Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 9, 2017 3:24 PM

Jun 2011
Maneki-Mew said:
@Ahegyao
"My father is a lawyer"-starter set? XD

Yeah, these types. Not necessarily popular, but upper-class and look like they came straight out of an Ivy League. Never seen them in an anime con (intentionally) nor declare their like for it.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Jul 9, 2017 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
Ahegyao said:
Maneki-Mew said:
@Ahegyao

Yeah, these types. Not necessarily popular, but upper-class and look like they came straight out of an Ivy League. Never seen them in an anime con (intentionally) nor declare their like for it.

Well... that's kinda not true. They are those people, who can buy Worbla for 300 € for every single cosplay. XD
Srsly, when they change back into their normal clothes, they look like this. I also look like this sometimes. Good / serious stylr (when you need the business style) is not that expensive. You can buy good-enough clothes at H&M too.. and at least, you can't buy taste. XD
Jul 9, 2017 3:41 PM

Mar 2014
I new a few marines in recon and infantry who watch anime, pretty unstereotypical.
Jul 9, 2017 4:20 PM

Mar 2017
None of my friends or me look like we would be into anime at first glance. Stereotyping much?
Jul 9, 2017 8:53 PM

Mar 2017
Maneki-Mew said:
m3nd3r_ said:
Here's the funny thing~

I can guarantee the most popular kids at our school (Cheerleaders, Volleyball Players, and Football players) do not watch anime. The anime group at my school is made up of mostly females with the exception of me and a few others. The people I know are dweebish/hella nerdy (myself included). Nobody ever guesses that I enjoy watching anime though. It must be because I come across as being very serious in real life which people don't normally associate with fans of the genre (no offense anyone).

Btw, forgot to mention I live in a small rural town where everyone 'knows' everyone.

Why and how can you guarantee?
I think the real difference is that you are living in a small town.

When I read about "most popular people from school" and voting and joining things like anime clubs etc... I really thought it was nothing more than a Hollywood highschool-cliche. XD

Anyway, there were good and hard times in school, because I got on a stuck9-up high school / in a class with stuck-uped girls (and ONLY girls) at first and I had to warm up them, because they were acting that way at first and vice versa. Now we get along pretty well and like each other. ^^"
But I couldn't say that I weren't almost in my whole school time generally liked by people.

Half of the people were joking about me watching anime, because they didn't like it and we also get along with each other / liked each other. Joking about your hobbies is not something hurtful, if it's not bullying. We were more of a prank-each-other-and-all-the-teachers--all-the-time-class. So it was pretty normal to roast everyone? XD

And uhm I'm always well-dressed, put make up on and perfume and I'm pretty sure that I'm not that ugly lol.

@Ahegyao

If I showed you pictures of the popular kids from school you would know exactly what I mean.

There are only a short list of things that are important to them:

--Sports
--Friends
--Instagram/Snapchat
--Their personal appearances

Anime doesn't fit in anywhere. I might be generalizing but 90% chance I'm right.
rayneey_Jul 9, 2017 8:57 PM
Jul 9, 2017 9:06 PM
Feb 2014
Wanting Chad and Stacy to like anime is how anime gets ruined.
Jul 9, 2017 9:11 PM

Jul 2016
ayyyy sliiiime
every anime fan I know in person is a slimey loser who lives w their mom and is about as social as a wall
Jul 9, 2017 9:19 PM

Jun 2016
I'm a hot anime fan. + chris brown is a fan of anime. he has astro boy tattooed on his leg.
Jul 9, 2017 9:30 PM

May 2014
A lot of people tend to be genuinely shocked when I roll my sleeves up and I have manga styled tattoos all over...or when they see the huge ass figure collection I'm donning in my room.

I've always found it mind-boggling and kind of annoying when someone says "I didn't peg you for being into that sorta stuff" or "you don't look like the type...it's so weird", as if the only people into anime are lonely nerds who have social issues and live in their mother's basements.
Only within the past few years have my friends and family began to see my whole anime obsession as the norm. Now, a lot of 'em even ask what I've been watching and get curious just because I've been so into it for so long!

But the assumptions rattle me a bit tbh- yes, I work, study, go to social events and have joined societies...
and I also love anime a whole damn lot too and notoriously cancel plans with people if I need to catch up with a series

EDIT: And shock horror! I am a Law student just a bit of a crappy one

Strawberrycake48Jul 9, 2017 9:39 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2017 10:06 PM

Oct 2016
I can; cause I am a part of the "preppy" crowd that you mentioned.
Jul 10, 2017 7:42 AM
Jul 2018
m3nd3r_ said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Why and how can you guarantee?
I think the real difference is that you are living in a small town.

When I read about "most popular people from school" and voting and joining things like anime clubs etc... I really thought it was nothing more than a Hollywood highschool-cliche. XD

Anyway, there were good and hard times in school, because I got on a stuck9-up high school / in a class with stuck-uped girls (and ONLY girls) at first and I had to warm up them, because they were acting that way at first and vice versa. Now we get along pretty well and like each other. ^^"
But I couldn't say that I weren't almost in my whole school time generally liked by people.

Half of the people were joking about me watching anime, because they didn't like it and we also get along with each other / liked each other. Joking about your hobbies is not something hurtful, if it's not bullying. We were more of a prank-each-other-and-all-the-teachers--all-the-time-class. So it was pretty normal to roast everyone? XD

And uhm I'm always well-dressed, put make up on and perfume and I'm pretty sure that I'm not that ugly lol.

@Ahegyao

If I showed you pictures of the popular kids from school you would know exactly what I mean.

--Sports
--Friends
--Instagram/Snapchat

Anime doesn't fit in anywhere. I might be generalizing but 90% chance I'm right.

But that's nothing than stereotyping much. Btw friends and personal appearance (at least a bit no, much) should important to everyone.
Sport is good for everyone as well and what's the point in mentioning a specific social medium? So many people use one of them.

You shouldn't judge so quick (espcially that you want to know what's important to someone), if you don't know these people on a personally closer level. There aren't so many people with such a short importance-list in their mind. At least their families and education are very important to most people I know. It comes natural at an university to care about education. Many look "preppy" and some I know like anime, others don't.
Jul 10, 2017 7:44 AM

Mar 2017
Maneki-Mew said:
m3nd3r_ said:

--Sports
--Friends
--Instagram/Snapchat

But that's nothing than stereotyping much. Btw friends and personal appearance (at least a bit no, much) should important to everyone.
Sport is good for everyone as well and what's the point in mentioning a specific social medium? So many people use one of them.

You shouldn't judge so quick (espcially that you want to know what's important to someone), if you don't know these people on a personally closer level. There aren't so many people with such a short importance-list in their mind. At least their families and education are very important to most people I know. It comes natural at an university to care about education. Many look "preppy" and some I know like anime, others don't.

All I can say is that school has treated you much better than me...
Jul 10, 2017 8:55 AM
Jul 2018
m3nd3r_ said:
Maneki-Mew said:

All I can say is that school has treated you much better than me...

Maybe, I don't know about your school life and I'm sorry, if your memories are mostly negative, but still, there is no reason to compare adults and adult life with it.
Even some people, who were mean at school, grow up and you can't compare adult people, who seem to hit a certain stereotype with high school. Btw after school I worked two or three months at a lawyer's bureau for a friend's father as a temporary help and I worked at an elemantary school as volunteer. You have to look like this at those places.
Aug 1, 2017 9:10 PM

Jun 2016
I'm in a sorority, so I guess you could call me preppy. I watch Naruto with some of my sisters who also like anime. Although we are not OBSESSED, we watch it in our free time because we are so busy with school work and sorority work
Aug 1, 2017 11:14 PM

Apr 2015
Anyone care to explain preppy to an asian fucker?
Aug 3, 2017 2:51 AM

Jun 2015
Doesn't apply to me. I dress more fashionably that I'm actually a little sad that my peers dress all the same. But yeah, I knew some people who dress like the stereotypical weaboo and some who don't.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2017 12:46 AM
Feb 2014
Lanz said:
Anyone care to explain preppy to an asian fucker?

Pretty much the Chads and Staceys who aren't Chad or Stacey enough for the Chads and Staceys, if you know what I mean.
Aug 4, 2017 12:54 AM

Oct 2015
you haven't met me yet
i am all those categories
that you stated

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
Aug 4, 2017 12:59 AM

Nov 2016
If you saw me you wouldn't guess I was an anime fan (when I haven't got my Crunchyroll wristband on and my "I <3 Anime" badge on my bag)
Aug 4, 2017 1:05 AM

Feb 2010
actually i blend perfectly until i start to speak, people who dont know me tend to think that im simple, good girl
Aug 4, 2017 1:34 PM

Dec 2011
I'm really preppy actually and I can blend in just fine. My friend even brought up to me once how much of a normie I look like LMAO
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

623 by -YaoiBoy- »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » A anime that mention your country? ( 1 2 )

torsan88 - Sep 17

97 by TenshiNoYume »»
33 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - 10 hours ago

22 by Ba-Cii10 »»
44 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9399 by anime-prime »»
52 minutes ago

» Do you think male ecchi for men could work as a concept?

Anjuro - Yesterday

32 by Nurguburu »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.