Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2020 4:00 AM

Apr 2017
Aniik8pv2 said:
pretty sweet first episode
i did notice that the character movements looked really smooth, or was it just me?

Yhp, character acting at its best!! It was for sure the best part in terms of animation.
Apr 5, 2020 4:03 AM

Dec 2015
This was okay...
Apart from the "story" (that will certainly stumble thanks to the episodes count), this is near undistinguishable from what comes out today, though. At least, the oversimplification of the characters provided a few nicely animated things. (what a consolation...)

Or how to get from the instantly recognizable style of Tôme to the most insipid characters look that would be lost among today's mass produced series.

3/5 i'll be watching only because I can't buy back the tomes anymore.

@White_Coffee What do you mean by 90s charm of the manga's art? The mangaka has always had a certain style, that was already "apart" in the early 2000s. Sure, there was progression in the technique but it's still easy to recognize in more recent works. (unlike the chara-design here, that has nothing peculiar)

Was it never released in the USA? o_o (we got most of Tôme's works during my highschool years over here, some one-shots collections included)
Apr 5, 2020 4:13 AM

Nov 2017
Hmm idk but Im smiling after watch this anime :)

Apr 5, 2020 4:26 AM
Aug 2018
slice of life vibes :)
Apr 5, 2020 5:07 AM
Feb 2015
Good Slow Anime.

Haru looks like Mayuri Shiina.
Apr 5, 2020 5:22 AM

Dec 2008
First episode was nice, slow, not rushed.
Apr 5, 2020 6:17 AM

Feb 2014
serusa94 said:
Im rooting for this smile

PROTECC THAT SMILE!!
This show brings back those WA vibes. Really soothing and nostalgic.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Apr 5, 2020 6:36 AM

May 2015
I really like this show (well at least after 1 episode).

HOping that this will stay good for rest of season/full story.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Apr 5, 2020 6:48 AM

May 2012
Meh, It is mediocre

For people who read the source material, can you tell is there is going to be drama like some conflicts between the sensie and the student ?? I don't like light-heated anime. I prefer anime that has darker side and conflicts.
Apr 5, 2020 7:14 AM

Oct 2008
Is this gonne be roller coaster of emotions? then i'm in!
i like the mellow drama of this one!
and the art style fits perfectly!
5/5.

Apr 5, 2020 7:22 AM

May 2019
I really like this so far; the series' characterisation and world-building fit in nicely. The setting revolves arounda dn is shaped by the characters, who craft their own personal 'space' within the world. I love this archetype.

To expand a bit on that, some other similar texts are Sangatu no lion and Beastars, and - coincidentally or not - Legosi and Kiriyama really remind me of the protagonist, too.

This should be interesting.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Apr 5, 2020 7:25 AM

Sep 2015
Judging from my previous experiences with shows with similar premise; This will either ends up among my favorite shows or I will end up hating it to no end. Nothing in between.
Apr 5, 2020 8:12 AM

Aug 2019
Really nice first episode. Gets points for an adult cast and not forced drama, at least for now. Even with quite a few things happening, the overall vibe was very relaxing.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
Apr 5, 2020 9:13 AM

Dec 2015
This was the best first episode this season. A lot more than I had expected and together with Arte (also better than expected) a hard to beat duo of two strong anime - and still other stuff I'm waiting for not aired yet. I guess I'll just be more harsh with the overly fancy and weird stuff and dropping that early. (Already liked Listeners less than expected and giving Gleipnir a try but not expecting much there.)

This calm normal stuff with interesting mature chars ... I like it. The main and the younger girl are great. I already feared when I saw there is a younger boy as well. MAL page for him has a bit spoilers already though ... might take an interesting turn - this show.

I hope for main char + younger girl pairing or no pairings at all in the end (where they just help each other grow but later getting a timeskip with totally different love interests or them staying single in the last episode).

I don't know the manga - but I hope for a full adaption. Is it possible with the current pacign with 12+6 full episodes (if the other 6 are full episodes as well)?
Apr 5, 2020 9:15 AM

Dec 2019
the character animation was stunning, everything about this felt amazing and I can't wait for more
Apr 5, 2020 12:07 PM

Jun 2013
Really really fantastic start!
Apr 5, 2020 12:39 PM

May 2018
Oh another one of those older guy to younger girl kind of relationship.
Apr 5, 2020 3:47 PM

Jul 2010
I've never read the manga, so this is my first take on this series.

I liked it. It feels nice watching a slice of life with non-teenager characters once in a while, especially because I'm a young adult myself and I can relate more.

I didn't like that crow-girl. She's that typical immature, annoying girl, but not the fun type. I'm sure this will affect my taste for this anime, but oh well.

And I must say, I love Japanese culture with everything I've got but man, Japanese people are so retarded in some aspects. What's the problem if the girl had a part-time job at a bar? In Portuguese/European standards, it wouldn't be a problem at all, but in Japan they actually expel a student because she's got a part-time job in order to get some extra money. I know there are a lot of Japanese schools that won't let students have any type of part-time jobs (which is even more stupid), or even date! I mean, c'mon ahah.
Apr 5, 2020 6:22 PM
Feb 2020
Loved this episode. Really digging the feeling of the show and the characters are very realistic. Its got a Welcome to the NHK vibe which I really like. Very interested to see how this show will turn out to be. Also the art style and overall aesthetic fit really well.

5/5 start
Apr 5, 2020 6:57 PM

May 2014
Anyone know the ED song?
Apr 5, 2020 7:30 PM
Feb 2018
Really nice first episode. Crow girl appears everywhere. This man is not safe. Really interested to see. So far I actually have no idea where the story will go from here onwards. This will be an interesting watch.
Apr 5, 2020 8:37 PM
Sep 2019
My favorite anime of this season so far...

Will be watching more but so far I like it
Apr 5, 2020 8:49 PM

Jun 2016
Apathetic guy smoking on the park bench next to a short-haired girl

THIS IS A GODDAMN CONSPIRATION
Apr 5, 2020 8:50 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
That first episode hit me like a load of bricks. I totally understand how the main character feels; this episode did a great job of capturing his current ennui, then spun it up into some cotton candy hope that maybe he'll find a spark of love, only to have the hope just melt away. It's moments like those that really just kill your soul.

I'm not buying the older girl's "let's be friends." Not sure where this will take things, but my experience is a girl saying that is honest about as often as when you answer "fine" and mean it when someone asks "How are you?"
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Apr 5, 2020 9:22 PM
Dec 2018
It's honestly quite refreshing to have a slice of life which does not take place in high school. I'm looking forward to what this series has to offer.
Apr 5, 2020 9:44 PM
Aug 2011
In the past year i've tried to read this manga like 5 times and could never get past 3 chapters of it.
For me the visuals here are infinitely better than whatever the manga was doing and that's what I look for in anime.

I've always seen some lukewarm reactions from people that have finished the manga so maybe Doga Kobo can also give the story a lift where it drags or whatever.
Apr 5, 2020 9:45 PM

May 2014
Never read the source material so didn't know what to expect, but it was pretty good. Nice music, animation was kinda meh though. Haru seems like your typical young manic pixie dream girl, at least she has a cool character design. I like all the other characters though, they seem realistic and act like people I'd know in RL.
Apr 5, 2020 10:23 PM

Feb 2019
This looks a lot like True Tears, even the girl with the thing for hens (crows in this case) is very similar.
This is one of those melodramatic things about characters with no character dealing with the melancholy of existence without making any waves via trying their hardest to not pursue their dreams or ambitions. To get a frame for this, the manic pixie dream girl of the story is such because she smiles a lot and has a crow for a pet. The bar for living life to its fullest is not set high.

Nor, of course, is there anything you'd find in a western drama, like soap opery conflict, a corny meet-cute, snappy dialogue, or any kind of ongoing story. Sullen boy meets wacky girl. That is the start, middle, and end, with only occasionally some elevator music to lull to sleep. It is also a very dark show. As in the lighting is frequently bad. If the director had more ambition, they would have probably created tons of bloom whenever the manic pixie girl showed up to accentuate how she brings life to the world, but even that would probably be more excitement than this cares to offer.
Apr 5, 2020 10:23 PM

Aug 2013
This is going to be a tear jerker for SURE! And I’m so ready for it
Apr 5, 2020 10:29 PM

Oct 2017
That rejection made it feel like I got rejected
Apr 5, 2020 10:50 PM

May 2012
actually interested to see where this one goes
Apr 5, 2020 11:58 PM
Apr 2018
I'm obsessed with the animation! Oh gosh this is so refreshing to watch, my favorite first episode so far this season!
Apr 6, 2020 12:35 AM

Oct 2018
Now this is a pretty good start, this anime looks promising!
Apr 6, 2020 12:51 AM

Apr 2015
It's always such a nice change to have an Anime in your watching line-up that feels very realistic! Eventho I didn't plan on watching this at all at first..

I am hooked, art style is really nice, setting is realistic and this girl Haru is best girl material from the very start!
Apr 6, 2020 1:07 AM

Mar 2017
Why can I only hear Legosi from Beastars when the MC is talking xD Cute anime, tho
They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But in spite of that, why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me. It says 'Search for Paradise!' "
*Wolf's Rain, Episode 30; Kiba*
Apr 6, 2020 1:11 AM
Aug 2017
real nice first ep. loved the mc and the energetic girl. gives the same vibes as just because and im loving it
Apr 6, 2020 3:28 AM

Jul 2017
Coming-of-age shows are one that tend with mixed views, but with this one I'm damn impressed.

Tackling at college students in their prime of starting out at jobs (which I'm whom of that target audience), I'd say this application was quite realistic. The girl (Haru) with the crow definitely has vibes from True Tears of course. As with MC Rikou, it's clear that reeling in with a relationship is as clueless as his current life, as much as he has a crush, and just for posterior reasons to put in a facade.

The rejections of love are as similar as the rejections of life, and unfortunately Rikou is a character I can relate to to put off things until later, only to get damaged excruciatingly bad rather than press the issue at hand back when things can be done.

The old manga touché with modern Doga Kobo animation, that was quite sublime and surreal. OST kicks in the relaxing mood which helps as well.

Can see myself being invested in this quite heavily. A good start.
KANLen09Apr 6, 2020 3:45 AM
Apr 6, 2020 4:09 AM

Apr 2018
MC is me but luckier. I already love this anime.
Apr 6, 2020 4:40 AM
Dec 2017
Doga Kobo where are you hiding cute girls that are doing cute things?
I like that they decided to try something different, and this was a good first episode.
Apr 6, 2020 5:16 AM
Apr 2020
I think....I am in there
Apr 6, 2020 6:06 AM

Feb 2014
Slice Of Life is one of my favourite genres in anime, but most of them involve character during their middle school or high school prime. So seeing one involving college students and graduates is a rare thing for me, so I had to give this show a watch.

My thoughts on the first episode? I think it was really good. Doga Kobo is showing how good their art and animation skills can be and it really showed in this first episode. everything looked really crisp and consistent everywhere.

As for the characters, they're also good as well. Haru's already my favourite, with her rather charming personality, nice looks, good choice in her clothes and that cute smile of hers. =D

Her looks and personality quirk does remind me a little of Noe from True Tears, so that might be another reason why I'm liking her pretty quickly. ^_^

I looking forward to seeing how much character development that Haru, Rikuo and Shinako will get in this 12 episode series. Very good start indeed!

Sondfer said:
Doga Kobo where are you hiding cute girls that are doing cute things?
I like that they decided to try something different, and this was a good first episode.

Doga Kobo IS also showing a CGDCT show this season as well. Houkago Teibou Nisshi is the show's name, which involves fishing. I think this is the first time I've seen Doga Kobo showing two shows in the same season, if memory serves me well.

I do like them for their CGDCT type of anime, but it's nice to see them doing other genres, too. =)
Apr 6, 2020 6:19 AM

Apr 2019
Loved it. The animation is really good, story line seems good enough. And since I like seinen more than shounen, I've got high hopes for this one.

alpha_shadow said:
I can't believe how slow and boring this was. It felt like I was watching it in slow motion or something. Dropped.

Woah.....seems like time moves at Lightspeed for you. And seeing your anime list, seems like you're not an anime lover, but an anime judger.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenApr 14, 2020 6:13 AM
Rem is best girl
Apr 6, 2020 6:50 AM

Sep 2019
Really excellent first episode. Very nice SoL with adult cast. I can already relate to the characters.
Apr 6, 2020 7:05 AM

Jun 2014
Shizokami said:
alpha_shadow said:
I can't believe how slow and boring this was. It felt like I was watching it in slow motion or something. Dropped.

Woah.....seems like time moves at Lightspeed for you. And seeing your anime list, seems like you're not an anime lover, but an anime judger.

Hey there bub, you probably won't even care about anime in 5 years from now so you should shut up, fake anime fans like you piss me off. Yes, some people actually use their brains and it's your problem if you have low standards.
:3
Apr 6, 2020 7:14 AM

Apr 2019
alpha_shadow said:
Shizokami said:

Hey there bub, you probably won't even care about anime in 5 years from now so you should shut up, fake anime fans like you piss me off. Yes, some people actually use their brains and it's your problem if you have low standards.

Like you have any right to judge me as a "fake" anime fan when you've never watched an anime that you couldn't stand till the very end. In fact, you are a fake anime fan who just watch anime on whim rather than actually getting to know the anime. And talking about standards, how the hell have you the right to set "standards" to something that you could never do, huh? Atleast try to admire the work by removing this "standard" bullshit from your mind.
Rem is best girl
Apr 6, 2020 7:43 AM

Nov 2015
poor guy, I was pretty sure that the sensei had a thing for him, but oh well, turns out she is either trying to hide it to keep their relationship as is or she really doesn't love him and only sees him as friend, but again, who would even go as far as to keep visiting a friend at their work frequently, sounds weird to me, I wouldn't do it honestly at least
Apr 6, 2020 8:28 AM
Dec 2019
I can see a lot of people dropping this anime because of the show pacing, but I adored every second of it. The art is f*cking beautiful(coming from someone who just finished binging Sound Euphonium btw), and the characters are lovable and relatable. Will definitely keep watching. :)
Apr 6, 2020 9:26 AM

Sep 2009
slowmotioncrash said:
Wow, really strong first episode. Already relating to these characters on episode one. Animation is really amazing too.

Same feels here!! <3
Really love the animation!

Check out~ ♥ Some quality AMV:s made with love ♥ My Youtube
Apr 6, 2020 9:31 AM
May 2017
someone said elsewhere:
I've seen it translated as: "People hate liars, but people like lies"
imSOuniqueApr 6, 2020 9:45 AM
Apr 6, 2020 10:09 AM
Jun 2019
Someone needs to change the synopsis since she isn't his former girlfriend as stated in it.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2020

449 by Neko_myanimelist »»
Sep 15, 8:11 PM

» This ruined my day. (It's ended so contains spoilers till ep-12)

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Aug 1

13 by BeardedSol »»
Aug 3, 2:44 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zyjJanApr - May 9, 2020

150 by SadMeat »»
Jan 29, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2020

160 by Stargurll02 »»
Jan 6, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2020

123 by komikvalentine »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.