Forums

Name the anime that doesn't deserve all hatred it's gets

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Aug 31, 2019 3:55 AM
Jan 2018
Setsuei said:
Mattinator95 said:

Lol Its no where near a Steven universe rip off .

The first volume came out in 2012 and Steven started in 2013 lol so it can't be a rip off

Just becouse they have gems

The problem with things like this is no one ever bothers checking when the source material came out before claiming something is a ripoff of something else. As far as most people know since Steven Universe aired on TV first, that makes Houseki no Kuni and automatic ripoff.

They aren't even a like . The only thing they have in common is gems that's it
Aug 31, 2019 3:58 AM
Jan 2018
-Aincrad- said:
Edocchi said:
definitely Sword Art Online (season 3 is garbage though)

Agree
SAO is actually one of my favourites, and I admit season 3 is just horrible, it's boring as hell

Animation is worse too apart from like that one episode with the goblin . And all the hype around egueo and how all the LN readers where sad about the ending an I'm like really that's it I was expecting something different not something stupid.

Hopefully part 2 is better
Aug 31, 2019 5:45 AM
Jul 2018
Sword art online.. Even though it doesn't have a story , plot , character development etc , but it still isn't boring. It's quite enjoyable. It's scores are OK but the hatred that it gets is... XD
But all this doesn't make me worry. Cuz it isn't my favorite anime series ;)
Aug 31, 2019 6:02 AM
Feb 2009
So Asterisk war and SAO got mentioned like always. Quicly, someone do a thread for bad anime that doesn't deserve praise so we could get these mentioned again.
Aug 31, 2019 6:09 AM

Aug 2019
Though it’s fairly well liked it also has quite a few that don’t like it, Gundam Seed. It’s actually one of my favorites in the franchise
This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!
Aug 31, 2019 6:20 AM

Apr 2019
Jus1294 said:
Aldnox said:
School Days is a deconstruction of harem and romance and the reason people hate it is because it did a good job at deconstructing harem and romance, genres people are very attached to.

Or they hate it because the characters are detestable in every way. The deconstruction part hardly matters when people's claim to hatred towards it is almost always over the series characters, especially the MC.

Seconded (the unjustly hated position), +1 deconstruction. It't not easy to write a cast of characters in which everybody is hateworthy. They are all selfish, stupid, and mildly insane. Try writing that yourself to see how hard it is ...

Aug 31, 2019 6:20 AM

Apr 2017
Grizzziff said:
Aldnox said:
School Days is a deconstruction of harem and romance and the reason people hate it is because it did a good job at deconstructing harem and romance, genres people are very attached to.

Save, this is not correct is it. The point of School Days the anime, was to create a season of anime to express a route of the Visual Novel in anime form. There are tons of articles calling it a "deconstruction of the harem genre" but that's really just people sniffing fartsy on the artsy of it. The anime itself just explores the first time player perspective to such an eroge, making all the wrong moves, skipping a few flags, and landing on the nice boat ending. I agree that it's an anime that gets to much undeserved hate, but that is because people (formally myself included) don't really get it. However, according to your post, even people that like it, "dont get it".

What I like about it is that it provides a much more realistic picture of highschool relationships, which provides a breath of "fresh air" to the highschool romance/harem genres, never really thought about it as a genre deconstruction. It actually reminded me of my highschool, if you substitute Makoto for some guy named Jay, minus the murder.. and the setting in Japan... add lots more drugs and underaged drinking...
Israel_Is_EvilAug 31, 2019 6:23 AM

Aug 31, 2019 6:25 AM
Nov 2018
sword art online
one piece
one punch man season 2
Aug 31, 2019 7:07 AM

Jul 2014
Agree'd with the SAO one, S1-2 were actually nice, S3's hot garbage tho.
Aug 31, 2019 7:10 AM
Aug 2019
suggest me some best comedy anime plz..
thank you lovelots😘😘😘
Aug 31, 2019 8:29 AM
Apr 2019
Attack on Titan, haters are everywhere..
Violet Evergarden,, Idk why people reviewd it with bad rating.
Aug 31, 2019 10:39 AM
Feb 2019
Catalano said:
Elfen Lied, I don't know why but a lot of watchers are screaming: edgy! when they see a killing scene or some characters crying, just take it as it is and follow the plot and the characters motivations. And when I was little, I saw a dog and some cats too getting killed by some kids, it's not like it doesn't happen in real life. But no! edgy, edgy edgy. And if it's edgy, why does it matter? just drop it and go watch Sansha Sanyou.

God, that's literally me when fans mention Elfen Lied being edgy. Some people don't really have a world view on things shown in the show.
Aug 31, 2019 10:41 AM
Feb 2019
Elfen Lied, because it was a solid show with serious messages.

School Days, because it showed the actual complexity and stupidness of teenage romance and why harems are not favored in the real life.
Aug 31, 2019 10:49 AM

Oct 2013
Mattinator95 said:
Setsuei said:

The problem with things like this is no one ever bothers checking when the source material came out before claiming something is a ripoff of something else. As far as most people know since Steven Universe aired on TV first, that makes Houseki no Kuni and automatic ripoff.

They aren't even a like . The only thing they have in common is gems that's it

I know that and you know that,but unfortunately all it takes is that one thing in common for fans to make this claim.
Aug 31, 2019 11:02 AM

Mar 2016
Yugioh Arc-V. Everyone just overreacted to the dull final arc and then went out their ways trying to say it was flawed since Synchro Arc. Like the only basis I find from that in particular was the so-called 5Ds biasedness, which I never found as an actual issue. The pacing in the second half I will admit had its problems, though.
Aug 31, 2019 11:14 AM

Aug 2019
Your Name. It quickly went from overrated to overhated
Sep 1, 2019 2:55 PM

Nov 2014
Black_Sheep97 said:
BlancaXLobo said:
The first season isn't even good to beging with.

Really I thought the first season was amazing with examination of free will for the humans and the contructs and principles of an ideal/ controlled society, plus it's parallels with George Orwell with poignant and unique.
In my case I found the examination to be just lip service trying to be taking more seriously that it should, with a deeply flawed and barely cooked concept, at best. The references to Orwell and other authors were just more lip service without understanding the real message of those books it likes to name.
Sep 1, 2019 3:08 PM
Nov 2015
BlancaXLobo said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

Really I thought the first season was amazing with examination of free will for the humans and the contructs and principles of an ideal/ controlled society, plus it's parallels with George Orwell with poignant and unique.
In my case I found the examination to be just lip service trying to be taking more seriously that it should, with a deeply flawed and barely cooked concept, at best. The references to Orwell and other authors were just more lip service without understanding the real message of those books it likes to name.
i think the lip service or dialogue was naturally interwoven into the characters action and motivation and provided depth to the themes that those characters embodied, and I fail to see how you can say that they weren't explored, there was an abundance of it through the dialogue of the plot events of the story and the characters perception of them and alot of it wasn't a mere copy and paste of those principles but an exploration of those principles in it's own narrative,while in the case George Orwell, they didn't really focus on the concept of his novel at all as it was about corruption of control, whereas in the case of psycho pass, it's Utopian with the ideal of control and the inherent by product of tyranny.
Sep 1, 2019 9:06 PM
Jan 2015
Anything that gets remotely popular, as people will just come out of the wood works just to hate on them for being popular.
My Queens

Sep 2, 2019 9:22 AM

Nov 2014
Black_Sheep97 said:
BlancaXLobo said:
i think the lip service or dialogue was naturally interwoven into the characters action and motivation and provided depth to the themes that those characters embodied, and I fail to see how you can say that they weren't explored, there was an abundance of it through the dialogue of the plot events of the story and the characters perception of them and alot of it wasn't a mere copy and paste of those principles but an exploration of those principles in it's own narrative,while in the case George Orwell, they didn't really focus on the concept of his novel at all as it was about corruption of control, whereas in the case of psycho pass, it's Utopian with the ideal of control and the inherent by product of tyranny.
Black_Sheep97 said:
BlancaXLobo said:
Unfortunetly i don't seem most of the things you said.

The characters were cardboard cut-outs instead of complex:
(I needed to look the character's names up because i couldn't remenber just one)
- Akane. Innocent Urobuchi's heroine who's ideallistic. Her views (or lack thereof, because she also just an audience surrogate, and a pretty bad one on that too) seems to get challanged, just so we can have other characters commenting how strong she's, even characters who dismissed her just a few episodes before, without any natural change. And all of that with one of the biggest "You had one job!" moments we've ever seen in anime history (Pull the fucking trigger, you stupide hoe!). I need to go to a american YA novel to find more protagonists with these levels of uselessness and character shilling.
- Kougami aka I Want to be Cooler than Spike Spiegel. For all we heard before about him, he used to be a normal guy, until one day of of his team mates got brutally murdered and he snap out of it. So now he's searching for revenge... Why i hae the sensation we already have thousands of characters like this when the PS2 got release? Also, he's Akane's love interest because ABS. Just same reasons the cat ears girl and the monkey tail guy got paired in RWBY. Love this RWBY levels of quality writting.
- Ginoza. There are two types of guy with glasses that appears in most anime. One is moron who takes everything more seriously than he should, like the ones from My Hero Academia and Free!. And then it's the other types, than i can describe with just one word: Douchebag. Ginoza belongs to the last type. The stuff with his father was compelling, it was laready too late. Besides it shows the Sybille system was around enough time to stop making all the mistakes we've seen it made on the show.
- Kagari. Red shirt. He got one meaningful conversation with Akane at the start, then the show forgot he existed until it was time to kill in the most unceremonious way possible in the show's fake climax.
- Yayoi. I must admit, her flash-back episode was actually pretty great, a good example of Psycho Pass exploiting its full potential. Unfortuneatly the character was pretty much ignored before and after it, everything on it was ended abruptly and if it wasn't for it I will probably only know her as "the girl who sometimes fucks with the female team scientist, becauseGen Urobuchi wanted lesbians cause he thinks lesbians are hot".
- Makishima. Can writers please stop using the blon/albino bishonen as a villain? It's one of the most overused character types. Takahiro Sakurai's acting was superb, but that was just because he has a special talent to voice bad guys. His dialog screams "Do I look smart enough for you?" all the time. The best example as the themes in Psycho Pass serving just as lip-service and nothing more because no one knows what they're actually writting about.

The show also lacks complete originality, without bringing anything new to the table. When its not riping off better animes like Monster, Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell, its riping off sci fi classic book like Minority Report, which i'm surprised you didn't mention. I mean, the Sybill system is basically the precogs from Minority Report, but worse. Because while the precogs being capable of seeing the possible futures, which gave the police more and better information to prevent a crime, while the Sybill system only collects human's emotional responses, which are less trust worthy sources.

Also, you completely misunderstood what 1984, was about. The story was about the State's will crushing each one's individual will untill anyone, despite knowing how fucked and wroong the system was, will be completely obedient, accepting anything they're told, even if it went against all logic, like that 2 + 2 = 5 instead of 4. And you can't escape from it.

The one Orwell book i could think it was about power corruption would be Animal Farm, being about an ideology that was born with noble goals like freedom and equality became a new way for new oppresors to oppress people (well, animals in this case, but you know what i mean) but i don't think that was Urobuchi's inspiration. If that was the case, the characters would've been citting and mentioning Animal Farm much, much more.
Sep 2, 2019 10:55 AM

Jul 2017
Kimi no na wa, im still salty its not rated number 1 on MAL lol
Sep 2, 2019 11:05 AM

Apr 2016
I would defend goblin slayer. Outside of episode one where a lot of ppl got butthurt about the gore and that specific scene. I think goblin slayer is a good and super fun show. Definitely gets some unwarranted hate.
Sep 2, 2019 12:05 PM
Nov 2015
BlancaXLobo said:
Black_Sheep97 said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

(I needed to look the character's names up because i couldn't remenber just one)
- Akane. Innocent Urobuchi's heroine who's ideallistic. Her views (or lack thereof, because she also just an audience surrogate, and a pretty bad one on that too) seems to get challanged, just so we can have other characters commenting how strong she's, even characters who dismissed her just a few episodes before, without any natural change. And all of that with one of the biggest "You had one job!" moments we've ever seen in anime history (Pull the fucking trigger, you stupide hoe!). I need to go to a american YA novel to find more protagonists with these levels of uselessness and character shilling.
- Kougami aka I Want to be Cooler than Spike Spiegel. For all we heard before about him, he used to be a normal guy, until one day of of his team mates got brutally murdered and he snap out of it. So now he's searching for revenge... Why i hae the sensation we already have thousands of characters like this when the PS2 got release? Also, he's Akane's love interest because ABS. Just same reasons the cat ears girl and the monkey tail guy got paired in RWBY. Love this RWBY levels of quality writting.
- Ginoza. There are two types of guy with glasses that appears in most anime. One is moron who takes everything more seriously than he should, like the ones from My Hero Academia and Free!. And then it's the other types, than i can describe with just one word: Douchebag. Ginoza belongs to the last type. The stuff with his father was compelling, it was laready too late. Besides it shows the Sybille system was around enough time to stop making all the mistakes we've seen it made on the show.
- Kagari. Red shirt. He got one meaningful conversation with Akane at the start, then the show forgot he existed until it was time to kill in the most unceremonious way possible in the show's fake climax.
- Yayoi. I must admit, her flash-back episode was actually pretty great, a good example of Psycho Pass exploiting its full potential. Unfortuneatly the character was pretty much ignored before and after it, everything on it was ended abruptly and if it wasn't for it I will probably only know her as "the girl who sometimes fucks with the female team scientist, becauseGen Urobuchi wanted lesbians cause he thinks lesbians are hot".
- Makishima. Can writers please stop using the blon/albino bishonen as a villain? It's one of the most overused character types. Takahiro Sakurai's acting was superb, but that was just because he has a special talent to voice bad guys. His dialog screams "Do I look smart enough for you?" all the time. The best example as the themes in Psycho Pass serving just as lip-service and nothing more because no one knows what they're actually writting about.

The show also lacks complete originality, without bringing anything new to the table. When its not riping off better animes like Monster, Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell, its riping off sci fi classic book like Minority Report, which i'm surprised you didn't mention. I mean, the Sybill system is basically the precogs from Minority Report, but worse. Because while the precogs being capable of seeing the possible futures, which gave the police more and better information to prevent a crime, while the Sybill system only collects human's emotional responses, which are less trust worthy sources.

Also, you completely misunderstood what 1984, was about. The story was about the State's will crushing each one's individual will untill anyone, despite knowing how fucked and wroong the system was, will be completely obedient, accepting anything they're told, even if it went against all logic, like that 2 + 2 = 5 instead of 4. And you can't escape from it.

The one Orwell book i could think it was about power corruption would be Animal Farm, being about an ideology that was born with noble goals like freedom and equality became a new way for new oppresors to oppress people (well, animals in this case, but you know what i mean) but i don't think that was Urobuchi's inspiration. If that was the case, the characters would've been citting and mentioning Animal Farm much, much more.
BlancaXLobo said:
Black_Sheep97 said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

Characters that exhibit an array of emotions under different circumstances and interactions aren't cardboard cutouts especially when there are character defining moments that create a human understanding of those actions, and those that develop certainly aren't cardboard cut outs either but are complex especially Akane, kogami and Makashima.

Akame:She starts off innocent by the beginning of the show yes, and she lacks a firm set of ideals yes and understandably so . She lived a sheltered and secure life under the Sybil system, but as the series goes on, she is out into circumstances that reveal and develop her, where she understands herself better and develops a set of ideals based on her experiences, where instead of being overly moralistic and idealistic, but pragmatic as well and this turn fits with her established psycho pass.
She starts off weak, experienced and naive in the beginning and is viewed as such, as the series goes on similar to what i mentioned before , she becomes more capable , experienced and confident exceedingly so as a result of her established innate talent, this would catch people by surprise and watch in awe of her, because of her change. As for the last comment, I don't know what you're referring to.

Kogami:The only similarities between him and spike are they have revenge, spiky black hair and know martial arts, but other than that, they're characterization couldn't be any different. And even then, while still having the motivation for revenge, they were still different. Spike did it for personal reasons, kogami tried to rationalize it as an absolute necessaity on top of that. As for the description you provided , this archetype has existed way before the PS2 just like most of them, the spin for kogami is the position he played in the narrative and his interactions with Akane, and conflict with the sybill system. And he never becomes the love interest for Akane, they do have a strong relationship because of the mentor role he was for her and the harsh experiences they shared together.

Ginzo: As for the two types of characters with glasses, it might be true that these two are predominant archetypes but so what these two characteristics are perfectly relatable and human. For the glasses part, all sterotypes are incorporated into design in some way, whether it be subverting or adhering, I see no change in his character whether you take away the glasses or not. And Ginzo is a combination of both, he takes the rules very seriously and is a douchebag to those who don't, and considering the past he's had ,his actions are understandable. He's seen people he is close to fall through the cracks and are labelled as rejects of society and his life as become harder for it especially in the case of his father. As long as the stuff with his father was done, I don't see an issue, as it enables to see his actions in a clearer light and provides depth to him. Sybil never made mistakes that were outside of it's capability, the story of psycho pass introduce events that are outside of it's capability thats the conflict.

Kagari: yes and that one meaningful provides depth to his character, a testament to good writing, it reaffirms his devil may care attitude and adds a tragic aspect to it, making his demise all the more tragic. Considering what his established characterization was, his role in through the story is best suited, and since there was else his character could offer because of what it was , it's valid to kill him off, as opposed to being completely static for a longer time.

Yayoi: This part is where I mostly agree but similar to my points on kagari, her untilzation was understandable for what happened in the plot, and that great flashbacks serves to not make her a cardboard cut out. You even say that adds to her character ,by the comment " if it wasn't for that I would remembered her as the lesbian who fucked a scientist". I also don't see why bringing the lesbian characteristic up is supposed to hurt her characterization. This comment does nothing to bring her character down, if that's your intent.

Makashima: No they can't, cause all troupes are by nature over utilized, that's what it means to be a troupe. Why is this troupe singled out and utilized? And moreover why is this occurance of the troupe singled out and critised, to critize this occurance means to critize all occurrences. The dialogue serves to give him characterization and provides depth to his actions and combines his motivations with his ideals. Yes they showcase his intelligence, cause he is characterized to be intelligent. By the last statement, you have to elaborate what that means specifically, if that you meant, that his thoughts are deceptive of the human condition and have no element of truth to it, than that is fundamentally wrong as they are true and adhere to psychological concepts for violence and free will and thought, and strengthen his role as an anarchist and why it works as a foil to sybill.

Yes psycho pass lacks complete originality, just like any work of fiction. Cause nothing is completely original and everything is borrowed from somewhere. Even the stories you mentioned borrow troupes and elements from peers. As for the mention of " minority report" I thought that was irrelevant as I focused on the parallels which George Orwell as he was more focused on societal issues and ideal/perfect world. Something that isn't as prevelant in Philp k dick, and minority similarities was more obvious, but since you mentioned what psycho pass is a combination of both. With the concept of free will from Philp k dick works and corruption of power from George Orwell. If you ask me, psycho pass did it better with the focus on human psychology and behavior through the observations of what are essentially psychopaths with some liberties to accuracies to psychopathic behavior and the incoperation of observing a person life achievement and capabilities and depending their worth to society as a whole and this brings in the George Orwell aspect of the story, whereas minority report incoperated a more fantastical element/ plot device of precog which was great don't get me wrong, but psycho pass did it with far more interesting world building and characters. It honestly pains me to say someone did Philp k dick better than him, but that seems to be the case with psycho pass.

Yes those themes and subject matter are there and they are the by products of corruption and misguided usage of power , that's what 1984 focuses and demonstrates, the novella animal farm is about the rise and assertion of a corrupt power, thats the difference between the two, but the corruption and utilization of power is still a main focus in both of them. The sybil is a combination of big brother and precog so yeah I think they were the inspirations for him.
Sep 2, 2019 1:19 PM

Nov 2014
@Black_Sheep97 I won't quote you because if i did it i'll beat the record of the biggest post in MyAnimeList forum.

I know the "no work of fiction is 100% original" is a really popular argument right now to defend when someone get criticed for being not original, or a opy of something, but being derivative can count as a flaw too, specially when something just mimics other things without understanding what made them good to begin with, being too busy copying them to have their own identity. And the problem with Psycho Pass is not that the anime is not 100% original, that would be an unrealllistic expectation for any anime, sure, but when an anime evokes too many times the "I already seen this before and better done" feeling too many times, you can consider a work has failed.

The regime in 1984 is never presented with a good start to beging with, just a corrupted power which emotionally manipulates the masses, unlike Animal Farm, in which the ideology born with noble goals, stop the explotation of farm animals and create a society in which all of them are equal and in control of their lifes, and then the pigs use it for their own benefit to reach power and absolute control over the other animals, corrupting it. Animal Farm is about how totalitarian regimes reach power, 1984 is how they keep it. And Pyscho Pass doesn't explore or show neither one or two. The show never explains why the Sybill system was created, the first season at least. The Japanese goverment grew more paranoid? If that was the case, why? Fear to foreign threads? A ise of delinquency? We're just told the system was established and how it works. Nothing more. And then is how the Japanese goverment works besides the Sybill system. Is Japan a dictatorship or a "democracy" (or the closest thing that can be considered a democracy with a system like that)? A republic or still a monarchy (And yes, I know for Japan protraying the emperor is a taboo, but with all their dialog you'd think they ad a line like "Oh, by the way, we still have an emperor")

I wouldn't say Psycho Pass "did a better job in human psychology", mostly because it doesn't seem to understand how a basic human being works, and when it does i think it's mostly unintentional. Like being stopped on the street by cyberpunk Leatherface and stading just there in front of him like a dumb victim in a slasher movie, instead of pretending she doesn't notice to help interact with such a dangerous looking guy, or straight up running away. But maybe it's because the Sybill system made humanity too complicent, or lack survival insticts, but if that wuld be the case i'm pretty sure Gen Urobuchi would be beating us over the head with the dialog if we didn't understand that message. Because he can't writte subtle, and when he does he didn't realised it untill someone else pointed it out.
Sep 2, 2019 2:06 PM

Nov 2014
@Black_Sheep97 And talkling about originality let's talk about Akane. Concretly, how she really is a card-board cut out because Urobuchi seems to not know how to writte any other type of female character that isn't a female idealist who grew uo sheltered. Fate/Zero is the show that kinda get rid of it, but the anime was made at the start of his carreer, and he was working with Type Moon characters and mythos, and not his own creations, so will exclude it from this conversation. For now. We got princess Serum in Aldnoah.Zero, Amy in Suisei no Gargantia and Madoka in Puella Magi Madoka Magica. And you can say "Oh, there's nothing wrong with having a personal main character-type". Well, let me tell you, it is if you only writte a character like that, over and over again, one anime after another, without ever changing. It makes you look like a hack.

If they really wanted to make Kagari tragic, give him more screen time. More time with Akane, in which she empathyzes with him and him with her, but then there're moments in which she realised they're very different people. A good character interaction is not good because it shows one time, it's good because there's more than one and al of them have weight. And that's the problem, you can show a character once, forget about him, and then kill him. That just make a character seem replaceable, and it's Akame ga Kill levels of laziness.

I mentioned Yayoi's sexual orientation because that as her only characteristic shown beyond her focus episode, and if they didn't do that, i wouldn't notice her character. And i don't think what's worse for a character: being treated like Kagari or being treated like Yayoi. To behonest both are awful ways to treat your characters.

And talking about Ginoza, I said beofre "character types", but actually i wanted to say "clichés" in the most despective use of the term. And Ginoza is not even a combination of both, because if he was he would have comedic moments, bcause the moron who takes everything seriously is a buffon, a goofball, and Ginoza is none of them. He's too serious, which make him fall right in the douchebag territoty. And yeah, he's not a complete scumbag, but his attitude is unlikeable enough to keep him there. The stuff with his father was just a "Oh no my father (who I treated nearly as shit by the way) is dying, I'm so sad, and the guy all the fujoshi pair me has left by the way, boom sudden change". Great character development. Were's the depth you said it provides? Becuase i think it would be easier to find Shichinirou Watanabe's dignity after doing Carole and Tuesday than this.

And yeah, those are all the similarities between Kougami and Spike. There can't be more because Kougami doesn't have enough dimension to have room for more. And Kougami and Akane didn't have a mentor relationship. They're suppossed to have it, but they never have because they barely interact. Their relationship is bare bones at best.

I'm not saying Makishima's words aren't true or not, I'm just saying most of his dalog consists of him just spewing phylosophical quotes to make the character, and by extension the show, to seem more deep that it really is.
Sep 2, 2019 2:08 PM
Nov 2015
@BlancaXLobo thats not really a popular argument now, that's been an argument since the dawn of art, as nothing in art is pure creation but all art is derivative inspiration, what sets it apart is how utilizes what has been done before to put emotional and creative spin on and psycho pass certainly does that, if the comparison is with 1984 and minority report. It might evoke themes similar to minority report and 1984 , but it is distinguishable from those stories because of it's characters and world, something being derivative isn't critism cause everything is derivative, what matters is how interesting the derivation is.

The regime of 1984 not being presented as good is irrelevant, it's still shows an abuse and corruption of those is power, it's still rationalize their utilization of power as necessary but the viewpoint of the public establishes as corrupt, that's another distinction between 1984 and psycho pass, ones a utopian and the other is a dystopian. I think psycho pass does explore the concept of free and the totalitarian regime, it's just the sybil does act as blantant as a totalitarian regime. These elements are explored through the showcase of the applications and benefits of the sybill system which is done through the dialogue and the cases encountered. The show has alluded to why the sybil system exists, as a result of scientific progression and the for creating a more secure and stable society. The system is accepted in Japan because of it's ability to provide people a secure lifestyle under an accepted "objective" standard, and they even talked about the testing period on how it was able to accurately determine people's psycho pass. And that's an solid reason to resort to such a system.

It certainly does, through the various cases the team encounter and the analysis of dialogue the provide about these cases to rationalize their thoughts, another part that psycho pass did really well, the characterization of all the villains that appeared for their brief arcs. That instance you pointed was explained and rationalized through dialogue and understandably so, its a rare instance that and so it's understandable for the team to talk about and provide their own perspective. Whether it's subtle or not is irrelevant to the fact that it is there and explored.
Sep 2, 2019 2:09 PM
Aug 2015
How do people have the time to write these fucking essays on anime lmfao
Sep 2, 2019 2:12 PM

Nov 2014
@Black_Sheep97 originality is important, specially for a show like Psycho Pass, who like yu told me, talks (wants to talk) about human condition. You just can spew a few quotes and then sit down and wait for the applause. You need to do something more. You need to have something to see. And i know you're gonna explain what you think Psycho Pass is about, that is actually a really deep show about human condition, that "no really man the show has great staments about the man, man", but I just gonna tell you: I didn't see any of that, anywhere, and that's why i think the show fails, and that's why I think it's bad. But you're not me, you see all of that, and that's why you're defending it so much. And let me tell you, you're not bad at doing it, it's just you're wasting your time with me.

Also no blonde/albino bishonen as villains is a trope that needs to be stopped right now. Because not every trope which is used is overused, there's a difference.
Sep 2, 2019 2:13 PM

Nov 2014
epicyarnboy said:
How do people have the time to write these fucking essays on anime lmfao
No one else IRL to have this kinds of conversation. I think that's a pretty good reason.
Sep 2, 2019 2:21 PM

Nov 2014
Black_Sheep97 said:
@BlancaXLobo thats not really a popular argument now, that's been an argument since the dawn of art, as nothing in art is pure creation but all art is derivative inspiration, what sets it apart is how utilizes what has been done before to put emotional and creative spin on and psycho pass certainly does that, if the comparison is with 1984 and minority report. It might evoke themes similar to minority report and 1984 , but it is distinguishable from those stories because of it's characters and world, something being derivative isn't critism cause everything is derivative, what matters is how interesting the derivation is.

The regime of 1984 not being presented as good is irrelevant, it's still shows an abuse and corruption of those is power, it's still rationalize their utilization of power as necessary but the viewpoint of the public establishes as corrupt, that's another distinction between 1984 and psycho pass, ones a utopian and the other is a dystopian. I think psycho pass does explore the concept of free and the totalitarian regime, it's just the sybil does act as blantant as a totalitarian regime. These elements are explored through the showcase of the applications and benefits of the sybill system which is done through the dialogue and the cases encountered. The show has alluded to why the sybil system exists, as a result of scientific progression and the for creating a more secure and stable society. The system is accepted in Japan because of it's ability to provide people a secure lifestyle under an accepted "objective" standard, and they even talked about the testing period on how it was able to accurately determine people's psycho pass. And that's an solid reason to resort to such a system.

It certainly does, through the various cases the team encounter and the analysis of dialogue the provide about these cases to rationalize their thoughts, another part that psycho pass did really well, the characterization of all the villains that appeared for their brief arcs. That instance you pointed was explained and rationalized through dialogue and understandably so, its a rare instance that and so it's understandable for the team to talk about and provide their own perspective. Whether it's subtle or not is irrelevant to the fact that it is there and explored.

Are you sure it's not that popular, because i've seem a lot of people using it on the Internet everytime someone called something a rip-off or derivative.

Also don't came with that "all art is derivatice inspiration" bs. Yeah, art have always take some inspiration from the past, but if all art was derivative inspiration, like you just said, we'd have been stuck with the same art styles since the Bronze Age. There' something call art evolution, and that evolution happened because artists incorporated new elements to the art, making it different from previous artworks.

Characterization of villains on every indiviual arc? Are you fucking kidding me? You're a troll right? All of them seem like rejected Mirai Nikki antagonists.
Sep 2, 2019 2:40 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Isekai wa Smartphone, it gets a lot of hate because people went into it expecting action and are judging it as an action show
Sep 2, 2019 3:55 PM
Nov 2015
@BlancaXLobo The naive protagonists entering the new and harsh situations that shapes her identity, isn't a troupe that Gen is synanomous with but is a prevelant troupe throughout literature arguably more prevelant than the bishonen villain. I haven't seen the others so I can't speak for certain, but in comparison to madoka magica which I have seen , she isn't similar. Madoka was more optimistic to being regressed to being optimistic again,whereas Akane was secluded and naive to being at times pessemistic at times, regressed and pushed through with perseverance to being more pragmatic towards the end, arguably under the influence of kogami.

Sometimes, not giving a character screentime works to make their death tragic, as in the life cut short kind of way, not achieving a progression of what they want. That one interaction summed up everything needed to learn about the character what makes them tick, and that interactions does that and makes fully realized understandable individual that feats the context of his behavior and persona, that's why it so good. Giving him more interactions with Akane could have helped but to substitute that for the interactions she got with other characters would hurt the story, as those were the ones more relevant to the narrative.

Yayoi characterization, is shown to be one that follows orders, cold and restrained demeanor yet adventurous to engage in frivolous behavior at a work space and emphatic at times , on top of that , that episode she got ceases her to be one dimensional cutout. Is she great ? No. But she still interesting enough through the exploration that was given and that gives depth to all her actions after and circumstances.

What you described is a troupe not a cliche? A troupe has depth to why it's there and cliche doesn't. Your explanation was confusing , someone who is overly serious wouldn't always be comedic and someone who is a douchebag isn't always serious. But your elaboration of "him being too serious makes him fall into the douchebag category" is valid. The father aspect and the partner running away is prevelant for his character because the similarities between the two. The doubt he experiences through the series about his orders he's given and that tied with the emotional strife of those two, causes a strong impetus to question himself and his actions. He wants to believe in the strength of the sybil system to provide security and he bears a resentment to those who reject it, because of the emotional History he shared with someone who did, there is also an insecure aspect of his character brought about by this because of his reliance on those above and unable to think for himself.

Kogami other dimensions dissimilar to spike include his methodology, his persona, his desire to be of value in accordance with his own methodology, his history for getting his psycho pass up and his relationship with his former comrades and akane. Not the mention his animosity for kogami and how that evolves into ideological necessaity instead staying something personal.

He spews philosophical quotes and provides his perception of them, his perception of these quotes provides an in depth examination of his character motivation which is how dialogue should be used. And its this perception that gives the show it's depth.

Every story about characters talks about the human condition, psycho pass does it with a technologically advanced utopian society, challenges the concept of free will with psychologically under these circumstances. Psycho pass spews these quotes and the actions of the characters anf plot events are an exemplification of these quotes.

That's kinda the point of a debate , you provide your arguments for what you think and I provide mine , simply saying I don't see it doesn't make it valid, and entering with the stance that you can't be convinced no matter the explanation is myopic , but in your praise you have provided reasoning. I am kinda doing a bad job if I haven't convinced. And I fail to see why a subjective stance is relevant to a shows depth , for enjoyment sure.

Um....yes every troupe is overused that's why they are called troupes, some troupes may be more popular and known to what is considered a mainstream audience, that doesn't make them less overused than the unknown ones. Even someone like eodupus rex is troupe and shares, with elements used in other troupes as well.

It is popular ,it's just not a recent defense, this idea has been around since the days of Pablo Picasso, and records showed prior to that to the days of Tolstoy , when realism fiction in the Russian era was thriving.

To evolve something, you have to derive something that's how it works. The art of the bronze age did effect and establish what human beings would come to see as art.

Yes, all their actions inspite of how odds were examined and expanded upon to establish their motivation for them, making them interesting and layered.
Sep 2, 2019 4:43 PM

Mar 2015
DYED said:
Poputepipikku.
It wasn't an anime meant for a wider audience, but just for the niece fanbase behind the Pop Team Epic manga. As expected, the fan of the manga enjoyed it (I did too), while the casual watchers left with a bitter taste in their mouths.

Heh, stuff that happens.

not surprisingly since it's a series of lame joke.
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Sep 2, 2019 5:15 PM

Aug 2019
Aldnoah Zero. I went into the first season thinking it would suck and I would hate it, but it was actually one of the best shows I watched last year. I don't know why everyone said it was trash, the voice acting was great, the animation was nice, the character designs were on point, and the character's themselves were compelling and I wanted to follow their stories and see where it ended.

Sep 2, 2019 5:25 PM

Apr 2015
cant think of any. on the contrary, majority of anime shows should get way more hate because of their sheer blandness and unoriginality.
Sep 2, 2019 6:02 PM
Jan 2019
attack on titan really deserved the hates, seriously

and anyone who hate bunny girl and demon slayer are idiots
Sep 2, 2019 11:25 PM

Jul 2016
johnbradshaw said:
not surprisingly since it's a series of lame joke.

I disagree. Degustibus, but there really weren't any "lame" jokes. The one that didn't stand on their own legs were callbacks and inside jokes from the manga, so you needed prior knowledge to appreciate them.
Poputepipikku is a love it or hate it adaptation, and from the reviews I read, it all depends on the watcher's opinion and knowledge of the source material.
Your favorite anime is cringe. My favorite anime is a masterpiece.

Sep 3, 2019 3:08 AM
Nov 2015
OberonFelsach said:
cant think of any. on the contrary, majority of anime shows should get way more hate because of their sheer blandness and unoriginality.
that's too vague, and pretty much aplies to all fiction, as 95 percent in any piece is borrowed from somewhere else
Sep 3, 2019 8:05 AM

Nov 2014
@Black_Sheep97 excuse me, are you trying to teach me art lessons? Because if you're gonna do it, at least do a good job. First of all, you have missrepresent Pablo Picasso's quotes. Yes, he said absolute creativity doesn't exist, but that doesn't mean he said creativity didn't existed, or that it wasn't neccessary for artistic creation. And he said creativity, not originality, which are not synonyms. And that thing you'd call argument is even more disgusting when anyone takes into account the fact he belong to the Vanguards, artistic movements which tried to break with all previous artistic tradition.

And talking about things you got wrong, no, tropes aren't overused because that's their nature. When they become overused by all the hack writers who doesn't know how to write a good story for shit because some work use it and became popular, they become cliches. Depth doesn't have anything to do with it, either.

To be quite honest your mistakes are so big that i barely pay attention to the bullshit excuses you say that only proves Psycho Pass was successful tricking you into thinking this shit has depth, or it's even good.
Sep 3, 2019 9:25 AM

Oct 2010
DYED said:
Poputepipikku.
It wasn't an anime meant for a wider audience, but just for the niece fanbase behind the Pop Team Epic manga. As expected, the fan of the manga enjoyed it (I did too), while the casual watchers left with a bitter taste in their mouths.

Heh, stuff that happens.

Pop Team Epic is a successful anime in Japan though. Besides, it's basically meme comedy with plenty of references to other pop culture franchises. Honestly, the niche here is potentially every fan of absurd memes/shitposting on the internet which is a very wide and non-specific target audience.
Sep 3, 2019 9:31 AM

May 2016
yugioh series after original, haters are everywhere. it's like a nightmare 24/7
Sep 3, 2019 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
For me basically every Otome game that turned into an anime, i mean i understand that many love the game even better or just don't like how it was put out but i thought they were really good especially if you love romance anime. and Reverse Harems.
Sep 7, 2019 7:55 PM

Jun 2015
FAIRYTAIL!

sure I give it shit sometimes, but still my fav.

itskinda like the last jedi of anime. just not THAT bad.
Sep 7, 2019 9:09 PM

Oct 2017
MHA. Sure it's stereotypical in someways, but it executes everything really well. I thought Season 2 was amazing, from the character development to the music.
Hey there! If you'd like to talk about anime or anything else feel free to drop a comment on my page or DM me. I'd be glad to have a conversation and make some new friends :)
My list: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Amazinc?status=7&order=4&order2=0

Sep 7, 2019 10:43 PM

May 2013
DitF.

The latter part of the show is still decent and not as bad as many ppl made it look like.

Sep 8, 2019 8:12 AM
Jun 2014
Satsuriku no Tenshi. I loved every minute of it, but apparently it's not seen in a particularly good light. I'm assuming it's one of 'but da sauce' criticisms.

Also, SAO. Just to spite that other guy.
Oct 26, 2019 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
I'm surprised no one mentioned Gintama here. Gintama gets so much unnecessary hate for being rated so highly in this site. This anime doesn't deserve all the hatred it gets. Seriously grow up haters, if you hate the rating then just pretend that this anime doesn't exist in your life. It's not like we force you to watch and like this anime. Hating this anime for dumb reason such as rating is fkng immature and pathetic smh. I don't really care about the rating but seeing Gintama gets so much unnecessary hate from this site hurts my mental health.
removed-userNov 27, 2019 12:48 PM
Oct 26, 2019 8:36 PM
Oct 2019
I know it wasnt as good as the first, but the 2016 Beserk series was pretty solid despite the animation not being the best.
Oct 26, 2019 10:20 PM

Apr 2015
Pretty much every ecchi and CDCT shows. So much unnecessary hate towards these two.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Oct 26, 2019 10:30 PM

Nov 2008
Joshua_QT said:
Satsuriku no Tenshi. I loved every minute of it, but apparently it's not seen in a particularly good light. I'm assuming it's one of 'but da sauce' criticisms.

The fanbase is pretty active, tbh. Japan loved it.

Also, SAO. Just to spite that other guy.

Yesssssssssssss xD

Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Why is Japan Afraid of Realism in Anime?

TheSunLife - 1 hour ago

14 by TheSunLife »»
5 minutes ago

» Adventure/Action Shounen with the Best and Worst ROMANCE (just the ones that even tried)

Rob7 - Yesterday

19 by WaterMage »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime with best sound tracks!?

l_Photon_l - Yesterday

46 by Sphealz »»
18 minutes ago

» Why can't anime properly paradoy

Lol1268 - Sep 7

15 by WaterMage »»
18 minutes ago

» Underrated villains

JoeChip - 5 hours ago

13 by Zettaiken »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.