Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Blue Period
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 12, 2021 8:58 AM

Jul 2017
Geidai's 1st Dessin exam: Self-portrait, while Ryuuji just walks out.

Yaguchi has 5 hours to finish his art piece, and this oil painting department's acceptance rate of 20:1 is quite low so he needs to stand out while creating a simple, yet eye-catching visual. His theme idea of creating a two-sided self-portrait, but with a broken mirror (which often gives bad luck), Yaguchi instead found a way to use the multiple shattered personas to add to his duality, adding composition to his canvas. What good luck.

Even during break time, everyone is their own enemy and won't even bat others in the eye for fear that they would fail after coming THIS far. But in those 5 hours to finish a work, and finish that it is, and to pass the 1st exam is nothing but simply luck.

10 days to the 2nd exam, and everyone is already nervous for the results. Ooba-sensei giving them all a rest time of a field trip to get some fresh air, and also gather more ideas for the 2nd exam of a dual work of oil painting and a sketchbook and 2 passes to pass. Okada in her rock fashion is just...fits her big and cool image. The field trip exhibition to a bone museum, and Ooba-sensei is casually not making things easy for them to work outside of their comfort zones and draw similar themes, the paradox of choices.

No matter if they pass or fail, because their artistic values will carry them going forward that's more than results alone. Kuwana is expected to pass, and so too is Hashida...along with the freakish Yaguchi. Onward to the 2nd exam!
KANLen09Nov 13, 2021 8:20 AM
Nov 12, 2021 11:05 AM

Apr 2018
CH16-CH17 were adapted

The tension is building up. The first exam has finally started. And Geida's first dessin exam is a self portrait. On the other side, Ryuuji drew a X on her canvas and walked away. She gave up on her way to become a future artist. The reason has something to do with her family situation and more.

Yaguchi has 5 hours in total for first exam. As you know, the acceptance rate is VERY LOW. So, he has to create sometimes that is simple that fits his style while being unique enough to stand out from the rest. There are similar people in the same room trying their best to pass. Sadly, his mirror broke which is something that doesn't happen often. His dual portrait is saved by adding different/multiples personas to his work.

A break is needed otherwise you can't function at your best. Of course, the atmosphere is filled with bloodlust. Just joking, everyone's a rival so there's no time to worry about another. Only yourself..

I've been waiting for this trip to get animated. They have some time till the second exam so Ooba-sensei organized a trip to a bone museum. And of course, she looks crazily good. It's a field trip to gather some ideas and have a fresh mind before getting into the second exam. Everyone's working on things that they're not used to and that's what Ooba-sensei wants them to focus on.

It's pretty predictable who'll pass and who won't but it's all about luck. Second exam is near and it'll be different from the first one.

I'll put the chapters and an image later.
SideCharacterKalNov 12, 2021 2:34 PM

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Nov 12, 2021 9:51 PM

Oct 2021
Another Good Episode.
Yaguchi Got 5 Hours to make his "self portrait" That Breaking of mirror gaved him idea to draw multiple persons in his duality which is great. And that trip one scene was also good. And the last Kuwana, Hashida and Yatora passed the first exam. Now Road To Second Exam soon which will gonna different. Will look forward how 7 arcs will adapt it...
Nov 13, 2021 7:05 AM

Jun 2016
every episode of this series is awesome dude !!!

Nov 13, 2021 7:52 AM
Mar 2015
Huzzah Our boy passed the 1st exam
Nov 13, 2021 7:53 AM

Oct 2014
I've never been so invested watching an exam xD The tension and overall atmosphere of this episode was perfect!!

Also man that ending was hype even though I knew Yatora would at least pass the first exam ^^
Nov 13, 2021 7:54 AM
Mar 2021
This episode got me in the first half i ain't gonna lie.
Nov 13, 2021 8:48 AM

May 2021
Great episode! That girl who broke his mirror really ended up helping him out for his idea. Her apology was very loud though xD. Yatora's self portrait looked really good. He passed the exam!

Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Nov 13, 2021 9:15 AM
Aug 2020
Anyone got any idea on who's the Voice Actress of the wholesome person? The voice is really familiar and cute XD
Nov 13, 2021 11:14 AM

Mar 2016
Last episode, I thought this was finally getting better, but this episode disappointed again!

The animation is so weird. It doesn't feel like I am looking at people moving. They just move when they are needed to, so it's like a puppeteer is moving them. No extra motion to show physics or personality.

The big girl, I forgot her name, had such a cute voice. It really doesn't blend with her personality. And, that voice was not sorry for almost destroying someone's dreams.

I wish this panel had appeared as it was, instead of each panel being given a full screen.

I can't believe they removed the invigilator's thoughts upon seeing Yatora's art. It doesn't make a difference to the plot, but it changes how we see things. Well, they tried to depend on visual storytelling, which I always love. But, the animation they added to do it was just weird and thoroughly weak.
Nov 13, 2021 12:17 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Haven't read the manga so I don't know what I'm missing out on, but for me this anime is getting the job done. I'm liking it more and more with each episode, which is saying something when I initially intended to drop it early on.

How tf do you judge art?? I have no idea. But thanks to some accident-ex-machina, yaguchi produced something that I can easily say, was quite striking.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 13, 2021 12:54 PM
Apr 2020
Ooba-sensei is really a nurturing and encouraging educator, hope to see her character even after the exam period.

What Yatora drew is really fascinating. Nice that Yatora, Kuwana and Hashida all passed the 1st round. Hopefully they will all pass in the 2nd round as well.

Nov 13, 2021 1:36 PM

Jan 2021
I liked Yaguchi's painting it was like a representation of the duality of man everyone has different sides to them and the painting was a good expression of that
Nov 13, 2021 2:02 PM

Aug 2021
Every episode I watch just reaffirms the fact that I'm absolutely in love with this show. Just how plainly real it is alongside the theme surrounding each interaction and the conclusions they arrive at, while continuing moving towards the goal set in motion makes for an overall experience that's beyond enjoyable and can be appreciated for simply having existed.
Looking forward to the 2nd exam and another progression towards getting into Geidai, ganbare Yaguchi & friends!*\(^-^)/*
Nov 13, 2021 2:37 PM
Angel

Apr 2017
Nothing has really came of that X cliffhanger from last episode.

Yatora was able to pass though!
Nov 13, 2021 3:52 PM

Aug 2020
He's crazed. The way the glass broke gave him an idea to draw his portrait. I love the realization and his fear in getting disqualified because it really happens irl. This episode made me so hyped, the ending were he looked badass passing the 1st exam with a grin on his face was very rewarding. Yaguchi's so cool and passionate, I love him. The way they took a break to go to a museum(?) was very nice too, made me realize that the art world is so big..

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Nov 13, 2021 4:23 PM
Jul 2018
I'm loving Yaguchi's drawings, he had a lot of creativity to think of making a drawing with the example of the broken mirror, that's amazing.
Nov 13, 2021 4:25 PM
May 2021
They really killing us with Ryuuji...showing and revealing so little with each episode. 😫
Nov 13, 2021 5:16 PM

Jun 2019
Man, this anime has really improved since the earlier episodes. It has found a comfortable pace and direction style, letting the story do its best.
Nov 13, 2021 6:07 PM
Aug 2017
I liked the whole exam presentation, seeing Yatora dealing with the pressure, his thoughts and ideas were so fitting to the character. I really like the atmosphere, but that scene about the girl broking his mirror was really necessary? I mean, putting some narrative "luck" to trigger some insight in the Yatora's mind was so out of context. They way how he was thinking was already enough in my opinion, i could easy accept if he came up with that shattered idea, without the broken glass ex machinna moment lol

The second part of the episode, focusing on the trip for the museum, feel like kind unnecessary, i don't know why a lesson about how is normal the to be like other people has anything to do with the place that plot is at the moment.

The show ended the last episode with Ryuji giving up to do his exam, and started this one with him literally saying that he was giving up - i just don't get why are we getting a Ryuji drama now? He is not even in the exam cast anymore.

Nice episode, im really enjoying the show. Has a great feeling around it, this whole art theme is very light-hearted and sometimes even cute.

Nov 13, 2021 6:14 PM
Oct 2020
nero_lz said:
Anyone got any idea on who's the Voice Actress of the wholesome person? The voice is really familiar and cute XD
I think It's KanaHana
Nov 14, 2021 12:50 AM

Apr 2014
Congrats! Yatora, Hashida, and Kuwana.
It was a tension exam for Yatora. The shattered glass was turn out to help him.

btw, for the one who is curious about the museum. It's Intermediatheque, a natural history museum located just in front of Tokyo Station.
何それ?意味分かんない
Nov 14, 2021 4:52 AM
Jan 2016
This anime shows that a simple story, like our daily life story, with a correct design and visual, also matched ost, can become a great anime, too...
Nov 14, 2021 7:13 AM
Oct 2019
First Exam Self Portrait is done..

I thought they gonna leave us with the Cliffhanger, Thank God lol
Nov 14, 2021 10:18 AM

Apr 2015
It is only the first part of the exam and the pressure is high that not even the famous students have it easy, you could see the strong feelings of each participant
Nov 14, 2021 11:19 AM

Oct 2017
of course i knew he was going to pass (because plot armor, duh) but I couldn't help but root for him and get emotional when he showed up to cram school at the end of the episode.
Nov 14, 2021 5:58 PM

Jun 2021
I thought they gonna leave us with the Cliffhanger but no this time.

Exactly what I thought, Yatora pass the first exam, and don't forget about Hashida and Kuwana for passing as well.
CravenowlNov 14, 2021 7:21 PM
I'm gonna sit down here and watch them do it
Nov 15, 2021 3:04 AM

Dec 2017
Ahhh !! Why do they give us so little of Ryuuji? :(
Finally the exam. The good Yaguchi managing to draw inspiration for his work from an accident, although the girl in the room reminds me a lot of an japanece actress, in both the body tells you quickly that it has blood from a foreigner.

Too bad, in the last 2 chapters we know more about the other classmates but it seems that their end has come (I thought the girl would be just a filler character and that's why she didn't speak anything)
Nov 15, 2021 6:49 PM

Jul 2016
Yaguchi did it! Absolutely loved his piece and the idea behind it. His mirror breaking ended up being such a blessing in disguise.
Nov 15, 2021 11:49 PM

Jul 2021
https://blue-period.jp/character/

the 3 who fail the 1st exam :

- hanako sakuraba . she looks like a clone of yuka-chan : same face , same eyes , same hair-style . i guess the mangaka was lazy with the characters 's designs , lol .

- sae okada . a girl with the bob hair-style .

- takuro ishii . a fat , ugly , baldy boy .

it is obvious since the beginning that they will fail because : they are not the main characters , lol , they are not featured on the anime 's posters , promotional materials , merchandises , etc ....

Hello everyone , please check out and subscribe to my youtube channel , DayWithoutAnime 2.0 DayWithoutGame , that has many meme , funny anime / manga videos , thank you :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFNBo_02wOQwRJ4HXlzC9dw
Nov 17, 2021 11:57 AM

Jul 2021
I had a feeling that something was going to happen that would get Yaguchi out, but luckily, everything went well and he passed the first exam.
asdasdsadad
Nov 19, 2021 11:11 AM

Jun 2019
Man... Oba sensei is such an awesome teacher. I wish I had a teacher like her. What a way of giving the exam after breaking the mirror but I guess, that proved lucky for him as he got to understand the perspective in more depth which I like. That was a cool painting from Yaguchi. The nervousness on everyone's face and the mistakes Yaguchi keeps making is what makes me enjoy this show.

Well, let's see how Yaguchi does from now on as he really has a long way to go.
Nov 21, 2021 9:45 PM

Feb 2019
Another great episode! That's one of the tensest exams I've ever seen.

Ryuuji... what's happening with him I wonder?

Was not expecting an accident to happen during the exam. But when the mirror broke I just thought "Is this what's going to inspire him?" And it sure is. His resulting artwork was great. Loved its concept. I think the supervisor person was also impressed by it.

The ending was sort of predictable, but I loved it anyway ^^ My favourite Kuwana passed! And of course Yatora himself. Sad for the other three, but I guess that's just Tokyo University of the Arts for you.

Hyped!
Nov 22, 2021 2:00 AM

May 2020
Yaguchi was lucky there that it was just his mirror and nothing else but well a blessing in disguise for him as he got his idea from this very incident. Also looks like that clumsy girl was voiced by HanaKana.

With the results being out now and the trio of Yaguchi, Kuwana and Hashida being the ones to pass through, now it's time for the second stage.
Dec 3, 2021 12:23 AM

Oct 2008
accidents like that (breaking of the mirror) are what you called Fate! Yaguchi definitely got that idea from it and it made him pass the 1st exam...now the nightmare 2nd exam is the dealbreaker here oh no! what's yuka's prob!?!?
5/5.

Dec 5, 2021 3:13 AM
Nov 2020
does this mean the others didn't pass the exam? i feel bad for them
"I can't trust a website where csm is rated higher than hxh"
- Akira Toriyama

Dec 5, 2021 5:38 AM
Feb 2021
Liking the show and premise but holy FUCK the animation is letting it down
Dec 6, 2021 10:25 AM

Oct 2018
The results are out and obviously the main 3 passed. It's time for the 2nd exam. Also, wonder what happened with Ryuuji.
Dec 7, 2021 10:02 PM

Dec 2016
So they did gave everyone a mirror.

Yatora is actually really deep considering he hasn't been into drawing since the beginning. He definitely has potential to be a professional artist. It was crazy how he came up with a complex idea in such a short time. If it was me I would definitely fail since I would just draw a realistic drawing of myself as like as in the mirror.

It's obvious that there's another candidate right behind you, that was really careless of her to keep walking backwards like that. If it was me I would've kept cursing that person.

I hope Yotasuke also got selected, it would be really unfair if he's not selected...
Dec 9, 2021 5:24 PM
Jan 2021
This anime is so engaging! Watching Yaguchi prepare for his exam and sit it had me on the edge of my seat more than some action based animes do! I can't wait for the next episode!!
Dec 14, 2021 2:20 AM
Jul 2021
thank god he passed the exam on to the next episode
Dec 19, 2021 2:12 PM

Aug 2010
I feel like the execution lacks tension, especially during the exam.. the frist part of the field trip was fun though, and then it kind of got rushed I feel.

Onto the 2nd part of the exam!
Dec 25, 2021 10:52 PM

Aug 2017
Of course, irrelevant characters were going to fail lol.

The exam part was amazing. I've never been so invested watching an exam lol.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 25, 2021 11:31 PM

Aug 2017
Of course, irrelevant characters were going to fail lol.

The exam part was amazing. I've never been so invested watching an exam lol.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 26, 2021 12:14 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The fact that the other girl broke his mirror is probably what saved him lol, anyway good to see that they succeeded (of course the three main ones from the group (xD))
Jan 4, 2022 9:22 AM
Nov 2020
That ending scene may be the coolest good morning greeting I've seen in a long time.
Mar 13, 2022 3:36 AM

Jul 2015
Shoutout to the Thicc girl for breaking Yaguchi's mirror by accident there. Kinda obvious Yaguchi, Kuwana and Hashida were going to pass but I'm curious on Yuka with her submission.

Apr 15, 2022 12:13 PM

Mar 2010
I loved his execution of himself in shattered pieces, too bad he went with another option, but still turned out nice and looks more 3d.
I guess since they focus on the girl who broke his mirror, that she will pass as well.

Sep 26, 2022 8:04 AM
Mar 2021
the entrance exam was very intense and all the artworks created were beautiful
Dec 28, 2022 12:53 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
It was a surprise. The picture was nice, not cool!!! kekeke
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blue Period Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Sep 24, 2021

220 by iloveaslfua »»
Jul 24, 1:46 PM

Poll: » Blue Period Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Oct 8, 2021

125 by Supremestrawhat »»
Jun 28, 10:26 AM

Poll: » Blue Period Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Dec 10, 2021

134 by huacraft »»
May 1, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Blue Period Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Oct 1, 2021

143 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 27, 11:49 PM

Poll: » Blue Period Episode 6 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 29, 2021

49 by Kayo_fujinuma »»
Apr 27, 1:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.