Forum Settings
Forums

The popularity of male characters makes no sense.

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 13, 2018 5:39 AM

Sep 2014
Being so obnoxious and defensive about ecchi I had the idea you were silly but you're goddamn retarded it seems
Mar 13, 2018 5:49 AM

Oct 2014
IpreferEcchi said:
KreemCheez said:

Judging by your username, I can only imagine why you would think that. =~=

Aint even gonna take this thread seriously, you're obviously biased towards female characters, and lack the ability as to see why some of the most popular characters in Anime are male.

I only like male characters that I see myself in. I've said that two or three other times. Therefore, it's a wasting a slot to put them in favorites.

Favorites to me show what your taste in others is, not who you are. Putting males in my favorites would only show who I am.

Just because you only like self inserts doesn't mean that others do.

In fact most have Male characters in the favs because they like the characters and their personalities.
Mar 13, 2018 5:53 AM

Jul 2016
@Bourmegar I know. I just wanted to ask why others put male characters in their favorites and state why I don't, but I wanted the title to be interesting.
Mar 13, 2018 5:56 AM

Oct 2014
IpreferEcchi said:
@Bourmegar I know. I just wanted to ask why others put male characters in their favorites, but I wanted the title to be interesting.

Oh well I gave you one reason why they do that.

I put characters in my fav list because I just love the characters.
And I have Males and Females in it.
Mar 13, 2018 6:17 AM

Aug 2014
It does make sense to me due their anime popularity and their good act.
Some of them are indeed trash and edgy.
But that's what we are.
A trash.
Mar 13, 2018 7:01 AM

Dec 2015
I raise to you this thread oh goddess of sass.

@Sonal1988

xx0:44 β”€πŸ”˜β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€ 04:44x
β—€ xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxx β–Ίxxxx
Mar 13, 2018 7:04 AM

May 2015
Because anime is male-oriented, the male characters are usually more well-written, thus more popular. Also they're usually the main character, and main characters are usually the more popular characters in shows

Mar 13, 2018 7:07 AM

Dec 2016
Lunafleurette said:

@Sonal1988

*cocks her sass guns*
But I don't need to sass idiots here. Not worth my time.

Well, OP has a valid Q, but I'm not sure if he was baiting people with it o not. Either way, the answer is simple: sexism. Women are seldom viewed as characters good enough to be written well. Their purpose is almost always to either serve a male, or antagonize him. There are very few women who are well rounded characters that exist independent of their male friends or family members. It also answers 2 other forum Qs - Why there are very few well written female villains, and why there is a gender imbalance in anime.
Mar 13, 2018 7:09 AM
Apr 2017
Worst topic of today.............
Mar 13, 2018 7:12 AM

Jul 2015
because woman are useless. 30 characters

Mar 13, 2018 7:13 AM

Aug 2012
Must be the most stupid thing I've read in a while. Not every male character is a self-insert. That is the protagonists job. And even then, they might not even be good characters and the fan-favorite.

If anything, having only female characters as favorites is more weird to me. You don't resonate with female characteristics, approach and personality. If you think the popularity of male characters makes no sense, I have no idea what to tell you.

>They're not even characters
What does this mean?
Mar 13, 2018 7:13 AM

Feb 2016
I thought it was the other Ecchi who was shitposting again
Mar 13, 2018 7:14 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Deknijff said:
Ecchi is this your first shitpost thread or was I unaware you made shitpost threads?
Just wondering

LMAO even as someone who:

only favorites girls

loses interest if he doesn't like the girls

loses interest if the girls don't get enough screen time

prefers mostly or all female cast

likes seeing girls do things or be in positions generally associated with males

prefers female lead

im like...

what the fuck are you asking?

.... is this bait?

a link between me and the anime?

what?
Mar 13, 2018 7:18 AM

Jul 2016
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

what?

Male anime characters are either self insert or something a male viewer aspires to be.
Mar 13, 2018 7:19 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
IpreferEcchi said:
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

what?

Male anime characters are avatars for male anime viewers.

does it look like thats the case for me? LMAO

Imaishi said:
Being so obnoxious and defensive about ecchi I had the idea you were silly but you're goddamn retarded it seems

see what you did @IpreferEcchi this thread is so silly that you got somebody to unintentionally bait ME...
Mar 13, 2018 7:20 AM

Jul 2016
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

That's my view. This is like my 7th time saying now that I only like male characters that I see myself in. That's a male character's only value to me.
Mar 13, 2018 7:24 AM

Jul 2017
I do like male characters if they are nice/responsible or Tsundere. I think they are cute.

Also would it be narcissism if a person like those so-called self-insert MC?

Mar 13, 2018 7:33 AM

Dec 2016
EcchiKnightDarek said:
What? I mean the OP basically here says that the only value male characters have is as self insterts or inspiration. What does that have to do with sexism and female characters being badly written? If anything he would mean it as that it's female characters that are the only ones interesting...

That's not the impression I got from his Q, but if that is what he meant, then simply ignore my comment. It's irrelevant to the thread then.
Mar 13, 2018 7:35 AM

Jul 2016
@Sonal1988 That's exactly what I meant. Desu. What Darek said.
Mar 13, 2018 7:40 AM

Dec 2016
IpreferEcchi said:

Man, my mistake. I don't know how I could have just understood the opposite of what you stated. Ignore my statement then.
Mar 13, 2018 7:41 AM

Jul 2016
EcchiKnightDarek said:
IpreferEcchi said:
That you are only capable of thinking with your dick? Glad you admit it.

There's no point to seeing a male character as anything but self insert or an aspiration, because they're fiction. So their only logical purpose is to be either of those things.

Anime is supposed to immerse me, the male viewer. Not make me watch from the sidelines.
Mar 13, 2018 7:43 AM
Jul 2015
I have a male best friend in my school years, so I prefer watching shows where MC's best male friend has lots of screentime in the story, like in Darling in the Franxx and Kenja no Mago.

Those two series has 2 cool non-MC male characters like Goro and August. August has his own girl, and it seems that Ichigo too will be paired with Goro in the end, so I like series where there are other male characters in MC's group of comrades.

I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Mar 13, 2018 7:47 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
IpreferEcchi said:
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

That's my view. This is like my 7th time saying now that I only like male characters that I see myself in. That's a male character's only value to me.

well i don't give a shit how shitty or how awesome a guy in an anime is, or whether or not hes relatable... whether or not i watch is still gonna be dependent upon the girls

EcchiKnightDarek said:
IpreferEcchi said:
That you are only capable of thinking with your dick? Glad you admit it.

every guy thinks with his dick bruh.. even when we don't realize we do

Mar 13, 2018 7:50 AM

Jul 2016
EcchiKnightDarek said:
IpreferEcchi said:

There's no point to seeing a male character as anything but self insert or an aspiration, because they're fiction. So their only logical purpose is to be either of those things.
There is no reason to YOU. Does not mean there is no reason for other people. You can like male character, or well, characters in general for a variety of reasons other than aspiration or self insert. Inspiration, fascination, liking them because they remind you of someone you know, because they are simply likeable characters. There can be a lot more reasons than that, some very specific and personal. Not everyone watches anime to self insert as the MC and then look at tits of female characters, once you understand that fact, a lot of things will start making sense.

I don't watch female characters for their tits. I watch for the right combination of personality and looks. I like the ones that represent what I want in a girlfriend.
Mar 13, 2018 7:54 AM

Oct 2015
IpreferEcchi said:

I don't watch female characters for their tits. I watch for the right combination of personality and looks. I like the ones that represent what I want in a girlfriend.
And I like a male character that I can admire, be in awe, have an emotional bond and someone I could care for. Is that a self-insert? It can be, but doesn't mean it is. How the hell can I self-insert as Griffith or Hisoka...

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Mar 13, 2018 7:56 AM

Jul 2016
EcchiKnightDarek said:
So waifus, I meant that too when I said tits. Not everything is to be taking literally.

I mean what I'm saying literally. I don't think I've had an actual waifu before yesterday when I saw episodes 1 - 4 of Seiren. Hikari Tsuneki is exactly how I want my girlfriend in real life to be.

She's a realistic character.
Mar 13, 2018 7:57 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
EcchiKnightDarek said:
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

every guy thinks with his dick bruh.. even when we don't realize we do

Only no they don't, most people are able to control their sexual urgies, again just like with IPreferEcchi, just because YOU do so, does not mean others do, stop projecting onto others.

thinking with your dick has nothing to do with lack of sexual urge control

you don't control sexual urges, you control how you act on them.. some guys just try way harder to resist them or maybe just have lower sex drives

im just someone who doesn't resist

Mar 13, 2018 7:59 AM

Aug 2016
I'm not sure what I should be more amazed by, the logic of the post, or the fact that so many people made serious replies.
Mar 13, 2018 8:00 AM

Dec 2016
Is there srsly an argument happening between 3 ecchi dudes, or am I misreading things again?
Mar 13, 2018 8:01 AM

Dec 2013
So... the only thing in a character that matters to you is being waifu material?

The reason for their popularity is simple. Most people have lives outside their genitalia.
Mar 13, 2018 8:06 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@EcchiKnightDarek

if i didn't make sense, put it this way

you're making it sound as though some guys just "aren't horny" which sounds like bullshit to me

just cause you're good at resisting your sexual urges doens't mean you don't still think with your dick, that just means your better at denying it

then again, like i said, maybe some guys do just have lower sex drives, idk, this is coming from a complete horn dog from 5 years old lol
Mar 13, 2018 8:18 AM

Jul 2016
The top characters are usually the mcs of the most popular shows, so they tend to be male since shoujo and josei don't get enough love on mal. :feelsbadman:

Also since waifu wars are a thing people who favorite females are often split between different girls from the same series while the favorites are more focused for males.

As for them being a good character.....I mean I roll my eyes at some of the top male characters but some of them are fine like Guts and Onizuka. I am more likely to favorite female characters because I find them more relateable, so male anime viewers probably have an easy time relating to male characters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2018 8:19 AM

Dec 2016
EcchiGodMamsterP said:
@EcchiKnightDarek

just cause you're good at resisting your sexual urges doens't mean you don't still think with your dick, that just means your better at denying it

OMG if I'd said that, I would have been crucified ten times over πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Mar 13, 2018 8:21 AM

Apr 2017
IpreferEcchi said:
Setsuei said:
I find the male characters in my favorites pretty interesting. And not necessarily because I want to be those characters, since some if not all have had pretty shitty lives.

The only male characters I like are ones that I see myself in, so maybe that's why I feel this way.

Not every male watches anime for self-insertion.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2018 8:27 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Sonal1988 said:
EcchiGodMamsterP said:
@EcchiKnightDarek

OMG if I'd said that, I would have been crucified ten times over πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

i've been attack 100x for saying this kind of stuff

but this idea some guys seem to have that they control when theyre horny is complete bullshit.. physiology is not our control, and theres even evidence to suggest that the way we react to it isn't either

some guys either just resist or deny it

unless you believe you're possibly dangerous or maybe you want to fuck real kids or something like that, then i see no reason to "deny" sexual urges
Mar 13, 2018 8:31 AM

Dec 2016
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

but this idea some guys seem to have that they control when theyre horny is complete bullshit.. physiology is not our control, and theres even evidence to suggest that the way we react to it isn't either

Well, you know what I mean. A guy calling out another guy's BS is more acceptable than a woman doing the same, who's immediately attacked for being a man hater (which I have been, btw) for simply point out some guys' hypocrisy. Kinda like how it's safer/easier for women to call out other women for false rape accusations because of lesser backlash. If men do that (and they do) they're immediately labelled as misogynists.

Note: I'm not talking of anybody specific here, so nobody should take this personally.
Mar 13, 2018 8:32 AM

Jun 2016
Well i'm not a guy but i think your way of thinking about this is totally stupid.
If a character is interesting then why not put he/she on the favorites? Regardless of being male or female. I mean, if you don't see why guys have male char. on their favorites then it may be because you just see female characters you are attracted to/would date as the most interesting.
Unlike you, i do not think a lot of guys just like a male character just because they aspire to be like them, and yes because they are something they will never be and that makes them interesting and in some cases being a realistic and developed character helps to like them even more.
I have already seen a lot of people like you here on MAL, nothing new~ everyone has their own way of liking the characters but in my opinion, your way is a dumb one even though i respect it.
ayumiisMar 13, 2018 8:35 AM
Mar 13, 2018 8:53 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Sonal1988 said:
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

Well, you know what I mean. A guy calling out another guy's BS is more acceptable than a woman doing the same, who's immediately attacked for being a man hater (which I have been, btw) for simply point out some guys' hypocrisy. Kinda like how it's safer/easier for women to call out other women for false rape accusations because of lesser backlash. If men do that (and they do) they're immediately labelled as misogynists.

Note: I'm not talking of anybody specific here, so nobody should take this personally.

oh shit, i didn't realize you were a girl lol

yea.. equal rights will NEVER be a thing as long as mentalities like these keep up
Mar 13, 2018 8:57 AM

Dec 2016
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

yea.. equal rights will NEVER be a thing as long as mentalities like these keep up

I am actually a woman - 30 years old. Pretty old, by MAL's standards.
But coming back to the point, yes. Equality can never be achieved - not now, not in the future. I'm just surprised I haven't been labelled as a man-hating lesbian yet.
Mar 13, 2018 9:03 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Sonal1988 said:
Lunafleurette said:

@Sonal1988

*cocks her sass guns*
But I don't need to sass idiots here. Not worth my time.

Well, OP has a valid Q, but I'm not sure if he was baiting people with it o not. Either way, the answer is simple: sexism. Women are seldom viewed as characters good enough to be written well. Their purpose is almost always to either serve a male, or antagonize him. There are very few women who are well rounded characters that exist independent of their male friends or family members. It also answers 2 other forum Qs - Why there are very few well written female villains, and why there is a gender imbalance in anime.

Welp, I'm picky when it comes to female characters in anime.
Mar 13, 2018 9:04 AM

Dec 2017
You know all of you are just making it worse that you're replying to the guy.
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to γƒ†γ‚Ήγƒˆ by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Mar 13, 2018 9:06 AM

Dec 2016
DepravedMagi said:

Welp, I'm picky when it comes to female characters in anime.

Same. And it's bc of just how poorly written/weak the average female characters are in anime.
Mar 13, 2018 9:06 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Sonal1988 said:
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

I am actually a woman - 30 years old. Pretty old, by MAL's standards.
But coming back to the point, yes. Equality can never be achieved - not now, not in the future. I'm just surprised I haven't been labelled as a man-hating lesbian yet.

haha, im not far from 30 and yea looking at the younger generation and how this SJW/PC shit seems to be taking off, idk if its ever possible

Mar 13, 2018 9:07 AM

Dec 2017
tragedydesu said:
not all male characters are beta cuck without personality

you watch so much ecchi/harem ^^'
This is coming from a guy that can't even finish Nisekoi. Lol
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
Mar 13, 2018 9:09 AM

Jul 2015
Botan-Chan45 said:
tragedydesu said:
not all male characters are beta cuck without personality

you watch so much ecchi/harem ^^'

There is no point of reading it until the end

Gorilla won and that's enough for a 1/10
Mar 13, 2018 9:11 AM

Dec 2017
Also if you're just going to type dumb shit like you have bad taste or you like ecchi Harem.
1. The guy said most popular characters like Edward and The depressed fuck Joe
2. You're no better than this shitpost
3. You most likely don't have an argument
Mar 13, 2018 9:13 AM

Dec 2017
tragedydesu said:
Botan-Chan45 said:

Are you so mad that Chitoge won rather than Onidera still? It's been a year, finish it.
Mar 13, 2018 9:17 AM

May 2017
I think a good anime needs a great male protagonist like Jotaro Kujo, Spike Spiegel, Guts, but when the anime has a cowardly protagonist, a woman takes its place, such as Evangelion I think everyone hates Shinji but we love Rei and Asuka.
Usually happens with the Slice of Life.
skull90Mar 13, 2018 9:21 AM
    CARP 9/12/18 Eterno
Mar 13, 2018 9:25 AM

Jul 2015
Botan-Chan45 said:
tragedydesu said:

Are you so mad that Chitoge won rather than Onidera still? It's been a year, finish it.

not mad , i just cant accept when the mc chose an abusive bitch over a nice girl
it felt like Ntr
Mar 13, 2018 9:27 AM

May 2015
That's funny, cause I recently saw a discussion about the majority of interesting characters being male, and how female characters exist mostly to fill the role of 'woman behind a man'.
I think it goes down to perspective of a watcher more than anything, particularly their gender. By that I don't mean that males are more interested in females and vice versa (duh), but the fact that watchers look for different things in characters of same gender. Something that men find interesting in females can be flat out boring for women, etc.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why do yaoi shippers get upset when their ships don't happen in shonen?

Cestlavie_ - 5 hours ago

13 by Dumb »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » What are male yuri fans called?

emryuu - 47 minutes ago

2 by Serafos »»
6 minutes ago

» Why do people "self-insert" with weak characters

Anjuro - 10 minutes ago

0 by Anjuro »»
10 minutes ago

» Is the database algorithm fair?

Lucifrost - 4 hours ago

7 by Nirinbo »»
15 minutes ago

» Exploring Taste Shaming

-Indra - Yesterday

31 by Spunkert »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.