Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Dec 28, 2022 3:20 AM

May 2020
Naughty Santas must be very naughty this year >_< and the poor elves seems to not have much time on their hands. Hope everything will turn out good

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Dec 28, 2022 4:06 AM

Jan 2021
Holy shit more than 250 people didn't send gifts. And i was wondering why the gifts were late. Post their usernames to shame them lmao.

チュブリツァ

Dec 28, 2022 7:36 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
chubritsa said:
Holy shit more than 250 people didn't send gifts. And i was wondering why the gifts were late. Post their usernames to shame them lmao.

If it's like last year then it'll be visible on the gift reveals post who someone's Santa was and which elf gifted instead.

SchrodingerStein said:
It's actually impressive that many managed to screw up such simple instructions. Some people getting busy or whatever is understandable. But I'm genuinely curious what the chain of causation for it all is. Props to the elves scrambling to fix it all, though.

Didn't a big chunk of america get weather troubles and was without power for a bit. No power means no internet. No internet means no ability to send gifts.

RanacchiDec 28, 2022 7:39 AM
Dec 28, 2022 7:41 AM
Captain

Jun 2014
Ranacchi said:

If it's like last year then it'll be visible on the gift reveals post who someone's Santa was and which elf gifted instead.

Interesting... I want to know if my Santa was naughty and would like to thank the elf who made my gift.

Thanks in advance to all the elves for making so many gifts for us.
Dec 28, 2022 8:19 AM
Jan 2022
 Id be happy to set up a recommendation for another person if that is helpful. 
Dec 28, 2022 8:20 AM

Aug 2009
Am I the only odd one who prefers make gifts rather then receive them? xD
Anyway as mentionted above, power outages, sudden health issues, getting "evicted" by a missile strike... many possible reasons for santas to be unable to perform their duties this year. The 403 error when trying to submit the gift form probably the biggest one of them all. 
No point hating, just praise the mods and elfs for pushing thru with the event regardless.
I had lots of fun just trying to figure out recommendation for some1 with completely opposite taste in anime, and discovering quite a few new titles for myself in the process.
Thx for the event, even if it didn't go as planned ♥
Dec 28, 2022 8:46 AM

Jul 2014
I've sent my correction for the gift a bit late (12/20), I was traveling so I was unable to saw the PM that I've receipt before the deadline... Hope my gift is counting :(
Dec 28, 2022 9:12 AM

Oct 2019
jesiolek said:
Anyway as mentionted above, power outages, sudden health issues, getting "evicted" by a missile strike... many possible reasons for santas to be unable to perform their duties this year. The 403 error when trying to submit the gift form probably the biggest one of them all. 
No point hating, just praise the mods and elfs for pushing thru with the event regardless.

I completely agree - there are many legitimate reasons for santas not able to fulfill their duties this year.

Having said that, those santas that have a history or precedence of being naughty (again, for whatever reason) should rethink about joining this event going forward if there is doubt that they can deliver.
Dec 28, 2022 11:07 AM

Jul 2016
Soooo did I actually do it? I sent off my recommendation before the cut off time it said in the dm. But I didn’t get a recommendation of my own or a reply, which it said would happen if my recommendation wasn’t good enough.
Penguins are funny
Dec 28, 2022 11:10 AM
Jun 2021
Well that’s probably because the elves haven’t finished making the backup gifts as 250+ naughty Santa’s didn’t send in their gifts soo ur gonna get ur recommendations pretty late. Dw I haven’t gotten mine either, none of us have.
Dec 28, 2022 1:30 PM

Apr 2021
Pljeskavica said:
Tbh, kinda understandable that 250+ people didn't do their Santa jobs. I was paired with people who don't share any similarites in taste with me. It was pretty hard searching for titles they would MAYBE like, but it wouldn't be surprising to me if they won't like my recommendations at all. Well, at least they'll get their gifts from me and I hope I'll get my new pretty badge soon. 

They will at least be happy because they received recommendations and hopefully acknowledge that effort you put into making them
Dec 28, 2022 2:28 PM

Jun 2014
BlakexEkalb said:
@xxKumorixx @hancore @ladeedon

Thanks for offering to help! For anyone that wants to help with gift making, follow the steps below:

1. Join the MAL Discord

2. Verify your account (may not work if you have no anime on list/aren't very active)

3. React and get Santa role in Sever-Updates

4. Ask to help in the Elf-Help-Desk

I had no idea I could help out the poor elves, thanks for sharing!

Dec 28, 2022 2:58 PM

Mar 2013
Now with the new voluntary Santas, are we going to get the anime and manga gifts before next year?
I know your PTW list is bigger than your completed list.
Dec 28, 2022 4:05 PM

Feb 2018
Sakku-san said:
Ranacchi said:

Interesting... I want to know if my Santa was naughty and would like to thank the elf who made my gift.

Thanks in advance to all the elves for making so many gifts for us.

After the gift unwrapping, there will be a reveal, where you will see who exactly has written your gift, so you will definitely be able to thank them :)
Dec 28, 2022 4:47 PM

May 2021
How much longer for gifts? :3
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Dec 28, 2022 5:41 PM

Apr 2020
its a shame since I was looking forward to it, thank you elves for doing extras to help make it possible though
Dec 28, 2022 10:44 PM
Jan 2021
unfortunately i might have been included in the 250 people that didn't submit since i was travelling & inbox notifs don't show up on mobile. also the person i got might've been a troll account because they had a bunch of animes that they were "watching" but all scored at 10 stars and no episodes recorded? i included ONE anime that was in their watching but recommended 3 in total but apparently i cant even do that even if they have 0 episodes scored. i was also mad because in the page it doesn't say you need to have watched an anime to gift it to someone but i got the inbox message saying i couldn't include this anime i was currently watching because i haven't completed it yet. i am a bit upset that there was some omitted info with this gift exchange.
Dec 28, 2022 11:05 PM

Jan 2022
BlakexEkalb said:
@xxKumorixx @hancore @ladeedon

Thanks for offering to help! For anyone that wants to help with gift making, follow the steps below:

1. Join the MAL Discord

2. Verify your account (may not work if you have no anime on list/aren't very active)

3. React and get Santa role in Sever-Updates

4. Ask to help in the Elf-Help-Desk
Nice! I will contact them soon to help, thanks a lot <3
Dec 28, 2022 11:36 PM
May 2022
I feel it's not even a Christmas event anymore, it's more like a new year's eve event.
Dec 28, 2022 11:58 PM

Jan 2021
we are gonna get our gifts on January, no doubt

I hope no one I know irl sees my secret account~

Anyways, do I look cute in this outfit?~

Dec 29, 2022 4:55 AM
Jun 2021
It would be nice if we got a approx date tho-
As I don’t use MAL much so I could just open it as that day.
But it’s understandable as there seems to be a lot of naughty santas.

Has this happened every other year? This is my first time joining soo-
Dec 29, 2022 5:32 AM
Captain

Jun 2014
phantomiizer said:
unfortunately i might have been included in the 250 people that didn't submit since i was travelling & inbox notifs don't show up on mobile. also the person i got might've been a troll account because they had a bunch of animes that they were "watching" but all scored at 10 stars and no episodes recorded? i included ONE anime that was in their watching but recommended 3 in total but apparently i cant even do that even if they have 0 episodes scored. i was also mad because in the page it doesn't say you need to have watched an anime to gift it to someone but i got the inbox message saying i couldn't include this anime i was currently watching because i haven't completed it yet. i am a bit upset that there was some omitted info with this gift exchange.

True... I don't see where is that explained. Maybe they explained it last year?

I didn't have your problem 'cause I had many options to gift. At least you really tried to send your gift.
Dec 29, 2022 5:32 AM

May 2020
rinkika__ said:
It would be nice if we got a approx date tho-
As I don’t use MAL much so I could just open it as that day.
But it’s understandable as there seems to be a lot of naughty santas.

Has this happened every other year? This is my first time joining soo-

Nope. I've been in the last two events and its usually on time. I'm sure there have been naughty santas but a delay on this scale is definitely something I personally never experienced. 250+ is a very large number, so maybe there's a lot more to it than just some people being lazy.
Dec 29, 2022 6:38 AM

Apr 2015
I hope the gift I made on time gets delivered without issues (after some corrections being made due to not understanding some stuff that wasn't explained imo) and everyone gets their present too. 
Even though it's not Christmas anymore... in Spain there's a tradition on January 6th where we open more presents from "Los Reyes Magos" instead of from Santa, we could think it like that tee-hee ! 
hi i'm too lazy to have a signature rn hehe ! check my profile <3
Dec 29, 2022 8:26 AM

Apr 2018
krmnnn said:
I hope the gift I made on time gets delivered without issues (after some corrections being made due to not understanding some stuff that wasn't explained imo) and everyone gets their present too. 
Even though it's not Christmas anymore... in Spain there's a tradition on January 6th where we open more presents from "Los Reyes Magos" instead of from Santa, we could think it like that tee-hee ! 

Hey, that's a neat idea! Let's go with that; I'm sure the gifts will be ready by then.
Dec 29, 2022 8:53 AM
May 2019
-Flaky- said:
I wanna do this too but the rules are so hard for me to understand, I need it explained in toddler terms
That's usually my issue also.  This isn't a high level Asperger level friendly discussion board.
sbyrstall2Dec 29, 2022 11:53 AM
Which one do you want? An Addiction or A Good Life?
A) Addiction - a progressive narrowing of the things that bring you pleasure.
B) A Good Life - a progressive expansion of the things that bring you pleasure and includes pleasure through motivation and hard work.
Dec 29, 2022 11:21 AM

Nov 2013
sbyrstall2 said:
-Flaky- said:
I wanna do this too but the rules are so hard for me to understand, I need it explained in toddler terms
That's usually my issue also.  This isn't an high level asperger level friendly discussion board.

did you ask for help specifically? otherwise your feedback isn't really actionable. nobody can know you are experiencing difficulties unless you make the relevant people aware and ask for help. thousands of people signed up for this and it's driven by volunteers
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 29, 2022 11:45 AM

Sep 2020
Still no gift... Is the "Present Opening'' section's date updated ? I know it said that gifts are going to be late because there's silly people that didn't sent their gifts, but i just want to be sure (i don't want to apply pression rlly, i just want to know if everything's alright)
Dec 29, 2022 11:54 AM
May 2019
Sad said:
sbyrstall2 said:
That's usually my issue also.  This isn't an high level asperger level friendly discussion board.

did you ask for help specifically? otherwise your feedback isn't really actionable. nobody can know you are experiencing difficulties unless you make the relevant people aware and ask for help. thousands of people signed up for this and it's driven by volunteers
I didn't do this just because I found it's just to difficult and time consuming to ask all the questions.  Considering how slow responses are it's just as well just watch.
Which one do you want? An Addiction or A Good Life?
A) Addiction - a progressive narrowing of the things that bring you pleasure.
B) A Good Life - a progressive expansion of the things that bring you pleasure and includes pleasure through motivation and hard work.
Dec 29, 2022 1:10 PM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
The thread has been cleaned. Please refrain from insulting each others.

Dec 29, 2022 2:52 PM

Apr 2017
I was wondering why no gift arrived. Now I guess I was one of the people who's santa was naughty :(
Also I am a bit sorry for the elves who have to now come up with a gift so quickly, because my specifications maaaaay have been a bit specific.
Thank you so much for your efforts volunteers!
Dec 29, 2022 5:48 PM

Jan 2021
krmnnn said:

Also the original Christmas is yet to come.
In earlier times the Julian calendar was followed which is about 13 days away from the Gregorian calendar.
Julian December 25 falls on January 7 on the Gregorian calendar.
So we can still call them Christmas gifts :)
🎃 Main Candies:
🎃 Bonus Candies:
Dec 29, 2022 8:26 PM

Jan 2021
its already february and still no gifts wtf

Dec 30, 2022 2:31 AM

Jul 2015
I think the staff is going to reveal the recipients and gifts at the same time.
Dec 30, 2022 2:40 AM

Apr 2020
I have some suggestions regarding the Secret Santa. I don't know if this already occurs, but naughty Santas shouldn't receive the badge. A further punishment is that they are placed in a naughty list that forbids them from participating on the next Secret Santa. They can rejoin after one year. This would help the elves by alleviating the workload due to people who aren't committed to the event. If it was due to extreme circumstances, they will just need to be a bit patient. Nothing too drastic.

A drastic suggestion would be to rename the event. Secret Santa puts pressure on the elves by giving an imaginary deadline: December 25. By renaming the event to something like End of the Year Exchange, the people running the event gain until the 31st to finish things in a time when everyone is really busy. It would be amusing if the event was renamed to End of the Year Exchange (EYE) and MAL gave us badges of a moving eye. Then designers would try to make the eyes of their favorite characters. Participating every year would mean you would have a collection of moving eyes on the corner of your MAL page. Since it would creep some people, then you could choose between the traditional cute badge or the eye.

The volunteer elf position should be more advertised. Anime/manga people usually love to recommend stuff to other people. I bet MAL would have more volunteers for these yearly events if the staff took a look at the quantity of stuff the participants have read/watched. Then send an invitation to people whom they think have seen a reasonable quantity if they would like to volunteer for the event of that particular year.
Dec 30, 2022 4:47 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
rti9 said:
I have some suggestions regarding the Secret Santa. I don't know if this already occurs, but naughty Santas shouldn't receive the badge. A further punishment is that they are placed in a naughty list that forbids them from participating on the next Secret Santa. They can rejoin after one year. This would help the elves by alleviating the workload due to people who aren't committed to the event. If it was due to extreme circumstances, they will just need to be a bit patient. Nothing too drastic.

A drastic suggestion would be to rename the event. Secret Santa puts pressure on the elves by giving an imaginary deadline: December 25. By renaming the event to something like End of the Year Exchange, the people running the event gain until the 31st to finish things in a time when everyone is really busy. It would be amusing if the event was renamed to End of the Year Exchange (EYE) and MAL gave us badges of a moving eye. Then designers would try to make the eyes of their favorite characters. Participating every year would mean you would have a collection of moving eyes on the corner of your MAL page. Since it would creep some people, then you could choose between the traditional cute badge or the eye.

The volunteer elf position should be more advertised. Anime/manga people usually love to recommend stuff to other people. I bet MAL would have more volunteers for these yearly events if the staff took a look at the quantity of stuff the participants have read/watched. Then send an invitation to people whom they think have seen a reasonable quantity if they would like to volunteer for the event of that particular year.

I think that's a bit too extreme, aside from not receiving the badges. I've been really busy myself the past period otherwise I would've volunteered to help out.
My alternative to having a blacklist is making the option to become santa a little bit more visible on the main page.
Say, underneath the message about late gifts, a message of "hey would you like to help us create replacement gifts? join here!". I think it would be more productive to help. Not only would you have an idea of how long it'll be (because you'll see the workload) but you can also help get your gift faster.
Dec 30, 2022 4:58 AM

Jul 2019
i aint never had a new years gift but i will take it this year around lol.

this event took an L huh. shouldn't have attached the badge award like that really. brings a lot of insincere characters.
Dec 30, 2022 5:11 AM

Jul 2007
Ranacchi said:
rti9 said:

I think that's a bit too extreme, aside from not receiving the badges. I've been really busy myself the past period otherwise I would've volunteered to help out.
My alternative to having a blacklist is making the option to become santa a little bit more visible on the main page.
Say, underneath the message about late gifts, a message of "hey would you like to help us create replacement gifts? join here!". I think it would be more productive to help. Not only would you have an idea of how long it'll be (because you'll see the workload) but you can also help get your gift faster.

I like this. I want to add that including some sort of incentive is always the better option. An idea is to give badges to volunteer elves. I would also suggest inviting the same volunteers back to participate in future events. I know that for me at least, when I volunteer for one event, I'm more likely to volunteer for other events.
Dec 30, 2022 8:19 AM

Jan 2021
guys its already secret santa 2023 and i still havent gotten my gifts from 2022

Dec 30, 2022 1:18 PM

Jun 2009
BlakexEkalb said:
Things are getting wrapped up soon!
That's good news! 
Dec 30, 2022 3:44 PM

May 2021
Kyline said:

Bruh chill out?
As an elf that helped out last year, it takes hours, days to work it all out and with the extra load of as they said 250 ppl not doing what they're supposed to do, of course it's going to take some days to a week longer....

Pls don't write animeS or mangaS >.< // + <50 man(g/hw/hu)a not in MAL. // Join my >manga club< here!

Dec 30, 2022 9:11 PM

Sep 2007
weirdo90 said:

An idea is to give badges to volunteer elves.
That really just shifts the 250+ naughty santas into MIA volunteer elves....maybe it'll lower the number but I can picture there will still be people who just want the badge-act like they'll volunteer and then disappear when it counts.

When I was involved in hosting secret santa (on different site way back when) we did actually keep track of a "blacklist" of people who weren't allowed to participate in future secret santas (unless certain conditions were met to 'redeem themselves') but it may or may not be viable/worth it to keep track of 250+ "blacklisted" users here...
IkanoDec 30, 2022 9:15 PM
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Dec 30, 2022 10:42 PM

Apr 2020
When I was involved in hosting secret santa (on different site way back when) we did actually keep track of a "blacklist" of people who weren't allowed to participate in future secret santas (unless certain conditions were met to 'redeem themselves') but it may or may not be viable/worth it to keep track of 250+ "blacklisted" users here...

I have also done volunteer work in a much smaller anime website and it was an incredibly thankless tedious endeavor. Sometimes I thought I'd rather be at school (I was a teenager at the time) than moderating those people. I would soon quit.

That really just shifts the 250+ naughty santas into MIA volunteer elves....

This gives me an idea. What if instead the organizers assigned people who have watched a lot of anime or read a lot of manga more than one recipient in emergency cases? Instead of having the elves compose more gifts, they reassign the people without Santas to people who are already participating and are willing to write a few more gifts. During the sign up, add one more line. Something like "in case of emergency, would you be willing to write one or more gifts? (Yes or no)" Just don't overwhelm a handful with too many requests and most likely everyone would be fine with that.
Dec 30, 2022 11:47 PM
Dec 2020
Blacklisting sounds like a good idea to me - still allowing them to join elf exchanges, of course. Maybe first time offenders get only a year of blacklisting, and may join normally the year after?
Dec 31, 2022 12:29 AM

Jul 2007
Ikano said:
weirdo90 said:

An idea is to give badges to volunteer elves.
That really just shifts the 250+ naughty santas into MIA volunteer elves....maybe it'll lower the number but I can picture there will still be people who just want the badge-act like they'll volunteer and then disappear when it counts.

I'm not sure I understand your first paragraph. What do you mean by mia volunteer elves? Why would the volunteer elves be mia? I was thinking along the lines of giving badges to those who have volunteered in some capacity only after the event has ended. Also keeping in mind that some who volunteer may not have as much time to help due to work/personal lives getting in the way, while others have more available time to help.

I feel that blacklisting should only be for repeat offenders. I imagine some folks who couldn't fulfill their roles this year have various legitimate reasons for why they couldn't.
Dec 31, 2022 3:56 AM

Mar 2011
I hope I'm not on that "Naughty List" after I needed a second Try. That's the keyword, I tried my best and this was the first time I signed up for that kind of Event and I really don't know if what I wrote actually counts as 4 (whole) sentences. As some people already mentioned, there's always the chance of unexpected issues (A Casualty in the Family, Health Problems, limited Access, the Hardware breaks down etc.)

I wondered why nobody had gotten their stuff yet. Guess we'll all have to wait until after New Year's Eve, s**t happens. Have Patience and try to understand the Elves' Situation. Happy New Year to y'all.

P. S.: THX to my Elf or Santa. ♥ Will be going to take a look on the Recommendation as soon as it gets available around here.
HapposamaJan 2, 2023 3:52 AM
Dec 31, 2022 5:59 AM

Jan 2021
I just read this forum after realizing that it's new year's eve and I haven't gotten my present yet... I hope I'm not on the naughty santa's list because I changed my username, but I did message/notify my elf that I changed my username.

It's new year's eve and I don't think you should be doing this tonight. I'm patiently waiting for my gift so let's rest yourselves for tonight :) You elves also need to celebrate the new year right? Happy new year and thanks for your hard work ♡

Dec 31, 2022 8:08 AM

May 2020
Almost new years and still didn't get my gift, what the heck! I sent mine like a month ago
Dec 31, 2022 9:08 AM

Jan 2021
To me, blacklisting sounds a bit harsh but I think it's the only way for the next year since the number of participants is growing each year and with that, the number of naughty santas as well.
The problem is, many of them might have a legitimate reason so it's still a difficult decision
ChocolateVC said:
Blacklisting sounds like a good idea to me - still allowing them to join elf exchanges, of course. Maybe first time offenders get only a year of blacklisting, and may join normally the year after?
This sounds like the best way tbh

And maybe try advertising the role as an elf more? I read many posts from people, who were willing to help but didn't notice how to volunteer as one (especially later on while seeking for additional help)

Regardless of that, thank you all for your work and for making all of this possible. Take your time and a happy new year!
Dec 31, 2022 2:40 PM

Jul 2021
Kyline said:
Please be patient I'm sure the elves are working hard writing backup gifts
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 )

Kineta - May 23

87 by BatoKusanagi »»
Yesterday, 12:59 PM

» Planned 3hr Maintenance, Wednesday May 29 @ 1am-4am PT

Kineta - May 26

0 by Kineta »»
May 26, 3:57 PM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

243 by Baldo_zz »»
May 25, 2:30 AM

» List Title Toggle: Main Title, English, and more ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Nov 10, 2021

109 by RED-clover12 »»
May 17, 5:06 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by nothing_ness »»
May 5, 8:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.