Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 6, 2017 11:56 PM

Jun 2010
A first episode mainly focused on presenting the main characters without any plot twists nor any commercial clichés thrown at people's faces?! Looks like patience is really *VOOSH* gone nowadays.

Also: unrealistic? Two kids being socially awkward is unrealistic? Someone forgot to tell me I was in the matrix and the 2D universe is the real one.

In anyway, this is pretty much early 20th century romantic literature to the tee. But that doesn't mean it's good, only that the pace probably won't get too high, ever.

Finally, why the fuck is a kid his age reading Osamu Dazai?! I really, REALLY hope that Dazai's influence on this series will continue to be references and quotes only, since I'm not fucking ready for suicidal stuff...
KaisermonApr 7, 2017 12:01 AM
Apr 7, 2017 12:05 AM

Oct 2010
The idea of somewhat realistic and slow romance is not bad, but execution is kinda meh.

Backgrounds are good but 3D CGI of characters is sloppy, robotic and limited. Creator also try to "hide" 3D with very strange overexposure effect on models that blends into white.

Actors try to not act anime-like but it becomes cheap dorama acting instead with every glance dubbed with "eh", "oh", "ah" while in real life there would be just silence.

At the end of episode I felt like I am watching LINE commercial rather then real show. Especially considering brand name was not scrambled like it used to be in anime.
Apr 7, 2017 1:00 AM

May 2010
Wow those cgi scenes and the way they are animated..just wow.
episode was very slow paced and i think this will be the same of the reast of the show and sofar im really not feeling it. pass
Apr 7, 2017 1:11 AM

Nov 2012
i enjoyed the atmosphere and the more "realistic" school romance they're portraying here, i've been waiting for an anime series like this.
what i didn't like is the horrible looking CGI and how the episode felt like a LINE commercial at times with how often they mentioned it.
i feel like this could be a good series though, we'll see.
Apr 7, 2017 1:45 AM

Dec 2014
The story is decent but somehow i think i love this kind of clumsy romance story though, i found it similar a bit to hourou musuko. Nice BGM and scenery t btw.
totsugeruruApr 7, 2017 1:51 AM
Watch aria the animation and it's sequel.
Apr 7, 2017 2:14 AM

Jul 2011
Wow, that was way beyond my expectations. Felt very real (in the awkward way) haha, I can imagine this happening in a Japanese middle school. The way the dialogue is done, how there are differences among the characters (friendly popular kids, school hierarchy, quiet/shy kids), the interactions between people (ways of communications like LINE, the track boy staring at the MC girl a bit longer than needed, parents greeting parents). :'D

But our main boy and girl this episode are only shy in their new settings; they're comfortable with their friends, which is pretty well shown in the episode. They're also involved in school things, like sports and clubs, and this was shown quite a bit. To me, that feels more realistic. Unlike Orange where the shy girl was still shy with her friends. Doesn't feel like Isshuukan Friends either, which tried to be overly innocent and then added a dramatic twist. Tsuki ga Kirei might be a sleeper hit for me this season.

Guess it's not to everyone's taste though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MirorinApr 7, 2017 2:17 AM
Apr 7, 2017 2:16 AM

Aug 2013
soooooo cute!
I wanna back to my highschool days agen :'
but, there's no LINE back then
Apr 7, 2017 2:34 AM

May 2016
Very sweet show. Kinda reminds me back during School days haha.
If things goes well after few episodes, Im gonna shortlist this show for a review. Still early but im throwing my coin in for now as one of the 'Dark Horse' of the season.

Hope this show is a happy one, after watching the great but tragic Kuzu no Honkai last season.
Apr 7, 2017 2:52 AM

Jul 2016
ashiya121 said:

Starnge...all the shows that you mentioned are from the same studio (P.A. Works). Maybe because you love that studio and not because of strong female lead...

1) There are a lot of independent-minded female leads in shows not by P.A. Works, too. Saki Watanabe from Shinsekai Yori (A-1 Pictures), the two Nana from the eponymous anime (Madhouse), Atsuko Kagari from Little Witch Academia (Trigger)... happy now?
2) There are quite a few anime from P.A. Works I don't rly like, such as Charlotte or Nagi no Asukara - and I've not tried Glasslip but I guess I wouldn't like it either. Do you think that just because one likes 3 anime from the same studio then one likes all the anime from that studio? That just because I like, say, Toradora, Golden Time, and Alice to Zouroku (JC Staff), I'd also like Urara Meirochou because it's from the same studio? That sounds idiotic to me

Anyways how you say the male character is useless wimp? There was no event shows that at least yet.
If he for example introduced himself and it went completly wrong in front of his classmates I would say yes but there was nothing like that...

He spent the whole first episode embarassing himself, barely managing to speak out of timidness, and we learnt next to nothing about him which could otherwise improve his image. Compare it to, say, Sakura Quest ep. 1, where Yoshino establishes herself as a character from the getgo, and you'll see why I'm so disappointed. Heck, Toradora is a romance too, and from the very first episode we see that Ryuji Takasu may be timid with his love interest Minori, but he also does not act timidly at all with the rest of the cast, and in fact we learn that he helps at home and is relatively good at school subjects - all this right from the first episode.

And let me tell you, if you think that these two characters will somehow turn a new leaf and become strong-willed, independent, bold, or anything like that, you prolly haven't see enough romances yet - just don't be disappointed when it doesn't go that way.

EDIT:

Ahegyao said:
Did they just animate my Middle School life? Because a lot of this, from the awkwardness of meeting your crush, looking at pervy mags, to nosy parents, hit so close to home. Unrealistic? You guys just had different lives.

They're not unrealistic at all (which is still more than you can say about other anime, I'll give you that). But as people mentioned, the problem is not that it's unrealistic. The problem is that it's boring.

Even if I'm pretty sure there're a lot of kids like those two, this does not necessarily mean they make for an interesting story. Don't take it as mean - I was very introvert in middle/high school too, so I know what it feels like. But when you have such characters, you need at least some kind of "foil" to keep things interesting. Otherwise you get a show like Orange... or like this one. If you didn't find it boring, well... good for you. Personally, I was yawning all the way through, and it appears I'm not the only one.
ZaratorApr 7, 2017 2:56 AM
Apr 7, 2017 3:03 AM

Apr 2015
Kittens-kun said:
zyke said:
Another disgusting looking cgi mess for this cour. More time saved.

It doesn't warrant a 3 just because of that.

Cgi on background characters was absolutely disgusting, cgi on main cast was bad also. The lightning was a new color of its own and didnt get affected by character movement at all. Its almost like all the characters had white stripes on their hair and paint on their faces.

Then theres ofc the fact that i hate cgi in anime almost as much as mechas.
Apr 7, 2017 3:08 AM
Feb 2012
Just because it's realistic doesn't automatically mean it's good. It had cute moments but hopefully it doesn't get too dramatic.
ahneemeApr 7, 2017 3:17 AM
Apr 7, 2017 3:39 AM
Jun 2016
@Zarator
he was only acting timid when he was with her.He was talking normally to his friends and shopkeeper and the episode was more centered around the female mc so we did not see him interact
Apr 7, 2017 4:57 AM

Oct 2016
An ecchi-less, pure romance series in 2017? What kind of miracle is this?
Looks promising so far. I have high hopes for this
Apr 7, 2017 5:01 AM

Jul 2016
zakster1928 said:
@Zarator
he was only acting timid when he was with her.He was talking normally to his friends and shopkeeper and the episode was more centered around the female mc so we did not see him interact

That's why I said that it's a very bad pairing - if you pick a boy and a girl who are so timid and insecure about talking to each other, what you end up getting is something like this show's first episode: a dragged on sequence of embarassed moments which felt boring to watch and leading nowhere. This is why, in such situations, "foil" characters are so important, and having at least one of the two MCs acting in a more strong-willed way would've made the show much more interesting to watch.

I'm not saying that you can't have a romance between two overall timid characters. In Toradora, both Ryuji and Taiga are actually very timid and embarassed around their love interests, but what makes the show enjoyable to watch is that we also see other scenes, where the characters can act in a more relaxed and fun-to-watch way. In Tsuki Ga Kirei ep. 1, on the other end, most of the air-time was spent on painfully annoying scenes of a boy and a girl getting embarassed over each other. What the hell?
Apr 7, 2017 5:20 AM

Jan 2017
At first I felt a bit impatient, it was moving so slowly! But I decided to give it a chance and got used to the pace. I think it has potential to become a good story.
Apr 7, 2017 5:38 AM

Aug 2015
I just put this in my watching list without knowing anything(news and such), That was a somehow slow but nice start. This might be the relaxing romance anime of the season, well I need to see Fukumenkei Noise first.
Apr 7, 2017 6:39 AM

Jun 2007
Quite an enjoyable episode. I hope the whole series stays just as good.
I quite like the animation as well as the background music.
I look forward to seeing what happens next.
Apr 7, 2017 6:46 AM

Nov 2011
This could be a really good romance anime if they don't fuck it up.
While the animation is not the greatest, I love how the show is so modernized.
It just seems more real when these kids are using a messenger to connect with each other.
Plus the interactions between the sisters was very accurate.

I am looking forward to the rest of this series.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 7, 2017 7:54 AM

Jan 2010
Shit's beautiful and the main characters are cute as hell, what's not to like? I don't mind a bit of a slide show, as long as the backgrounds are pretty.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Apr 7, 2017 8:01 AM

Jul 2013
Slow romance? this is more realistic than any romance anime that came out in the last few seasons..

I still remember how I couldn't even get my voice out when facing my crush on my 3rd year of middle school so I can relate how both protagonists took so long to connect. It doesn't mean we're shy because in general we connect with other people well.. talking to your crush during the height of puberty might just be too much for some people
Apr 7, 2017 8:08 AM

Aug 2016
There's not a lot of thinking and a lot of breathing

Not gonna enjoy this :p

Set by SenpieX
Apr 7, 2017 8:39 AM

Aug 2013
This was cute and enjoyable to watch. Looking forward to it.

Apr 7, 2017 8:43 AM

Aug 2016
I think it'll be just the typical romance school

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 7, 2017 8:46 AM

Apr 2016
@Kaiser-

Seeing how psychologically "weak" the two protagonists are presented, it looks like a possibility. But one episode is not enough to estimate if that's the direction it will take. "Drama" is not in the tags yet though.
Apr 7, 2017 9:10 AM

Sep 2015
Romance anime = life
Apr 7, 2017 9:46 AM

Jun 2013
CGI middle schoolers ga Kirei...
Apr 7, 2017 10:00 AM

May 2014
The art reminds me of Battery and Udon Poco
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Apr 7, 2017 10:04 AM

Oct 2011
Zarator said:
He spent the whole first episode embarassing himself, barely managing to speak out of timidness, and we learnt next to nothing about him which could otherwise improve his image. Compare it to, say, Sakura Quest ep. 1, where Yoshino establishes herself as a character from the getgo, and you'll see why I'm so disappointed. Heck, Toradora is a romance too, and from the very first episode we see that Ryuji Takasu may be timid with his love interest Minori, but he also does not act timidly at all with the rest of the cast, and in fact we learn that he helps at home and is relatively good at school subjects - all this right from the first episode.

We have learned that he's a writer, he even submitted a manuscript. He's also in charge of the school library.

We also learned that she's athletic and that she probably already have won some competitions (even if it's less clearly told).

Apr 7, 2017 10:40 AM

Jul 2011
Seems like I got my second genuine out loud laugh of the season behind Haine (and I think my brain spent too much time getting around Rokudenashi MC to actually laugh). The restaurant scene was so funny but man... couldn't help but feel sorry for them.

I can totally relate to the feeling of finding it horrifically difficult to reach out to people and then kicking myself a lot when the moment has passed... I like the kind of... real interactions they've got in this anime that aren't simplified/exaggerated as they usually are. In a way... reminds me of how they do it with animated movies.

Speaking of the art though, I love the hand drawn style, the unevenness of the lines really give the character this understated kind of vibrancy/life... but when the CG kicks in for the people mobs, I just can't help but feel mildly terrified... ^^'
Apr 7, 2017 10:52 AM

Dec 2014
Is this just another slice of romance without special theme?
Special theme as in the one in Relife
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Apr 7, 2017 10:53 AM

Nov 2016
Aaw, this anime is so cute! And the art is nice, I like it. (The coloring reminds me of how I used to color when I was a kid because I didn't know how light worked xD).

This is only my opnion but CGI is not bad just because it's CGI.
Apr 7, 2017 11:34 AM
Jul 2016
That ending part was absolute gold
Apr 7, 2017 11:37 AM

Jul 2016
Tryss said:

We have learned that he's a writer, he even submitted a manuscript. He's also in charge of the school library.

We also learned that she's athletic and that she probably already have won some competitions (even if it's less clearly told).

That's at least better than what a few other anime do for their chars (like Demi-chan or Seiren)... but how exactly does this contribute to make the watching experience "fun" or "enjoyable"? Even if we were told that the MC is a genius or something (he prolly is), it does not help if he is boring as hell to watch.

Again, compare this to other SoL (romance or otherwise), where characters are put from the getgo into situations which are actually worth watching. Note - this does in no way imply that said situations must be over-the-top or unrealistic. Masamune-kun no Revenge does exactly that and it's extremely cringeworthy for this reason. On the contrary, we have shows like, I dunno, Golden Time or White Album 2 or Nana where, while nothing of what we see is completely out of anybody's human experience, it still is something which piques the watcher's interest and invites them to stay for more:

1) Golden Time has a pretty, uh, "unexpected" opening, complete with bouquet slapping and all - it is maybe a bit flamboyant, but at least it makes one curious to see what happened and/or what will happen.
2) White Album 2 begins with a flash forward which carries many hints that definitely invite the watcher to stay and learn about it
3) Nana also begins with a flash forward of sorts (or follows with a flash back, depending on your point of view), which immediately establishes the two MCs as relatable and interesting chars, whose relationship becomes a driving force of the show from the getgo

Even if a show has a slower build up (heck, I would not say Nana is "fast-paced" at all, except for ep. 1), this is still no excuse to make it THIS boring. This is not a matter of "not having patience" - this is more of a matter of "I've seen many other SoL and romances before, and my gut tells me this won't get any less boring".

Again, the show might prove me wrong (and the fact I've not dropped it means I've not given up either)... but I wouldn't be surprised if the show stayed like this for its whole season. A boring romance between two extremely socially impaired chars which drags on between poor communication skills and "won't spit it out" moments.

EDIT: And before you (or anybody else) ask, no, I've not found the many scenes of embarassment - at the restaurant or in the storage room - neither cute nor funny. Just one quick look at the past anime seasons will tell you that SoL shows are saturated with chars who behave like this. I frankly find it more repetitive/boring than funny or cute at this point.
Apr 7, 2017 11:44 AM

Jun 2013
the art style is interesting
Apr 7, 2017 12:48 PM

Jun 2008
Its been a while since we have this kind of romance anime, I like it :3
I hope it gets better...

| LastFM |
Apr 7, 2017 2:08 PM

May 2016
Not bad but the main characters are too slow. Waiting for them to start talking was exhausting. Still will watch the next episode to see what it will show.
Apr 7, 2017 2:41 PM

Mar 2016
The backgrounds are similar to grimgar. I like it. While the cgi scenes are jarring, they're at least far in between and short lived.
That awkward feeling when you meet someone you know at a restaurant. I can relate to that, but they kinda made it a bit extra awkward lol but it gets a pass.
Apr 7, 2017 3:36 PM
Mar 2016
Slowly fall in love with each other? Nah, I want to know why do they interest with each other, they don't interact much beyond steal glances at each other
Apr 7, 2017 4:23 PM

Jun 2012
This was really beautiful. I was expecting it to be plain and boring and was surprised about how captivating this episode was.
Apr 7, 2017 4:40 PM

Feb 2017
I loved the slow pace, the animation, and how awkwardly real this is. What really got me was the fact that this anime blended the youthfulness of the first love and teenage romance, so to speak, with Dazai's thoughts, which have such a mature view of life (and we all know how Dazai ended).

Both MC are painfully awkward, but they are also a somewhat real (to some degree) depiction of how some teenagers used to be, with no exaggerated reactions and stupid situations. I mean, yeah, there are a lot of common places with our main couple, being the most notorious that she's an extremely shy girls towards a boy she barely knows and needs that squishy toy to help her when extremely nervous; and he's a bookish guy that cannot talk to the girl and lives most of his life through literature. It's something that's been done over and over again, but I'm going to ignore that fact just because they're using Dazai.

On the other hand, I think that this anime is a good contrast for Kuzu no Honkai (Scum's Wish) from last season --which was also a /real/, though painful, depiction of teenage and young adult's relationship. It is like watching both sides of the spectrum.
Apr 7, 2017 6:51 PM

Jul 2015
SO MANY CHERRY BLOSSOM PETALS IN THIS. Art style reminds of me Married to the Unidentified (Believe its called that), and it has a nice feeling of peacefulness to it, the overall atmosphere of the anime leaves me feeling calm, which is good considering how many fast paced and action packed anime I'm watching this season, its a good balance. This is nice with a cup of coffee. I think I'll enjoy this.

I've seen a few relationship anime, and from my experience, I can't help but feel this is so far the slowest start to a relationship ever. They spent nearly the entire episode just starring at each other. Though they hit it off pretty well when they finally did speak. I've seen overly shy people (as in, its amazing these people are even able to function slightly in society levels of shy) manage to start bonding much faster than these two, but I managed to sit through and enjoy Flying Witch, so a slow anime doesn't bother me.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 7, 2017 8:52 PM
May 2016
This would have been a somewhat mediocre anime if it wasn't for the barrage of allusions that, in my opinion, were handled quite well. It gave it a unique nostalgic vibe that brings you back to the days of super tense and awkward social interactions in middle school. And the trends that are referenced are so mundane that they are practically taken for granted; things like LINE and the growing mental health phenomenon that are fidgets toys. That being said, these are memes that pretty much only a younger, school-aged audience can understand, and I really can't see anyone past college relating to this on a level that would make it worth their time.
birdiverseApr 7, 2017 8:59 PM
Apr 7, 2017 9:28 PM

Jun 2010
@Ysad_Ziwezhan

Well, puberty and being psychologically weak is a pretty given thing...

I don't really think this anime will go towards suicide, but there's no way to fully discard it.

Dazai's is one of those cases where their "end" became the "whole", so although suicide was a very ongoing topic in his stuff, that wasn't what made him a genius. Hopefully the MC is just very fond of his writing style, not the content, which would fit this anime, with it being realistic and moving in very careful little steps.

We need a few more episodes to see if the realism will become pessimism.

Finally, the tags are kinda misleading since it's an original anime with very little advertising, so romance was probably the only tag they could be sure of.

@birdiverse

I can relate to not really understanding all the memes, but if this series continues to relate to Osamu Dazai your mind might explode. He is way up there with some russians in the "very hardcore" category of literature.
Apr 7, 2017 9:59 PM

Nov 2016
Very cute show.

Both of them are so cute together! <3 I just don't like how relatable they are to me in this first episode.

I might gonna like this, because I'm a sucker for school + romantic animes. xD
Apr 8, 2017 12:43 AM

May 2016
The beginning of this anime was pretty good and the op and en was great and the art style is great and colorful and smooth
I just can't wait for the next episode :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2017 4:11 AM
Mar 2015
Boi that was cute and sweet, definitely underrated!
Apr 8, 2017 6:04 AM

Sep 2011
This first episode was very slow placed and a product placement for the app LINE.

I have only completed 2 series from feel. Studio but I can’t really tell if I like what they are doing in the animation wise. The style should I say. I guess it’s a bit of an experiment, it seems that each character has some sort of light reflecting off their side of the face. But not only that sometimes they use CGI with the background characters and this looks off place when combined with non-CGI modules. I personally don’t like the use of CGI when it’s not need or used correctly.

Full impression: https://bdt87.wordpress.com/2017/04/08/tsukigakirei-episode-1-impression/
Apr 8, 2017 7:43 AM

Nov 2011
It seems that the Studio Feel, seems to have guessed the beginning of this anime series. Starting with an overview of the places where the story takes place, it was a choice that pays off, the atmosphere we breathed was fascinating during the episode, then the graphics quality was really good and the character design used to the characters , it contributed to the cause. Finally, I would add the soundtrack, among the elements that contributed to the success of this episode; It was very catchy. Opening and ending, I liked very much. The story did not seem forced and was very likely, I have great expectations for this anime series.
Apr 8, 2017 7:53 AM
Jul 2016
Really enjoyed this, particularly the Dialogue and character interactions - Felt more natural than most other animes. Looking forward to its development!
Apr 8, 2017 8:41 AM

Feb 2016
Oh fudge, this atmosphere. My weakness. Gah.

Two shy MCs? That was really cute. What a breather.
All people have their own sh*t tastes, therefore, there are no sh*t tastes, since everything is equally sh*t.

A VERY LOGICAL
PHILOSOPHY
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What would you prefer for the ending?

brenobluhm - Jun 2, 2021

28 by MangaBalanga »»
Jun 13, 5:45 AM

Poll: » Tsuki ga Kirei Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2017

626 by MangaBalanga »»
Jun 13, 5:30 AM

Poll: » Tsuki ga Kirei Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2017

229 by RGreatDanton »»
May 2, 4:40 AM

Poll: » Tsuki ga Kirei Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2017

132 by RGreatDanton »»
May 1, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Tsuki ga Kirei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2017

199 by DanielHu3 »»
Dec 18, 2023 6:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.