Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 27, 2017 3:00 PM

Jul 2013
As soon as Tanya explained what she would do in the war to Zettour I knew she was going to be the leader of the battalion she proposed. It seems she doesn't needs the Being X to end fucked.
Jan 27, 2017 3:09 PM

Sep 2014
I knew it was going to happen, but it was still funny when it happened. Tanya getting used for the plan she came up with LOL
Jan 27, 2017 3:19 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty good episode even though there wasn't any action in it.

Tanya is trying to use the previous life experience as an advantage but it seems to keep on backfiring.

She keeps getting the complete opposite of what she wants.
Jan 27, 2017 3:26 PM
Mar 2016
Nice build up episode and I can't wait to see Tanya go into battle and use her insane fighting abilities.

Still not over how amazing the OP is (ok, the music is probably 75% of the reason why I like the OP but still, it's aesthetic af)
Jan 27, 2017 3:34 PM

May 2015
Hhahaha...Tanya you fucked up. :DD

I'm not sure that we are going to see her/him in "mature" version. She/He could die so easy right now. ;)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 27, 2017 5:13 PM

Jun 2014
All Tanya wants is a quiet life but that all backfired because of her own smarts lol. Lets see how handles being the leader of this battalion.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 27, 2017 5:44 PM

Mar 2011
This episode was so much fun, when she started talking with that man and telling her "backstory" was like "you don't even care who your parents are... you probably didn't even care about your family from previous life!", and then telling him to take care of his family because of his daughter, was hilarious knowing Tanya's twisted mind.
When they showed the angle of the chair Tanya was sitting was just perfect, I laughed so much.
And then Tanya like "well shit I can't do this on my on"
*knock knock*
Tanya: who the f*ck is there?
Visha: I'M HERE TO THE RESCUE
Tanya: f*ck

So sad she can't get her peaceful life she so much wants tho, God is an ass with her
Jan 27, 2017 5:55 PM

Jul 2014
Lol, when she was talking with Zettour she got every answer wrong. It was like seeing someone play hanged man, slow-motion suicide.
Jan 27, 2017 6:29 PM

Aug 2015
"Tanya Degurechaff just wants a quiet life"

I'm liking this anime a lot more than I expected. Pretty interesting and the monologues are good.
Jan 27, 2017 7:33 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm, really okay episode.I thought they was showing present but when that girl came, i then realise that its still 'past continuous'.
Jan 27, 2017 7:55 PM
Jan 2016
So at the very end of the credits Zettour says "This is good stuff" enjoying a cigar. Any chance Zettour was being x at that moment?
Jan 27, 2017 8:23 PM

Jun 2016
Found it to be a pretty boring episode...
Jan 27, 2017 9:39 PM
Jan 2016
RKarim69f117 said:
Hmm, really okay episode.I thought they was showing present but when that girl came, i then realise that its still 'past continuous'.

It is the present, Viktoriya is in an officer's uniform now. In the six months that Tanya's been at the war college, Viktoriya finished her officer's course and was promoted from Corporal to Second Lieutenant.

CommanderAmarao said:
So at the very end of the credits Zettour says "This is good stuff" enjoying a cigar. Any chance Zettour was being x at that moment?

At the end of the last episode Zettour's hair falls forward to obscure his eye from the camera when he sees "Deus lo vult" on the back of Tanya's papers; I might be reading too much into it, but this could be symbolic of Zettour being influenced by Being X - this being based on the whole "eyes are the window to the soul" thing, that "目を眩ます" (to blind the eyes of) means to deceive in Japanese, and the assumption that the animators wouldn't throw in useless hair movement like that for no reason.

That being said, I think it's still mostly Zettour. In episode 1 Zettour declared that he's sworn off wine until the Empire's victory and in the promotion dinner we can see he's drinking water just like Tanya is, so that shows a consistency in behavior; on the other hand we also see he never smokes during the meetings despite all his peers smoking as well, so there is something odd about him suddenly puffing on a cigar only during and after giving Tanya the shaft.
MysteriousBananaJan 27, 2017 9:44 PM
Jan 27, 2017 10:31 PM

Jan 2011
Kaetokiha said:
Tanya tried her best to stay in a safe position, but Satou-san appeared and ruined her plans. No one can escape Satou-san even in a different anime.

This anime is surprisingly good. It makes me sad to see that it will be only 12 episodes.

OMG that Houchuu Ootsuka's voice totally caught me off guard! Not until this lengthy conversation I didn't even notice it in the earlier episodes.
Jan 27, 2017 11:10 PM

Jun 2013
Despite being a build up episode, it went by really quickly.

Getting ordered to organize the battalion was bound to happen; this series can't end without more deranged battle loli badass-ness.

And Mr. General Zettour lookin' mighty sus there...
Jan 27, 2017 11:12 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
There were a lot of interesting things in the 4th episode, and it's a good lead in to the next arc, but I just through the fact that she's having dinner with a General & a Colonel while sitting in a high chair was hilarious

Jan 27, 2017 11:49 PM

Aug 2012
Great episode. Was obvious to me that Tanya would be set up for the job she mentioned. Poor thing lol.

The voice acting was amazing again.
Jan 28, 2017 12:39 AM

May 2014
And the more she tries, the more she fails. She shouldn't be so good!

Never get tired of Tanya's inner monologues, vs what she says to other people...the contrast is pretty hilarious. Her character is coming along nicely!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2017 4:57 AM

Nov 2011
Ever since it started the episode, I had the feeling that something would go wrong, it was a feeling that hung in the air, I do not know why; maybe it's about the script, who knows! However, when Tanya, wanted to overdo it, I immediately thought that it would be a grave dug with his own hands, in this case, applies the famous phrase: "Silence is golden." I wonder why, reunited with Tanya, the character of Visha. I hope I know how to give a complete answer in future episodes. Excellent part played by actors, they managed to surprise me, because I imagined that it would be the character of Erich von Rerugen, to put a spoke in the wheel, against Tanya, and not the old man of Hans von Zettour; it was unfortunate that Tanya that day he met him in the library. This shows that even the most elaborate responses, can not have anything against fate; This is the greatness of this episode or the entire anime series.
Jan 28, 2017 5:52 AM
Jun 2013
terrablu2003 said:
Ever since it started the episode, I had the feeling that something would go wrong, it was a feeling that hung in the air, I do not know why; maybe it's about the script, who knows! However, when Tanya, wanted to overdo it, I immediately thought that it would be a grave dug with his own hands, in this case, applies the famous phrase: "Silence is golden." I wonder why, reunited with Tanya, the character of Visha. I hope I know how to give a complete answer in future episodes. Excellent part played by actors, they managed to surprise me, because I imagined that it would be the character of Erich von Rerugen, to put a spoke in the wheel, against Tanya, and not the old man of Hans von Zettour; it was unfortunate that Tanya that day he met him in the library. This shows that even the most elaborate responses, can not have anything against fate; This is the greatness of this episode or the entire anime series.

Well tbf, Rerugen(/lehrgen?) tries to do as much as he can to stop her advancement in the military ranks, but he's simply not high enough and is responsible with other tasks due to his position where he needs to travel around.

This means if important decisions, like the mage battlewing, are decided there's a good chance he's not there or to even know about upcoming topics to decide on until they are a done deal and notifications get sent around.
Jan 28, 2017 6:07 AM

Aug 2016
I sort of expect filler campus life episode, but we essencialy got only more militry stuff. Iam not even mad, I actualy like it.

I was like say something about not throwing whole world against you, but stop about that agressive stuff to show your love for fatherland, its trap. And it was trap, by being X/God. I dont really like this weird mystery forcing from behind, on the other hand, I guess its necessary evil, when main character is actually businessman who want easy life in rear.

But I really love this anime, its like Izzeta without naive rainbow sunshine lover main character, but machiavelistic rather.
I also like render of Empire society, she put horrendous promote campaing so she get suffered with lack of personal, but get enourmous interest for the job. It's really faithful to german national military society of WW1. If she would be actually historian, she could pressume this reaction.

Also Tanya on childern chair at dinner and reapering of big eyed witch was funny.

Expecting half/one whole more filler episode with forming battalion, then actual war stuff for rest anime. I fear it will be only 12 episode, even thou Iam praying Being X for 25, our lord and savior. Sorry, I didnt notice they add number of episodes.

PS: Isnt 48 people really low to form a "battalion"? I guess mages are treated like panzers or wings of aviation.
Martin_TaylorJan 28, 2017 6:10 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2017 6:11 AM

Jun 2013
Tanya thought she was being smart but she played right into kami-sama's hands. Lol when her plan started to fail and things were going wrong for her. Like how she keeps her cool face on while screaming inside. This show has some unexpected comedy lol. And she wants to kill Being X which shows that she doesn't believe that Being X is kami-sama even though she has come across so many humanely impossible things so far. Feels like Umineko where the guy was denying the existence of witches and magic even though he was getting some help from magic and a witch. At least this is coming off as different and way more interesting than that.
Jan 28, 2017 8:24 AM
Jan 2016
Martin_Taylor said:
PS: Isnt 48 people really low to form a "battalion"? I guess mages are treated like panzers or wings of aviation.

Yeah, it looks like they're abbreviating terms. Air battalion (航空大隊/koku daitai) is the term used for a wing-sized aviation unit of 24~48 planes, which is composed of two squadrons (中隊/chutai) of 12~24 planes each.

Given that mages are shown to operate in flights of 4 and the "companies" (which is also "chutai" for extra confusion) Tanya encountered are actually squadrons of 12, it's clear they're referring to an air battalion rather than an infantry battalion when Zettour proposes a new "daitai".
Jan 28, 2017 10:03 AM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
MysteriousBanana said:
Martin_Taylor said:

Yeah, it looks like they're abbreviating terms. Air battalion (航空大隊/koku daitai) is the term used for a wing-sized aviation unit of 24~48 planes, which is composed of two squadrons (中隊/chutai) of 12~24 planes each.

Given that mages are shown to operate in flights of 4 and the "companies" (which is also "chutai" for extra confusion) Tanya encountered are actually squadrons of 12, it's clear they're referring to an air battalion rather than an infantry battalion when Zettour proposes a new "daitai".

In the LN/Manga, it's actually a Wing, not a Battalion

And also - isn't she supposed to now be Tanya Von Degurechaff, since she was one of the 12 Knights
Jan 28, 2017 10:41 AM

Apr 2015
I'm not smart enough with all the shitty talk.

NEED.MORE.LOLI.ACTION.
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Jan 28, 2017 12:06 PM

Sep 2012
All because of a "deus lo vult" written on a paper in the previous episode.
Jan 28, 2017 3:08 PM

Jan 2011
Well it's safe to say salarayman got reborn as a loli Nazi.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jan 28, 2017 3:35 PM

Mar 2015
Martin_Taylor said:

Considering mages seem to have basically replaced any perceivable airforce in this world, it's not surprising. I also wouldn't be surprised if mages have curbed any development into tanks as a weapon of war. Any slow moving armored unit is just asking for a magic bullet to the face. (this is an alternate WW1 remember, it's like rolling out the Mark IV with an Apache Helicopter sitting above it.)

MysteriousBanana probably does explained this bit best.

Now, onto the episode itself. I thought it was hilarious, it's the perfect irony of being so clever you get into the worst position you proposed yourself. XD The number of times I was thinking that Tanya should put away the shovel of the hole she was digging is top. I look forward to see how she deals with it next!
Jan 28, 2017 3:58 PM

Aug 2016
MysteriousBanana said:

Thanks man, looks like you really know what you talking about, see you later on some other military stuff.
Jan 28, 2017 4:04 PM
Sep 2014
elkensteyin said:

Moot point; different translators may translate the same word differently if there are multiple plausible translations. What was the word used in the original text?
Jan 28, 2017 4:17 PM

Sep 2014
Makes me think more and more that X is going to get that girl killed and Tanya is going to be forced to plead and beg X to take her instead. Thus revealing sympathy, compassion and a need for X's existence......until we see Tanya give that classic "Gotcha bitch" smirk at the end.

Also, I need some help
Jan 28, 2017 4:21 PM

Dec 2016
I really hope that she gets concerned about others (maybe with the girl at the end of the episode) but rekts X regarding the praising fact....
"Discuss anime, respect opinions, be critical and have a fun time ;)" -I hope not a Karen haha
Jan 28, 2017 5:18 PM
Jan 2016
elkensteyin said:

And also - isn't she supposed to now be Tanya Von Degurechaff, since she was one of the 12 Knights

Well, the term "wing" and "air battalion" both show up if you look up WW1 air services, and the only numbers I could find indicate they share the same numbers and structure, so they're essentially the same. I believe I read somewhere the translators chose to use army terms instead of air force terms because mages use army ranks and are under the army's command, but that just seems like it would invite all sorts of confusion.

I'm not familiar with how "von" is used when just referring to someone by their surname, but they do omit it when referring to Zettour, Rugersdorf, and Rerugen, so it wouldn't be inconsistent to omit it from Tanya's name as well. I don't know if this is because of how the LN handled it or if they just didn't want to subject the voice actors to constantly try to pronounce "v".

Martin_Taylor said:
Thanks man, looks like you really know what you talking about, see you later on some other military stuff.

Oh, not at all. I only have superficial knowledge, I just use my limited understanding of Japanese and a lot of Google-fu to find the relevant information. If this anime was in another language I wouldn't even know where to start.
Jan 28, 2017 5:19 PM
Oct 2012
MasterHavik said:

Nope, this is pre-Hilter, and since Hitler responded to Germany's defeat during WWI, and this IS WWI, Tanya winning would be what would prevent Hitler from rising in power.

Plus Tanya doesn't care about groups of people, she only cares about individuals. She is an efficiency maniac - so unless you believe race or group somehow makes everyone in the race or group less efficient (i.e. you are racist), then she wouldn't care.
Jan 28, 2017 5:20 PM
Jan 2016
Fredo_p said:
Also, I need some help

Oh come on, that's not even a fair comparison.

Tanya's clearly holding a bow in the right.
Jan 28, 2017 5:25 PM
Oct 2012
MysteriousBanana said:
I'm not familiar with how "von" is used when just referring to someone by their surname, but they do omit it when referring to Zettour, Rugersdorf, and Rerugen, so it wouldn't be inconsistent to omit it from Tanya's name as well. I don't know if this is because of how the LN handled it or if they just didn't want to subject the voice actors to constantly try to pronounce "v".

That is actually a good question. Would such titles be used in the military when there are already ranks? "von" would be more for public consumption.

LOL, google comes to the rescue - though it relies on memory, it makes since why they wouldn't use it in the military.
https://www.quora.com/When-a-German-name-contains-the-word-von-do-you-include-the-von-or-not-when-you-write-only-his-last-name-in-a-sentence
Jan 28, 2017 5:26 PM
Oct 2012
MysteriousBanana said:
Fredo_p said:
Also, I need some help

Oh come on, that's not even a fair comparison.

Tanya's clearly holding a bow in the right.

Plus Tanya's eyes are larger, rounder, and hence as both Disney and Neoteny prove, cuter.
Jan 28, 2017 5:39 PM

Jan 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
MasterHavik said:

Nope, this is pre-Hilter, and since Hitler responded to Germany's defeat during WWI, and this IS WWI, Tanya winning would be what would prevent Hitler from rising in power.

Plus Tanya doesn't care about groups of people, she only cares about individuals. She is an efficiency maniac - so unless you believe race or group somehow makes everyone in the race or group less efficient (i.e. you are racist), then she wouldn't care.
Fair point. That is a good angle to base the LN/Manga around. I think whoever is writing is pretty smart.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jan 28, 2017 8:24 PM

Oct 2016
well Tanya never expect that to happen.. seems like there will be a huge war coming up ..
Jan 29, 2017 1:51 AM

Sep 2010
Plot twist of the century.

"Tanya will become this world's Hitler."

Take it as you will I will watch and hope.
Jan 29, 2017 2:27 AM
Oct 2007
A fast track promotion to Major! Kid getting to lead her first battalion, another 48 high level mages under her next episode!! I'm so hyped!!!

I got a feeling that the question asked in the class to her will affect her decision later on in the war. Maybe her heart got soft and made choices that she might have to pay for ..
Jan 29, 2017 2:32 AM

Jul 2016
Tanya impressing the general by her answer, though unfortunately, she end up putting herself on danger. And she's going to command a battalion. But well she looks like going to enjoyed it.
Jan 29, 2017 5:32 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
hmm safety behind the lines for the moment to receive further education eh
Tanya got her wish i guess

It never ceases to amaze me just how different the civilians find the war and view it compared to the soldiers. Then again they are miles from the frontlines and that all they listen to is Propaganda.

Glad to see that Tanya is at least enjoying her studies
Hmm a military university eh
apart from the subjects i wonder what the difference is with normal universities

Hmm so it seems Tanya also knows military law as well then eh
still why does Tanya carry her rifle to class as well
Surely there's no need for it in class
So she feels uneasy without it and she's always ready to shoot X when needed lol

Lol being short can be such a pain sometimes
lol bumping into a general in the library

hmm interesting in that the director of strategy is asking for Tanya's opinion of the war. But since Tanya is already a veteran and just came back from the frontlines i guess its no surprise.

Lol Tanya's answers in the beginning was focused on safety and being neutral but i guess that won't work here

Hmm a world war eh
well since the empire is still relatively new and at the same time it has an impressive military its only logical to assume that the rest of the world will view it as a threat and eliminate it before it gets any stronger
This is a good point from Tanya though

Man being surrounded by so much hostiles states will be a nightmare
Having to defend three different fronts will be hard and next to impossible

Lol Tanya is having fun in that conversation
Ruthless and intelligent are the right terms to describe her
But lol Tanya treating this like a business presentation

Top marks for Tanya for reacting swiftly when it become apparent that she appeared weak though.
Still Tanya's opinion and idea was actually pretty good

Hmm so Tanya's ideas and theories were summed up into a report and issued to the senior staff eh.
Still the thought of a world war is a scary thought indeed

Hmm Tanya is pretty sure of herself after outlining that idea of hers
hmm thats a good question that the captain posted to Tanya
With her talents she could indeed have been anything really

Seeing Tanya who looks like a kid as a soldier its natural that the captain who has a daughter of his own would worry about whether she too would have to be deployed to the front.
Hmm despite this being an act Tanya's word to the captain sounded sincere

Hmm in the kind of defensive war that they are currently fighting the creation of a rapid response unit that could be moved at will be pretty useful as it can reinforce any front that is under attack.

It seems that Rerugen is intent on proving that Tanya is a monster then
Hmm so Tanya become a member of the 12 knights after getting the captain to resign eh crafty of her indeed

Well Tanya got her wish of being assigned to HQ but at the same time she's also leading the new RRF on the frontlines as well
Back to the frontlines you go Tanya lol

Lol thats an impressive collection of mages applications there
Looks like Tanya does have to take the time to consider who to accept after all
Lol that poster that Tanya created though

And thats how Tanya and Visha met then eh

Overall a good episode
We get to see what life was like for the civilians and soldiers that are behind the front lines and see how Tanya is faring in military university. Arguably the highlight of the episode was Tanya's theory and ideas for a world war. Its ironic that despite Tanya's attempt to stay away from the frontlines that she's been assigned to lead a new rapid response battalion on the frontlines instead.
Jan 29, 2017 5:42 AM

Sep 2015
I feel like Tanya is now starting to show more of her emotions, really starting to love her more as a character, I hope she does well commanding a battalion
Jan 29, 2017 11:48 AM
Jul 2016
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting episode. We got Tanya handling his military duties as usual but also more exploration of his military studies including the rules and fundamentals. I do wish they put more time into the action but for it's worth, I think the pacing is working out well to develop more of Tanya's character and life.

The small amount of details they put into what Tanya does at the military school is also rather interesting too. He has a lot of work! lol.
I expect action to pick up again soon.

She is actually a girl.
Jan 29, 2017 4:49 PM

Sep 2014
shikifichan said:
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting episode. We got Tanya handling his military duties as usual but also more exploration of his military studies including the rules and fundamentals. I do wish they put more time into the action but for it's worth, I think the pacing is working out well to develop more of Tanya's character and life.

The small amount of details they put into what Tanya does at the military school is also rather interesting too. He has a lot of work! lol.
I expect action to pick up again soon.

She is actually a girl.

Both depending on how you look at it. A man, cut in his prime, forced to be in the body of a girl. It could be either way. I'm having a hard time with it myself.
Jan 29, 2017 5:00 PM

Aug 2016
shikifichan said:

She is actually a girl.

I also see her as main female character, but you know, there is a thing about being salaryman in previous life, which created her personality because she still remembers it.
Jan 29, 2017 5:59 PM
Jul 2018
It seems things are starting to get interesting. I wonder if the Emperor will ever make an appearance?
Jan 29, 2017 6:30 PM
Jan 2016
Fredo_p said:
Both depending on how you look at it. A man, cut in his prime, forced to be in the body of a girl. It could be either way. I'm having a hard time with it myself.

Personally I think it's pretty simple: Tanya is physically female and thinks in a female voice, so she should just be referred to as such. I'd only be torn about what pronoun to use if the director split the voice work so that the internal monologue was done in the male voice, but since that isn't the case I figure Tanya likely accepts her new gender (much like how she's accepted all the other absurdities of her new life).
Jan 29, 2017 6:37 PM

Sep 2014
MysteriousBanana said:
Personally I think it's pretty simple: Tanya is physically female and thinks in a female voice, so she should just be referred to as such. I'd only be torn about what pronoun to use if the director split the voice work so that the internal monologue was done in the male voice, but since that isn't the case I figure Tanya likely accepts her new gender (much like how she's accepted all the other absurdities of her new life).

True. We rarely get to hear her male voice.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2017

292 by Luutio »»
Jun 25, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2017

125 by lazypanda666 »»
Jun 21, 9:05 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2017

111 by lazypanda666 »»
Jun 15, 10:35 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2017

176 by lazypanda666 »»
Jun 13, 1:47 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2017

187 by lazypanda666 »»
Jun 8, 7:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.