Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 29, 2013 6:47 AM

Dec 2011
Over the sort of distance in question the train could well have been the faster way of getting there.

Although of course the girls don't care about that.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 29, 2013 9:11 AM

Apr 2010
Another nice episode showing how summer vacations can be either boring or fun for kids depending on wether there are other kids around.
I think we all experienced a summer like that in our childhood when we meet some other kid and we have to part with them at some point, it was a very understandable episode.
And i understand Renge's sadness.

The big sister from Tokyo part was so funny especially when they started talking about the airplane part.
Oct 29, 2013 9:53 AM

May 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
Over the sort of distance in question the train could well have been the faster way of getting there.

Maybe she was overseas before going to live in the village. The other possibility is that her family is filthy rich (her house is of recent built, unlike the other houses we have seen so far) and they have access to a private jet. Last but not least, maybe she is the daughter of a Yakuza so going by plane is the best means of going unnoticed.
Oct 29, 2013 10:25 AM

Feb 2012
Wow this episode was really good!!!!
Oct 29, 2013 11:44 AM

Aug 2010
ren-chon broke my heart, must be tough not having classmates your age to become friends with..
Oct 29, 2013 12:43 PM

Oct 2011
My feels for Renge-chan T____T
Oct 29, 2013 12:52 PM

Jul 2013
Really liked this episode (:

Also I laughed really hard at this part

http://imageshack.us/a/img46/4810/4ffc.png
ᵖᵉʷ ᵖᵉʷ 🔫
Oct 29, 2013 1:15 PM

Aug 2010
Saw the letter coming from a mile away, but I still felt bad for Ren-chon during the long shot focused on her face. She is my least favorite character out of the bunch, but I still managed to enjoy this episode, not every show can achieve that, nice directing there. 4/5.

The only downside is that best time of the week is now over.
Oct 29, 2013 1:17 PM

Dec 2011
How in the world is Ren-chon your least favourite character?

Doesn't that break some sort of fundamental law of the universe or something?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 29, 2013 2:42 PM

Oct 2011
okanagan said:
xchee said:
As early as now, I'm demanding a season 2 <3

Me too. You may be getting your wish. According to all of these webpages,
Non Non Biyori is going to be 21 episodes long:
http://jin115.com/archives/51976468.html
http://konamikan.blomaga.jp/articles/13395.html
http://engawa.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/anime3/1361881276/487
http://yaraon-proxy2.yarareyaku.net/blog-entry-18909.html
http://blog.livedoor.jp/shachiani/archives/33776685.html
21 episodes long... now this is something worrisome.
This series is cute, funny and somehow relaxing (at least part of it are) but it's hard to imagine it going for so long without some kind of plot.
I'm not sure if series of gags might work well enough for it to remain interesting - ok there were some "cute girls doing cute things" series that did something similar like K-On! or Azumanga Daioh but in their case there was always some progression. Here I'm not sure.
Oct 29, 2013 2:52 PM

Jul 2009
oh god... so much cute... can't even....
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Oct 29, 2013 4:21 PM

May 2012
00:47 dat soundtrack

03:17 dat face

05:05 nano.RIPE <3

06:37 LOOOL

10:13 Kona!

11:04 hima da ne

14:29 kameradamashi

16:06 LOOOOOL

17:20 STOMP!

19:39 so she did cry

Too short X(
7/10
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Oct 29, 2013 5:23 PM
Jul 2013
Dalek-baka said:
okanagan said:
xchee said:
As early as now, I'm demanding a season 2 <3

Me too. You may be getting your wish. According to all of these webpages,
Non Non Biyori is going to be 21 episodes long:
http://jin115.com/archives/51976468.html
http://konamikan.blomaga.jp/articles/13395.html
http://engawa.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/anime3/1361881276/487
http://yaraon-proxy2.yarareyaku.net/blog-entry-18909.html
http://blog.livedoor.jp/shachiani/archives/33776685.html
This series is cute, funny and somehow relaxing (at least part of it are) but it's hard to imagine it going for so long without some kind of plot.
I'm not sure if series of gags might work well enough for it to remain interesting - ok there were some "cute girls doing cute things" series that did something similar like K-On! or Azumanga Daioh but in their case there was always some progression. Here I'm not sure.

Plot? Blasphemy.
Oct 29, 2013 5:24 PM

Jul 2013
Renge is too adorable :3 This is just a charming show that is great without any added excitement or anything out of the ordinary happening.
Oct 29, 2013 6:30 PM

Oct 2012
Renge is so cute and she made a friend her own age
Oct 29, 2013 6:52 PM

Oct 2012
Keeping up the interest level for 21 episodes might not be easy, but perhaps it
is possible.

The number one rated anime series in TV in Japan is "Sazae-san" (サザエさん).
It has been airing continuously since 1969. Everybody watches it at 6:30 pm
on Sunday. It gets a 39% audience share. There have been 2250 episodes
so far. Apparently, there has been very little plot progression. But they have
updated the style of the show every few years to match the times.

I have seen the manga in Japanese. I have never seen a subbed version of
the anime. Here is the episode from two weeks ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g8lR3BNp58
Oct 29, 2013 7:25 PM

Nov 2012
1st semester ends and summer vacation begins.

Hikage reminds me of Honoka from Love Live! except with darkish brownish hair.(Lol,I thought about this before Renge's friend Honoka appeared what are the odds)

Hikage bragging about the city,only to be out done by Hotaru and her airplane,haha.

Renge makes a new friend,Honoka.And gives her a tour around and take some photography too.Renge's sounds effects were cute :3.

Knew once Honoka appeared that she'd end up leaving ;.;.

Knew Renge was going to start crying too.Dat like 30 seconds zoom in on her face was killing me...
"Omg she's going to cry...Omg she's going to cry...Ohh she's not crying...ohh wait she's crying now...*sniffle* *sniffle*...Ohh I'm crying ;.;"

Good thing that Honoka is going to return next summer and that they kept in touch too.Cute photograph btw.

Beach episode next huh.Time to rewatch this episode.
YorusighOct 29, 2013 7:29 PM
Oct 29, 2013 8:36 PM

Apr 2010
That episode was sweet. You can tell Renge is the type who really cherishes her friends. I like people like that. I can see her and Honoka being close for a long time.

Oct 30, 2013 12:35 AM

Sep 2012
Dalek-baka said:
21 episodes may have been misformation and at the moment I am going for just 1 cour.

I don't know what kind of "plot" you mean. If plot means a structure of story then isn't the story about Renchon meeting a friend of her age has plot already? Slice-of-life is like this: short episodes and vignettes that combine to form a bigger picture. If manga can go on for 6 and 7 volumes like this, why can't an anime do the same? Why the obsession with plot??
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 30, 2013 2:26 AM

Oct 2011
symbv said:
21 episodes may have been misformation and at the moment I am going for just 1 cour.

I don't know what kind of "plot" you mean. If plot means a structure of story then isn't the story about Renchon meeting a friend of her age has plot already? Slice-of-life is like this: short episodes and vignettes that combine to form a bigger picture. If manga can go on for 6 and 7 volumes like this, why can't an anime do the same? Why the obsession with plot??
Because plots are cool.
You've asked and gave an answer - I don't mind if it's just series of short gags/stories but for me great SoL stories are ones where they go towards some specific end: Azumanga with graduation and way girls are becoming friends, Kamichu has Yurie learning of her new job/romance thing, YKK and Alpha discovering the world while Aria has something like this for everyone (I could go on here). I don't feel anything like this in NNB (not that it's on the same level as any of mentioned).
So my concern was that with 21 episodes like we had it might turn from relaxing to boring, gags might be overused. With 12 it should be ok.
Oct 30, 2013 3:17 AM

Dec 2011
There's more than enough in this series for 21 episodes if they took it to that length.

If anything, series with "plots" are the ones that are restricted - if a series has a point at which it definitely has an ending that it is working towards, then that is the ending of the series. Of course, some series try to keep going anyway, but this process inevitably leads to people growing to hate it because it didn't end in the right place.

A series like this which doesn't have to worry about that can, in theory, go on forever. And one with a tone like this wouldn't put off people after a while unless the writer ran out of things to do with it. It might get boring for people who try to marathon it, but a series such as this one isn't made to be marathoned anyway. It's there to be watched once a week or read once a month when you want to relax. And the desire to relax is one that will never end.

Of course, this series can't actually go on forever - unlike some series (from Sazae-san to Yuru Yuri), time actually seems to be progressing. And as time goes on, the characters will grow older and eventually the series will have to end as a result. But there's plenty of time to cover yet. Plus of course there's the fact that the manga comes out monthly whereas the anime is coming out weekly, and we're covering more than one manga chapter per episode, so sooner or later it would catch up. This is probably the biggest limiting factor. But there's easily enough material for 21 episodes if they wanted to make it.
Oct 30, 2013 8:07 AM
Dec 2008
kuuderes_shadow said:
And as time goes on, the characters will grow older and eventually the series will have to end as a result.

Funny enough, IIRC, the characters in Sazae-san never actually grow up, though I do realize that this is just one case that doesn't speak for all of SOL.
Oct 30, 2013 8:35 AM

Dec 2011
AruSakayama said:
kuuderes_shadow said:
And as time goes on, the characters will grow older and eventually the series will have to end as a result.

Funny enough, IIRC, the characters in Sazae-san never actually grow up, though I do realize that this is just one case that doesn't speak for all of SOL.

Hence why I used that as an example of a series where time doesn't seem to progress. All the characters are trapped at the same age forever. Stuff like The Simpsons does it as well.
Oct 30, 2013 9:14 AM

Apr 2012
Damn you anime for getting me upset! Beautiful scene though when Renge hears her new friend has left.
Oct 30, 2013 2:55 PM

May 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
How in the world is Ren-chon your least favourite character?

Doesn't that break some sort of fundamental law of the universe or something?

People like what they like. I don't think she's the best character of the show like so many others here do...

I actually find Hotarun, Natsumi and Komari to be better than her personally.
Oct 30, 2013 3:04 PM

Dec 2011
I was joking. It's not as though the other characters are unlikeable or anything, and I personally like all the four main characters, although Ren-chon is my favourite by some distance.
Oct 30, 2013 8:40 PM
Jul 2010
Brilliant episode... the water wheel scene was magic.
Oct 30, 2013 11:13 PM

Nov 2011
That was such an awwww episode.

It was so cute and great to watch, it really went way to fast and it just was so sad and cute when she cried omg xD

Beach episode next yay :D
Oct 30, 2013 11:58 PM

Sep 2012
Dalek-baka said:
Because plots are cool.
On the other hand, I often find plots to be stale and restrictive. If we can allow shows from Sazae-san to Simpsons to go without plot, I don't see why we need a SoL show like Non Non Biyori to have "plot" (your definition as I think any story has plot even if it is a short story).

Dalek-baka said:
but for me great SoL stories are ones where they go towards some specific end: Azumanga with graduation and way girls are becoming friends, Kamichu has Yurie learning of her new job/romance thing, YKK and Alpha discovering the world while Aria has something like this for everyone (I could go on here). I don't feel anything like this in NNB (not that it's on the same level as any of mentioned).
So my concern was that with 21 episodes like we had it might turn from relaxing to boring, gags might be overused. With 12 it should be ok.
That is YOUR preference. Many people think Sazae-san to be great but its time line never moves. To say that plot (again YOUR definition) is a necessary condition for a great SoL show is pretty much putting cart before horses, neglecting what is truly important in favor of something that is not the main essence of what SoL appeal lies.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 31, 2013 2:02 AM

Oct 2012
Solacewaves said:
The water wheel scene was magic.

Agreed. Click here to see a still image of it:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/kaigai_no/imgs/d/3/d3adcb00.jpg

You can see the water wheel scene in Volume 2, Chapter 17 of the manga.

A huge part of the job of the director is to make decisions about where to
spend the money and where to save it. In this case, the water wheel created
a feeling of ... well, you describe it in your own words.

Mixing 3DCG with the 2D stuff often doesn't match too well. Doing it properly
takes a lot of work. So it costs money. That might be a wise investment or it
can be money wasted. If you look very carefully at that scene, it looks just like
a water wheel. Of course, they made the smart decision not to try to show the
water on it. At the same time, the water surface on the creek was depicted
perfectly.

As this series progresses, I am gaining more and more respect for the director,
Shinya Kawamo (川面真也). 真也 = Shinya. 川面 = Kawamo. He has worked
on lots of anime series. But this is only the second series that Kawamo has
directed. He directed Kokoro Connect (ココロコネクト) in 2012.

Here is a list in Japanese of all of the work that Kawamo has done:
http://www7.atwiki.jp/anime_wiki/pages/597.html

I guess that I could joke that Kawamo saved a lot of money with that long,
long still scene of Renge-chon. Here is that still image:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/kaigai_no/imgs/1/5/1551e218-s.jpg
okanaganOct 31, 2013 2:39 AM
Oct 31, 2013 2:27 AM

Aug 2013
VanishingKira said:

Knew Renge was going to start crying too.Dat like 30 seconds zoom in on her face was killing me...
"Omg she's going to cry...Omg she's going to cry...Ohh she's not crying...ohh wait she's crying now...*sniffle* *sniffle*...Ohh I'm crying ;.;

Was I the only one who thought "nooo don't cry Ren-chon...don't cry don't cry...oh no she cried!"?
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 31, 2013 7:47 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

I said, if there is Renge there is also the joy! The plot makes me think, children have a higher sensitivity than we mature and often, Christians are more of us adults. The narration was very nice and fun at times, the BGM have been very helpful to enter the atmosphere especially when the tears of Ren-chon ...! * Tears *
Drawings, animations and scenery pleasant, also the older sister of Renge I like her! XD
Op & ED very beautiful!
Vote up this time!
Oct 31, 2013 10:05 AM

May 2013
dis ep is cute, love that little girl, she seems so lonely
best ep so far
5/5
Oct 31, 2013 2:46 PM
Aug 2011
Perfect. That crying scene was awesome.
Nov 1, 2013 2:17 AM
Apr 2012
Had me smiling through the whole episode up until that certain part.
Ren-chon slowly creeping on my favorites list...
Nov 1, 2013 1:32 PM
Feb 2012
D'awww, such a cute episode.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Nov 1, 2013 3:47 PM

Jun 2012
So nice =)

Nov 1, 2013 4:53 PM

Jun 2011
WOW THAT WAS GREAT! And so, a bond is formed.

I really like the greens used, rarely seen that here in the city! We need more greens! Environmental preservation!

That was a really fantastic episode! <3
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 1, 2013 6:16 PM
Jul 2013
1 minutes watching Renge's face and then ...Boom! Start mourn, that scene was so moe. First time Renge shows more than a straight face. I also liked that you have devoted an episode to her.

Renge is so cute.
Nov 2, 2013 8:03 AM

Oct 2009
Ren-chon is so adorable :3! When she teared up :S!! Ahh my soul has been cleansed~
Nov 2, 2013 10:51 AM

Oct 2013
Was I the only one who thought "nooo don't cry Ren-chon...don't cry don't cry...oh no she cried!"?

I felt the same way. If I were standing there I would knock on grand-ma's door and very politely ask if Ren-chon could leave her phone # (if she knows it) for Honoka.

I laughed when Renge wants to draw a picture in reply to Honoka's letter: "I need crayons!"
Nov 2, 2013 11:21 AM

Dec 2011
redtailrav said:
I laughed when Renge wants to draw a picture in reply to Honoka's letter: "I need crayons!"

She got sent a photograph and doesn't have a camera or anything like that, so drawing a picture is the best she can do.

I wonder what she drew. Perhaps the two of them together? That would be sweet.
Nov 2, 2013 11:24 AM

Oct 2012
RENGE-CHAN IS TOO ADORABLE <3

And this OST is too amazing. I love it :)

Nov 3, 2013 4:39 AM

May 2010
Someone help, this anime is planning to do something with me; like enchant me with its amazing art and "slice-of life'ness"

Or something

"High tech" xD Haha, Hika-nee acting like a city girl. Renge-chan taking photos, "I need more lighting" so cute! Renge-chan crying, let me give you a hug... At least she got a letter from her Honoka.

I hope this anime sells 100000+ sales, it deserves that much coz I am sinking into it's beauty and I don't know the way out. I don't want to miss even a single second of it, I am sticked to the seat like glue, it's that much addicting
Nov 3, 2013 6:36 AM

Oct 2012
TragicRomance said:
I hope this anime sells 100000+ sales, it deserves that much . . .

Yes, let's hope. Quite a number of other people around here are much more
competent when talking about Blu-ray/DVD sales. But I checked on Amazon
Stalker to get some idea of what kind of Blu-ray/DVD sales are expected.
These numbers below are the sum of Blu-rays and DVDs. These are just a few
examples that I selected of current anime series and not a complete list:

18117 units -- Free! Volume 3
2447 units -- Kill la Kill Volume 1
1424 units -- Non Non Biyori Volume 1
1262 units -- Freezing Vibration Volume 1
1186 units -- Yowamushi Pedal Volume 1
739 units -- Yusabu Volume 1
549 units -- Gingitsune Volume 1
538 units -- Outbreak Company Volume 1
491 units -- Galilei Donna Volume 1
421 units -- My Mental Choices Volume 1
382 units -- Coppelion Volume 1

If anybody is interested, there are fairly clear instructions in English about how
to use Amazon Stalker here, but you also need to know at least some Japanese
in order to be to use the Amazon Stalker website:
http://bakalaureate.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/guest-post-anime-and-sales-analysis-by-yuyucow/

In summary, Non Non Biyori is doing respectably well.
Nov 3, 2013 6:40 AM
Jul 2013
okanagan said:
TragicRomance said:
I hope this anime sells 100000+ sales, it deserves that much . . .

Yes, let's hope. Quite a number of other people around here are much more
competent when talking about Blu-ray/DVD sales. But I checked on Amazon
Stalker to get some idea of what kind of Blu-ray/DVD sales are expected.
These numbers below are the sum of Blu-rays and DVDs. These are just a few
examples that I selected of current anime series and not a complete list:

18117 units -- Free! Volume 3
2447 units -- Kill la Kill Volume 1
1424 units -- Non Non Biyori Volume 1
1262 units -- Freezing Vibration Volume 1
1186 units -- Yowamushi Pedal Volume 1
739 units -- Yusabu Volume 1
549 units -- Gingitsune Volume 1
538 units -- Outbreak Company Volume 1
491 units -- Galilei Donna Volume 1
421 units -- My Mental Choices Volume 1
382 units -- Coppelion Volume 1

If anybody is interested, there are fairly clear instructions in English about how
to use Amazon Stalker here, but you also need to know at least some Japanese
in order to be to use the Amazon Stalker website:
http://bakalaureate.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/guest-post-anime-and-sales-analysis-by-yuyucow/

In summary, Non Non Biyori is doing respectably well.

Well, last I check, Stalker had Non Non Biyori estimated with 5k pre-orders. So the store-front sales of volume 1 should boost it pass dat 10k line.
Nov 3, 2013 6:54 AM

Oct 2012
Hi Xinception. Today is the first time that I attempted to use Amazon
Stalker. So I am not surprised to hear that I am not interpreting the numbers
correctly. Thanks. Anyways, that sounds great for Non Non Biyori.
Nov 3, 2013 8:21 AM

Oct 2008
5/5 episode - Ren-chon is cute! Though my fav is still Komari :3

That scene when she cried, i got a bit teary-eyed myself!

OkenokeNov 3, 2013 8:27 AM
Nov 3, 2013 8:32 AM

Dec 2011
okanagan said:
Hi Xinception. Today is the first time that I attempted to use Amazon
Stalker. So I am not surprised to hear that I am not interpreting the numbers
correctly. Thanks. Anyways, that sounds great for Non Non Biyori.

The figure you listed is the amount of points it has accumulated so far. The higher figure is the estimate of the eventual number of points, assuming the past week is repeated every week until release date.
Nov 3, 2013 6:50 PM

Aug 2012
Poor Renge, she was having so much fun with Honoka but atleast she's coming back.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2013

263 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
Aug 20, 7:05 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2013

160 by jilebi_james23 »»
Jun 18, 1:24 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2013

162 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 21, 3:59 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2013

262 by Lowsttt14 »»
Mar 30, 10:52 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2013

191 by Shikkakku »»
Jan 12, 2:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.