.

Thematically the most similar character to Asirpa is the protagonist of Princess Mononoke.
Though, no talking spirit wolves here, and Asirpa is younger than San.

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Apr 12, 2018 5:27 AM

Jan 2016
It's just slightly confusing, but very good. The CGI bear was good, but looked out of place :P
Apr 12, 2018 7:12 AM
Nov 2014
An illustration by the main animator Hayama Junichi!

and this one by the character designer Oonuki Kenichi
Apr 12, 2018 8:30 AM

Feb 2017
5/5 for aboriginal moe!
"I am not a Mochi Monster" - Nyanko Sensei
Apr 12, 2018 8:40 AM

Aug 2013
that was one better CGI I've seen for a while
even the bonfire is a CGI too
I don't really mind, I'm here for the story
Apr 12, 2018 11:59 AM

Jul 2016
The story is unique for sure but the animation is not the best I'm not saying that it's bad but it didn't reach the expectations I had for it.

The MC got me confuse a little bit 'cuz in one scene he is the cold hearted person who can kill with no hasitasion and in another scene he is the caring guy who will do anything to help his friend's wife I'm not saying that it's bad actually it's the contrary because I have never seen a character like this before.
Apr 12, 2018 2:55 PM

May 2009
Really shame it's low budget show. Curse of Young Jump strikes again.
Apr 12, 2018 5:42 PM

Dec 2008
SMH or the Bear. LOL
Apr 13, 2018 11:27 AM

May 2015
I didn't expect anything from this, so it became a very pleasant surprise. Even CGI was bearable (huh).
Oh, and now I have high hopes for this, really liked the MC.
Apr 13, 2018 2:08 PM

Jun 2015
This was very different. I can't wait for next episode.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Apr 13, 2018 3:46 PM
Jul 2017
I didn't mind the bear so much, but I can see how people who are really into the visuals would think it's jarring.

Great show otherwise. Bear-puncher man-skinner FTW.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Apr 13, 2018 6:50 PM

Jan 2014
Does... paper not exist in this world?
Apr 13, 2018 11:02 PM
Mar 2018
Jotakak said:

i found it quite funny how you think prison convict have easy access to pen and paper
and in case he draw it on paper it would just got stolen by the prison warden
the reason why he put it as tattoo to the most dangerous convicts on the prison is to ensure the government will got greedy and get the convicts moved which led to the convicts escape
Apr 14, 2018 3:47 AM
Mar 2012
That's some cool plan by the prisoners.
Art is just ok as expected of genos & some parts kind of dry like kokkoku (the dry infodumps).
The best parts happen to be the action camera, and CG bear. The fur is pseudo toon shaded & most of it moves menacingly, altho the mix of realistic vs cartoony movements is odd. They dont seem to have high budget so 2d bear probably would move like shit, tho cg bear isnt cheap all all either.
CG wolf however is kinda bad but that's just a few seconds.
Sugimoto has a cool va & great vibe, but the Ainu loli sounds like monotonically rushing to read a script.

Apr 14, 2018 4:27 AM
Dec 2017
Art was OK, Animation was pretty much the same as Kokkoku. CGI was... well you can say, different.

It's one of those treasure hunting stories, but the delivery was good and straight to the point. Absolutely looking forward to the whole season.
Apr 14, 2018 5:41 AM

Nov 2011
Perhaps the protagonist is a little frantic, perhaps in the same situation I would have been too, however I had imagined that during the narration there would be a lot of bloodshed, but not so much and above all, I was impressed by the great naturalness shown by Sugimoto and from Asirpa in the first one the corpse of the drunkard and the girl in dissecting the animals. However, even now the protagonist has had a characterization that makes it stand out a bit as a character, I refer to his coldness in killing and at the same time to humanity shown to the man who a moment before wanted to kill him. What a pity to see, however, that a so interesting story has been matched with a really inadequate graphic quality, I'm sad!
Apr 14, 2018 11:22 AM

Jan 2014
DandyMadao said:
Jotakak said:

i found it quite funny how you think prison convict have easy access to pen and paper
the reason why he put it as tattoo to the most dangerous convicts on the prison is to ensure the government will got greedy and get the convicts moved which led to the convicts escape

Dude, I meant copying the tattoos to paper instead of skinning people and carrying around human skin.
Apr 14, 2018 12:33 PM

Jul 2014
The bear and wolf looked dreadful. Other than that, the story seems promising and the main character is interesting.
Apr 14, 2018 3:27 PM
TMNT Lover

Oct 2017
To begin with, I just want to say that I've never read the manga, and so am going into this anime as unprepared as most. However, as someone who has spent five years doing extensive research into Japanese history and culture, and is now currently beginning to write a thesis on the benefits of studying this, I must admit how impressed I am with this first episode.

Though slight, we do get some small looks into Japanese history, and the stigma Ainu people had to live under, and the divides their culture faced between the other Japanese. We also see small glimpses of the horror of war and what it takes to tackle it, as well as the humanity even a hardened warrior could have in dealing with others and upholding a hospitable front.

In regards of animation, I can't say the CGI animals were overly impressive, and there were several still shots where it was obvious no funding was being unnecessarily spent. However this is just a first episode, so there are of course ways it can be worse or better in the weeks to come.

I shall keep on watching in anticipation, and eagerly await what Golden Kamuy has in store for us next!
Apr 14, 2018 7:16 PM
Mar 2018
Jotakak said:
DandyMadao said:

Dude, I meant copying the tattoos to paper instead of skinning people and carrying around human skin.

Apr 14, 2018 7:31 PM

Jan 2014
DandyMadao said:
Jotakak said:

I didn't say anything about them/him killing people. I just hope he gets paper instead of skinning anyone else, dead or alive.
Apr 14, 2018 9:53 PM
Mar 2018
Jotakak said:
DandyMadao said:

I didn't say anything about them/him killing people. I just hope he gets paper instead of skinning anyone else, dead or alive.

to make sure the tattoo is real
everybody can easily make fake tattoo drawing but not everyone can make fake tattooed skin
Apr 15, 2018 3:10 AM

Sep 2014
Don't anything about this show or what its based on, but I really liked it. I laughed out loud when he punched the bear. Of which, that CG really isn't that bad, it's well animated, though abit out of place in parts, but then again I watched Killing Bites which had far worse CG and that Fist of the North Star that looked god awful, so I can let this slide for the few moments it seemed out of place.
Apr 15, 2018 5:48 AM
Apr 2010
I looked on MAL before actually watching the first episode and I was so shocked why such nice title was rated only 7.4?
Then I watched the episode.
GODDAMIT THIS BEAR WAS SO BAD THAT IT'S HARD TO SIMPLY IGNORE IT
but everything else was neat.
Apr 15, 2018 8:46 AM

Mar 2018
Well, that was great. A thoroughly entertaining episode straight off the bat.

I'm overjoyed by the fact that this anime takes place during the early 20th century at the backdrop of the Sino-Russian war. I can't accurately recall any other Anime set in the same period of which i'm sure there is.

The protagonist seems bad-ass. The cuts on his face and the nickname. Can almost guarantee it was inspired by Blade of the Immortal.

I also liked the Ainu reference at the beginning. Their history is quite important in regards to the early 20th century of Japan and i loved the fact they included them, although briefly (as the group of people who were killed and had their gold stolen). The inner history-enthusiast in me is happy with the inclusion.

But what won me over is that damn premise. Treasure is the end-goal and the route to it is through the scalps of numerous death-row inmates. I can't wait to see how all the foes in the coming episodes will be characterised.

All in all the premise, setting and main character all seem like the perfect concoction for a thoroughly entertaining anime.
I'm in two minds right now debating to myself if i should pick up the manga or not.

Recommend me some short Manga!

Apr 15, 2018 8:53 AM

Mar 2018
Tarable said:
To begin with, I just want to say that I've never read the manga, and so am going into this anime as unprepared as most. However, as someone who has spent five years doing extensive research into Japanese history and culture, and is now currently beginning to write a thesis on the benefits of studying this, I must admit how impressed I am with this first episode.

Though slight, we do get some small looks into Japanese history, and the stigma Ainu people had to live under, and the divides their culture faced between the other Japanese. We also see small glimpses of the horror of war and what it takes to tackle it, as well as the humanity even a hardened warrior could have in dealing with others and upholding a hospitable front.

In regards of animation, I can't say the CGI animals were overly impressive, and there were several still shots where it was obvious no funding was being unnecessarily spent. However this is just a first episode, so there are of course ways it can be worse or better in the weeks to come.

I shall keep on watching in anticipation, and eagerly await what Golden Kamuy has in store for us next!

I share the same exact sentiment regarding the historical aspect of the show. Only thing that drew me into watching the episode in the first place was the fact it takes place during the Sino-Russian conflicts. Anyone who knows the basic history of Japan during those times knows about the plight of the Ainu people and their inclusion was brilliant. Really hope there's more of the history on display in future episodes outside of the basic setting.

Also agree with you entirely on the animation. Thought some shots looked pretty eg; the start of pond scene and the prison scene. But the rest was meh to downright garbage (WTF was that bear!).

Apr 15, 2018 8:54 AM

Jan 2011
a good start, the story seems direct and characters interesting, this is how anime should be done

a bit sorry for that mother and baby bear tho
Apr 15, 2018 9:05 AM
TMNT Lover

Oct 2017
LeftHook said:
Tarable said:

I share the same exact sentiment regarding the historical aspect of the show. Only thing that drew me into watching the episode in the first place was the fact it takes place during the Sino-Russian conflicts. Anyone who knows the basic history of Japan during those times knows about the plight of the Ainu people and their inclusion was brilliant. Really hope there's more of the history on display in future episodes outside of the basic setting.

Also agree with you entirely on the animation. Thought some shots looked pretty eg; the start of pond scene and the prison scene. But the rest was meh to downright garbage (WTF was that bear!).

I agree, inclusion of more deep historical aspects will definitely be appreciated. I've watched many samurai shows and it struck me as odd how the Ainu are never even mentioned, and the main conflict came from rival samurai groups or an invading group of foreigners. While slightly irritating because of this, at least it lends Golden Kamuy a fresh and interesting start.

I was actually trying to accept the animation at first, but because of my corrupted mind I kept thinking of Drifters animation budget and how it was still able to pull off pretty much all of their scenes without relying on blurred perspectives and CGI elements, like the bear and some hand movements. But again, we shall just have to wait and see whether this improves.

I also think your comparison to Blade of the Immortal was spot on, though personally it reminded me of Sword of the Stranger. The world has a similar feel, and both try to set up a plot using historical backing. I just hope the fights become as fluid and real as in SotS, because all I've seen so far have been very choppy and stunted.
Apr 15, 2018 10:02 AM

May 2017
Damn, this series started out pretty unique story-wise.
Definitely the best story this season.
In regards to the visuals it's not a looker, but serviceable.
Bring on ep 02!
The_Smoking_ManApr 15, 2018 10:09 AM
Apr 15, 2018 10:16 AM

Mar 2018
Tarable said:
LeftHook said:

I agree, inclusion of more deep historical aspects will definitely be appreciated. I've watched many samurai shows and it struck me as odd how the Ainu are never even mentioned, and the main conflict came from rival samurai groups or an invading group of foreigners. While slightly irritating because of this, at least it lends Golden Kamuy a fresh and interesting start.

I was actually trying to accept the animation at first, but because of my corrupted mind I kept thinking of Drifters animation budget and how it was still able to pull off pretty much all of their scenes without relying on blurred perspectives and CGI elements, like the bear and some hand movements. But again, we shall just have to wait and see whether this improves.

I also think your comparison to Blade of the Immortal was spot on, though personally it reminded me of Sword of the Stranger. The world has a similar feel, and both try to set up a plot using historical backing. I just hope the fights become as fluid and real as in SotS, because all I've seen so far have been very choppy and stunted.

Inspired by your last couple of sentences to actually watch SotS now. It's been on my plan to watch list for quite some time.

Anyway, I decided to look up their depiction in Anime. And it is true, they're rarely ever mentioned. In fact, even in other mediums such as TV or Film it's pretty much the same thing. Not sure if you hold the answer or not but i'm wondering if there's a deeper reason as to why. Other nations whose foundations either wholly or partly are built on the oppression of the aboriginals have some form of media where either sympathy or just pure acknowledgement is expressed at the plight of those natives. Examples include the film Rabbit Proof Fence (regarding the aboriginals in Australia) and also a ton of Native American films from the US. But in Japan there's next to zilch, despite the fact theirs tons of titles in Anime and Manga in existence that are centred around almost every conceivable topic you can think of.

I mean, Japan is still constantly in miniature feuds with neighbouring countries like Korea who only recently at the beginning of this year demanded an apology from Japan regarding their use of "comfort women" during their colonialist ventures in the region. In fact there's a ton of apologies regarding the black spots of their history that were made only in the last decade. Which is far far later than other countries such as Germany and Italy did. This kind of tells us a few things, most notably how Japan rarely likes to acknowledge their brutalities of the past and maybe the Ainu plight which falls into this is victim to the same lack of 'acknowledgement'.

A lot of this does sound like conjecture but it's what i think is the case, partially anyway. It's another reason why i'm so ecstatic that we one of the main protagonists is an Ainu girl, strengthened more by the fact she alludes to her history when she mentions the traits of the killer bear through reference of her Ainu language. I'll be tuning into Golden Kamuy every week now hoping there's more of this to come.

On a side note though i did find one famous depiction of the Ainu. Although they aren't mentioned by name their plight IS found in Samurai Champloo and occurs in the twin episodes titled "Lullabies of the Lost".
Here:
    The character called Okuru wears traditional Ainu garb.
    The music/instrumentation in the episode is traditionally from Hokkaido.
    Okuru's village is torched by the Matsumane clan and this is an actual historical occurence.

Moreover, the point i made earlier about Japan not willing to acknowledge their brutal past is reinforced through the Ainu character being portrayed in a sympathetic light despite the fact he's an antagonist. If you read between the lines you'll understand why.

Here's a short clip from that episode.

Apr 15, 2018 2:12 PM
Oct 2015
I dont appreciate the cgi... That could be beatiful with animals and other stuff, just animated, not in cg.
Apr 16, 2018 10:46 AM

Apr 2014
Jotakak said:

You need to watch second episode reroreroshippin-kun
Apr 16, 2018 11:15 AM

Jan 2014
TenNoHao said:
Jotakak said:

TenNoHao said:
Jotakak said:

Will do, sir!
TenNoHao said:
Jotakak said:

Aye! Will do, sir!
Apr 17, 2018 2:46 AM
Feb 2018
That bear must be an evil god. It looks so out of this world!!!

Asides from the bad cgi, the anime is outstanding:

-Good Story to hook us in
-Interesting characters
-and we learn more about the Ainu which is an actual race
Apr 17, 2018 11:59 AM
Mar 2016
Oh nice illustration nearly life like and probabaly this is the only anime were the other MC pay homage to Japan's aborigines them Ainus.
Apr 17, 2018 1:52 PM

Apr 2012
Flat conversation
no expression
why ppl care so much about da bear its good but out of place
rushed animation the bear not even flinched from being shot by sugimoto

i very very love the manga
but this anime is just MEH
Apr 17, 2018 7:31 PM
Jun 2016
Generally I'm not that nitpicky or manga fundamentalist but..... I don't know, something doesn't feel right with this show. Animation felt somewhat "off" right from the beginning.

How is this even possible. Btw, in manga, Sugimoto charges in while (not after) other guys are brutally mowed down.

Look at how those two guys behind Sugimoto are..... in stasis.

And still they don't give a damn about what's going on right in front of them

Out blue, one of them decides to shoot Sugimoto point blank with iron sight. Uh, hello? WHY DON'T YOU JUST HIP SHOOT ASAP OR USE YOUR F-ING BAYONET YOU mjo(#$')'&#P!!??? It's not like original manga is trying to be super realistic or something but COME OOON UGGGHHH.

Other scenes aren't that bad so far (bear definitely looked a bit off too but not a deal breaker for me) and I know it's far too early to cry/whine/REEEEE over muh bad adaptation but..... I just hope show get's magically better somehow.
Apr 18, 2018 2:19 AM

Dec 2015
Still unconvinced this is an award winning series after seeing what seems to be a cheap adaptation.
~
Apr 18, 2018 3:15 AM
Jul 2018
Top_Sergeant said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Never heard of soldiers outnumbering one injured soldier to six (who miraculously missed him for about 2 seconds of continued shooting), suddenly losing any coherence of what they are doing and being thrown around like dirt. This, is alternate history. And this, is a shame for art.

How about being outnumbered 132 to 1 and still winning? Or 150+ to 1? Look up Alvin York and Lachhiman Gurung, who received the Medal of Honor and Victoria Cross, respectively.

Don't forget Jack Churchill, who took 42 soldiers and a mortar crew prisoner using only a broadsword.
Apr 19, 2018 4:17 AM

Jun 2013
damn that was awesome this is gonna be epic
Apr 19, 2018 9:41 AM

Apr 2015
Opening my season with this.

I recall a certain film about the Somme which ended like 1:10, can't remember exactly what it is

Girl's voice acting was very disappointing to say the least. Last minute or so was extremely fast for some reason. Ending song was shit.
Enough nitpicking, was still pretty entertaining
Apr 19, 2018 12:44 PM
Jan 2016
Interesting start, given I haven't read the manga. What stood out to me most was obviously those fucking bears. I've never seen CGI like that in anime. It was just weird, dude.
Apr 19, 2018 12:47 PM
Jan 2016
Faederwulf said:
Top_Sergeant said:

How about being outnumbered 132 to 1 and still winning? Or 150+ to 1? Look up Alvin York and Lachhiman Gurung, who received the Medal of Honor and Victoria Cross, respectively.

Don't forget Jack Churchill, who took 42 soldiers and a mortar crew prisoner using only a broadsword.
Dude, what? What is with this group of chads?
Apr 19, 2018 1:44 PM
Jul 2017
God damn that CGI was awful
definitely dropping this don't hate me please
Apr 21, 2018 1:20 AM

Feb 2010
Jotakak said:
DandyMadao said:

pritty sure the MC brain isn't wired correctly as demonstrated by the beginning.

not sure about this. the CGI nearly killed me....
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 21, 2018 3:12 AM

Sep 2010
I quite like the premise of the show. I like the historical aspect and cultural aspects as well – something I may do some extra research on. The two main characters didn’t meet under what felt like a forced situation either. They even worked well together. The only major complaint that I have is the odd mix of 2D animation, CG, and 3D animation(?). At least, it looks like there are three separate types of animation in this episode alone. At one point all three are on the same screen. They didn’t meld well together in my opinion. I found it horribly distracting. I can’t quite get used to seeing what looks like a real fire in a mainly 2D world. Then there was the hyper-realistic bear that they fought as well. For whatever reason, such models feel stiff and slow. Whereas the 2D animation was able to be fluid and fast. It just doesn’t flow together when they are shown fighting.

I’ll more than likely still watch the series, but I do hope that the CG and 3D animation is kept to a minimum.

But, seriously. Pretty 2D animated background, odd CG bear, and what looks like a 3D RWBY model wolf:

Apr 21, 2018 8:08 AM

Feb 2011
Jotakak said:

They are hunting gold, and they know they aren't alone, and the map is on the skin. Making a copy of it leaves the original available to be copied more. Which isn't good, if you don't want others to get to the gold before you.

Or if they had made a copy, they would have needed to destroy the corpse, for the same reason.
An other reason is that map skins are more sure to be original than a piece of paper. But that has more to do with other maps they don't have yet.

But most probably, not the gold searching ex-soldier, nor the ainu hunter girl, had any paper on them at the moment. How would they have made a copy without paper? On leaves? They were in the middle of a forest.

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Apr 21, 2018 9:22 AM

Jan 2014
Zeando said:
Jotakak said:

They are hunting gold, and they know they aren't alone, and the map is on the skin. Making a copy of it leaves the original available to be copied more. Which isn't good, if you don't want others to get to the gold before you.

Or if they had made a copy, they would have needed to destroy the corpse, for the same reason.
An other reason is that map skins are more sure to be original than a piece of paper. But that has more to do with other maps they don't have yet.

But most probably, not the gold searching ex-soldier, nor the ainu hunter girl, had any paper on them at the moment. How would they have made a copy without paper? On leaves? They were in the middle of a forest.

My original post was referring to the next time they came across someone's tattoos. Which, if you've watched the next episode, is exactly what they do. The Ainu girl doesn't want him to kill the escaped prisoners.
Apr 22, 2018 1:29 AM
Jan 2018
Incredible first episode! Really excited to see where this anime goes!

But that CGI bear and wolf... Especially the bear... Looked terrible.

Otherwise, a really solid episode! Looking forward to the next one!
Apr 24, 2018 5:07 AM

Jan 2011
Knowing about the bear beforehand it really didn't bother me all that much.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 9 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Aug 8, 2018

18 by cat_holder »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2018

91 by XxEMOxKONATAxX »»
Apr 15, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

41 by elviskocho1023 »»
Mar 24, 1:53 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 11 Discussion

24 by Karva1 »»
Mar 16, 9:24 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 8 Discussion

19 by Karva1 »»
Mar 16, 2:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.