Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 28, 2020 7:04 AM

Dec 2015
Loggi said:
The story feels like a fanfiction written by a 15 year old.
Other than that the ost is amazing as usual and the visuals are great.

That sounds dangerously close to Unicorn and other Fukui-based products...

Nothing to say, I couldn't force me to watch further than the free 10 minutes trial before its release. Nothing in it lured me to want more (unlike Gundam's or the incredible Turn A's pilots for example)

Approximative score: 5/10 (probably less had I watched its entirety)

St0rmblade said:
I thought that I would get to see Mineva a bit more.

{whispering} Moon Gundam, Fukui's Moon Gundam...
XD

"Never let Fukui Harutoshi near Gundam again"
Finally, you're being back to reasonable. ;)

"stop milking Gundam"
Or rather U.C. Gundam. The alternative Gundam series set in other universes were created for a reason: to do it all over again with a slightly different spin / flavour for another era's youth.
Though, in the end, it doesn't spoil anything for us, we are free to stop wherever we want, knowing our own borders/tolerance. ^^

I think what makes Unicorn more appealing is: Yasuhiko's original chara-design (giving a sense of old time), its reliance on several things Gundam (thematical/historical elements... élthough I find it "fan-servicy", I liked the Ple exploitation for example, the guest appearances by Furuya and hearing more of Ikeda), , and the clear "sense" of direction the director had. With a "no-name", or rather an average "maker" rather than a "director", the show would have lost a lot of his gloss. Here, with no gloss, you can really see what Fukui is.

Anyway, since I realize you can stand way more things than me, i guess I will definitely avoid this film.
Let's hope Hathaway's Flash won't lost too much of its Tomino-ness for the sake of making it more in line with all this Unicorn expanding collection.
In a way, the replacement of the good old (and way more iconic) RX78 by the Unicorn statue was a (bad) sign.

PS: is the interview worthwhile? I'm not sure I want to lose anymore time with that guy if there is nothing interesting to hear from him.
Rei_IIIJul 14, 2020 1:04 AM
May 23, 2020 3:53 PM
Jan 2018
Idk, this movie had me feeling some kinda way? I liked the emotional scenes, but man does this movie feel kinda pointless at the end. I liked it more than most, I'm sure, and the OST is so good!

Is it me, or was the Gundam Narrative completely fucking useless? It just jobbed out most of the time.
Jun 7, 2020 1:35 PM
May 2020
Man, that had to have been the worst UC timeline gundam I've watched so far. Melodrama everywhere, super convoluted newtype nonsense...Well at least it was just 1 movie.
Jul 9, 2020 12:17 PM

Aug 2017
*dies from cringe*

Why does this even exist? Gundam NT a.k.a Gundam No Thanks. Worst entry in the UC timeline. Nobody ever dare tell me that ZZ was not enjoyable. Unfitting OST, bad designs, bad plot, bad characters, bad dialogue, bad everything. And here I thought that I would get to see Mineva and Banagher a bit more. Haha. I stopped caring about the movie after ~10 minutes in, it was all over the place. The only good parts are flashbacks to CCA lmao. Plus that reanimated colony drop, and maybe a few scenes about how Titans treat CNTs.

0/10 never let Fukui Harutoshi near Gundam again. Or maybe it was the fault of a newbie director. Anyway, please stop milking Gundam. Though it's just wishful thinking of course. It will not end.

An interview with Harutosh about Yamato 2202 and Gundam NT (mostly Yamato and with spoilers):
https://ourstarblazers.com/vault/392a/

-------------

@Rei_III Nah the interview is as useless as this guy, so you probably shouldn't waste your time haha. I skimmed through it and it didn't catch my attention as particularly interesting. He's just talking about the "themes" of the shows, veeery broadly.

Regarding the statues, I hear that there're more to come:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-07-11/life-size-freedom-gundam-statue-to-rise-above-shanghai/.161726
St0rmbladeJul 14, 2020 1:02 AM
Sep 27, 2020 7:25 AM

Jan 2010
As someone who loved Unicorn i was very disappointed. Poor direction weak villain.Even Hiroyuki Sawano's score didn't live up to the potential, not sure if it was because he was doing AoT at the same time or what. I give it a 6-7. Felt more like a compilation ova than a movie. Only thing i liked were the Titan flashbacks and mechs.
Apr 18, 2021 9:12 PM

Sep 2011
There was alot of things I could see working had it had more time, like had this been in chronological order across a longer runtime like a 12 episode show so we could actually give a shit about jona and his friend's lives instead of it all being flashbacks interrupting the plot I could of seen this being very emotional. I actually quote like the movie from a thematic standpoint of how it is a fairly optimistic view of death and how you have to force your way through tragedy, but execution was awful and that shit doesnt register much at all.

The newtype fuckery can't be ignored though, that shit was just absurd. Also god damn was the villain maybe the worst of any UC gundam.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 28, 2021 7:12 AM

Aug 2017
Despite I don't like Zeta so much, I love the references. Unfortunately, I didn't like the protagonist very much and Zoltan was over the top. I like several themes of the movie as always. This is the tenth Gundam I've started watching and my tenth completed Gundam. 5/10 for the movie.
NurguburuMay 28, 2021 8:11 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 5, 2021 5:50 PM

Apr 2016
Only memorable thing about it was the 30 seconds of watching people die spectacularly.

Oct 23, 2021 7:40 AM

Dec 2008
huh.... from which corner of hell came this movie?
Please stop with more magical Gundam movies from UC timeline.
newtype doesn't exist for me, all die early anyway lol

so, the golden Gundam was actually empty from beginning?
Really, poor Rita :(

when you liked Unicorn, please ignore this empty movie.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 7, 2021 5:45 AM

Sep 2014
ehhh
i enjoyed it well enough, and as unciron fanboy was very happy to see minerva and banagher at the end, but the whole movie feels detached from uc
the newtype thing went too far and kinda contradicts earlier entries no? how did earth children become newtypes like that? why we never heard of them miracle kids before?
the whole heaven/soul/i want to be a bird scenes on loop was bit annoying, how many times can you repeat it and for what reaason
zoltan, as much as i love edgy characters, was pushed too far and even had to look like some marilyn manson clown
some cool fights and lasers and music but that's that

wasn't a bad watch, i enjoyed it, but it's silly and in my head not cannon
6/10 and it's being generous
ImaishiNov 7, 2021 5:50 AM
Dec 8, 2021 11:57 AM

Sep 2019
Another generic autistic edgy boi anime villain...let's go...
Dec 12, 2021 2:00 PM
Apr 2012
Weirdly, I enjoyed the pretty fights and philosophical talks. I was even intrigued at the attempt to explore metaphysical topics in Gundam (for example, the idea of Luio company and Earth politicians relying on fortunetelling to make their decisions is definitely hair-raising, but can explain a lot about some of those questionable decisions). It tried to explain Newtype magic scientifically... then gave up halfway and waved it off with "we can't perceive it". In the end it escaped human understanding, so it couldn't be used for anything on purpose. I guess the ending was actually good then.

The main flaw of this story is that it feels completely irrelevant in the end... unless it's supposed to take out Newtypes entirely out of Gundam, well, narrative (lol).

Ok, using Newtype magic to cause fusion reaction was really cool. And the backstory of the Miracle Kids was appropriately tragic. I was moved by Michele's guilt and desire to make up for what she did.

Not a bad movie, but not great. Still, it was a decent watch.
Mar 4, 2022 4:04 PM

Feb 2012
Ah Fukui, the self-proclaimed JJ Abrams of Gundam....

Had the Blu-ray unopened for a long time. I wanted to do a Unicorn rewatch before this but oh well, decided the first time I watched this in full is a downscaled 720p version

There's clear cinematic parts and I get that they were going hard on the human experimentation angle we've seen before like Lalah, Four or Marida but it feels way to rushed. It's plot is spread all over the timeline; during Operation British (0079), parallel to the events of Zeta and then after Unicorn.

It's not a setup for something bigger like the first Hathaway movie, it's not the conclusion to long saga of rivalry like Char's Counterattack; Narrative feels like a compilation movie for a series that doesn't exist, and not good ones like the MSG movies. It's the same vibes as A New Translation movies but worse. This should have been another OVA series like Unicorn was.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 30, 2022 9:30 PM

Jun 2014
This wasn't all that great. Not horrible, either, but it lacked depth, due to only being an hour and a half, and the new cast of characters weren't all that memorable. The whole "eternal life" bit was strange, and not my cup of tea at all.

I enjoyed Unicorn a lot, but NT pales in comparison. To be honest, if you were to get rid of all the "Newtype" bullshit, Gundam as a franchise would be much better.

May 23, 2022 2:21 AM

Jul 2008
The movie is ok but the story is definitely weaker than the prequel. It gives you a sense that the main character Jona not that important and is better off not appearing in the future.
Aug 5, 2022 3:33 PM

Jan 2013
Very forgettable. Constant flashbacks to the same event made the direction look amateurish.
Sep 26, 2022 5:51 AM

Jul 2014
A story that only exists because it adds in new details that were supposedly there the whole time but never shown, mentioned or in any way foreshadowed is rarely a good story, not least because you really have to bend backwards to then justify why those elements weren't active at all elsewhere in the timeline. Captain Marvel is perhaps the best example of that, but this movie has that problem as well: where was the Phenex during Unicorn, where were these "Miracle Children" during all the previous wars and how were they able to maintain their experiments without interruption during all that time? Oh, and there's also the massive lore contradiction that comes from Rita awakening Newtype abilities on Earth, when literally the entire point of them is that they only awaken in space.

More importantly, I feel like the writer of this fundamentally misunderstood what Newtypes are and what purpose they serve, so that makes the entire movie close to unwatchably bad when Newtype bullshit is front and centre throughout. That also means that I feel absolutely nothing for these new characters, despite the flashbacks' best attempts to do the heavy lifting that this movie ultimately doesn't have time to do with them (though I didn't understand how the blue-hair one clearly heard the evil scientist say that he would feed them false information about what would happen to the true Miracle Child, yet still fell for it hook, line and sinker).

Not as bad as ZZ, but definitely one of the absolute lowest points of UC Gundam so far. 5/10
Oct 7, 2022 8:40 PM
Jul 2017
Not sure why this wasn't a continuation of a Banagher story. OVA treatment like suggested above would've been preferable. Felt so rushed and empty. Of course the callbacks to AEUG and other events fill the need for the Gundam viewer.
Oct 9, 2022 11:35 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Correct film, Gundam film, but If I compare it to other Gundam movies, it's insufficient, below average, and below expectations.

The fault has been its development, it has lacked drama and depth, in addition to the fact that the characters have not fully engaged, and for this reason the final scene has been left lame without the tear it was looking for and without that halo of hope in the future. ..

6/10 is my vote kekeke
Oct 20, 2022 1:41 AM

Oct 2013
You all lied to me, this movie was good. 7/10, nice story and animation. Newtype fuckery was a bit heavy-handed, but it made sense thematically. The villain kinda sucked, but thankfully he's not that relevant.
Jan 10, 2023 11:31 PM

Dec 2018
It was okay. A solid 5/10 if you will. The story honestly had the potential to be pretty good, but the boring characters kinda took all the emotion and weight out of each story beat.

The best thing to come out of this was Vigilante

Sep 25, 2023 3:18 AM

Jul 2017
good but not great.
many missed oppurtunities, many reused scenes, i liked to see minerva and banagher even if it was brief.
for me 7/10, interesting but wasted potential
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Nov 19, 2023 1:43 PM

Feb 2016
This movie isn't anywhere near as bad as Unicorn. I only wish it could have been good.
LucifrostNov 19, 2023 1:51 PM
その目だれの目?
Apr 27, 8:05 AM

May 2015
The writing is so excruciatingly mediocre, it's a shame some good resources were wasted on creating this movie. If Unicorn at least was riding some nostalgia waves, here we are expected to follow some miracle randos. I wouldn't mind getting behind a story about new characters if it was even remotely good, but retconning an established universe just to add to the uniqueness of such characters is never a good idea. The longer the movie went the less I cared about anything that was happening, even though at first it didn't look too bad. But in the end it felt like a complete waste of time.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Hathaway, Thunderbolt, and Narrative to get TV editions (Winter 2023 season)

The_Sum_of_Zero - Jan 15, 2023

0 by The_Sum_of_Zero »»
Jan 15, 2023 12:16 AM

» Banhager? Unicorn and Banshee?

Inorichi - Dec 6, 2018

9 by ShanaFlame »»
May 23, 2022 2:19 AM

» Necklace of Jona?

FateX00 - Sep 24, 2020

0 by FateX00 »»
Sep 24, 2020 9:28 AM

» so... a new entry to the gundam timeline

removed-user - Sep 12, 2018

11 by Rei_III »»
Jul 14, 2020 12:47 AM

» Initial 23-Minute Streaming

LycoReco - Nov 30, 2018

7 by CodeBlazeFate »»
Jun 1, 2019 2:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.