Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 6, 2021 6:48 PM

Dec 2013
That was super sweet and wholesome, no wonder so many people were asking about an anime adaptation, I'm looking forward to each classmate, it seems everyone will be a walking pun like on Hitori Bocchi.
Oct 6, 2021 6:56 PM

Jun 2021
As an introvert, I can relate to Komi-san on what she said wrote on the blackboard. Though I know there's a difference between introversion and communication disorder..
RedcherOct 6, 2021 7:04 PM
Oct 6, 2021 7:33 PM

Jul 2016
Wholesome asf! And those production values seem fairly high too. Like... damn.

Lovely start overall. Don't really know what to expect from Komi and Tadano's classmates tho. Hopefully, they will blend well with their dynamic as well as with the story.
Oct 6, 2021 7:38 PM

Aug 2019
First episode was funny and amazing
Oct 6, 2021 7:50 PM

Aug 2016
production values are great, but the main characters interactions alone turn bland too damn fast, and I can´t think of a single moment I was amused or surprised.

That ending song, though...
MichaelJacksonOct 6, 2021 8:23 PM
:v
Oct 6, 2021 8:16 PM

Oct 2018
I personally found the Komi manga to be pretty average, but this first episode was amazing. The art, the animation, and the directing far exceeded my expectations. Hopefully they can keep this up until the anime ends.

Oct 6, 2021 10:05 PM

Mar 2020
Gosh the stellar animation and character models blew me away man
Soundtrack seems very promising too
have a feeling I'll really enjoy this one
hopefully subs come out, translating raw by my existing jp knowledge was cool and all but I couldn't read one letter of what they were writing :/
Oct 6, 2021 11:18 PM

Sep 2020
Never underestimate Pokemon studio...

This anime adaption is perfect 10 time better then the manga.
Oct 6, 2021 11:32 PM

Mar 2021
The Komi-san anime is finally airing and it looks great. I can't imagine how the people who read the manga from the very start react to this, they must be feel so happy.
Girls in my class start to cry if I even make eye contact with them
- Ishigami Yuu
Oct 7, 2021 12:25 AM
Aug 2020
josh_exe said:
Gosh the stellar animation and character models blew me away man
Soundtrack seems very promising too
have a feeling I'll really enjoy this one
hopefully subs come out, translating raw by my existing jp knowledge was cool and all but I couldn't read one letter of what they were writing :/
wait until international realese
Oct 7, 2021 12:48 AM
Nov 2020
Holy moly. I never imagined the adaption will be this good. OLM put everything. The animation looks sooooo good. 10/10 for me
Oct 7, 2021 12:52 AM

Mar 2021
That was SO CUTE!!!!! MY HEART CAN’T TAKE THIS MUCH CUTENESS!!!!! I cried, it’s just so wholesome. The production is incredible, I can’t wait to see more. 10/10 pilot episode 💯

Oct 7, 2021 1:09 AM
Feb 2021
best waifu so far this season
Oct 7, 2021 1:14 AM

Jan 2018
That first ep was great. The animators and Tadanos VA did such a good job.. good job really considering they had to carry the whole episode. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i3zrzyLOCw
Dimmock is a lot like Veal, an acquired taste.
Oct 7, 2021 1:18 AM

Jul 2019
As a person who knows about social anxiety firsthand I was pleasantly delighted with the events in this episode. Not all the uncommunicative people are truly prefer to hide inside their shells, it's just most of them need a saving straw to be more involved in companionship. It's a very deep topic about how to cooperate with inner demons and at least try not to go crazy in society.

Tadano for sure will certainly not turn his back on the fact that his school life will be more than varied after he met Komi and the spiral of events began to spin with incredible speed. Numb Komi is so precious, a thousand thoughts rush through her head while on her face it's only a wish for time to pass by as fast as it's possible. She's making humongous progress on her path to meet 100 friends but at the same time a volcano is boiling inside her and that lava has to go somewhere.

I also liked the watercolor opening, where Tadano and Komi are already frolicking in the company of many other distinctive characters. Plus everything that is about Komi's flowery aura and cartoony numbness was also painted with care.

All in all the plot of this story and its sincere development shouldn't leave anyone who still believes in better days indifferent.
Oct 7, 2021 1:23 AM

Sep 2011
This first episode was awesome... I think it has the potentiality to become the best anime of this season after Mushoku for me... I can relate to Komi-san... Social anxiety is a serious thing.
Oct 7, 2021 1:34 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Good so far, HOWEVER, translation need to do a bit better. Missing translation here and there.
partial translate and shortening it.

FYI on the first part.
boku ga hitori me no tomodachi = I am your first friend
boku ga hitori me no tomodachi ni naru = I will become your first friend
second part of the sentence is correct.
Oct 7, 2021 1:51 AM

Jan 2013
Well, it was better than the manga. The music was pretty good, but otherwise it was kinda mediocre.
Oct 7, 2021 2:58 AM
Aug 2021
The conversation between Komi and Tadano through the blackboard was SO wholesome!
I love the OP. Looking forward to some character development in Komi.
Oct 7, 2021 3:02 AM

Jan 2021
Aaaahhhh ! This looks so gorgeous and wholesome.
Komi-san is really cute lol.
Oct 7, 2021 3:50 AM

Jan 2018
reddit's favourite anime of all time?! pogchamp pogchamp pogchamp
Oct 7, 2021 4:01 AM
Mar 2021
Finally! Komi san got an anime Let's GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 7, 2021 4:16 AM

Nov 2013
I'll be blunt. I don't like the first episodes at all. By the time I check the timestamp it's 10 minutes and I was already bored. I just found the comedy to be sucks, Even in some of boring shows that's I've watch there's at least something to crack a giggle or smile but not even once here did I smile or laugh. Oh Komi is so pretty, she was adored by everyone but she can't communicate and the anime turn the character's face into cartoony mode. Rinse and Repeat.

The only saving grace is that the drama wasn't actually that bad. I liked the music during that calkboard scene and I'll be in if the two main will develop a romantic relationship over the course of the series. But seeing this is an anime and the manga is still on going, the show will not have the balls to do that and we're gonna spend the rest of series with school nonsense hijink.

Overall, a dissapointing premiere.
DannyTheDonkeyOct 7, 2021 5:49 AM
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 7, 2021 4:23 AM

Nov 2019
From the first episode alone I can already tell this anime is going to be something special. Heard good things about the manga so this is gonna be a nice series to follow weekly.
Everyone could use some One Piece in their life.
Oct 7, 2021 4:24 AM
Mar 2021
I was not much hyped even after hearing that much of praise to manga but now I totally understand what the hype is about most probably it is not gonna disappoint me first episode was amazing
Oct 7, 2021 4:34 AM

Sep 2018
Komi-san: Breathes

Me: Thank you Koga Aoi, that was some S tier acting!
well that's just my opinion.....
Oct 7, 2021 4:49 AM

Mar 2017
This has all the elements to make a great anime; stunning, high-quality animation, beautiful soundtrack, a colorful cast of characters and a concept that is interesting. Add the perfect balance of wholesomeness and comedy and this was a very strong first ep.

Oct 7, 2021 4:53 AM

Nov 2011
This episode can be described in one word: PERFECTION

But to put more words into it. I was really worried about the Chalk board scene and how they would adapt it. I mean an anime where one of the two main characters does not speak how can they make it so That scene particularly has some sort of impact. And holy shit did they give it impact. That scene was fucking BEAUTIFUL.

ALSO the fucking details in this anime are simply amazing. Chalk particles, the aggressive writing when Komi is nearing the end of her rant, just like the littlest moments fucking perfect.

The Narrator is FANTASTIC. She brings that little extra to the anime just like the manga did.

And the art and animation truly fucking stunning. This is EASILY OLM's best anime and we're only one episode in.

The only last thing I can say is that this was a Perfect episode.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Oct 7, 2021 5:08 AM

May 2021
Great episode! Going to be hard for Komi to get 100 friends judging by how she is right now but I hope she achieves her dream! The animation was also great this episode. Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Oct 7, 2021 5:13 AM

Feb 2014
I never read the manga before, but I have been aware of how much this series has been loved long before the anime version was ever announced. Because of this, I had to check out the anime version and see what the first episode was like.

My thought? I think this introduction was VERY impressive. The comedy was funny, voice acting was very good and the production values from OLM was fantastic. I hope they keep up this quality for the whole season. =)

If I had to say what my favourite part of the episode was, it would be when Komi and Tadano were communicating with each other with the chalkboard. I found it to be very heartwarming and rather moving, too. ^_^

This will be a nice series to follow weekly, so I look forward to seeing how this story will go from here on.
Oct 7, 2021 5:23 AM

Jul 2017
Finally got to watch the first episode of this series and while it does look really well drawn (I had faith in Ayumu Watanabe as the director after he made Major 2nd Season 2 look amazing and so much better than every other baseball anime I've seen), it felt maybe a bit out of place for me with this Komi-san series just by a bit. It's not a bad thing but I need to get adjusted to the realistic drawings mixed with the gag designs and humor. Production effort is still really good though, can't doubt that. Looks good on its own as a normal series.

But one thing I wasn't a fan of was the usage of text bubbles and onomatopoeia in this episode. It definitely was used a lot in the manga which makes sense, but is kind of an overkill here in the anime and ruins the flow and humor of some moments for me at times. I wish the series toned down a lot more on that element.

To get those complaints out of the way, I loved the boardroom scene and how that was adapted and directed. It felt powerful seeing Komi-san want to express so much on the board but struggle with executing it through her own words and voice, and struggle to make friends due to her anxiety to talk to others (I've gone through that myself) but Tadano was able to talk to her through the board and is willing to help her with her goal of making a 100 friends. That was a sweet scene as a whole. Music was really great too as a whole, voice acting too.

Overall, this episode of Komi-san is a mixed bag leaning more towards the positive side. It has its forced moments with the humor and the text bubbles/onomatopoeia but also has its memorable and good moments that I remembered from when I first read the manga 4 years ago. A shame the manga went downhill for a long time back then with so much nothing happening for a long time, but given this anime can pick and choose what to adapt, I'm sure the anime can take the good parts of the manga and turn into a decent experience overall. Probably a 6/10 for this episode, one of the better scores I gave a premiere this season, but I also imagine this episode being one of the better episodes for this season of Komi-san so who knows how the actual show will turn out by the end.

Edit: Rewatched the episode again, and I'd now probably go with a 5/10 rather than a 6. The blackboard scene was really nice and good production, rest of the episode though I kind of overlooked, even when discussing this episode. And the stuff I overlooked weren't that fun or enjoyable, just existed. That one blackboard scene really did carry the episode though.
animejasOct 7, 2021 7:36 AM
Oct 7, 2021 5:24 AM

Jul 2020
I can't believe people writing stuff on blackboard will be such emotional things.

It was a very good first episode. I'm gonna enjoy this series.
Oct 7, 2021 5:29 AM
Aug 2020
DannyTheDonkey said:
I'll be blunt. I don't like the first episodes at all. By the time I check the timestamp it's 10 minutes and I was already bored. I just found the comedy to be sucks, Even in some of boring shows that's I've watch there's at least something to crack a giggle or smile but not even once here did I smile or laugh. Oh Komi is so pretty, she was adored by everyone but she can't communicate and the anime turn the character's face into cartoony mode. Rinse and Repeat.

The only saving grace is that the drama wasn't actually that bad. I liked the music during that calkboard scene and I'll be in if the two main will develop a romantic relationship over the course of the series. But seeing this is an anime and the manga is still on going, the shows will not have the balls to do that and we're gonna spend the rest of series with school nonsense hijink.

you should watch the full version
Oct 7, 2021 5:46 AM

Nov 2013
kohakugaming said:
DannyTheDonkey said:

The only saving grace is that the drama wasn't actually that bad. I liked the music during that calkboard scene and I'll be in if the two main will develop a romantic relationship over the course of the series. But seeing this is an anime and the manga is still on going, the shows will not have the balls to do that and we're gonna spend the rest of series with school nonsense hijink.

you should watch the full version

eh... I did watched the entire 23 minutes episode. I found the first ten minutes to be unfunny.
DannyTheDonkeyOct 7, 2021 6:07 AM
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 7, 2021 5:52 AM

Feb 2021
After so much waiting, Komi-san's adaptation arrived! :D I loved it, the animation is fantastic, the timing is very good and the seiyus were great. At the beginning it is difficult to adapt because when I reading the manga I always imagined the voice of other seiyus, but the voice of Aoi Koga and Gakuto Kajiwara worked perfectly.
I also loved how well adapted the expressions, especially those of Komi, give a unique touch to the work. The music is great, I know some of Yukari Hashimoto's work but I didn't know her. It was excellent, it accompanied the script very well ... so much that I could not help a few tears when Komi and Tadano write on the board. I am really excited and looking forward to the next chapter! Go for those 99 friends, Komi! ^^

Oct 7, 2021 6:04 AM

Oct 2018
Disappointing episode since the premise of Horimiya. Lame premise, characters were bland and overreacting, but the sound and animation were good. I was expecting something more. 1/5 for now.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Oct 7, 2021 6:51 AM

Dec 2015
Komi is fucking adorable !

I hope it's not all cut, it's going to be one of the best animes of the decade.
Oct 7, 2021 7:46 AM
Jan 2018
You ask me if it was worth the wait? Worth every damn second.
Even having read the manga I almost started to cry in the blackboard scenes, it was so beautiful. Perfect adaptation I feel sorry for the haters.

And here begins the story, of how Tadano became one of the most chad characters there are.
Oct 7, 2021 7:49 AM

Mar 2020
The episode is enjoyable and not to mention the beautiful animation it's just perfect. I'm so proud of you Studio OLM. Hoping the animation will be consistent.

I love cidergirl's 『Cinderella』and combine with the beautiful visuals of the opening.

The seiyuus are great too. Gakuto-san did a great job and Koga-san too. Hahahaha
Zorosuke_Oct 7, 2021 8:00 AM
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Oct 7, 2021 7:57 AM

Mar 2018
Nice Episode it remind me of A Silent Voice movie
Oct 7, 2021 8:06 AM

Aug 2021
I heard before that the reason why komi san doesn't have an anime adaption because it's hard to adapt komi san to anime but this adaptation proved us wrong! This is so beautiful and perfect adaptation for me
Oct 7, 2021 8:08 AM

Dec 2020
put the manga on hold on chaot 22 for Months because i saw the anime announcement and yk what? it was SO so worth it.

i love the part where komi wrote her stoey was completely silent, just the sound of her chalk being dragged and just with that it really maximized the emotions felt in that scene
Oct 7, 2021 8:24 AM

Oct 2019
This anime is a mix of Pokemon, every single SoL school themed anime and Monogatari in ters of animation. It's also very funny! I can't wait for the next episode!
BOŽE ČUVAJ HRVATSKU
Oct 7, 2021 8:42 AM
Jul 2021
Thought it was decent but I think the manga was a little better. Netflix has Komi as rated TV-G but I’m genuinely wondering how they’ll keep Agari as a character and still have the show rated G
Oct 7, 2021 8:51 AM

Aug 2021
The visuals are too good and Komi is really cute :3

Also why tf is there a ninja in their classroom XD
Oct 7, 2021 8:56 AM
May 2021
Love that emotional scene man, nice how the camera movin and how they cut every piece of movement at the moment, even it's really sync with the song

This is the experience that u can't feel in the manga tho
Oct 7, 2021 9:02 AM
Oct 2020
a good first episode 👏.
Oct 7, 2021 9:16 AM

Sep 2020
Is it normal to cry a little with a comedy-themed anime?
Yup, I cried a little. Perhaps because the writting stuff remembered me of Koe no Katachi.

They did it very intense in the anime!
The way secenes were shown, the music, the japanese words appearing behind...
Outstanding. Truly outstanding.
Oct 7, 2021 9:36 AM
Feb 2016
DannyTheDonkey said:

The only saving grace is that the drama wasn't actually that bad. I liked the music during that calkboard scene and I'll be in if the two main will develop a romantic relationship over the course of the series. But seeing this is an anime and the manga is still on going, the show will not have the balls to do that and we're gonna spend the rest of series with school nonsense hijink.

Pretty much summarized how I felt about episode 1 as well. While the art is nice, the tonal shift from serious moments to comedy happens too often for very little effect. It also felt like at times there were too many cuts from one scene to the next for how slow paced the interactions actually were. I ended up stopping halfway through because of how indifferent I felt while watching it.
Oct 7, 2021 9:41 AM

Jun 2020
Wow. Komi-san was the first manga I ever read and when I heard it was getting an anime I was really overjoyed coz I love the manga. But what is this? I didn't know it was going to be THIS good. The animation is absolutely gorgeous and the soundtrack is so beautiful. I thought this was going to be just another hihi haha anime adaptation but the studio has absolutely nailed it. It's way better than the manga . I really hope all the episodes are like this....... Btw, love those JOJO effects.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2021

97 by Azurosa »»
Jun 19, 2:51 PM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2021

175 by tinykoo7 »»
May 22, 6:18 AM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2021

115 by JVskunkape »»
May 20, 6:01 AM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2021

90 by JVskunkape »»
May 20, 5:45 AM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2021

223 by JVskunkape »»
May 20, 5:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.