Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Dec 29, 2020 2:21 PM
Sep 2020
The ending was good enough, but lacked a sense of direction due to it being a bit fast paced, so we as a audience couldn't find out where the children actually arrived at.
Dec 29, 2020 3:04 PM

Jul 2017
Dude, this show, was fire!! It reminded me so much of a mix between Psycho Pass and Akame ga Kill. The story was super interesting (took me a bit to get into it tbh), i really enjoyed all of the twists and turns it had, the action, the characters, some of them were way better than others, but the overall thing, man i really liked this, it's so good! Really sad about this bittersweet ending though, but i think it was a good one nevertheless.

Solid 8/10, engaging af show
Dec 29, 2020 3:54 PM

Jan 2018
I started this anime without any expectations and damn did it surprise me.
The soundtrack and visuals are great and the characters are interesting, this was one of the better series of the season.
The last episode was stunning and serves as a fitting end for this series.

9/10
Dec 29, 2020 5:32 PM

Dec 2016
Hyperversum said:

I mean, it's clear from the fucking start that any "main character" beyond Swindler will be a mostly 2d character defined by one primary motivation.

By episode 10, it's clear that the end will be about what the fuck happens to the kids and possibly to the city as a result of all that nice police brutality and what's basically a regime based on the people believing that the "Akudama" are supermegaiper villains when they generally seem to be just criminals and the actual motivation that gets them the death penalty is being against the government (and then there are of course the actual psychos like Cutthroat, but it's clear that he is an exception).

Well yeah, that's the principle of 3 act stories, by the end of the second act you're just getting ready for the resolution of the story in the third act expecting everything to be tied up neatly, not to create more questions or make the characters act in a contrived and uncharacteristic way (like Courier did in the last 2 episodes) or introduce even more props to slow down the protagonists (that makes you wonder why didn't the executioners use their big boy toys in the beginning)

Hyperversum said:

Even so, there are people that fail to see it and go out of their way to speak off "underdeveloped character", "no worldbuilding" and bs of this level.

And don't get me wrong, I am not saying that you (general "you", not anyone specifically) are stupid or you taste is shit, because of course not. You have all the right in the world to not like something, it would be absurd to say otherwise.
But for God's sake recognize what is your taste and what is throwing buzzwords around to justify your taste as if it was an objective definition of what's good and what isn't.

What you're saying here is "shut your brain and enjoy the ride" and on paper it's a good idea. But in reality it's really hard to do so when there's no limitation stablished in the early stages of what these people can do or cannot and why something they could do i previous situations out of the blue they don't work anymore (like Doctor being unable to heal herself and allowed a mob to kill her). There's a reason why the term "jump the shark" exists, and it varies from people to people. You can't expect everyone to settle to your very own personal bar, that's just ridiculous.

Hyperversum said:

This series doesn't give backgrounds because they aren't relevant, the characters are defined by their actions and aren't the center of the story anyway (apart from Swindler's arc).
This series doesn't give a big ass worldbuilding because isn't about it, it's about this specific series of events, the effect they have on the characters and their own little world.

Alright, based on what do you make such a bold claim that backgrounds aren't needed nor relevant? Or that the world building isn't important because it's all about the very specific events that impact the protagonists and their enviroment. If the series was a character driven show maybe you could get away with your wild idea, but the series was always a plot driven one with a very specific goal as soon as the 2 kids were introduced.

The whole setting is based in a futuristic world with regions so split apart that they might as well be categorized as small countries, yet there's no explanation to this, or why is Kansai the personal guard dog of Kanto when Kanto is nothing but a bunch of floating rocks governed by a supercomputer. It's not a highschool anime with a very copy/paste setting. As a writer you need to give life to the sorroundings where your main characters will use as a playground, otherwise, your work is just hollow and pointless. I'm not saying that the writer should use a huge chunk of episodes to show how this society came to this state, but at least give a short prologue giving valid reasons how it all started. Even something as old and popcorn-ish like Mad Max had a short but concise introduction on how their society crumbled down to the point of becoming gas scavengers.

Hyperversum said:

You are entitled to your taste, but if you want to give a serious opinion that tries to be objective you have to be in the framework of the product you are analyzing.
You don't judge Evangelion by the same metric you judge One Piece or Haruhi, you don't judge a 12 episode anime original that doesn't focus on characters as you would judge a series like "March comes in like a Lion", which gets 24 episode for season, a manga source material and has a completely different framework.

The best example (and I won't quote the comment because who cares) is going on a tangent about "plot-holes" in a series where a goddamn motorcycle has a railgun mounted on it and ignores any rule of physics by jumping around like it was made of air.

I'm speaking for myself only, but I do believe that I'm using a mindset of "popcorn entertainment" wich is already a low bar, and even that, Akudama can't even stay believeable or consistant in it's own grounds because it never stablishes a ceiling for the characters to stay within bounds. Executioners ranged from god almighty to just pencil-necks when it was convenient for the plot, Hacker was a ridiculous plot device that would solve any computer related problem with just a few mashes on his keyboard (wich is just a pretty lame and cheap new standard) Doctor as I claimed couldn't heal herself when she needed it the most, or that The Swindler can brainwash every single citizen by just doing a twirl like a magical girl and calling herself THE SWINDLER.

There are pretty good popcorn entertainment out there, like RedLine. It doesn't need more than 95 mins to stablish the setting, present the characters and set the limitations of their machines to present itself. It doesn't add pointless plotlines that goes nowhere (like the moon being crushed by nukes). I did evaluate Akudama in the same grounds as RedLine and still it felt more like a nonsensical shitpost anime just like Pop Team Epic.

Hyperversum said:

It's the same principle behind why so many reviews miss the point of "Your Name". Yeah, the plot isn't "nitpicky nerd-prood", but that's not their point. You aren't watching Akudama Drive or Your Name for a perfectly written series of cause-effect relationships, you don't watch them for 2deep4u character interactions, you watch (and should judge them) for what they actually try to accomplish (respectively "an actual cyberpunk story with a dose of action eyecandy about a normal person thrown in a world of violence, where she doesnt' budge from her morality, about choosing to live with purpose rather than simply surviving" and " alove story with magic to make you feel things, not to challenge your brain cells").

I feel you're being a hypocrite in here. You previously mentioned that people were entitled to their own taste. But now you're talking of a very unified way of watching and critizing certain shows and I feel like you're climbing on top of a soapbox in order to call yourself an exemplary beacon. Like seriously, who cares how people enjoy their media? there are plenty of people that over analize "Your name" others that take it very lightly, others that are too nitpicky and hate it. They all have their own perception of their media, and that's very respectable.

Hyperversum said:

Would you go watch Utena expecting straightforward storytelling and a cast of all likeable characters? Would you read/watch Higurashi and expect a fully functional story, with questions and answers all together rather than put in different perspectives? Would you watch a romance like Wotakoi and don't expect characters to have some trope-y behaviour?

Well, duh, that's why there's this thing called "expectations". Not everybody is going to read a whole detailed synopsis with posible spoilers of a series before they even start it. A lot of people like me go completely blind and judge based on the early premise and check if the goals set by the writer were met by the end (if we even finish the whole thing)

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
anime-primeJan 1, 2021 2:03 AM
Dec 30, 2020 7:30 AM
Mar 2018
Rushed ending, but at least everyone had their moments until the very end.

Would say I want more but I think leaving it like this is good enough.

Dec 30, 2020 4:03 PM

Dec 2017
First half was kinda cold 7/10. Second half was just disappointing. I will not state my reasoning on why, bc no one will read this anyways. 4/10
Dec 30, 2020 9:19 PM
Sep 2020
Actually this anime has high potential, if in the end it's not rushed, but I quite like it

I was quite sad when the con man and the courier died, and the brothers finally found their freedom

At the beginning of this anime, it was very good, starting from the graphics, colors, and the action was made well

9/10 if the end isn't rushed
Dec 30, 2020 10:45 PM
Apr 2012
This shit was amazeballs. AOTS. There were a lot of plot holes and ass pulls and reaches, but that doesn't matter when you have an engaging story, characters that are consistently entertaining and amazing visuals.
Dec 31, 2020 2:00 AM
Feb 2020
This anime reminds me of akame ga kill
Dec 31, 2020 4:36 AM
Jul 2020
Akudama Drive ended up being pretty successful at exploring its ideas for a show that started off as dumb, edgy fun. I enjoyed how it presented the flaws of a society that demonizes criminals and blindly follows its laws and law enforcement as an absolute good. I also really liked how they showed a society where people exist for the sake of the system rather than the system existing for the sake of the people through things like how the executioners put down the first revolt and, more symbolically, through Kanto's purpose for the brother and sister.

As for specifically this episode while I wasn't blown away or anything I thought it was a fitting conclusion. Showing the consequences of the system's self-righteousness through riot with just a small push from the MC was satisfying and felt like it was grounded in the reality of how people would react considering the events leading up to this episode.
Dec 31, 2020 6:20 AM
Dec 2020
In my opinion the anime was great, had some little upset(I felt the kanto part didn't fit in) but nether the less I got the message the writer was passing,freedom from authority (which isn't perfect) and how much of the uncertainty exist in these world.it take one man with a vision to start a revolution(demonstration of swindler sacrifice):and who said two wrongs can make a right πŸ˜‹ .
Dec 31, 2020 7:51 AM
Feb 2020
Well, I really loved this in the beginning. It reminded me a lot of when I just got into anime. This would have been something I'd obess over at the time. But looking over it, it was just a good ride UNTIL the end. The finale really through this into the gutter for me. Disappointingly they picked off each and every character, rushed the pacing, and the very last few minutes of the anime were so boring I barely held any attention. A completely mediocre (possibly even just bad) ending that kinda ruined the whole thing for me. What a shame :(
Dec 31, 2020 2:03 PM

Feb 2015
Binging this from start to finish
Damn, The Pacing is almost flawless. Beginning with a Bang to introduce characters in first episode. and then going off crazy to establish groundwork of the work in the next 4 episode while being pretty action heave and eccentric looking.
And them in span of 3 episodes, turn things into the Darker aspects of itself and Turn the tides by speeding up the pacing in the next 3 episode, and then Again Wrap it all in an Epic final Episode.

Easy 10/10

Plot wise, especially considering it's a 12 episode Anime. It does NOTHING innovative. But It's themes are actually consistent and It's one of those Anime that had a clear vision and point from start to finish.
Characters and their Designs are on-point. Their Deaths serve a purpose throughout the Story
The Production Value is over the Top, Holy Shit Pierrot, You've done it finally
And it also has a Banger OP

Can't think of a lot of 12 episode anime that Start and wrap itself as clean as Akudama Drive for me
Dec 31, 2020 4:22 PM

Mar 2017
bittersweet ending but holy shit this anime was fucking good
Jan 1, 2021 2:04 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
This thread has been cleaned of baiting post.

Please keep the discussion civil and on topic.
Jan 1, 2021 2:32 AM

Aug 2020
another show that suffered from being 1 cour. It was beautiful. Some bits were rushed and some just dont make sense but its not a series that'll you'll forget easily. I feel that it tried to be edgy but it is what it is. It wasn't as good as I hoped it would be so

8/10
Jan 2, 2021 5:58 AM

Nov 2013
The beginning was nice, with all the akudama fighting together, but then it became bad when they split up, and the ending was mostly bad, except for the death on the cross, which seemed to be a Christian symbol, meaning that the creator probably had the good intention of indirectly defending God's truth.
I thought the cutthroat would be my favorite character, and he basically was until his character got completely fucked up and ended up trying to kill the girl and then killed by her, so I didn't care much for his death.
The Courier had a robotic arm, so I couldn't get to like him, and the same goes for the Hacker with that eerie eyepatch and cap that give the impression that he may have united machine with his body, which is fucked up if that was the case, though that really became the case in the end, as he turned into a virtual thing before dying.
The Swindler was extremely cringeworthy most of the time, and her looks with short hair didn't help her case.
The Doctor was likeable with "her" Komaeda's voice, and "she" didn't really stop being likeable even after betraying the group, but then he became repulsive when he revealed that he was actually an old man who probably cut his own dick to look like a woman through his own surgeries.
So the only characters that were really likeable from beginning to end were Knuckles and the police couple, especially the man probably mostlly because of Ootsuka Akio's voice.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Jan 2, 2021 3:57 PM

Feb 2018
FlamepriesT said:
A great show with a few issues:
* Did they ever explain how the brother got all that money to hire the akudama and how exactly he managed to get in touch with them?
* They could have given us a little more information regarding the doctor's betrayal. Just basic things like when and how they got in touch would have been enough.
* The whole thing about Shikoku come out of nowhere. We basically know nothing about the place and never get to see it at the end of episode 12.
Had these aspects of the story been a little more polished, I would give this show a 9 right away. Now, I'm not so sure.

This sums everything up pretty well.
Also, I cannot help but wonder how the quantum computer works... Writers/Directors should really stop throwing "quantums" around to avoid having to explain things.
Lastly, the characters oftentimes felt too simplistic although many of them "played their part" in the plot very well despite being so one-sided.
Otherwise a visually impressive show. I'll miss it along with the Courier <3
TwiggyWaspJan 3, 2021 2:07 AM
Jan 3, 2021 12:38 PM

Oct 2008
Swagernator said:
deg said:
is she the first evil transgender in anime?

No she's first evil transgender in anime that actually is not an evil transgender.

That is the first mind-breaking comment that actually isn't mind-breaking, that break my mind!
For the ones that like to bother others (like me) with "you should read the manga/LN", please stop. I don't read mangas, I will NOT read mangas, I will not listen to what manga readers complain in adaptation to the anime counterpart, I only watch anime except in very few and specific situations.
Jan 3, 2021 1:46 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
And here we are at the end of this wild ride. While this final episode was a little rushed, this was a satisfactory bittersweet ending. I do wish that it expanded on the aftermath of the riots, what happened with the executioners, the executioner with the eye patch, and where the siblings finally went to. It just feels like there were too many loose ends that need tying up.

Overall though, this was a hell of a ride, and was much better than I think anyone expected it to be. With its bombastic fight scenes, striking visual style, and excellent directing, this has a strong case for AOTS. In later episodes, this also proved that it can also handle quiet and reflective scenes just as well as the loud and flashy action sequences that put it on the map to begin with. Vocal performances were also stellar, especially by Swindler and Cutthroat's voice actors.

However, I do believe it lacked world building, such as explaining the executioners and the reason for the existence of Akudamas.

I think character wise this was a mixed bag, because characters like Swindler, Hoodlum, and the Siblings got really strong development. I especially loved seeing Swindler become more and more capable. But other characters felt a little one dimensional. I also hate the fact they left the eye-patch Executioner out to dry. It felt as though they were building something for her, but it ultimately ended up as nothing. Really disappointing in that respect.

The lesson it shared was once again man's desperate attempt to claim immortality (which seems to be a big cyberpunk genre theme), and the evils of a tyrannical and all powerful government. And while I get what it was saying, there could be room for improvement.

Despite everything, I had a total blast. Studio Perriot should be proud of the work they've done. I think this series will be contentious, with debates on whether it's a modern classic or an overly ambitious flop, but ultimately I believe it will turn into a cult classic.

Thanks for the memories, you Akudama you.

8/10
Jan 3, 2021 2:27 PM

Feb 2014
So this turned out to be a mess.

Also, too bad it turned out to be a mix Akame ga Kill 2.0 + Dangaronpa + Psycho Pass

Additionally, there is this empty ending even though it´s an original work.

4/10, maybe 5

TechOtakuJan 3, 2021 2:45 PM
Jan 4, 2021 3:02 PM

Dec 2012
One of the amazing anime of 2020.
What if? This is all a dream and they're inside of Kanto

Jan 8, 2021 9:38 AM

May 2009
Best cyberpunk has to offer in 2020.
Chanbara said:
I only have one thing to say

Heh
Jan 8, 2021 12:20 PM

Oct 2008
So the kids escaped but it is left unclear what their destination is. Not as satisfying of an ending as I hoped. For all we know, at the end of that tunnel is just a wasteland leftovers of the perished civilization.

Overall I want to say it was a fun watch, but most of it seem to be due to a high budget animation. I can see why it can be popular with the kids though, fairly easy to distract people with edgy expressions and flashy explosions. Meanwhile, I was too busy nitpicking at plotholes such as how the Doctor managed to sew back on her head and body off screen and then struggle so much with one carotid before dying.
Jan 9, 2021 2:06 PM

Jul 2009
I was not expecting them all to die! I really wanted the Ordinary Person and Courier to live! And her dead was so sad...Execution's chief dead was well deserved and the rebellion was nice, but in the end, it was not the citizen free will, it was control again...
Jan 9, 2021 6:13 PM
Apr 2019
the ending Kinda to be expected, i mean it's not a bad ending, it's just kinda meh, but i just loved overall story, not the way the anime presented, but like the whole concept fo the story.

Definitely 6/10 for action sci-fi in my list
Jan 11, 2021 8:47 PM
Aug 2020
Shimai_ni said:
Here I thought Kodaka was going to pull out a Danganronpa V3 ending but he actually pulled out a
ending. I must say the game ending bothered me more. Here it was a bit expected after seeing in which direction the episode is headed while being knowledgeable of his previous work. I like Kodaka but he really should have left the story writing to Uchikoshi.

All in all, just like the rest of the anime, this episode's first half was better than the second one. No one will be able to write pure madness and chaos like him but the story was lacking more world building and hence the open ending. I really thought he is going with "Kansai is just a reality show for Kanto and they riot against them in the end" ending so I felt surprised-not-so-surprised watching this. But enough of what could have been better (because there's a lot).

For animation and enjoyment alone this anime should get a passing grade. I liked the 500 yen symbolism as that was a really interesting idea in the first place as I always liked it in other media and only now seen this in an anime. All characters got a bit of focus which was well executed having in mind this is a 12 episode anime. All the good things from the first 6 episodes shouldn't be forgotten just because the rest didn't follow. If we set the ending aside I can't say the rest was completely disappointing either; I liked the quantum computer part, doctor's real intentions, Swindler becoming an akudama, Hoodlum reminiscing of Brawler just off the top of my head. It all should have been executed better, maybe if the show had more episodes (or Uchikoshi in the roster) or whatever still I might rewatch this when the uncensored version comes out to see how everything works together when binged.

All in all, it will be remembered as what studio Pierrot can do when they get serious.

Yep. It fits the bill though. Danganronpa THH was the first DR game and this was the first show for Akudama and they ended up similar. Obviously, Danganronpa has the better pacing due to being a video game.

Hopefully, they're going to pull of a SDR2 with the next one in the Akudama series if they ever continue it.
Jan 13, 2021 11:52 AM

Nov 2014
Pretty solid ending imo. All of them dying was somewhat expected - they had no chance for normal lives.
What I liked the most was how Swindler actually became swindler. Her first real swindle was lying that she is a swindler... but by the end she really manipulated people.
I just really wish some side parts were developed more: stuff like Executioners or Kanto opened interesting topics that were just left there.
JustAnotherShiroJan 13, 2021 12:54 PM
Jan 14, 2021 9:36 AM
Jan 2009
I didn't expect them all to die.. I'm not sure if Courier died too.
Jan 17, 2021 11:37 AM

Apr 2016
Man what a ride this anime was. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Swindler's death and the massive movement that sparked after, Courier's death.. holy shit, even though Courier's character, or any of the akudamas' characters, weren't too well developed I couldn't help but feel so sad about it all. This anime was really good for me.
Jan 18, 2021 5:02 PM
Dec 2019
Courier and Swindler were the goats. The open ends the Too Kyo Games developers go for continue to be a thing but I guess that's okay. I 100% support and respect developers committing to deaths, however I do wish there was a final episode with Courier and Swindler somehow alive. I'm aware that will effect the meaning of their deaths but I guess it's because it would at least salvage some part of me that wishes there was more that happened at the end. For example I have so many questions about the aftermath, and then when they were atop each other you could tell there was a romantic interest, and so it would help bring closure seeing something like that even if there are people who probably feel that's "wrong". There is a 5 minute extension releasing May of 2021 so maybe we'll see something fulfilling in it? It's no 13th episode or S2 but I'll take what I can get. Overall though it was a great show. Dipped a little in the middle but it finished epicly. Praying for the kids. D: As tribute, I have let Swindler Swindle her way to the top of my character list lolol
GloomisticJan 18, 2021 5:07 PM
Jan 21, 2021 12:42 AM

Oct 2008
truly marvellous and fantastic but at the same time emotionally sad!
5/5.
8/10.

Jan 23, 2021 10:54 PM

Aug 2017
So Swindler lived up to her name!!!

She caused an uprising in the last moments thanks to the Hacker's program!!

That little girl killing the Executioner was Dark AF!!!

Though a well deserved ending for those Executioners!!!

R.I.P Swindler and Courier.

Jan 25, 2021 4:09 AM
Mar 2016
Finally found my AOTY. Restored my recently dwindling faith in anime. More of this please and less of *those who shall not be named airing this spring*
Jan 25, 2021 4:08 PM

Jul 2019
First and last episode were the best. I believe it needed just a couple more to fully tell the story it wanted to tell, but that finale was truly great and delivered. Honestly would've loved to see this anime as 2 cours even, but luckily it didn't fall part despite getting pretty ambitious in the storytelling department at the end.

That aside, animation and direction sold the shit out of the story. I just can't believe Pierrot delivered so damn hard.
Jan 27, 2021 11:28 AM

Oct 2008
I'm still crying about the kids. I felt each hug omg they were so adorable. I can't do these shows where kids go through suffering they don't understand even why. After Grave of the fireflies and clannad it was all downhill for me. TT^TT

Jan 30, 2021 6:21 AM

May 2009
Jesus what a trainwreck. I kept watching since it had a lot of potential. But from the moment the children were in the show everything started to crumble.

A million holes in this story and the logic is rarely found. Such a shame.
These kids were made as an offering. For what? Why should I care? What is their purpose of being immortal and why should we feel sad for them? Why are they escaping and for what purpose, if theyre immortal anyway? Why does the MC care about random kids to an extent that does not make sense? All characters died, why exactly? To save two kids that we should care about? God this was infuriating.

4/10. Would have dropped it, if it gotten any worse ngl.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Jan 31, 2021 1:18 AM

Jul 2015
the plot is interesting but all the characters are too blank, I can't give a shit for any one of them. I can't believe you can love all those classic movies but make characters that blank.

Jan 31, 2021 6:10 PM
Aug 2010
Man what a wild ride. It's like playing Kingdom Hearts : the story is all over the place and you have no idea really what is going on exactly, but you really enjoyed every part of it. One of the best and most colorful artstyle I've seen so far for a series. 8/10
Feb 2, 2021 11:56 AM
Dec 2020
okay, it was kinda unexpected yet not the best i could want to..
the open ending kind-of-thing makes me remember the promised neverland's ending and it just, don't. the difference is that in this one, i don't know if there is going to be a second part and the more i think of it, the more i say it *will not* be a second part.

overall, the anime is something really candy to the eye. the animations, how the scenes changes, and the use of digital to make it alive is incredible.
i think of swindler as one of the best protagonist, i could say. she was pretty simple at the start, a no one, yet she became something.

also i believe this anime is just japan. brainwashing, covering deaths, the leaving the job? feeling happy for just being at home? all of that its a really opressing place overall, and i know im not japanese, but i know about the country a little to understand that its just all in there, if you can see it.

the catholic refferences tho, damn bitch.

this episode, a 6/10
yet the anime, a 9/10
i expect to see more !!
Feb 3, 2021 4:01 PM

May 2018
God, damn! Who were the true Akudama?

Should've been 13 eps instead of 12.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Feb 4, 2021 4:45 AM
Feb 2021
I honestly think episode 12 was the way to end it seriously. I knew that there was no such thing as a happy ending.

Didn't know Doctor was transgender - reading through the comments.

Hacker died in the way that it could be the best thing yet (for him).

Brawler died in the way that he had fun living it to the death.

Cutthroat was alittle eccentric for me, but I'm glad that he's gone.

Courier - oh my god perfect he says so badass

And Swindler died with no regrets.

To think since the executives are in an alley hiding away from the crowd - I'm starting to think they are the akudama now.

9.5/10 (the best!)
Feb 4, 2021 6:03 PM

Jan 2021
The ending was a bit disappointing not gonna lie but it wasn’t bad. I’m still kinda disappointed the way the show turned out. It could’ve been better it had a chance to actually be good. But 6/10 the animation was good. And I loved the characters I just personally didn’t like the storyline a lot.
Feb 6, 2021 9:47 PM

Nov 2019
A mix of Juuni Taisen and Kekkai Sensen.

An extended heist movie that manages to keep things briskly moving forward throughout its entire runtime.
Feb 8, 2021 9:14 AM
Dec 2015
I don't know how to express but this is the first anime that i would like to thank the creator creating these 7 characters. All of them just doing what they thinks is right since there is no right or wrong answer in the world, but there is always society's view - collective views that judge their thinking/method whether is right or wrong. Although is quite sad that Swindler and Courier are dead but they are the last two ppl that want and helps the kids to escape and ignite the 'never give up hope and dreams if only u really want to achieve". If 10 is the full score, i will give 10 although i don't like how the creator kill all 7 characters but is necessarily to show how small a sacrifices able to change the big society view.
Unfortunately, their glories will be hidden away from society as dead man tells no tales.
AsukakeikoFeb 8, 2021 9:22 AM
Feb 10, 2021 11:17 AM
Sep 2019
OH NOOOO!!!
Why do you have to die, an ending I really didn't want to accept
Feb 11, 2021 3:02 PM
Aug 2020
An opinionated explanation of the ending.

It seemed to have a lot of biblical symbolism and I think I missed a lot of it, from what I understand Swindler represented Christ with how the cutthroat could see her halo and her dying on the cross as a martyr.

You could argue that Swindler took after Christ in the fact that she was just an ordinary person driven to taking the path she thought was right. She plays off that her involvement was pure chance, but this is not so:

How many people in that city would have done the "right thing" and tried to return the 500 yen coin? This was just her first step down her path leading the people to the light.
(Notice how a point is made of the twins walking towards *the* light)

Swindler was a threat to the *false morality*, (better defined as the authorities'power) of kansai, and so this "ordinary person" was executed for all the world to see by the terrified authorities. (It's hard to miss the point of the cross she dies on and instead of being displayed on an actual crusifix it's displayed via tv)

Now what about courier's death? This puzzled me for a bit and I couldn't really find anyone with an explanation. But there is certainly a meaning to it. In the bible trees with no leaves generally mean hope and new beginnings, isn't that appropriate both in terms of the twins and kansai? It's not fair to say this show didn't have proper closure, it's all there if you look for it.

If you read this far you may notice some flaws in my reasoning or I may have missed some things. (I def missed A Lot). I didn't really start paying attention until the last couple episodes so I'll be interested to hear what people have to say about the earlier events of the series :)
Feb 13, 2021 10:28 AM
Jul 2018
Anime went from something funny to let's get serious shit real life into this. Why give a shameful expression like rioting and a fake government on this?
By the time the first one of the Akudamas (not memorable at all, poor Brawler) died, figured the direction for this production was turning to crap, same as the turning point of this trainwreck (Episode 11) of quantum nanomachines not even Hideo Kojima can asspull in one of his moviegames.
With the same budget and production it could work a better quality anime, but we are on the wrong multiverse.

5/10 for such quality disgrace
removed-userFeb 13, 2021 10:47 AM
Feb 13, 2021 8:24 PM
Oct 2018
it wasn't a bad ending but it wasn't a good ending either
Feb 19, 2021 7:56 AM

Feb 2018
Really? So they all died, and hanga left two loli?
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2020

171 by chidaru »»
May 28, 6:39 PM

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2020

121 by budliteyagami »»
May 13, 12:34 AM

» Am I the only person who felt like the show was a stretch?

AnimeLeviathan - Dec 24, 2020

7 by corporateremoval »»
May 3, 9:20 AM

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2020

173 by vhowl »»
Apr 21, 2:38 AM

Poll: » Akudama Drive Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2020

155 by ThalosShrine »»
Apr 15, 8:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.