Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fire Force
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 5, 2019 12:57 PM
Sep 2016
I have to admit I'm pretty disappointed. Not sure what I was expecting though.
Great art and action scene animation. Those (ex-?)SHAFT staff are killing it but God is the story and character writing just super generic battle shounen (and not in any noteworthy way) ..fell asleep twice somewhere in the middle section of the episode since it got so by the numbers by the time main character stepped into the fire station. It felt so bland.
Only checked out a bit of the manga and I wish they started with him bumping into the girl before getting into the train station to provide a little narrative breathing room for build up and to just slightly spice the setup to finding out why he smiles like that in such a situation rather than just getting right into the action when the smile-related revelations were going to end up with the greater emotional payoff by the end of the episode.
Love the OP and ED. Mrs. Green Apple rocks. Might have to go back and check on the OST and sound design. Direction's kinda weak for the most part imo but whatevs. Something like that guy working out being upside down was presented better in the anime I think.
Really doesn't look like it'll be doing anything special. Just another battle shounen that's going to get popular and overhyped in a few weeks really mostly solely based on the merits of its production values, knowing the anime community, but who knows? It might be the one to surprise. We'll see.
So, in conjunction with my last sentiment, you bet I will be sticking around a bit for them sick animation cuts boii! RIP Sakugabooru lol.
JudoJDJul 5, 2019 1:55 PM
1.1.Six
Jul 5, 2019 12:59 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
WHAT AN OPENING EPISODE!

Premise, art, animation, sound, fitting music, direction, set pieces. Hell even hawt women with muscular bodies. This had it all. Early candidate for AOTS.

I'm absolutely baffled at people calling this generic. Where is the overpowered student council, imouto loli or chuuni characters here?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 5, 2019 1:01 PM
Apr 2019
please stop with generic complaints, it's 2019 everything is generic by now. It's still an awesome show
Jul 5, 2019 1:03 PM

Mar 2016
The story was interesting, and the backstory was sensible. This was a nice episode. I hope it only gets better.

The uniforms looked slightly weird, especially the one belonging to the woman they called 'sister'.

The flames looked so cool!! The animators did a great job.

Shinra's smile at the end was adorable.

I hope the ending isn't the real ending. I feel like fan service should only be a part of comedy anime.
Jul 5, 2019 1:04 PM
Apr 2019
The dub for this is awesome, I suggest the dub if you watch this
Jul 5, 2019 1:07 PM

Nov 2015
Is this boku no hero academia?

Amazing sakuga. Ok story.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jul 5, 2019 1:08 PM

Mar 2014
Very impressive first episode, wonder how the quality keeps up considering this is 2 cour

Music was good too
Jul 5, 2019 1:11 PM

Oct 2012
qwyxivi said:
The pacing felt a bit oddly ... slow? But I guess that just happens sometimes for adaptations.

I'm not seeing this at all. I saw an explanation of what they're fighting, character introductions, MCs back-story and two battles.
Jul 5, 2019 1:13 PM

May 2018
Either Shinra made a poor choice of joining or he's haunted by his past.
Jul 5, 2019 1:15 PM

Jan 2014
Kind of meh.
It's supposed to be a battle shounen, but the whole battle is off. It looks good, true, but the whole fight made no sense. What's the point of a battle plan if you are no gonna just stop with it anyways? A fight that was supposed to be intense with teamwork and stuff just turned into the team using half a move each to stop and stare at MC charging up his oneshot attack. Why?
Then they went way overboard with flashbacks. We don't need to see okaa-san 1000x times to get it that MC regrets whatever happened then. The first 3 times was already more than enough.

Other than these there is nothing to praise or bash with this series. OP is good I guess. But when the core mechanic of a show is already bad in ep 1, I don't have too much hope. If combat is more fleshed out later on it can be a decent enough show, but that's not the case so far.
Jul 5, 2019 1:16 PM
Jul 2014
Jesus. This looks totally like a Bones anime while being a David Pro stuff. The animation, character design, and Bones even worked on Soul Eater, so this weird. But I like it. Certainly has a bit of generic feeling, that I felt from the trailers too, but the execution looks nice!
Jul 5, 2019 1:24 PM

Apr 2019
Nicely executed first episode, we were itroduced to colorful cast of charracters and saw a little about the past of the protagonist. I also need to point out tha the opening is catchy and the animation is well done.
Jul 5, 2019 1:36 PM
Sep 2016
YorukaWaifu said:
Really good animation but nothing more.

That this and Dr Stone has more score than Kanata no Astra makes me lose faith in humanity. I guess it's impossible to get a good score nowadays in MAL if the anime is not a generic battle shounen.

Welcome to the anime community. We have drinks stored at the back.
1.1.Six
Jul 5, 2019 1:37 PM

Oct 2010
Not a bad start. But I'm pretty triggered by how they're translating "Eien no Hono" as "Flame of the Fire" instead of the more accurate "Eternal Flame". Eternal Flame is a more religious thing, so it fits the context better, but also "Flame of the Fire" is just redundant. It's a bad localization
Jul 5, 2019 1:38 PM

Aug 2015
"I'm gonna be a hero and save everyone!!!"

Eeeeeehhh can you get more generic?

That was actually a really nice first episode, the animation and the visuals were great and the fire looks amazing. I'm not sold on the story though and I haven't read the manga but it felt a little bit rushed.
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Jul 5, 2019 1:42 PM

Jul 2014
Holy shit, that was amazing! The premise is great, the art is great, the animation is great, the sound and the music are great, the characters are great, I loved everything, I even got a little teary eyed with the backstory.
Definitely my favorite show so far.
Jul 5, 2019 1:46 PM

Sep 2012
Shit. The animation is absolutely INSANE
Oh god who are you people?
Jul 5, 2019 1:47 PM
Jan 2019
YorukaWaifu said:
Really good animation but nothing more.

That this and Dr Stone has more score than Kanata no Astra makes me lose faith in humanity. I guess it's impossible to get a good score nowadays in MAL if the anime is not a generic battle shounen.

It's something called "opinion", but I guess you don't know what that means.
Jul 5, 2019 1:47 PM

May 2017
I would be lying if I would say that the visuals of this show did not carry this first episode. Characters seem cool but a little generic at first glance, same with the backstory of Shinra. But it seems cool so far, liked it more than dr stone
Jul 5, 2019 1:49 PM
Feb 2019
This first episode was so weird, the editing style is weird, is like the anime was I the middle and it had a lot of flashbacks and we barely know who the character is, he keeps saying that he want to be a hero, and the editing is weird, did I said that the editing is weird? Because it is. The anime is gourgeous thought, I live the animation, it's sakuga all over the place, but I didn't liked the direction
Jul 5, 2019 1:51 PM

Sep 2017
ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. i can already tell this is my summer season favourite,i also instantly fell in love with the ed...will be jamming to it until i cant take no more.
i like the ost they are using and sound effect (kinda reminds me of ajin one or typical action movies sound effects which once again,awesome)

mc's design is pretty appealing to me and also.... Makis biceps.....i love that they gave her a bigger build/muscles,i highly approve of this new religion.

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Jul 5, 2019 2:03 PM

Jun 2014
The visuals were top notch, wow. I enjoyed this first episode, yeah people are saying it's generic and while they aren't totally wrong, that doesn't mean it can't still be enjoyable. This show definitely looks like it'll be an entertaining one.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jul 5, 2019 2:13 PM

Aug 2013
Promising start. Loved the OP and the visuals so far. Hope they keep up the good work.

Jul 5, 2019 2:15 PM

Feb 2010
it looks like ao no exorcist mc looks alike they are both excluded from society and wanna be heroes and they have both flaming powers lol idk imma continue anyways

𝓜𝔂𝓐𝓷𝓲𝓶𝓮𝓛𝓲𝓼𝓽

The inner sea of the planet. The platform of the watchtower. From the edge of paradise you shall hear my words.
Your story shall be full of blessings. ━Let only those without sin pass. "Garden of Avalon"!
Jul 5, 2019 2:16 PM

Feb 2019
According to rumors David production would have an episode budget equal to or greater than Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood that has around 300K $

Before they block me for life I tell them that I know the manga, was really a shounen story under the standard without anything special, without notable characters (except 1 or 2), the fire powers of MC that are like those of natsu and many other protagonists,
, there are scenes of fanservice as absurd as if it were to love ru.

If the mere fact of having a good production and an excellent animation makes any storie of manga/novel stand out, it makes me think that what matters most now is the technical, an isekai like maou-sama retry could have had this level production and it would be This the anime that everyone praises and love.
Jul 5, 2019 2:23 PM

Feb 2019
Nothing to write home about. The animation was decent in most places better in others. There are quite a few questions left unanswered done in such a way that they seem like they will be addressed later on. The main characters backstory feels pretty contrived and not all that original in its basic framework.

I think overall the shows premise is too out there for me but I wanted to at least give it a shot. Miles better than Dr. Stone's first episode.
Jul 5, 2019 2:29 PM

Mar 2019
Well, at least the animation is really nice. As a concept this thing is fucking stupid. And, the characters are abrasive. I was already sick of the main character's smiling by the end of the episode. Kudos to David Pro for the nice animation, but I can't waste time on what is essentially a generic shounen. He wants to be a hero... Woop de doo. Really breaking new ground there.
Jul 5, 2019 2:32 PM
Dec 2015
Visuals were really good but a lot of the exposition was done terribly imo. Many scenes felt really weird and made me thinking "why the hell are they talking about this, if it's their job they should already know all of that". Besides, the main character and his backstory are obviously not very original. And ofc there was some very bad fanservice... okay, but why already in first episode? Those flashbacks too... They really do feel out of place. The fight didn't make much sense to me either. Everyone other that the main protagonist seemed to be useless. I guess it's difficult to expect a good shounen anime nowadays.

I doubt it'll get much better, gonna skip this show.
Jul 5, 2019 2:32 PM
Jan 2009
elementex said:
The dub for this is awesome, I suggest the dub if you watch this

I am watching it only in English. Nice fact: Jeremy "Captain Obi" was a fire fighter/EMT about 20 years ago.

Having not read the manga, someone please tell me this: Is Iris the lead female?
Kadmos1Jul 5, 2019 2:38 PM
Jul 5, 2019 2:40 PM
Dec 2018
Just realized the author is the same one from Soul Eater, which makes this even better. I am really enjoying the cast so far and the OST is amazing, although Shinra's backstory is rather generic. Overall this was a very good episode and it is simply 24 minutes of pure sakuga. Looking forward to the next episode!
Jul 5, 2019 2:43 PM

May 2015
Nice first episode! Looking forward to seeing more Maki.

♡ artist
サコ
Jul 5, 2019 2:52 PM
Apr 2019
RayReynolds said:
According to rumors David production would have an episode budget equal to or greater than Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood that has around 300K $

Before they block me for life I tell them that I know the manga, was really a shounen story under the standard without anything special, without notable characters (except 1 or 2), the fire powers of MC that are like those of natsu and many other protagonists,

If the mere fact of having a good production and an excellent animation makes any storie of manga/novel stand out, it makes me think that what matters most now is the technical, an isekai like maou-sama retry could have had this level production and it would be This the anime that everyone praises and love.

This is the truth of the current anime landscape, people flock to high budget productions. It can make a mediocre story like demonslayer into a huge hit among the masses
Jul 5, 2019 2:56 PM

May 2013
Látom??? Why the hell are they speaking hungarian?
Jul 5, 2019 3:05 PM

Jul 2016
Good episode. Amazing art and animation. Liked the cast, the OP is catchy and the ED is nice visual. Overall good start too like Dr Stone.

Jul 5, 2019 3:08 PM
Jul 2018
elementex said:
RayReynolds said:

This is the truth of the current anime landscape, people flock to high budget productions. It can make a mediocre story like demonslayer into a huge hit among the masses

Totally agreed. If this had an average budget I doubt that it would even reach a 7.5. I read the manga and it's as mediocre as Black Clover or even worse.

This only applies to battle shounen though. We have Symphogear or Granbelm this season that have a high budget but they are never going to get a high score. The hypocrisy of MAL...
removed-userJul 5, 2019 3:26 PM
Jul 5, 2019 3:10 PM

May 2015
Remember people, generic ≠ bad.

Jul 5, 2019 3:14 PM
Aug 2018
All the characters seems likeable and its fun to see them interacting with each other. Can't wait to see Sister's backstory.
Jul 5, 2019 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Yeah, we know that being generic is bad only when the anime is a LN adaptation or a CGDCT. When it's a battle shounen, being generic is positive.
Jul 5, 2019 3:19 PM

Jan 2017
I had no doubts when I saw the episode and it blew me away. Animation was amazing and I loved the op and ed. Too bad they had to crop things out from the manga but it was still good. I really liked looking at the scene where Shinra picked up Sister Iris, very breathtaking. Can't wait for the next episode.
Jul 5, 2019 3:20 PM
Mar 2018
Shouldn't the mods also add the genres "Supernatural" and "Superpower"?
Jul 5, 2019 3:21 PM
Apr 2016
The animation and artstyle is godly, seriously. I'm not a big fan of the concept, but still, I think I will enjoy it quite a lot. Interesting how when he's nervous; an automatic smile shows up. Very unique anime, that's for sure.
Jul 5, 2019 3:41 PM

Jan 2018
The previews looked god damn amazing, so the first episode had a lot to live up to, and it did just that! Pretty much everything was extremely well animated, which is honestly surprising for a David Production show as they aren't usually the best at animated fights, however this has the most consistent animation since Mob Psycho 100 season 2. The characters are all interesting with great designs, and the story is very unique. If Vinland Saga flops, THIS will be the anime of the season no doubt.
Jul 5, 2019 3:46 PM

May 2015
YorukaWaifu said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Yeah, we know that being generic is bad only when the anime is a LN adaptation or a CGDCT. When it's a battle shounen, being generic is positive.

Not saying it's a positive thing either.

Jul 5, 2019 3:47 PM

Mar 2019
Holy shit, this discussion threads are always the same. Do People really think that the word "generic" is a fair criticism? Lol you sure don't read books. Everything can be called generic because it's fucking 2019 and EVERYTHING'S BEEN DONE YET. And it's just the first episode. You think you are intelligent and "critic" when repeating the same stupid adjective for every first anime episode. But you are not, you just look like wannabe critics. "It doesn't anything new" and how is it bad? Remember that Agatha Christie didn't add anything new to the premise of her genre, and still she is the best writer of detective stories. But you would just call her "generic" LOL

The episode was fine and the animation Amazing.
Jul 5, 2019 3:48 PM
Jan 2018
uninstallthegame said:
not a bad start. the animation was good, and overall seems like a pretty faithful adaptation

sarazanmai had even better animation than this, but the story was shit. at least here i know the source material, so i won't get disappointed
Sarazanmai had better animation? You sure about that?
Jul 5, 2019 3:56 PM

Oct 2017
Animation looks pretty,characters are nice
Waiting for next ep
Jul 5, 2019 3:58 PM
Jan 2018
I find it kinda ironic that people say this episode felt slow even though it basically rushed the entire 50 page first chapter.

Anyways this first episode was fantastic. Animation was great, storyboards and direction was very nice as well. Love the use of neon colours in some of the scenes. You can definitely tell that people from shaft had a hand in this. The story itself is decent enough but it's the direction that will elevate it imo. The OP (just like the episode) was pure sakuga and it was awesome but the ED takes the came for me.

Just to point out, this series will be 4 cours (48-52) episodes but after the first 24 episodes they'll likely go on a 3-6 month break. Not a the episodes will be on the same level as this one, there will be occasional dips in quality but it should deliver some other episodes of this caliber(or even higher).
Jul 5, 2019 3:59 PM

Feb 2019
YorukaWaifu said:
elementex said:

Totally agreed. If this had an average budget I doubt that it would even reach a 7.5. I read the manga and it's as mediocre as Black Clover or even worse.

This only applies to battle shounen though. We have Symphogear or Granbelm this season that have a high budget but they are never going to get a high score. The hypocrisy of MAL...

in Fact Fire brigade 8.29 vs Granbelm 6.60

being that Granbelm has not done anything particularly bad.
Jul 5, 2019 4:00 PM
Nov 2013
Great animation and likable characters, this should be fun.
Jul 5, 2019 4:03 PM
Apr 2019
one episode in and im in love
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Enen no Shouboutai Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2019

139 by _Ne0n_ »»
Sep 15, 12:43 AM

Poll: » Enen no Shouboutai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2019

223 by BorchHatesStein »»
Sep 14, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Enen no Shouboutai Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2019

203 by flokigoat »»
Aug 31, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Enen no Shouboutai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2019

127 by flokigoat »»
Aug 29, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Enen no Shouboutai Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2019

73 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Jul 11, 10:19 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.