Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 30, 2018 11:04 PM

Dec 2015
@carlowesome The background story is indeed related to the origin of huma nity.
About the christian imagery, the creator/director used it for "coolness factor" only.

October 7, 2019
@Rayl1ght Not "later", no, although you will get plenty more problems/intrigues to observe to get it yourself. There are enough evidence for most of them, and when you add them up, it's more or less obvious.
Rei_IIIOct 6, 2019 11:41 PM
May 1, 2018 12:42 AM

Nov 2016
Rei366 said:
@carlowesome The background story is indeed related to the origin of huma nity.
About the christian imagery, the creator/director used it for "coolness factor" only.

oh damn.. interesting! thanks for letting me know. i really dont know what to expect now but i'm ready to be surprised and amazed haha
May 27, 2018 10:28 AM

Aug 2017
Shinji, Rei and Asuka working together is great! Misato and Kanji inside the elevator LOL.

A blackout is a good idea for a change in this episode. 4/5

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 25, 2018 10:03 PM

Feb 2017
The battle plan was cool in a small-scale tactics way.
Dec 9, 2018 9:51 AM

Aug 2013
Another good episode.

Nice to see the three of them working together.

Jan 9, 2019 6:57 PM
Jan 2019
Team work kicks ass!
This episode is'nt bad but isn't good, it's just there. But, it still have some good things like how Rei, Shinji and Asuka are forced to work all together and shows us how good they can be when they work as a team.
My favorite scene is the last one when Rei says "Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire". It brings us a little of reflection to our own lifes.
Mar 16, 2019 5:42 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Zerachroma said:
-- " But that's like the commander and the sub-commander, they aren't bothered by this much heat"

Sub commander -- "It's lukewarm"

Commander -- "Yeah"

OMFGROFLLMAO :D

Best moment of this episode, xD!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 19, 2019 1:47 PM

Dec 2018
I completely loathe Asuka. Possibly the most detestable anime character I have watched.

Everything not Asuka and the awkward comedic relief scenes has been very solid these last few episodes though.
Apr 23, 2019 8:10 AM

May 2016
The most advanced facility in Japan was rendered completely useless because of someone messing with the power supply. It's very handy that they actually made it possible to enter the labs in the event of a full power outage as well as making it possible to prepare and release Evas manually. If it weren't for the kids taking the initiative to sneak into the facility and Commander Ikari having everyone work together, they wouldn't have been able to beat that Angel leaking its caustic tears over HQ.

I have to say that Commander Ikari soaking his feet in lukewarm water and acting like the heat's not fazing him was the funniest part of the episode.

May 16, 2019 12:46 PM
Apr 2016
Well, a major blackout, surprising that an Angel managed to put out so much power. Good episode.
May 24, 2019 5:15 PM
Jan 2019
This episode is so funny xD
Jun 27, 2019 5:25 PM

May 2017
Zerachroma said:
-- " But that's like the commander and the sub-commander, they aren't bothered by this much heat"

Sub commander -- "It's lukewarm"

Commander -- "Yeah"

OMFGROFLLMAO :D

I just want to let you know it's 2019 and that is still hilarious
Jul 5, 2019 6:22 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode! It seems that we do have a spy and it needs to be rat out soon.

Despite Asuka's constant headbutting Rei when it comes to decision making, she made the right choice this time around.

Of course, Rei doesn't care. As long as it gets the job done.

I thought Misato and Kaiji will be making out once again since they are stuck on an elevator XD

Despite Ikari once again being cold to Shinji, he still relies to Shinji to pull through at the end.

Next episode! Misato's past!
Jul 31, 2019 1:28 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The interplay between the characters is just so funny and charming sometimes. Even the side characters get their chances to shine here and there.

Highlight of the episode is the humane face of both commanders.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 6, 2019 12:09 AM

Oct 2012
In the end who's the perpetrator? The one sabotaged the powers
They really don't like to explain things huh
Keeping us in the dark, maybe later-ish
"Signature removed"
Oct 23, 2019 5:12 PM
Jul 2018

^Today's episode immediately reminded me of this pic. I can't lie, I've closed the elevator on a few people lol
Nov 7, 2019 5:51 PM

Sep 2011
Great episode, I loved the dynamic of the trio, good to see them becoming friends.

Someone it's finally starting to questioning from where the angels come. I really curious to know more about them.

So the blackout was just another organization trying to sabotage them? It was a little vague, but I doubt that they will mention this again.
Jan 8, 2020 4:43 PM

Sep 2017
This was a cool episode. The trio dynamic is starting to become more compelling. Also, NERF having a power outage was a great idea as a plot device. It let the show explore the comedy (and even heroism) of doing things manually in the most robotic facility imaginable. Also, Ritsuko pointing out that one could learn a lot about NERF by watching how they restore power was interesting. And of course, the intimacy of being in the dark.
LordQuazJan 18, 2020 9:17 PM
Mar 22, 2020 8:49 AM

May 2019
I'm the only one who seems suspicious that the Angels knew just the right place and time to attack, just like in the ship episode, it's as if someone warned them...

I suppose it will be the same one that sabotaged the electricity, or maybe is just a coincidence.
Jul 12, 2020 4:11 PM

Feb 2020
a slower, more internal episode that builds up on the idea of something fishy happening inside nerv. i liked it! and i like how we got to see more of the dynamic between rei, asuka and shinji

there is something strange about these angels, they always seem to appear at very convenient moments when the pilots or eva units aren't ready. i think gendo ikari has something to do with it (mainly because i don't like the guy and he seems suspicious) but let's see

still love this show :)
Jul 16, 2020 3:46 PM

Dec 2010
This episode was pure gold for all kinds of reasons, recounting every good part is simply pointless. Comedy-wise though, I can't decide if the "hot" scene takes the cake though or "Disgusting." I felt so bad for Shinji though, no man deserves to be placed in a position where he has to choose a side between two women.

This episode is a good example of the good parts missed by Rebuild. It's a popular opinion that Asuka's characterisation got butchered there, but Rei, despite getting a lot of screen time, is still missing such important bits like her philosophical thoughts. This is a detail of utmost importance when it pertains character often perceived almost as a "robot" in the community. Her comment about treating just like everyone else, if not worse, is also key - and to no small amount because it reveals that this concept is something she has actively pondered on.
It sure feels nice to not be treated as mentally challenged by the writers, when such important aspects can be delivered through simple or even subtle cues.
Oct 2, 2020 11:43 PM

Apr 2020
This episode was pretty neat

Shinji is asking the real questions here!
I too didn't bother to even think who tf are these Angels and why they are called 'Angels'?
--AbiSa--
Oct 10, 2020 2:26 AM

Aug 2018
It was awesome seeing the trio work together towards great victory. And the tree of them chilling in the end symbolizes that we are gonna be seeing a lot of interesting things in the future. Even Misato had her own moments which were funny.

This version of futuristic Tokyo truly is impressive but terrifying at the same time
Oct 21, 2020 6:08 PM

Jun 2020
wow i especially loved the cinematography this episode, it was great. poor shinji.....craving some kind of parental love from gendo. i loved that "coincidence" when he was on the phone with him & then the blackout happened which brought the call to end, it was almost like he hung up - which he most probably would have.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Nov 2, 2020 3:44 AM

Dec 2012
Laundry.
lol at Misato closing the door on Kaji.
Shinji calls Gendo.
Damn Gendo.
The powers out.
An Angel.
lol at Gendo with the bucket filled with water. Its lukewarm.
She cute.
Dat Angel. Dem eyes.
Gendo doing manual labor.
Dem kicks.
Dat acid.
They beat it.
Misato. She gotta go.
Dat fall.
Disgusting.
Dat ending.

Gendo was a dick on the phone to Shinji. No fanservice by Misato next episode?
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 1, 2021 10:11 PM

Aug 2019
lmao what an episode, a lot of unfortunate events happening at once. So someone managed to break into NERV and do the impossible, which was shut down the entire facility? I guess the whole of NERV and Tokyo 3 are prepared for attacks from angels, but not from other humans. Interesting that right as NERV shutdown, the angel attacked, either meaning the humans that shut NERV down know when the angels will attack, or it was sheer bad luck.

Ah, yeh Asuka was being real pushy this episode, don't fully understand what her deal is against Rei, like Rei is literally doing her own thing, and actually trying to get shit down, while Asuka decides on the nitty-gritty shit like "leading roles". I mean you're literally in a massive state of emergency, do you really need to worry about that of all things rn? Asides from that, i'll give her this one tho, she did formulate the plan to take down the angel in probably one of the toughest terrains, a literal pipeline downwards with them having the disadvantages, so wp to her.
Feb 21, 2021 7:10 AM
Jul 2017
when i saw long haired guy with gigbag in the beginning of the episode:

"IS THAT RAY MINAMI FROM BECK???!!"
Mar 8, 2021 3:27 PM

Nov 2019
Holy.. Asuka has probably to be the most unlikeable character I met in an anime. Ever.
Mar 8, 2021 5:33 PM

Mar 2010
Back to Asuka being annoyinga again lmao.
Mar 25, 2021 10:04 AM

Jun 2020
Goddamn Asuka is fucking annoying

Misato backstory next episode? 👀
May 9, 2021 11:39 PM
Jul 2018
Tch

I insulted both Rei and Asuka in the past, but as I predicted, they're not as annoying. Asuka's still pretty annoying tbh, and I don't see why she's a fan favorite other than her lUsCiOuS bOdY. But both of them are becoming less cold I think. I think it's evident that they choose to hang out with each other. They'll defend this notion by bringing up "work-related purposes" or something. But the way they walk to school or work together, or were seen chilling together after the fight scene. For the aforementioned reasons, Rei and Asuka are growing on me -- in that the animosity is shrinking, and that they're slowly forming a group. I guess "dynamic" is the word I'm looking for -- they have a satisfying dynamic. TL;DR, I've been complaining about Rei and Asuka on the forums, but my gripes are diminishing with each episode. They're not necessarily becoming more likable, but they are becoming less unlikable -- and I find myself relatively content when the three of them are together.

I have to say, this angel was pretty weak lol. Probably the weakest in the entire series up to this point. All you need to do is fire from underneath it.
Ironically, this is the first fight with all three units 0, 1, and 2 -- working together.
Strange, I didn't think Rei was able to. Whether it be her mind or the "prototype" she operates.
They still never elaborated on what it meant that Rei is "incompatible with living." They said that in an earlier episode. But she seemed pretty reliable in this episode -- for the first time ever lol, or at least when it truly counted.

"The Angel was killed using standard-issue Eva firearms, the only successful attempt at doing so," the Wikipedia literally said, post-typing. That's a testament to how weak this angel was... and yet, this was the first threeway-coordinated attack. Smh, that feels a bit ironic/inconsistant. But not a complaint, just more of an interesting observation.

Also, bruh, they never revealed the source of the power outage...
removed-userMay 10, 2021 1:40 PM
Jun 9, 2021 9:38 PM

Apr 2020
Asuka is getting really annoying now, but atleast she does heroic deeds in job
Jul 24, 2021 11:05 PM
Jul 2021
I gotta say that this is was a great episode. Asuka, Rei, and Shinji all working together just to get tot their EVA's was great, and then Asuka taking charge and thinking of a battle plan was really good to make me like her character more.

Commander and Vice-Commander being nonplussed by the heat was the funniest part of the ep. I like that Ikari himself is quite cold towards his son as a person, but genuinely thinks him capable as a pilot. It's a strange dichotomy and relationship that I hope gets addressed in the future.

I am 99% sure that Kaji had something to do with the sabotage.
Aug 10, 2021 4:53 PM

Jan 2021
Just like what Shinjis dad said mankind’s worst enemy is man itself

Aug 23, 2021 3:52 PM

Aug 2017
Still don't understand why people like Asuka, she is just irritanting imo

Maybe she will become more likeable later idk
Nov 7, 2021 6:46 AM

Aug 2020
Everyone hates on Asuka, but I'm hating on Shinji's dad. What a prick he is.

Well, at least in this episode, we can see the trio work together.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 24, 2021 9:23 AM
Nov 2020
This series will keep getting spicier and spicier the further you go.
Dec 15, 2021 2:38 PM

May 2019
Government system run by the Magi is either a really good or a really bad decision...

Poor Shinji just trying to connect with jerk of a Dad...Luckily he connects with his suit, Misato, his school buds, now Rei and Asuka (despite Asuka being a total spoiled brat).

Seems as if the power was sabotaged. Then seems the Angels know when to attack?
Interesting.
Each angel is metaphorical in some way in looks and behavior (unique to each episode)...to the pilots' and Shinji's connections to the world and personal experiences.

I wish Asuka would leave poor Rei alone. Leave her alone! I want to know more about Rei.
Dec 16, 2021 6:26 AM
Oct 2011
skatensleep said:
Government system run by the Magi is either a really good or a really bad decision..
Why can't it be both?
Dec 16, 2021 12:51 PM

May 2019
animalia said:
skatensleep said:
Government system run by the Magi is either a really good or a really bad decision..
Why can't it be both?

Totally could be. After a later episode I got more insight into this. I will have to see.
Jan 2, 2022 8:19 AM

Jul 2021
It was really cool to see the 3 drivers fighting together. I'm curious to know who caused this episode's problems.
asdasdsadad
Jan 31, 2022 8:38 PM

Feb 2021
The commander and sub-commander moment had me rolling.

So humans are the ones responsible for this blackout.

Well they defeated the 8th angel pretty easily. t didn't even activate it's AT Field.
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
"Everything I've witnessed... This whole system you have built has always rejected me. Now I'm ready to reject it. That's why I destroy. That's why I took this power for myself. Simple enough, yeah? I don't care if you don't understand... That's what makes us... Heroes and Villains."
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
Apr 4, 2022 7:51 PM

Dec 2021
interesting to see asuka's insecurities, misato and kajis interactions r funny

really nice to understand what people mean by freud n shit
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Apr 7, 2022 3:21 PM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 20, 2022 8:17 PM

Oct 2020
Asuka was still very much... Asuka
But it was nice to see her swallow her pride a tiny bit to actually work together with Shinji and Rei for the sake of the mission. Part of me was hoping they'd stumble into a restricted area and find out some secret since NERV as a whole still seems pretty suspicious

Also the side plot with Misato and Kaji stuck in the elevator while everything was going on outside was actually kind of funny with her bossing him around
Jun 29, 2022 7:32 AM

Dec 2007
love how the relationship between asuka rei and shinji are building in this episode. it's the highlight here for me.

next episode gonna be about hisuka's past? that's gonna be interesting.
hope for more closure episode between shinji and his father. really wants them to behave like normal father and son.
Sep 21, 2022 10:17 PM
Aug 2022
this episode was actually kinda boring in the beginning. but it is 4 stars because that angel design was AMAZING. hands down this is my favorite one. it has spider legs, and i got chills when i saw its actual body and the eyes covering it, and the fact that the eyes can also produce some sort of acid too!! god, this thing is such an abomination i love it!
the fanservice here wasn't overdone and wasn't god awful here atleast. so there's that.
Oct 15, 2022 9:34 AM

Jul 2017
i love this trio of EVAs the teamwork was so cool :D
Nov 21, 2022 8:24 AM

Aug 2020
time for the actual plot to start now that we have the three sorted out

this shows really growing on me lol
Dec 12, 2022 11:38 AM
Apr 2022
very good very nic
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

176 by Pakutto »»
Today, 2:04 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

then - May 10, 2008

165 by Pakutto »»
Yesterday, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Feb 6, 2008

274 by kyota521306 »»
Sep 19, 9:21 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

206 by therealnagora »»
Sep 17, 2:33 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 2, 2008

218 by therealnagora »»
Sep 17, 8:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.