Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 14, 2019 8:12 AM

May 2010
FatGum punched the dogshit out of those 2 xD his quirk is really something.
Dec 14, 2019 8:32 AM

May 2018
Hands down best episode of the season so far! Glad they did this scene justice
Dec 14, 2019 9:06 AM

Aug 2018
Great Episode..... Epic
Best Episode......... ๐Ÿ”ฅ
SaiDxvLightDec 15, 2019 2:57 PM
Dec 14, 2019 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
Hell yeah. Somebody call Jotaro as I think My Hero Academia has better 'Ora Ora Ora' scenes. I would rank this fight better then All Might vs Nomu, but under Stain vs Deku (and others).

I was wondering how they would condense the four chapter fight into a single episode. But Bones, the madmen, they did it with flying colors.

Some manga readers may be annoyed since they gave more budget to Fat Gum then Kirishima, but I think it works better overall since it's a team fight. It made me like Fat Gum much more then the manga did.

This adaptation is improving upon the manga more and more as the episodes go on, but I never doubted that Bones would do anything less then amazing.

removed-userDec 14, 2019 9:15 AM
Dec 14, 2019 9:19 AM
Oct 2018
Modernoir said:
Honestly I'm kinda pissed off. Why the fuck are they making a SECOND movie and allocating a ton of their talented staff to put their focus on that fucking project when it'll end up just as mediocre and useless as the first movie? Like seriously, had they put their team to work together on this project (Which should have taken much more fucking precedence over the movie, why did we need a second movie in the middle of season 4 god Bones W H Y) this episode could've been a direct improvement over the manga. More creative directing, better art (especially in terms of backgrounds), better actual animation to make certain bits feel more impactful, the only thing this episode delivered on completely was the brilliant voice acting and the consistently good character arc. But this just felt like a slightly better episode than the preceding ones, this one should've been one of THE stand-out episodes of this fucking season!

I wanted them to go all-out this episode in terms of direction and especially in terms of art and animation. I might have perhaps been setting myself up for disappointment, but this series of chapters were amazing in the manga, the fight especially was LOADED with emotion and a ton of impact that made me adore this fight the most and made it feel like one of the best in the series up until that point. I mean, I appreciate the great art and animation in some parts of this ep and the OST choice at the end, but... Man this felt underwhelming, I can't put my finger specifically on why, but it felt underwhelming compared to the absolutely FANTASTIC reveal of Red Riot Unbreakable. The censoring had a noticeably bad effect this time too, in the manga Kirishima was fucking coated in blood after taking on Rappa's barrage, there's barely any at all in the anime. What a letdown. I'm seriously hoping the next few eps will be utterly fantastic to make up for this because this was my favorite part of the arc aside from the next major fight.

I 100% agree on this. No matter how good the movie looks, it's non canon stuff and won't ever be as good as the actual series. They just should have poured all their efforts in the series.
Dec 14, 2019 9:27 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
I didn't read the manga.
Here is my honest review toward the anime pace...this series is still too slow.
How many arcs has it been? Why does he still need to think about this?
He should have overcome this a long time ago prior to fighting the League of Villian.
I know my Japanese well enough to watch it without sub. I even watch this episode without looking at the screen as I made my breakfast this morning. At this pace, I don't even need to watch the entire episode to know what's going on.

Most of the time, I kept hearing long boring monologue speech of Kirishima whining about this and that instead of taking action first just like with Midoriya. Please make it short or at least change the background music or level of voice acting. Now, I am curious who's directing this season. They should at least research past season anime like Demon Slayer, and how to direct a show to draw people attention to a series and bring out the vibes to bring chill down their back.
Dec 14, 2019 9:47 AM

May 2016
what the hell was that. Stop the shitty flashbacks
Dec 14, 2019 9:55 AM

Oct 2015
Even in the manga the Kirishima flashback felt misplaced and unnecessary, and the resolution of it where he had a holographic video of his idol saying the exact words he needed to hear was amateurishly written. All the same the fight was cool even if the punches lacked the power I thought they did while reading the manga. Also, Kirishima's skin all over the front of his body had basically cracked off and he was a red bloody mess by the end in the manga. Here he just looks like he tripped and fell on some dirt.

All the same, this was probably the best episode of the season and that's saying a lot. The manga content for this arc wasn't great but the anime certainly hasn't done it any favours. I swear I will cause havoc if they ruin Mirio's fight.
Dec 14, 2019 10:06 AM

Nov 2015
BlakexEkalb said:

I want a word with the people who said this arc was the best arc. I’ve been lied to. Too much exposition :/

Who said it was the best? It’s the WORST arc.
Proof:
HACKs! ๐Ÿคข๐Ÿคฎ
Dec 14, 2019 10:39 AM
Feb 2017
Old_School_Akira said:
BlakexEkalb said:

I want a word with the people who said this arc was the best arc. I’ve been lied to. Too much exposition :/

Who said it was the best? It’s the WORST arc.
Proof:

I mean in concept it doesn't even sound like it would be bad, rather the opposite. It seems like a great idea. Invading a villain headquarters to save someone who's being held a prisoner.
Dec 14, 2019 10:52 AM
Feb 2016
Modernoir said:
Stripes said:

You know what. I totally agree with you. And I was screaming this through the damn roof last season.

But A) Money. B) At least Horikoshi actually worked on this second movie a lot and it'll be canon to the manga. C) The manga is always going to just look better aside from a few key episodes and moments. D) Umakoshi fucked off to work on Doremi so half the quality went out the window.

Say what you want about the last season but even if they didn't deliver on overall animation consistency, they got the hype moments RIGHT. Deku's 1,000,000% moment was fantastically done and had such fucking great direction and OST to go with it. All For One vs All Might could've been better overall but it was paced perfectly, the art was so good, the OST was on a whole other level and the United States of Smash moment is genuinely one of the best scenes in the entire series. And lastly Deku vs Bakugou was all-round a fantastic adaptation in terms of OST, art and especially some incredible animation.

Here I can't honestly think of any stand-out moments where there should've been some, aside from Red Riot Unbreakable which was delivered perfectly imo. I had incredibly high hopes for this episode because it's one of the first times in ages that a character other than Deku goes through immense development and has a stand-out moment. I honestly understand that Hori's working on the 2nd movie but I still think it's a stupid decision, if it meant them portraying or even fixing up the manga better they should've given this season their undivided attention to make it as great as possible. Like man just compare the impact of Fatgum's Spear destroying the barrier in the manga to the anime, they dropped the ball on what should've been an elecrtifyingly good episode.

I'm a massive fans of Bones, MP100 S2 is a top contender for AOTY in my book, but man I feel like they fucked up this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vikPO-GgNBM Like holy shit, this looks fantastic, but did we NEED this? Why couldn't they have kept the team whole instead of putting some of their best to work on the movie when the source material matters way fucking more? It's such a stupid decision when this is a part of the manga that divided so many people, had they put all their work into this season this arc might have been 5x better than it was in the manga.

Honestly, I agree with you both. Bones should stop dividing their best workers for movies for MHA and just focus on the anime adaptation mainly. Like holy shit that trailer looked good, but I'd rather have that for the anime adaptation since majority are already familiar with the main show and not the other stuff
Dec 14, 2019 10:57 AM
Nov 2016
Omg, stop putting boring ass flashback sob stories, that take half an episode, between fights.
We're losing -> sob story -> win. Laaaaaaaame.
Well, better than last weeks episode at least.
Dec 14, 2019 10:58 AM

Nov 2012
Wow what a good episode! Kirishima is really shining this season! I'm sure I saw him originally listed part of the "Main" cast instead of the "supporting" cast he's now listed as, anyone know what happened there?

Fat Gum is a great new character this season too.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Dec 14, 2019 11:07 AM
Jun 2015
And I thought last weeks fight was boring. Wow. Bunch of nothingness once again. Ya think they'd lose by now,but nah. Fake tension. Another one punch end just like every other fight in this series. Damn where the fuck is the strategy and choreography?
Dec 14, 2019 11:10 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode and probably the best one till date if you ask me.

Personally, I love the insert of Kirishima's backstory in this moment where he gets knocked down immediately and his legs freeze out of fear. His backstory makes the whole situation so much more compelling and the entire sequence from the backstory to present is loaded with emotion. I teared up.
The part in the backstory where he freezes up despite still trying to tell his legs to move and help those girls is so very sad, very similar to Deku from episode 2 but with just a different outcome. but the way he eventually gains motivation from it and summon all of that to reinforce his spirit is just full of heart. This kind of stuff is exactly the reason I love this series. xD

Job well done Kirishima!
Dec 14, 2019 11:37 AM

May 2016
This shows always brings out this liquid called tears in my eyes, the backstory was meh but connecting it to now was really lovely.
Dec 14, 2019 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
Another good episode! I loved Kirishima even more in this episode *.* Fat Gum was also cool xD I can't wait to see the next episode! ^^
Dec 14, 2019 12:05 PM
May 2019
This director at his finest. He's great at directing conversation scenes, flashback scenes, putting it all together, building up a great hype for the battle scenes, in which he faulters a bit. I can't wait for when the main director comes back, then we could have those 2 rulling it all over.
Dec 14, 2019 12:12 PM

Feb 2017
kirishima just got a new armor!
it is a plot armor!
also fatgum actually chadgum!

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Dec 14, 2019 12:28 PM

Feb 2015
Fat Gum being surprisingly good looking ain't all that surprising for some reason.

Maybe it's just been too long, but this arc so far isn't significantly different from the manga, at least as far as I can remember. This one episode in particular was good for giving Kirishima the necessary context to make that move impactful.

Though I can see the irritation at flashbacks, just 15 minutes of a slugfesting where there's no explanation for a move that changes the course of the fight isn't much better. Not to say that is the only alternative, but here there weren't many.

That said, the "big" fight is where things are going to get really judgmental on my part. Hopefully they do that one well.

Those who think this is the worst arc have clearly not read or kept up to date on the manga or are smoking something really strong. I'm pretty sure this arc is one of the favorites, and it introduces some of the favorite characters like Mirio.
Dec 14, 2019 1:09 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Yautja said:

Those who think this is the worst arc have clearly not read or kept up to date on the manga or are smoking something really strong. I'm pretty sure this arc is one of the favorites, and it introduces some of the favorite characters like Mirio.

Maybe the strong aftertaste of smoking Kimetsu no Yaiba from the last season? .-.
I hope you're not high but Mirio was introduced back in Season 3.
There are people who decided not read the manga just so they can feel the vibes directly from the anime. The manga just gonna kill the mood if we already know what's going to happen. That's why are anime-only community.

I don't know if this is really going to be the best arc, but have you seen trailer for MHA movie 2? It seem like the movie is better the tv series itself. That's the vibes we want.
Now stare back at S4...slow pace drag on episode with monologue and flashback. It's really disappointing.
Fuwa_sanDec 14, 2019 1:13 PM
Dec 14, 2019 1:19 PM

Mar 2014
Great episode, a very long flash back, but is good to finally see some background on Red Rocket.

Also very cool to learn that Fat Gum is like that Naruto's Choji that can store up power and release it all in one super charged shot.
Dec 14, 2019 1:29 PM

May 2018
So... that was kinda underwhelming at some parts...
Especially when you look at the manga in comparison.

overall a good episode nonetheless.

โ–บ"The deeper the darkness the more dazzling the light shines." โ—„
โ–บ"As you live you lose reasons and hope. But as you keep on going, you pick up new reasons and hope."โ—„
โ–บ"If I don’t stand up here… If I don’t reach higher here… When am I ever going to do it?"โ—„
Dec 14, 2019 1:36 PM
Jan 2018
Fat gum you looker
Dec 14, 2019 1:38 PM

Jun 2019
From Fat Gum to shredded! Really cool episode, but the same pattern at each episode is getting tiring... (Flashback+mental power up=victory) Looking at my watch all the time to make sure that bad gives are going to be defeated before the end.
Dec 14, 2019 1:52 PM
Nov 2019
CaioOlive said:
This director at his finest. He's great at directing conversation scenes, flashback scenes, putting it all together, building up a great hype for the battle scenes, in which he faulters a bit. I can't wait for when the main director comes back, then we could have those 2 rulling it all over.

I hope the best anime director of BNHA makes season 6 and 7, because it is in season 6 and 7 that we will maybe get the great war that Horikoshi is planning to do!
Buy Bitcoins and others cryptos(like Monero), the great crisis is coming!
Also don't forget, taxation is theft!
Dec 14, 2019 1:53 PM

Sep 2014
Man, the animation was just awful
Dec 14, 2019 1:53 PM
Sep 2018
I am crying๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ you both gave it all Fatgum and Red Riot ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ love u guys
Dec 14, 2019 1:55 PM
Nov 2019
dicecop said:

In 2019 standards: yes

In anime standards: never!
Dec 14, 2019 2:10 PM
Jan 2016
Awesome backstory about Kirishima and Mina, didn't knew they were in same school!

FatGum quirk is awesome and interesting, and i am glad Kirishima got courage to help FatGum at the end, they were awesome!
Dec 14, 2019 2:47 PM

Apr 2018
This episode was just too good. Very emotional and impact just like the previous one. I have nothing but praise for this anime right now. Awesome fighting scenes and great character development.
Dec 14, 2019 2:51 PM

Mar 2019
Finally a GOOD episode... it took 9... to finally bring some feelings.

Also the episode ending + ED song combination = Plus Ultra.

Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Dec 14, 2019 3:07 PM

Oct 2019
I cried reading the manga and you can bet your ass I cried today.
Dec 14, 2019 4:04 PM
Mar 2017
This episode was incredible, Fat Gum and Kirishima gave an epic fight against the two members of the eight bullets.

Rappa had a destructive force in his fists, it showed in the damage he caused to Kirishima in his arms and Tengai and his shield gave Fat gum many problems to counterattack and added to Rappa's punching bursts, the situation looked complicated.

What I liked about this episode was that they explored Kirishima's past, after seeing how his fighting spirit crumbled, then they show us why he wanted to be better and this goes back to his time in middle school, where he felt weak not being able to use hardening accordingly and in turn not having the courage to help, fortunately Mina was the one who made Kirishima change, added to the words of the hero he admired and yes, I love the chemistry between Mina and Kirishima.

Anyway, Kirishima made an epic return to the fight and he gave Fat Gum the opportunity to fight back, Fat Gum's new appearance feels weird, I like him more when he's chubby and nice.

The next episode looks very good, action continues and apparently familiar faces will make their return to attack Deku.
Dec 14, 2019 4:16 PM

Oct 2013
wtf why are people complaining about the animation? it was excelent

BNH finally delivering the hype
Dec 14, 2019 4:21 PM
Nov 2019
Boku no Hero Academia Season 4 is definetly anime of the year!!!

Change my mind

VitorLeiteAncapDec 14, 2019 4:37 PM
Dec 14, 2019 4:43 PM
Oct 2016
This was always my favorite part of the manga so far, and it was animated even more intensely and amazingly than I could have hoped.

Red Riot Forever.
Dec 14, 2019 4:43 PM

May 2015
dicecop said:

Awful huh? What shit are you smoking?

Dec 14, 2019 4:56 PM

Nov 2019
Fat gum was pretty cool in this episode
He reminded me of Choji from naruto
Seeing more of Kiri's backstory this episode was awesome and Mina too I like them both much more now :)
This episode was overall fantastic 9.5/10
Dec 14, 2019 5:17 PM
Nov 2016
Finished watching this episode and it wasn't that bad but... it wasn't that great either and this is definitely the best episode of this season so that's not a good thing I guess, I was way more hyped in the manga.

The thing that is hurting this season so far is the pacing and the lack-luster animation, so far is nothing exceptional, the choreography and the directing doesn't seem that great either, the director is literally just copy/pasting the manga into the anime without adding anything significant to get us hyped, for example, adding some good choreography in the fight scenes and a couple of sakuga moments here and there, showing some movements in their fight scenes to make it look awesome but nope, this literally was the usual: talking, punches, absorb punches, rinse & repeat... (in the same position, they barely fucking moved in this fight), then that annoying backstory which I didn't gave a rat ass about... I know it was in the manga but damn, this made the episode feel way too slow and this season is pretty damn slow already.

I thought this episode was going to impress me but sadly it didn't, just compare this episode to other animes that have great choreography in the fight scenes like One Punch Man S1, Attack on Titan, Kimetsu no Yaiba, etc... this episode doesn't come close to the masterful choreography from those animes. I guess the movie they are making is hurting this anime, they needed the whole freaking team working on this season and not separate their teams to work on a freaking movie that nobody asked for.
xZabuzaxDec 14, 2019 5:21 PM
Dec 14, 2019 5:24 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
VitorLeiteAncap said:
Change my mind
No wait, it's Demon Slayer

Done...jk idk but...if the series doesn't get any better, it will lose against:
Jojo
Promising Neverland
Mob Psycho II
AoT 3.5
Dr.Stone
Demon Slayer
One Piece (Luffy vs Katakuri Arc)
Dec 14, 2019 5:55 PM

Feb 2014
My dude jus wanted some directions lol ffs the actual fuckin villains in this ep were the bullies

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Dec 14, 2019 6:09 PM

Jun 2015
I really liked Kirishima's backstory. Call it a generic flashback or whatever, but it hit me pretty hard. I don't expect a side character to have a rather impactful backstory.
Dec 14, 2019 6:15 PM

Jul 2016
Some part of me wished Kirishima's flashback had less comedy but well.

It was a decent development for my boy but as a whole, Red Riot Unbreakable was a way better sequence.
Dec 14, 2019 6:29 PM

Feb 2014
It's nice to finally see Fatgum and Kiri's fight in action. Also that KiriMina moment finally animated made my ship for them stronger. ๐Ÿคง๐Ÿคฃ
Dec 14, 2019 6:47 PM
Mar 2015
Glad Red Riot decided to become a hero he saved Fat Gum's bacon
Dec 14, 2019 6:49 PM

Sep 2017
Pretty cool. So Fat Gum is able to take all the damage he stores up in his fat and convert it into power. Also we are getting a lot of Kirishima stuff this season. It's nice to flesh out more of UA.
Dec 14, 2019 6:55 PM

Jun 2014
Fat Gum evolved into Chad Gum xD
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Dec 14, 2019 8:19 PM
Nov 2019
xkazutox said:
VitorLeiteAncap said:
Change my mind
No wait, it's Demon Slayer

Done...jk idk but...if the series doesn't get any better, it will lose against:
Jojo
Promising Neverland
Mob Psycho II
AoT 3.5
Dr.Stone
Demon Slayer
One Piece (Luffy vs Katakuri Arc)

Some of these are real contenders like SNK S3 P2 and Mob Psycho 100 II.

Kimetsu no Yaiba only wins BNHA in animation imo and overral this season of BNHA is better than the Cake Island Arc of One Piece(the bad pacing of OP is literally a meme lol), i heard Jojo new final is meh, and Dr. Stone and Promised Neverland seems equal overral.

The only thing that needed to improve this season was: fighthing animations animated with love(because they seem very rushed), and that goddam recap episode, a damage that cannot be undone...

Overral this is the best season and anime of the year if we get rid of these details.

Also the pacing issue was caused thanks to that shit recap episode, without that the score of this season would be sitting around 8.7!
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2020

475 by LaZy_as_Neko »»
Sep 25, 2:16 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 4th Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2020

231 by Sir_Zech137 »»
Sep 19, 5:29 PM

» Rock Lock and the stereotypical black voice (dub)

todoxbami - Sep 22, 2021

14 by TamarahTalksTV »»
Sep 16, 1:04 PM

» In the name of science, why is there a lot of Bakugou x Uraraka shippers? ( 1 2 )

Gazz - Apr 6, 2019

68 by SarahxLevi »»
Sep 14, 3:25 PM

» Toogata, Mirio not getting One for All

Dragevard - Jun 1, 2021

17 by SarahxLevi »»
Sep 14, 3:19 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.