Forum Settings
Forums

Dark Mode / Dark Theme / Night Mode / Night Theme on MyAnimeList [Accepted]

New
Dec 3, 2013 7:05 PM

May 2013
Kineta said:
Suggestion Status: In Consideration

This suggestion is still under consideration. As I've mentioned elsewhere, implementing Dark Mode on the website is unfortunately not that simple and we are unable to put all of our resources into this single project right now.

Many web browsers now allow you to force set dark mode across many websites. There are also numerous user styles that can be used in the meantime.

Please bear with us for now.

Guide 1: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1948314
Guide 2: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1747865

i dont know if this topic has been discussed before,but i suggest adding "Night Mode" for MAL, you know some people (maybe) just can open the forum in the night because their activity and when i open MAL in the night, the white/bright view make my eyes hurt so maybe MAL must add "Night Mode"

thx for reading this post and sorry if my grammar isnt good XD

dhota_jr

Mod Edit: Changed Status from "In Consideration" to "Accepted"
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2087554

Koito91Apr 12, 2023 9:23 AM
My favourite anime is K-ON
so im looking a friend who can play guitar especially in guitar cover, and i can play Tenshi Ni Fureta Yo and U&I feel free to teach me or comment in my profil ^_^
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 3, 2013 7:09 PM

May 2012
I've got a night mode extension for youtube. It's great. I'm tired of lowering my brightness for bright white sites.
Dec 3, 2013 7:29 PM

Aug 2009
Not a bad idea, but we all know nothing like that is ever going to get implemented here. So instead of waiting, you could try using Stylish add-on for your browser and apply some of Stylish themes for MAL. I use the Dark theme since I have sensitive eyes and looking at white/bright pages for long doesn't do me good. There's also Night theme among others.
Dec 3, 2013 8:06 PM

May 2013
-Atomsk- said:
I've got a night mode extension for youtube. It's great. I'm tired of lowering my brightness for bright white sites.

yeah, its make my eyes hurt thats why i suggest night mode for mal

metamorphius said:
Not a bad idea, but we all know nothing like that is ever going to get implemented here. So instead of waiting, you could try using Stylish add-on for your browser and apply some of Stylish themes for MAL. I use the Dark theme since I have sensitive eyes and looking at white/bright pages for long doesn't do me good. There's also Night theme among others.

at least i suggested this, and depends on admin will carry it or not, and thx for your suggestion but sometimes i open MAL with my phones and thats software work in phones?
My favourite anime is K-ON
so im looking a friend who can play guitar especially in guitar cover, and i can play Tenshi Ni Fureta Yo and U&I feel free to teach me or comment in my profil ^_^
Dec 3, 2013 10:14 PM

May 2012
Started using a form of night form style like morphius suggested. Liking it so far.
Dec 4, 2013 4:15 AM

Nov 2013
There's actually a free software you can use to solve this problem. It's called f.lux and it automatically adjusts the computer brightness and color levels depending on the time of the day. For instance, when the sun sets, it makes your screen less bright and the colors change to something similar to indoor lights. When the sun rises again in the morning, the screen will change its appearance back to looking brighter like sunlight. It's an overlay so it will affect the computer screen no matter what you're doing. Just make sure to change the transition settings to a slow transition that takes one hour to complete, because, since the transition is CPU intensive, it might "shock" you or lower your FPS. I've been using it for the past 2 months and it seems like the solution you're seeking for.
Dec 4, 2013 6:19 AM

Aug 2009
dhota_jr said:
at least i suggested this, and depends on admin will carry it or not, and thx for your suggestion but sometimes i open MAL with my phones and thats software work in phones?

Do not misunderstand me, I am not saying you should not make a suggestion, I am simply saying it is very unlikely, if not impossible, to be implemented based on my experience with suggestions during 4.5 years I've been on MAL.

I don't think Chrome extensions work on phones (at least they didn't the last time I checked). I don't know about Firefox, as I haven't checked that.

Oaken said:
There's actually a free software you can use to solve this problem. It's called f.lux and it automatically adjusts the computer brightness and color levels depending on the time of the day.

+1
I tested this once to see what the big deal is, and I can say it's can be a really handy programme.
Dec 4, 2013 7:23 AM

Nov 2013
metamorphius said:
+1
I tested this once to see what the big deal is, and I can say it's can be a really handy programme.

Plus, it's also great if you spend too many hours in front of the PC (watching anime -.-) 'cause it delays your eye fatigue.
Apr 5, 2015 2:57 AM
Aug 2014
not sure if this has been a suggestion but I'd love a dark theme for mal. the white background tends to hurt my eyes when up im late an night.

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
TenshoJul 3, 2017 8:10 PM
"I'm so tired, sheep are counting me..."

Sleep Rules Everything Around Me

https://rateyourmusic.com/~DiseaseDW

https://www.last.fm/user/CheeseNubs1
Apr 5, 2015 3:16 AM

Sep 2011
Plenty of themes here: https://userstyles.org/styles/browse/Myanimelist

People have made plenty of dark themes here. You can also find one there and change the background too. I would welcome a Dark Theme to be swappable, but user-scripts do it well enough for me.
Apr 5, 2015 3:54 AM

Oct 2009
Jun 25, 2015 12:05 PM

Nov 2013
As my topic was deleted, i'll post the stuff here, to back this idea.

Yo.

I'd suggest adding a switch kinda thing to switch the default white background to a darker theme.
I know there are some other themes for the site, but maybe everyone's computers ain't too good and they avoid running extra stuff on Chrome to hinder its performance.

Being someone trying to preserve my eyes as I'm around the web a lot, I think about this kinda stuff and the choice to change to better option instead of the default white "lazer" theme in the evening would benefit a lot of people.

All the best~
Nov 3, 2015 1:10 PM

Oct 2013
Its easy on the eyes you know? I'd make every webpage dark if I could lol. I can always use Stylish extension to do this but would be better if this was official.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Nov 3, 2015 1:19 PM

Nov 2014
daAmazinFatB0y said:
Its easy on the eyes you know? I'd make every webpage dark if I could lol. I can always use Stylish extension to do this but would be better if this was official.
Administration is too busy removing current features right now.

Nov 3, 2015 1:20 PM

Jan 2013
I think it sucks. I always use modernized MAL.
Nov 3, 2015 1:27 PM

Oct 2013
Klad said:

Monernised Mal looks much cooler though I prefer MAL Flat

https://userstyles.org/styles/97244/mal-flat

Need a dark theme that doesn't have dark fonts but dark background but looks nice as well.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Nov 3, 2015 1:42 PM

Oct 2009
Nov 3, 2015 1:43 PM

Jan 2013
daAmazinFatB0y said:
Klad said:

Monernised Mal looks much cooler though I prefer MAL Flat

https://userstyles.org/styles/97244/mal-flat

Need a dark theme that doesn't have dark fonts but dark background but looks nice as well.
Forums look strange in MAL Flat. I will try to keep this for a while so my eye gets used to it. Thanks yo
Nov 3, 2015 1:57 PM

Nov 2011
daAmazinFatB0y said:

Here you go. This is what I use.
Feb 20, 2016 11:09 PM

Sep 2014
@Cheese_Nubs
@Senator

We can at least select the dark theme for the list :-)
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1482719
Feb 25, 2016 5:30 PM

Aug 2015
like know how everything is white yeah it kinda puts a strain on my eye i would like it to have dark setting when everything is dark and blue .

but if someone already made this suggestion just throw it away dont be ahole about it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 25, 2016 5:49 PM

Feb 2010
this please!! iv always wanted that on mal
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 25, 2016 6:06 PM
Mar 2014
Dark themes are widely regarded to be less legible than their light counterparts. I would recommend you sit in a well-lit room and tint your device's display with f.lux or a similar software.
Feb 25, 2016 6:32 PM

Aug 2015
Max said:
Dark themes are widely regarded to be less legible than their light counterparts. I would recommend you sit in a well-lit room and tint your device's display with f.lux or a similar software.

you act like you speak for everyone that not very considerate of me or anyone else who might have a problem

you my sire are flawed . plus i said add to the people who prefer a dark theme not change into dark theme and keep it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 25, 2016 6:49 PM

Sep 2007

I was thinking of making a dark theme for my profile, but I realized that wouldn't fix the rest of the site.

Feb 25, 2016 9:09 PM

Feb 2010
I strongly support this suggestion.

And for now you can always just use a dark Stylish skin. There's like ten to try out:
https://userstyles.org/styles/browse/myanimelist
Apr 25, 2016 1:50 AM

Oct 2012
The white really hurts my eyes over time at night.

I would appreciate it if a dark/night version of the site was in development or is already a feature. If you don't know what that is, check TVTropes. It has a night vision option toggled which removes the whiteness of the site when clicked.

The Discord app also has night time support which works similarly to the above.
Apr 25, 2016 4:12 AM
Mar 2014
Light text on a dark background is statistically proven to be harder on your eyes than dark text on a light background. Try using your device in a well-lit room and do so for shorter periods of time.

Regardless, there are many Stylish themes that darken the site, but I would much rather recommend you install f.lux.
vegetablespiritApr 25, 2016 4:16 AM
Oct 24, 2016 1:17 AM

Oct 2013
MAL is all white n blue and while it looks nice, I would prefer a darker version, maybe dark grey or something. I suffer from Keratoconus and bright lights hurt the eyes so a darker skin would not only look nicer but will be easier on the eyes.

I do have a custom theme I use from Userstyles.org but only for my desktop, I can't for the life of me get it to work on my phone. Would love to just have it all official n shit.....would feel better if you know what I mean. I could turn the brightness down on my phone and it does help but white eventually just gets to me and my eyes cant stand it even though I usually love bright colours n bright lights n shit.

Can it be done? Im already looking at the top of the screen where the toolbar thingy is black n orange for MALoween n it looks real nice. Be awesome to switch to a dark black n orange theme.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Oct 24, 2016 2:57 AM

Sep 2016
Oct 24, 2016 3:40 AM

Jul 2009
True, these bright colors hurt my eyes.
Black and orange theme would be great, probably.
Oct 24, 2016 4:02 AM
Aug 2014
+1 from me
i prefer dark themes as well, they are more pleasant for the eye when you use the site for a longer while
Oct 24, 2016 4:22 AM

May 2014
leNerd said:
+1 from me
i prefer dark themes as well, they are more pleasant for the eye when you use the site for a longer while

5/7 can confirm this.

I mean, I have been thinkin abt bringin this up for a while now and somebody else did it. Glad I aint the only one xD.

Really, a pitchblack one isnt necessarily required, any of the mildly darker ones, like Grey, or a duller / darker blue or rather the same one we using for halloween even seems good enuf.
Oct 24, 2016 4:29 AM

Oct 2013
eshwar007 said:
leNerd said:
+1 from me

5/7 can confirm this.

I mean, I have been thinkin abt bringin this up for a while now and somebody else did it. Glad I aint the only one xD.

Really, a pitchblack one isnt necessarily required, any of the mildly darker ones, like Grey, or a duller / darker blue or rather the same one we using for halloween even seems good enuf.

Yeah pitch black just looks shite tbh. Dark grey would be nice as you said.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Oct 24, 2016 4:58 AM

Oct 2015
daAmazinFatB0y said:
I could turn the brightness down on my phone and it does help

Does your phone offer to adjust the display's gamma level ?
For me this more than brightness is what burns into the eyes.

not that I am against a low-contrast-theme or sth., just as an additional measure you maybe can use.
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Oct 24, 2016 5:38 AM
✪Ethereal Fae✪

May 2015
+1 for this suggestion, hope this idea gets considered. :)

𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚞𝚖 𝚜𝚎𝚝 𝚋𝚢 𝚑𝚎𝚢𝚜𝚞𝚗𝚗𝚢
Oct 24, 2016 6:08 AM
Dec 2011
omori said:
yes please.

^^^^^
Oct 24, 2016 6:11 AM
UltimateEnforcer

Apr 2015
I'd also like to +1 this idea
Oct 24, 2016 6:18 AM

May 2016
I really like the idea so +1 for the suggestion.
GO for the dark theme!
Carbon is a chemical Element with symbol C and atomic number 6. It is nonmetallic and tetravalent—making four electrons available to form covalent chemical bonds.
Symbol: C
Atomic mass: 12.0107 u ± 0.0008 u
Atomic number: 6
Electron configuration: [He] 2s22p2
Discovered: 3750 BC
Electrons per shell: 2, 4
Oct 24, 2016 7:14 AM

Aug 2016
Yes, please.
Oct 24, 2016 8:12 AM

Sep 2014
would be cool
dark grey is good choice
Oct 24, 2016 8:51 AM

Apr 2011
Indeed. I, too, prefer darker colors since my eyes can be rather sensitive to bright colors. The blue isn't bad, but the black looks better.
Oct 24, 2016 3:16 PM

Jun 2008
Different color options would be nice :3 They already offered changing the color for status bars for supporters so why not this as well.
Oct 24, 2016 7:37 PM

Feb 2015
I've got to say this Halloween theme is 100% awesome.
Oct 24, 2016 8:43 PM
Jul 2018
Dark grey would pretty be awesome yeah. In fact even the Halloween theme is much more pleasant to the eyes than the blue we have usually.

Please do.
Oct 24, 2016 9:17 PM
Sep 2012
Don't worry everyone.

I'm sure MAL will implement this suggestion soon enough... exclusively for MAL Supporters.

Seems like all the changes lately are being focused towards getting people to pay for no ads :3
Oct 25, 2016 12:20 AM
N/A

Jan 2014
Sure. Let's go.
Oct 25, 2016 10:13 AM

Oct 2013
Everyone here agrees MAL admins.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Oct 25, 2016 8:44 PM

Jun 2015
Agreed. Love the Halloween black at the top now, an option to use a black and white/grey theme would be awesome!
Oct 25, 2016 9:01 PM

Aug 2016
Ya i would agree, furthermore i think most of us browsing anime at night time, it would be more friendlier for the eyes with the black theme

@daAmazinFatB0y im using Chrome extension for the night theme in all sites its called "dark reader" works really good
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Tbr List Suggestion

quartz_goblin - May 24

2 by ShaggyZE »»
Yesterday, 10:24 PM

» a "Read chapters" button similar to "watch episodes"?

Timeline_man - Jun 28

0 by Timeline_man »»
Jun 28, 6:41 PM

» How to make a table on MAL?

Shizuna - Jun 27

3 by AniMarter »»
Jun 28, 7:17 AM

» Ability to sort/filter shows by country

inklingboi08 - Feb 13, 2022

4 by iShipMyFriends »»
Jun 25, 1:22 PM

» Changing anime title to English.

removed-user - Feb 10, 2020

27 by ACEOFGODS »»
Jun 25, 12:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.