Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 5, 2009 4:51 PM

Jul 2008
Tensai-Kun said:
So, Riza's father's results from expirements r the tatoos on Riza's back? *just guessing here = kinda looks like Scar's hand*
The tattoo on Riza's back is the secret of Roy's flame alchemy. She asked him to burn it so that no one could ever learn to do it again and use it to kill the way Roy was forced to. If you (or someone else) are interested, you can see the amount of research that went into the tattoo.

BEGINNER
Nov 5, 2009 5:19 PM

Apr 2008
I thought it was very boring. I was tempted to just skip it.
Nov 5, 2009 7:14 PM

May 2007
I read the manga and I thought the episode served its purposes and was decent in itself.

Just saying...
Nov 5, 2009 9:43 PM

Jun 2009
vindemon64 said:
I read the manga and I thought the episode served its purposes and was decent in itself.

Just saying...

Yes I agree with you.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Nov 6, 2009 11:39 AM

Dec 2007
Suzune-chan said:
vindemon64 said:

Just saying...

Yes I agree with you.

I would have to agree with this as well.
Nov 6, 2009 2:31 PM

Jan 2008
I don't understand people if they drop this anime because of one episode. I mean there are dozens of manga adaptations out there who are really shitty. Until now this anime was very well done and I don't think that there are many manga adaptations who can beat FMA Brotherhood.

just my opinion
Nov 6, 2009 5:00 PM

Jun 2008
Wow...I kind of liked the episode...it was interesting...but I'd like to see more Edward action. :P I'm slowly making my way through the manga chapters now...
Note: I decided not to accept random friend requests. Most of the ones I accept will be people I know from other sites unless I get to know some people here. (=^_^=)
Nov 6, 2009 9:57 PM

Oct 2007
Kimblee sounds like a pedo old geezer
Nov 6, 2009 10:43 PM

Jul 2008
Zhao_Yun said:
I don't understand people if they drop this anime because of one episode. I mean there are dozens of manga adaptations out there who are really shitty. Until now this anime was very well done and I don't think that there are many manga adaptations who can beat FMA Brotherhood.

just my opinion

I second that.
Nov 7, 2009 1:30 AM

Apr 2009
dPsychc said:
Zhao_Yun said:

just my opinion

I second that.

I third that xP

Painaholic said:
Kimblee sounds like a pedo old geezer

Oh my God. He does D:
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Nov 7, 2009 4:07 AM

Jan 2009
Cenedess said:
dPsychc said:
Zhao_Yun said:
just my opinion

I second that.

I third that xP

I fourth that : o I JUST HAD TO!
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Nov 7, 2009 5:46 AM
Dec 2007
I really thought this episode would be annoying seeing all the Ishbal flashbacks we've had until now, but it was a great and much more interesting one than the previous Ishbal eps. Reading what other posters wrote, I'm also glad most of the cheese and drama has been cut off from this episode.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Nov 7, 2009 6:36 AM

Feb 2009
Jacut said:
I really thought this episode would be annoying seeing all the Ishbal flashbacks we've had until now, but it was a great and much more interesting one than the previous Ishbal eps. Reading what other posters wrote, I'm also glad most of the cheese and drama has been cut off from this episode.

Wow, you're dismissing significant character development as "cheese"?

Seriously, you people were complaining that there wasn't -enough- character development before.

Nov 7, 2009 8:38 AM

May 2008
They actually did the Roy/Riza flashback. Right now I couldn't be happier~

Sent with Mal Updater
Nov 7, 2009 10:27 PM

Feb 2009
Finally caught up, well being neither a follower of the previous FMA or the Manga, I enjoyed this episode. I want more Al and Armstrong!
Nov 8, 2009 9:00 AM

Feb 2009
You know I saw this episode again after some time to "cool off" and it really isn't that bad judged on its own merits. It still pales in comparison to the manga, but given how they were limited to one episode, they did okay . I still think they should have excised the jokes in favor of some additional character development, though.

Nov 8, 2009 10:24 AM
Jul 2008
Having read the manga and watched the episode, I found that, although a lot of things related to character development were omitted, the episode wasn't all that bad. On its own, it's a nice episode and does not hide any essential information for non-manga readers.
Nov 8, 2009 5:30 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah, things are missing, but I don't see it as such a major problem since it's not giving problems to the ones that are only watching the anime...

Also, there are some really strong scenes in Ishval's flashback. Maybe too many to put it in the anime.... That war has always given me chills. The social critique Arakawa gives is so intense and mature. I just love til death...

Btw, loved the commercial break eyecatches *-* sexy Risa omg!! <333

This episode really shows how deep and human FMA characters are.

Also: AlxMei is soooo cuteeeee!! *__*~
Nov 9, 2009 5:32 AM

Jul 2009
They could have just split this part of the story into 2 episodes.
Nov 9, 2009 8:40 AM

Sep 2008
Couldn't they have stretched this volume out over two episodes? Stuffing it all into one episode and cutting scenes = fail.

Decent episode. I smiled at Ed's reaction to Riza's saying that Winry must be really important to him and frowned when Al talked badly about Ed. (It was a joke but boo, Ed is shorter than Al for a reason. D: And I like Ed more. D: )
Nov 14, 2009 8:11 AM

Jan 2009
Damn !! They cut the greatest flashback of the whole series so far, Ishval's execution.

Many great scenes and dialogue cut like how Hawkeye said that she like guns because she wouln't fell kill someone, Kimblee killing Scar's brother or Grand killing another officer.

I'm utterly dissapointed for this episode, it doesn't have the epic feeling like the manga
Nov 14, 2009 11:58 AM

Jun 2009
4 out of 5
Nov 15, 2009 5:55 PM
Apr 2008
Disappointed at this episode, they cut of major background and development of characters during the Ishbal War. I mean they could at least made it two episodes.
FapalldayNov 15, 2009 6:04 PM
Nov 19, 2009 9:10 PM

Jan 2009
This ep was intense!
I don't get all the hate. I think they adapted the story of Ishbal very well by keeping the vital essence of the flashback.

Nov 25, 2009 6:13 AM
May 2008
Rather disappointing given how important the context was, but keeping it strictly to the necessities will help move the anime series along.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Nov 28, 2009 4:15 PM

Apr 2008
I found this to be a really good episode, even though certain parts were cut out, the episode served it's purpose, what's better than hearing Kimblee's words of wisdom??? xD
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Dec 17, 2009 3:49 PM

Jul 2008
so ishval war flashbacks, including mustang's master whose daughter has his research tattooed on her back, plus scar meets marcoh, not good for the doctor
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Dec 18, 2009 2:13 PM

May 2009
I'm so glad i haven't red manga.
so the "changes" don't piss me off, simp;y cause i don't know what was changed ^^
Marcoh (O.o)
Dec 19, 2009 12:01 AM

Aug 2008
Too f*cking condensed. One of my favorite, albeit depressing volumes was scrunched up badly. They better bring some of these forgotten things up during later episodes.

DKJ
May 20, 2010 6:07 AM

Sep 2009
An enjoyable episode, but I'm glad the flashbacks are over (at least for now).
Jul 9, 2010 6:09 PM

Aug 2009
I'm starting to think Fuhrer President as Hitler and the country as Germany during Hitler's reign. The Ishbalans are the Jews and Hitler/Bradley was trying to exterminate them. Just add in sci-fi stuffs like philosophers's stone and you get FMA:B, lol.

Anyways what the fuck was that inscription on the back of Hawkeye? Whoa was that the product Mustang's master was talking about? If so, does that mean Mustang will attain ultimate power if he gets his hand on that inscription? Whoa I can't wait.

Oh and who is this Kimbley guy? I've seen him countless of times throughtout the series but noone really gives information about him. He's like a guy shrouded by the mystery cloud.
Jul 10, 2010 11:21 AM
Sep 2009
I'd recommend reading Chapters 58-61 of the manga. This episode crams all of those chapters into 22 minutes, cutting a lot about the Ishvalan War out. Some of what was cut was just moved (Scar's flashbacks), but a lot of it simply wasn't animated at all.
Aug 17, 2010 2:22 PM

Dec 2008
5 out of 5: Loved it! (your vote)
Jan 27, 2011 9:02 AM

Dec 2010
I think it was a good episode, but I haven't read the manga
Jan 29, 2011 10:33 PM

Feb 2008
Hm, I wonder why they (for the English dub on adult swim) cut out the part in the end when Envy goes to Marcoh's cell to check on him. It's not that graphic, adult swim has shown more blood than that.
People are strange, when you're a stranger
Mar 18, 2011 6:02 PM

Mar 2010
there were some good parts but also it felt slow and then fast decent episode

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Mar 24, 2011 1:23 PM

Jun 2009
I think this episode could have done so much more. It's good to know, in a way, that the manga is much more detailed. I've got to read it at some point.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 11, 2011 5:05 AM

Oct 2010
Mindnor said:
I think it was a good episode, but I haven't read the manga

Same here.

I clicked the wrong number on the poll again. 3/5
[insert awesome signature here]
Jun 1, 2011 9:01 AM
Apr 2010
woah,manga readers flaming.LMAO
Jul 6, 2011 2:55 PM

Dec 2010
Hawkeye is actually hot if she’s dressed in the right way :D
I dislike the way Al descripted himself, because he’s cooler than his brother in no way. Ed!

And Ed seems to love Winry too, that's what I really like about Brotherhood (mm)
Aug 5, 2011 12:05 PM
Jul 2010
Wow at the backstory... That was really sad, and also a bit disturbing. I hope Roy reaches his goal - I never thought he was that selfless. That Kimbley guy... his vision of things is kinda twisted but he did say some things on spot. And now what's left to know is what was that "most powerful alchemy" Riza's dad researched in the past...

Sent with Mal Updater
May 18, 2012 4:22 PM

Sep 2011
LOL @ Al making fun of Ed at the end.
May 31, 2012 6:36 PM
Jul 2009
I never read the manga so I have nothing to compare it to (except maybe the original FMA series) but I gave this episode a 5/5 because I thought it was awesome and gave a good backstory to how Roy and Riza know each other. I love Riza she is very pretty and has a cool name!

Also Ishval stuff was pretty crazy not to mention the look on Envy's face at the end and the creepy blood writing and all that jazz. I really like the last scene being at the end of the credits.
I'm not a neko girl, I'm nyan-binary, hence the name
Yes I am an SJW.
No i will not scream at you for being a straight, white, cis, male.
I have important things to scream about and a finite amount of time in the day.
Feel free to talk to me, I only bite if you ask nicely :D
Sep 17, 2012 1:50 PM

Jun 2012
even without reading the manga i can sort of see that some things were missing there, was still good though. looking forward to the rest of the series :)
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Sep 17, 2012 3:18 PM
Dec 2007
Dusk252 said:
Wow at the backstory... That was really sad, and also a bit disturbing. I hope Roy reaches his goal - I never thought he was that selfless. That Kimbley guy... his vision of things is kinda twisted but he did say some things on spot. And now what's left to know is what was that "most powerful alchemy" Riza's dad researched in the past...
He was talking about Flame Alchemy. It's incredibly powerful, powerful enough to kill a Homonculus just via pure fire.

Oct 12, 2012 1:48 PM

May 2012
A nice bit of background story telling about the ishbal war and other specific things, quite a nice episode!
Oct 19, 2012 11:20 PM

May 2012
it was nice how we saw mustang during the war (=
ending was funny as well ^^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2012 7:55 PM

Jul 2009
it's nice to see how Roy learned his fire techniques as well as how he met Riza and her father.

definitely a heart breaking moment for Riza when her father dies.

so Riza is only a experiment??

that's why she has a tattoo at her back???

the war was pretty brutal :\

and wow Roy and Hughes was able to meet during the war huh??

must be traumatizing for Hawkeye since her shots can definitely kill people in just one shots.

yeah they already have the eyes of a murderer.

im interested on what Riza's tatoo at her back??

was she really a experiment??

damn that kimbley bastard.

so he was the first soldier to receive the Philosopher's stone??

and wow King Bradley brutal as ever :P

not giving the Ishbal a chance, then again those leaders are assholes for trying to sell them for them.

so that's how Riza loyalty to Roy came from.

wahh May Chang taken a liking to Al :P

now we're now half of the series, i wonder what other events are gonna be reveal?? :)
Nov 2, 2012 8:09 PM

Jul 2009
and yeah after reading here that alot of things got cut like how Roy was considered a hero at that time, Gran wasn't a useless character like in the first season and so on.

shame it was cut and all :\

i do agree they should have put 2 or more episode to explain the backstory.

since i want to know more about the impact of the war and how it influence them.
Mar 28, 2013 8:25 PM

Jun 2012
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

974 by Fortvne »»
May 19, 8:53 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 42 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

adamantine - Jan 31, 2010

137 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 18, 7:43 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Jan 24, 2010

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 18, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

344 by CaviarSandwiches »»
May 17, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Aug 9, 2009

359 by _Abdullah_ »»
May 14, 11:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.