Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 12, 2020 2:54 PM

Mar 2019
I don't know...tbh I am kinda disappointed in this episode...somehow everything is rushed again and sure Hina changed but there is not the sad feeling for me here.
And the Yota visit made everything even worse...let's put her more in pain by shouting. The best ending from my view would really be have seperated lifes.
Dec 12, 2020 2:54 PM
Aug 2020
they really didnt hold any punches this episode
Dec 12, 2020 3:19 PM

Jun 2017
Well apart from having a broken mind Hina's body still seems to be healthy....for now. She might even have a normal life at some point. (or they magically get the quantum computer back into her somehow)

I will be honest, I did not feel any sadness whatsoever, the writing is just all over the place to build any emotional investment. Compared to Angel Beats or Charlotte it's hard to believe this is from the same person.
Dec 12, 2020 3:44 PM
Jun 2019
the scene when Youta sat on a park bench, it made my heart hurt.
Dec 12, 2020 3:44 PM

Jun 2020
Now it's getting even more depressing, that was sad.

So the Hina that Youta and everyone else know is gone since the end of summer but Hina is still alive but she's afraid of men, really messed up I'm interested kn how it will end.

And also does Youta still love Izanami, it feels like he doesn't care anymore.
Dec 12, 2020 4:07 PM

Aug 2014
That this would be his sadest ever is wierd. I think this is the worst he ever did. Romance feel off and forced from no were. Also I feel nothing seing it. Not even a emotion. First episode was very fun though. I think this is a failure compared to all other ones.

Cant even compare against old stuff.
Dec 12, 2020 4:32 PM

Oct 2012
Hmm.. I dunno. I should probably feel sad but I didn't. That's due to failed character developement in the previous episodes. Also, the arrival of Hiroto felt like deus ex machina... why would they even allow it in the first place?

But then again, the overall mood of this episode was good I guess. We were back to slice-of-life in its first half and then we finally got to see him being slapped by the obvious reality (key coffee felt like weird product placement though and weird camera lens distorted scenes would further enforce the Truman Show theory - which is probably false anyway but whatever).

The writer-convient thing is that noone knows how this disease works. He can as well as cross her trauma and bring her back (and probably will back to her birth with some key magic) although it would be interesting to see how he makes her trust him again if that's even possible (no escaping the sanatorium in this state, that's for sure). One way to fight the destiny would be to steal the chip and either put it into his brain or back to hers (both would be really dangerous though and I doubt they would give it to him so freely).

But I really hope this won't turn into some action thriller to steal the chip.
Dec 12, 2020 4:43 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
After a couple of admittedly somewhat weak episodes, today's episode "Days That Pass By" is certainly a step up. It's definitely not without its problems—the rush is kinda noticeable here as with last episode—but the episode's last few scenes did actually make me feel the intended reaction here. I actually liked this episode for once.
Before I start describing what happened, I think it's important to note that the opening actually changes for this episode. The song is the same, but there are some new shots in place of shots of Suzuki on some ocean floor, the CEO, and some flowers. This time, there are some brief shots of Yota sitting sadly on a bench in the snow, a new character with green eyes who is later revealed in this episode as Shiba, a visiting researcher who shows Yota to Hina's room, and a quick montage of shots of some building which is revealed as the Yamada institute where Hina is being held. There seems to be some different lyrics and even some additional drum instrumentation here unless I'm wrong. Very interesting changes.

The countdown timer for "the end of the world" ended on the day Hina was taken away—the day of deicide.
Summer vacation is over. School is back in session with no face masks, social distancing, or shitty Zoom sessions in sight. Yota, Ashura, and Kyouko are back in school. But it seems that they made a new friend—the takoyaki-loving genius with gloves who "committed" deicide himself. The rush in this show makes this way here as Suzuki's new friendship with Yota and the gang feels like its being brushed away so fast that time literally flies by. Autumn arrives and leaves extremely fast as winter makes its way—oh wow, funny timing considering I recently made a thread where the MAL forums determined they wanted to see winter more in anime, huh? XD
Anyway, being practically braindead as always, Yota doesn't realize until practically the last minute (after the dropping of yet more Key coffee) that Suzuki was literally making him and the gang go through activities that they did with Hina. Suzuki got annoyed at his obliviousness and was purposely doing this so that Yota could bring up Hina into the conversation and therefore give Suzuki a reason to give him information. Yota gets caught up on information that we, the audience, learned in the last episode, and also learns that (surprisingly) Hina is still alive.

Thanks to Suzuki, Yota finds a way to meet her after so long, and...

...eventually finds the girl in a semi-vegetative state. It's kinda hard to believe that this is the girl who most people watching this show complained about for being so loud and bombastic. Could you believe that this is the girl who made the "I am so loli I could practically kill a virgin" line?
Something happened to her sometime before/after (?) her cranial surgery that made her act extremely fearful of Yota's shouting and when he tried to touch her hair. Poor thing. Looks like Yota understands what her father was talking about now.

Also, the appearance of snow gave me Kanon vibes, while Yota's constant narration in this episode gave me Uta∽Kata vibes. Very interesting.

✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶

KANLen09 said:
The OP has some scenes changed for the final quarter of events incoming, please DO NOT miss it!

If you wanna know the context to this, search up: "Jun Maeda heart transplant" and you'll understand how this story came to be.

Good to see I'm not the only one who noticed the changes for the opening.
Also, holy shit, when was this? I didn't know that Jun Maeda was suffering, poor guy...

Chiibi said:
Oh lord NO.

She's getting the full Misuzu treatment....complete with the unsightly haircut.

This definitely won't be as tragic for me as Air though. Cause I adored Misuzu the very second she came on screen. She's much quieter, cuter, and sweeter. Hina took a bit to grow on me since she's a little obnoxious at first.

But

Suzuki is the best character in this show. I love him so much. Needs his own spin-off. Fight me. xD

Ahahah, I thought I was the only one who was reminded of Misuzu... this reminded me of Ayu too.
Also yeah, I don't really get why people hate Suzuki. Not my favorite character, but he's not that bad.
Also...
Chiibi said:
Aw. People are sad. What to do....:|

Have a funny gif. I was also screaming at Youta at this point. xD

"He's trying to TELL YOU SOMETHING, YOU STUPID...."

yeah this lmao, I stg Yota is so braindead. I'm surprised Kyouko didn't notice this sooner either.

Mich666 said:
Hmm.. I dunno. I should probably feel sad but I didn't. That's due to failed character developement in the previous episodes.

I felt the same way for many of the sad episodes earlier on, but I do feel like this episode kinda works a bit more. Still would have liked for this show to work on character development and getting rid of its "rushed" nature more though.

✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶

"My confidence... is slipping away."

Dec 12, 2020 4:45 PM

Sep 2020
nanimeanswhat said:
Employee: “Don’t shout”
Yota: *shouts not once but twice*

I've got to agree with this.
The first time he shouted was understandable but the second time he shouted made me dislike Yota a little.
Dec 12, 2020 4:56 PM

Jun 2019
Youta being a dumbass for 20 minutes. He pouts and needs everything handed to him on a silver platter. He can’t follow simple instructions in the hospital either. The researcher told him that Hina is afraid of men and he still shouts with anger in front of her. I don’t care how emotional you are, that is just being inconsiderate of her condition.
Dec 12, 2020 5:38 PM

Jan 2011
charlotte 2.0 just slightly less rushed , i already know who i'm giving my most disappointing show award to

i have spoken
Dec 12, 2020 6:10 PM
Jun 2020
People talking about whether Youta cares about Izanami at this point. I don't even give a damn care about shipping wars anymore. The only thing I want from Jun Maeda is to give Hina her smile back once again before the series ends!😭
Dec 12, 2020 7:09 PM

Feb 2014
There's a god in every child. It's sad to see the one in Hina has died. Hope they give us some sort of a consolidating end.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Dec 12, 2020 7:10 PM

Sep 2014
That's one of the most depressing and heart breaking thing I've ever seen. Poor Hina.

Why living just to suffer? No one is here for her and she even forgot about the only person who cared about her.

That feeling of emptiness is striking me hard.

But wait, could it be even worse? Jesus f*ck Meada, calm down.
Dec 12, 2020 7:30 PM
Dec 2019
This show is literal crybait I swear. This was a pretty good episode, I liked the opening changes.
Wataru doesn't care about the genuine thing
Dec 12, 2020 7:31 PM

Apr 2008
This should be heartbreaking, but... eh? I like blatant tearjerkers fine, but I agree with those saying the characters didn't develop enough to make this hit. Yota's still a doof, and Hina never had much personality beyond her gimmick.
Dec 12, 2020 7:40 PM

Jul 2016
You sure sounded convincing there, Dr. Narukami. Very professional with all the shouting and stuff.

Also damn, hacker kid sure took his time with Youta and co.. Almost two whole seasons with them and he didn't even think of giving less ambiguous clues. Just imagine Youta finally finding out about his intentions but Hina was already long dead.

So as I expected, this series is beyond salvation right now. Pacing feels faster than ever and the writing is all over the place given this forced execution. At this point, this series is basically trying with all its might to push the supposed sadness and angst down the viewer's throat.
Dec 12, 2020 7:46 PM

Nov 2008
Mich666 said:
Hmm.. I dunno. I should probably feel sad but I didn't. That's due to failed character developement in the previous episodes. Also, the arrival of Hiroto felt like deus ex machina... why would they even allow it in the first place?

Because we NEED him in the show lol

Youta is just...really bland...from his personality even to his design...and this makes me sad because I normally looove Key lead characters....and ten episodes I don't feel like I know who this boy is. :/ His VA gives him a lot of character...but as a person...he's so meh.

But watching Suzuki Hiroto's scenes was far more interesting to me. I liked him since he was first introduced and at least we know who he is.

...maybe I'm the only one who feels that way. Heh, idc though.

Dec 12, 2020 8:46 PM

Jan 2017
Eh this was supposed to be a tear-jerking episode but with the barely development of the characters it feels bland tbh, even Hiroto feels like just a plot device rather than an actual character here
Dec 12, 2020 8:57 PM
Dec 2018
Guess I'll be the first one to stop ignoring the elephant in the room:

"She fears men to an extreme degree.
She must have gone through something awful before coming here."

Are they hinting that Hina was sexually abused?
Latest reviews: Mushoku Tensei P2 🤮 • Meikyuu Black Company 💰 • Tsukimichi 🌙
Dec 12, 2020 9:10 PM

Nov 2019
Only 2 episodes left, I think the tearjerker moment will be on last episode. It's when they came up together, finished the summer film and watched it together. That feeling of nostalgia is good enough for tearjerking moment. Let's see if this anime can surpass angel beats.
Dec 12, 2020 9:19 PM

Nov 2008
skysurf said:

Are they hinting that Hina was sexually abused?

I don't think Maeda would go there. If so, it feels VERY out of his element.

Characters do get hurt in his shows (normally it's physical abuse during childhood like Suzuki's or illness.) But NEVER has it been sexual.

A young girl getting her head shaved and cut wide open is probably traumatic enough...remember she's got to be brain-damaged now.

Dec 12, 2020 9:38 PM

Jul 2020
Looks like the next episode will be heart-wrenching as hell. Poor Hina. She didn't deserve this at all.

I accept random friend requests!
Dec 12, 2020 9:42 PM
Dec 2018
Chiibi said:
getting her head shaved and cut wide open is probably traumatic enough

The full line of the researcher is like this:

She must have gone through something awful before coming here.
And with the surgery, the poor girl has been through a lot.
So I believe life here, with our all-female staff, would be better for her."

The bolded part implies that the "something awful" mentioned is different from the surgery itself. And then you can't help but wonder: Why afraid of men only and not of people in general?

Hopefully I'm just reading too much between the lines.
Dec 12, 2020 9:49 PM

Nov 2008
@skysurf

It could be that the men handled her SO roughly that it scared her (beating her maybe?)...but I am merely guessing at this point. xD Also there weren't any women among the goons that grabbed her, to my recollection.

I don't think she was sexually abused. That's my gut feeling, anyway, just because of how the creator does his stories. It's something he's never included.
ChiibiDec 12, 2020 9:55 PM

Dec 12, 2020 10:49 PM

Dec 2018
It's supposed to be a sad episode but I didn't feel emotional at all. I do feel sorry at Hina current condition, but I still think Izanami story in just one episode is more better than Hina episodes.

Hina must be traumatized by what happen to her during the 'surgery', but she seems still able to speak and moving her legs with body normally since she was born with the Logos disease that make her can't even move/walk and speak.

Youta was a great male protagonist before... in this episode he seem like dislike able since he shout at poor Hina twice.... Hope he change that attitude sooner.

Dec 12, 2020 11:22 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Well, what a touchable episode.

The first part somehow made me mad. Such a wasted of time with those skipping time. One year passed without any proper progression. Damn! But, when, finally Youta realized that shit boy meaning, everything went to hit. Never expected before that Youta had a guts to see her conditions. But, its really needed. More importantly, Hina situations revealing so fast there. Jarring process seems to be like that.

Then, to my surprise, her conditions was not so bad, excluding her frighten against men, ofc. Everything seemed very fine to me. She even could sit well there. So, i had a guess that Youta might began his healing process toward Hina, soon. Because somehow, she still had a chance to live, normally.

A rehabilitation process to constructed her past memories, through an everlasting summer. Either its including their nice activity during the summer, making film, and such or even used directly with their sweet activity together. Well, idk. It might led into a passive method again like, yeah, just a visiting. However, i still bet my two cents, the miracle to make Hina rising up from her palsified state was still there, somewhere. So, i believed much, into their relations. Like, maybe, they, Youta, will make an upcoming summer as their new memories in order to regain Hina's past good memories. The same, identic, or even better. At least for making her smile again. As a normal girl, forgetting all of her mental and cerebral palsie illness. Either, its ended up in a succession or, a failure. I hope, Hina smile is the last order before the series end.

If not, hell, its really a sadness, for me. But, one thing for sure, Hiroto can just go to hell. His role obviously just a mere plot device without much impact to the story. He really didn't helped much with that kind of situations, and his behaviour that so full of question, somehow really irritating me. Especially with his annoying smile. What a jerk. He even called that little help as an atonement. You must be kidding me, right?

So, well, lets see the next!
badabassDec 12, 2020 11:56 PM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Dec 12, 2020 11:27 PM

Apr 2014
This was really heartbreaking. I had tears in my eyes when I saw Hina, now just an empty shell. Now Yota learns the true meaning of her father's words. I really hope for a miracle to happen and for Hina to get well. I really want Maeda Jun to give us a satisfying ending and that we will cry, but with tears of joy. No w I wonder how those who said that this series was disappointing feel about this episode.
Dec 12, 2020 11:30 PM

Oct 2020
i like hina character since first episode, she made me laugh so hard... but when i saw this episode... its really hurt me
Dec 12, 2020 11:57 PM

Apr 2020
Well...here it is...Hina's shell. The damned organizations had taken away her god powers and now she's back being a shell of her former self. It sucks that this anime hasn't made me cry yet but the pain and heartbreak of knowing that it's going to go downhill from here.

It really was weird that this episode skipped from September to January in a middle of 12 minutes, THAT WAS SOME PACING. And Suzuki (being a plot device) acted like Hina throughout the first half only for normie Yota to realize it when it was almost too late. So Yota is now at the sanatorium where Hina is kept and his reaction of seeing Hina is unspeakable. The employee warns him to not scream, but nope he did...TWICE.

Idk what to expect for the show's last 2 episodes. I know this is not going to the Charlotte route of a trainwreck. But the show has been really lackluster in its execution on drama. That's all I need to speak...before I go full-on negative.
Dec 13, 2020 1:16 AM

May 2020
This felt... underwhelming... I was really excited when Jun said this was going to be his "saddest work" but I never even teared up at all and that's with my expectations at the lowest and it still disappoints, the comedy in the show is hilarious tho no cap. This show started out very promising, but gradually became worse and worse imo, I hope the last 2 episodes improve because I can't see this being Jun's saddest work yet. Angel Beats is infinitely better and sadder.

Also Suzuki might be my favorite character in the show, no one has come close. Maybe Izanami, but I only like her cause she's really cute.
GilgameshuuDec 13, 2020 1:31 AM
Dec 13, 2020 1:23 AM
Feb 2018
i think this show will be much better if izanami is the main heroine.
Dec 13, 2020 3:40 AM

Nov 2018
whole week waiting for saturday to see half of the episode in boring sol time skip, really? I expected Hina to be somehwere in veggie state and scene sure was sad and uncomfortable but I definitely expected more :/
I do want to believe in Jun and see how next 2 episodes can make me really think this will be "the saddest anime ever" but too many things are off and even if I cried in the end of episode 9 I don't really feel anything here, but we shall see I guess
Dec 13, 2020 3:42 AM

Oct 2012
skysurf said:
The bolded part implies that the "something awful" mentioned is different from the surgery itself. And then you can't help but wonder: Why afraid of men only and not of people in general?

This has nothing to do with the surgery or her abduction, she was like this before the professor gave her an implant in the first place. It's heavily implied something has happened in her first seven years of life to trigger the Logos syndrome.

Fario-P said:
I felt the same way for many of the sad episodes earlier on, but I do feel like this episode kinda works a bit more. Still would have liked for this show to work on character development and getting rid of its "rushed" nature more though.

Well, when I think about it, it's actually quite funny. Becuase the only episodes with good flow were those where Hina wasn't the focus. ie. this one and the one with Izanami backstory. I almost want to say that it's another anime which Sakura Ayane ruined as main character but in truth the main problem is the writing, exposition, plot devices and logical flaws both here and also back then in Charlotte.
Mich666Dec 13, 2020 3:51 AM
Dec 13, 2020 4:27 AM

Feb 2020
That was surprising and sad.
I liked her Cute Fluffy Cheeks before
She is all shrunk up now.........

Let's see what happens next
Dec 13, 2020 4:54 AM

Jan 2018
Out of all the episodes, this one made me the saddest.
Dec 13, 2020 5:09 AM

Feb 2014
You know, I would like this show more if our male lead wasn't such a little bitch.
Shouting when he was clearly told not to and just making Hina's situation worse.
Dec 13, 2020 5:32 AM

Oct 2019
I'm so sad about Hina :((((((((((((((
BOŽE ČUVAJ HRVATSKU
Dec 13, 2020 5:45 AM

Oct 2016
I really like the changes in the OP, very depressing but, I like it. Damn, I do not like seeing Hina like that man. Though, I don't think this will become the "saddest anime ever" it's still a pretty good show.

At least Hina didn't die but damn. If she recovers she still has a chance to live a normal life... If she does recover. Looking forward to the next episode.
Dec 13, 2020 6:08 AM
Nov 2017
skysurf said:
Chiibi said:
getting her head shaved and cut wide open is probably traumatic enough

The full line of the researcher is like this:

She must have gone through something awful before coming here.
And with the surgery, the poor girl has been through a lot.
So I believe life here, with our all-female staff, would be better for her."

Hopefully I'm just reading too much between the lines.

Were man that took her away and probably had to physically repress her before the operation.They were probably shaving her hair in preparation. could also been males that did the operation.

Any serious brain surgery will have you lose your hair so it doesn't get in the way of the doctor and healing.

The "chip" they remove from her, so they could destroy it, was what made her the character we know. Lets not forget what the father said. She had a problem that got worse everyday and she should not be alive and talking if wasn't for the grandfather. Without it she should go back to her old self unless the writer made the chip healing her issue. Maybe what we see is only the trauma and not her old problem. Maybe with love and care she can return to a normal human but without the "god" powers.
Dec 13, 2020 6:48 AM

Aug 2017
Ringare said:
The sadness never ends... at least they teamed up to save her
I've been crying so hard that the cleaning lady thought an animal broke in the basement
Sah it's very sad
I lost my daughter in the same circumstances, this really hurt. At least now that she's gone I can work harder!! This was sadder in the anime anyway because of the music and because Hina is 10 times cuter than my daughter was...Also seeing her coughing sounded so funny I couldn't resist
Also Hina's voice was similar to the one my daughter had, its wrong to say but she sounded like GLaDOS it was very funny mdrrr
But this wan't as sad as when I had to hunt this anteater in 2003 in Africa during my business trip
wtfff is wrong with you
Dec 13, 2020 7:36 AM

Sep 2017
I figured she would be more vegetable like but she is pretty mobile. Still pretty messed up. Yota did a pretty bad job of keeping his cool in front of the research lady. Guess he is just a kid tho and that's not a situation I can relate with at all.
Dec 13, 2020 8:38 AM
Jul 2020
This episode exceeded my expectations...
They killed God... what s left is a wrecked vessel..
Such an underrated anime.
Just remembering Hina of the previous episodes , when you see the current Hina makes your heart break.
If these last two episodes are of this level , this will be one of those anime you can t get out of your mind for days after finishing it...

Okay so that s my first forum post..
May the God of anime be with you.. Peace!✌✌
Dec 13, 2020 8:49 AM
Dec 2018
Mich666 said:
she was like this before the professor gave her an implant in the first place. It's heavily implied something has happened in her first seven years of life to trigger the Logos syndrome.

If by "she was like this before" you mean extremely afraid of men (which is what I was talking about), then no, there has been no indication of that. Also, nothing "triggered" her illness, it has been explicitly said a few times that she was born like that.

Nikmomo93 said:
she seems still able to speak and moving her legs

She certainly seems better than we expected when the symptoms were described to us, but there was no indication that she can currently speak. Screaming out of fear doesn't count.

nocivo said:
The "chip" they remove from her, so they could destroy it

destroy it hide it (literally said) and analyze it. I like your theory that maybe the chip helped her heal physically and that she could regain an acceptable condition with loving care over time. It sounds like an asspull story-wise to be honest, but there have been worse illogical situations in this show so anything can happen.

Gothyx said:
wtfff is wrong with you

Just ignore or use the report button, don't engage. There are some seriously sick people around.
Dec 13, 2020 9:00 AM

Nov 2008
badabass said:

If not, hell, its really a sadness, for me. But, one thing for sure, Hiroto can just go to hell. His role obviously just a mere plot device without much impact to the story. He really didn't helped much with that kind of situations, and his behaviour that so full of question, somehow really irritating me. Especially with his annoying smile. What a jerk. He even called that little help as an atonement. You must be kidding me, right?

So, well, lets see the next!

Leave my boy alone >:(

1. He's been severely abused and treated like shit most of his life. You'd act the same way.
2. He was manipulated to do evil things; he had no choice in it.
3. They NEVER would have found Hina without him.

Dec 13, 2020 9:21 AM
Aug 2020
It wasn't joke when it was said that this show was going to be sad. Man, that scene with our seasonal loli was rough, hit really hard. I'm soo curious on how this gonna end!
Dec 13, 2020 10:12 AM

Apr 2015
I mean, what?

I don't know, but the pacing is all over the place, and it doesn't help how much wasted potential (not like there were many) in this series had gone to waste.

Also, this is honestly the worst show of the season. 2/10.

Come on, this episode had so much out-of-character exposition. Plus, Suzuki's character, alongside the whole CEO etc characters are wasted for this moment? Seriously?
Dec 13, 2020 10:16 AM
Dec 2020
When I started watch this episode, I already know what gonna happen, because the keys is already there: the chip is the one who sustain Hina and without it she will revert back to her old self. Even though I already prepared myself, when it happen damn! I reflexly punched the wall (I hope no neighbour hear it lol). What happen to Hina is cruel, she should run happily, eat, and make a movie with everyone else. Its no matter if she has a godlike ability, and I think the nations need to give her a chance first (learn about her first, is she truly a threat?), before resorting to this choice.
Dec 13, 2020 11:00 AM
Dec 2018
Chiibi said:
They NEVER would have found Hina without him.

But also the men in black wouldn't have caught her in the first place. It's ok if you like the hacker boy character for whatever reasons, but looking at it objectively it's undeniable that he's just a plot device that has added nothing to the story by himself.

As things are now, the writer could have literally swapped his character with any Evil Corp. middle-aged bright employee who finds Hina for the bad guys and later helps the MC boy to find her again out of remorse, and the story would have been exactly the same, without the need to waste time showing us an unrelated sobbing background story of this employee.

Just when were craving for the story to move forward after the cliffhanger on the previous episode, instead we got half of this episode 10 with filler "slice of life" content so the hacker boy could enjoy "normal" life for a while, as if we cared about his personal issues at this point of the story.
Dec 13, 2020 11:25 AM

Nov 2008
skysurf said:
Chiibi said:
They NEVER would have found Hina without him.

But also the men in black wouldn't have caught her in the first place. It's ok if you like the hacker boy character for whatever reasons, but looking at it objectively it's undeniable that he's just a plot device that has added nothing to the story by himself.

As things are now, the writer could have literally swapped his character with any Evil Corp. middle-aged bright employee who finds Hina for the bad guys and later helps the MC boy to find her again out of remorse, and the story would have been exactly the same, without the need to waste time showing us an unrelated sobbing background story of this employee.

Since they introduced him ALL the way back in episode 03, gave him ample screentime AND a personality, I simply cannot agree with that. I think of a 'plot device character' as something totally undeveloped, someone with no introduction who shows up for just a minute to change something major.

(The best example BS plot device thing I can think of at the moment was the butler waiting til the END of the second Sam Raimi Spider-man movie to tell Harry about his father lolwhut was that)

Suzuki was not treated this way though. He showed up early in the story and they used him well, not just for one tiny thing. Like I said, I feel like I know him better than BOTH Youta and Hina...and that's kinda weird since he's a side character.

Showing his backstory gave him humanity; this is how you get an audience to connect with a character. You really don't care about them unless you know who they are.

And you cannot switch him out with some nameless bad guy we don't know because Hina's treatment reflects Suzuki's past treatment which is why he snapped and rebelled against the corporation in the first place.

I think people are missing how "he doesn't just SUDDENLY feel sorry for her now because plot; this is about him taking revenge on the people who hurt him".

Just when were craving for the story to move forward after the cliffhanger on the previous episode, instead we got half of this episode 10 with filler "slice of life" content so the hacker boy could enjoy "normal" life for a while, as if we cared about his personal issues at this point of the story.

*shrugs*

To each their own.

I cared a lot about his issues and I still do. He's still the most intriguing character in this show.
ChiibiDec 13, 2020 12:01 PM

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kamisama ni Natta Hi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Dec 26, 2020

307 by Talamare »»
Jun 1, 12:51 AM

Poll: » Kamisama ni Natta Hi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2020

174 by Talamare »»
Jun 1, 12:30 AM

Poll: » Kamisama ni Natta Hi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2020

169 by Talamare »»
May 31, 11:24 PM

Poll: » Kamisama ni Natta Hi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2020

227 by stverc »»
May 25, 11:55 AM

Poll: » Kamisama ni Natta Hi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2020

126 by stverc »»
May 24, 4:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.