Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Dec 6, 2020 3:21 PM
Jul 2020
That was epic!!! Remember why Reiner is my fav character :)
As a non-manga reader, I've been told by others how dark, sad, and crazy good it'll be....but nobody mentioned how fucking hilarious gabi is lmao. She made me laugh a few times and idk if that's good or bad. She and Reiner are related right?? Seems like a good candidate for the armored titan. Like her a lot

I think the CGI was solid

I can't omg, the armored titan is still the coolest thing I've ever laid my eyes on

OP/ED are great I really like them; very different from how they were in the past. The OP be sounding like minions though

Bruh why didn't they show us Jean's face at the end
AryaleDec 6, 2020 3:29 PM
Dec 6, 2020 3:27 PM

Mar 2019
Pretty good episode. Most of the fun came when the titans started attacking. I think everyone except the beast titan looks good. Really liked the visual of Reiner transforming.

Op and Ed are great except I'm not really a fan of the visuals for the OP. It's very... basic. Maybe it will grow on me. I would have preferred seeing the old characters and some of the new characters doing stuff instead of a bunch of war scenes, but I guess you can't really show much without spoiling things to come.
Dec 6, 2020 3:29 PM

Mar 2016
Not really a fan of laggy cg but it's fine.
This was really the turning point in the manga where i fell in love with the series. World War 1 aesthetic always wins me over.
I do wish the reviewtards would cease, the review mods must be having a hard time deleting all of these fantastical and nonsensical reviews. Just because you read the manga doesn't mean you've seen the anime, stop.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Dec 6, 2020 3:29 PM

Apr 2018
the best CGI i ever seen

Dec 6, 2020 3:30 PM

Nov 2018
Literally I didn't understand a fucking THING that happened in this episode. Has my brain gone to absolute shit? Am I the only one who can't work out what the FUCK went on inbetween the end of the last season and this one?
Dec 6, 2020 3:33 PM

Sep 2012
I'm glad it's here. Show me more.
Dec 6, 2020 3:36 PM

Jan 2020
Damn, went a little overboard with the cgi huh? I mean the jaws and Armored looked good, but the Beast was pretty meh.

The OP's visuals were great, but the song was meh.

Loved Jean's teaser at the end.

Overall 9/10 episode (needs more hobo eren)

Dec 6, 2020 3:36 PM
Jul 2020
I don't care about technical stuff i enjoyed the epiosed and loved it so i am gonna say that it was amazing even tho i didn't like the colors but i think that i am going to get used to them also the op when i listened to it for the fiest time i didn't like it but i am starting to accept it.
Dec 6, 2020 3:38 PM

Nov 2018
The production was better than I expected, even if it's still a downgrade from WIT at their peak. The cg didn't look too bad honestly. The new op seems to be quite decisive, but I really like it. I'm very exited to see where the story goes from here.
"Otaku search for patterns within data presented and draw conclusions. Anime fans only see clones and copies."
-artificialnightsky
Dec 6, 2020 3:39 PM
Jun 2016
Really loved this episode. Watched it multiple times too, the second half was awesome.

The first half is great, sets up the entire political situation and context while keeping a steady pace. I expect the second episode will go more into the details to clarify topics dropped in this episode, such as the Paradis operation and Marley's current geopolitical status as a superpower. Although, I expect a rewatch of the last 3 or so episodes of season 3 part 2 is necessary to get the full picture of the entire underlying conflict.

But for a first episode we learn alot about the current geopolitical situation, Marleyan treatment of Eldians, the motivations of Gabi, Falco and crew, and what some of the other Warriors are up to.

Obviously the CGI was going to be controversial. I found 90% of it very good. Especially Jaws and most of Reiner (in fact that entire fight was hype). Beast looked weird at times. Either way, I welcome the change and think it will allow for more dynamic and intense fights (I felt WIT was losing steam throughout some of season 3, to the point Eren vs Reiner in S3P2 was very laggy and janky and felt like it was going at 10fps). But once again some people don't like CGI fundamentally, so can't knack them for an opinion, but to say AoT is now ruined for it is an overreaction in my opinion.

Having read the arc in the manga, it's my favorite, so I'm looking forward to see how Mappa adapts the rest. I'm pleasantly surprised by how well they handled the first episode :)
Dec 6, 2020 3:39 PM

Apr 2019
So this episode focused on Marley vs some other people on the main island (middle eastern forces or something) seems marley won but at the cost of Reiner? Gabi is going to inherit the Armored Titan I guess... OP and ED were decent, not bad. Looks as if MAPPA just found out about particle effects lol...

Dec 6, 2020 3:46 PM

Jul 2014
Ayaneru voicing another best girl <3, what a time to be alive! Seriously, one episode and I already love Gabi so much, she's great.

Falco saying he was flying around with a sword hmmm...

I have to say that I was quite lost until Zeke and Reiner took action and I more or less guessed that this was sometime in the future. Of course then the comments confirmed this for me.

Amazing first episode. I was worried about the change of studio but so far so good. Very excited to have this series back!
Dec 6, 2020 3:48 PM

Mar 2016
It was a very underwhelming presentation for me, personally, but at least nothing akin to a complete waste. The OP sounded awful to me, and the ED is just there. At this point, while I can praise the MAPPA aesthetics here for itself, I personally don't feel like it really captures the tension and conflict like Wit Studio did. At least the CGI was much better than how Wit handled that department and isn't that bad, though it takes away from the visual impact at times.
Frankly I wasn't a fan of how everything story-wise went down after season 3, if anything.
Nov 2020
BenRyan said:
Literally I didn't understand a fucking THING that happened in this episode. Has my brain gone to absolute shit? Am I the only one who can't work out what the FUCK went on inbetween the end of the last season and this one?

I think it's alright to be a bit confused. But just by going off the details of what we saw in this episode, Magath, the person who was leading the troops in the field alongside Colt (the potential Warrior candidate for the Beast Titan), said that it's been 9 years since the initial operation on Paradis Island. We know that Reiner, Annie and Bert stayed in the walls for 5 years. So, it's been about 4 years since the ocean scene (S3 P2's end).

Zeke states that Reiner and his loss at Paradis caused this war. So we can assume that they entered into a war with this "Middle-Eastern Union" after their loss at Paradis. This entire episode was the last battle of the war, solidifying Marley's win but at the cost of the Armored Titan.

Meanwhile, the new Warrior recruits, Gabi, Falco, Udo and Zofia are tasked with entering the battlefield and proving themselves worthy of attaining the power of the Armored Titan as the successor to Reiner (we can assume 13-year timespan is close to being up).
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Wasnt there already a lot of CG on previous season though?
Sure not for everything, but the tall titan was for sure mostly CGed.
Dec 2020
Great Job MAPPA!👏Love it so much
Dec 6, 2020 3:49 PM
May 2019
mooshyloo said:
The episode was ok, new chars are boring, plot is ok.
I made a video with my thoughts on it tho! https://youtu.be/44jicYn9K30
dislike goes brrrr
Dec 6, 2020 3:51 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Ryuseishun said:
It was a very underwhelming presentation for me, personally, but at least nothing akin to a complete waste. The OP sounded awful to me, and the ED is just there. At this point, while I can praise the MAPPA aesthetics here for itself, I personally don't feel like it really captures the tension and conflict like Wit Studio did. At least the CGI was much better than how Wit handled that department and isn't that bad, though it takes away from the visual impact at times.
Frankly I wasn't a fan of how everything story-wise went down after season 3, if anything.
I feel the same but way worse. I never liked SnK but at least I never fell asleep watching it. This episode felt like a B-grade action flick compared to Wit's version.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Dec 6, 2020 3:52 PM

Aug 2018
That was fucking amazing, very good start to the season.
CGI was great, 2d was great, music was great, everything was really fucking good.
MAPPA is gonna make this fucking amazing.
I use Arch, btw.
Dec 6, 2020 3:54 PM

Jul 2020
Overall the episode was pretty good imo. The only things I'm not too sure about are the change in art style, the use of cgi, and the op. But I can get used to the first two and the op doesn't really affect the story.
Dec 6, 2020 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
SirTristram said:
Fax001s said:
Yeah, you can see the incredible effort they put and they absolutely delivered, one of the most hype episodes of SNK imo however i agree the potential it had was so much bigger. Well, it is what it is. I'm not mad at all tough just sad for the staff and the horrible schedule

I didn't like the ep at all for the similar reasons that posted above, but it was obvious the issues were a result of time constraints and not the laziness of the staff. This season will be way controversial than the PV and will split the fandom in two unfortunately.

OPM S2 and 7DS about the happen again if there will be decrease in the quality, like always do in anime production.

what did u think of the cgi
Dec 6, 2020 3:55 PM

Aug 2016
Season 3 part 2 was really strong all the way through, and comparing it to that, episode one of the final season is good but a step down. Part of it has to do with investment. I don't know these characters yet, and 3 part 2 felt like a climax for most of our main cast. And the time skip is slightly disorientating. There has been a lot of hype for this final bit of the series, so I'm hoping it improves. I have no reason yet to think it won't.

Dec 6, 2020 3:57 PM
Nov 2020
cchigu said:
Ryuseishun said:
I feel the same but way worse. I never liked SnK but at least I never fell asleep watching it. This episode felt like a B-grade action flick compared to Wit's version.

If you're not a fan of SNK up until this point, I doubt Season 4 will present much to change your mind. It takes the elements already presented and really goes to town on them but I wouldn't expect much from it if the past three seasons have been enjoyable just enough to prevent you from falling asleep.
Dec 6, 2020 3:57 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
I really enjoyed this episode. I could tell the titans were cgi but I don't think it was that bad. It'll just take time getting used to.

I really like the ending from what we've seen but I have mixed feelings on the opening so far. I thought the visuals were unique and cool but the song still needs to grow on me.

I'm also really glad they used the ost from the trailer during this episode. Unreal hype. I'm so glad this series is back

Dec 6, 2020 3:59 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
DanBuk said:
cchigu said:

If you're not a fan of SNK up until this point, I doubt Season 4 will present much to change your mind. It takes the elements already presented and really goes to town on them but I wouldn't expect much from it if the past three seasons have been enjoyable just enough to prevent you from falling asleep.
I am not expecting to change my mind. Welp, let's not try to be too negative and see how the show unfolds.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Dec 6, 2020 4:00 PM

Jun 2020
Bro... that was absolutely insane. The animation is a bit of a step-down but I don't mind. I loved the OP & ED as well... all out fucking chaos. Kept me at the edge of my seat.
Dec 6, 2020 4:02 PM

Aug 2020
we just need to get used to it
Dec 6, 2020 4:02 PM

Sep 2018
chiearlymorning said:
what did u think of the cgi

CGI was the best thing about the episode lmao. It was slightly worse than the best anime can offer for CGI, which still sucks imho.

People calling previous seasons' colossal ps1 graphics finally upgraded to the ps2 beast titan.
Dec 6, 2020 4:03 PM

Feb 2019
“More walls. I’m sick and tired of walls” Fucking goosebumps bro. Holy shit

Bro if the 8/10 chapters are this good, imagine when the 10/10 shit gets adapted. My penis can only get so erect.

I thought everything was great. People shitting on the OP but I love it, it’s trippy. The ED is easily the best of the series for me.
Dec 6, 2020 4:03 PM

Jul 2020
The characters were interesting, a bit on the bland side so far.
The mystery is unfolding well, can't wait to see the old guys again.
The animation was great, some inconsistencies.
Music was also amazing, I like the new battle theme, OP and ED.

バンの一味
Dec 6, 2020 4:05 PM
Feb 2020
I'll give 8/10 for now
Dec 6, 2020 4:17 PM

Sep 2020
Can we all agree that everything from the Eldians being used as pure titan weaponry and being dropped from the blimp to Reiner transforming was 11/10 peak fiction?
Dec 6, 2020 4:20 PM

Aug 2020
It was great.
Personally i like the CG.

For those who see the Titan animation looks a bit eeeaaghhhh..
Yeah just need to get used to this new animation style.
PatNDec 6, 2020 6:07 PM
Dec 6, 2020 4:20 PM
Sep 2018
Well can't really says anything about it. But seems like MAPPA want to say that it was their show now not WIT, from that reason alone make me want to see what happens next.
Dec 6, 2020 4:25 PM
Oct 2019
Introduction to many new Characters....
So Marley been war with another Country???
Looks like they have a good weapon like a Tank that can even destroyed Titan...

They said it's already been 4 years war with this federation, i think it start after Zeke and Reiner lose the battle on Paradise...

So we see they dropped many Eldians then turn them into Mindless titan, now we understand how Zeke did that in Season 3 Part 2...

CGI looks great i didn't even notice it at all on the Titan... MAPPA you doing Good!!!
Dec 6, 2020 4:26 PM

Jun 2016
Actually liked a lot how they adapted the chapters, plus the cgi was decent and even better than WIT's. I understand that people are let down by the fact that this time it wont be only the colossal titan to be animated that way, but honestly saying the season is shit and that MAPPA did a terrible job just for that .. c'mon..

The opening gives off some creepy vibes, the part with the soldiers marching and the attack titan at the end were cool but yeah they could have put some characters too instead of showing only explosions for the most of it. As for the song i think it's okay but not too special. Same about the ending.

I really thought this was going to be worse with all the rumors about the production but i'm very satisfied with this episode, at least. Hope the quality continues for the rest of the season.
Dec 6, 2020 4:28 PM
Jul 2018
pretty boring af. found myself falling asleep while watching.
Dec 6, 2020 4:29 PM
Feb 2016
I enjoyed the episode, but I must say that the CGI is really offputting at times. I miss when the smaller titans were hand drawn (colossal titan I can understand their reasonings for CGI on him), they just look weird in a majority of the shots. I just hope we get some fire animations during the fights, and imma be real disappointed if this adaptation ends up being worse than WIT's previous 3 seasons

8.5/10
Dec 6, 2020 4:32 PM

May 2009
Good start. CGI was better than average for tv anime standards, probably same outsourcing cgi studio as Dorohedoro's.
Dec 6, 2020 4:32 PM
Jun 2020
hmmmmmmm pretty good. can't wait for next ep!!!!!!!!1! MAPPA did a very good job on the animation hjfsdfgsadjfhashdgfsd ily MAPPA
Dec 6, 2020 4:33 PM
Jun 2017
Well that was amazing!!

I really love all of it: the animation, direction, script, soundtrack, even the CG!! My only problem is the opening. I like the song, and the idea of the OP, but the animation feels a little bland and empty tbh. I hope they add new elements to it throughout the season.
Dec 6, 2020 4:35 PM
Apr 2016
MAPPA's gonna do a good job, no doubt! The atmosphere was AOT-ish, so that's good. Looking forward to this!
Dec 6, 2020 4:36 PM

May 2020
I was hoping it would change my mind a little about the anime, but... nop, the good ol same SNK, good anime on the overall, but i just cant like it, animation was the same as always, CGI was looking terrible, worth watching, just not my personal taste, people just seem to overlook the anime, and fanbase is kinda blind to the many mistakes in the show
(sorry for any typos)
Listen to: mac miller- circles
Dec 6, 2020 4:41 PM

Oct 2017
Honestly in general it is kinda unforunate about the CG titans because honestly I think MAPPA is outdoing WIT in every facet outside of that. The character designs, explosions, charge for FT Zlava (compare it to other series like Tanya that looks so much better how they did it) was all great. Titans themselves though more iffy. Cart and Jaw looked fine as well as most of the normal titans Armoured had moments of looking okay but also obviously CG (looks better in stills) and the Beast looked iffy.

In large I am happy with the adaption but if maybe the production committee had held off etc they could have 2D animated some of the titans scene and made it a truly exception adaption. Still the CGI is better than yeah most stuff I have seen which I guess is a win for progress in the anime industry but at best it just looks similar enough to the 2D scenes as well as worse.

Oh yeah also the OP probably I think the best we had since S2. Ending was also great still like the first Ed the most but still one of the better ones. I think it was the right decision not to bring back LH and have a more eerie OP. Fits the tone better.

Edit: I think in large as a manga reader I still am going to enjoy the adaption and have a ton of fun with it. I hope most anime onlys will too.
BilboBaggins365Dec 6, 2020 4:48 PM
Dec 6, 2020 4:43 PM

Jan 2016
As someone who has not read the manga, I'm very confused. Is there an OVA or movie missing between Seasons 3 and 4? I can't tell if what we just saw was a flashback or something happening in present time.

That aside, I think the animation is good. Different, yes, but still quite good. Not too keen on the opening however, it's a bit lacking.
Dec 6, 2020 4:45 PM

Oct 2017
hiddenhokage said:
As someone who has not read the manga, I'm very confused. Is there an OVA or movie missing between Seasons 3 and 4? I can't tell if what we just saw was a flashback or something happening in present time.

That aside, I think the animation is good. Different, yes, but still quite good. Not too keen on the opening however, it's a bit lacking.

No this is exactly how it was in the manga. Most of this early arc is going to focus on Marley the warriors and the impact the events of S1-3 had on the world. Characters like Gabi and Falco play huge roles in the last two arcs. Reiner is going to be kinda the MC for this arc. Also I mean the character look older but yeah this is a timeskip from S3 Part 2 timeskip 3 years ahead from the last timeskip (last episode which was a year) and 4 since the main events of the story.
Dec 6, 2020 4:45 PM

Feb 2020
(just a note: i haven't read the manga)

an interesting first ep!! i didn't expect them to focus entirely on marley, it was odd not seeing my crew (with the exception of jean at the end ayyy) but the action was still solid and the new characters were introduced pretty well

i feel like i have forgotten everything we learned about the marley and eldian conflict from s3 and i only just watched it oops

questions i have are... is reiner dead? what has happened in the last 4 years? also falco mentioned something about swinging in the air with a sword (he looks a little like armin unless i'm just thinking that)? and most importantly where is levi <3

can't wait for next week! don't know how i will wait so long!!!!
Dec 6, 2020 4:49 PM

Feb 2020
DanBuk said:
BenRyan said:

I think it's alright to be a bit confused. But just by going off the details of what we saw in this episode, Magath, the person who was leading the troops in the field alongside Colt (the potential Warrior candidate for the Beast Titan), said that it's been 9 years since the initial operation on Paradis Island. We know that Reiner, Annie and Bert stayed in the walls for 5 years. So, it's been about 4 years since the ocean scene (S3 P2's end).

Zeke states that Reiner and his loss at Paradis caused this war. So we can assume that they entered into a war with this "Middle-Eastern Union" after their loss at Paradis. This entire episode was the last battle of the war, solidifying Marley's win but at the cost of the Armored Titan.

Meanwhile, the new Warrior recruits, Gabi, Falco, Udo and Zofia are tasked with entering the battlefield and proving themselves worthy of attaining the power of the Armored Titan as the successor to Reiner (we can assume 13-year timespan is close to being up).

thank you for this!! it made everything click in my head
Dec 6, 2020 4:50 PM
May 2018
I thought this was a solid first episode, and it adapted the precise amount of material that I hoped it would. Even if they were a little distracting at times, the CG titans all looked fine to me apart from the Beast, so I should be able to get used to them.

Although it has been divisive, I actually quite liked the OP. Tonally, I think it's a lot more appropriate than what another Linked Horizon song probably would have been, it didn't really spoil anything, and the unsettling tone just clicked with me.
Dec 6, 2020 4:50 PM
Feb 2019
Attack on titan is probably my favorite anime series of all time so it pains me to say it but I think this season will be ruined by CGI, it's too obvious and jarring. Why why why why why would they change the studio for the final season? Maybe this season is going to have so much action that they couldn't make all of it hand drawn but I just can't enjoy CGI titan fights. Hopefully it will be used sparingly for the rest of the season but I don't have any confidence after this episode. For what it's worth the rest of the episode is fine but I can't stand the CGI, especially after how good the hand drawn titans were the last 3 seasons.
Pages (20) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 28, 2021

695 by catscho »»
Aug 18, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 21, 2021

466 by HagePotPotato »»
Jul 28, 3:34 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 7, 2021

514 by HagePotPotato »»
Jul 28, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Feb 28, 2021

426 by HagePotPotato »»
Jul 28, 11:36 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jan 31, 2021

820 by HagePotPotato »»
Jul 27, 11:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.